Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedans

Comments

• pecclespeccles Member Posts: 52
    www.autoweek.com has a cover story on the '03 E-class.
    Still no info if MB will be generous enough to offer a standard
    CD player for your $50K
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    My suggestion on #2 is take the car to a paintless dent removal shop. In the DC area, I've been to Dent Wizard several times over the past 5-6 years and they always managed to get the dings out to my full satisfaction. Several were in places that I didn't think they could reach with their tools, but they managed. Usually, the price for a small ding is about $80. For what you describe, I would guess $150.

Good luck.
  • microrepairmicrorepair Member Posts: 508
    Yes, the plastic cover running down the middle of the block needs to be removed to gain access the wires and plugs. But no special tools are needed , just an extension shaft for the socket to reach down into the hole. And then a pair of needle nose pliers to reach into the hole to extract the plug after it is unscrewed.
  • EdsotoEdsoto Member Posts: 42
    Any suggestions on where I could find the actual invoice price? Edmunds & KBB come up differently.

Thanks...

Ed
  • waltowalto Member Posts: 34
    Spark plugs should be removed and replaced carefully. Two issues that I did not see in previous posts: anti-seize and correct torque. A small, carefully applied quantity of high-temperature anti-seize comound should be applied to the plug threads. And a torque wrench should be used to apply correct torque in installing the new plugs. Both of these are important because the cylinder heads are aluminum. The threads in the heads can be easily damaged. If you are not familiar with these procedures, I would let an experienced mechanic do the job.
  • cduongcduong Member Posts: 70
    Thanks for all replies. Any body uses platnium plugs and observes benefits? THANKS AGAIN
  • valueguyvalueguy Member Posts: 208
    Check out Edmunds' review of the all new "E".
    The car looks like a winner provided M-B upgrades the quality with the new sheet metal. The new E must be the leader in its segment if M-B is going to maintain sales in this market-place.

Still, all that new technology makes me very weary of purchasing an '03 model. Perhaps, an '05 model without any "bugs" and improved knobs for the climate control (see SL Review by Car and Driver) is worth waiting for. Especially, if I get the 476HP version.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    The review valueguy mentions can be found by accessing the "Helpful Link" on the left side of this page.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • r1_97r1_97 Member Posts: 181
    My one year ownership is almost up and I want to get an addl. 2 year extended factory warranty for my 2001 E320. I live in San Diego. Where is the best price for this warranty from MB (not 3d party).

Steve
  • billp8billp8 Member Posts: 56
    Does anyone know of a place in or near Arlington, VA, where you can HAND wash the car yourself? In the past, I have had bad experiences with even the "brushless" car washes. Many thanks!
  • haspelbeinhaspelbein Member Posts: 227
    I would agree on the torque wrench for spark plugs. You can also purchase a special spark plug wrench (Hazet/approx. $60) that guides the spark plug and makes cross-threading almost impossible.

I'm not sure that it is necessarily a job for a professional, but it is something that should be done with a lot of care.
  • cce182cce182 Member Posts: 40
    Rather than spend $60 for a special tool, you can use a short length of neoprene hose that's a snug fit over the insulator of the plug, put the plug in the hose and then guide the plug into the threads, turning the plug with the hose as you guide it in. The hose should be just long enough so you can turn the plug with it as you guide the plug into the threaded hole in the head.

Once the plug has been threaded in a few turns and it's obvious that the threads are not crossed, just yank the hose off the plug and finish tightening in the regular way with a plug socket, extension, and torque wrench.

This technique gives you the "feel" of the the plug threading into the hole: if there's any resistance or reluctance to accept the plug because of cross-threading, you'll be able to detect it, withdraw the plug, and restart the insertion again - - all without risk of dropping the plug into an inaccessible place in the engine compartment - - or on the floor. (Plugs don't like being dropped on the floor!)

