Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Echo

Comments

• rossm2rossm2 Member Posts: 96
    Sorry to here about your problem. Pretty good though for an almost 5 year-old car. I guess you'll just have to buy a Yaris - electric power steering with no hydraulics to leak. :shades: :)
  • kneisl1kneisl1 Member Posts: 1,694
    Well there really ISNT anything wrong with the ECHO!. I had wiped the oil off everything I could see yesterday and looked again today to see...no new oil. THEN I remembered when I refilled the engine with oil last weekend after changing it, the funnel slipped and some oil got all over the exhaust manifold (behind the engine). Thats what must have gotten all over the power steering pump. Yep my car is still cherry! ;)
  • reba05reba05 Member Posts: 36
    You must not drive many miles....
    Im only averaging so far 6000 miles per year. At that rate it will take 20 years to go 120,000. This might be my last car!
  • echoer2001echoer2001 Member Posts: 4
    I recently bought a 2001 echo, i love the car but i hate the tires, so tiny , i heard that i can change the 175/65R14 for 185/60R15 or 195/50R15, are there any other sizes that could fit? and what brand do you suggest for good snow handling? Thanks
    Yes, those other sizes will fit. For best snow driving, you want a narrow tires, so the standard size will be best. Wider tires will improve summer driving however. Your best bet is to put winter tires on the 14" rims and summer (not all season) tires on 15" rims. :)
    Oh!, i thought wider tires would be better for snow handling, are you sure that the stock 14" tires are good in snow? Thanks
    I took my driving test in a heavy snow storm many years ago and was also originally a physics major - yes, I'm sure! In order to have control in snow and ice, you need maximal pounds pressure per square inch. Wider tires give you larger contact patches (good on dry surfaces), but therefore fewer pounds per square inch. You will float across the surface of the snow rather than dig into it. BTW, it isn't the 14" dimension that is good, it is the 175 width that is good. :D
    I would think twice before going to bigger tires on the ECHO. One of the ECHOs charms is that the steering is so quick and light. You would lose that with bigger tires. If I recall correctly the ECHO with stock tires pulls some pretty good skidpad numbers.
    OK , Thanks
  • bottgersbottgers Member Posts: 2,030
    I've read through this topic and I've decided you Echo owners might be able to provide me with a bit more info about this car.

I also read through the reviews the Edmunds staffers posted only to realize they didn't do this car any justice. Having driven one myself, I got the impression the Echo is a true Toyota through and through with all the build quality of any of their vehicles. I feel the staffers were more hung up about the looks of the car and made the mistake of overlooking many of the car's qualities. It does sound like they do have a valid complaint about the way the wind catches the car from the side, other than that, it sounds like the vast majority of people who own this car would buy it again.

