Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Echo

Comments

• harlekharlek Member Posts: 8
    I know thet "grnechory" installed a tach in his echo. I would like to do the same. I have purchased one and could use some hints in installing it (wiring). I am a little confused when I get under the hood when it involves electrical components. Can anyone help? It mounts perfectly right on top of the steering column, so I am anxious to get it installed.
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    I've been on vacation for the last few days and didn't have a chance to respond to your post asking about my knowledge of what a slugline is. I live in Manassas and work in Springfield. I know exactly what a slugline is. I think it is one of the cooler concepts in commuting. It is the epitome of the American will.
  • goolappergoolapper Member Posts: 27
    The Toy flier on ECHO mentions the option packages & online buying sites like autobytel et all
    always show'em 'n price'm....but haven't seen any new ECHO's on any of the SoFlo ToyLots
    that I've been too (including one that claims to be the worlds largest Toy Dlr) that had the
    packages. On they got options but not bundled as per the packages...Guess they can charge
    more that way....Was wondering if other lookers/buyers noticed this phenomena of busted-out
    optioning or if its just a SoFlo sales scam....BTW, have also noticed a real dearth of new ECHO inventory even at the huge ToyLots we have down here....Also all the sales people I've
    talked to all tryed to steer me into a Corolla which I ain't the slightest bit interested in....There
    are always incentives on Cor's, Cam's, Hilanders, etc but never ECHO...its almost like they
    aren't interested in selling ECHO's....Just me???? At any rate, still haven't bought....

ps - on the bright side for current owners, the miniscule "used" inventory i've observed have
    been priced really really high relative to original new price & seem to sell inna cupla daze....
  • babyboomerbabyboomer Member Posts: 205
    Newspaper ad this week shows that Toyota is offering $500 cash back on purchase of any new 2002 Echo. Consumer (their word for customer or purchaser) may use cash-back as part of down payment or receive a check from Southeast Toyota Distributors within 6-8 weeks. Retail delivery must be taken out of dealer stock by February 28, 2002. See your participating Toyota dealer or call 1-800-79-TOYOTA for details.

I think this is the first time for this offer for Echo buyers.
  • janbeejanbee Member Posts: 127
    When I purchased my ECHO (oct 2000) I recieved $750 cash back because I was a recent grad, luckily I didnt have to wait around for a check though, they just subtracted the grad rebate off the final price...do they have grad incentives in the states???
  • kneisl1kneisl1 Member Posts: 1,694
    slugline who wanted to change his airfilter: its pretty easy to change all you have to do is unclip about 4 to six clips and pull the housing up and off the element. BTW I got a Toyota af for 11.99 and it looks a little hitech and they say it lasts 30k miles.Id make sure whatever you replace it with is either was good or change it more frequently.
    Good news I located the block drain for the coolant! You need to have the car up on ramps. Crawl under there and center yourself under the oil pan (really an oil plate) Scooch a little further in and look up into the space there (around the axle shaft) and youll see it! It has a spigot thing with what looks like a 10mm or11mm nut to open the spigot. Tight fit but doable. They say change the coolant in the OM every two years, but suposedly the car comes with "long life" coolant. What is that supposed to mean? Since I drive mostly short distance Ill opt for a two year interval I think. Oil change for the manual trans looks easy enough, but you need to take off the plastic nose tupperware under the front part of the car to get at the fill plug. I cant wait to change it! The coolant too! 30k for the oil change interval and my 15 month old ECHO only has 8.6k miles. But come 24 months Im changing that coolant, baby!
  • mralanmralan Member Posts: 174
    How much did you pay for your Echo?
  • sluglineslugline Member Posts: 391
    I changed the filter earlier this morning, and I even stopped along the way for a few pics. I hope this will show that you don't have to be a mechanical genius to do it:
    1) Open the hood. Look between the engine block and the battery. The airbox is roughly the size of two small loaves of bread, stacked. It will have a big hose running out the front.
    2) Use a screwdriver or 10-mm wrench to loosen the screw clamp; disconnect the big hose from the airbox.
    3) See the small hose branching from the big hose, leading to the engine block? Loosen the spring clamp and disconnect the small hose.
    4) Pull and unfasten the two clips that hold the airbox together at the middle.
    5) Separate the top and bottom halves of the airbox, and you will be able to pluck the air filter right out:
    6) Install the new filter and replace everything back where you found it.

kneisl1: A casual glance suggests that the aftermarket filter may actually be better than the Toyota. As you can see below, the Purolator (left) has deeper pleats and more of them, creating more surface area for filtration:
    Only a lab test would be able to compare the actual efficiencies, of course.

