Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedans

Comments

• dcman2dcman2 Posts: 24
    I do agree, as a few posts suggested earlier, that the seats are kind of uncomfortable no matter what position you set them to. To make things worse, I am not sure whether the A/C unit distributes cooling evenly. I took my E320 out for a couple of hours of drive on a real hot and muggy day. I felt the seats stayed much warmer compared to the cabin temperature. I tried to direct the vents towards seats. But that did not help much. I am not sure how "ventillated seats" works. I took the car from the dealer's inventory and it did not carry that as an option. Is this just me or do you all feel the same? Any thoughts? Also, any of you tried after market add-ons to make the seats more comfortable?
  • macbestmacbest Posts: 55
    It is my understanding that the 2002's were to be released today. They would be held up, however, based on inventory on the lots of 2001's. Has anyone out there seen a 2002 on the lot today or recently? Please let us know so that I can put pressure on my dealer to release the 2002 that I ordered that he has sitting on the docks until MB releases them.
  • tendonstendons Posts: 43
    there are six fans under the seat which blow upwards. Their effect is not remarkable, but there is a sensation of coolness in the seat, felt better if your pants or skirts are fairly thin. They do seem to help with keeping away some of the stickiness from long rides. I don't think they're worth the 1000 or so. i think the human body doesn't do so well with a cold [non-permissible content removed].
  • AlirobAlirob Posts: 17
    Has anyone had experience changing the glass cover for the front fog lights on the e320. I thought it would be easy but when I looked under the bumper I saw that the fog light assembly was enclosed within the bumper. You would think that since the fog lights are mounted so low where they are vulnerable to stones and other road debris, that the cover would be an unbreakable plastic instead of glass.
  • 1cajun1cajun Posts: 3
    Fog light lens are easy to replace. Look for access door under the car, right under the fog lamp. Open this door and release the entire fog light assy with a couple of nuts. The entire assy will hang though this door, suspended by the wires. The lens is held on by two or three clips. Pull the clips off and the lens comes off. Replacement lens at MB dealer are about $18. The only MB bargin i've ever found. Good luck.
  • jneejnee Posts: 21
    Does anyone know of any changes made on the 2002 Es? Thanks.
  • macbestmacbest Posts: 55
    The only change that they have published to the 2002E's is an interior trunk release. I guess this in case you get locked in the trunk!

Also, there will be some improvements to the Tele Aid system (not sure if this will apply to pre-2002's) that include concierge services and one other feature.

The 2002's were supposed to be released Monday, July 16, but due to the number of 2001's on the lot, they are delayed with no word as to when they will release.
  • bargamonbargamon Posts: 302
    I think the human body varies with each and every person, and its an individual preference. For those whom are in need, the multi-bladder seat can accomodate. For me, I love the base seat. Its perfect and one reason I got the E. The multi contour for me would be a waste.

My wife prefers her ML which is very different in that you sit on top of the bucket, where the base seat in the E you get "hugged". For her contours, it suits her better. No right or wrong, just different.

My friend swears his 94' camrey is better for him than his 98' C class. Whom am I to argue.

He claims the bottom of his seat is shot. His wife drives it and she is only 130lbs. Does anyone know if it can be restuffed? and is it costly?
  • valueguyvalueguy Posts: 208
    I am not that impressed with the styling of the
    2003 E Class. I think the car resembles a Jaguar "S" type. However, it will fit nicely between the C and S Class.

I saw AutoWeek last night and the review of the new C Class mentioned a few problems with early
    (first 3-6 month) production run. I would wait until the end of the 2003 model year or 2004 to buy the new E.

I hope the new interior and engine give me a reason to buy the M-B instead of the Lexus or BMW 540I.
  • drew_drew_ Posts: 3,382

Don't miss the weekly MB Tuesdays chat at 6-7pm Pacific/9-10pm Eastern! All MB fans/enthusists/owners/potential owners are welcome to participate. Hope to see you there!

Click on the link below to enter the chat at the times above. Note that the link to the chat is always near the top of this page, just under the discussion topic title:

http://www.edmunds.com/chat/mercedeschat.html

• jneejnee Posts: 21
    I thought the 2001 E320s already had a emergency trunk release in the trunk? I thought I saw the trunk release in the trunk when I test drove one. Maybe I was mistaken? Not sure now:) Any 2001 owners' know if there's one in the trunk?
  • bigrobnhbigrobnh Posts: 114
    I also have the ventilated seats and I believe that Drew is correct. They are designed to draw the air through the perforated leather and out the vent that's installed in the seat back (for the lucky rear seat passengers).

I like mine and use them often. Worth a thousand bucks? No...simple perforated leather is probably sufficient. How often can you use the cost justification with this car anyhow? To me there is the satisfaction of owning the finest sedan on the market.

Later,
    BigRob.
  • tendonstendons Posts: 43
    drove about 800 miles today at what I thought was between 70-90 mph but the computer said was avg 68 with mileage about 24.8 Really impressive for the power. I am starting to bond with the car; the 93 500E memory is fading.
  • varigvarig Posts: 99
    Are most dealers offering $2-2.5K off MSRP or Invoice on 2001 E320 models (w/4Matic)?
  • finadvfinadv Posts: 59
    I just recently bought a '98 E320. I have seen a lot of posts about average speed and MPG readouts. Is this not an option on a '98 or am I missing something.

