Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedans

Comments

• drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    The current 4-matic system is effective and troublefree. No need to worry too much about it :-) Just enjoy the car!

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket and Accessories message boards
  • dcman2dcman2 Member Posts: 24
    Hey phatwheels, thanks for your info. Would you mind sharing with us which dealership in DC did you go to for the deal on your 430. I am interested in a 320, will start looking into later this Spring.
  • phatwheelsphatwheels Member Posts: 7
    DCman2, I worked with Herb Gordon in Silver Spring, MD. American Service Center was willing to match the deal on the car, but would not work with me on the wheels. EuroMotor Cars wanted LIST!
    Benson in Annapolis never called back. Hope that helps, good luck with your search. The car is AWESOME!
  • jason64jason64 Member Posts: 50
    Just bought a bottle of Hide Care from a Jaguar dealer. It is prepared by Connolly Leather. Does anyone know if 1) this is the same product as the Hide Food that is highly appraised by this board here? 2) will this product stain MB leather seat? 3) should it be kept in a cool place or in the fridge? I know this subject has been discussed here before, please direct me to the post #'s. Thanks for all your input.
    I believe you're referring to the Connolly Hide Food product? Yes, it's perfectly okay to use on MB leather. Do keep it in a cool place (I'm not sure how it will fair in the fridge; it may be okay, but check the label first) though. Keep in mind that since it is partly made of animal by-products, which is actually why it works well, it has to be used within a year and a half or it can turn rancid (Eeewww....;-p)).

Hope this helps!

Drew
    Host
  • tomsky3tomsky3 Member Posts: 48
    I have used Connolly Hide Care, as well as other products. I'm still experimenting. I have found that you have to be sparing in the amount of Connolly Hide Care used because it tends to collect in the holes of the perforated leather.

Jack
  • mbdrivermbdriver Member Posts: 426
    Last year I heeded Drew's advice and tried Lexol Leather Cleaner and then Leather Conditioner on the Ash interior of my '00 E320. I just repeated the process over the weekend with superb results. Lexol is easy to use and actually smells good, too!
  • stevejjjjjstevejjjjj Member Posts: 31
    Where can I get these Lexol leather products? Thanks.

Steve
  • livetodrivelivetodrive Member Posts: 104
    This weekend we picked up our (wife gets driving rights) E-430 4 Matic, and in doing so joined the esteemed ranks of E-Class owners. The saleman informed me I looked like the stable type, so he inflated the tires to the "below 100 mph" air pressure. He did get a kick out of listening to Janis Joplin on the cd player.

Of course the first thing my wife did was forget the new car didn't have a toll transponder, and got on the PA Turnpike without getting a toll ticket. Can you imagine explaining to a police officer, who is thinking "They're all alike.. loads of money but still want to beat the tolls" that you forgot to transfer the tag over?

Anyway, the car is gorgeous. It came with Pirelli P7000's. Any comments on the tires?

Regarding the COMAND system, my kids had it figured out in 2 seconds flat. They set it give directions to "Home" while in the driveway, and as soon as we pulled into the street we got a checkered flag on the display and Marilyn (we just had to name her), the 2001 Space Odyssey soundalike voice, informed us we reached our destination.

So now I can spend weekends washing my car and waxing it with Zaino.
  • dzidzi Member Posts: 8
    I lived in Dallas area and in the market of E320 or E430. Anyone can provide me your recent purchase pricing info and which dealership has the best deal in this area. Thanks.
  • johnvalljohnvall Member Posts: 1
    My brand new E320, the front brakes are gone at 13,000 miles, I would like to know if any one
    else have confronted similar problems. This is my fourth Mercedes that I have owned and never had such problem. The dealer claim that it may happen. Any comments.

