Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedans

Comments

• r1_97r1_97 Member Posts: 181
    There are 3 buttons on driver's door to remember the mirror and seat positions for 3 different drivers.
  • sdjuminsdjumin Member Posts: 16
    I had a brief chance today due to a warmer weather to release the latch under the bumper to get to the foglight assembly (as suggested by haspelbein - thanks again). However, I just couldn't find a way to detach the foglight assembly from the bumper or open the back of the assembly to change the bulb. Does anyone know how to detach or open the assembly? I am afraid if I use too much force, I may break it. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.
  • 2ndmb2ndmb Member Posts: 72
    I bought the Bosch Micro Edge blade at the Mobil oil change store near my house. I got the blade and the arm as one unit and it snapped into place. About a 3 second installation.
    It's been about 1000 miles since I had the HD Bilsteins installed and I have good things to report.
    1) Ride is less harsh and at a reasonable level
    2) Handling is greatly improved
    3) Side to side rocking and super soft ride is gone,much more controlled than before.

Conclusion
    Firmer ride, better handling, more stable.

This set up won't be for everyone, if you really enjoy the stock ride of the E this isn't for you, but if you prefer the 5 series BMW handling, this should be a consideration for your E.
  • mbdrivermbdriver Member Posts: 426
    Do you have the 320 or 430? If 320, do you have 16" or 17" wheels? I'm curious because I have an E320 with upgraded 17" wheels and Yokohama dB tires. The handling, steering, ride and are superb, and there's little or no side to side rocking (maybe I'm not as perceptive as you). I've driven the BMW 530I and prefer my E320.
  • gdtobmegdtobme Member Posts: 17
    Believe me, it's not difficult to replace the wiper blade of a 2000 E320. I've done it twice and I can't even hammer a nail in straight. Just read the instructions in the owners manual first.
    I actually have 2 sets, the original 16" the car came with and 17" AMG with Dunlop SP5000 tires. I have the OEM wheels on now for the winter, so I haven't had the opportunity to check the combination of the shocks with the 17" wheels. Using the 17" wheels with the oem shocks was an improvenment over stock but was too soft in cornering for my taste.The car is a 2000 E320.In the Spring I want to sell my AMG wheels (8" width) and buy the stock E430 (17x7.5")wheels
  • seversuaveseversuave Member Posts: 10
    Has anyone besides me had problems with E-class rear window lifters? I have a 1997 E300 Diesel and now both of my rear windows have stopped working. I rolled them all the way down, heard a pop, and the window stopped moving and is now loose in the track in the down position. I had the first one fixed at the dealer, and the whole lifter assembly had to be replaced (would have been $$$ if not for warranty). Now it's out of warranty, and the same thing happened to the opposite side. I went to alldata.com and found a number of technical service bulletins concerning windows, but can't get specifics without subscribing. May just do that.
  • bigrobnhbigrobnh Member Posts: 114
    My parents 2000 E320 has already had a rear window lifter fail. Something to do with the metal tray-like piece that holds the window to the lifter assembly. It gave out and the window actually dropped out of the mechanism. Had the whole thing replaced under warrantee. They're located in central Florida. He was quite surprised that this would fail so quickly and asked the dealer. They were mum about it but the driver that came to fetch the car said they've had quite a few of them. Guess MB didn't plan on people opening/closing their rear windows that often. I wonder how hot it gets in that door in the Florida sun (their car is black too).

My 2001 has had nothing wrong with the exception of it forgetting what "up" is a couple of times. Using the retraining instructions in the owners manual fixed it no problem (just glad it wasn't raining at the time). It's worked nicely as an excuse to show off the hard-bound owners manual.

BigRob.
  • jrosasmcjrosasmc Member Posts: 1,711
    Does Mercedes-Benz NA plan to import diesel-engined cars to the States anytime soon? There have been no diesel Mercedes since the '99 E300.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    On a recent run through Montvale, I cut through the MBUSA parking lot and noticed a new C-Class outfitted like a C320 with the model designation on the back of "C270 CDI". When I worked there a couple of years ago, I rarely (if ever) saw any of the imported Eval. cars in that particular lot that were not under serious consideration for commercial importation. Having said that, until the oil industry decides to supply low sulfur diesel on this side of the pond (like they do in Europe), it is unlikely at best that we will see such cars in our local showrooms.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • thegeneraltsothegeneraltso Member Posts: 25
    there is an e320 cdi too (for europe of course) ... 190 hp
  • martye320martye320 Member Posts: 45
    I want one too. How do I get one in CA??? I do not want a used E300.
  • meagvgmeagvg Member Posts: 13
    I'm trying to figure out what the proper pressure should be for these tires.