By the way, you can also use this same hose for removing the plugs. Just loosen the plug with the wrench in the usual way, then push the hose onto the plug and turn it the rest of the way out. Much more elegant and safer than fiddling around with needle-nose pliers! Further, a hose of the correct length can save your knuckles and protect you from burns if, in your impatience, you're working on a hot engine!

I'd be surprised if there weren't heli-coils in the sparkplug holes. There certainly ought to be (and could be installed if you accidentally stripped a spark-plug hole). Use of heli-coils in piston aircraft engines is widespread. These engines universally have aluminum heads. Plugs are much more frequent removed and reinsertion (at least once/year at annual inspection) of plugs, so OEM heads already have the helicoils in them. Also prevents aluminum galling on the plug threads and stripping the hole as you remove the plug.

Champion sells a spark-plug thread lube which works fine in this application (just don't get it on the electrodes - it's electrically conductive), and by all means, use a torque wrench to finish the tightening!
  • digital_bdigital_b Member Posts: 129
    if you could actually get to the entire list of posts. the links at the top for beginning and scroll up 20 DONT WORK.
    My small rectangular yellow light , on the right front side of the '96 E320 car has a bad connection resulting in "Lamp Defective" readout at the dash board. Any body has any idea "how to" get to it for replacement.
    Thanks a bunch
  • cmayercmayer Member Posts: 38
    If it's the same as on my '98, it's accessible thru the wheel well. You'll see an access door there.
    Cmayer... What is the wheel well and where is it? Thanks
  • lhcleunglhcleung Member Posts: 24
    Hi everybody! I have been a reader of this board for more than a year. In April 2001 I've got myself a E320; it's just a beautiful, beautiful car!. Now, I have almost finished one year for my car; but I have travelled only 6,000 klm (kilometers). My first Service A is not due until another 9,000 klm. I know this question of getting engine oil change before 15,000 klm has already been covered extensively on this Board. But I would like to hear from those of you who ACTUALLY HAVE FOLLOWED THE FSS (flexible service schedule)as recommended by MBenz, about the RESULTS you've got - any negative or positive effects on the engine or the result is even better. I certainly would appreciate any information on this. As I have heard that Mercedes Benz have actually preconditioned the engines before the final production; as a result there is no need to have the first 5,000 miles oil change to flush out any possible metal debris the engine may have. I don't know how true this is.
    Louis
    After 10 weeks of waiting I took delivery of my 330 Convertible today. I wanted a convertible for my weekend drives and I picked the 330 over the SLK. These cars are very different but their prices are close. I wanted to spend no more than $45,000 on my third car. I chose a 2002 BMW 330 convertible White/Sand with 5 speed, xenon lights and premium package. Also, I got the M3 steering wheel and clear lenses for the front and sides.

The BMW is very different from my M-B '00E430.
    The car shifts well and handles crisply. Acceleration is brisk and the car feels fast due to the smoothness of BMW's in-line 6 cylinder engine. Interior and ergonomics are on par with M-B.

When I got home today from the dealer I noticed a dime sized ding on the hood. Perhaps, one of the service guys dinged the hood while installing my clear lenses. The dealer promised a dentless repair next week. Other than the ding(@!@!) the car has some scratches on the hood and one very tiny (real tiny) bubble on the hood. Overall, the paint quality, fit and finish is excellent.

So far, I prefer my M-B ride to the BMW as a daily
    commuter. I will see if my opinion changes as I put more miles on the 330. Any input on how I should handle the "dinged" hood situation with my dealer is appreciated.
    The wheel well is the area beneath/behind the semi-circular cutout in the fender where the wheel and tire are. You'll find the access to release for the parking lamp assembly in the front of the well near the amber lens.

