Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedans

Comments

• mbdrivermbdriver Posts: 426
    I also have a 2000 E320 and use the downshift feature regularly. Occasionally I've experienced a slight delay when downshifting from 3 to 2, but nothing major. Perhaps it's the sensors determining if the engine speed is too high before "authorizing" the downshift. But I've never experienced a situation where I downshifted from 3rd and it did not "take." BTW, I sort of "slap" or move the gearshift knob to the left with gusto when downshifting, and I've learned to count how many time I move it, to avoid a sudden lurch when I inadvertently go all the way down to 1st gear.

Hope this helps.
  • Thanks for the information. It's interesting that apparently if you don't use autologin, you must re-login EACH TIME you want to view a profile.
    Anyway, at least now I know what's going on.
  • 2ndmb2ndmb Posts: 72
    Has anyone tried the K&N air filter on their E. If so, could you determine if the performance or gas mileage improved.
    Thanks
  • varigvarig Posts: 99
    I was given a great website to visit.
    www.mbspy.bacosys.be
  • If you read through previous posts you will find that the K&N filters are not recommended due to the larger particles that pass through as compared to the MB filters.
  • jfz219jfz219 Posts: 63
    I have seen several discussions on handling upgrades. My MY 2000 E320 has the MXV4s. The ride is smooth and quiet, acceptable in rain, and poor in snow. Because the car is leased, I have not made any modifications to the car.

My biggest disappointment in the handling was the effects of strong cross winds at highway speeds. I find that I have solved most of the problem by experimenting with tire pressures. I have found the best compromise in ride and handling with 32psi in the front and 34psi for the rear.
  • Does anyone know if the seats will be changed on the new 2003 E class?

I think most of us agree that the current seats are OK at best.

The best seat I have I have tried in a new car is the Volvo S-80. I have a 2001 E320 and I love the car but I have had better seats in past Mercedes. Any thoughts?
    fishxprt - A friend of mine recently intended to buy a 2002 E320. He's about 6' 3" or 6" 4" tall and 215 lbs., and he spent almost an hour in the driver's seat trying to get comfortable. That was the day he returned to the dealer and intended to complete the purchase. But he really disliked the seats -- so much that the following day he bought a BMW 530i. He's perfectly happy now.

I love my E320 and have no complaints about the seats. But I'm 5' 10" and 175 lbs. My wife is 5' 3' and 110 lbs., and she, too, likes the seats. Maybe it's a function of size and weight. I know that people report that MB seats are harder than most, but owners also say they arrive refreshed after long drives in a Mercedes.
  • bigrobnhbigrobnh Posts: 114
    I'm a tad heavier than mbdriver but I have no issues whatsoever with the comfort of my seats. Other than no lumbar control they are, essentially, infinitely adjustable. They aren't exactly like a pillow-top cushion but they aren't too firm for me either. Part of the secret may be finding the correct seat angle, seat back, head rest position, etc parameters for you.

The active ventilated seats were great this summer. Now that winter is closing in the heated leather is awesome as well.

Enjoy,
    BigRob.
  • It seems the seats are fine for small folks. My wife and I are both 5'5". We have a '98 and an '01 E320. The seats on the 01 are higher and more comfortable than on the '98.
  • microrepairmicrorepair Eastern MassachusettsPosts: 508
    When I bought my 96E (2 years old) I also complained to the salesman about the seats and the lack of good lumbar support. He stated that his experience was that most owners thought the seats were comfortable on long trips. I'm not small (6'3" and 250) but I have to admit that although I would prefer to be able to increase the lumbar support a little, the seats are actually very comfortable for me. And I've taken a couple of long trips (2500, 3500, and 5300 miles) in it and find that I'm not tired at the end of a 550 mile day.