The specs on the filler cap, door panel and owner's manual are all different. MBUSA tells me one thing, dealer another. I've got 275/35R18 on the back and 245/40R18 on the front. Normal high speed highway driving, nothing too extreme for now.

Any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
    Thanks, Mike
    02 E55
  • tendonstendons Member Posts: 43
    01e55-I guess I use the pressures on the gas filler door, sort of. It recommends 32/33 for city driving under 120 mph with two people and I think 40/42 with two people over 120. Anyhow, I use 36/36 and find it quite adequate and even when it was at the lower number the ride was o.k, but a little soft.I have found the ride a little floaty at 90-100, but with good cornering and I guess it's just the spring rates. I spoke to hr and they said their shock rates using the sport bilsteins would be about 15% firmer than the shocks that are on the E55. They also said that the hd bilsteins are close to what amg asks for from Bilstein, but there is some difference in compression from the standard hd shocks..
  • wnielwniel Member Posts: 97
    I have an E430 with the 17" wheels, and have been told by the tire dist. where I bought new wheels for it that if you want to get the best wear out of the 17" tires, you should keep 36# all the way around. I have done that with satisfactory results.
    Wally
  • gra2pgra2p Member Posts: 1
    I have recently noticed condensation that occurs in the right headlamp assembly. I notice it most frequently when it has rained, and it seems to last for a couple of days each time.
    When I spoke with the service rep at the dealer, he told me that there is a vent in that headlight that often causes condensation in the rain. Does this make any sense? It seems to me that the assembly shouldn't be letting any water in, period.
  • jean7of9jean7of9 Member Posts: 192
    Humidity inside the headlight assembly is deadly to the bulbs. The presence of such condensation means that the headlight assembly back cover is not sealed properly. Your dealer should replace it under warranty. Mine was replaced under the same circumstances.
    Jean
  • khoenigkhoenig Member Posts: 1
    I have the opportunity to purchase a 1994 E Class 4D E420 Sedan. Mint condition with slip control and heated front seats. 35,000 and I know who owns it now and maintenance has been kept up on it. Does anyone know of any downside to purchasing this car? I appreciate anyone's input.
  • popkwizzpopkwizz Member Posts: 17
    I'm a 3 series BMW driver who is interested in an older 300E. It's an '86 with 62k miles on it and it's very clean. I plan on having it checked out mechanically but I'm curious for opinions on this sort of vehicle and what lies 'on the road ahead' if I buy this car. 8 grand is the asking price. Is this the 300E with the infamous 4matic transmission problems?
    Thanks.
    Pop
  • jawandajawanda Member Posts: 30
    Our '99 E300 also had both rear lifters fail, about one month apart. Fortunately they were replaced/repaired under warranty.
  • jamesr88jamesr88 Member Posts: 16
    I have a 2000 e 430 sport package. just love it. recently at dealer noticed a 2002 sl500 silver arrow with unbelievable tire rims. i am currently inquiring about them .about 1020each plus tire. they are 18". any opinions as to good or bad move downside, etc where to purchase other than dealer. currently have 17" with sport package rim. the car is black and i feel the tires would make this car awesome. would shock change be necessary? any input welcome.
  • bmms8bmms8 Member Posts: 86
    well i know for a fact that it will be louder in the cabin than right now, but im also sure that the handling should be better, dont know about shocks
    your road noise will be higher than normal, but your handling should be better
    i thought the 1st time, i didnt get it through, and the 2nd, i didnt wqant to write it all again
  • lhcleunglhcleung Member Posts: 24
    Hi, Happy Seasons to everyone! I have been on this board for more than a year now. In June 2001, I've got a 2001 E320. As far as I am concerned, during the last six months my E320 behaved perfectly. I just love my car. But I did not get the 'Tele-Aid' system initially. Lately I have heard a good tracking system called 'Boomerang Tracking System' which is avaible only in Canada presently, but will be in the US States pretty soon.
    This system is just like the Tele-Aid, it will notifies you when your car is stolen and tracks it down to recover it for you. I just wish to hear from someone who actually has it installed in his/her car and finds it useful. Please share the information if you could. Thanks
    Louis
    and a happy new year, but i have 1 question, how long will the dealer ships keep the e-class special edition....???
    Merry Xmas to all members of this community.
    I do not have a Boomerang installed but I happen to live in the city where it is born. Here, it is the kingdom of car thieves. When caught, a car thief is usually released the same day in order to steal a better car. Boomerang does not use a GPS location but relies on cellular triangulation and is enough precise to locate a stolen car. The rate of recovery is almost 100%. It's advantage over the satellite locator is that they can still trace a car inside the container bond to Nigeria or Russia as long as it is within reach. And just about the only recovered cars are equipped with Boomerang. The reason why I did not install it on my 99 E320 4matic is a discouragement by the dealer who claimed it will void my warranty because of its interference with the electrical system. Good luck.
    Jean
  • haspelbeinhaspelbein Member Posts: 227
    Sorry, didn't see the message earlier on. Unless you've figured it out yourself already, there should be a latch on the lower part of the black cap that covers the rear of the foglight. Pulling it down should release the cap. The light itself is a standard socket and bulb assembly.