I was looking over the 2000 maintenance schedule booklet from Toyota today to review what this car may need in the future. (This car is my Significant Other's, and wouldn't be getting any TLC if it wasn't for me!) As I was reading, I began to wonder if Toyota added the ECHO to its vehicle lineup as an afterthought in 2000. I found no direct references to the ECHO at all in the maintenance book, whereas other Toyota cars are cited for specific services.
    In fact, if you follow the printed schedule by the letter, then the ECHO will NEVER have its automatic transmission fluid nor its spark plugs changed, and that doesn't seem right to me. Was this omission fixed in 2001? I think it would have been better to include an ECHO-specific schedule into the owner's manual, so there is no confusion.
    The manual for my 2001 says change the AF and spark plugs every 30k mile. Also change the manual transmission oil then also. Coolant change every two years. Oil change every four months/5k miles. Id change the brake fluid and clutch fluid then also. (I mean once in two years) Valve clearance check every 60k miles. Rotate tires every 5k miles. (I take mine to Sears for a spin balance every year, its free after the first balance) Many many mucho bolt tightenings to check etc etc which Toyota charges $$$ for and are probably unnecessary.
    I further recommend checking the boots on the axle shafts every oil change after 30k miles. Ditto the brake pads/shoes at least once a year after 30k (maybe sooner if youre a hellion driver)
    Drive belts better be checked yearly after 30 k miles also, though they probably last 60k miles if not more IME>
  • jfelton1jfelton1 Member Posts: 2
    I have been lurking around trying to find the 'ultimate' driving vehicle to commute from the Eastern Shore of MD to DC. Well, as you can image from me posting, the Echo seems to have won. I have invoked the 'autobytel' sword to get a blue one, 300 over invoice, with every option, cost, 13,741 (w/o tax, tags, etc.). I think for that price, you can NOT beat bang for buck. We have a Honda Ody (20 mpg) and a heavily modified Mitsu Eclipse GSX (26 mpg, but add synthetics, tires, etc. and it costs a lot). So....

CReports observed mpg at 28/46 (manual). Is this accurate?

Seems that the posts have been good about crashes/crash test ratings. Accurate?

I am 6'5", seems to fit larger drivers well??

Want to change a few things. hks.com seems to have a few parts that I could squeak out more performance and more mpg (intake, exhaust, etc.). Accurate?

Insurance costs seem like they would be lower, considering its 10K base price tag.?! 55.89/mo from State Farm.

I usually drive ~74, any issues besides a little wobble b/c of its height?

I notice cruise control isn't there, anyone add one?

Any other comments that you may think may affect my decision would be great! Thanks for the b/w.

p.s. The other contenders that were eliminated (Golf TDI (diesel too expensive to justify 3K more, Civic (no ABS on lower models), Insight and Prius (why pay 20+ to get 5-10 mpg more??)

Jeff
    Are you going to have a chance to test drive the ECHO? Piloting one is a bit of a departure from everything else out there, so it would be nice to know that it's a good fit for you personally. The way the car is constructed promotes a very upright driving position, like an SUV or van. I'm only 5'8", so I can't truly comment on the tall-person accomodations. I do find the headroom much more than adequate, though.

This car's strengths are its small size and a motor that is both sufficiently powerful and a fuel miser. The small size, however, is also the biggest weakness. It will be more susceptible to crosswinds and it will be more vulnerable in a crash with larger vehicles. Stay alert and keep your hands on the wheel in gusty conditions, and you'll stay in your lane. The ECHO got nice government frontal crash-test scores, but those tests remove the weight factor out of the equation; this criticism applies across all subcompact cars, of course. I've also noticed that the short wheelbase amplifies all the little ups and downs in the road; probably not a big deal unless you were expecting a luxury-car ride.

