Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedans

Comments

• valueguyvalueguy Member Posts: 208
    The weather-stripping material around the plastic pieces on my windshield have started to bubble up. The dealer will replace both plastic pieces
    (the long black plastic piece at the bottom of the windshield) on my next visit. Also, I have many more paint chips on my front end than in any other vehicle I have ever owned. Next time around I am going to purchase the 3M product which protects against chips (invisible bra).

Only my Ford has required more service in 2 years than my E430. I sold the Ford Expedition for a Honda Odyssey. If it wasn't for my dealer service I would have sold/traded my '00E430 by now.
  • xrdrxrdr Member Posts: 2
    Recently got the first maintainence on my 00 e430. Just noticed today, that a low screeching noise occurs when turning the steering wheel. It occurs on turning in both directions. Very annoying noise. Nothing has shown up on the computer screen to indicate that anyting is wrong.
    Has anyone had a similar experience. Any comments would be appreciated.
  • microrepairmicrorepair Member Posts: 508
    In the last 6 months I have seen over a half-dozen E class autos with NO E-class logo on the trunk lid. Nada, nothing... What is the deal with that? Are they all accident victims where they chose not to put the chrome logo back?
  • livetodrivelivetodrive Member Posts: 104
    Removing the logo from the trunk lid is done for various reasons:
    - Some people think it's cool (or should I say phat!) to remove the nameplates from the cars. It's a way of making a personal statement.
    - Some people object to the Mercedes practice of identifying the engine in the car. By removing the E-320 badge, they may think people will not know if it the car has the 6 or 8 cyl. engine. The flaw with this thought is that if the badge is missing, I just assume it is an E-320.
    - There was one case on this board of an E-55 owner removing the badge to make the car more "stealthy". The E-55 has other cosmetic changes, though, such as the wheels, that make it easily identified.
  • cdimarco2cdimarco2 Member Posts: 2
    Hey there,

This weekend I was invited to test drive the E320 and E500 at a marketing event called E-Motion in Tarrytown NY. The car is so beautiful and awesome I really cannot wait to own one.
    The event was super well organized and had a tremendous turn out.
    Staff on hand was not very knowledgeable about the car overall (event marketers) but I did find one guy who worked for MB that was knowledageble and answered most of my questions.
  • rayscarrayscar Member Posts: 70
    cdimarco2 did you drive the E500? I have one on order that should be delivered in late October. It's pewter/stone, with the pano roof, rear window shade, Harmon Kardon surround souns system, factory CD changer, and E1 package. Any feedback on what I can expect based on actually seeing and driving the E? I can hardly wait until October!
  • mageshmagesh Member Posts: 33
    I recently purchased a 02 E320 & got the CD changer installed.

Now, I'm looking to replace the factory installed audio system with an aftermarket music system.

I was told, by a rep at a store, that it cannot be done & that I would need to replace the CD changer AND the audio system together.

Is this true.? Any ideas.?

Thanks,
    Magesh
    livetodrive:

Most of those thoughts crossed my mind too, but I find it hard to believe so many people have done that. I recently read a very brief article someplace where there have been some "gray market" E class cars brought into the country. From where or why, I don't recall, but the article mentioned that they might not have the logos on them. If that were true, I doubt you would want to remove the logo from your Offically imported E class..
  • cdimarco2cdimarco2 Member Posts: 2
    I certainly did drive the E 500. They had a 10 minute on road drive for the E 500 and a 5 minute 'on the grounds' drive for the E320. I have been following this car for the past year and it has lived up to my every expectation. I am tall 6'3" and I fit perfectly in the front and rear seats. The finish is very nice on the car - many people liked it better than the S class. The panoramic sun roof is awesome - need to add that to my options list. The leather interior is soft much nicer than on my ML430. Oh and the brake by wire system is great. A little sensitive at first but once you get used to it, I drove the car 6 times (spent all day in the 90 degree heat waiting in line though, it is an amazing braking system. They had a stock sound system in it which sounded very good so I can only imagine what the HK setup will sound like. Oh the ride is unbelievably smooth, I am coming from an SUV so my basis may not be the best but wow. The sport package wheels are beautiful but I didn't like the sport treatment on the interior. I wonder if you can just get the sport rims? The E500 has dual exhaust but the pipes do not extend beyond the rear bumper, you'll need a kit to do that alla CL500.
  • bmms8bmms8 Member Posts: 86
    $46,950 for the e320!!!! and only 54,850 for the e500!!!!!!!!
  • bigrobnhbigrobnh Member Posts: 114
    To the best of my knowledge, there is no simple replacement. The MB/Bose/Becker/Alpine system makes extensive use of fibre optics and, I believe, powered speakers. If you find a way, please post it here. I'd give alot to have a CD in my dash.

BTW, if you're planning on replacing the system, why buy the MB CD changer?

Regards,
    BigRob.
    Thanks for the feedback cdimarco2. I'm having a little buyer's remorse about my 500. Forgot about the lux and gas guzzler tax and the base went up $1K which is already much higher than a 2002 E430. I'll probably stick with it and cut some other expenses. Everything I read about this car is all positive.

Thanks again.
  • john01john01 Member Posts: 246
    it is 0% starting 1/1/2003, I believe.
  • r1_97r1_97 Member Posts: 181
    When will pricing detail be available for the new E and its options?
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    I'm interested in comments from those who have driven the new E320 and especially E500.

I compared last fall and elected not to replace my sedan. However, I am reconsidering for this fall/winter/spring since I like the current 5-series and don't like the direction BMW has gone with the 7. When I compared the 530i to the E320 and 540i 6-speed to the E430, although the E offered more room, I found the BMWs to be tighter in handling and steering. Both the 530 and 540 were equipped with BMW's "sport package". The E430 was too, but I don't believe the suspension was any different, just the tires and aesthetics. Has the new E improved in these areas? Is the new E "sport" really any different in handling? Thanks.
    Here are the base prices. Option list is to long to post.