You should stop at an auto parts place before hand and buy a front parking lamp (bulb.) Almost any parts store should have them, but you may need to buy two due to packaging. No big deal as we're talking about $1 each. You'll need to specify your car by year and model

When you're ready to replace it, you'll want a dry cleaning cloth to remove the grime you're apt to find on the assembly. If it's really grimy, you'll want warm, soapy water. If so, use the water only on the outside of the assembly. Then dry it and your hands before you open it to change the lamp. You'll spend more time cleaning than you will renewing the lamp.
    Cmayer.. Thanks for the info. Internet is wonderful, isn't it. Have a nice day
  • mbdrivermbdriver Member Posts: 426
    r1_97 -- Coantact Lisa Lehrbaum at Courtesy Motors in Chico, CA, at 1-800-655-3535 or 1530-893-1300. I bought my Mercedes Care Premium coverage 48 month additional warranty from Lisa a year ago for $1680, thanks to this forum. My dealer in the D.C. area would not budge off the MB list price of $2650. You can choose 12, 24, 36 or 48 additional months. MB may have raised the price, but Lisa still has the best deal available.

Good luck, and let us know how you make out.
  • rbrenton88rbrenton88 Member Posts: 186
    Will she sell that extended coverage if you are neer the end of the regular factory 4-yr coverage, or do you have to be within the 1st year?
    Thanks, MBDRIVER, for the referral. Lisa was knowledgable, helpful and straight with me. Price for 48 addl. months (or 100k miles)was same $1,680. She gets my business.

To RBRENTON88, factory extended warranty applies only to orig. purchaser during the first year of ownership.
  • jborsjbors Member Posts: 6
    Is there a source available to the educated public for M-B service bulletins issued for specific models to the dealers? I recently acquired a 97 e420 and would like to research and educate myself on potential maintenance issues rather than trust a dealer. Also it's time consuming and expensive to always go to another location for a second opinion. I have never found an answer to this topic on this thread.

Thanks.
  • vs4vs4 Member Posts: 70
    Is $1680 for E320 RWD or E430 RWD car? Thanks for replying.

Vic.
  • leo23leo23 Member Posts: 4
    Is there an advantage to getting MB own telephone system, the Timeport at $1695 or the multi-function new V-60 at $2,340--plus whatever the server monthly cost is? Why not simply get one's own cell phone with hands-freeheadset, power adapter plus optional web and voice command features for less than $100?? Leo
    to vs4:
    $1680 was for 4 yrs. addl. warranty on E-320 RWD.
    The M-B phone is great. The built in feature and voice activation makes using the system very easy while driving. I got a 2nd hand held cell phone to carry around so I can leave my Motorola docked in my M-B. My wife uses all that hands-free stuff in her car and there is no comparison.

As for which one to get, why not get a good deal on the "older" phone and use the difference to pay for about 3 years use on a 2nd phone you can carry around? My wireless provider let me get the second phone on the same plan as my M-B phone.
  • tendons1tendons1 Member Posts: 12
    Is the padding of the ventilated and non-ventilated seats the same? On the schematic at the parts department they look to be no different, but it seems that in order to draw air through the seats, there should be less padding.
  • john01john01 Member Posts: 246
    I went to the MB dealer today to check out the new E. It looks smaller than the older model, despite having more space. The rear is a bit bland, it not disappointing, but the front end is great. The interior is very nice. It feels cozier, gives more wrapped around feeling like a BMW. Still has the CD-based NAV, but every little switch and compartment oozes luxury. The trunk is huge, but I wish they would put the spare instead of a "can". The panoramic sunroof is nice but I could live without. It is just another sunroof over the rear seat area. E500 has a slightly more aggressive lower airdam, that reminds C32, and twin exhaust. It does not look all that much different from a regular E, other than the airdam and AMG rims. One eye catching color, though. I thought it was black, but under a direct light, it is VERY dark green. I think it might become the new "in" color for the car.
  • jsalemijsalemi Member Posts: 17
    You can search for, and usually find, all service bulletins, recalls, etc on the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration web site. The address is http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/.