Johnvall
  • rpineaurpineau Member Posts: 1
    I don't know if anyone has experienced the same problems as I have but I have owned my I 420 for just over 4 years. I have has numerous electrical problems during the first two years that required almost every exterior light bulb to be changes more than once. I think the final fix was to replace a harness that was on recall. It took 6 months for the harness to arrive and I also had some interior bulbs in the dash and radio go out while I was waiting. I have always taken the car in for the 7500 service and in the last 2 1/2 years, I cannot remember a time that I did not have a problem that had to be corrected prior to my next service interval. Last November 2000, 4-5 weeks after my last service interval, the "Check Engine" light went on and my transmission went into a mode described as "Limp Home" where the transmission would not shift beyond second gear. With the help of MB service and the dealer in Greenwich, CT. they were able to fix my car by resetting the computer but could not find anything wrong. This cost me $300 for towing and service. I forgot to mention that I had spent $700 on my 82,500 miles service because I needed a PVC valve replaced as well as the service. About 700 miles short of 90,000 miles the alternator failed and I had to be towed again in February. This time with the 90k checkup and alternator it cost me $1300. Two weeks later, less than 500 miles after service, the "Check Engine" light came on and the car went into "Limp Home" again. I had the car towed to my dealer and now they tell me that I need a new transmission!!. I haven't even got to 90k yet. Also, the valve lifters were a little loud and that was scheduled to be checked out 3 days before this current problem. My real issue is that I have had the car serviced religiously since I purchased it. I have had cars that have had well over 100k miles, that cost much less than the 57k I paid for this car. I don't believe I should have to pay for the repair. I believe I purchased a lemon. The service manager has gotten the regional service manager of MB to pay for 75% of the transmission cost but the estimate is that I will still have a $2,400 bill. Has anyone else had a nightmare like this. I was planning to keep the car for 10 years because I love driving it. Now I don't know.

Ray
  • billp8billp8 Member Posts: 56
    ...I found mine at the local Pep Boys. The hide food does tend to collect in the perforations. My 2000 C is garaged, and I drive maybe 5000 miles a year. Nevertheless, the Lexol cleaner removed a surprising amount of grime (gray interior). And, the products do smell great! Happy motoring!
    I will visit my local Pep Boys and pick up some Lexol.
  • jason64jason64 Member Posts: 50
    I do use Lexol on my seats and it's been 3 months since the last time I applied them. I thought someone here (might be Drew?) uses Lexol regularly, and applies Hide Care in between. I notice Hide Care does have a distinctive smell, does the smell go away after a few days, or does it pretty much stay with the car? I live in the So Cal area where the air is dry and we get plenty of sunshine. I want to be able to protect my seats as much as possible.
    When I first got the car, the leather was extremely stiff and dry. I applied the Hide Care and the leather seemed unaffected. I guess it was so dry that it completely absorbed the Hide Care. After a week, I applied Turtle Wax Emerald cleaner and conditioner. It seemed to soften the leather somewhat. After two additional treatments a week apart, the leather finally became comfortably soft.

Last week, I used the Lexol cleaner as a spot cleaner and the Hide Care conditioner again. If, as Drew says, it becomes rancid in eighteen months, I better use it up.

Jack
    is on tonight at 6-7pm Pacific/9-10 pm Eastern. Hope to see you there!

Click on the link below to get to the chat:
    /direct/view/.eea6e59

Drew
    Host
    "It is not known what inspired Neil to want to begin racing cars, but what IS known is about his love of cars. Neil Chirico, Road Test Editor for Edmunds.com is ready to answer your questions about the many cars that he has test-driven. Neil also brings you a wealth of knowledge concerning the many questions that you will have about vehicle service, having been in the trenches as a service advisor at the dealership level for many years. Don't miss having your questions answered by one of Edmunds best.

When:
    Tues, March 13th (Tonight) at 5-6pm Pacific/9-10pm Eastern

Click on the link below to read more about/to enter the chat:
    http://www.edmunds.com/chat/chiricochat031301.html
    is on now! (6-7pm Pacific/9-10 pm Eastern). Hope to see you there!