Merry Christmas !
  • pslade67pslade67 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 98 E320 Sedan...The transmission seems to struggle shifting to 5th from a dead start. Reaching 30000k rpms before it shifts. Is this common to 98's? Are the 98 trans just noisy?

Thanks
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Thirty Million RPMs! Wow, your engine must be some sort of a one-off skunkworks motor. I'll bet you could sell it for a lot of scratch. ;-)

In all seriousness, I suspect that there may be a problem, but you will have to wait until another E320 owner responds.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    OOP's...30k would read better!

Thanks
  • mbbenzmbbenz Member Posts: 47
    I think you mean 3k RPM
  • sfmartinsfmartin Member Posts: 59
    3K would read even better.
    This might explain why I have not received a response to my question. Perhaps no one has responded because, (with the exception of a couple{smile}, they don't understand the question. Well, let me try three-thousand RPM's (3000 RPM's).....

My fault. However my question stands. Any feedback on the perceived symptoms would be appreciated.

Thanks all.
  • dunninladunninla Member Posts: 33
    I have read many times that the transmission is designed to hold shift changes longer than normal when the engine is cold. This is to optimize the pollution control by helping the engine to warm up quicker. I noticed this on my wife's '92 SE300 and on my '96 C280. However, my 2001 E320 does not seem to do this. I can't say whether my wife's '99 S320 does it.
  • fishxprtfishxprt Member Posts: 21
    I had a 95 E320 that did the same thing when cold but my 2001 E320 does not. If you have one of the new "smart" transmissions which can change shift patterns depending on you driving style, you can have "Hard" shifting into 5th on occasion. Check your manual to see if your transmission is "smart".

My 2001E 320 has the "Brake Pad Wear" message coming on at 7,900 miles. I think it is probably the wear sensor, but will take to the dealer to check. Anyone had a similar experience?
  • joeadpjoeadp Member Posts: 68
    Fishexpert it sounds to early to need brakes.

My sensor light went on today at 21,000 miles.

Time to visit the shop
  • valueguyvalueguy Member Posts: 208
    Yes, I agree that the sensor has probably malfunctioned. I had mine replaced at 9,000 miles along with another sensor. With M-B always check the electronic gadget first. I really like my car but the electronics still remain its main area of weakness along with that stupid single wiper blade.

