Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedans

Comments

• drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382

Don't miss the weekly MB Tuesdays chat at 6-7pm Pacific/9-10pm Eastern! All MB fans/enthusists/owners/potential owners are welcome to participate. Hope to see you there!

Click on the link below to enter the chat at the times above. Note that the link to the chat is always near the top of this page, just under the discussion topic title:

http://www.edmunds.com/chat/mercedeschat.html

• jneejnee Member Posts: 21
    I thought the 2001 E320s already had a emergency trunk release in the trunk? I thought I saw the trunk release in the trunk when I test drove one. Maybe I was mistaken? Not sure now:) Any 2001 owners' know if there's one in the trunk?
  • bigrobnhbigrobnh Member Posts: 114
    I also have the ventilated seats and I believe that Drew is correct. They are designed to draw the air through the perforated leather and out the vent that's installed in the seat back (for the lucky rear seat passengers).

I like mine and use them often. Worth a thousand bucks? No...simple perforated leather is probably sufficient. How often can you use the cost justification with this car anyhow? To me there is the satisfaction of owning the finest sedan on the market.

Later,
    BigRob.
  • tendonstendons Member Posts: 43
    drove about 800 miles today at what I thought was between 70-90 mph but the computer said was avg 68 with mileage about 24.8 Really impressive for the power. I am starting to bond with the car; the 93 500E memory is fading.
  • varigvarig Member Posts: 99
    Are most dealers offering $2-2.5K off MSRP or Invoice on 2001 E320 models (w/4Matic)?
  • finadvfinadv Member Posts: 59
    I just recently bought a '98 E320. I have seen a lot of posts about average speed and MPG readouts. Is this not an option on a '98 or am I missing something.

Thanks
  • cmayercmayer Member Posts: 38
    The system has been upgraded since '98.
  • wbreauxwbreaux Member Posts: 33
    I wanted to know what other people's experience with service departments has been; mine has been terrible at Mercedes Benz of Houston North. I just called to bring my car in and they said they would not have a loaner car available until mid August, and as usual no one will answer the phone in the service department, or return messages.

I've brought it in twice before and have had pretty much the same, although for the first scheduled maintenance they did have a loaner (Camry).

By the way, the Brake Lining Wear inicator came on. Any comments on how urgent this is, ie could I put a few hundred miles on the car before taking it in?
  • kenyeekenyee Member Posts: 738
    Out of curiosity, why are you not going to Star Motors? They're the first place I'd go to if I were in Houston...
  • wbreauxwbreaux Member Posts: 33
    MB North is closest to where I live in The Woodlands. The other 2 MBs are (I think) out I10 and down on H59. I have thought about trying them.
  • roxnadzroxnadz Member Posts: 1
    Greetings,

Am in the market for an E-class (probably a 97 E420 or 98 E430) and was wondering if there are any people out there who have driven in the winter in their MBZs with no 4Matic to assist them. Specifically, have any of you driven the Tahoe commute (that is, Bay Area/Sac Valley to Tahoe/Reno) during the winter? If so, how is it up there? I know RWD isn't great up in the mountains but I figure if I drive sensibly I should be able to avoid many spinouts. I'm coming from a FWD car so any information on this issue would help. Thanks
  • dman12dman12 Member Posts: 9
    Warren,

You're probably getting caught behind all of the flooded cars they have. But don't get me wrong, I am certainly not defending their service dept as I was also very unimpressed with them on several occasions. Feel free to email me if you want specifics (DDescant@Houston.rr.com).

I understand MB North is the closest dealer to the Woodlands, but trust me. Take the extra 20-30 minute drive and take your car to Chris Palumbo at Star Motors. His customer service skills are absolutely outstanding. You might want to call first as I know they had over 100 flooded cars when I was there a month ago. Sorry I can't help with your wear indicator problem.

Good luck.
  • bargamonbargamon Member Posts: 302
    I find it amusing the avg speed readings on the computer. THe moment you turn the car on and let it warm up counts against the speed and mpg. Stopping at a light counts, deceleration and acceleration count. Thats why the speed is always lower than one thinks.

