Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Echo

Comments

• romigromig Member Posts: 11
    Not all Toyota Dealers sell the Scion because the Scion is a separate Franchise and not all dealers have this Franchise, What car will be sold to replace the Scion with these dealers? The ECHO or the Yaris?
  • kneisl1kneisl1 Member Posts: 1,694
    Yes the Diesel Hatchabck Yaris! Oh please please please please please!
  • barry42barry42 Member Posts: 64
    I read somewhere that this is the last year for the ECHO/Yaris -- Does anyone know what will replace it ??

Barry42
    The nimble handling of my ECHO has demonstrated itself yet again. I was being tailgated by an SUV on the way to work yesterday. I was on a four lane highway going about 45 in the right middle lane. This lady was so close I couldnt see her bumper in my rearview mirror. A car darted out into traffic from one of the gas stations along the road, right into the path of the car in front of me, which rear ended it. I didn have time to look side to side I just cranked that wheel left and then right as I went around the accident on what seemed like two wheels. I was lucky not to have rolled over. The SUV behind me plowed right into the two cars. She probably couldnt see the car pull out, and I didnt even touch my brakes so she didnt have any warning at all. Luckily no one was killed or even seriously injured. How many times have we heard about the ECHOs "skinny' tires and how poorly it handles? Im telling you that is a complete myth! I seriously doubt many other cars could have turned as quickly and as surely as my ECHO did.
  • jojomonkeyboyjojomonkeyboy Member Posts: 43
    I was on the tollway last week, getting ready to go through a toll when I noticed two cars catching up with me really quickly. I've got I-Pass so I can go through a special lane (speed limit through there is suppossed to be 30mph), but I went through at 50, and glanced back to see that the two cars had already caught up to me - but they didn't have I-Pass so they had to stop for the toll & throw change. One car was a white Talon, the other was a White Mitsubishi 3000GT. I had a feeling these guys were racing, so I was flooring my little Echo. The guys paid their tolls, floored their cars and passed me like I was standing still. I had my Echo floored when I went through the I-Pass lane. When they zoomed by me - I was doing about 70 in 5th gear. Their cars were tricked out with the neon lights underneath - custom purple tailights, the nean light around the license plate - all that crap. I figured if anyone was going to get a ticket it was going to be them so I just kept the pedal to the floor. I got going 105mph, but the other guys were going so fast I lost sight of them. After awhile I fear that they may have exited the tollway. I'd be my luck that they would get off the tollway - but I'd keep going at 105mph and drive right by a cop sitting radar.

I may have had the car doing 106 or 107mph, but that little engine was giving out a pretty high-pitched Weeeeeeeeeeeeee sound, and it was really loud. So anyway after a while I slowed down and started doing 60.
    When you get that engine up to its redline that sucker is really hummin'.
  • aeroterremeraeroterremer Member Posts: 79
    This is a link to an Echo hatchback commercial: http://www.ihaveanidea.org/spots/entries/00000069.htm