---joe

• revktbrevktb Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 1999 E320 with 24,000 miles. It was a Mercedes Lease vehicle and I purchased it from a dealer who bought it at the Mercedes auction. The 4 year/50,000 mile warranty is over in October 2002, so I have some time left. I want to know where is the best place to purchase an extended warranty that will give me the best price/coverage. Thanks...
  • dunninladunninla Member Posts: 33
    Let me start by saying I absolutely love my 2001 E320 that I have upgraded with AMG 17" wheels, Dunlop SP 8000 tires, Eibach springs, and few other goodies.

I post this to warn the visitors here about the aboslutely aweful customer service rendered by the TeleAid organization...misbilling, comandeering my radio and scaring the sh$%t out of me and my daughter one night, misbilling again, and then unresponsiveness to fixing the problem.

This is a continuation of post #2964.
    "#2964 of 3133 TeleAid Crooks! what a disaster this is for MBUSA! by dunninla Feb 11, 2002 (02:33 pm) This is a continuation of my post from Feb. 4.
    Got a call from my wife just now. Seems one of our credit cards had two more yearly TeleAid charges. Recall I cancelled TeleAid, got a credit for the erroneous Year 2 charge of $258 and change, back in early January.

Now, they have charged me two additional times on the same card. I have been on hold for 10 minutes trying to get them to reverse these two charges like they did last time.

The whole TeleAid organization is an embarrassment to MBUSA, and MBUSA's relationship with these incompetent boobs should be terminated immediately. "

UPDATE: After posting this, I got TeleAid customer service to answer, and to promise to credit the two separate, unauthorized 1 year charges. Finally, I thought, taken care of.

Well, not so fast. I got my March Visa bill 10 days ago, and not only were both charges still on it, but an additional unexplained $4.00 charge, plus a nice little reminder from MBNA that the payment was overdue, plus $29.00 late charge.

Got TeleAid on the line immediately last week. A nice lady there explained they had migrated to a different billing system, which would explain the errant billing. Only thing is, this system had been down all that day, so she couldn't bring up my account to verify anything. She said she would have billing give me a call the next day...eight days later, still no call.

So I called again today, eating up another 15 minutes of my day. I lost the cell connection after expaining AGAIN the situation and asking for a supervisor. We discussed THREE times that I would hit a cell dead zone and to have the supervisor call me back if we were disconnected.

Now, an hour after the disconnect, I have still received no call from the agent, his supervisor, or billing.

By the way, that same day I sent the contents of post #2964 and the previous one on to attn: Mr. Paul Juron at MBUSA Customer Care department mailbox, after discussing the issue with MBUSA customer care agent... Mr. Juron is a VP I think. I got an automated email acknowlegement, and nothing more in the past five weeks.
  • billp8billp8 Member Posts: 56
    ...I seem to remember reading a few posts back that if you discontinue the service, you get some sort of unpleasant reminder every time you start your car? I just received my Tele Aid bill--$240 for the year (I think it was $205 last year). I called and said to the representative that this increase was MUCH higher than the rate of inflation, and could she tell me what justified the increase. All she said was "we have more services." She couldn't enumerate any for me, however. It would be easy for me to cancel (I think) since they have an "old" credit card number. I was just trying to remember what kind of "notification" you get inside your car once you cancel. Tele Aid IS an embarassment to M-B, one of many as of this moment. Perhaps if the members of this forum unite, we could improve upon what M-B offers in the way of telematics. Just my 2 pfennigs.
  • sfmartinsfmartin Member Posts: 59
    Every time I start or stop my car I get a message "1 Malfunction" on the dash. The "malfunction" is an inactive TeleAid.
  • rayberg7rayberg7 Member Posts: 7
    I read an article this week in one of the many magazines I subscribe to (can't remember which)about OnStar emergency and locator service. It said that Acura, Saab, and most 2002 General Motors products now can get OnStar for $$16.95 per month for the basic service. It then goes on to mention that a smaller competitor (ATX?? something) serves Mercedes and Lincoln for $240 per year. On this forum, I've never seen anyone say anything nice about Tele-Aid. Maybe Mercedes should wise-up and switch to a service that has a much bigger investment in customer service.
  • rroyce10rroyce10 Member Posts: 9,332
    ..... Try giving -Cars Protection- a call, their program is for 48 months and unlimited mileage for around $950 .. who knows, this might work for you ...

