Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedans

Comments

• Erik, Though I do not know the reality around 2001 discounts but just to let you know
    that I did get $ 5300 off the MSRP in 2000 August. I do not see any reason why this
    may not be repeated as E-Class,a great car in every respect, is a bit out of
    competition in terms of Pricing IMHO.

I am also in the market for a E320 4 Matic / M430 to replace my 1997 C230. Not sure
    which one I will go for. M 430, A lot of bang for the buck but E Class, just too good
    looking and refined inside and outside. Final price may tilt my decision.Good Luck
  • jean7of9jean7of9 Posts: 192
    Thanks for the info. I read this article before following your recommendation in a different forum. Impressive work, thanks for sharing it with us. After the failure of the Xenon bulbs, the factory headlights failed within two weeks then the parking lights. Apparently humidity (in my indoor ventilated/heated garage) was sipping to the projectors during the bulbs replacement and was damaging the bulbs. My dealer was good enough to replace all my bulbs and light assembly covers under warranty. During this procedure I learned the appropriate way for bulb replacement. I will revisit the Xenon issue during summer when humidity, rain, snow blizzards and ice are less damaging outdoor and indoor.
    Jean
  • I also had problems with seat noise on the drivers side. I brought it in and believe it or not, they actually fixed it. Bring it in. Take care.
  • bargamonbargamon Posts: 302
    I went to replace the 6 gallons in the tank since the Bilge decided to expell gas from the bottom of the boat....er car. When I started to gas up, the first rush of the gas going into the pipe dis cause some gas to drip out the bottom of the car. Upon inspection, you could see the fumes after the dripping started. I did not try to put anymore in this time. I will call service tomorrow.

Wood190: Try looking at the owners manual. I would recommend OEM for bulbs.

Perhaps others could discuss last summers discounting. It lasts till about october, the prices get better over time, problem best colors get sold first, and well equiped cars go last. Alot of times the equip drives up price higher than many want to go.

I got from airpress a new shifter, chrome base with a burl top, with a logo insert. About $125. It can be found in the "all model" catagorie. very sharp!
  • rowlandjrowlandj Posts: 254
    How easy is it to change out the shift knob for one of the replacement burl types?

Any information on this would be appreciated,

JR
  • turbotcturbotc Posts: 163
    I had a noisy driver's seat that whenever I turn or bear right it sounded as something is scraping against the seat. I brought it in to the dealer and the fixed the problem. Not sure what they did though.
  • When I finally got my car, I ordered a wood and leather steering wheel along with a wood and leather shift knob. My interior is java. The steering wheel they installed matched the wood and the inner steering wheel perfectly. However, the leather top of the shift knob was of a grayish tan, rather than the medium tan that appears in top of the dash, the steering wheel, and on top of each door.

The dealer told me that there is no E-class wood and leather shift knob for the E-class. So they gave me the equivalent S-class knob. Apparently, the S-class has this grayish-tan color contrast, which differs from that in the E-class.

I found this shift knob to be quite elegant, with a chrome bottom cap, dark walnut burl, topped by the grayish-tan leather. However, the mismatched color kept bothering me. So I went to another dealer (using COMAND to get me there). He showed me the catalog, indicating that they had the steering wheel, but no shift knob for the E-class. He even called the MB supplier to confirm this.

Finally, I found a straight wood shift knob on the gapa web site. This had an elegant bottom chrome cap, along with perfectly matched wood at a special price of $89.50. After I put in on, I knew I was now completely satisfied. It's an interesting look having an all wood center console.

The way to remove the old shift knob is to turn the chrome cap counter-clockwise. Then firmly pull the old shift knob straight up. The installation of the new shift knob is the reverse.

Jack
    Jack,

You mind me asking where you got the leather/wood steering where and what it cost for parts and labor? I am very interested in having that on my E320. Thanks.

Vinny
  • Vinny, the total (parts plus labor) was close to $1,000.

Jack
  • Oh, I got it from the dealer. I'm sure you could find a better price elsewhere. The key is to make sure that both the leather and the wood match up with the rest of the interior.

Jack
    Jack,

Thanks for your post. Wow, I guess I better stick to my stock steering wheel. just got hit pretty bad with a 2001 excise tax bill.

Vinny
  • Greetings from the great state of Texas. I have a '99 E Class, and will soon need to replace the tires. Only 22K miles on the OEM Michelins, so that's not the way I want to go. Pretty disappointing, but I only got 25K mi from the OEM tires on my wife's C Class. Would like suggestions and experiences from those of you that have replaced your tires. What did you go with, and how is the wear so far? It would be nice to get 30K mi on the next set.

Thanks in advance for your info.

Texbean (Accountant from Texas)
  • nabzynabzy Posts: 29
    some great pics for driving enthusiasts of the AMG factory and cars...

http://www.neighbourhoodinter.net/mbclk/images/amgfactory/

• bargamonbargamon Posts: 302
    Are the pictures from a trip you took??

Great photos!

E-55 4matic wagon......The perfect family machine! was the suspension and tire choices as hard as sedan?