/direct/view/.eea6e59
  • dolamitedolamite Member Posts: 8
    Before I rattle off my electrical questions, I too have used Lexol on my '98 E320 and the results were what I expected as I have used Lexol on leather golf bags, boots, etc. The next time I purchase a leather conditioner I will likely continue with Lexol but purchase the spray bottle for ease of use. The only Hide Food I have seen was priced at $15 and while $15 of change is easily found within most people's ashtray, I can not foresee myself using Hide Food as frequently as Lexol.

Now, to my electrical question. As I have stated recently I am in the second month of ownership of my '98 E320. Everything has been enjoyable with the exception of the cd changer I purchased off EBAY which I believe is actually suited for a 1999+ unit. The only model/serial numbers are: S/NO.AL 96NA W 04 55584. I was under the impression this would be "plug and play" with my Becker BE-1692 head unit, but it is not.

My investigation into the cd player has forced me to listen to cassette tapes. About a week ago I noticed that the speakers in the front passenger door have NO sound at all...even with fader/balance shifted towards these speakers. While I was in the trunk digging around for the cd changer cables, I noticed the BOSE amp and assumed one connector *might* be loose. I pulled out the back seat and removed the negative battery cable to prevent any shocking situations. After removing the amp I found out that the connector is a typical multi-wire piece. I re-installed the amp, trunk liner, reconnected the negative battery cable, and replaced the seat. After all of this effort I was not surprised to discover that the right front passanger speakers were still MIA. Any idea if this is covered under the standard warranty? From my understanding, only brakes, batteries, and tires are considered "normal wear and tear" items which are excluded. Regardless, what type of experience am I in for when taking my car to the dealership?

Next question....after replacing the negative battery cable, the automatic UP function on all windows is intermittant in its operation. In the morning the auto-up does nothing, but I can get the windows to roll-up if I partially depress the button. Now for the fun, auto-up works in the evening after driving the car for 30-60 minutes. Now, this problem I caused, but I figure every Mercedes dealership removes the negative terminal before performing electrical maintenance. If so, is there a process to remedy the situation? If not, I figure this will be another on my list to address.

Thanks for all insight..............
    Just take the car to dealer and if still under factory warranty they should fix all your problems. Good Luck.

Steve
  • soundmann2soundmann2 Member Posts: 1
    Have been listening in on this chat room for quite a while, and I am impressed with the information and the depth of knowledge that is offered on this site. I have owned two Mercedes including a 1972 250C,original owner and now an E430 99,white,parchment with Xenon, shade,DC,sunroof, purchased new. I sold the C in 1988 at 50% of its original price! I still have the E, which is a great car that is fun to drive. Am interested in the CLK 55, which appears to be an an awesome machine. Have not talked to dealers yet but would like to get some input here first. I have several questions:

1. What exactly do you get with the Designo Package? Is it worth the extra 6K?

2. I understand that there may be quite a wait for this car. Does Designo make the wait longer?

3. Is the CLK being re-designed in 2003 like the E?

I appreciate any thoughts on the matter.
  • taisontaison Member Posts: 71
    Soundmann2, if you want your questions answered about the CLK 55, I suggest you check out the CLK board over at http://www.mbworld.org/forum/w208/board/home.html

There are many CLK 55 owners there and all of them LOVE their CLK 55's.

• yahoo2yahoo2 Member Posts: 28
    Zaino vs Zymol

Getting ready to detail car and want to get input on these for the paint.

Also any suggestions for cleaning under hood?

Am also considering taking car to pro detailer. I live in Santa Monica, Ca. if any one can recommend one.