I'm sure the Canadian posters here have seen it, so this is for those of us in the USA who haven't.
  • janbeejanbee Member Posts: 127
    I think I may have blown my driver side front speaker, has anyone taken the door panel off themselves to replace the speaker? I feel that Im going to have to take it to best buy etc. and have them do it, but just wondered if it was a big job?
    My sister recently had the warning light come on in her 2002 Echo which, according to the manual, meant she was to take her car in to the dealer. When she went to the dealer, they did the diagnostic test and said the error was for the idle control valve. They appeared confused, changed her battery (which they said was low), and lo and behold, the warning light disappeared. That was 2 days ago. Today she drove her car to work, everything was fine, but after work when she stared Echo up again, the same warning light came on. Toyota won't be able to see her for 2 more weeks, according to them, it's safe to drive. Is anyone here familiar with this problem?
    Im assuming you mean the check engine light came on. Generally speaking, this light comes on when something is going wrong with things that affect the emissions the vehicle is putting out. It rarely has anything to do with something that will hurt the engine if you keep driving although it might stall or run rough (but usually not) Its possible there is something really wrong with the idle control valve and the techs just blew the call. But if you bring it back they should get it right sooner or later. Im thinking the car is safe to drive, but you want this fixed while its under warranty.
    kneisl1, my sister said you're right on! In essence, the tech told her the same thing that you posted above. She couldn't start her Echo this morning, so she called Toyota to see if she could bring her in today. Toyota said they're all booked up, couldn't promise anything, may take several days, so my sister said she may as well wait for her scheduled appt in 2 weeks. In the meantime, she won't drive Echo, maybe just try to start the engine occasionally in her stall. So the battery replacement did not solve the problem. Fortunately the service is still under warranty.
    You want to know what a crap car is? Take a look at all the gas-guzzling suvs on the road today. What purpose do they serve? Why not drive a van instead of an suv if you have a group of people to take somewhere? Why not drive a truck if you have something to haul? Only in America do you find so many suv-loving fools. I'm glad I'm not one of them. The Echo is still the best vehicle out there, there is no perfect vehicle anywhere in the world, but the Echo is very close. Just my honest, educated, experienced opinion.
    Here here.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    You know, sir, not everyone can afford to buy luxury cars like Q45s and Crossfires, or in their wildest dreams comprehend buying a Bentley as you have considered. The ECHO is one of the highest quality cars on the market today, regardless of price. It is cheap, which makes it affordable for people who want a high quality, economical car. Then there are people (like me for instance) who could afford to buy gas-guzzlers like the Crossfire or Q45 but wouldn't think of it because they believe it is not ethical to buy a bigger car than we need.
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Where in Boca Raton are you? Just south of you here in Coral Springs, but work in Boca.

The Sandman :-)
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Q45: EPA 17 city, 23 highway
    Crossfire: 17 city, 25 highway
    ECHO: EPA 35 city, 43 highway

If I were you, I'd give a big THANK YOU to all the ECHO owners who are saving gas so that there's more for luxury car owners.
    I have always pitched the ECHO to everyone who asks me about it and is considering a new car. I friend at work is pretty serious about getting one, but isnt finding any at the dealers. They are telling him they arent made anymore. But after directing this guy to the Toyota website, its clear Toyota at least brlieves theryre selling 204 ECHOs. Does anyone know of a dealer who has ECHOs for sale so I can direct my friend there?
  • vadpvadp Member Posts: 1,025
    Did you try carsdirect.com?
    Yes we did and we found the mother load of ECHOs in Baltimore MD.
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    It seems that you are a bit better off than the rest of us who drive Echos, Sentras, and similar economy cars. It doesn't make them any less worthy or "garbage" than the luxury cars that you drive. Your comments are really comming across as "stupid" actually. We all drive what we can afford, or more importantly, what we want to drive. I'm very glad for you that you can buy and drive luxury cars. If my income was greater, I might do that to.
    So, please refrain from your dumb comments in here. They are not necessary and are of no value to anyone. They only make you look ridiculous. And one last thing...why are you in this forum anyways?

Confused in South Florida.

The Sandman :-)
  • wrgrahamwrgraham Member Posts: 112
    My sister is ready to move on from her 92 Mazda 323 which has 180K miles now. So I want to help her find a used car, but she cannot afford more than about 5K. My 2000 Echo is now at 111K and is top shape in all respects. So I am thinking I can pass it on to her, for about 3500, and put in 5K of my own and we can buy a low mileage Echo for within that 8500 budget. Gotta be a standard, I dont want red my daughter doesnt want white, we gotta have 4 door, but otherwise we can take most any. I have watched the local papers for a month, no luck. So I go to Honolulu in a week and may try to get one there. Any thoughts or comments?? I just cannot picture feeling more safe about buying a low cost used car than what my sister will get with our Echo. Even though I hate to let it go. But I feel good in that I will be refreshing my life with Echo.
    Here on the East Coast used ECHOS have gone up in price. I saw a 2000 with auto and air last winter on a car lot for $8000 with just 7k miles on it. Now they want $10k for an ECHO with 30-50k miles on it. It looks like the price of gas is driving up the price, at least here.
    wrgraham, if you haven't done so yet, I would suggest you check out the Friday editions of the Honolulu Advertiser for certified used Echos from Servco Pacific. I have seen '02s advertised for around $8,500, but I suspect they'll have around 30K miles. Also, if you do want to check out the Echos at the dealership, be sure to go to Toyota City in Mapunapuna, near the airport. This is where you'll find the largest fleet of Echos on Oahu. Good luck!
    thanks for your suggestions on the used echo. I will be sure to follow them.
  • m4priusm4prius Member Posts: 31
    I have a 2001 Echo with 48,000 miles and it has developed engine ping during low to moderate acceleration (especially noticed on hills). I had the dealer perform a fuel injector cleaning to remove any carbon deposits which the Toyota dealership said could promote engine ping. It helped somewhat but I still have the ping...I upgraded fuel from 97 to 98 octane and I have less pinging noise. I've heard that a bad Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) valve typically cause ping..however the Toyota dealership said if this were bad I should get an engine light...Has anyone had a similar problem with engine ping or knock during low to moderate acceleration? What have you done to get rid of this besides selling the car.

