Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedans

Comments

• juresjures Posts: 42
    i've had it on all my new cars since 1990, including my 2000 desert silver 4matic e320. it is a great product, when i wash the car, it always beads up and looks like it was just waxed, i do have the car waxed/detailed once a year. roger
  • raybearraybear Posts: 1,776
    In California you can back out of a deal for any reason, but the dealer may just be looking for a little more security. I'm uncomfortable with the advice to renegotiate the contract, although you could blame the dealer for it because he asked a larger than normal deposit after the fact.

There is the possibility the dealer has another customer at a higher price for the same car so renegotiating may just cause you to wait for the car even longer. While 3% over may be on the high side of what some folks in this forum have found remember this car was not sitting on the lot waiting for a buyer, you had to order it.

Are you willing to risk losing the car for a better deal? It's up to you.
  • valueguyvalueguy Posts: 208
    The M-B dealer rotated my tires and cleaned the windshield. The cleaning helped but there are still some embedded sand particles in the front windshield glass. They are most noticeable in bright sunlight and from the inside of the car.

I do not think that the front windshield needs to be replaced at this time. Anyone else have a similar problem?

As a side note, BMW is planning on releasing its new 6 series Bimmer in 2002. Rumors on the BMW boards report a new 2003 M5 with 490HP. The new 6 series looks fantastic.
  • wbreauxwbreaux Posts: 33
    I'm not sure if it was TST 5000, but I went to my carwash (detail) place and asked them for the best wax they had. They recommended instead that for $140 they could put on a teflon coating (I don't remember the brand name) that was guaranteed for a year. I did it and it looks great. I have a '00 Desert Silver 320.
  • dl7265dl7265 Posts: 1,381
    AACCKKK , A 944 BMW ? I DON'T THINK SO.....

I used the starmark national search to get a better idea of pricing and cars available.

1st question it seems W denotes the AWD system ? all most all of the cars had it, is there any problems with this system ? just wondered since about 90% of the trade ins were AWD.

2nd located a 98 turbo diesel with high miles, I understand the starmark warranty is til a 100k total miles regardless of year., are these motors designed to go high milage or should I stay away and continue to search more ??

3rd re the 97 inline 6 vs 98 v6 what are the atvantages , or disatvantages to either ?

lengthy questions i know but don't wanna make a mistake on a vehicle with this kind of $$$

regards, DL
  • valueguyvalueguy Posts: 208
    Well, I like the 6 series bimmer. My '00E430 Sport is a nice car. I even appreciate the multicontour seats. But, sometimes I yearn for more power and better handling combined with a truly sporty auto transmission.

Perhaps, in 1-2 years M-B will have this tranny in the 450HP 2004 E-55?

http://www.BMW.com/bmwe/products/special/smg/main.html

You would not want to be the first buyer of this tranny unless you enjoy spending a lot of time at the service department.

• drew_drew_ Posts: 3,382
    Actually, MB's version of the clutchless 6-speed (called "Sequentronic") has been available in Europe since March for the new C230K coupe and the C-class ;-). From what I've heard, it's a hoot! Too bad that we won't be getting it here because I'd love to try it out too :-(.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • vs4vs4 Posts: 70
    Thanks to eveyone who replied to my posts. I really appreciate all the help.

I talked to the SalesManager today and told him what the salesman told me on Friday. He denied that he even asked the salesman to ask me for more money but he did say that on this type of unique(almost fully loaded E430) special order car there norm is to ask for more deposit(but not after the deal is made) in the beginning.

I told him that even if he himself(SalesManager) would have asked me for money now, I would not have given them a single penny more. The reason I was ticked because initially they asked for only $1000 and I gave them what they asked for so why ask for more money in the middle.

SalesManager apologized that SalesMan asked me for more money.

The way I read the SalesManager is that I think SalesManager was lying that he did not ask the SalesMan to ask for more money. I think what made SalesManager change his mind is that when I told him I will not be giving more money even if I have to cancel the order.

Anyways as of now the deal stands as it was before 3% above invoice. And I think even if I get the car at invoice, it is not worth the hassle for me to save another $1800 at most. I just want the car as of yesterday...

Again, Thanks for all the help.
  • das_jesterdas_jester Posts: 2
    My wife and I are looking at a 99 E320 and it although it has many great features one thing we find is that in the back you can feel a lot of sway back and forth and up and down while driving.

It is almost like the suspension is loose / not tight. Is this the normal ride for such a car? We are used to a Lexus ES300 which is a tigher ride, but this car is bigger than the 320 so we do not know if this is "normal" for MB trying to make the ride cushy.

Thanks,

Kevin
  • das_jesterdas_jester Posts: 2
    I am looking at 99 E320 and while test driving it if I accellerate hard it will rev up to over 4K before shifting - this is 4th gear (not drive).

If I accellerate fast but not hard it shifts in the 3K range.

Is this normal for this car or should I have it checked out.

