Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedans

Comments

• jean7of9jean7of9 Member Posts: 192
    If that squeak comes from inside the seat you should take to the dealer to add "felt paddings". Apparently this is the recommended fix from MB. I did it twice.
    Jean
  • porknbeansporknbeans Member Posts: 465
    There are some very helpful and knowledgeable people over in the "Real world trade in value" thread, under the Smart Shopper section. Give them all of the information on the car, where you're located, if there are any blemishes and they will give you the price that you can expect for it. There are people on that board that shop the country for cars and buy all models. They will be able to give you the information you need. Good luck.
    Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
    The Fraternal Order of Procrastinators
  • tomotomotomotomo Member Posts: 57
    My 2001 E320 has a similar driver's seat noise. I will be taking it to the dealer shortly for a fix (hopefully). Each time I accelerate or stop the seat seem to be somewhat loose. I also agree that it has become very annoying.
  • cmayercmayer Member Posts: 38
    I have a 98 E300D that I bought near the end of the 99 model year. Great car!

You should be able to sell it easily between the numbers you posted. How close you get to the upper number will depend on its condition (as well as the low miles,) your location and your patience.
  • wademayhuewademayhue Member Posts: 1
    I am looking to buy a '96 or '97 E320. Does anyone know what type of warranties Mercedes offered (both standard and extended) for that model year and are they transferable?
  • jstylejstyle Member Posts: 129
    Does anyone know when the new E-class will be delivered to customers if ordered now? I called my local dealer about 2 months ago and the sales woman said she would send info to me (colors/options) etc.. to order a car. She thought they would have it in early may. I haven't received a thing and think I will give her a call. Is this info available, and if so, anyone know what the time frame for delivery is? Thanks
  • w210w210 Member Posts: 188
    The squeaking on mine comes from the rubbing between the side plastic rubbing against the leather, try putting a name card in between, mine stopped.
  • jawandajawanda Member Posts: 30
    The upper number is the right range for your car. In the NYC area, we were shopping for exactly that car, and dealers were asking as high as 44K for Starmarked low mileage '99 models. That of course is way too high, and $40K was doable at all the dealers. Starmark obviously adds some value, but at only 19K, your car should be the high end of the range, assuming it's in good condition. The buyout number is quite low, and you'll definitely do better than that.
  • wnielwniel Member Posts: 97
    It take about 60 days from the time you order the car until it is delivered. Even so, don't expect to get the car delivered until Mercedes releases all of the new 2003 E Classes which I believe will be around August or Sept. Sounds to me that your sales person is irresponsible to not follow up on your conversation and send you the material. Maybe you should talk to another sales person or go to another dealer if that's possible.
    Wally
  • dkatlantadkatlanta Member Posts: 23
    Does anyone know a way to have a Mercedes V60 phone installed in a 2000 E320 at at discount? The dealer quoted $2,200, if I wanted to include voice recognition! (To be fair, he asked me if I was sitting down first).
  • valueguyvalueguy Member Posts: 208
    When I purchased the Michelin Pilot Sport All-Season tires as replacement tires for my '00 E430 Sport I wanted it all: A long tread life, good traction in wet and dry weather and a quiet ride.

Only the Michelin pilot Sport All-Season offered ALL of the above. In particular, The Pirelli tires mentioned in a previous post have a wear rating of 240 compared to 400 for the Michelin Pilot Sport All-Season tires. The Pilot Sport All-Seasons represent a compromise between performance and value. For pure performance regardless of tire life there are better choices such as the Bridgestone S-03.