Thanks Mike
    Its hard to imagine a faulty ERG valve could have anything to do with engine knock as the valve cools and recirculates engine exhaust into the engine and knocking results from some form of pre-ignition. I had knocking on my 1979 240D on startup when I bought it used. After a year I replaced the injectors and the knocking went away.
      Hey the transmission on my wifes Saturn has been analyzed and is bad. How much do you want for the ECHO?
    I had been looking for a low mileage used echo 4 door with 5 speed, but no luck after a month. I wanted to sell my older 2000 Echo with 113K miles to my sister. I called Toyota City on Oahu and they had only automatic trans models. So today I bought a 95 Corolla for her with only 19K miles for $6500. I could have bought a 2001 Protege with 48K miles for $7000, but I feel better about the Corolla. When I test drive these cars they feel so HEAVY compared to the Echo which is so responsive. I am happy enough to stick with my ECHO, it'll last a long time.
    I also was in the car market recently. There were no new ECHOs for sale here in NJ and the dealer would not trouble to bring one in. So we drove a Corolla and a Camry and bought the Camry as we got a nice deal. Its for my wife who has been stuck with the dog cars for about 10 years. It only gets about 24 mpg. Its like a 1974 Chevy Impala really. It big and comfortable and hopefully will last a long time. Now my ECHO is more precious to me than ever because you cant get a new one and who knows how the used ones were treated.
  • trengagtrengag Member Posts: 2
    I have just purchased a 2000 ECHO ! Only 32,000 km, runs great and I have no doubts that it will keep on doing so.
    I am new to this board, where I have spent the last couple of weeks reading about the Echo. I am leaving behind 7 years
    of driving a '92 Taurus ( 2 blown transmissions) and a '95 Taurus (only 1 blown transmission). I hope that the ECHO is my salvation.
    However, I am having one problem regarding a water leak. When I stop after driving for a while, there is water leaking from the rear engine
    compartment area on the right side, about 6 inches inside the front wheel. I have not been able to pinpoint exactly where it is coming from . I have collected the water in a pan, and it is only clear water approx. 2 ounces every time. I cannot think of where this water might be coming from, is it some kind of condensation, is this normal. And this happens without the A/C being on. Is there someone out there who can help me
  • trengagtrengag Member Posts: 2
    I did some trouble shooting, turns out that when in defrost mode A/C is used, problem solved.
    Just a reminder, my wife and I are in love with our ECHO.We have had it for only 4 days. We do not miss our '95 Taurus.
    We are sold !
    Good luck with your ECHO. You are discovering what many people before you already know!
    About 6 weeks ago or so I had written about my sister's Echo situation whereby she wouldn't start after work one day. The check engine light had come on, she took her down to Toyota, the computer indicated a problem with the idle control valve. Well, the part was ordered from Japan and installed a couple of weeks ago. I am happy to report that Echo is doing fine and they're both out and about as usual. I think a prior accident she was involved in was the cause of the valve malfunction because they also had to replace her fuel line and other minor adjustments. FYI her Echo showed no damage from the hit (front hit), whereas the Corolla involved showed major bumper damage (rear hit). My sister said the elderly lady driving the Corolla was amazed that the Echo came out unscathed. However, although there wasn't physical damage to the outside, she did suffer internal injuries on the inside IMO. And for those of you who have actually suffered injuries from an accident, you know that symptoms don't always show up right away. I believe the same thing happened with her Echo because the accident occurred about 6 mos ago. The good thing is Toyota was able to fix her problem (she's better than new now!) and we're proud Echo owners. :)
    Glad to hear all ended well all around. Bad things happen even to good cars.
    The NY Times (besides trying to boost Kerry all it can) is reporting that sales and profits for Honda Corp are DOWN this year. Interesting.
  • puyallupechopuyallupecho Member Posts: 2
    I'm the original owner of a 2000 with 80k miles and now have an oil leak. I have regularly done all the service and maintenance recommended so, I don't know if I'm the only one on the planet with this problem. The dealer says it will cost $1200 to fix..needless to say I'm not happy about this situation. I also have the differential in the transmission replaced.....thank goodness it was still under warranty by just six miles! I've also and the engine light come on and had to get a sensor replaced. Is there any other echo owners out there who is experiencing a rear engine oil leak? help! 80k miles doesn't seem like too many miles for an echo. I still love the car!
    How did you come to know you have an oil leak? How did you come to understnad that your transmission needed a new differential? If the differential was covered by warranty, why wasnt the oil leak, seeing as they are both drivetrain components? Was the oil leak repaired at the time the differential was replaced, which would be a good time to do it? None of this makes sense to me. Until I hear more Im assuming the dealer is having you on here.
      But to answer your question NO Ive never had an oil leak. How much oil is is leaking? You can buy a lot of oil for $1200. Also, using STP would cut down on the oil useage considerably.
  • snifflessniffles Member Posts: 34
    see Consumers Report's latest survey:

http://www.usatoday.com/money/2004-11-08-reliable-cars.htm
  • deanc2000deanc2000 Member Posts: 11
    Hello everyone,
         I'm very much interested in Echos. I love that the fuel efficiency is outstanding, and the looks I think are fine. I think the car would actually look great with bigger wheels.

But, I want to ask for some advice. I have an opportunity to buy a used 2001 Echo, with most of the options I'm looking for, and in the color I want. Here is the kicker. I live in Europe (in the US military), and the car is in the states. I have been told by someone a little wiser than me when it comes to cars, that one should test drive or have the car looked at by a mechanic before buying. Well, this car is a 2001, and it has the remainder of the 6 yr powertrain warranty still good. So, my friends, SHOULD I GO FOR THIS CAR?

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

Dean.
    My 2001 has been very reliable with no problems at all. But Im wondering when youll get a chance to drive it.
    My plan is to have it shipped to Germany. Shipping cost will probably be between $1000-1500. New developements: This is a certified used Toyota, which means that it goes through a 160pt check (theoretically). The salesman doesn't seem to be budging on his bottom price of $8400. So I'll have to add on at least 1500 to that for shipping, which would make it close to $10K. Do you think this is worth it?

Also, I'm eyeing a local used car a Toyota Corolla 2003, That has 42000 miles on it, no warranty (but one could actually be bought year by year here, I'm told). The price for this one is $11,500. It has alot more "bells and whistles", power windows, ABS, remote entry, etc.. and only really a couple miles worst as far as fuel economy.

Which one should I go for?

Dean.
    I dont see how it could make sense enconomically. Besides, arent there hatchback ECHOs already in Germany? That would be the test comparing the cost of what you could buy there compared to what you can buy here and ship there.
  • jojomonkeyboyjojomonkeyboy Member Posts: 43
    I've got a 2003 ECHO with 23,000 miles on it, with no problems so far.

I drive it pretty hard, and get it up to 105 mph for 5 to 10 minutes at a time at least 3 times a week.

ya I know I'm crazy... but anyway, I'm happy with my Toyota.

I could have purchased a Kia or a Hyundai for less, but I questioned the Kia & Hyundai quality - (Yes I know that some hardcore fans of Hyundai are going to drag out that J.D Powers IQS) That survey wasn't out when I purchased my ECHO and I don't think it would have altered my purchasing decision. To me, one good year for Hyundai with one or two models on the IQS doesn't stack up to Toyota's history of years atop various quality ratings - including J.D.Powers & Associates Initial Quality Survey.

