Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Echo

Comments

• majorthomechomajorthomecho Member Posts: 1,331
    Dear Edmunds:

I have noticed that you have updated your Reviews and Info section regarding the 2002 Echo to include a "Edmunds.com Says" statement. Your statement says and I quote, "Current Echo owners don't like us. There's a reason. We don't like the Echo."

This is typical of Edmunds. While it is true that I, a current Echo owner, don't like you, it is because of much more than your not liking my car. It is fine that you don't like my car. It has to do with your being factually wrong when it comes to the Echo, inconsistently biased, and failing to tell the whole story.

An example of your being factually wrong is what you say about a fully loaded 2002 Echo. You claim that a fully loaded Echo would still require someone to roll down their own windows. This is simply NOT true. Power windows are an option and have been since sometime during the 2001 model year. And in fact, you have already been informed by myself (and others) of this error.

My not liking you also comes from my thinking you are selectively biased against the Echo. An example of this is that you call the placement of the gauge cluster in the Echo dopey, but in the BMW Z8, it is a tribute to the past. Why is it dopey in one and not the other?

Another example of your inconsistent biasedness is that in the Top 10 Most Fuel-Efficient Cars article, your writer takes the Echo to task, and very harshly I might add, for not coming with power windows. A fact that may have been true at the time of the writing, but my problem is that she does not display the same level of venom for the Kia Rio, another car that, even if you load it up with every option, did not come with power windows. And still does not.

Yet another example of your negative Echo bias is in your "What's New" statement of the Reviews and Info section for the 2002 Echo. You make a reference to the slow sales. What does that have to do with what's new? And did you make the statement in that section for any other car?

Finally, I want to talk about safety and this goes to the heart of my complaint about your not telling the whole story. In the same Top 10 article, your writer makes reference to your preferring a gently used and larger Protege, Sentra, or Civic. Presumably you want a larger car for safety reasons. Well, in side impact crash tests which are the only results that can be compared between the Echo, the Protege, Sentra, or Civic, the Echo is rated as safe for the front seat occupants as a 2000 Protege (the most recent one tested), the 1999 Sentra (the one most recently tested for side impacts), and the 2000 Civic (at the time of the writing of the article the 2001 Civic would not have considered a used car). The Echo is as safe as the aforementioned Protege and safer than the aforementioned Sentra and Civic when it comes to the rear seat occupants.

I have read where you call yourself an unbiased source of information. I think even an outside observer would see you are very biased against the Echo.

And those are the reasons I don't like you. Not simply because you don't like my car. It is fine that you don't like my car, but don't lie about it, be inconsistent in your criticism or fail to tell the whole story.

Sincerely,
    MajorThomEcho
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    Nice knowing you Major. I know your account will be cancelled after that letter is received. :) j/k

Truthfully though, I did notice them seeming to be a little "nasty" towards the Echo. That is not fair, and not good journalism either. Journalists, particularly ones that test cars for a living, shouldn't let their personal opinions get in the way so much because while it does matter, you have to be open-minded when it comes to the product.

Another thing: In the very first Echo test of the 2-door, the author mentions "Focus" several times and even provides a link to the Focus test. The test could be resourceful, but the way it's mentioned (like a stab) is not professional. That's why I don't read reviews on Edmund's or many other resources about cars. If I wanna know how it feels or drives, I go to the dealership myself and check it out. That's the best way to know what's what with a vehicle.
  • elominelomin Member Posts: 4
    I would recommend going to Old Mill Toyota, that's where I got mine and I think they're great. Very easy to deal with and I like their service department. I don't really know what kind of deal you can get, but mine was around 12,800 for a 5-speed with everything but a cd player.
    I would agree with you Vocus about them canceling my account but they have not cancelled it yet and I have "slapped" them upside the head several times already. ; )