Terry.
  • hpilot1hpilot1 Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2000 E320 that I bought without the HID lights. Does anyone know if the MB dealer can install them now, and about how much would it cost. Also, has anyone installed a car MP3 player, and how well does it work.
    Thanks.
  • boljbolj Member Posts: 2
    I have been very interested in adding an mp3 player to my 01 wagon. After a lot of research, I have decided to go the portable HD route (Rio Riot...10gb!) I currently have the stock system and would like to keep my steering wheel contols. The only way to do this is to keep the stock system. A local audio shop has fitted an iPod to a system where it taps into the cassette loop in the HU. When you want to listen to MP3s, you put in an endless tape and you get mp3 listening pleasure.

If I were to add a new HU, one would have to balance appearance to function. I really liked the Alpine 7878 (now discontinued)but was very "disco" with all sorts of lights and stuff. The 2002 Alpines all seem to play mp3 music. Haven't seen these yet though. Kenwood has the Phat box (or music keg?) which is a semi-portable hard drive which can hook up to any new kenwood HU. Again pretty disco, but full of features. The Pioneer was pretty nice, just too much time in between tracks.

All of the people I talked to had first generation mp3 HU in their cars (JVC, SONY, ALpine, Blaupunkt, Kenwood) and the only ones who were totally satisfied were the people who had the Alpine in their car.

JB
  • EdsotoEdsoto Member Posts: 42
    Hi:

I was wondering if one is to buy an MB at one dealer and have it serviced at another dealer, would I experience any problems from the service dealer?

Thanks...
    My experiences from several dealers is that their service departments are mediocre and expensive. (The worst of both worlds?) I've used an independent shop whenever possible for years.

That said, the dealer from whom I bought my car is more responsive because I have a relationship with the salesman there. He, of course, wants to sell me my next car.
  • jparrottjparrott Member Posts: 15
    Since I bought my '98 E320 I've had a check engine light problem. After sitting for two to four days, the check engine light comes on after start and the engine runs rough. The roughness lasts for a day or so and the check engine light never goes out until the dealer does something to it. The car only has 18000 miles on it.

HBL of Tysons has been more than accomodating on trying to find the problem. It's been back to the service department seven times now. Each time they are sure they found the problem, have a logical explanation for the fix, then two weeks later the same problem occurs.

They have run every test and diagnostic check. They have replaced coils, injectors, seal rings, spark plugs, fuel rail, timing sender unit, main computer, new software, etc.

It is completely mystifying and a seemingly unsolvable malfunction in an otherwise fine car.

Anybody else encounter this?
  • pcasinopcasino Member Posts: 14
    jparrott,

I honestly hope your 1998 E320 still has its Starmark warranty and if it does, I am assuming you only have 9 months left, at most. If I were you and I still have that existing Starmark warranty, I would request that the car be declared a lemon and get another car from MB. 18,000 miles is too short a time frame to have a mysterious unsolvable malignant problem. That is equivalent to 360 miles a month. My 1998 E320 is almost 50,000 miles and, except for a few small items, has been rather trouble free. I have a 1986 Volvo with 260,000 miles and although it has its problems, nothing is malignant and unsolvable.

If you DO NOT have the Starmark warranty anymore, I shudder at the thought of your expenses.