I find my Michelin Pilot Sport All-Season tires appropriate for my E430. This tire compliments my driving style (aggressive but not crazy) and the vehicle's handling characteristics without sacrificing tread life.
  • dkatlantadkatlanta Member Posts: 23
    Drove up to the North Carolina mountains last night. By 9:00 PM the Memorial Day traffic was gone and the route I take through the passes was deserted. I was astounded at the performance of my Bridgestone Potenza S-03's. I was zipping through the turns, but it felt as if I could have gone twice that speed without losing adhesion. It was as if the tires were part of the asphalt. A feeling of utter security and lots of fun. The only thing missing, really, was more precision from the steering. I can't help wondering what 17 or 18 inch wheels would do. . .
    Some posters on the S Class Board mentioned that M-B was planning to release all new supercharged engines in '04 for the E Class. The AMG supercharged V-8 will be the most powerful at about 470HP for the E-Class. The S may get a 500 HP V-12 (supercharged?). The new V-6 and V-8 will have significantly more power to compete with BMW, Audi and Lexus. A standard 330-340HP V-8 is likely along with a 260-275 HP V-6.

This is probably true as Nissan, Toyota, etc are all offering more powerful V-6 engines in their cars. While M-B may not be the leader in HP the company can not afford to stand still in an ever more competitive market like ours.

The '03 E Class has the current generation of engines and is underpowered (IMHO) for 2003.
  • mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    Valueguy, I too have a '00 E430 sport. How many miles did you get on your first set of tires? I have almost 15,000 miles on my car now. I was hoping to get at least double that before I change out. My tires seem to be wearing quite well but they are a little noisy.

Mark
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • wnielwniel Member Posts: 97
    Mark,
    What kind of tires do you have? I have 15K on my 2000 E430 and doubt that I could get another 10K out of them. I have Goodyear F1 Eagles and have been relatively easy on them.
    Wally
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    I'm curious to know why you say the 2003 E is underpowered. 300hp is the norm for the V8 class that the E500 will compete in. The E320's 221 hp V6 is also right at the norm for the class. The TL-S and G35 don't have compete with the E-Class, they may outstanding engines, but the pale is many other areas.

M
  • mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    Wniel,

I have Goodyear Eagles F1, 235/45ZP17, Tread=200 Traction=A Temperature=A

It looks as though I could get 30,000 miles on these tires from what tread I have left. But we'll see.

Mark
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • jamesr88jamesr88 Member Posts: 16
    I got approximately 17000 miles on my stock continentals (00e430sport). had tread left approx 3-5kmiles but tires were getting very noisy. have about 300 miles on my new michelin pilot sport a/s. just love them in all aspects for reasons mentioned in above post. has a good balance for handling, treadwear, wet/dry etc. would highly recommend them. price at merchants in my area 100k with free periodic balancing and rotation.
    I got 15,000 miles out of my stock Continental tires before replacing them. The tires were getting noisy and wet traction was starting to become noticeably poor.

M-B decided to take the easy route for the '03 E Class and use the current generation of engines rather than update them with the new model.
    I believe resale value will suffer when the new engines are released particularly the '03 V-6 E compared to the new V-6 in '04.
    IMHO, a 5 liter engine should develop more than 300 HP in 2003. M-B is waiting for BMW to release its new engines before putting more HP in the E class. The all new GS model from Lexus will have more HP and so will the all new BMW 5 series so why is M-B waiting? My theory is M-B wants to use its current generation of reliable engines so at least the powertrain will not have any glitches in the first model year. Also, M-B does not seem to lead in HP but rather responds to BMW and Lexus as necessary to maintain market share.

The new V-8 from BMW in the 7 series is a 4.4 liter engine which develops 325HP. A 5 liter engine should develop 350-375 HP. Too bad M-B did not decide to place the current reliable AMG V-8 engine in the '03 E (E550?) and take the lead from BMW. This would not hurt sales of the '03 AMG E as it will have 470HP.
  • jfz219jfz219 Member Posts: 63
    Don't expect any significant changes in 2003 engines. The next generation of direct injection engines will be phased in over the next few years. This technology produces a marked improvement in power and efficiency. I believe that the 4 cylinder engines are the first in be introduced.
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    I'd have to disagree with that. MB rarely gets into hp wars with anyone. The E500 is right at the top of the class in hp, only Infiniti offers (340hp) more hp in the class. Yes a 5.0L V8 could develop 375hp, but as BMW has found out with it's 5.0L 400hp V8 with 400hp reliability can be compromised. People who like MB's don't buy them for hp figures. MB's current engines are fine. Yes they could have more hp, but right now they're in line with the class. Mercedes will up the power, but only once reliability has been proven. There is no hurry here, they aren't "waiting" on anything.