Thanks all for info
  • merckxmerckx Member Posts: 565
    When the E-class is redesigned,the CLK will not follow-that's because it is totally based on the old C-class with an E-class type 4 headlight front grafted on. Therefore I find it to be a somewhat disengious car.I'm sure it fools a fair amount of people. I imagine that of course being 30 years newer it will outmatch your old coupe(a car that is absolutely stunning). But the new one is based on a sedan built much more to a price. I would MUCH prefer a new E sedan. Only it will have the quality you have been used to owning. As far as the designo cars,if one is wealthy fine-otherwise they are an absurd waste of money. Rather than "wasting" thousands on designo,consider the CL500. Of course,much,much more money,but at least it strikes me as money well spent. That tapered C-pillar is brillant! It is a truly fabulous car.
  • rcroftrcroft Member Posts: 1
    My 2001 E320 has developed a problem recently when I try to fill the gas tank. The pump shuts off when it is about 3-4 gallons short of full. I can squeeze a little more in by clicking the pump a few times but I can't fill it up. I have tried three different stations and three different brands of gas with the same result. I have an appointment to take it to the dealer on Friday but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem and might know the cause of it. Thanks.
  • microrepairmicrorepair Member Posts: 508
    dolamite:

Is your E a Starmark car? I think that most everything except tires and brakes are covered and even it you don't have Starmark, you've had the car less than 60 days so the dealer should make good on all those little problems. Sounds like (or is it doesn't sound like) it was delivered to you without working front speakers. That is unacceptable for a 2-3 year old used E-class.The dealer deserves a small slap for that...
  • wnielwniel Member Posts: 97
    It sounds to me like your gas tank is full but your gas tank sending unit isn't working correctly. This is a common problem with the E class, C class and ML's. I have had the same problem with my 2000 E430 and my 1998 ML. These have all been corrected. Take it into your dealer and they will correct the problem. Unfortunately part of the fix of the E is to replace the entire dash instrument cluster, including the sending unit in the tank. Having had that done, I have picked up no rattles and I can't tell the difference from when I bought the car. I say this as many people are concerned about removing and replacing the instrument cluster.
    Good luck.
    Wally
  • texbeantexbean Member Posts: 38
    I live in Dallas are and bought both my '96 C280 and '99 E320 from Ewing Autohaus. My salesman both times was Al Moten, and I was extremely satisfied with the deal. Al has been at the dealership a number of years, and knows his stuff. No pressure at all. I think Autohaus was honest and didn't play any games with me. I found the best time to get a deal was the last few days of the month. The service dept has been real good, also.

Hope this helps.
  • vs4vs4 Member Posts: 70
    Has anybody seen Wedgewood Blue colour personally? What is there impression of Wedgewood colour? Would you prefer Wedgewood Blue over Brilliant Silver?

How would you relate this colour to other very obvious items in this colour?

I really appreciate for sharing your thoughts...

Thanks.
  • toddl1toddl1 Member Posts: 2
    Regarding rcroft and his fuel tank problem. I recently had a similar problem when I filled up my y2k E320, the gauge would register 3/4 full and would not move. I took the car into the dealer and discovered I had a faulty fuel level sensor. I would suggest that the dealer check that out, it to may need replacing. My service etch mentioned that they have had a lot of problems with this sensor lately. I hope this helps, let me know what you find out.
  • buckie1buckie1 Member Posts: 1
    Anyone have any feel for what to expect for engine longevity for the 300 or 320 w/ reg oil changes etc? I'm looking at 94/95 w/ about 100k miles. Is 250-300 reasonable?

I have a '83 240D w/ 250+ and still going... best car from a maintenance point of view ever! Can I get another MB as good?

Thanks
  • svinaiksvinaik Member Posts: 84
    Considering that discounts are available on the current E Class but I am sure that MY 2003 E Class will go for MRSP (At least for the first 2 years), What do you folks think will happen to the trade in values of the current E-Class when the MY 2003 E Class hits the road. Do you think that Trade in Values down the line will reflect the current discounts offered.
  • kkopskkops Member Posts: 14
    Livetodrive,

I have the same car, purchased about six weeks ago. It is a wonderful car. I believe the tires are Pirelli Supersport 7000 tires and they are an excellent tire. I believe they are rated HZ which corresponds to a ultra high performance tire and near Z rating (racing tires). You can read a review on them at tirerack.com. They handle real well from my experience so far.

