Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedans

Comments

• wnielwniel Member Posts: 97
    If you want more air to the back, close the air vent in the lower compartment between the front seats. This robs the back of a considerable amount of air.
    I hope that this helps.
    Wally
  • landinggearlandinggear Member Posts: 22
    Can anyone recommend a magazine that focuses on Mercedes Benz? I am a 2001 E-320 owner.
  • waltowalto Member Posts: 34
    With about 8,000 miles on my 2000 E320, I recently installed Bilstein HD ("Heavy Duty") shocks at all four wheels. I thought others might be interested in my experience.

Shortly after I got the car I changed to 17" AMG wheels and the 235-45-17 Yokhama AVS-dB. The wheels and tires eliminated most of my earlier complaints with the car (poor high speed stability, inadequate cornering power, tire noise). But I was still not quite satisfied with the handling. The car simply did not have the rock-steady stability and on-rails tracking of my previous three or four MB's. The car was a bit twitchy in cross winds and transient maneuvers, though a decent handler. To my surprise, I could bottom the front suspension on vertical transients (like speed bumps), which no previous MB had done. I also noticed a lot of sensitivity to tire pressures (they could get harsh at even a pound or two over my regular 31/33 pressures), and too much busyness at the wheels. On bad surfaces, the ride could suddenly become quite harsh because of the relatively poor wheel control. All-in-all, quite good, but certainly not the best and not up to previous MB standards.

I removed the original "comfort setting" Sachs shocks (OEM shocks are Sachs, Boge, or Bilstein) and replaced them with the Bilstein HD (B36-2154 for the front, B36-2155 rear). The difference is quite remarkable, much more significant than the wheel/tire change. While the ride is perceptibly firmly and can be *slightly* choppy over rough or undulating surfaces, I think it is actually more comfortable on the whole. There is much less pitching and rolling of the body, and much less busyness, slapping, and harshness at the wheels. And--best of all--the handling, steering precision, and stability are in a different class. On the road, this car finally feels like a Mercedes to me. The chassis has an uncanny precision to it, and this is especially noticable because of the extremely rigid structure (which is much better than previous MB's).

I wish I'd done this change before all my tire and wheel experiments, because I think it might have solved most of the problems more easily and cheaply (though the larger wheels and tires are a significant advantage and I'd probably have done them next). It's difficult for me to understand the trade-off MB chose to make in the original shock settings. While the original settings provide a softer ride, this is only true on smooth surfaces. On rougher surfaces the ride is much worse.

The shocks list for $143, but they are widely available at around $100. I paid about $300 at the MB dealer for installation. To me this seems like a bargain for the magnitude of improvement.
  • tendonstendons Member Posts: 43
    are the hd bilsteins the ones used on the E55?
    I'm not sure, but I suspect the E-55 uses a firmer setting of the Bilstein shocks, the "sport" setting. I think this is unnecessarily stiff for the 320.
  • donald02donald02 Member Posts: 54
    The rear vent is on the same vent as the center dash vent. Close the dash vent and close the vent in the center compartment and you will get a large volume of air out of the rear vent.
  • jackb3jackb3 Member Posts: 3
    Is the cost of MB Extended Warranty negotiable ? Anybody know of a recent cost ?
    Is it worthwhile ?
  • cce182cce182 Member Posts: 40
    Is the cost of MB Extended Warranty negotiable ?

Check earlier posts on this board. Someone in CA is selling it for less.

Anybody know of a recent cost ?

Depends on duration/mileage of coverage you want.
    You can get this at your M-B dealer.

Is it worthwhile ?

It depends. I did not get it because most of the electronic bells and whistles (e.g. COMAND, Phone, CD Player, Radio etc. etc are not covered at ANY price!) You need to ask your dealer what is NOT covered. The inclusive lists are cute, but the limitations are far more important. It is NOT the same warranty as the first 4 years.