This may be playing with fire, but I am going to retype and send that letter directly to the editor.
  • lgoldinlgoldin Member Posts: 90
    Can you tell me when you got your car and if you don't mind the sale person's name? Also, since the purchasing is kind of different in US and Canada, is 12800 is final price or before taxes, licenses and such?
    Thanks again for your info.
    Well, I am not flaming anyone. I am being very reasonable in my complaints I think. And a number of issues have been raised with Edmunds before. Now, if they had been dealt with I would have no business bringing them up, but Edmunds has not dealt with them so they are fair game. IMHO.
    I am confused about Echo's options. Edmunds says that I have to get G1 package in order to get G2, but configurator actually allows to set G2 along. Can anybody tell me which package should I get if I must have A/C, auto and power locks? Is it real to get ABS on Echo? The rest of options is not important.
    When I am looking at various cars, I prefer to use the configurator at Carsdirect.com. I have not been to Edmunds' configurator for some time, but CD's won't let you choose an option more than once and if you have to have one option package to get another, CD tells you. I would suggest your going to CD.

To answer your question, you have to get either Sport body cladding or Upgrade Package 1 if you want Upgrade Package 2.

I think you left out a word in your question about ABS, but I think you are asking if it is hard to get. If that is the question, the answer is that it is a factory ordered option. That is you have to order the whole car which could take four to six months.

Personally, I have not felt the need for ABS in the almost ten months I have had the car.
    And you and I agree that Edmunds is not correct when figuring out the depreciation.
    Carsdirect.com indicates that Upgrade Package 1 includes something called the Sports Package Indicator. I have a 2001 Toyota Echo with UP1, UP2, and the All Weather Package and I don't recall seeing any indication I have the sports package.

What the heck is a Sports Package Indicator?
  • carleton1carleton1 Member Posts: 560
    And I do not even own one (yet). I do not think the ECHO is an overly beautiful car but feel it is truly the "Beautiful Swan that evolved from the Ugly Duckling" once a person closely examines and drives it.
    The ECHO has exceptional: Comfort, quality, reliability, performance, utility, fuel economy, low purchase price (when sensibly equipped).
    ....what more could anyone want?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    majorthom - you do know, don't you, that the editors may not see your post here? You should forward it to editor@edmunds.com to be sure that your comments are read by the audience you wish to reach.

carleton1 - huh? There is nothing at all in majorthomecho's "open letter" that in any way violates the Membership Agreement, is offensive or invites a flame war. I trust that your post was entirely tongue-in-cheek, because disagreement with the content posted on the edmunds.com site is never discouraged within the Town Hall.

Just in case you may have been serious, or in case others have read your post and take it seriously, I'd like to make a few comments about what you have said.

I assure you that there has never been an instance of a member of the Town Hall being expelled for being critical of articles posted on edmunds.com. And while I will not object to your characterization of a host's workload as "heavy" ;-), I do not believe that any host ever deletes any post without *taking* "the luxury of lengthy deliberation" before doing so, no matter what workload awaits. (The truth is that it is a lot more work to delete a post than it is to overlook it, because a lot more needs to be done than just hit the delete button.)

The staff that posts articles within the main portion of edmunds.com and the hosts who facilitate and monitor the discusssions within the Town Hall in reality are entirely separate entities. The editors of edmunds.com do their thing, and the hosts in the Town Hall have an entirely different mission. Frankly, I have no idea whether the editors are "biased" about any vehicle - my opinion of that issue would very likely be colored by my own private opinions about vehicles, just as your opinions are - at least that's what I think.

But the Town Hall has never and will never prevent anyone from expressing disagreement with the edmunds.com editors - just as edmunds.com does not prevent that, I'd like to point out.

Everyone is always free to email the edmunds.com editor at the address I provided above. And I think majorthomecho can confirm that very many of those letters are published in the monthly "Letters to the Editor" column.

I hope this clarifies some of your concerns.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Member Posts: 932
    I completely agree with you. Your paper would definitely receive an A+ from my English teacher. Very well written!
    Pat, didn't I state in a later post that I was going to be sending it to the editors? That is what I am going to be doing. I won't put you on the spot and ask you about your opinions on the opinions expressed in my letter, but do you think they were expressed clearly?

Cool, thanks for the compliment. That is one post that I spent a lot of time on. I was worried that the server at Edmunds was going to throw fits over the length or the time I was taking to write it. Even after I finally posted it, I went back and tweaked it. Before I send it to the editors, I will be tweaking it some more.

