Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Echo

Comments

• koyoteeekoyoteee Posts: 17
    Danny, thanks for the mileage info. I will look forward to getting more km/l once the warmer weather, and more highway driving comes.
  • babyboomerbabyboomer Posts: 205
    I think we are all being flagged.
  • sonatafansonatafan Posts: 171
    A flag for the country listed in your profile. Cool. My Echo is still going strong, 27,300+ miles!
  • kneisl1kneisl1 Posts: 1,690
    It could be that you have a dammaged belt in one of the front tires. Did the dealer rotate the tires? Did he inspect for a separated belt? If the tires were rotated that should pretty much eliminate a dammaged tire. I'd jack the car up and remove the wheels myself and check the rims very carefully for dents (you didn't hit any holes or curbs, did you?) and the surface of the tire itself for a "squirm" in the tread pattern which would indicate a separated belt. If the tires were not rotated definately have that done and see if you lose the vibe.
  • kaz6kaz6 Posts: 331
    as far as vibration when pulling in 1st...it's fairly normal, at least what I've experienced. It's just the torque of the motor...something that only happens under part-throttle acceleration for me.
    I agree with Kneisl1 re:tires. I've had silky smooth ride cruising at 85 on asphalt.
  • amaranthamaranth Posts: 13
    Well, this is turning into more of an adventure than I thought. The dealer that had my car (which my dealer was trading for) decided to sell it, after telling us that they'd hold it for my dealer to pick it up today. (stay away from the toyota dealer in saratoga springs!) So now I'm looking at a factory order (since I don't want to go automatic or red) because there's nothing coming in or in the extended area. They claim 4-6 weeks for delivery. So I'm trying to decide if I want to wait on it (and see about getting side airbags thrown in as well), or try the Autobytel/CarsDirect.com angle. Or buy a Sentra or a Civic instead! *sigh*
  • bluedivabluediva Posts: 3
    I just got my new echo last night. This is my first car! But the dealer excepted my offer a little too quickly, I kind of feel like I might have paid too much. I paid 70 dollars less than the TMV price so I guess thats all right I just hope I got a good deal. Also you guys have me worried about the dent thing, is the body cladding supposed to help with that?? I'd hate to see my new pretty blue car with dents. It already has snow on it. But I still love it!
    You are experienceing a form of buyers remorse. Even if you paid 500 under TMV you'd still be thinking "Could I have gotten it for less?" Everyone does that its human nature. The important thing is you bought a good reliable car that will serve you well for years to come. But definately park your car AWAY from the other idiots at the supermarket and walk the extra distance! Thats what I do!
  • majorthomechomajorthomecho Posts: 1,331
    The body cladding will not protect against dents because it is so low on the body and there is no strip molding. Just try to give people on either side of you plenty of room.
  • majorthomechomajorthomecho Posts: 1,331
    About the idea of taking pictures of people denting cars and providing proof to the car owners. It would be a good idea, but you might end up an accessory to murder. If I had pictures of who dented my Major, I might have killed the guy. ; )

FYI, for those who cannot tell, I am saying the above in jest.

FWIW, this is post 1300. Anyone want to try for 1400?

About 3600 miles on the Major and he is not yet four months old. Actually like three and a half months old.
  • levine90levine90 Posts: 21
    Took a test drive today in a four door automatic Echo, not very far, but I was able to make a few observations. Kind of loud accelerating, but extremely quiet once you're up to speed! A very smooth ride for a compact car, and I didn't really notice any major cornering problems from the height or light weight. Extremely maneuverable, but this is coming from an 88 Tempo owner (hey, what can I do, I'm just 16 :p) so it's all relative I suppose.