Also, they are excellent on wet & dry surfaces, you are not likely to hydroplane on these tires even at fast speeds.

Enjoy the new wheels.
    Based upon my review of various dealers, I can tell you for sure that in Southern Florida as well as the Northeast (NY, NY, CT) area, that just about all dealers are offering a minimum of $2,000 off of MSRP for an E-class. Depending on what you order, the reduction can definitely be higher.

If the salesperson is not willing to deal, I would ask to speak to the sales manager and tell him you are ready to buy now but expect to pay what other dealers around the country are charging.
    Good luck.
  • jdsu1437jdsu1437 Member Posts: 3
    I just ordered an E320 (4mat) with most of options from a dealer in the Philly area (PA). The dealer only gave me $2000 discount and I will not have the car until mid-late April. What's a reasonable discount? Should I cancel the order and forget about the $500 deposit that I put in?

Allen
  • tendonstendons Member Posts: 43
    is the winter mode just mean it starts in second gear or are all the gears changed to reduce wheel spin.The car only has 200 miles on it and I find that it seems to want to get out of first gear, when it's in the summer position, as quickly as possible unless I push down quickly on the gas, while in the w mode it starts I guess in second and holds on to that gear for some time. I wondered if the differences are just a function of the breakin period or will first gear always be like that? Stewart
    No, in winter mode, the transmission starts off in 2nd gear. This is because 2nd gear has less torque than first, and hence the rear tires are less likely to break loose and spin, especially since you're already on a slippery surface.

WRT the summer "behaviour", the transmission is driver adaptive, and hence if you're not a lead foot, it will shift for economy. It has multiple shift points/maps to accomodate the different driving style. You'll find that if you consistently drive hard though, it will hold the gears longer before shifting.

Drew
    Host
    jdsu1437,

If you are happy with the car you ordered, I would not cancel the order. $2k off of MSRP is a good price for that vehicle. The point of your maximum negotiation is when you are ready to sign for the car and put down your deposit. This is the time where the dealer hopes you are relaxed and buys into whatever he/she has told you.

In order to demand certain price breaks you need to know the market. I spent six months researching my purchase before I walked into the showroom. I didn't want to feel like I was sold a vehicle but rather I was buying what I wanted.

Everyone has a different point of view. A year ago, most prices were inflexible with respect to these vehicles. It is only now when there is a buyers market by virtue of a larger supply of E Class models that some negotiations and price breaks can occur. It also doesn't hurt that a new design change is about to occur in a year and a half from now. Some dealers believe that they should get full MSRP for the vehicle and that is their policy. I know that is the case for almost every S class car sold. Other dealers especially larger dealers will offer some discount in order to move the cars quicker. Its up to you to know what range your dealer will operate in.
  • tkc9789tkc9789 Member Posts: 2
    Some of the messages posted here clearly indicate that dealers are selling the E-class at or below invoice. Can someone tell me if I may be able to find such deals for a E320 in the Dallsa Ft. Worth area?
    Thanks.
  • lhcleunglhcleung Member Posts: 24
    Hi every one; two days ago, I've delivery of my 2001 E320. When I ask about the first oil change, the sales representative maintained that it has be done no sooner than 15k km. I remember I have read something along this line in the past in this forum, but I can't remember what is the final verdict. My feeling is: it should be sooner than that because the engine is new. I would appreciate any information or advice from anyone. Thanks. BTW, it is a beautiful car: smooth, quiet, excellent handling and powerful; and of course, the design is outstanding - stylish and modern looking. Love it.

Louis
  • donald02donald02 Member Posts: 54
    Allen: Mercedes adds 7 percent to Invoice to get MSRP. In addition, the dealer gets 3 percent of MSRP for dealer holdback. This is all explained at the Edmunds website.