With all that being said, it is almost the ideal commuter car. Cost of ownership expenses should be very low, and there's an abundance of storage spaces for the detritus of everyday life. If Toyota would get a clue about Americans liking our road trips and get cruise control on the options list, this would be my ideal commuter car.
    Hey, Jeff:

You said 13,741 with every option. Does that include automatic?
  • jfelton1jfelton1 Member Posts: 2
    sorry, no it does not. here it is:
    ABS
    SRS Restraint
    Spolier
    All Weather Guard Package
    Upgrade Package #1
    Upgrade Package #2
    Upgrade Package #3
  • nodakernodaker Member Posts: 20
    4-door automatic
    All weather guard package
    Upgrade package #1
    Upgrade package #2
    Spoiler
    Alloy wheels
    All weather floor mats

$14,530

I added: custom seat covers, Python auto-start/keyless entry
    Just curious. Did Echo owners select their car over the Corolla mainly for mpg? From what I can tell the price isn't too different. I've seen base Corolla's with auto & air for $13k (02 models). I'm not making a judgement, just want to know what made you decide on the Echo.

Being the Echo is assembled in Japan it may well turn out to be better than the Corolla, although I don't think it will keep as much resale value.
  • pulgopulgo Member Posts: 400
    mralan:

I chose my Echo over the Corolla for the following reasons: 1) Easy entry and egress. I'm 6'4", 250 pounds, and there was barely enough room for me in the Corolla. 2) Price: There was about $ 1500 in favor of the Echo and better rate for financing 3) MPG: My average for 1 year, 27K miles is 42 mpg, about 4 mpg's better than what you can expect with the Corolla. 4) Crisper steering. I suggest you drive both cars the same day and find out yourself which one you like better. 5) Styling: Most people I know dislike the Echo's styling. I am not the average person and I have always liked driving cars that are different and I've grown to like my car's styling ( a few of my previous cars: Volkswagen 412 Variant, Chevrolet Caprice, Saab 9000)
    Finally, the fact that the car is made in Japan had nothing to do with my decision. I believe the quality would be the same if made in the US or Canada. I expect to keep this car for at least 200K miles, therefore I don't care about resale value.
  • mcg1119mcg1119 Member Posts: 2
    Just wanted to let the person that was curious about Echo holding its resale value vs. the Corolla that so far, the Echo is doing much better than the Corolla in terms of resale value. I crashed my 2000 Echo (waiting to see it it's totalled) and was told by my insurance company that the resale value is $12,000. I only paid 12,225 back in 2000 for it (via the late, lamented CarOrder.com). Yes, the Corolla is similar in price, but I've noticed that 2000 Corollas are going for as little as $8,500 or so similarly equipped to my Echo. The situation may change as more Echos come into production, but so far, so good.

The drawback of the Echo is yes, it is very susceptible to wind. I've been blown around in the wake of big rigs. I've been pushed into other lanes in extremely windy mountain areas (probably 50 mph winds or more), with little control of the car. But the same would probably be true of any subcompact. It is amplified, though, by the high position of the Echo. The Echo also feels a bit "tippy" when you go around a turn. But it is a cute and quick car. And much more legroom than the Corolla -- I'm a 5'8" female, and the Corolla was too small for me. It seemed even more cramped for anyone riding in back. No problem for me or back seat passengers in the Echo.

Also, the crash I got into was a head-on, and while it wasn't high speed, I was pleasantly surprised that my little Echo absorbed the impact in front better than I thought. I don't know if it would do well against an SUV, but it kept me safe while being hit by a mid-'70s American sedan.
  • ml91ml91 Member Posts: 26
    The Echo is much more comfortable for tall people than the 1999-2002 Corolla (all 4 years are basically the same). However, the new 2003 Corolla has a larger interior than the previous model.
  • echo01echo01 Member Posts: 19
    Since I am over 6'5" and drive an Echo, I can tell you that it works for me - I have driven over 5 hours continuously with no comfort problems.

You might want to see, though, if you can find a shop that will move the driver's seat back for you if you think legroom might be a problem. Shops that specialize in modifications like custom seats, sunroofs and trim, or else shops that modify cars for handicapped people, might be willing to do this. That way, you'd have the option of getting a few more inches of legroom if you decided you needed it.

Make sure you take an Echo for a good long test drive before you buy - at least an hour - and make sure you're comfortable enough. And in particular, if you're going to buy one with a manual transmission, I'd test drive one of these, to make sure shifting and operating the clutch is comfortable for you.

(The thing about the Echo is that its seating position is different than other cars, so it's particularly important for any potential driver to make sure it's going to be comfortable.)