So:

1. How long are you going to keep the car?
    2. Do you have a whole bunch of uncovered goodies in the car?

I opted out of this (2000 E430 4-matic, E1, E2, K2a, COMAND) because the stuff in the car that has been regularly crapping out is NOT covered by the extended warranty. My strategy is going to be to replace the car just before the 4year original warranty expires.
  • chappye430wchappye430w Member Posts: 3
    I am considering putting E55 AMG wheels and tires on my 2001 E430 4Matic. The sizes are: 245/40/18 X 8" for the front and 275/35/18 X 9" on the rear. Does anyone see a problem with this?
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372

Just a reminder that the MB chat is on tonight (6-7pm Pacific/9-10 pm Eastern). Hope to see you there!

http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/chat/mercedeschat.html

PF Flyer

Host

Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

• crobert2crobert2 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 E320 and approaching 14,000 miles. Any ideas on when to balance, rotate and align. At a low speed, I can hear/feel small thud from the front of the car when moving. It more pronounced at low speed and decreases at higher speed. Since this is not covered under the service plan, when is it recommended that this services be performed?

This car is 16 months old and there is little wear on the continentals but trying to anticipate the service
  • sshowittsshowitt Member Posts: 137
    Lisa Lierman @ Courtesy M/B in Chico,Ca has the MB warranties at a discount. She is a pleasure to do business with. Her # is 530-345-9444 or 800-655-3535. Tell her you saw this on the list serve
    Looking to find a deal on either a new 2001 E430 or E320 with navagation. I do know that MB has incentives out there right now. Looking to buy either in the SE New England area, metro NY to Maryland or the Ft Laudadale/Palm Beach area. If anyone has any information, please contact me at: modntractr@aol.com
    Thanks Steven
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    I'll ask around, may know some people who have a handle on prices. CarDeals shows $2000 dealer cash, but it may "vary by region". Availability is probably an issue also.
  • raychinluraychinlu Member Posts: 2
    I recently purchase 2001 E320 at Fletcher Jones.They are asking $1000 to install a CD changer. I believe the price tag is too high. Anyone has suggestion?

Talking about TeleAid I am glad I have it. One Sunday afternoon my E320 developed rattling noise while I was 80 miles away from home. With the TeleAid I was able to get a mechanic to check it and advice me that it was Okay to drive home and took the dealership the next day.

By the way, I had bad experience with my E320 and
    the service. The first stop at Fletcher Jones did not fix the intermittent rough idle and engine hesitation problem because they could not reproduce it. The second stop at dealership for the rattling noise, they replace the exhaust pipe and fuel injector control unit per MB bulletin board warning. If not for the rattling noise I would not bring the car to the dealer again and would continue to suffer the intermittent engine problem.

Worst off, my new car (400 miles at that time)was read-ended at the first stop at dealer. It took 1 week for them to repaint the rear bumper. They are 3 scratches at second stop at dealer. Fortunately, they were able to rub it off with cloth and cleaning cream.
  • htohto Member Posts: 21
    I got the CD changer for $800, including installation when I purchase my 2001 E320.

I had the same experience with the intermittent rough idle on my 2001 E320. But, it seemed to be at the acceptable level for now. Hope that it would not get worse over time. My wife's Lexus LS430 still run smoothly after 10K miles, I couldn't feel a tiny vibration at idle.
  • mbman1mbman1 Member Posts: 35
    I own a 2000 E320 with no idle problem whatsoever. This car should be as smooth, or very close to it, as an LS430. Take the car to another dealer and demand it be fixed properly. If it is not talk to the service manager and go from there all the way to Mercedes Benz of North America, I'm serious. There is no reason why either of you should have to deal with these types of problems. I have found that you need to be very tough when it comes to Mercedes dealers, I go to Santa Monica,don't back down and get your cars fixed properly.