Put all your cards out in the table with MB and tell them that something permanents has to be done about your car's problem.
  • jason64jason64 Member Posts: 50
    I've been having problem with locking and unlocking the doors using my 17 month old key. Has anyone else experienced similar problems? I suspect the battery is low in the key transmitter, but I can not find the access opening for it, is the battery replaceable? Is the key covered under the 4/50 warranty? Your comments are much appreciated.
  • bud24bud24 Member Posts: 8
    I have a Passport 8500 laser/radar detector on my E430AWD. It works great, however it doesn't look great as I can't shut the ashtray cover when its plugged in. So I have to drive with the ashtray (full of coins, not butts) open. The 4 solutions I can think of are:

1. learn to live with it.
    2. unplug the detector, drive legal.
    3. spend big bucks and get the dealer to run a wire through the dash, bypassing the cigarette lighter socket.
    4. remove the coins, just have an open but empty ashtray - you shouldn't be staring at your ashtray when driving fast enought to need a detector anyway.

I am sure some of you use a radar detector. Does anyone have any other solutions? Does anyone know of a gadget/adapter that is flat enough so that the ashtray cover can shut when this thing is plugged in?
  • w210w210 Member Posts: 188
    Get the dealer or high-end car stereo installation shop to run a wire with RJ45 plug (phone wire plug) from overhead console to supply the power to the 8500 which you can mount on the sun visor.

Labour shouldn't take more than one hour if they know what they're doing.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    I agree w/ pcasino - dump this lemon back on MB's or the selling dealership's lap if at all possible. I checked your previous posts and you have had nothing but problems with your 1998 E320 with less than 20k miles. How you can remain chipper and continue to post "an otherwise fine car" is beyond me.

Your experiences are suspiciously similar to a associate of mine who bought a low milage Mercedes from an independent dealer in Northern Virginia a couple of years ago. It sold for at least $10k less than market, but after a few strange problems and more extensive vehicle background checking, it was discovered to have been a "siezed" car sold at an auction. My associate is an attorney, so a few phone calls got his full purchase price back (plus some), but the dealer remained in business. Hopefully, that's not where you got your car.

Good luck.
  • bigrobnhbigrobnh Member Posts: 114
    jason64, detailed instructions are in your owners manual and will depend on year (the key to my father's 2000 is slightly different than the one to my 2001). I looked this up a few months ago for grins. Actually, if you haven't read the owners manual, I bet you only know a fraction of the tricks your E can do...

For mine, pop the emergency key out of the key/transmitter base. Peek inside, you'll see a grey slider. Insert the emergency key into the grey slider and push it in...this will release the back of the key/transmitter and the battery will be there.

I sincerely doubt the battery is covered by the warrantee...though if you ask they may replace it for you (won't be a very manly experience though :-) ).

Side note...since the remote key locks are done with RF, not the infra red. My fathers car wouldn't start one day. Called TeleAid (don't know how long the delay was :-) ). They had him clean the window on the infrared transmitter on the front of the key. Car started first try.

Enjoy,
    BigRob.
  • jason64jason64 Member Posts: 50
    Can I purchase the battery from Radio Shack, or is it a dealer item only? I think my dealer wants $10 for the battery.
  • bigrobnhbigrobnh Member Posts: 114
    jason64...remove your battery, get the info off of it and do a search on the internet.

Mine is a Varta CR2025. I went to google.com and found the following:

Micro-Tools

a division of Fargo Enterprises, Inc.

P.O. Box 6505

301 County Airport Rd. #105

Vacaville, CA 95696-6505

Phone: 707.446.1120

Fax: 707.446.3319

go to:

http://www.micro-tools.com/Merchant2/batteries.htm

I found my battery for $1.38. 10 pack for $6.90. Don't know shipping so the 10 bucks they're screwing you on may end up not being that much.

Varta has a web site. Look up the battery and get the dimensions. I'm sure that any Lithium battery of same dimensions and voltage will work.

For Example, I found the following:
    http://www.bigphotostore.com/mb-220.html
    It lists all the battery models it replaces.

Good Luck,

BigRob.

This discussion has been closed.