One last thing - your "wish list" has ABS brakes on it. According to many postings here, and also many dealers I've talked to, these are very hard to find on an Echo. I would have liked to get them, but I never saw an Echo for sale with them. My understanding is that these need to be special-ordered, and take at least several months to arrive.
  • wrgrahamwrgraham Member Posts: 112
    Thanks slugline and kneisl1,
    I am ready to change both the coolant and the air filter in my Echo. And I will use your info to help find my way. By the way, I change oil and filter every 6000 miles, so I have done about
    7 changes by now. And I dont bother to remove any of the plastic shielding stuff. All you have to deal with is the oil plug under the car, the cap on top of the engine for filling, and the oil filter itself which is rather difficult to get at. But I run the car up on 4x4 wood leftovers, and crawl under with one of these largish kinds of adjustable pliers. I can grab the filter and gingerly turn it enough to loosen it and then finish it off with my hands.
    Yesterday was my first day driving in heavy rain with the new Bridgestone Potenza 185/60 sized tires that I recently bought to replace the original ones. The originals were pretty worn by now. Anyway, the good news is that the new tires were great in the rain. I havent heard others complain, but I didnt like those original tires when the roads were under heavy rain. I often got slipping from the front end just under power and going straight. these are way better. I don't think the small increase in size could account for all the improvement, I just bet that the original tires were not of the same rain-quality as those sold on the market for replacement.
    You would not need to remove the front undercar plastic "nose" to change your engine oil, but youll make a mess if you drain the radiator without removing it. Also, on a manual trans, getting at the fill plug to both remove it and add the oil would be difficult with the plastic in place. It looks easy to get off, however.
    Now that you have 42 k on your car, its important to check the rubber boots on your drive axles each time you change the oil. If they go and you dont catch it for thousands of miles, youll need new axles $$$. Also time to get a feel for how much brake pads you have left. Fronts are easy, just remove a wheel and look at the calipers. Theres an inspection hole on the rear vrakes on the inside backing plare. Look behind the wheel at the part that doesnt turn. Good luck!
  • stragerstrager Member Posts: 308
    Now that the roomier 2003 Corolla is out, with higher seating as well as prices not too different than the Echo, does anyone know if the current Echo will be discontinued? I had read rumors several months ago that Toyota would bring the 2 door hatchback Vitz/Yaris this year to the US.
    As far as I know there will be a 2003 Echo, and it will be the same as the 2000-2002 models. I don't know what Toyota is planning for 2004 and beyond.
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Member Posts: 932
    Wouldn't ECHO be up for a refreshening for 2003, based on the Toyota 5 year cycle. But, if it is going to be pulled, why spend the money on the slight changes?
    Several Toyota employees have told me that Toyota cars have four year "cycles"; 2003 will be year four for the Echo.
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Member Posts: 932
    I have connections with employees of Toyota Motor Manufacturing North America. Toyota has used the 5 year cycle for AT LEAST the past 2 generations of Camry and Corolla. I can't think of a car that has followed the 4 year cycle in the last 10 years. Camry redesigned in 92, redesigned in 97 and then for 2002. Corolla redesigned for 93, then 98 and now 2003. At 4 years, a refreshing occurs. After 5 years a model change occurs.
  • rajmoranrajmoran Member Posts: 46
    I went to change the air filter in my ECHO and couldn't find on at my local SuperTrak. There's not even a listing for one in the 2001 AC-Delco parts reference book, nor in the Fram one. Jiffy Lube doesn't have them either. Have I entered a strange air filterless alternate reality, or what? Has anyone here purchased an aftermarket air filter for the ECHO? Help!
    I got a Purolator filter from Pep Boys. As a matter of fact, we hit this very topic a couple of weeks ago. Jump back to posts 2749, 2755, and 2757 for more.

