Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedans

Comments

• e320wagone320wagon Member Posts: 13
    I agree with you about oil changes - 10k (or more) feels like too much, especially on the break-in oil. In the past I've always changed at 1k, then 3k and every 3k thereafter. Being a dyed-in-the-wool DIY, I bought my MB filter, drain plug gasket, and 9 qts Mobil1 0W-40 oil, and a special MB wrench to remove the oil cannister. Job was a piece of cake - just make sure your drain pan is large enough. Didn't need to jack the car.

Odom read 2999 mi, and the oil that came out was reasonably dirty. I believe it was a synth blend. Very glad I changed it - not decided when the next change will be - I'll watch the color. Let me know if I can help with any questions.
  • juresjures Member Posts: 42
    to get folding mirrors, you need to have an s class, i just got a new e430 4 matic, i asked the dealer multiple times about the oil, the best they came up with was it was the castrol syn blend, the oil doesn't look as thin and clear as mobil 1 would. i will do the first oil change to mobil1 by 3k miles, but dont reset the fss counter. i'm really happy with the pirelli super sport 7000's that came with the car. i'm running 35 lbs pressure in the tires, anyone running a higher pressure? thanks roger
  • boladojboladoj Member Posts: 8
    Why is window tinting not recommended? I have not heard of this before.

Jack
  • macbestmacbest Member Posts: 55
    Just heard that MB has delayed the release of the 2002 E's because there are still too many 2001's on the lot. As someone who had one custom ordered and sitting on the dock for the past 2 weeks, it sure is a bummer. Given that the 2002 is identical to the 2001's, you'd think they'd get a clue and just go ahead and release them.

Any ideas on how to prompt MB along?
  • jamesr88jamesr88 Member Posts: 16
    concerning window tint, I have mine tinted beautifully black on my 00e430 black/black. looks great although there are definite scratches on tint. I have replaced one already and it is again scratched. more noticeable from inside but definitely there if you look. due to tight seal on E windows (mentioned numerous times on this thread} looks great though. Bottom line if you can live with them do it. Secondly, I read earlier on this thread about air bag recall on doors. Called dealer and said only certain lots were recalled and that I would have been informed by now if mine were affected and to be recalled. Any insight on this?
  • tendonstendons Member Posts: 43
    sometimes the remote functions from across the street to open the doors and at other times I have to get up to 5-10 feet of the car, parked the same way. Also the panic button won't function unless I'm fairly close to the car which seems a bit dysfunctional; I'd like to be able to have it function from 40-50 feet.Anyone else?
  • svinaiksvinaik Member Posts: 84
    Got the rear most 3 windows (Fixed windows..so no issue about scratching etc..) in my wagon tinted. I was initially worried about the looks etc. but after getting it done, very pleased with the results. Total cost $ 200 for the high performance film and one piece installation for the tailgate glass. It certainly adds to the wagon.
    I have still not decided about tinting the rear seat windows. Choice is between tinting and MB mesh shades. Has any one installed the mesh shades on the rear seat windows. Are they easy to do and any drilling etc. required?. I hate to admit but I am "Handy Work" challenged.
    Thanks to all you folks.
  • jparrottjparrott Member Posts: 15
    microrepair Jul 26, 2001 9:47am

I yanked the back off the driver's seat and stuffed a paperback behind the springs. Now I have lumbar support. If you just need a little support, you could use "Jonathon Livingston Seagull". For those who want more support, "War and Peace" or perhaps one of Clancy's books should do the job.
    tendons Jul 28, 2001 4:30pm

I think the remote is infrared, which makes it quite directional. I, too, have to be fairly close. I haven't figured out yet exactly what part of the car it is I'm supposed to aim at.
  • parfive1parfive1 Member Posts: 75
    The tinting on the E class definetly does scratch. I tinted mine soon after I bought it and the scratches developed right away. Very very irritating.
    I've been told that its the rubber seals at the bottom of the window thats doing the scratching. Most cars use a type of "felt" instead.
    As far as " tight tolerances" being the reason, I find that to be pure bull.
    MB builds a very fine car, but they still need to think things out a bit more.
  • parfive1parfive1 Member Posts: 75
    Have not posted on this board for about five months (other than the above window tinting issue), I thought I'd give a few observations (personal opinions) about my 00 E320 after almost one year of ownership.
    1. Style and looks... Still an A+
    2. Ride and stability... Built like a rock
    3. Performance... Very strong V6 (won't tell you how fast I've had it up to)
    4. Interior comfort.. pretty good, although it could use lumbar support.
    5.Gas mileage... got 28 mpg on a 190 mile trip.
    6.Steering wheel controls for CD player, telephone,radio, and all the other dash readouts.... very nice
    7.Window tint scratching... sucks. MB could do something about that. What about all those people living in the South west. Everybody tints their windows there.
    8.High graphite content in brakes...,I really tired of wiping down my wheels every other day.
    9. Euro power window switches...hate them. I have to reach over, or around, the gear shift to open the passenger side windows. They need to put them on the doors where they belong.
    10. To many little things needed repair right away...fuel gauge sensor, squeaking steering wheel, non working cup holder, plus a couple of other minor items.
    All in all a good car. Will I get another. Hmmmmm
  • ammclamammclam Member Posts: 3
    Hi Everyone:

I am the new owner of a 1997 E320 with 73,000 miles. This is my third BB; however, this one is more sophisticated than my two other alder models and I need your help to solve these problems as follows:

1) Engine Check/Engine Electronics light is on. I was told that I needed to make sure my gas cap is tight and I was sure of that. Is there any tool to reset this light similar to a reset tool for BOW? Do you have any similar problems like mine?

2) The transmission does not have a dip stick to check for transmission oil level. Is there any special tool to measure oil level when change transmission oil?

Thanks for your help.

Alert
  • sweetv12sweetv12 Member Posts: 58
    WIth the incentives on the '01s bringing the price of the e430 Sport down to the mid-50s, whats a fair price for an '00 with 19K miles? It comes with the COMAND system, E3 Sport Package, Heated and Multicontour Front Seats. I was thinking low 40s...

Thanks.
  • loubapacheloubapache Member Posts: 30
    This must be a very common thing.

I bought a 1997 E320 yesterday and the car had the Check Engine light on. The dealer I bought from took it to a MB dealer and they replaced the Air Mass meter (total parts and labor was $850 and I bought after they fixed that).

Before I bought that car, I test drove a 1998 E320 and it also had the Check Engine light on.

About the transmission. You are right that there is no dipstick as MB does not want drivers to "mess" with it. It is "sealed" for life. Of course, if you do want to change the fluid, you need to take it to the dealer as they need to monitor the temp to measure the fluid level.

Does any one know the lug bolt torque specs on the 1997 E320?

Thanks,
  • loubapacheloubapache Member Posts: 30
    My 1997 E320 came with the MB CD change and car phone. I can use the CD changer right away and love it.

My question is about the car phone. Does it need a special service for me to use it or I can use it for my current mobile phone?

TIA.
  • 96e32096e320 Member Posts: 5
    Could someone please give me the post #s with instructions on installing the wood shift knob.
    I have a 96 E320 and the current shift knob has a small chrome ring around the bottom and the MB emblem on top.

Thanks,
    John
  • htohto Member Posts: 21
    Hi everyone,

I'm new to this group. I have followed this messages board for a long time and last week I got a I miles 2001 E320. Here is my first hand on the BB E320:

1) The cup holder is terrible. On the first day, I drove of the dealer parking lot with a half full bottle of fresh water in the center console cup holder. At the first stop light, I didn't get use to the brake feel of the car and I pressed a little hard on the brake and there it is, I experienced the first spill. The bottle jumped off the cup holder and water is all over the place. Next few days, I put the cap on the bottle to make sure that there is no more spill. A hard braking a again, this time I won't have any spill but the whole bottle flew off and it hit the navigation system screen and luckily there is no damage. I don't know where to put my drink any more.

2) There is no door jar warning light. It's kind of embarrassment when I drove my friend around with the back door didn't close completely. Is this BB design fault?

3) The force requires to activate the garage door opener is too much. After hitting it a few times. I have to readjust the rear view mirror again.

4) The infrared part of the remote key doesn't work as I expect it. It requires to aim at the infrared port and not very far away.

5) There is no off switch for the climate control. Must hit the fan switch a few time to shut it off.

6) The power window and door lock should be on the door instead on the center console. Especially when I try to operate the passenger side with my drink at the middle.

7) The dose system is not as good as the one on Nissan Maxima and it's just a lousy one comparing to Mark Levinson system on the nexus LS430.

After all, it is a wonderful car, distinctive style, solid build, excellent gas mileages. I like it.
  • jason64jason64 Member Posts: 50
    This is my experience with my 01 E320:

1. I usually use a smaller bottle which fits very nicely in the lower holder. Since I don't "lead-foot" the brakes, I haven't had any problems at all.
    2. It does take quite a force to close the doors, especially when all the doors and sunroof is closed. I believe it's the result of the air tight cabin design.
    3. It's all in the fingers.
    4. You should be able to point the key towards any part of the car and activate the doors. I usually do it when I am getting near my car around 20 feet or so. Some people claim it should work up to 50 feet; not sure why you would need that kind of range?
    5. Try the "EC" (economy mode) button.
    6 & 7. Agreed.
    Overall, it is a very solidly built car with loads of safety features.
  • mbdrivermbdriver Member Posts: 426
    A few comments on your post about your new E320.