One thing I did notice, though, is that out of the four Echos on the lot, three had cruise. From what I've read here, people are saying cruise control is not an option? The device looked almost exactly like the one on my mom's 99 Camry. Just thought I'd share this with you guys - it seemed real enough :)

Cheers,
    Peter
  • carleton1carleton1 Posts: 560
    The ECHO performance, comfort, visibility, etc.
    were really good for a small car. Performed much better than any of the many 4 cylinder with a manual transmission that we have owned.
    I hope your observation of cruise indicates that cruise is now a factory option.
  • I just turned over 1000 miles on my seafoam blue echo (I've had it 2 weeks). I purposely drove about 10 miles out of my way so that it would fittingly finish the break in period on Pacific Coast Highway somewhere near Malibu's Paradise Cove.
    So far so good for this little car. I've actually noticed that it seems to ride smoothest at about 75-80mph. I've think I've finally gotten used to the auto trans and have learned how to use the overdrive off button for climbing hills, etc.
    Hoping to get my cruise control installed this week upcoming. So far I've been getting about 36 mpg in 70/30 freeway/city driving for the first two tanks of gas. Much better than our RAV4.
  • sonatafansonatafan Posts: 171
    Just to clear something up for potential buyers. Cruise control is still NOT a factory option. Any Echo seen with cruise control has had a dealer or third party installation.

Some dealer and third party installs can look very stock and professional, as some people have already noted.

P.S. I'm not in Italy, I just like the flag because it represents my heritage!
  • vitaminjvitaminj Posts: 15
    Hi everyone. Is there something I should know about break in time? I hope I'm not supposed to be doing something special to my new car. I asked the dealer if I had to do anything in particular for the initial miles and he said no. Also, I found a small nick in the paint from driving on the highway, no doubt! You know how the front end of your car gets those nicks from the pebbles etc.......I can't take it! Where/how do I get touch up paint? Just from an auto place or is there someplace better?
  • I am a *new* teacher, and I currently own a 91 tercel with only 73,000 miles on it which has been absolutley wonderful to me. (his name is Henry) I went looking at used tercels today, and just can't seem to decide between a 98 tercel (last year the tercel was made) and a new, or 1 year old used echo. Any ideas? Anyone out there a former tercel owner. I think the echo definitely is *different* looking, but I know I could grow to love it...and I figure if it replaced the tercel, it HAS to be great. Any ideas?
    Thanks!
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    If I were you, I would go with the used Echo. It's a better handling, safer, more powerful car all around. Also, make sure the cars are certified used cars by Toyota too. They extend the warranty for a longer period of time.
  • bluedivabluediva Posts: 3
    Thanks Kneis1, I'm think I'm pretty much over my buyers remorse. I guess being a bargin shopper I just need to know I got the best deal. Plus I'm loving my car so much I have no time to worry about the price. I already put 250 miles on it in three days. I did have another question for you echo owner in cold climates. Does anyone else have that little blue light pop up? The book says its because the engine is cool. But I have to sit like 5 to 8 minutes before it goes away. This is my first car, does it take that long for a new car to warm up? or should I take it in to get that checked out? (it snowed here and its been like in the 30's). Thanks guys.
  • janbeejanbee Posts: 127
    The blue light comes on everytime for me, I believe it just means the engine hasnt warmed up yet...but I never wait for the light to turn off...I just turn the car on and go...you will notice the light turns off faster if the car is moving...the civic I used to drive took forever to warm up, the echo warms up in a flash!!
  • 8k8mica8k8mica Posts: 19
    Have any of you guys put your car in the 3rd gear and really put your foot on the metal, Do you realise the VVT-i kicking in at 2500rpm, it kicks in and gives you this burst of power , really feels great, although I am trying hard not to run it in real hard.If you want to test drive this echo sedan, try pushing it past 2800rpm on the 3rd and you will feel the power of vvt-i
  • 8k8mica8k8mica Posts: 19
    I live in the tropics , (singapore) and was wondering if you guys have tried any other tyres on your car except the standard bridgestones, how abt yokohama's anybody
    I have I very good set of Toyo tires on my wifes Accord station wagen which have like 50,000 miles on them and still have plenty of tread left. On their website they describe the Toyo 800 which has a tire wear rating of 700 (they claim 100,000 mile life). When the Potenzas go on the ECHO I'll probably go to them or maybe the new Aquatread 3's which advertise 80,000 mile tire life.
  • Hello all. Just wanted to report that i finally (after 3 months of ownership) took the ecopod on a road trip. I drove from San Francisco on highway 1 all the way to Santa Maria CA. Wow, what a beautiful ride! The views were amazing and it was extremely hilly. Despite the hills and many stops i averaged about 40-42 mpg. On the way back I took the very flat 101 direct route and got between 48-50 mpg!!! This is a great little vehicle! I am wondering if any of you know how and when to use the overdrive button? I think using this on the hills might have improved mpg.
  • kaz6kaz6 Posts: 331
    I had Michelin MXV4plus on my last car. The grooves are cut all the way down to ensure good dispersion for the life of the tire. They gave a very good ride without sacrificing much in performance-more GT than performance tire though. The only drawback is the price-$110 ea. The other tire I'm considering is the Pirelli P6000 Sport Veloce. They have great consumer reviews and are inexpensive- $55-60 ea. Luckily, I don't live in snow country so traction in slush is not a concern.
    As far as 3rd gear I agree! Have always enjoyed the passing power. There is a HUGE gap in speeds between 1st and 2nd though. Once the engine is on the boil 3-4-5 is very satisfying. That's one of the reasons I wanted a 5spd...now if only they'd get on board and mate a 6-spd with the VVT-i engine!!!
  • edwarda1edwarda1 Posts: 18
    The one thing that concerns me about buying an Echo is there is no protection for parking lot dings. I have seen after market strips advertised , but $100.00 seems high.Any ideas about making some?
  • harlekharlek Posts: 8
    One of the biggest complaints about the Echo is that is moves around alot on the road, especially in winds. The day I bought mine I installed bigger rims and the appropriate diameter tires (used tirerack.com). However, for the winter months, I put my stock wheels back on. This weekend, I re installed my 15" rims. Not only do they look great, but from experience, I can tell you that they make a tremendous difference in handling. The impact of the road and winds on handling is far less noticeable with the bigger tires.