TIA

Kevin
  • Hello,
    I have a 1997 E 320 with 41,000 miles. Every tank of gas has been premium. Everything is great with the car. However, with gas prices going up, premium gas is getting to be pricy.
    Has anyone tried mid-grade or regular gas in an E320?
    What are the short term performance issues? Are there any long term damage concerns?
    Thanks,
    Wayne
  • bargamonbargamon Posts: 302
    In my opinion, the new 6 series bimmer is sweet, but but the rear quarter looks just like the previous generation model Honda Prelude hatchback.

Dl, Turbo diesels sell for a premium because of their long term durability and good MPG. Regarding the straight 6 or inline, I would go with newest model and certainly the new motor. Drew has mentioned previously that it has a design award as engine of the year by a rating service (wards????). Perhaps one of our faithful E-class brothers in arms could lend a little technical advice regarding the benefits of V-6 vs straight. I know BMW stays with the inline.

Deposit: Could be salesman gets paid from deposits and by getting additional money he gets a commision before delivery?? Of course if you cancel he has to give it back, but it is possiblehe did it independently. If he leaves his job soon perhaps a tell tail sign. Food for thought. I like the way you handled it and telling manager displeasure was good. Some sales people are jerks, and some are excellent. Biz is alittle tough at the MB. Good luck with the car!
  • haspelbeinhaspelbein Posts: 227
    The main difference (other than the dimensions of the engine) is that an I6 has inherently less vibrations than a comparable V6 configuration. This is normally countered by a balance shaft in the V6, and MB has done a very good job with it.

I personally own an E320 with the I6, but I know that the E320 V6 is also an excellent engine. MB is constantly pushing the 'low friction' concept with their engines, so there is a slight increase in HP and gas mileage with the V6.
    Funny, we're having the same discussion over in the M-class topic. Check out the following links. If you look in your owner's manual, you'll find that MB specfies that you have to use premium fuel with octane 91 or higher. This is not a recommendation, but a requirement. According to the owner's manual, if you really cannot find premium fuel, you may fill up the tank with regular or mid-grade gas, but you should go back to premium right after.

thor8 "Mercedes-Benz M-class" May 7, 2001 9:25pm

tarik "Mercedes-Benz M-class" May 8, 2001 5:15am

thor8 "Mercedes-Benz M-class" May 8, 2001 7:59am
    Yes, the MB 3.2L V6 SOHC engine has been on Wards' ten best engines list since 1997 when it came out. The benefits of the V6 over the previous I6 engine include improved emissions (especally a great reduction in cold start emissions), more horsepower and torque, a much flatter torque curve, and greater efficiency. It also requires less space than the Inline 6 engine, allowing for a lower hood. The I6 won't fit under the M-class' hood, for example. Because of BMW's continued use of the I6 design, this is also the reason why their vehicles still continue to have relativelylong and high hoods. The BMW X5 is about a couple of inches longer than the M-class, yet is is much smaller inside; much of the vehicle's length is taken up by the long engine bay, hence leaving less room for the cabin.

http://www.wardsauto.com/default.asp?action=be

http://www.wardsauto.com/default.asp?action=en#d

Drew
    Host
  • microrepairmicrorepair Eastern MassachusettsPosts: 508
    I couldn't help but think of a Pontiac when I look at the M6 from the A-pillar to the front bumper.. Right out of GM's Detroit studio.. (Grand AM ??)

Re: the 99 with a soft rear suspension. If the car is being sold by a Starmark dealer with the Starmark warranty you might point out that the rear struts might need replacing and see what they say.

Re: hi-test gas. I've used mid-grade gas quite frequently for over two years and have not noticed any problem with short or long term performance or reliability issues. I've got the I6 E320..
    This is from the M-class list...the author, Harold, has worked with MB engineers, and has written a book about the ML, so he knows his stuff. Personally, I wouldn't want to risk the longevity of the engine just to save a bit, nor would I want to second guess the MB engineers. That's why I always stick to octane 91...92 or 93 is unnecessary, so I skip that unless it is the same price. As my parents (long time MB customers) say, if you can't afford the premium gas for a Mercedes, then maybe you shouldn't be driving a Mercedes.

http://www.escribe.com/automotive/european/mbmc/m9038.html

http://www.escribe.com/automotive/european/mbmc/m3116.html (Typo in this message, it should be 91, not 92)
  • webracingwebracing Posts: 2
    Hi,

After much discussion, my wife is ready to leasing her first Mercedes E320 sedan. Knowing the new bodystyle is coming out next year, as well as the current state of economy, what type of deal can she expect? I have heard many stories about dealers offering E-class below invoice in order to get people interested.

Here are the terms she is looking for.

1. $5,000 down.
    2. 15,000 miles / year.
    3. 48 month lease.
    4. Little or no options (Maybe just the COMAND system).

Since this is our first Mercedes, I will appreciate if anyone can offer us suggestions/recommendations.

Thanks in advance!

Jeff
  • timhtimh Posts: 5
    Hi all,
    I know this is the sedan board, but it does effect all e-class owners.