I'm interested in finding out from owners what kind of problems you've had (if any), your specific likes and dislikes, and what kind of fuel economy numbers you're getting. When you post your numbers, please indicate whether your car is equipped with a manual or auto tranny. Thanks.
    According to Consumer Reports the ECHO is one of the top five cars for reliability. The car is made in Japan which I think is an advantage considering my wifes Camry which is made here as I understand it. I thought I had a leaky PS pump the other day, but I had spilled oil on it when previously adding oil during an oil change. My 2001 will be five years old this November 12. It will have about 30,500 miles on it then with no problems at all. People who have trouble with their ECHOs generally have quite a few miles on them when they do.
    I use my ECHO (with manual transmission) to drive 6 miles or so to work everyday. Very seldom does it go over 45 mph or take the freeway. This summer its been getting 40-42 mpg in this role. I expect when winter comes the mileage will drop to 38-40 mpg. This summer when I drove to Atlantic City on the freeway I got over 50 mpg driving at a steady 60 mph.
    I like the ECHO mostly because its a Toyota and therefore needs few repairs. It gets great mileage. Its the easiest car there is to get in and and out of, with its high seat height. Theres a lot of room inside for a small car and lots of places to stuff things in the dashboard. The car is agile in city traffic and super easy to find and get into a parking spot. The engine has excellent power for so small a displacement (1.5 liters). The car is super easy to work on, oil changes, air filter, sparkplugs, coolant, transmission oil, brake fluid changes etc can easily be done at home. (Toyota has NEVER seen this car. The only thing I will let them do is put a new muffler on it when it needs it (free lifetime warranty parts and labor) change the belts and the rear brakes)
    Dislikes? The only one that comes to mind is driving in snow. The car has all the traction of a pickup truck, especially uphill and especially in deep snow. Its super twitchy on packed snow and feels like it going to swap ends any second. I borrow my sons 93 Nissan Altima whenever possible! I have the Bridgestone Potenzas on it PE 92. Im hoping for better results when I get new tires. (but that might be a while as the Potenzas are only half worn out) Im thinking the light weight of the car (2000 pounds) is responsible for the poor performance in snow.
    You are not the first person to notice the distain Edmunds has for this car. In no other review that I read of the ECHO did anyone dis it like Edmunds did. On the contrary they were very enthusiastic about it. Almost to a lister everyone here like this car very much.
    Toyota doesnt sell the ECHO in the US anymore. I read they only sold like 3000 of them here in 2004. Suposedly there was going to be a "replacement" in 2006 but that hasnt happened. Theres talk of another replacement next year. So you might go for a used ECHO (an excellent idea!) or wait till next year to see what turns up. I DONT recommend the xa at all but you might like it. Good luck and tell us what you decide! :)
    "I have the Bridgestone Potenzas on it PE 92." That is your snow problem in a nutshell. Check the review on TireRack. They got a 3.7 out of 10 for snow and poor for almost everything else. They are one of the worst tires for snow driving that money can buy. With anything else, the Echo is fairly decent in snow. Light weight is not necessarily a problem for snow driving. My 1969 Mini Cooper weighed 1485 lbs and was very good in snow, even with all-season (but good) tires.
    I hadnt seen that on Tire Rack about the Potenzas. I suspected as much but Im gratefull to have the information. I will probably get rid of them before the snow flies. It just isnt worth wrecking the car over them!
    I couldn't agree more. NEVER drive on less than good tires, get excellent ones if you can!! ;)
    I remember being told on this excellent forum that KUMHO tires HP 716 are good.They certainly get a good review on tire rack. Anyone able to second that? Or recommend another? Im leaning strongly at this point to the Kumhos.
  • bottgersbottgers Member Posts: 2,030
    .....decided to to go with a set of Kumho Touring A/S 795's on my Tercel. The tires I have now still have about half of their tread left (with about 50K miles), but they are absolutely horrible in the snow. The tires I currently have were $25 specials (no name brand). The 795's had the highest snow and ice traction ratings of the 30 tires in their class (listed on the Tire Rack's web site), and they rated near the top in all other catagories. I put about 3K a month on my Tercel and I need tires that can handle the snow. They are also very nicely priced (mine were only $33 a piece, also from the Tire Rack). I have read nothing but good things about Kumho tires in general and I will post my review of these tires after I've had a chance to put some miles on them.
  • babyboomerbabyboomer Member Posts: 205
    2001 Echo, 47,938 miles, "Check Engine" light came on.
    Dealer code P0171 System Too Lean: Replaced MAF Sensor Control Motor, 22204-ODO3O Meter Sub-Assy, INTA.
    Also did a Fuel Induction Service (Top Eng Clnr Kit) and 4 Cyl Tune-Up (4 spark plugs).
    Service done by dealer in Jacksonville, Florida.
    Labor $160.39 (Rate $78 per hour), Parts $178.14, Shop Supplies $20, Sales Tax $25.10, Total: $383.63.
    "Check Engine" light is now off.
    I could rebuild my VW's engine for $250 in parts and machine shop labor in 1973. That was a great feeling of empowerment! No it costs $400 to make a little light go out! And I wouldnt have a clue how to do it!
    Do you know what the top end clnr kit is? Do you understand what was wrong and how what they did fixed it?
    My son took the Echo to the dealer so I was not involved. To him, the urgency to have it repaired outweighed understanding any explanation of work done. I assumed I would understand the invoice but I was wrong.

Do you know what the top end clnr kit is? No.
    Do you understand what was wrong and how what they did fixed it? No.
    My daughters 92 Camry borderline failed the emmissions test at inspection time last June. In NJ you HAVE to take the car to a list of people qualified to work on Emissions problems. Which means the Toyota dealer. They charged like $150 to clean the throttle body and clean the injectors. It passed the emissions test, but all the readings again were borderline. Its quite likely you just could have run the test again and this time it passed. So I dont know if that really did anything. My wifes Saturn on the other hand passed for years with less than 1/3 the ammount listed for failure.
    My biggest complaint is the wind knocking me around on the freeway and the interval windshield wipers, other than that it has been a great choice for the money!
    I bought a used 2003 4 dr Automatic at 34,000 miles and have had it for about 8 months. I live in the city and drive the wonderful rush hour commute. I have been getting 36 mpg quite consistently. On most freeway trips I can get 41 mpg.
    If you are looking for a basic good quality car, go for it!
  • radar4radar4 Member Posts: 4
    It cost me approximately $11.00 to remedy the same/similar problem today. Tell ya' how to do it. Get a new air filter ($8.88) and fuel injector cleaner ($1.88 at Wal-Mart), although the fuel injector cleaner may not be necessary.