The most supportive and comfortable seats I've come across were in a 1988 MX-6 Mazda I owned that were not power but had 8 different adjustments. Took a 3000 mile trip in 7 days with stretches of 4 hours at a time without a break and never felt the least bit tired. Those seats were relatively firm also like in the E. My wife says they were HARD..! I've also owned cars with soft seats and found them to be tiring and to create aches..
  • valueguyvalueguy Posts: 208
    I have a '00E430 and I just realized my battery is under the rear seat. How long is the battery life? Should I replace my battery after so many years just in case? After all, getting a boost does not seem very easy on this car. Also, where exactly is the battery located and how do I access it? Thanks.
  • The owner's manual shows how to get to the battery. Also, on the '02s there are terminals under the hood for jump starting your car or another car. I assume the '00 would be the same.
    valueguy - I have a 2000 E320 and discovered the same. But the owner's manual says there are + and - "posts" under the hood for jump starts, so there's no need to access the battery. The positive post is clearly marked, and all you need for the negative is another metal surface (I think).

However, a mechanic friend advised not to fool with trying a jump start another carb because of all the computer systems associated with the 2000 MB and the possibility of inadvertently "frying" them. If you ever need a jump, the smart thing is to call Mercedes-Benz Roadside Assistance, available for zip for the life of any MB automobile.

One last point -- your warranty is good for four years/50,000 miles, and I'd be surprised if the battery isn't included. Don't replace a battery based on timing. Personally, I don't plan on ever looking at my own battery.

Hope this helps.
    I read the owner's manual and appreciate MB driver's input. Does anyone have any personal experience with a dead battery on their M-B?
    How long can I expect the battery to last?
    In my opinion, a "scheduled" battery change at 4 years is a lot better than an unplanned, emergent one especially in this car.
  • cce182cce182 Posts: 40
    My 2000 E430W4 has the dedicated battery "plus" lug under the hood, and also has a dedicated "minus" lug on the top of the left fender just in front of the air seal between the front and rear of the engine compartment. I suspect the design of M-B's have had this for a long time on any car with the battery not in the engine compartment. My old '79 Audi 5000 had the battery in the same place. It looks like a teutonic idea!

I'm surprised that more of you haven't read the owners manual on this subject. Nighttime, under the hood, in a blizzard, seems sort of a bad learning environment.

BTW, my car, at least, has one honkin' big battery back there. I've never seen one this big at Sears or the Pep Boys. I'm not even sure one technician could pick it up!

Translated: Any preemptive replacement of the battery before it's really used up is going to cost more than the $69.95 you'd pay Sears to replace the battery in your Kia.

To the issue of battery life - - remember that the battery is there to start the car, intermittently provide an additional source of power (for such things as window defoggers and heated seats) when the engine is idling, and as an electrical "voltage-variation absorber" for impulses or other glitches in the electrical system. When the engine gets over idle, the alternator is what supplies the power. So, battery life is somewhat dependent on what kind of driving you do - long road episodes at highway speeds that keep the battery charged, or 2 mile errands with the bun warmers on because the heater hasn't come up to speed yet. Battery life, like your mileage, will vary.

In terms of access, I'd check your owners manual and would suggest taking a look FYI since there are fuses under there, too. There are several locations for fuses in the car, and it makes sense to know where they all are in case you're in too much of a hurry to wait for M-B roadside service.

I'd not be worried about jump-starting the car as long as you don't inadvertently reverse polarity between the jump-ee and the jump-or.
  • I had to replace my battery on my 97 E320 with 47K miles, just last month. Could not find one anywhere like Pep Boys or K-Mart. Dealership changed out for rediculous price of $180.00. According to the dealer it included a diagnostics check on the electrical wiring/components and the computer, and the resetting of something or another. Like I said earlier in these postings, "If you cannot afford the maintenance costs, Do not get a Mercedes".
  • cduongcduong Posts: 70
    Normal battery would last 5 years... I just replaced mine (1996 E-320), bought it at an Interstate battery distributor, best battery, it took 15 minutes to put in. No sweat.
    Anybody knows what type that they use at the dealer? Can you find after-market coolant for MB? Thanks
    When changing out a battery, it's probably prudent to check the electrical and charging system, particularly if the battery went dead before its warranty period expired. I recently had to get a new battery for my wife's '77 MB 300D. Went to my local independent foreign car service center (owner was a master MB technician and later the service manager at a local MB dealer).