If necessary take the manager out with you and show him the problem, these engines are not prone to rough idle and it is probably a quick fix.
  • raychinluraychinlu Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the suggestion. The problem is intermittent that it will be very difficult for me to reproduce it at the dealership. Scratches from both visits at the dealership (one required repaint of the rear bumper) make me feel uneasy of visiting them, unless it is absolutely necessary. I like the car, just wishing better luck. BTW, I wrote to MB Customer Assistance and will post the response, if at all, a couple weeks later.

I read the earlier messages of the lack of lumbar support and stuffing a book to the driver seat. Anyone know how to do it in detail? I mean, how to dis-assemble the driver seat.
  • mbjeffmbjeff Member Posts: 1
    I just put a Becker changer in my 2001 E320 Wagon for about $430 from Continental Imports. The electrical/optical connections took a 15 minutes of looking at things and building up courage, and about 5 minutes of work! It works just fine and sounds great. The only problem is mounting, especially on a Wagon - currently its held in place by two pieces of foam wedged in the sides. I'm looking for better foam now!

Here's the (edited) note I got from the dealer:

The Becker Silverstone CD-6 D2B (2662) is the unit that will work in your vehicle. In about 80-85% of the installations, you will not need any reprogramming of the OEM radio for the 2662 to work. However, every once in awhile, Mercedes send a car over that is programmed for phone only or phone and CD. When this happens, the radio will not recognize the CD changer by itself. Most Dealerships will reprogram the radio for you, to the CD only setting, for free or a small fee. There are a few Dealers that will not touch the radio because you have something other than OEM connected.

The 2662 is currently running $410.76 plus shipping and handling. UPS ground shipping would run $9.11 and handling would be $5.00. I would also recommend the optional Becker mounting bracket set for $13.00. It will help mount the unit in the factory location.

Continental Imports

1219 S. Main St.

Gainesville, FL 32601

(352) 377-6604 fax (352) 377-2218

http://www.continentalimports.com
    How's good the Becker CD changer? My OEM one seemed to skip the music more often than I expected. I talked to the dealer and they said that it is normal to skip when I go over a bump. But comparing to my previous car, which has an in-dash single CD. It was almost never skipped on the same route that I have driven for years, every day. Beside Backer, is there any other good after-market CD changers would replace the OEM?
    Try to determine any patterns for the idle problem. When does it happen, where, how often, etc. I suggest you never take your car back to that dealer, it may be a little inconvenient, but find a different dealer.

Can't help with the seat, you may want to visit a local body shop and ask some questions, but I can suggest you look into buying a third party seat such as Recaro, you'll be able to find exactly what your looking for. F.Y.I. I have driven both the new C and S classes, there seats are about 100 times more comfy than mine, and I think mine are comfortable, so hopefully the new E will follow suit.

Also, if you have purchased this car and not leased, I would highly recommend buying the extended warranty if you plan on keeping it beyond its original warranty. You can buy the warranty within the first year of ownership.
    The becker 2662 works great. One note of caution, if the head unit is a Becker (radio code starts with BE) everthing will work great, if the head unit is an Alpine (radio code starts with AL), the ramdem option on the head unit will not work with the 2662, other than that, it will work fine.
  • jparrottjparrott Member Posts: 15
    You are asking how to remove the back of the seat to insert some lumbar support into the springs... Run the seat forward and tilt the backrest forward. Sit in the back seat, grasp the seatback molding at both top corners and just yank it back. It pops right off from the top. Somehow it is hinged at the bottom and that part stays connected.

You'll see two short tabs on the top of the seat back once it comes away. Push those down and in first and the seat back pops right back into place. It's real easy to do. It doesn't loosen or damage anything. You'll see once you do it.

I took a pair of vise grips and detached two springs to relieve some of the pressure so I could get something in front of the support wires for lumbar support. From there you can use your own ingenuity for what to use. I ended up taking the book out and putting some cloth strips inside a large stiff envelope. That way I could keep a sort of hollow vertical center for my backbone.