Thanks for sharing them with us!
  • I am looking to purchase either a new E320 or a BMW 530. The dealers here in Houston pretty much want MSRP on the E320. Do any of you know of dealers here in the southwest who offer better pricing? I am also interested to find out if the previously mentioned $5K disount on the E320 starting in June is truth or fiction.

Thanks
  • Graham,
    Contact Robert at Mercedes of North Houston. I purchased an '01 E320 last August at a discount. Following is his mail address: "Swift, Robert"
    Good Luck.
  • bad10bad10 Posts: 11
    Mercedes Benz of San Diego has all E320"s clearly marked with a $3000. discount. Mercedes of Escondido said they are dealing as well. BAD10
  • I know Europe has the E430 4matic wagon but does anyone know if we will see this drivetrain configuration in the new series for the US market. Interested to know -- I wish the E55 4matic wagon was available here in the US (great pictures)!!!
  • sshowittsshowitt Posts: 137
    www.fosmo.com, a UK company has Philips Vision plus bulbs for $32.00 a pair deliviered
    SW Stereo in Bern NC has 6 disc Becker cd units, better than the MB Alpine, imho, 1-800-270-BEST
    If anyone is looking for a discounted MB 4 yr 50K premium warranty, e-mail me and I will pass the information on.
  • Has anyone found a mudflaps source for a 2000 E320 (besides the dealer)? Also, are they self-installable - what's involved?

Jeff
  • I recently started hearing a rattle in the right rear suspension area of my '01e320 when riding over bumps. It even sounds when I bounce the car while it is stationary. Can anyone shed some light on it? I saw discussions about this several posts back. I just do not recall where to check.

Thanks
  • vs4vs4 Posts: 70
    Personally I have not seen Wedgewood Blue. But by looking at this colour in the Broucher and also on MBUSA website, I really think that Wedgewood will look great on E430. The car will really standout in this especially chrome grill and headlamps and also all the curves in the car. But on other hand I am getting this feeling that probably after few months or even after a year or two I probably will stop liking this colour.

The other colour I am thinking is Silver and Ash(you will see lot of E's in this colour).

Could some of you help me on this. I will really appreciate your opinions.
  • 68726872 Posts: 3
    I have just ordered a e320 fourmatic wagon. does anyone know if you can take a European delivery of the E55 amg wagon I saw posted in these pages? or should I wait for the new body style. the dealer was concerned about ordering it fully loaded the way I did. he told me that if I back out of the deal for any reason they will only refund 1000 of my 2000 deposit. I appreciate any input. thankyou.
  • I am interested in the 4 year, 50k mile extended warranty information. My e-mail address is johnkc@erols.com.
  • Vinny, I got the wood and leather steering wheel and all the other overpriced accessories while I was still in a state of irrational exuberance. As overpriced as factory options are, the dealer-installed accessories are outrageous.

Jack
  • jean7of9jean7of9 Posts: 192
    nabeel: Thanks you for sharing them with us.
    Jean
  • drew_drew_ Posts: 3,382
    This week chat with Edmunds.com's managing editor, Karl Brauer. The chat is tonight at 5-6pm Pacific:
    http://www.edmunds.com/chat/brauerchat022701.html

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket and Accessories message boards
    "He brought you "Confessions Of a Car Salesman" to give you the inside story of his undercover work as a car salesman. For this chat, Chandler Phillips goes one-on-one with "The Cardinal", Dependable Dodge's own Marc Antonucci . Don't miss this battle of truths as these two give it to you straight."

If you haven't read Edmunds.com's confessions of a car salesman, I highly recommend you do so. I found it very entertaining, and yet enlightening as to what may go on in auto dealerships.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket and Accessories message boards
    Those of you living in or close to NY may be interested in Edmunds.com's NY editor contest.
  • ahmadmahmadm Posts: 15
    Folks, I just wanted to bring up an issue that I recently ran into regarding my 30 days old E320. Few days ago I ended up having a flat, which resulted into side-walls damage. The original tires on my E320 are Michelin MXV4 215/55/R16, 93 H. When I started looking around for the tire, I was told by almost every retailer in my area (MD) that the MXV4 are discontinued and have been replaced by MXV4-Plus. Hence, I will need to get both tires on the axle replaced with the Plus ones. I called Michelin and they also confirmed that MXV4 have been phased out, though still can be found at some retailers. Michelin was willing to help find one. Michelin also advised not to mix MXV4 with MXV4-Plus on the same vehicle. Anyways, the dealer came around and promised to take care of it by having one shipped from somewhere. This whole rigmarole frustrated me to the point that I called Mercedes Benz Customer Service directly and asked why was I sold a car with known obsolete equipment on it, and what if I run into the same problem again? Their flat response was that they did not have any control over the tire manufacturers and nothing can be done about it!! I have also come to know through some people in the MB sales business that Mercedes got a deal on these tires when Michelin decided to phase them out. Pretty cheap stuff on MB's part.

Bottom line: To all of you prospective buyers, watch out for MXV4, they are a pain to get! Get your dealer to give you MXV4-Plus as original equipment.

--Mohammad.
This discussion has been closed.