Install the new air cleaner (bounce me back if you need to know how). Atop the air cleaner housing is the MAF (mass airflow sensor). Disconnect it and clean with alcohol (gently clean the probe - two wires with what looks like mercury-type liquid at the tip). You can also remove and clean the other sensor adjacent to the MAF (closer to the windshield). Clean inside of tubes with Q-Tips and alcohol.

Reinstall, and your Echo will run like new. Good luck!

Radar 4
    Are these thing inside the air filter housing? :P
    I believe it's called the Vitz in Japan and the Yaris in Europe. Check the October issue of Motor Trend.
    Sensors are atop the air filter housing. The air filter, of course, is in the air filter housing.
    >its called the Vitz in Japan and the Yaris in Europe>

Yes but it not here yet. Given the failure of the ECHO to sell many vehicles one wonders if they will attempt another car like it. Or change in around into something America will buy. Edmunds is already doing its level best to kill it off by describing it as being economical but lacking in power. Does anyone know how many xa units Toyota sells every year?
    More than you could ever want to know about the ECHO:

www.pressroom.com.au/pressroom/sample/presskits/echokit/htm
  • cassandralcassandral Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    I just bought a 2000 Echo a few days ago. This is my first car, and the only car ive ever driven that had a CD player, and I can't figure out how to work it. Every time I put a CD in it just pops it right back out, even if I press the CD button. And I dont know if this is a problem with the CD player, or with me not being able to figure it out. I bought it used, so it came without a users manual so there are a lot of things I cant figure out, but mainly just the CD player and the dash lights. If somebody could please help me I would really aprreciate it-these are really the only things I need the manual for, so I do not want to spend the $30-$70 to order one.
    Thank You!
    Im having trouble walking so I cant get to my owners manual today. But Ill get it tomorrow and look up about the radio. But Im pretty sure 90 per cent of the manual on the radio is how to adjust things like balance, bass, treble etc. I believe you just put the CD into the radio and it just works. You might look in there with a flashlight into the slot and see if theres another CD in there. Did you try different CDs? (like five different ones? were they clean/undammaged?)
    As far as the dash lights theres a little round knob near the coin holder to the left of the steering wheel. It might be turned all the way off. Could you be a little more specific about what deash lights are out or not out? My service manual says if the dash lights dont work check the TAIL fuse in the fuse box. Fuse box is under the dash to the left off the stering wheel fuse #8.
    Heres a good site for DIY work on your ECHO:

www.msnusers.com/Sorensonbrian/mylittleecho.msnw
    My ECHO came with a CD Player (that I chose to replace with better quality one) and it worked just like a normal CD Player, put it in and it should work.
    Sounds like something is defective.
    With re: to the dash lights, are you meaning the dimmer switch? To the left of the steering wheel is the knob that adjusts the brightness of the dash lights. I just recently figued that one out.....
    Good luck!
    A coin holder! That's what that is! I would've never known...thanks!
  • tsnooktsnook Member Posts: 18
    I have a 2001 5 speed Echo with a CD player and I sometimes have the same problem with the CD player. Mine will play a CD, but sometimes when I turn on the car, or even changing tracks, the CD will eject and I have to put it in 2 or 3 times before it will keep it. This problem has been getting slightly worse as the months go by. I wonder if cassandral's problem is just an extreme of what's going on in my car. I have a cleaner kit that I'm going to try on the CD player when I get around to it. Hopefully that will help some.

By the way, has anybody experienced substantially worse MPG when traveling at high speeds on the freeway? When I go to school and back (12 each way), I usually get around 38 MPG. However, I went to go pick up my brother at the airport in Sacramento (150 miles each way) and when I got back I got gas and I only got 33 MPG. I was going about 80 MPH the whole time, but I didn't think going fast would make that big of a difference.
    Perhaps someone who knows electronics can comment on why CD players reject CDs and shed some light on this problem.
    Once in a while I go on a long trip and go 80 mph. I find my ECHO gets 40 mpg or better then. This summer I took a trip at 60 mph and got like 51 mpg. How are your tires pressures? Is the maintenancde up to date? (oil changes, air filter) Try making the trip at 65 mph and see if its any betteer.
  • cassandralcassandral Member Posts: 2
    Thank You for answering my post! I didn't expect so many people to write posts in just a few days Thanks.
    I did try with several CDs and it still didnt work so my mom called the dealer and we found out it actually was broken but I think I am going to try that CD cleaner kit type of thing also-sounds like it could work.
    And for the dash lights what I meant to say is that I don't know what any of them mean. The only other car Ive driven was my mom's 2000 Dodge Neon and it had different symbols. But Ive figured most of them out on my Echo. The red and blue sailboat-like ones I still dont know what they mean-but they go off after the car is turned on so I guess its not really a problem.
    The blue light comes on and stays on when you start the engine. It goes out in a few minutes when the engine warms up. I'll look in my owners manual what the other lights are and what they do. :D
  • echobabyechobaby Member Posts: 2
    For all the new members here, if you would like to see an image of an ECHO gif, check out the link below. The link which was previously posted about 3 years ago is no longer available. Hope you enjoy it!