First, when using the button for the garage door opener, just grasp the rear view mirror with your fingers on top and your thumb underneath, on the garage door button, and SQUEEZE. Presto! The door opens and the mirror stays in place. True confession -- it took me about a week of ownership of my E320 to learn this!

The climate control fan doesn't require repeated, separate "hits" -- just press and hold the left side until it quits.

The window switches on the center console is a Mercedes "normal" that supposedly prevents water from getting into door-mounted window switches when the doors are opened when it's raining. In my wife's 1977 300D the switches are also mounted on the center console. You'll soon get used to it. Rumor has it that the 2003 model will have the switches moved to the door.

Do you have the upgraded Bose system? I'm probably suffering from a partial hearing loss, but I'm perfectly happy with the upgraded Bose in my 320. I've heard the same complaint before, but as they say, to each his own.

Bottom line -- no car is perfect, but the E-Class sure comes close!
  • w210w210 Member Posts: 188
    It's nice to have the window switches on the center console to give the front passenger immediate access to closing and opening all windows, a safety feature in my opinion.

I seldom find a need to turn off the climate control.

If you program your interior lights to come on when doors are opened, it'll be quite obvious if doors are not closed properly.

Use the right button on the rear view mirror as you follow mbdriver's instructions above, this way, you can hold on to the top of the mirror as you press it without easily knocking it out of place.
    How do you know that you have an upgraded Bose system?

Thanks for the garage door opener tip.

Sometime in the day light, you may not pay attention to the interior light. I still think that MB should have a warning light to warn the driver if there is any door didn't close properly before driving off.

By the way, my car started to develop some kind of clicking sound when I drove over the rough road. It's on the back seat. I checked it out and there is nothing obvious that it causes the noise. Does any body know what may cause it? The sound likes a hitting metal, not a quirky sound of the leather seat.
  • john319john319 Member Posts: 37
    It could be one of the rear headrest making noise. Mine had that problem and dealer took care of it. From what I know, the cheap MB radio comes with the car. If you have a Bose, then you have upgraded already. I don't believe the cheap radio is Bose to begin with. Never had problems with cupholders holding tonic cans and spring water bottles. Agreed that this Bose is nothing compared to the Nakamichi found in Lexus not even to mention Mark Levinson.
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    It's not a rumour any longer. The window switches for the '03 model will be on the door. Here's the actual picture of the interior:

http://mbspy.bacosys.be/w211/w211interiorams2001760.jpg

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
    I read in the 2001 E320 brochure. It said that when you put the car in the reverse gear the driver side exterior rear view mirror would tilt down so you can see what is behind the car. But, I don't see it doing that on my car. Does any body notice that?
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    In the MB's I've driven, I thought the passenger side mirror tilted down for parking, not the driver's side.

Just a reminder that the MB chat is on tonight (6-7pm Pacific/9-10 pm Eastern). Hope to see you there!

http://www.edmunds.com/chat/mercedeschat.html

• wnielwniel Member Posts: 97
    The passenger rear view mirror does tilt down when the car is put into reverse, however, the right side button must be pushed down next to the the little joy stick controlling the mirror in order for it to operate.
    I hope that this helps.
    Wally
    Last night, I tried to put a little grease into the rear headrest joins and the noise went away. Thanks.

Yes, the passenger rear mirror does work as you said. Thanks.
  • chipper12chipper12 Member Posts: 6
    Presently waiting for the computer to indicate an oil change is needed. Understand this will be at approx 10,000 miles depending on the computer's reading of the oil quality etc. Curious if most of you follow the BB recommendation in this area. Dealer will provide oil & filter for $55.00. It's not the money involved since I have always changed oil at no more then 5,000 miles. Recommendations Thanks
  • fred132fred132 Member Posts: 22
    I had mine changed at Jiffy-Lube at 5k miles. I just don't think it makes sense to wait for 10k miles (or whatever).
    If your dealer is conveniently located and will change it for $55 I'd let them do it.
  • sweetv12sweetv12 Member Posts: 58
    WIth the incentives on the '01s bringing the price of the e430 Sport down to the mid-50s, whats a fair price for an '00 with 19K miles? It comes with the COMAND system, E3 Sport Package, Heated and Multicontour Front Seats. I was thinking low 40s...

BTW, Carsdirect has the 01 e430 Spt listed for about $2200 below invoice ($58K fully loaded)...run a search with an LA zipcode...
  • livetodrivelivetodrive Member Posts: 104
    Mercedes now recommends only synthetic motor oils for vehicles with the FSS system.