I spotted the new Corolla on the road for the first time yesterday. My first reaction was "Hey, that's a nice looking car!" While there are few nameplates that have such a well-earned reputation, I've never thought of Corollas as lookers before. From the outside, it looks like this car has more room inside. So as far as the marketplace is concerned, the ECHO could be in trouble. The base Corolla packs enough standard equipment (and offers optional eqipment) to eaily steal back sales that may have went to loaded ECHOs. It might be nice if Toyota re-balanced the playing field by building more equipment into the ECHO without raising the price.
    Hey Slugline -- your summation of the 2003 Corolla was exactly my thoughts when I saw it at a local autoshow last week. WoW, what a nice looking vehicle, much more upscale than the Echo, and eeeek... the seating is also very comfortable and high. Had I waited 4 months, I would have bought the new Corolla afterall -- and this coming from someone who really loves her ECHO. Some things I would miss though would be the center mounted pod, and I still think there is more room in the back seat of the ECHO. I don't ever have a desire to *upscale* in the Toyota line and a good thing too -- IMHO, Camry's and above are still pretty blah looking. Is there a more non-descript car on the road than the Solara or Avalon?? Snoooooooze......
    ....the Toyota air filter for my ECHO cost $11.99 and as it lasts for 30,000 miles you might consider it over the purelator.
  • majorthomechomajorthomecho Member Posts: 1,331
    I had the opportunity to crawl all over a Corolla when the dealership, where I bought my Echo, got a couple in. The build quality is top notch. I did not feel that I was sitting as high or as upright in the Corolla as I do in my Echo. The Corolla is definitely on my roommate's list of cars to replace her Galant, but the Echo also remains on that list.
  • aeroterremeraeroterremer Member Posts: 79
    My opinion of the new corolla is that it resembles the honda civic. certainly better looking than the older corolla model, but not as striking as the echo. The gray interior looked rather blah to me, no contrast as in the echo's interior. Again, better looking than last year's, and yet, it doesn't do anything for me.
    I think I am just a different market segment than many others who post here. I don't want more "options" made standard on the Echo. I dont want a car with power windows or automated door locks. I don't want a heavier car like the new Corolla. To me the Echo is minimal in that it weighs little, uses little gas, yet has the wonderful roominess that we appreciate. And it is a lively and responsive car with Toyota dependability.
    ...Maybe there are not enough people with my attitudes to support a major car model, or maybe the Echo just turns off too many people on the looks alone to be more successful.
    I can certainly relate to your summation of why you chose the ECHO. I downgraded from a top of the line SUV (Blazer LT) and haven't looked back. The *only* things I found more appealing with the new Corolla was the wheelbase (I think it would ride better on the highway), and the upholstery -- looks a bit more substantial than the ECHO. As far as options -- I was thrilled to have NON-power seats in the ECHO. I hated, hated, hated them in my SUV because my husband and I are very different in size and to make the adjustments would take what seemed like an eternity. I love being able to just lift up the bar and zip into place. However, until the ECHO, I couldn't find a vehicle with seats high enough (kudu's to the ECHO again). And power windows -- bleeeech. Give me a crank window any day. Of course, I don't drive through toll booths so my tune may be different if that were the case. I live in North Dakota and cruise control is something that one can actually use because you only pass about 6 cars on the Interstate . However, if I lived in a place where traffic was heavy, I doubt I would miss cruise control. I "do" miss it, but can live without it. I am also happy to report that now that our weather is warmer I'm seeing much better gas mileage :-)
    How much did you pay for your basic Echo and what year is it? We are very disappointed with our local Toyota dealer. They quoted $13,005 for a 2002 basic Echo w/o a/c or pwr steering and a 4 month wait. We offered $12K, which we thought was very generous; he basically laughed at us.
  • mpearl1mpearl1 Member Posts: 1
    I paid #10,500 plus tax and license. I live in San Diego. This car is a 2001 Echo with air and power steering but nothing else.
  • mpgmanmpgman Member Posts: 723
    Anyone have an Echo with serious mileage on it like 50k or so? Curious to hear how they are holding up. Any word on any changes for 03?
  • echo01echo01 Member Posts: 19
    I'm another one who likes the fact that you can get an Echo without lots of added gadgets. Mine doesn't have power door locks or windows, and I didn't want these things. I plan on keeping my car a long time, and as far as I'm concerned, these kinds of features are just more things to eventually break. About the only option I wanted was air conditioning.

There is a market for "optionless" cars, but it's obviously not very big, or the car manufacturers would take advantage of it and offer more cars like this. And for more expensive models than the Echo, it can be hard to find a car that doesn't have all sorts of undesired options added. For example, a friend of mine wanted a Camry with manual transmission, no power windows and doors, etc, and had to wait several months to get it. I had a similar experience when I briefly looked at the Solara: they all come with power stuff, and in addition, the only 5-speed models I ever found had over $1000 of extraneous things like spoilers and power seats added on.

