Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Echo

Comments

• kneisl1kneisl1 Member Posts: 1,694
    Yes I agree for get theutch. (although its goo practice maintenance wise to bleed it once a year)

Use your scan gauge to check for an error code again. Check all the fuses if you didnt already. If you dont have an error code set its pretty hard to imagine what is wrong. I will think some more. At least it doesnt seem to happen often?
  • marcumarcu Member Posts: 11
    Today, the car stalled again in the same conditions. Hopefullly i had the scan gauge under the seat of my car so I left the stall engine lights on and checked for any code. Badfully, there were no codes retrieved or stored in the car computer. I haven't checked the fuses until now but i will surely look at them in the next day. I've spoke of this stall problem to a mechanic who told me that the 200$ scan gauge I've bought doesn't do the entire checking that can be made by an expert mechanic equipped with a 10,000$ machine. At first sight it seems logical. Would you recommend me to sought for an "expert checking" of the electrical circuits IF the fuses are all O.K.?
    Get RID of your mechanic. You have paid him $$$ of dollars and he has done NOTHING to help your cars problem. . He is lying when he says it takes tens of thousands of dollars of equipment to read the codes. Your code reader will read them all.
    As to your problem. You seem to indicate that the stalling incidents occur weeks apart. Is that so? Also you see with your scan gauge there are no error codes in the computer. The fact that there are no codes indicates that while there may be a problem, it isnt going to cause dammage to the car. An ignored set code on the computer potentially COULD dammage the car. But you dont have that. So I would continue to post your efforts here and we will help you. Continue to live with the problem and hopefully something will occur to us. My 240D knocked on startup for years but otherwise ran fine. One day I changed the fuel injectors and POOF the knocking went away!
  • rep5858rep5858 Member Posts: 45
    I have 2001 Echo. 200,000 miles on it. CEL came on . Autozone checked codes . They came up with PO446, PO441, and PO440. Any ideas????
    thanks
    Classic fuel cap not on properly or not sealing. If the fuel cap is good then its something in the evaporitive control system. Here is a list of things the bok says to check:

fuel cap incorrectly installed, fuel cap dammaged, vacuum hose dammaged loose, fuel tank cracked, charcoal cannister dammaged, open or short in vapor pressure circuit, vapor pressure sensor, fuel tank overfill check valve dammaged, ECM,

Basically you check the fuel cap and hope thats it. If not its something to do with the fuel evaporitive control system.

PO440 is the fuel cap. PO441 and 446 are the evap system.

Good News/Bad News: the GN is this is not something likely to affect the drivability of the engine or dammage the cat or something. (unless its the ECN of course...unlikely IMO) If you cant find and fix the problem you should be able to drive the car OK. Also, this is something the dealer should be able to fix as they see this a lot. The BN is the car probably wont pass an inspection as most states now check for error codes rather thsan test emissions.
    Good luck and tell us what you find out!
    Ok I will. Thanks for your input. I'm glad it's not something serious, considering the high mileage.
    Today my ECHO is EIGHT years old! Where does the time go huh? I celebrated by treating it to a car wash with the last coupon in my book. (10 washes for $50) 43,200 miles. At this rate in another 12 years it will have 106,000 miles on it!
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    My Echo's birthday just passed: 10-31-02. So it has turned 6. Everything is holding up very well, including the paint. I have never owned a car that was so inexpensive to operate. It still has never needed a repair.

And mine is already past 106,000. In fact, on Friday it turned over 108,200. :-)

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

That's cute! You make me want to have a whole little fleet of Echos! In the complex where I live, there are a total of 3 others, 1 green 4-door (I love that green, I wish I had searched around for a green one), 1 silver 4-door with the factory alloys (my how I envy those factory alloys!), and the only other stick shift, a black 2-door.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