I typed it and posted it here because I wanted it to serve as an inspiration if you will for people if they wanted to write letters of comment/complaint to the editors.

Final word to Pat, if you want to cut down on your work load, just throw some Positive-Daewoo people and Negative-Daewoo people onto the same thread and eventually, you will have to close the thread down. ; ) Don't believe me, just ask KarenS.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Yes, I know you said that - I wanted to be sure you (and anyone else interested in expressing opinions) had the correct email address to voice your thoughts where you will be most likely to be heard.

I do think your thoughts were well expressed, and I encourage you and anyone else who has opinions of anything the editors at edmunds.com post to feel free to write to them. And/or post your thoughts here; we'd all like to see and respond to them. Town Hall is here for the free exchange of thoughts, ideas, and opinions about vehicles. The only thing we ask is that our members honor the Membership Agreement (linked on the left sidebar). And there is not one thing in the Membership Agreement that asks for - or requires! - agreement with the opinions of the Edmunds editors.

So go for it! You can make a difference if you are willing to take some time to express your thoughts. Again, the address is editor@edmunds.com.

And if any of you have a letter published in the Letters to the Editor section, let us know here in case I miss it - I will be glad to provide a link.

Oh yeah, major, about your Daewoo suggestion - I think ... uh, never mind. :-)

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    I haven't seen the new Corolla yet, but I would be surprised if the seating position rivaled the ECHO. We've only got a couple of months to see for ourselves.
  • carleton1carleton1 Member Posts: 560
    pat(Host): Thanks for the clarification, excellent advice and suggestions.
    cliffy: You have been an excellent, reliable source of good information.
  • ml91ml91 Member Posts: 26
    After being the proud owner of a 2001 Echo for two weeks now, I decided to go back and read Edmunds' review of the vehicle (which is a very popular topic of discussion here). With the possible exception of the sticker price and the child seat anchors, I feel that Edmunds' many complaints about the Echo are either unwarranted or greatly exaggerated. The one thing that I really don't understand about the review - and I have also read this in other Echo reviews - is the complaint that power mirrors and power windows are not standard equipment. IT'S AN ECONOMY CAR!!! If you want power windows, leather seats, remote control door locks, wipers on the headlights and all sorts of similar overpriced crap than spend $35,000 on a Lexus. Am I the only person here who is old enough to remember when most cars had crank-up windows? Turn the crank; it won't kill you! I also don't understand statements about "skittish suspension" and "scary handling". I drove my Echo more than 100 miles last weekend at speeds of 65-70 miles per hour, and the car handled great. Granted, the Echo does not handle like a high performance car; but does anyone really expect it to? I do agree somewhat with Edmunds that the MSRP does seem a bit high; however, I was able to purchase my car for $950 less than the sticker price after more than a little negotiating with the salesman. I would imagine that most Echo buyers could get similar deals. I can't comment on the child seat situation, since I don't have children. Anyway, that's my opinion. Happy Echoing!
  • mpgmanmpgman Member Posts: 723
    I've looked at over 100 Echos. Never saw one with power windows or ABS or side air bags. They may be theoretically possible to get, but where are they? If Toyota can't equip at least one in ten or one in twenty with these options, they shouldn't claim you can get it.
  • sluglineslugline Member Posts: 391
    Sure, I remember when crankups were the norm. Airbags were once an item exclusively for luxury cars, too. Now very few would even think about buying an economy car without airbags. Gradually, features that were only found at the high end are making their way down to the rest of us, and I believe that's a good thing. . . . Hey, what the heck is variable valve timing doing in an economy car? Just kidding. :) I don't think people should have to go the Lexus dealer to get power windows on their car -- just my opinion too.
    MPG, I disagree. If an item is available, even with having to factory order the car, then you can say the option is available.