Getting 21.7mpg in mixed suburban driving. 25mpg on trips doing about 65mph, and about 23 when at 8omph. Motor now has 8k on it and is sweet (E430).
  • gasr3gasr3 Member Posts: 8
    Any advise on getting a rack for my 2000 E320. I'm interested in a ski rack and or possibly a small roof top carrier. Thanks.
  • sassasassa Member Posts: 2
    I have a '96 300 diesel with 34K miles that has had continued problems with electrical issues. Early on examples include the SRS system kept alerting to problems that did not exist, I have had to change bulbs more frequently than any car I have owned, and now the most mysterious. The LCD warning for checking engine electronics continues to go on randomly when the vehicle is started or when I apply the brakes and a turn signal at the same time. This does not happen all of the time. The dealer has not been able to find the cause but is "experimenting" at my cost. Does anyone have similar experiences or suggestions for resolution? Consumer Reports rated the cars electronics to be the weakest link.
  • dallasbenzodallasbenzo Member Posts: 1
    I have just purchased a new black/java E430 2 weeks ago and during hte 1st 24 hours was at a movie theater with my family during the day in Grapevine Texas. The car was keyed in the parking lot. It is now in the shop being repaired to the tune of $800 plus rental car expense. Park Place Motorcars would not give me a loaner for body repairs. I am now looking for a proximity alarm or something that will get so LOUD if someone gets too close to the car it might scare would-be keyers away! Anyone had any luck with this type of alarm system or have any better ideas?
  • jtouga1jtouga1 Member Posts: 8
    All you European car lovers out there, please check into "European Parallel Importing" on the Smart Shopper in the Town Hall.

I really need you opinons and advice on this subject. Thanks...

Jon
  • vpicolo1vpicolo1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a simple problem with my 2001 E430. I need a 2nd coffee cup holder. Any suggestions?
  • eadlueadlu Member Posts: 13
    NHTSA has posted a service bulletin which states that M/B will replace the air bags on the left doors and/or the right doors. Anybody had the bags replaced or know anything further about this matter? The Service Bulletin is 2001040001, the Bulletin Sequence is 195 and is dated 0104
  • w210w210 Member Posts: 188
    Office of Defects Investigation
    Service Bulletins Database
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Call the Auto Safety Hotline toll free at (888) 327-4236 to report safety defects or to obtain information on cars, trucks, child seats, highway or traffic safety.
    Report Date: July 23, 2001 03:30:46 AM
    Service Bulletin Number: 2001040001
    Bulletin Sequence Number: 195
    Date of Bulletin: 0104
    NHTSA Item Number: SB619606
    Make: MERCEDES BENZ
    Model: E CLASS
    Year: 2000
    Component: INTERIOR SYSTEMS:PASSIVE RESTRAINT:AIR BAG:SIDE DOOR
    Summary: SERVICE CAMPAIGN TO REPLACE THE FRONT LEFT, REAR LEFT AND / OR RIGHT SIDE IMPACT AIRBAGS ON 2000 SLK AND E-CLASS VEHICLES. *TT
  • microrepairmicrorepair Member Posts: 508
    I replaced the pads on my 96 E320 a few months back after driving an additional 100 miles or so. Half of that was to get to a dealer for pads. Good thing I also bought the sensors (only a couple dollars each as I recall) because they were also showing signs of wear. But as far as the pads, they could have gone an additional 1000 miles or so without causing a rotor problem. Not sure though whether the sensor scraping on the rotor would do any significant damage. My rotors were in fine shape though.
  • dcman2dcman2 Member Posts: 24
    I do have a suggestion. I discovered an interesting place where you can park your coffee mugs or soda cups. It's, of all the places, the glove compartment. You'll need to open the glove compartment and leave it open until you consume your drink making sure it does not spill on your seat or pants. Only MB can explain why a glove compartment is a better place than a cup holder right next to the seat, especially, in a roomy car like E. Perhaps, MB has to take a page out of Japanese for interior conveniences.
  • bigrobnhbigrobnh Member Posts: 114
    I consider the cup holders to be one of the only lame features on this car. Nothing fits in the "hole". The "calipers" don't actually hold anything and anything placed in them are constantly in danger of spilling. I usually just rest my travel mug on the center console itself.

But, boy, do they open and close smoothly...

I also found the ones in the glove box but my glove box door doesn't open to the point where it sits flat. Maybe they were planning on high-g acceleration runs???

Later,
    BigRob.
  • joeadpjoeadp Member Posts: 68
    Any explanation on why the recall has occurred?
  • billc01776billc01776 Member Posts: 17
    Joeadp - I heard that in hot weather, due to a defective sensor, that the side air bags were deploying while cars were parked.