Valueguy
    '00E430 Sport, E1, E2, multicontour seats(great!)and voice activated phone.
    Jean: Thank you for your info about the Boomerang system. I checked with my Mercedes Benz dealer, she informed me that it's absolutely ok to install the Boomerang system and she claims it does not interfere with the car's electronic components. I have yet to check with the Mercedes Benz headquarters to make sure it is true. Another thing I am concerned is - the installation of the Boomerang system may upset the car's well built structure. What do you think? Now, my car is just perfect - no rattling, and quiet. As the Boomerang shop maintains that the location of the unit is kept secret. I have no idea where they (the Boomerang guy) would install the unit. I appreciate anyone's opinion on this. Thanks.
    Jean: Thank you for your info about the Boomerang system. I checked with my Mercedes Benz dealer, she informed me that it's absolutely ok to install the Boomerang system and she claims it does not interfere with the car's electronic components. I have yet to check with the Mercedes Benz headquarters to make sure it is true. Another thing I am concerned is - the installation of the Boomerang system may upset the car's well built structure. What do you think? Now, my car is just perfect - no rattling, and quiet. As the Boomerang shop maintains that the location of the unit is kept secret. I have no idea where they (the Boomerang guy) would install the unit. I appreciate anyone's opinion on this. Thanks.
    Louis
  • frank09frank09 Member Posts: 14
    Hi all...does the '98 E320 come w/the spare mounted on a alloy rim or on a steel wheel ?
    Happy New Year 2002 to all the members of this community.
    I am glad that your dealer is more cooperative than mine. In fact mine made me sign an MB notification that will void the warranty whenever any theft deterrent is installed. Boomerang will never interfere with the "structure" of the car. All they do is hide a small transmitter unit with an antenna. The transmitter will be inactive all the time until you declare your car is missing. At that time the control center will activate the unit in order to locate the car. Hence it is important to report it missing ASAP. Good luck.
    Jean
    on a 01E when the outside temp is 42 and the car has been in the sun and is somewhat warm, but not hot, I can't get the heater to go on until I set the temp on high and then it does get quite hot and then I have to set it down to 76 and the air conditioner comes on rather than just less hot air.
    At night , with the same temp. the heater will come on and adjust the temp sort of o.k. but again, it seldom feels like 72 or 74, but hotter. It seems that something's not quite right with the temp. sensor. Any similar experiences?
  • wnielwniel Member Posts: 97
    This problem is exacerbated if the center vents are pointed up and can blow warm or cold air on the sensor. However I have noticed in my E430 that sometimes the temp is slow to get to the desired level. When I get in the car in the evening after sitting for a couple of hours and the temp had gotten cool, the heat will come on with a vengence and roast you out. When that happens I turn down the blower speed using the manual switch until the temp. will stabalize.
    Wally
    I use the manual to control it and considering that cold weather in new orleans is a one or two week period, it's not a big problem, but it seems as if it ought to work better. The simple twist dials in the mustang is far more dependable, and a bit cheaper.
  • fletchkelfletchkel Member Posts: 6
    Happy New Year to everyone!!

I've seen posts in the last couple of months about special, last of model, editions of the E320 with option pkgs. at base price. Does anyone have any further scoop on this??

I'm holding onto my '92 LS400 and '94 Grand Cherokee (Ugh!*)thru this winter in hopes of replacing both with a 2002 E320 AWD in the spring which is when these special editions were reportedly due.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    Being a nice guy, I have offered to assist my business partner and our attorney in getting a pair of E320's when their leases are up later this month. A couple of questions:

Valueguy: How are the optional multicontoured seats in the E compared to either the E55 seats or the C32 seats? I have never had the opportunity to try them out on an E, since they are a pretty rare option for a dealer to order. Can you compare/contrast them to the "sport" seats in a BMW 5-series? Do they offer as much lateral support? My business partner currently drives a Volvo S80. Doesn't care for the car that much, but likes the seats in the Volvo and BMW. Thanks.

General lease question: I know I could get an E320 for $1,500 under invoice on a purchase deal. That works out to about 10% under MSRP. Having never leased before, does that discount translate into a similar percentage savings in a monthly lease, or possibly even more (i.e. does the price discount of approximately $5,000 effectively knock off $130 per month on a 39 month lease)?

Thanks.

P.S. For the record book, one of our neighbors just sold his 1998 E300 Turbodiesel with 75k miles for $35,000 (mint condition). He paid $42,500 brand new in May 1998. That works out to $7,500 depreciation for 43 months (under $200/month) or 10 cents/mile. I wish my stock portfolio had only depreciated that much during the same time!!
    Hi, Happy New Year to everyone! Lately, car thief activities in Canada are getting worse. I am thinking about installing a Boomerang Tracking System on my 2001 E320. I know, right now it is only available in Canada; but very soon will be in the States. I just wish to HEAR FROM ANYONE WHO HAS THIS SYSTEM INSTALLED on his/her car. I wish to know if there is any complication or problem or even violation of MB warranty policy after installation of the Boomerang Tracking System. Please share any information you may have, I certainly appreciate it very much.
    Louis
  • fishxprtfishxprt Member Posts: 21
    Does anyone if the 2003 E55 will have the adjustable suspension like the other E's?
This discussion has been closed.