It is not like a Kia Rio where side impact air bags are not available even on a special order car.
    If features that were found in luxury cars will eventually make it down to us driving economy cars, when will I get a chauffeur? ; )
  • pulgopulgo Member Posts: 400
    Does anyone know what Synthetic transmission fluids (brand names) are compatible with Toyota T-IV fluids? I'd like to use something better thatn the Toyota transmission fluid in my Toyota Echo tranny.
    Suggestions anyone??
  • techncattechncat Member Posts: 6
    I had the same problem with the mirror interfering with the sun visor. There is an intermediate link in the mirror attachment on the back side; if you grab the mirror in both hands you can gently *but firmly* (with a little wiggling) move the entire mirror left or right and inch or so, enough to clear both sun visors. You can also raise and lower the mirror in the same fashion to optimize your field of view out the back window.
    My roommate, who is relegated to the passenger seat since I am having too much fun in the driver's seat, has had no problem with her visor. I have watched her pull it down and then pull it out of the clip and swing it around the rearview mirror. I have also seen where she pulls it out of the clip first and then pull it down and around.

Sorry I could not be of help.
  • elominelomin Member Posts: 4
    I got my 2000 echo in February of 2000 and the price was before anything, but I think there was an extra charge because they had to get it from another dealer. Last time I went there, I found out the salesman no longer works there. By the way, I just saw a commercial where they advertised $300 over invoice on echos.
    for great info.
  • itsuiitsui Member Posts: 15
    What is the pricing for the 2001 model ? Does the dealer gives any incentives for the 2001 ?What I looking for is 4 door,auto with air. What is the best price I can get ? Can anyone help !!!
    Thanks for any input
    I am unaware of any discounts dealers are giving for buying the Echo at least in terms of discounts they pass on from Toyota.

I am saying this based on the national advertisements and the local advertisements I have seen.

The best price I might be able to get might be different than the best price you can get due to differences in where we live.

If you want people to help, you need to be a little more specific as to where you live. I don't think you have to be so specific as to give the city you live in, but perhaps the state would help.
    Programs depend on the region. Here in the Central Atlantic Region, we have 0% financing for the 2001 ECHO for 36 months. The down side to this is that most dealerships have not had a 2001 for 6 to 8 weeks. Availability is very bad for the 2001 right now. If you can find one, you should be able to get it cheap and pay nothing in interest.
  • itsuiitsui Member Posts: 15
    I live at San Diego, Ca. Does the dealer offer any incentives for the 01' model because the end of the year?
    I found out that my dealer's service department uses 10W30 when doing the oil changes and not 5W30.

I was wondering what others use in their cars. Also, wondering what oil came with the car when it was new.

I am a little concerned because the weather around here can get a little cold in the winter and I thought 5W30 does a better job of flowing in cold conditions and just as good a job of flowing in hot conditions.

Thanks for any responses.
    I don't think that zero percent is available on the Echo in this region. I have never seen it advertised anyway.
  • kneisl1kneisl1 Member Posts: 1,694
    The owners manual and service manual both call for 5W-30 as the prefered type to use over the 10w-30, although 10W-30 is listed as an oil that can be used. The reason given is that heavier oil may inhibit starting in colder temeratures. I had a lot of 10w-40 laying around when I bought the car last November so I used that with no ill effects through last winter. (albeit a NJ winter)If you think cold weather will be a problem, get thee to a 5W-30 oil change. Better yet, change it yourself and add three quarts of regular and one quart of synth and youll be really good to go for cold weather starting. Im shocked, shocked to hear that a Toyota service department does not follow the guidelines set out in the OM for correct weight of oil to be used. Then again, 5W-30 would leak/burn a lot faster in a worn engine, perhaps leading to blown engines by owners who neglect to check their oil.
    It isn't advertised in this region either, but it does exist. Again, there are so few left on dealer's lots that there just isn't any justification for promoting it. Call a local dealer and ask to speak to a sales manager. He (or she) will know.
    I thought I was going to have to take my Echo into the dealer. At one point when I started the car, the passenger seatbelt warning light came on and stayed on. The problem was that I had no passenger.