BigRob - my glove box door doesn't lie flat either. It's probably ten degrees off.

Bill
  • jdrumjdrum Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking for some advice from drivers of the E320. I've test driven a used 2000 E320 4-Matic wagon at my local dealer up here in Maine. It has 18,000 miles, was reportedly a leased vehicle and asking price is $50,900. Options include the moon roof, leather seat inserts, heated seats and the Bose sound system. Currently I drive a BMW 525 wagon that's been a trouble-free car and very inexpensive to maintain. However, I've never been happy with the seats which are uncomfortable on long trips, the air-conditioner is noisy from outside the car, and it's a bit cramped inside if I have two real estate clients in the car. It seems like the E320 is the solution (no SUV's for me!) especially with the 4-matic for Maine winter driving. I'd appreciate any comments from happy or unhappy 4-matic wagon owners before I take the leap! Thanks! Jim in Maine
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    That sounds pricey. It's not far off the invoice on a new one.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    I agree with raybear. I'm seriously condsidering replacing our SUV this fall/winter with a E320 Wagon and would expect to pay approximately $2,000 under invoice for a brand new 2002. I could have purchased a brand new 2001 for around $49,500, but I'm not ready to buy now and it didn't have the options I want. The sales manager encouraged me to wait for a couple of months after the 2002's start arriving (about now). He thought the $2,000 dealer incentives would be continued.

If I were you and could wait, I'd hold off until October-November. I live in Washington DC, but have family in Maine. If you can't get a good deal there, I can refer you to my local dealer here. I would be sursprised if you couldn't match your 2000 demo price for a new 2002.

I am a big BMW sedan fan, but also agree that the Mercedes Wagon has many advantages over a 5-series. Also, one of the options which I would be getting are the "multi-contoured" seats. They are a rare option to find on the lot, but I only had to try them once to be sold on ordering them.

P.S. As far as service goes, I've heard nothing but good reviews by friends who own E-class cars. The exception is a friend who bought a 1997 E420 and has had a lot of nuisance problems (mostly electrical). They seem to have worked the bugs out since. In addition, Mercedes offers a better included maintenance/service plan (4 years / $50k) than does BMW.

Good luck.
  • varigvarig Member Posts: 99
    That's interesting that you should say that your dealer is offering $2K BELOW invoice on a 2002. My local dealer was trying to tell me that $1K above invoice on a 2001 was the "best" that they could do. Needless to say..... I'm not driving an E right now.
  • mbdrivermbdriver Member Posts: 426
    You need to trade in your local dealer for one who isn't trying to gouge their customers -- or should I say "the public"?
    Clarification: The $2k below invoice was for a new 2001 model in late June when MB was giving dealers a $2,000 incentive. My dealer speculated that, if I wait until October or November, I would likely be able to get a similar deal on a 2002 (assuming they continue/reoffer dealer incentives). I haven't checked, but I doubt they would be able to give me $2k below invoice on a 2002 this early in the new model year. Also, they aren't "offering" or advertising such deals. I went in equiped with info on the incentive and the referral of a business partner who knows the owners.
  • alvertalvert Member Posts: 1
    I have rust showing around the trunk sensor (the only spot on the car) on my 1997 E-class 300D. I have noticed that this sensor was removed on later model years vehicles, not sure which year. Has anyone had experience with a similar issue. Although the car is less than 5 years old it does have approximately 92,500 miles. Mercedes has refused to accept responsibility and fix my problem. Any suggestions on who I might appeal to would be helpful.......... thanks in advance from an unhappy Mercedes owner.
    As I posted earlier several messages ago, I was able to cut a deal on a new 2001 E320 for $2,500 under invoice in early June when MB was offering a $2,000 incentive on E-class. I took the delivery from the dealer's inventory though. As habitat1 stated, this was an unadvertised incentive from MB. One day I casually went to the carsDirect.com site and saw a reference about special promotion from manufacturer to dealer. I asked a local dealer what the promotion was all about as carsDirect.com does not state a dollar amount for the promotion. The dealer was forthcoming in providing the details and I did not waste any time. I would not have known about this incentive had I not checked carsDirect.com.