It helped quite a bit, but I still can't believe the seats in this thing. They are so hard and uncomfortable it has destroyed any fondness for what is otherwise a well made car, and, in my estimation, the most visually beautiful car on the road. I'm open to suggestions about what to replace it with--Lexus, BMW...

Incidentally, if you know of anyone who wants a like new brilliant silver '98 E320 with only 16,000 miles, warranty until 9/02... (In Falls Church, VA)
  • kevinc5kevinc5 Member Posts: 204
    My 2000 E320 has been flawless for 18 months and 30,000 miles but it has developed a problem I haven't seen others refer to on the forum. The recessed rectangular border in the dash outlining the passenger side airbag is acting the same as a crack control joint in a concrete slab...the dash is splitting at the joint...
    I'm assuming they can replace that section of the dash without major surgery...but I'm glad it is still under warranty. But I have a real problem with a cracking dash on an 18 month old $50,000 car...
  • ammclamammclam Member Posts: 3
    The value for wheel lug torque is 80 ft-lbs or 110 NM.

Regarding engine check light on my 97 E320, before I could take it to the dealer; engine check light turns itself off. I think this is just another nuisance indication on this year model. The car runs fine.

Someone in this forum asking about not being able to program the homelink for garage door opener. Mercedes service told me that starting the 97 model does not have the technology to program the homelink system for garage door opener with the rolling code technology.

I am just curious whether anyone was able to procure a shop repair CD rom and you would recommend it.

Thanks in advance.

Albert
  • valueguyvalueguy Member Posts: 208
    I agree the seats should provide more support.
    I have had back surgery- a lumbar diskectomy.
    So, I ordered the Multicontour seats on my '00E430 and I am satisfied with them.
    Perhaps you can custom order a new driver's seat.
    This "option" is equivalent to the standard BMW seat. My preference is for the BMW "Comfort" seat as it provides the most amount of lumbar support.

My dealer has a great service department. Under the factory or extended warranty they will pretty much replace or fix anything I ask them to.
    I purchased the extended warranty because all major items are covered. Sure, my radio, phone and CD changer may not be covered but everything else
    looks like it is. Also, with M-B extended warranty dealer is willing to "work with me" on these items as well!
  • mbdrivermbdriver Member Posts: 426
    jparrott -- I have to disagree regarding the MB seats. Maybe I have a well-padded butt and therefore don't find the seats that hard (they're made that way on purpose!) or uncomfortable. But if the seats are the only thing major that you find objectionable on a MB, why not take the advice of mbman1 or valueguy and install Recaros or MB Multicontour seats? And why replace a well made car that you find "the most visually beautiful car on the road"? Especially one still under warranty and with only 16,000 miles? Maybe I'm missing something here!

Regarding the cd changer, I'll repeat my experience with my 2000 E320. A few months after I took delivery, I asked my salesman if I still had any leverage on adding accessories, specifically a CD changer. Five minutes later he quoted an installed price of $617.00! I'd ask about price at several dealerships with the hint that you may find a new source for your next MB. BTW, I've only heard my CD skip one time. Don't know if that's because it's a MB product or not.
  • merckxmerckx Member Posts: 565
    In many other areas other companies have learned to offer meaningful competition,but I would say that the Mercedes seat is about the best you can find,bar none.
    That hardness some find hard to warm to is why you see so many Mercedes with 125,000 on the clock with immaculate seats.They also give exceptional comfort on long drives(although I also love them to go down to Starbucks).
  • w210w210 Member Posts: 188
    Perfectly happy with the multi-contour seats, they don't rock like Saab and Volvo seats upon hard acceleration.

No problem programming the rolling code garage door opener to the Homelink at the rear view mirror.
  • livetodrivelivetodrive Member Posts: 104
    I also had no problems programming three generations of garage door openers, including one new rolling code unit on my 2001 E-430.
  • valueguyvalueguy Member Posts: 208
    The multicontour seats on my 18 month old '00 Silver E430 Sport (E,E2,E3 and K2a) look like new.
    The leather is holding up extremely well for a hot Florida climate. Most of my friends' Bimmers seats look like crap after 2-3 years, but they are beautiful at first. If I was leasing the car then I would want BMW leather rather than the Mercedes product.