Here is why this is the laugh of the day. I did have several bags of groceries on the front seat and the weight of the bags tripped the sensor causing the warning light to come on.
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Member Posts: 932
    If that was your laugh of the day, I guess you haven't heard from iluv today. His comments are usually comical.
  • babyboomerbabyboomer Member Posts: 205
    So did you move the groceries out of the passenger seat or buckle them up with the seat belt?
    I just drove home with the groceries. Once home, I did figure out what had happened.
  • cmeijningcmeijning Member Posts: 16
    Ok, it's old news, but still interesting.
    In its May edition the English magazine BBC Top Gear published the results of the 2001 BBC Top Gear/JD Power survey.
    The 2001 survey looks at S- and T-plate cars. These cars are registered between August 1998 and August 1999.
    The survey looks at ownership cost (19%), dealer sevice (17%), vehicle appeal (30%) and vehicle quality (34%). In the survey are 182 different models.
    Number 1 is the Lexus LS 400, 2 is the Toyota Yaris and number 3 is the Lexus GS 300.
    At he bottom are the Alfa Romeo GTV/Spider (180). Number 181 is the Mercedes Benz V-class (The MPV version of het M.B. Vito) and last at 182 place is the Opel/Vauxhall sintra (The European version of the Chevrolet Venture).
    Top Gear writes about the Yaris: "All praise to the runner-up. This is a very impressive achievement for so small and cheap a car. Extra poke and a more reliable gearbox would make this fine car near-perfect."
  • mpearlmpearl Member Posts: 7
    All this 2001 Echo does is go where I point it and do so reliably. It now has 12k miles and all
    I've done is change the oil. I read this NG regularly but Inotice that no one has a problem beyond
    mere nitpicking. Whatever shall I do with all my time?
  • babyboomerbabyboomer Member Posts: 205
    A CD selling on tv (of Pink Floyd?)is entitled "Echoes" but I will not order since
    I already have an Echo.
  • kneisl1kneisl1 Member Posts: 1,694
    On a trip to the farm stand, my ECHO swallowed a 50 pound pumpkin, several eight foot high corn stalks (with the rear seatbacks down) a dozen butternut squash one of which was nearly three feet long, and a bushel basket of baking potatoes. Acceleration was noticeably down with all that in the car.
    I saw my first Echo ad indicating 0% interest was available. However, it was just for 36 months, you had to be a tier 1 customer (assuming it means top notch credit) and the maximum amount borrowed could only be $10,000.
    The Elantra was named one of Edmunds' Most Wanted Cars. Now, which is more important? That or what Consumer Reports said about the Elantra and the Echo's reliability.

The '01 Elantra received a below average "reliability verdict" and the Elantra model's predicted reliability was worse than average.

On the other hand, the '01 Echo received a better than average "reliability verdict" and the Echo model's predicted reliability is much better than average.
  • sluglineslugline Member Posts: 391
    After reading enough reviews on this site, one cannot help but notice that the editorial staff praises performance and handling first and foremost. The Most Wanted list really boils down to the vehicles they enjoyed driving the most. Since the ECHO obviously wasn't designed with Grand Prix intentions, it wouldn't even get a sniff here.

See, once you understand their motivations, everything they say is usually consistent, even if you can't really let them pick your next car for you (assuming that you don't have a checkered flag as priority number one as well). Also notice that all of their "Long Term" tests conclude after two years. I would hope that any car made today by any company would hold up for just 24 months.
    No, I have known for a long time that Edmunds does not seem to value quality and reliability as much as some other sources.

This place seems kind of slow since people can't talk about the problems of the Echo since those seem few and far between so I just thought I would throw out a topic for discussion.

To answer my own, implied question even if I believed in Edmunds reviews and Consumer Reports equally, the reliability results from Consumer Reports would be more important to me than a car winning an Edmunds Most Wanted designation.
  • dsgechodsgecho Member Posts: 89
    I know this has been posted before, but if someone could reccomend a wax or other type of treatment to minimize a 1.5 inch scratch that is probably just thru the clear-coat layer, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance!
    Don
    I've got a great scratch hiding method but you may not believe it until you try it. This works any any color except white. Take a black Sharpie pen and color over the scratch. Yes, I know your car may not be black, but trust me. Let it dry for a minute and then take any wax to the area. Rub only hard enough to get the black ink off the surface. Wipe all remaining wax and poof... your scratch is gone.

The only down side to this is that after a few washings of rain storms, the scratch will reappear. The "fix" is so easy that it can be done in 2 minutes so just do it again whenever it shows up.
  • dsgechodsgecho Member Posts: 89