Last October I bought an E430 for $200 over invoice. That left the dealer with a profit of over $1600. At this time you should be able to get into the dealer holdback because there are more E class cars in inventory and the new 1993 E's will be out soon.

Donald02
  • donald02donald02 Member Posts: 54
    Allen: Suggest you get the phone numbers of all MB dealers within say 500 or 1000 miles and call them and talk to the sales manager. Tell him what you will pay (say 200 or 500 under invoice) and take the best deal. You're going to have more success if you take a car from inventory.

Good Luck!!

Donald02
  • macbestmacbest Member Posts: 55
    Donald: can you tell us where you got your E for 200 under? Which Dealer?

Does anyone have web or email addresses for the "internet" salesperson at dealers that they know are at, or under invoice? Looking specifically for California area (Bay area even better, but I know that LA usually has the biggest inventory).
    Does anyone know how to get access to the battery? I understand thst it's supposed to be under the rear seat. On previous cars, when I would have a dead battery of more than, say, three or four years old, I would use another car to pick up a new battery from the auto supply store. A battery of 850 or 1000 CCA would run no more than around $85. I would then install it myself.

In the future, would I be able to use any good battery or would it have to be a special MB battery? Would it require professional installation? Would roadside service do it? How much would they charge?

Oh, how do I get an American flag next to my name?

Jack
  • prevostxlvprevostxlv Member Posts: 20
    Just look the each corner of the lower seat. You will see a tab on each side, just pop each one and the lower part of the seat then can be removed. As for the other info - we have always replaced the batteries with what we feel is the best for our weather conditions (manufacturer doesn't matter). You can easily install it yourself, if you understand the neg/pos aspect and can do minor work on autos. Roadside is an unknown to me but I bet it would be big $$$. When we need roadside assistance on any of the Tractors or the Bus, it is full retail for the part and labor is rich and boy it hurts.... MB, I am sure would be no different.
  • yahoo2yahoo2 Member Posts: 28
    $100, $1000, $5000 below MSRP. Why doesn't everyone here just tell where, when, HOW MUCH (out the door), and the sales guy you dealt with. This info can actully help others that are going through the process. You/we go into minutia about trivial stuff when in fact the hardest part is actually getting a decent deal.

Me first. I got my new 1999 E320 throught the Costco referal service. We were refered to Downtown LA Motors (Los Angeles Ca). My Sales guy was Ralph Guerrero. No pressure, great guy. Out the door price was under...$49200. My options are leather seats, premium sound w/cd, sun roof. Can't remember option codes.

Good luck to all these cars are great. To those you who are thinking of waiting beacause of changes looming in a couple of years you gotta jump on the wagon. You know, when the car changes in a couple of years there will be more changes a couple of years after that. So get the check book and let's go buy some E's.

Have a good day.
  • calsunncalsunn Member Posts: 4
    Has anyone had experience with SRS problems? I recently had the SRS light stay on with a code 7 error message. I now find that a new wire harness is needed as there is a fault in the connector/harness for the right side air bag.
  • pt1224pt1224 Member Posts: 4
    The question is, what is the best price you are going to get? How much do you want to pay for a Mercedes Benz E Class. Would $200.00 or $500.00 make a difference. Your investment in the car is over $45000.00. once you spend that much money, $500.00 seems like a nickel.
    Make an appointment with me and come visit me, I will make sure you will get the best price any one has.
  • tj_610tj_610 Member Posts: 132
    Sorry, but $500 is $500 bucks. Would you pay $1000 for a $500 TV? Or $501 for a 20 oz. Coke? A better point may be to ask what your time is worth. Once you know what you want, is it worth hours of research, phone calls, haggling, etc., to save a few hundred bucks? Most people looking at these cars have a pretty decent hourly wage. Remember what your TIME is worth when looking for a really good price vs. "the best" deal!
This discussion has been closed.