M
  • benznutbenznut Member Posts: 104
    Mercedes S500 outaccelerated and outmaneuvered the BMW 745i in a recent TopGear comparison. They said that the merc was more of a driver's car. Not good for BMW, especially considering that the Bimmer had 19in wheels with performance tires and 333hp (european version), whereas the S500 was down 27hp and had the "handicapping" standard 16 inch wheels with all-season tires. Also to note was the fact that the MB did not have ABC, whereas BMW had the new semiactive system. How is that for a lack in power?!
    Of course, we all know that HP is not the only measure of a car's performance and fun-to-drive factor. I rarely use all of the 275HP I have now in my E430. Similarly, my '02 330CiC has enough power (225HP) to keep me happy on the weekends.

My point is a NEW model usually has an improved power train to go along with the car. Lexus and BMW are going to release better performance engines with their new GS and 5 series. So, why expect less from M-B? As for quality my '02 BMW 330CiC equals my '00E430 in terms of overall quality. BMW is making great strides in terms of overall reliability and quality. IMHO, it is M-B that needs to catch-up to Lexus and BMW.

That said, I am very happy with my E430 and will test drive the new 5 (380 HP six cylinder turbo, 330 HP V-8, and 500 HP V-10 in '05) and the new E before replacing my currrent '00 E430. A few years ago M-B had BMW beat in terms of quality and reliability- not anymore.
    Consumer Reports, an independent unbiased organization, gave the 3 and 5 series excellent marks (equal or better than M-B) for their respective category.
    While I think the current Lexus LS 430 is homely at best, I believe the LS 430 is the best vehicle in terms of overall quality, period. As for handling, with the optional European suspension the LS 430 handles adequately.

If Lexus improves the exterior styling (which may happen in '03 or '04) I would consider buying the car. Lexus will, of course, copy the current or former 7 series as its "new" design. I am not "bashing" or praising Lexus just stating the obvious.

The main reasons I purchase German cars over Japanese ones are styling and performance not reliability. A copied E or 7 with 350 HP would be just fine with me.
  • neicey59neicey59 Member Posts: 47
    Those squeaky seats you speak of is a known problem with the E Class. This was acknowledged by a MB Tech over at MBworld. He says it's the actual seat frame...they have to be replaced.
  • lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    I'm not sure I agree with you that BMW has Mercedes beat in terms of quality and reliability. The BMW X5 is terrible. I think it was Motor Trend that had one for a year and had numerous electrical and starting problems. And the new 7 has already been recalled for electrical issues.

But you may be right. Just thought I'd comment.
  • waltowalto Member Posts: 34
    I did not have "squeaks" from my front seats, but a kind of quiet knocking (or tapping) noise on acceleration or deceleration. Tightening the pivot nuts on the front links that control seat height (one on each side of each seat, towards the front of the seat) stopped the problem. To confirm that this is the problem, try raising the seat to maximum height. The problem should stop.
    I too had my seat "tightened" so it would not move during hard acceleration.

When comparing BMW to M-B I prefer to stick with the German made products. The X5 and M Class are made in the USA. Both had some "quality" issues for the first 1-2 years.

As for the 7 series the jury is still out as far as quality is concerned. I still think the first year run of the 7 will be better then the '00 S Class. I prefer to avoid the first year of any new model (with the exception of some Toyota/Lexus products.)