I checked my car's MSRP today on the MBUSA site. The MSRP is up over $2000 from '00 price. My guess is that M-B wants to raise the price now so when the 2003 shows up they do not have to increase the price much. Also, the 2002 will have discounts equal or greater than $2,000.

I had my car detailed today in my garage. Here are the products I had used. I supplied the products and someone else supplied 3.5 hours of labor.

Wash- Used wax-free, spot-free car wash (Zymol cleaner or equivalent)

Wax- Zymol from WalMart. Great stuff, #1 rated Consumer Reports wax. #2 Internet rated product behind Zaino. If I had a Black M-B would have used Zaino. M-B recommends Carnauba based wax.

Polish- Maguiar's car polish for Sport rims. Nu-Finish would work also.

Leather care- Lexol cleaner and conditioner. I like the Lexol products.

Dash- I used the M-B product "Pinnacle" dash protectant. This stuff is extremely low luster and better than Armor-All. The product is barely noticeable as far as lustre but really protects the dash. On the wood trim lemon-scented plede was used.

Windows- Windex but Dirtex cleaner available for the toughest grime (not used today).

Tires- Wet look tire protectant.

My car looks like new.
    A post above cites the things not covered under the "premium" extended warranty: the radio, CD player, Comand, and telephone. But 98% of the electronic items in this car have nothing to do with these "entertainment" items. Most of the electronics *are* covered, including the engine and transmission controls, ETS, ABS, ESP, and the alarm and ignition system. In addition, *all* instances of the following items are covered: electric motors (70-79 depending on options!), wiring harnesses and connectors (including those for the radio, Comand, telephone, etc.), sensors, switches, fuses, relays, control modules, instruments, rheostats, potentiometers, alternator, voltage regulator, diodes, buzzers, actuators, timers, electro-mechanical valves, and solenoids. The entire climate control system is covered, as are the window regulators, sunroof mechanism, window wipers (no free blades though), A/C compressor and system, seat belts, and central locking system.

If you're really going to keep this car for eight years, I can't believe that a $1,700 payment up front won't save you some money. The instrument cluster alone costs that much. For Pete's sake, even the towing charge to replace covered items is covered under the extended warranty. This could just be the deal of the century. Think about this before you let your one year window of opportunity expire. This is a very complicated car.
    When I test drive the MB, BMW, Lexus and Infinity. I like the MB seat, it is perfect for me. It's harder than the others but some how I felt good, especially for the long drive. The Lexus LS430 seat is comfortable at first but for the long drive, it's hurt my back.
    mbdriver, your CD changer is OEM or after-market one?
    It's kind of surprise to hear this. I would never think that a $50K car would do that. It may be a defected one but I though that it would never happen on a modern car.
  • loubapacheloubapache Member Posts: 30
    LOL. I looked at mine and there was three 1/4" splitting around the same area you mentioned. Thanks, MB, for cost-cutting.

My 12 (just sold) and 11 year old 300E (W124) still has perfect, like new dashes.

Now the W210 are 5 or 6 years old, I wonder how long they will last. It does not seem they'll last as long as the W126, W124, and W140.

Bo
  • mbdrivermbdriver Member Posts: 426
    My CD changer is pure MB OEM. Haven't had a single problem with it. I also have COMAND and initially intended to use its in-dash convenience to play CDs. However, I used COMAND so frequently I opted to add the CD changer. Hope this helps.
  • ammclamammclam Member Posts: 3
    There should not be any programming problem with the rolling code system for any model from 98 and newer. Mine is 97 and the homelink button is on the sunvisor. Homelink on the rearview mirror started in 99 model and up.

Thanks for the feedback.