While looking in the engine compartment, I noticed a hose leading the air cleaner box was disconnected. I put it back on and the CEL went off. I hope that's all it was.
    And this happened right after I got an oil change. Coincidence? I don't know. I guess it could of came off by accident. But I'm not taking my car to that shop anymore.
    Hmm really BAD garages add on repairs and play on your ignorance of your car to run up your bill. Once a Sears mechanic squirted oil on the shocks of my wifes one year old Camry and claimed they needed replacement RIGHT AWAY! When I told him the car was still under warranty his face fell a mile. So I doubt the shop caused the hose to come loose. Unlikely they would touch anything near there to change the oil. A loose hose is small potatoes...usually they go for a $2000 series of repairs!
    Just saying because if the garage has done right by you in the past it would be a shame to lose a good place to have your car fixed. Unless of course its Jiffy Lube or equal. Then I advise not going there!
    Yeah I like the green color too! An unusual color for ANY car and very striking. There was a green 2001 selling for $4995 with 85k on it about a week after I bought the silver one for my son. The guy was moving to Europe. I wish there was a local ECHO club. Id have them all changing their oil and checking their valve adjustments at 60k miles!
    I take the car there sometimes. They are not jiffy lube - i heard what could happen there! Could the hose worked itself loose? The guy at the auto shop doesn't seem dishonest. But you never know with this economy he may of did it to make some extra money. I'll take it to my usual mechanic in my area. I commute 110 miles RT daily and that shop was a block away. So i take in there for convenience.
    One of my hoses came loose when I changed the air filter once, although that didnt make the CEL come on. Perhaps you had that done recently? If it DID loosen by itself it might do so again. Good idea to keep an eye on it.
  • babyboomerbabyboomer Member Posts: 205
    Drove the 2001 ECHO from Nashville, TN to Indianapolis, IN. for Thanksgiving.
    The car did great! The only problem I had was trying to tolerate my son's music.
    Years ago I swapped the ECHO for his 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee because he commutes many miles each day. I told him I would swap back any time. He said it was the best deal he ever made so will keep the ECHO.

I agreed.
    What sort of music does he listen to? Mine was into Metalica and the like for a while. I always liked the Doors.
    Bob Dylan has a radio show of lesser known music by never famous singers. Although I like some of Dylan's work, four hours of it made a long drive.
    Hmmm.
    so my little Echo just crossed the 110,000-mile threshold, still going strong, still having NEVER needed a repair, and still consuming no oil between oil changes. :-)

And this despite my generally miserly ways when it comes to scheduled maintenance! It's due for plugs at 120K, and I think I will ask them to check the valve clearance at that time, a check which I don't think has ever been done before.

Between the long life tires I bought, which look like they will go at least 70K miles or more (they are at 50K miles already, with 6/32" of tread remaining), and the timing chain it has instead of a belt, this has been easily THE CHEAPEST car to run that I have ever owned. Not to mention being a perfect little car to commute in, with lots of interior space despite its smallness on the outside, and its superb fuel economy and easy driveability.

It turned six at the end of October this year, and despite my frequent urge to trade cars I am thinking I might still have this one when it turns ten. At the current rate, that will be at about 190K miles. :-)

I could also buy a new car....but what? The mileage estimates for the Yaris are 29/36. Quite a comedown from 34/41 for the ECHO. The good news is the ECHO is probably good for another eight years of reliable transportation. I would so like a one liter mini car though... (NEVER HAPPEN)
    Well, before the 2008 redo, Yaris's EPA ratings (with all the same mechanicals as today) were 34/40, so it wouldn't be much of a comedown from the Echo. Still, it would be less.

Speaking of minicars, funny observation: I happened to park right next to a Smart car today, and now I truly have an accurate perspective on its size - it's rear bumper only extended to the door post behind the Echo's front door, when the front bumpers were lined up! The Echo had a full passenger door and a trunk beyond the end of the Smart! Wow, THAT'S small.

My Echo is probably going to need a new battery this winter, maybe that will be my incentive to trade it in for something new.............just kidding! ;-)

Yeah I would like something like a Smart...if it got 50 mpg or better. But it doesnt, It even has a one liter engine. SMART what is your problem? Why are you so DUMB?
    I have a 2001 echo. High mileage. Commute 110 miles daily. Well, after the last 2 oil changes, the CEL went on. Three codes came up all emissions, the first time. Second oil change the light came on again, did not bother to check just disconnected ground to clear codes.
    Is there a connection between oil changes and CEL coming on? sounds odd to me???
    Sounds like a coincidence. What are the codes and Ill look them up and tell you what to check for. It might be something simple. (then again, it might not!)
    the codes are po446, po441, and po440.
    Get back to you tomorrow. Im at work now.
    Ha thanks to google Im back!

It could be as simple as your gas cap. Is it loose, or is the gasket bad? Check it out.

440 441 and 446 have to do with the gas fume evaporative control system. You could have a loose hose or possible a bad charcoal cannister. Youd want to check all the hoses going to and from the gas tank and charoal cannister for cracks, kinks, or just being loose. 446 is the cannister 440 is the tank. So its something around there. Also could be a loose hose on the air filter because hoses come from those things to it.

Good news: since its emissions related possibly it is still under warranty.

Good news: not likely to cause dammage if you run with it UNLESS your cannister is full of gas in which case that makes it a bomb. Easy to check that.