For those of us on this board the question remains whether M-B will regain the lead from BMW and Lexus in this category. After all, the E costs the most and it should be the best. Currently, the E is a good car but not necessarily the best in terms of reliability and quality. I hope M-B realizes this and asserts itself in this area.
  • jawandajawanda Member Posts: 30
    One can't talk about X5 quality without mentioning ML quality. The ML was the worst rated reliability SUV on the market in its first two years (according to CR). I don't know if it's much better yet, each year MB dealers say the have all the bugs worked out.
    And "made in America" bashing is ridiculous. The Accord is made in America, as are Camry's, both of which are very reliable, and cheap. The ML has quality problems because of parts quality for cost savings. One of my friends was stranded in Vermont when some plastic hose clamps cracked and broke on a cold night after skiing on a '00 ML430. The car was towed back and I gave him a ride home.
    Not to be too anti-MB, I like my E320, and my father is happy with his E300DT, but I looked at the ML before buying a Land Cruiser, and while the LC is more expensive, the difference in quality is profound.
    I was not "bashing" USA made cars. Rather, for buyers purchasing an expensive luxury import brand
    like M-B and BMW I was pointing out the obvious:
    The ML and X5 are not German cars. Similarly, the Accord like my Odyssey is made in the USA.
    IMHO, these American made Honda products are not as good as autos made in Japan.

I do not wish to start a debate in this area.
    We live in a free market economy where the buyer can decide what to purchase. I believe the Land Cruiser is better because it is made in Japan where quality control (including materials) is set at a higher standard. I have had both American made Japanese cars and the real ones from Japan. The ones manufactured in Japan are better.

This is why the best from Toyota and Honda still come from Japan. The upcoming RL (Legend) will be made in Japan. Similarly, the best from M-B and BMW come from Germany. A few years from now product sharing among DaimlerChrysler's lines will result in more American made Mercedes-Benz cars; but, they will go by the names of Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep.
    a ML isn't fit to be called a Benz..you cannot awake Uncle Joe from his nap under the old oak tree, pluck the bottle of shine from his hands, and teach him to build a Benz..it just won't work. My 01 ML was not worth even discussing..the darn thing was only a year old, with 18,000 miles when I decided I had had enough..list of problems to lenghty to list.
  • mercimemercime Member Posts: 2
    I'm ready to begin searching for a replacement to a trusty Toyota van that has been in the family for 14 years. It has been a fairly reliable vehicle, but given its age and lack of any safety features other than seat belts, I'd say that its time has come to be replaced.

I don't trade cars frequently, as you can see from the age of the Toyota, so I hope to have my next vehicle for many years to come.

I have always wanted a Mercedes. Not so much for the prestige, but for its reputation for fine engineering and saftey. So I am now at a time in life where owning a MB is a possibility rather than just fantasy.

I've visited the local MB dealership on a few occaisions and did a short test drive with 2 vehicles. I am considering one of 3 vehicles:

1. ML320 : Since I have a van now, I am accustomed to driving a "high" vehicle. I like the ability to look out over traffic. It is also easier to get in and out as compared to a sedan. I am also accustomed to plenty of storage and I like the room that an SUV provides. The Toyota gets about 25mpg (4 cylinder)so 15-19mpg will take a little getting used to...
    I have test driven a 2001. I thought the ride was OK.

2. C-320 Wagon : It looks sharp! It offers easy storage. I would wait for the 4-Matic that I believe is due later this year. It is not a high profile and it is not a truck so I would expect a smoother ride. I have not test driven a C-Class. I have seen a few negative comments about the C over on the sedan board. I guess the bugs are still be worked out.

3. E-320 4Matic Sedan: I test drove this car. It was about the best driving car I've experienced.
    Obviously this car is not meant for carrying a lot of cargo like an SUV. I'm afraid if I go with this choice, that I will regret not having the cargo room later on. The E-320 Wagon is out of my comfort range price wise to consider. The E320 sedan is about as high as I'd go.

I welcome any and all of your opinions and information that you can provide to help me in the decision process.
    With the 02 models coming out - I would negotiate for a 02 E class with 4 matic. Believe it or not you should be able to get a E class for a song in the late fall. I recently got rid of my troublesome ML, and I have not missed the extra space now that I am in a sedan (I have noticed we are more conscious of the space difference, and therefore the car stays a lot less cluttered than the ML did)
  • magnetophonemagnetophone Member Posts: 605
    The portly butt on the E320 wagon is practically as cavernous if not more than the ML320. It's not Mercedes' best looking wagon (that goes to the early 80's 300TD), but will do the job and in style.