Thanks
  • cmayercmayer Posts: 38
    The system has been upgraded since '98.
  • wbreauxwbreaux Posts: 33
    I wanted to know what other people's experience with service departments has been; mine has been terrible at Mercedes Benz of Houston North. I just called to bring my car in and they said they would not have a loaner car available until mid August, and as usual no one will answer the phone in the service department, or return messages.

I've brought it in twice before and have had pretty much the same, although for the first scheduled maintenance they did have a loaner (Camry).

By the way, the Brake Lining Wear inicator came on. Any comments on how urgent this is, ie could I put a few hundred miles on the car before taking it in?
  • kenyeekenyee Posts: 738
    Out of curiosity, why are you not going to Star Motors? They're the first place I'd go to if I were in Houston...
  • wbreauxwbreaux Posts: 33
    MB North is closest to where I live in The Woodlands. The other 2 MBs are (I think) out I10 and down on H59. I have thought about trying them.
  • roxnadzroxnadz Posts: 1
    Greetings,

Am in the market for an E-class (probably a 97 E420 or 98 E430) and was wondering if there are any people out there who have driven in the winter in their MBZs with no 4Matic to assist them. Specifically, have any of you driven the Tahoe commute (that is, Bay Area/Sac Valley to Tahoe/Reno) during the winter? If so, how is it up there? I know RWD isn't great up in the mountains but I figure if I drive sensibly I should be able to avoid many spinouts. I'm coming from a FWD car so any information on this issue would help. Thanks
  • dman12dman12 Posts: 9
    Warren,

You're probably getting caught behind all of the flooded cars they have. But don't get me wrong, I am certainly not defending their service dept as I was also very unimpressed with them on several occasions. Feel free to email me if you want specifics (DDescant@Houston.rr.com).

I understand MB North is the closest dealer to the Woodlands, but trust me. Take the extra 20-30 minute drive and take your car to Chris Palumbo at Star Motors. His customer service skills are absolutely outstanding. You might want to call first as I know they had over 100 flooded cars when I was there a month ago. Sorry I can't help with your wear indicator problem.

Good luck.
  • bargamonbargamon Posts: 302
    I find it amusing the avg speed readings on the computer. THe moment you turn the car on and let it warm up counts against the speed and mpg. Stopping at a light counts, deceleration and acceleration count. Thats why the speed is always lower than one thinks.

Getting 21.7mpg in mixed suburban driving. 25mpg on trips doing about 65mph, and about 23 when at 8omph. Motor now has 8k on it and is sweet (E430).
  • gasr3gasr3 Posts: 8
    Any advise on getting a rack for my 2000 E320. I'm interested in a ski rack and or possibly a small roof top carrier. Thanks.
  • sassasassa Posts: 2
    I have a '96 300 diesel with 34K miles that has had continued problems with electrical issues. Early on examples include the SRS system kept alerting to problems that did not exist, I have had to change bulbs more frequently than any car I have owned, and now the most mysterious. The LCD warning for checking engine electronics continues to go on randomly when the vehicle is started or when I apply the brakes and a turn signal at the same time. This does not happen all of the time. The dealer has not been able to find the cause but is "experimenting" at my cost. Does anyone have similar experiences or suggestions for resolution? Consumer Reports rated the cars electronics to be the weakest link.
  • I have just purchased a new black/java E430 2 weeks ago and during hte 1st 24 hours was at a movie theater with my family during the day in Grapevine Texas. The car was keyed in the parking lot. It is now in the shop being repaired to the tune of $800 plus rental car expense. Park Place Motorcars would not give me a loaner for body repairs. I am now looking for a proximity alarm or something that will get so LOUD if someone gets too close to the car it might scare would-be keyers away! Anyone had any luck with this type of alarm system or have any better ideas?
  • jtouga1jtouga1 Posts: 8
    All you European car lovers out there, please check into "European Parallel Importing" on the Smart Shopper in the Town Hall.

I really need you opinons and advice on this subject. Thanks...

Jon
  • vpicolo1vpicolo1 Posts: 1
    I have a simple problem with my 2001 E430. I need a 2nd coffee cup holder. Any suggestions?
  • eadlueadlu Posts: 13
    NHTSA has posted a service bulletin which states that M/B will replace the air bags on the left doors and/or the right doors. Anybody had the bags replaced or know anything further about this matter? The Service Bulletin is 2001040001, the Bulletin Sequence is 195 and is dated 0104
  • w210w210 Posts: 188
    Office of Defects Investigation
    Service Bulletins Database
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Call the Auto Safety Hotline toll free at (888) 327-4236 to report safety defects or to obtain information on cars, trucks, child seats, highway or traffic safety.
    Report Date: July 23, 2001 03:30:46 AM
    Service Bulletin Number: 2001040001
    Bulletin Sequence Number: 195
    Date of Bulletin: 0104
    NHTSA Item Number: SB619606
    Make: MERCEDES BENZ
    Model: E CLASS
    Year: 2000
    Component: INTERIOR SYSTEMS:PASSIVE RESTRAINT:AIR BAG:SIDE DOOR
    Summary: SERVICE CAMPAIGN TO REPLACE THE FRONT LEFT, REAR LEFT AND / OR RIGHT SIDE IMPACT AIRBAGS ON 2000 SLK AND E-CLASS VEHICLES. *TT
This discussion has been closed.