Good luck and let us know what you find out!
    Thanks for your help in advance! How long is the warranty on emissions? the car is a 2001 with 200,000 miles. I'll check that stuff today. ummm did u say bomb? How would I check that? Could be important lol. I replaced the gas cap.
    Find the charcoal cannaster and start pulling the hoses off. (one at a time so you can replace corrrectly!) If gas comes out...you got da bomb!
    Seriously it happens but its rare. I think you can forget about a warranty claim!
    LOL ok The cannister I believe is under the car near the gas tank? ok ill check the hoses ( again).
    You know anything about this new toyota Iq. Was a concept car to compete with the Smart. Is already in Europe/ Asia etc, but is suppose to be available in US with safety and emission mods. They say it gets over 55MPH.
    Oh yeah and this IQ car looks like the Smart, but a little longer and Toyota will intro it to US under the Scion badge. Will cost about 15K.
    I read the iQ will only be offered in the US with the 1.5 liter engine.
    I read 1.3L for the engine displacement, 40 mpg combined or better on the EPA test cycle.

I caught the end of a short report on the news today that even Toyota will report a loss this quarter.
    Yes it was in the NYT today. Loss for the YEAR it said.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    Just Toyota Motor Division will be a loss. The entire company is still going to make a profit. They also own a truck manufacturer and a few others.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    Sorry to hear. I know your 2001 will be perfect for someone, especially since you know how to really care for a car. I'd bet the only problem is that it is a stick, because it seems no one wants one when I've sold my cars. Good luck!
    Thanks! Yes I think youre right hard to find a buyer who wants a manual. I figure I can keep it for a year or so. And probably will!
    Did you write a post saying you were selling your beloved Echo, and then delete it? Why on Earth are you selling? I thought you would keep that car 50 years!

I now own THREE Echos! A silver 2001 with 44k miles and a five speed, another silver 2000 with 120k miles, automatic and the hideous body cladding, and a white 2004 with 53k miles, automatic and a factory detachable faceplate am/fm radio with a CD player but no cassette. The white Echo has a tan or brown interior as opposed to the grey interiors of the 2000 and 2001. When I bought the 2004 it actually had a mechanical problem! One of the front wheel bearings was bad and the dealer fixed it before I took delivery. It also has loverly TOYO tires which are nearly new!
    Now if I can just find a 2002, 2003, and a 2005 I will have one of every year they made them!
    thought of buying one of every year for my collection. There is just something very likeable about these cars. Now finding an '05 would be a real challenge - that was the year they didn't stock them at dealerships, and only like 4000 were sold as a result.

Noticing some differences between my 2001 and 2004. The 2004 seems to be sprung stiffer. It doesnt roll as much in corners. Also its longer or something. Definately looks bigger. The bodywork has a lot more do-dads on it like goofy rear taillights and then theres the Toyota ZIT in the middle front of the hood. Guess they were trying to make it edgier. The paint on the 2004 does not seem to be as high quality as on the 2001, although they are different colors (white 2004 silver 2001) In fact I am tempted to say the 2004 overall doesnt seem as well put together as the 2001. It does drive very well however.
    How many 2004s were sold? I know theres not a lot of 2005s around. Maybe theyll be worth more! :P
    2004 was the calendar year Echo went from dealer stock to order-only status, so more were sold but not a lot more. I think it was around 10K or 15K, but I would have to look it up to be sure. I did see the numbers a long time ago.

It's the '05 that is super rare. '04s are around, although if you like the revised body style of the second half of the model run, the '03s are much easier to find.

Anything they might have done to reduce body roll or stiffen up the suspension would be most welcome though.

was my odometer reading the day before yesterday, as my Echo wings its way into its second 100 grand. Kind of funny seeing all those ones there on the readout, and it made me wonder if I will still have the car when that reads 222,222.....

Will it even still be on the road when that display reads 333,333?

Start driving it 1000 miles and week and I bet it would....
    I have a 2004 ECHO with auto trans now. How many speed is this thing? 3? About what point does it shift into highest gear? It shifts so smoothly and quietly I cant tell.
    Nah, Echo used a 4-speed auto right from the start. That was the "scandal" - in 2000 the more expensive Corolla still had a 3-speed auto in the base trim, while the Echo had a 4-speed.

• sahara18sahara18 Member Posts: 2
    Hey lnr, I just had the same exact issues with my 2000 toyota echo. Since June or so, I've noticed my car radio will stop working while I'm driving, and no amount of fiddling will turn it back on again. Sure enough, my car is dead the next day, or shortly thereafter. This has happened on four separate occasions. After replacing the alternator and replacing the battery twice, I took it to the dealer. They said that the radio is actually draining the battery when it doesn't seem to be on. Guess I need a new radio. Any suggestions? How did your dilemma turn out? Anyone else experience this and can give me some advice on a new radio?
    I have a 2001 Echo with 203,000. It burns about a quart every oil change. I heard CD-2 is good to stop oil burning. I s this stuff ok to put in?
    thanks
    rick