Something to consider. I actually have no problems driving my car with the stock rims, but the bigger ones really do make a difference!
  • vitaminjvitaminj Posts: 15
    My blue light goes on everytime too, and I live in Buffalo. My understanding is that it's supposed to go on. I don't wait for it to go off either, I just go. What I noticed though, is that the engine holds back a bit until the light goes off.
    I had a Tercel too. A 1990. It had over 137000 miles on it when I traded it in. I really liked it. It was very reliable. I've only had my Echo for a couple of weeks and it's fun to drive except for in the snow. I think it's me, though. I finally checked my tire pressure and it's normal. Maybe I'll invest in the bigger tires or the winter tires. MAYBE. I think I'd recommend the used Echo. When I'm having a bad day, I get in a better mood when I drive it.
    Bluediva, don't sit and wait for the blue light to go off before driving the car. It fouls up the engine, because the air/fuel mixture is overly "rich" when a car is cold, and by not driving it, you are depriving it even more of needed air. Besides, your idling car is getting 0 miles per gallon :) Crank the temperature control all the way up when the car is cold, and you should have heat blowing out quickly: the Echo has a supplemental electric heater to warm you up quickly - don't worry about the car warming up, it will take care of itself.
    kneisl1, thanks for the tire advice. I don't know if the dealer rotated the tires or not - they said they balanced all 4 wheels, but the problem is still there. It's going back in tomorrow, so I will definitely get them to rotate the tires, and check them.
    kaz6, thanks for your help on my vibrations question. The vibration I was feeling occasionally pulling away in first seems to have stopped. The dealer service guy thought it was one of the clutch plates not sitting properly. He said it would either get better or worse. So far, so good.