Albert
  • bargamonbargamon Member Posts: 302
    I got OEM at GAPA.com. Paid right at $600 includes shipping and a mounting box that is carpeted and holds the unit in place very nice. Instalation took 30 minutes. A friend did the same and I installed it in 5 min having the experience of doing it before.

Seats: Personal choice. Certainly if you have vertebrate problems one cannot say the seats are no good. Only they don't work for you. I love the seats, but I don't need any special support.

11k miles on o1' 430 and love this car. No problems. Finally got to be a passanger in back seat for first time. Nice seats and very quiet.
  • sequoiasaurussequoiasaurus Member Posts: 240
    I've posted just about all the photos of the new 03 E classs that I could find.

I did not take these photos myself.

If you have some or know of others please post a message in the guest book.

I'm trying to make a central location for all the pictures on the web.

Link:

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1141116&a=13705344&f=0

On your sight, there is a black E-class with rear lights borrowed from a c-class, there is also a Silver car with a totally different rear light arrangement. What gives?
  • sequoiasaurussequoiasaurus Member Posts: 240
    I'm going to update the descriptions later.

The black one is taken in NY during the filming of Men in Black 2. These are the pictures that have upset MB b/c they were "leaked too early". Which is why some people are speculating that MB might officially unviel the E in Detroit in Jan 2002. We'll have to wait and see.

The others (Silver & Maroon) I can't be sure of. I believe they are computer enhancements.

Of course the interiors are real too.
  • tbrown_4tbrown_4 Member Posts: 27
    Thanks for the pictures. They were great! Be careful about storing copyrighted pictures on photopoint though. They frown on that and it is also in the agreement.
  • markobodormarkobodor Member Posts: 17
    Does anyone know out there whether the wagon versions of the E series usually come out the same year as the sedans? (They did in the C series this year.)
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    It is my understanding that the redesigned E-class wagon will lag the new sedans by about 6-12 months. That was the case with the current E-class wagon/sedans.

I am contemplating a 2002 model wagon purchase later this year or early next, assuming they continue with a $2,000 +/- factory incentive. Of the dealers I have spoken with, they are 50/50 as to whether there will even be a model year 2003 wagon; some suggesting it may not come out until early/mid 2003 as a 2004 model.
  • mbnut1mbnut1 Member Posts: 403
    The silver car is an obvious fake. Compare the tail lights to the real cars.
  • varigvarig Member Posts: 99
    A few months ago, someone posted a message that their dealer told them that they should expect the same incentives on the 2002 as was then available on the 2001. Has anyone else heard or been offered something similar. I had been looking at an E320 4Matic, but was undecided between it or an ML320. I wanted to see what changes they had made to the 2002 ML. I don't really have the luxury of waiting for the 2003 E so it will be between the E and the ML. Anyone have any comments regarding these 2 models.
    Thanks in advance.
    The E320 is a quality car, the only problem with it is that its fit and finish is not up to the standards of the rest of the industry because the design is about 5 years old. Uneven body panel gaps, interior materials and seat comfort all will be improved with the new model. Don't get me wrong, the E is a great car, I have a 2000 with 22,000 miles & my dad has a 99 with 37,000 miles, neither of us have had any problems. If you buy one, inspect it very closely and if you see any flaws request a new one.

The 2002 ML will have a freshened up exterior as well as a more "mercedes like" interior. I've heard the early ML's were prone to problems but they may have addressed them in this freshening up.

I.M.O the E is the better choice for the long term.

By the way, here in Los Angeles dealers have more E-classes than they know what to do with, so they are definately willing to deal, especially since the car is at the end of its production cycle.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    You really can't go wrong...it's one of the world's great cars. Remember the M-class is a "'bama Benz" and overall isn't up to M-B standards.
  • sduff1sduff1 Member Posts: 11
    I just traded my 98 E320 for a 2002 E320. I hear alot of air noise. Could it be that new little antenna on top? Also, my neighbor traded her 98E420 for a 2001 and she hears the same thing. What could it be???
This discussion has been closed.