If you buy around August or September, dealers will be eager to get them off the lot. Although less so for the wagons because the 03 E class wagon is not due till actual calendar year 03.
    If you want an SUV consider the Acura MDX and the new Lexus MidSize SUV (GX470) due out this January. The MDX seats 7 and is a great value. The Lexus GX470 will be larger then the RX300 and MDX but still reasonable in terms of size. The new Lexus will cost $55,000 vs. $39,000 for the MDX (loaded).

As for wagons, Consumer Reports rated the E320 the BEST STATION WAGON. If you want a German Luxury wagon then purchase the E320. You can get a great deal on a '02 model. The decision is yours to make.
  • mbdrivermbdriver Member Posts: 426
    mercime - I agree with valueguy regarding the E320 wagon, but I just don't share his enthusiasm about the Japanese products -- they're fine automobiles (or trucks), but they aren't a Mercedes (whatever THAT means).

Two suggestions: First, go for the E320 wagon, but you may not want to wait until the fall. As noted, the new E-Class wagon will be delayed a year, and I doubt that you'd gain much bargaining power if you wait. In fact, the 2002 E320 wagons may actually become scarce by fall and therefore become MORE expensive! So do it now!

Second, if you're considering an E320 4Matic sedan, you'll be spending $50,000-plus. With that amount of money involved, and considering your plan to keep the vehicle for many years, why not spend a few dollars more and get the E320 wagon? If you finance, like most of us, the additional amount of your monthly payment for the wagon will be comparatively minimal.

Keep us posted about your final decision.
    Jean,

Did you notice anything peculiar about your front end alignment before replacing the ball joint?
    Did your dealer charge you to rotate the tires?
    Should other E owners watch out for this problem?

Thanks.
  • microrepairmicrorepair Member Posts: 508
    Didn't there used to be a Town Hall topic re: the service and maintenance of the E-class? Can someone direct me to that topic or another where there are discussions and help on service and maintenance procedures?

Thanks....
  • mbdrivermbdriver Member Posts: 426
    microrepair - You may be thinking of earlier discussions in this forum. There were many posts about oil change intervals, which synthetic to use and the correct viscosity, the procedure for correcting stubborn rear windows that won't stay up, windshield wiper and blade maintenance, etc. You may want to try going back a few hundred posts -- lots of excellent info on this board.
  • microrepairmicrorepair Member Posts: 508
    mbdriver: Thanks, I remember those discussions and thought they had been in a separate topic.

So let me raise a new question in the hopes that someone has the answers..

I've got a 96 E320. Does it have a timing belt or a timing chain? If a belt, what is the recommended replacement mileage?

Thanks..
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    The Town Hall is about to take on a new look in an effort to make content more easily searchable and accessible.

Have you seen the Letter from the Town Hall Manager on the Town Hall Welcome page? If not, you might want to follow that link to have a look.

And hang on to your seats. Change is never easy - for any of us - but resolving the Search problems we've had will be worth the pain.

Pat
    Sedans Host
  • haspelbeinhaspelbein Member Posts: 227
    The '96 E320 I6 has a timing chain. I'm not positive about the change intervals, but with chains you should be able to hear a rattling noise before it goes bad.

I have not driven my E320 long enough, but I have been told by other Mercedes owners that these chains are fairly long-lived.
    The defective Front axle lower Ball Joint was discovered by the technician during a routine winter/four season tire rotation. He does this check up regularly during tire replacement/rotation. There was no need for wheel alinement. The dealer charged me only for tire installation and balancing a MB fixed price of Can$69.95 (US$45.42). Apparently this is a common problem for the E-Class due to our bad roads and streets. Zillions of potholes and crevasses decorate our roads and streets in Quebec. Some of them are so deep they can break an axle. Hot weather is not the only reason why snow birds fly to Florida. Call it "potholesphobia".
  • cduongcduong Member Posts: 70
    I have a '96 E320 and it's has been very reliable. My trust worthy local mechanic (service mostly Japaneese cars) does all regular maintenance for me, i.e oil change, lubrication, brakes, flush radiator... and he uses all MB parts... at a much lower cost than you would have to pay at MB dealers... So if you can find a good local mechanic, go for it... As far as timing chain, two MB dealers told me that MB chain should last more than 150,000 miles... so don't worry about it. One local independent MB mechanic told me that MB timing chain could last a lifetime of a car if you take good car of oil change interval (he recommend 3750 miles/change with regular oil, he does not recommend syns oil unless you want to extend oil change interval... this is a different debate)
  • carolineb777carolineb777 Member Posts: 3
    I have the opportunity to purchase a 98 E320 AWD in excellent condition from someone I know and trust. The car has been very well maintained and only has 30,000 miles. He is asking $29,000 for the car. The car comes with a warranty.