I also had a very bad experience with Hyundai - it was 10 years ago with the Hyundai Excell, so I don't expect people to believe that it is relevant to what Hyundai and it's dealerships are doing now with their latest cars - but there was no way I was giving Hyundai a second chance.

I want to stay out of the shop. I don't care about a 10 year / 100,000 mile warranty necesarily, I just want my car to stay out of the shop. My biggest fear was that I would have to hassle with the Kia dealership to actually get my car fixed - or that I would be without it for days on end while I haggled with them to fix it under warranty. Plus I wasn't so sure that they would even still be in business in the US in 10 years.

Anyway, I still have a ways to go with my Toyota - so far I don't regret my decision. I'm hoping that Toyota's reputation for quality holds true for my ECHO.
    It would be a very easy solution to buy a German car in Germany wouldn't it? Here is the catch: If one wants to go back to the states in the foreseeable future with the car, the car must be US specs, not German specs. I'm told it takes thousands of $ to change from one to the other. This is why it is a challenge if one is American and wants to buy a US spec car. You can buy brand new (mostly VW, BMW, VOLVO, and MB), or check out a very limited used car market. This is the main reason I'm considering shipping a car from the US to Europe.

On a tangent, I've got my eye on a 2003 Matrix with 14K miles on it, and the owner is asking $14000. It's got leather, power everything, subwoofer in the back, and well maintained. I'm told the owner can go down to $13500. Good deal or no?

Dean.
    regarding reliability, I am also surprised by the problem with the oil leak and the differential replacement. I am now up to 118K miles on my 2000 Echo 5 speed. No problems.
    As far as the shipping to Europe, and test driving ahead of time, and Matrix and Corolla and such: I wonder if you have some good friends in the USA. And I wonder where you are seeing the particular used car opportunities. If it were me I would ask one of my (few) tech-savvy friends to check out used car opportunities for me. If the price and model were right, and the condition was verified by my friend, then OK. But I wouldnt go along with anything else. You also talk about the options on a Corolla compared to an Echo. Do you want lots of options? If you do, then I guess they are worth something to you, quantify it.
  • sluglineslugline Member Posts: 391
    "CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES HAVE THE POSSIBILITY THAT THE RECESS RETAINS A RUBBER SEAL RING, WHICH IS LOCATED AT THE END OF THE CYLINDER BODY, AND MAY BE CORRODED DUE TO AN IMPROPER WASHING PROCESS."

NHTSA Campaign 04V455000, Sept. 14, 2004

My girlfriend received this recall notification over the weekend. It looks like a 2000-specific recall that affects Celicas too. Just thought I'd post this as a heads-up to other owners.
    My 2000 Echo finally has a problem that needs repair. The alternator is making some noise, though still functionning fine. Apparently there are both 70 and 90 amp alternators available, and mine is a 70 but I am getting a 90 replacement. With shipping it is gonna cost about $300, so not cheap. But it is my first problem of any magnitude.
    How much more is the 90 amp over the 70? I would get the 70 if its much cheaper. $300 for an alternator is a lot of money! I wonder what good a 90 amp alternator is over a 70 amp? BTW did you remove the belt and wiggle the ac and waterpump pulleys too? Just to make sure the noise isnt from one of them.
    Post 4500! BING!
    The 70 amp is something like $240 and the 90 is forty dollars more. My mechanic recommended I get the 90 if we use the A/C a lot. My wife and daughter both do. He had a listening device that he applied to both the water pump and the alternator, and the sound was clearly the alternator.
    Hmmm I would like to know which cars have the 90 amp alternator and what options make it necessary. Im totally against things like bigger tires and wider wheels, or just making things bigger because it seems like a good idea. I drove a 1982 MB 300d Turbo the other day and Im thinking "This thing feels like Im driving a cement mixer, yet its the same body and chassis as my old 240D." Turned out the guy had wider wheels and tires on it. I recommended my friend not buy it.

BUT the mechanic may have a very good reason for recommending the bigger alternator. Its a good sign that he checked your water pump!