Before you change your oil or have it done, read post 968 for the list of approved motor oils.
  • jean7of9jean7of9 Member Posts: 192
    Re your post 2124. I could not connect to the link using different browsers or ISP's. Am I the only one? Can you please check the link again or its IP address. Thanks you.
    Jean
    Drew, I did some research. the old MB Enthusiast's Site is now called MBSPY (as you may know)but it is down for a reason. One of the MBSPY IP's is 206.71.96.3. Once you ping this IP you will notice the site is down.
    Jean
  • jojmjojm Member Posts: 2
    I just picked up a 2001 E430 black/java with sunroof (not the e2 option), trunk cd changer and goodyear f1's for $49,000.

It's a good price and I'm happy!

--joe
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    Sounds like a great price - how does that compare to invoice and msrp? I assume its's a brand new car, not a dealer demo? What part of the country?

Thanks.
  • jojmjojm Member Posts: 2
    I'm in Florida (no heated seats needed here!)

It's a new 2001 E430, Black/Java, 60 miles on the odometer, not a demo. It is equipped with a sunroof - option 414.

The MSRP, without cd changer, was $55,005. On www.carsdirect.com it shows the invoice price as $51,300.

The new, benz, in-the-trunk cd changer was added as a clincher.

Price: $49,000.

--joe
  • valueguyvalueguy Member Posts: 208
    I recently had my '00 E430 in for service due to the ESP light and ABS light staying on all the time. The dealer fixed the problem by replacing the switch.

However, the car behaves differently in the rain now. Before, the dash would indicate the system was working when my rear wheels lacked traction during hard acceleration in the rain. Now, the tires seems to slip a little with no indication the ESP is working at all.

Does anyone know what my ESP should be doing in the rain and if the dash light should come on? Is my system functioning normally now as opposed to before? Any input would be appreciated.
    ESP kicks in only when the car (or any wheel) skids sideways basically on slippery roads during harsh turns and/or high speed understeer/oversteer. Traction Control (TRC) prevents your wheels from losing traction on wet pavement or hard start ups, and not ESP, hence if your tires have a good grip then TRC may not kick in. I tested ESP on frozen lakes (which are hard to find in Florida), but you still can test it at an empty wet parking lot under or after a storm. Try to skid the car a bit in any direction, when ESP kicks in you will feel regaining total control of the car with the engine throttle cut off electronically until the car is stabilized to the direction of the front wheels, also the warning light comes on to confirm ESP is working. Good luck and pleased keep us informed.
    Jean
    Is the MBspy website working for you again? It was down for a bit while some maintenance was done on it, which is probably why you couldn't get access to it.

Drew
    Host
    The instrument display on my pre-owned '98 E320 shows blank where the OAT digital readout should be. It turns out that the OAT sensor in the front bumper is missing. I opened the left fog light access door and there I found a dangling wire with electrician's tape on the end.

Does anyone know what would be involved with installing a new OAT sensor, hooking it up, and getting it to display correctly. I'm told that someone must have fiddled around to eliminate an error code after the sensor was removed.

The car is still under warranty with only 15,000 miles.

Thanks.
  • mbdrivermbdriver Member Posts: 426
    Thanks for posting the photo of the new E-Class interior. Can you tell us if that's actually a leather "boot" under the gear shift knob? It appears that the car has an automatic transmission, but I can't be certain.
    Yes, it's a boot it seems. The C-class with the auto transmission has the same thing, even though the traditional gate is still present. I think that MB finally relented and added a leather boot after years of complaints from people spilling drinks into the shift gate. Tsk tsk... ;-)

Drew
    Host
  • rowlandjrowlandj Member Posts: 254
    I wonder if anyone here can point me to some "how-to's" on convertible top maintenance. I am getting a CLK cabrio and I want to keep it looking its best for the long-haul.

Thanks for any help,

JR
    IIRC, your owner's manual should have all you need to know about the top maintainance. However, the BMW Z3 owner's club has some good tips here too:

http://www.mz3.net/articles/048.html

A good question to ask one of the CLK cabrio owners in the MB chat, BTW.

Drew
    Host
  • rowlandjrowlandj Member Posts: 254
    I hope to make the chat this week and I will chime in then again.

"See" you then.
    Thanks for the info. I am not as lucky as mbdriver, I still cannot connect to any mbspy page. Will keep watching it and let you know. By the way I have met today few MB execs at Tennis Canada. The 02 models are already in but the 02 brochures are not available yet.
    Jean
  • mjsjasmjsjas Member Posts: 3
    I have a 97 E320 that recently developed a darkened display where the clock lcd sits to the right of the center total mileage display. I can see the clock lcd it is just dark. Any clues to what has happened and what it might take to fix it?
    There is a bulb behind the LCD display, and it has probably blown out. All you need to do is have it replaced, and it should be as good as new.

Good luck!
    It is odd that you cannot connect to the MBspy website. Have you complained to your internet service provider's tech support? There may be a problem with the uplink somewhere. You may want to try entering the URL of the website through http://www.anonymizer.com . It should work there.

Let me know what happens :-)

Drew
    Host

This discussion has been closed.