http://www.rinku.zaq.ne.jp/piroppy/yakutatazu/pirotz/link.htm
    The new US Yaris was unveilied at the SEMA show in Las Vegas just last month. Personally saw it and it looks pretty good. I like the fact that there will be more standard features, that's definitely a plus!
    Not sure if I would replace the ECHO though, I may wait till it dies, however that will be a long wait I think :-)
    Here is a link to a Yaris blog:
    http://anamericaninyaris.blogspot.com/
  • ccocco Member Posts: 1
    I agree. You sound like you have a similar commute as I do. I just bought a 2003 automatic Echo. It is the most ergonomically comfortable car I've driven. I've owned 2 Nissan Sentras in the past and I usually got lower back aches sitting too long in them. I drive my Echo to the Bay Area from Sacramento about twice a month or so, and I don't get that lower stiff backache anymore at the end of my trip.

But I agree the one big downside of the Echo is it does get knocked around on windy days when on the freeway. But since I'm not on the freeway too often it isn't a real issue with me and I've always avoided driving in bad weather anyway. I live in California, weather isn't a real issue here anyway.
    Is this: It weighs hundreds of pounds more than the ECHO. Because it has the same engine, it will therefor be slower in acceleration and consume more gas. If they put the same final drive into it as the Xa and Xb have, it will be even worse than that mileage wise.
    Although the ECHO is no longer made, there really isnt any car that can replace it. They dont get the mileage, they dont have the ergos, and they dont have the price. For all intents and purposes the Yaris is the same thing, just a little heavier. A hatchback would be nice though!
    2001 Echo engine light came on again. Dealer found Code 300 for random misfire but could not dublicate so reset system. Invoice comment says the obvious: "Customer will return for further diag if complaint continues." Mileage is 51,413. No charge.
    These are the causes that the service manual lists for a PO300 error code:

open or short in engine wire
    connector connection
    vacuum hose connection
    ignition system
    injector
    fuel pressure
    EGR system
    manifold pressure sensor
    engine coolant sensor
    compression pressure
    valve clearance
    valve timing
    ECM

Did they even attampt to go over items in this list?
  • pulgopulgo Member Posts: 400
    Here are the specifications of the yaris 2006:

http://www.toyota.ca/cgi-bin/WebObjects/WWW.woa/8/wo/Home.Vehicles.Go.YarisHatchback-NtmJy- wAJyrNUOdduBABxPw/4.11?v124040e%2ehtml

I drove the car yesterday and it is much quieter than my 2001 Echo. It gets virtually the same mileage, it is roomier, smoother and it is a HATCHBACK. It is now classified a an ULEV vehicle. Much safer too.

In my view there is not much to dislike.

Kneisl, you talk about mileage? AFAIK you mainly use the car for city driving and put very low mileage on your car.

One or 2 MPG will not make or break your yearly gas budget.

I have been accumulating miles like crazy and now reached 126k miles. Average MPG: 41 I am not complaining.
    I am getting a new Yaris for Christmas!
    If you arent having any mechanical problems Id keep the ECHO for a while yet. You want to take advantage of the money you already spent for that Toyota quality.
    Yes its true 2 mpg wont break you. But what we need are cars that weigh 1700 pounds. They COULD have done that with the Yaris but chose not to. It would help immensely at least in the US if we could cut our fuel bill (balance of trade) in half. Its possible with cars like ECHO but we are too stupid to do it. I hate to see the cars going in the wrong direction.
    Unfortunately with all the safety equipment added to vehicles nowadays they tend to become heavier from model year to model year.

By the way, I will keep my 01 Echo for at least another 5 years. What I am trading in for a new 06 Yaris is my half ton Chevy pickup truck!

I'll bet I can keep my "old" Echo for at least another 150 k miles, without the need of any major repairs. In fact it would not surprise me at all to reach 300k or more before I sell the little critter.
    Cheaper to keep her! :)
    Even cheaper to ride a bike!

No, seriously, what is the fun in driving the same car forever? Once in a while, economics aside, it's rewarding to purchase a new car!
    True. If they bring that hatchback ECHO with the 1.3 liter diesel here, Im sold.
  • willis2willis2 Member Posts: 1
    I HAVE SAME PROBLEMS AFTER A WET DAY. PROBLEM STILL AROUND AFTER THREE DAYS. PARK LIGHTS STAY ON AFTER KEY HAS BEEN REMOVED. HAVE TO DISCONNECT BATTERY. DID YOU FIND WHAT CAUSED YOUR PROBLEM?.