I also was happy to find a good selection of Echos with manual transmissions; I am so used to shifting gears that an automatic transmission is, yes, just another option I don't want.
    Going to the library today I was on a four lane divided highway when a black Dodge Durango pulled up to the side of the road, waiting to gain access to the highway. I was doing 40-45 in the right hand lane, and he stopped before he pulled in front of me. I took my eyes off him for a second and looked further down the road where a line of cars was backed up at a light. (which I learned to do at a motorcycle safety course: evaluate each "threat" and when you have determined its no danger to you, keep your eyes moving for other problems) Then he pulled out right in front of me and the windshield of my little ECHO was full of Durango. There was no time to do anything but swerve as hard as possible to the left and hope no one was next to me.There wasnt and somehow by the grace of God I missed him. I believe no other car I have EVER driven could have made that manuver, NO WAY! I remember all those comments about ECHOs with "skinny little tires" Brother, they may be skinny but that car held the road and reacted exactly as it had to to avoid that SUV. I thought it was OVER. Im certain the light weight of the car contributed to its agility. There is ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong with this car in terms of its handling ability, skinny tires or not. I am thankfull for such as well designed car!
    I've always believed that the driver himself is the most important piece of safety equipment. I'm sure your reactions contributed as much to the accident avoidance as the abilities of the car you were driving. For example, just think of what could have happened if you had one hand to your ear, lost in a cell phone conversation! (just like the driver of a pickup truck I saw yesterday, who was having trouble staying in his lane)

Concerning features/options: I do appreciate simplicity in cars, but not cost-cutting annoyances. Prime offenders on the ECHO in this regard are the side-view mirrors. Why are these not foldable? Parking lots are a fact of life, and so are people who brush by your car in the lot and knock the mirrors out of place. It happened again today and having to roll down the window and get the mirror back where I like it just seems like an unnecessary hassle, especially on the passenger side. It seems a bit incongruous to have an innovative convenience like the dual-level glovebox, yet not have mirror controls on the inside of the vehicle -- they don't necessarily need to be powered.
    Hope you thank your echo by giving her a nice wax job or maybe even premium gas?!
  • mpgmanmpgman Member Posts: 723
    But you wouldn't want a car without a speedometer, right? I find that Echo's lack of something as basic as an engine temperature gauge to be a real slap in the face. People with automatics can live without a tach, and many with manuals can too....but an idiot light for engine temperature?
  • kaz6kaz6 Member Posts: 331
    Having a temp. gauge is like having a weather forecast...you can see what it is but can't change it once it's there. I drive in the desert during the summertime and frequently go up steep mountain grades with the outside temp. around 110 degrees. I have never had the red light come on and this is while running the a/c AND flooring it.Yes it is strange at first not having a temp. gauge but I don't even miss it now.
    Lots of good comments (in my opinion) about Echo options. I would like a temp gauge too, but I think kaz6's comment is well taken. I didnt buy a basic Echo because some things were important to my wife and daughter, such as AC and the split rear seat. Also, as I recall, the
    intermittent windshield wiper capability was not standard on the 2000 model. And I did add a CD player for my teenage daughter, later, thanks to help from another person in this forum.
    ...My Echo has 44000 miles now, and no difficulties have arisen.
    I've read several post (under other models) claiming the Echo to be an exception automobile in terms of reliablity and gas mileage, but lacking in terms of excitement to drive.

Do you Echo owners agree? Is the Echo boring to drive?
  • kaz6kaz6 Member Posts: 331
    Have you ever driven one? I was going to get a Focus until I did. I've ridden motorcycles for a while and that got me into liking 'basic' autos. The light weight and the strong/smooth engine plus a 5-spd. make it very fun to drive fast. It corners much better than the car mag's would have you believe as well! It is the quietest small car I've driven for long distance/high-speed and friends are always impressed with the comfort at speed.
    The only problem I've been having is a whistle/squeal noise that comes on with partial throttle and seems to be louder when the ambient temp. is below 70. The dealer says it's normal but it didn't make that noise when new. I'll have it checked further at my 30k service.
  • peacejbmpeacejbm Member Posts: 9
    Hi! I purchased my 2002 ECHO on 12/12/01 and love it so far. The only annoyance has been that sometimes my driver side window freezes shut (I live in Michigan)! I have a short drive to work and have to roll my window down to swipe my parking permit and sometimes the window is frozen shut and is hard to open. Does this happen to anyone else? I do not have power windows.

My ECHO so far has only 700 miles on it. Should I get the oil changed at the 3 month mark even though it has so few miles?