Jim: I agree with habitat1 and raybear. For that kind of money, you should be able to get a brand new vehicle.
    I used the "calipers" one day to hold my Dunkaccino (sp?) and ended up with half the cup running all over the horizontal console with the window switches, etc.. Enough sweet sticky stuff ran down inside so that the right hand mirror would no longer respond to manipulating the switch. The switch was replaced under the Starmark warranty and no, I don't feel guilty. It was their stupid cupholder that didn't work right...!
  • vs4vs4 Member Posts: 70
    I have 2001 E430 with 1500 miles on it and today when I started the car, it said NO PHONE and NO CD CHANGER. The phone works fine if I unplug it. Also Info-services(CNN...) does not work either. Could some one tell me if there is anything simple like pressing a button will reset these components or I should be taking this to the dealer. Also anybody else experienced similar problem and if did what was done to cure it. Thanks for all your help in advance.
  • jparrottjparrott Member Posts: 15
    jdrum Jul 24, 2001 2:38pm

If you didn't like the seats in the BMW, you will hate the seats in the 320. If you want a station wagon, please look at the new Volvo S70, especially the T5. It is the best car in the world! I seize every chance I can to steal off in my wife's 2001 T5 and leave my E320 sitting in the driveway. This Volvo has the most comfortable seats I've ever felt, gobs of power, much better driveability than my car, quiet, smooth, looks great and is fun to drive!
  • bjhowardbjhoward Member Posts: 1
    I live in FL and plan to purchase an E430. I had hope to complete purchase by 8/4. Can anyone give me advice on (1) should I wait to view the 2002, do u think I will get a better deal on 2001 once 2002 hit the lot and (2) what are the pros and cons of the navigational system
    I have extensively test driven and compared these two cars. While they both have excellent virtues, I have some reservations about the V70 T5:

RESALE: Poor resale value compared to Mercedes. In the DC area, E-320 Wagons have about as strong of resale value of any car out there. If the used car ads in the Washington Post are any indication, Volvo's definitely depreciate a lot more percentage-wise over 3-4 years.

PERFORMANCE: I found the power wasn't as impressive as the horsepower ratings suggest. I drove a 5-speed and found it somewhat dissapointing, in spite of my strong preference for manual transmissions. Maybe my expectations were too high and/or I didn't push it hard enough past the turbo lag rpm level to get the most out of it. I did push the Volvo hard enough to find out what "torque steer" means - and it's a little disconcerting. Mercedes acceleration, albeit not as strong when pushed, feels better at lower RPM's.

MAINTENANCE / SERVICE: According to friends and colleagues, Volvo turbochargers seem to have a life expectancy of 75,000 to 125,000 miles. Extremely expensive to replace and that probably adds to the high depreciation factor. No free maintenance included with Volvo as per BMW or Mercedes.

SIZE: Big size difference. I have 2 young kids that would fit comfortably in the Mercedes third seat for several years. The Volvo's third seat is optional and much tighter. Other interior dimensions of the Mercedes are larger as well.

SEATS: I agree that the standard Volvo seats are very comfortable and better than Mercedes. However, the Mercedes optional multi-contoured seats are equally comfortable to me.

Sounds like I'm dumping on Volvo. Not at all. It's a hell of a good car and my wife (who also likes manual transmissions) would probably shoot me if she saw this post. She's the Mom that Volvo advertisements are targeted at. And it is true that the Volvo costs about $12k less.
  • vs4vs4 Member Posts: 70
    Adding further to the post #2090. Just noticed that Voice activation does not work either. I have started car 3 times since I encountered these problems and also turned on/off the command system but that did not help either. Tried taking the cd-caddy out and reinserted but still not detecting the cd-changer. Interestingly it says No Malufunction on in-dash LCD. I called tele-aid folks and they tried there diagnostice remotely but that did not tell them much about it so they suggested to take the car to the dealer. Please read post#:2090 as well.

Any help will be helpful. Thanks...
  • john319john319 Member Posts: 37
    I don't have the phone but when I first got my 2000 E320 the CD CHANGER NOT INSTALLED message came on quite often. I had to shut off car and restart and it works. Sometimes it require shut down and restart a few times before it sees the changer. Dealer replaced the changer with no luck. He asked if I wanted to replace the head unit as well, I said "forget it". It has not happened in over a year now though.
  • jparrottjparrott Member Posts: 15
    habitat1 Jul 25, 2001 7:00pm

Sorry--not S70, V70. I guess I've got the S80 and S60 on my mind, since I'm eager for the 2002's to appear and see about trading my E320.
  • rowlandjrowlandj Member Posts: 254
    For what it's worth I came to MB (E320) from a Volvo S80 and the MB has a feel that Volvo will never come close to. My reason for the switch was the fact that my Volvo had some well-known issues and Volvo NA refused to acknowledge any issues and problems. Without a doubt they have the most incompetent customer support of any organization I ever dealt with, and I had their "flagship" model.