Do you think this is a good deal? My problem is I need an AWD car and I don't like SUV's. I had a 99 Audi A6 and was VERY disappointed with it. It had numerous problems even though I bought it new. The only reason I hesitate on the Mercedes is it is pre owned and I have only bought new cars in the past. Any suggestions? Or should I look elsewhere? If I buy new I really don't have many choices. Audi is out of the question. The BMW and Jaguar AWD's are too small for me. I don't care for Suburu or Volvo.

Any advice would be appreciated!
  • magnetophonemagnetophone Member Posts: 605
    I'm sorry to hear that your Audi was unreliable - they're such lovely cars besides that one issue.

The Mercedes itself is not going to be unreliable if you make sure it has all its maintenance done - the problem is, the 4Matic system has not been one of M-B's strongest points. Are you set on having AWD?
  • lhcleunglhcleung Member Posts: 24
    Hi, everyone! Recently I have come to know that 'BMW and Honda shine in 2002 International Engine Oscars'. But the name of Mercedes Benz cars not even mentioned. I am just wondering how it is possible Mercedes Benz not included. Any information on this issue from anyone would be appreciated. I am driving a 2001 E320 and I believe that Benz has one of the world's best engine for this model. Not even mentioned in the Internation Engine Oscars review? It is hard to believe.
    Louis
    My 99 E320 4matic has about the same milage of that 98. Both cars have the same V6 engines and components except few small changes such as the radio and rear window brake light. I have driven this car in heavy snow, frozen lakes, mud and driving rain with no problems. In fact this car is so stable under harsh conditions that it provides its driver with a dangerous overconfidence. Low milage 98 E 4matics are so rare that you should not miss the occasion. Since it is still under warranty then I assumed it comes with the extended warranty for a at least two more years for peace of mind. Good Luck in your decision.
    Jean
    When the first MB V6 came out in 1998 it won good critics and made the Ward's ten best engines list. The engine itself looks reliable with plenty of reserve power. But the judges must have listened to the engine at idle and decided to add it to the competing diesel engines since it certainly does not qualify in the silent engines category. Only good sound deafening methods and excellent insulation prevent us from hearing the knocks of the valves inside the cabin. I thought My V6 noise was bad at idle until I heard the 02 S55 AMG. I hear it every morning as well as the mumbling of its owner, my neighbor. He would do whatever it takes to be one of the judges and voice a complaint louder than his engine.
    Jean
  • jstylejstyle Member Posts: 129
    My salesman called and said he will take my order for and E500 for delivery starting in early Sept. I am trading my 2000 S500 in for the car. The MBUSA website has the car colors and options to reserve a car for delivery. One thing I don't like about MB is if you take a look at the options page it is huge. Almost everything is a extra charge option. Prices aren't available but on the phone my sales guy said that the E500 w/sports package (a must in my opinion) and the options I added would probably run close to $73K. A warning for all, make sure you are sure what options you want when ordering a car because they really add up fast. One thing I stayed away from was the V60 phone. I heard this system has some bugs still and in a new car I can do without. The optional sound system upgrade sounds incredible. 12 speakers and surround sound with an in-dash changer (finally!!)...By the way I would recommend Distronic for anyone with a long commute or long distance travel. It really works well even in moderate at speed city freeway traffic. I tested it in the dealers S55 on the lot.
This discussion has been closed.