They found that they had to replace the alternator, which was barely charging the battery. They were amazed to find that the original alternator was on the car (96,0000+ miles). Had I merely replaced the battery, it would soon have been discharged because of the bad alternator.
    How much did your battery cost? I appreciate all the posts about our M-B battery.
    valueguy... My new battery is Interstate MPT3 or MTP3, $80.97, 6-yr warranty, but I probably replace it after 5 years for a peace if mind. You can find it at your local Interstate distributor. It's very easy to replace. The only thing that I have to do is to re-code my radio. My friend who owns a garage told me that Interstate is the best. He does all the maintenance works for my MB at 1/2 the cost of MB dealer... Good luck
  • alirobalirob Posts: 17
    The check engine light just came on and won't go out on my 2000 E320. There is no noticable difference in drivability; the gas cap is on tight. The teleaid guy said that it is not a problem but to get it looked at if it persists. Has anyone had a similar problem?
    alirob
  • First, it takes me 3 months and multiple calls to get Teleaid working. I used it once. Then I get a letter saying I will be automatically charged $20/month starting with the 1 year purchase anniversary.

I hang on the phone for awhile to cancel it, finally give up and leave a message.

Now everytime I start the car I get a little commercial message to look at Tele Aid, and when I shut down I get a "malfunction" message because I don't subscribe to Tele Aid.

I think this is a fine service for those who want it, but it sure seems like a heavy handed approach trying to jam it down my throat, and I kind of resent it.
    My first year "free" ran out a few months ago and they billed me $240. I called them to say no thanks and they came back with $190 for 15 months. I offered $120, figuring it's probably worth $10 a month and they said no, so I cancelled. Keep a cell phone in car and save the money. I'll bet On Star in a new Chevy isn't $240 a year. This is every manufactures dream, downstream revenue.....
    Based on several recommendations on this board, I ordered the Bilstein HD shocks to improve the ride and handling on my E320. I'll let everyone know how they perform after installation from a local reputable MB service shop in Ramsay, NJ.
  • Replacing the battery is not that difficult. Like most other cars, you have to reset the radio code. But in addition, remember what the manual says about disconnecting the power source? It says that you will have to recalibrate the windows, ESP/ABS, sunroof, seat positions, mirror positions, headrest movement... others. Note that the procedure for recalibrating each of these systems is contained somewhere in the manual.

Also note: There is a kill fuse in the battery compartment (under the seat). We should all learn how to pull this fuse because in certain electronic malfunctions (and they can happen with these cars), it is only way to shut down the car.
    Rokinkead... thanks for the info, I did not do anything else beside recoding my radio and everything is OK... is it because it's 1996 model and less complicated than newer models?
  • cce182cce182 Posts: 40
    Responding to rokinkead re: kill fuses.

Don't know which year/options you have, but there is no reference anywhere (owners-manual or fuse designator cards) to a kill fuse in 2000 E-Class manuals. And, I suspect that any car that required pulling a fuse (particularly under a seat) to shut down the car would attract the attention of the NHTSB as a safety concern.

For those who haven't studied the manual or the "nooks and crannies" of their cars, there are three locations for fuses: under the hood on the left side, under the seat near the battery, and behind a trap-door next to the headlight switch, accessible with the drivers door opened. There are reference cards (which fuse does what, what size is specified) in each compartment, and even some spare fuses. The legends (translated from German, of course - and there's German on the back sides of these cards) are generally intelligible, with some whimsy mixed in, e.g. "Fanfare"?! - the horn, perhaps. Or, "E-Call" which might be the Tele-aid system. For those who haven't explored under the back seat - getting it out is not obvious. Under each front corner there is a little plastic lift lever that releases a clamp that holds the seat in place. Other car brands frequently do not have this release. I'd suggest practicing this, finding the fuses, and finding the jumper-cable lugs under the hood so you know where they are if you ever need to access them.

rokinkead, Did I miss the kill fuse somewhere?
  • I think Tele-Aid is a rip-off. What do you get for 1 year's subscription? Someone to tell you that the knob on the left of the steering wheel (on my 2000 E320) is the switch for the headlights. Duhhhhh, if you need help on that after having the car for 2 weeks, I think you need more help than Tele-Aid.

If enough people don't renew their Tele-Aid subscriptions, do you think MB will get the hint that it's a good for nothing expensive feature?
This discussion has been closed.