I just purchased a 2001 E320 wagon (4matic) and so far so good. One puzzler though -
    In the catalog (back pages - specificatons) it states that the remotes can be tied to the individual seat/mirror/steering presets. I read this, and did not mention it to the sales rep, as just about all your higher line vehicles provide this function (hell, even our low ball GMC Envoy has this). Well, after spending about an hour going through the owners manual (300+ pages - whew!) I could not find the procedure on how to program them. I contacted the local dealer and could not get a answer on how to program it. After waiting for over (2) weeks to get the dealer to figure it out, I contacted M-B directly. I was informed that it was a typo. OK, I thought, everybody makes typos (just read this) but the printed date for the catalog is 7/00. Has nobody else caught this? Am I the first person to bring this to M-B's attention? I think not. The funny thing about this is that most of the on-line auto review sites list this as a new for 2001 feature! Anybody else catch this?

Tim
  • mbdrivermbdriver Posts: 426
    For MB owners with COMAND -- I just discovered, after upgrading the wheels-tires on my '00 E320 to 17"-235/45R17, I had to enter the change into the COMAND "settings," including the fact that the tires were "new" (had more than 4mm or 3/8" of tread). Interesting!

Also, I had no trouble selling the OEM wheels-tires (less than 6000 miles) on eBay. And the upgrade dramatically improved the car's handling, stability, tracking and steering.
  • mark156mark156 Posts: 1,992
    Hi folks,

I just rode in a 2000 Mercedes E-class diesel 6 speed manual. I was driven from Bellagio Italy to Venice... a 3.5 hour drive. This car was the "classic" version. (clothe, basic options) In Europe, you can get the Classic, Elegance or the Avantgard. We reached speeds of 150 km on the expressway. I'll have to check to see have fast that was when I get back home. Happy Motoring, Mark

Don't miss the weekly MB Tuesdays chat at 6-7pm Pacific/9-10pm Eastern! All MB fans/enthusists/owners/potential owners are welcome to participate. Hope to see you there!

Click on the link below to enter the chat at the times above. Note that the link to the chat is always near the top of this page, just under the discussion topic title:

http://www.edmunds.com/chat/mercedeschat.html

Drew
    Host
  • livetodrivelivetodrive Posts: 104
    This issue came up on this board several months ago with the same conclusion - the remote key fob will not control the individual presets. Having read recent C-class posts, it's just as well. They have had an awful time with the keys on the new C-classes - can't unlock the doors, start the car, adjust seats, etc. DC should take the Jeep system and integrate in the Mercedes, my Jeep Grand Cherokee's remote control system works fine!
    Anyway, if you find a way to get your key to control the presets, please let us know!
  • dunninladunninla Posts: 33
    I had the Eibach Pro-Kit springs installed today, and I am happy to report that this accomplished both of my objectives: reduce sway on cornering, and reduce the space between tires and bottom of the fender. And the great thing is it did not make the ride harsher as I thought it might....the change from 16" to 17" wheels had a much bigger affect on the plushness of the ride. Honestly I don't think the ride is harsher at all than from before the Eibachs. The steering response is much quicker, since the new springs react faster to steering input.

I suspect I have 90% of the handling the E55 has now, with much less harshness. Its a nice compromise to go with 17" wheels and Eibach springs.

As it turns out, the gap between tire and the bottom of the fender was reduced from 2.375 inches to 1.5" in the front, and from 2.875 inches to 1.375 inches in the back. I was also told my car came from the factory with pad #2 installed, that is #2 out of the 5 possible pad sizes.

Overall, I can report no downside to the installation of these springs. I was told by Globe Motorsport that they have installed almost 5,000 pairs of these springs on E-class, with less than a .05% complaint factor. They also said they could have installed H&R springs, and that the H&R lowers the car further, giving an even more aggressive look. I however like the "conservatively aggressive" look I got from the Eibachs.
  • dl7265dl7265 Posts: 1,381
    I missed tonights chat waaa lol , thanks for the informative post re the I6 vs V6. Since I own a BMW now i know the wonderfullness of the I6 there must be none smoother. Not being that familur with MB i needed some pointers. I had actually heard that the reasons also for V6 was increased safety, you know all salesmen must go to the same training program, " this car has crumple zone and the engine is designed to "drop down" in case of an accident, bla bla bla.

I can say investigating accidents that ive never seen a engine "drop down " and honestly the crash test of running a car 40mph into a wall, arent to likely to happen on the road. The most likley synario is to be have a side impact IE red light runners.... and with todays soccer moms driving 6000lb Excursions with a bumper match at your head , talking on cell phone's we are all in trouble......

okay, yall talked me into looking at the 98 and up V6 :)

DL
  • jdsu1437jdsu1437 Posts: 3
    Does anyone know what is the current money factor (interest rates) for leasing the 2001 E320 (3-year, 12,000 miles/year)? Thanks.

Allen
  • bargamonbargamon Posts: 302
    You could perhaps let us know what the cost for the springs and installation was. Thanks....
  • mercz97mercz97 Posts: 5
    Hi Folks,

Just upgraded my wheels on my 97 E320. Went with 18X8 OZ Racing Opera Modular Rims in the front with Michelin Pilot Sport 235/40-18 and 18X9 rear with 275/35-18. One word "Awesome".
This discussion has been closed.