Anyway, seats are one thing and the S80's were fine - they just have very nice seats in what are, at best, very ordinary cars. In fact, for the money the S80 was sub-par. If you check out postings about S80's there are a lot more complaints than raves.

I truly enjoy my E and I have since added a C320 to my "car pool" as I am saving my previous commuter car for my "soon to be new driver" in the house.

JR
  • drdan976drdan976 Member Posts: 4
    I need some direction on an aftermarket exhaust. I dont want something that is too loud.

Thanks
  • bargamonbargamon Member Posts: 302
    Seats are very individual subjective opinions.

I love the seats in the e-class. My friends 99 s-class are not as comfortable FOR ME. That does not make it a less of a car. Another friend did not re-up on a LS lexus sedan because he found the seat in the camrey was better FOR HIM. Thats radical, but some people have a different priority. My suggestion is to anyone shopping is to sit in the cars and determine for themselves. From there one can decide.
    bargamon has it right; everyone fits a seat differently so therefore, seat comfort is very subjective. I think the seats in my E are pretty good, but I am disappointed that a car in this price range does not have adjustable lumbar support as standard. I've only sat in varous recent Volvo models briefly, because in one dimension or another (knee room, head room, leg room, etc), each of their models does not allow me to get comfortable.
    The car in which I truly enjoyed the seats was a 1988 Mazda MX-6 coupe. They had about 9 ways to adjust, including kidney bolsters and thigh support. And the seats were firm and supportive enough that I often drove as much as 10-12 hours in a day and did not feel tired at the end of the day. Conversely, my wife hated those seats. They were "too hard".. So each to his own..
  • fred132fred132 Member Posts: 22
    I've been away from this board for awhile... I now have around 5000 miles on my '01 E320. So far, it has been flawless. I have not had one single problem.

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but -- I feel that I need to change the oil in my car before it reaches the planned maintenance interval -- especially since I got a letter from MB saying only MOBIL1 or other synthetic oil makes sense given their planned maintenance approach. (Like 10k miles between oil changes!).

My question is, what happens if I change it myself? Will doing this somehow screw up their maintenance process? Is there any reason that a Quick Lube place can't change the oil in this thing?
  • ssmith701ssmith701 Member Posts: 4
    We came to MB from Volvo (rolandj No 2097) having had their s-80 turbo. The ONLY things good about that car were the seats and the air conditioning system. Volvo NA was the most arrogant, non consumer oriented company with which I've ever dealt. They refused to acknowledge any problems.

We love our E-320 4 Matic. Runs like a dream. Ok, the seats are hard, but that's teutonic engineering. Unfortunately, we bought the C-320 and it's being bought back by the dealer--new model defects coming and going.

Get the E-320 wagon. No question, best wagon, best value. Practically zero depreciation.
  • wnielwniel Member Posts: 97
    I have a 2000 E430 and had the same problem and it would tend to correct itself by turning the car on and off. After a point in time I took it back to the dealer and they put in a new electronic module which seems to have corrected the problem. However, the car prior to having the module replaced hadn't acted up for some time but I just wanted the latest technology in the car, and the problem was and is known to Mercedes.
  • svinaiksvinaik Member Posts: 84
    Jump seat area in the wagon gets too hot. Kids love to sit there but complain about it being too hot. I know that tinting is not recommended for the E-class because of tight tolerence in the windows and potential scratching but since the rear windows in the wagon are fixed and cannot be opened, any ideas about the tinting. Also, if anyone has done it, could you please share how it looks etc...and what shade?. My wagon is brilliant silver.

Thanks
    I am planning to take my car for a "touchless" carwash this weekend. I took a cursory look at the thick manual for a reference on whether or not the side mirrors fold and I did not find any. I recall a friend of mine talking about folding mirrors, I believe, for a station wagon. Any of you tried folding the mirrors on an E320? If that feature is not there, I rather not take chances.

BTW, it takes quite a bit of patience to read and understand what the manual is trying to tell you.
This discussion has been closed.