E32 is $46,950, $2k less than last year (less standard features).

E500 $54,850, $1K more than last year (more standard features)

Don't know why Edmunds doesn't have this info yet.
  • drjyothidrjyothi Member Posts: 12
    i have a 1999 e320 with 46K mi. the warranty will expire in a few months. Doe anyone have any experience buying an extended warranty for this car and if it's worthwhile. I may keep the car a few more years.
    should i expect it to be very reliable?

thanks - drj
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    As with most expenses, it's going to be a cost vs. risk analysis for you personally. Maybe otheres can share with you what problems they've experienced down the line in ownership, but you also might want to weigh the cost of purchasing an extended warranty at this point.

A question about purchasing an extended warranty would be perfect for our Finance, Warranty, & Insurance board.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

hey rays car, i already posted them :), im fom mbworld to, i dont know if you have seen me though
  • xcaliberxcaliber Member Posts: 4
    Just bought a 00' E430 without a spare tire. Can someone tell me what is the size of the tire and rim size. Also if an ordinary steel rim with 5 holes will suffice? Thanks.
  • mbe2003mbe2003 Member Posts: 12
    Here are the option prices I got from my dealer for the 2003 E320:

Factory CD (in-dash) $400
    Keyless Go - $1015
    V60 Phone - $1595
    Panorama Roof - $1500
    Power Rear Shade - $440
    Rear Side Shades - $320
    Premium Sound - $700

It looks like most options went up about 2% over last year. At least the CD changer is finally in the dash. However, I have been told that the car comes with a single CD player standard.
    mbe2003 looks like the same pricing I got for my E500
  • rowlandjrowlandj Member Posts: 254
    You should re-visit the E this year as there is now rack-and-pinion steering and a totally new air-matic suspension. Both have made a dramatic change in the feel of the E and there is no way to compare this new model to the existing E's. There is also a new braking system which may or may not be as noticable in day-to-day driving but again it may be worth your while to look.

JR
    those options are the same on every car...except if the e500 comes standard with any of them....and those arent teh whole sheet man...there is a whole lot more..e1,e2,e3,parktronic..aimatic...metallic paint...there is a lot more
  • jean7of9jean7of9 Member Posts: 192
    I bought last month the 3 years extended warranty for my 99 E320 4matic. My present milage is 44k km (28k miles). Even at this low milage I wanted to tag excellent repairs to peace of mind. Over this period the warranty will pay for itself multiple folds.
    Jean
  • mall610mall610 Member Posts: 24
    Did not buy an E in 2002. Was disappointed in both ride and road noise. However, did not want to spend 80k to get a "S". Has anyone driven both 2002 and 2003 and have a good comparison.
    Also...need the command system which I understand will not be out until Jan. Anyone have any advance info on new system. The old one was a joke compared to Lexus. Thanks.....
  • mbnut1mbnut1 Member Posts: 403
    The current E has rack and pinion
  • wnielwniel Member Posts: 97
    The tire size is identical to the tires on the 2000 E430. It was not a space saver tire. The existing wheel of the spare was a limited mileage wheel and only made for a maximum of something like 5K miles. I don't remember the exact mileage but is listed in the owners manual. With regard to any other wheel, be sure that it's a 17" wheel and has the proper width to accommodate the wide low profile tire.
    Wally
  • mbdrivermbdriver Member Posts: 426
    Actually, any wheel that fits/accommodates the lug bolt pattern/dimensions will be adequate as a spare. About a year+ ago, I took my 2000 E320 to the dealer for service. Months later my neighbor was comparing his new BMW 530i with my MB, and when we opened my spare tire compartment, it was empty!

My service advisor said that happens (theft) every three or four years. He tried for an immediate replacement and finally located an E-320 wheel from a totaled E in their body shop. It's a standard 16" E-Class wheel that will work fine as a spare with my upgraded 17" wheels and 235/45ZR-17 tires.
    When are the 2003's going to show up? The dealers here in the Seattle area give a range of August 25 to September 10. August 25 is just 4 days away....can't believe no one knows the exact date. Is it different all over the Country or are they "unveiled" all on the same day?
    Tough to get much information here even though we have 2 large dealers in the Seattle Area. Actually there are 3 dealers within a 50 mile radius. Anyone know??
    the actual date is monday august 26th. That doesnt mean that they will get cars, depends on how big they are. But that is the realease date. Also, your dealer should have all the info, like prices, brochures, and everything else to do with the car, so hope on the morning of the 26th, your dealer has a big semi parked in front of it
  • aldo10aldo10 Member Posts: 1
    I checked several NYC-area dealers on 8/23 - launch day - who all quoted MSRP for new 2003 E-320. Not willing to sell for less. Does anyone know of dealers anywhere in Northeast or Mid-Atlantic willing to sell for less?
    yea man, no one is going to give any back..ppl will buy them if they are over msrp....there are too many ppl waiting for this car than they can give out......u should deposit a car before the 26....after ppl will se them on the streets they will go crazy.......i deposied my car in feb....and i am getting it in oct....so hurry up man
    I agree, you won't find a new E for less than MSRP anywhere if you find it that cheap. This time next year you will see discounts. I didn't want to wait so I orded mine knowing I'd pay sticker but I'll get to enjoy it immediately rather than wait. The extra money was worth it to me. Can't wait til October when mine E500 arrives!
  • wilflstswilflsts Member Posts: 3
    I ordered a E320 in July with purchase price set at MSRP. I have seen actual cars August 25th at
    Dealer Sales Meeting. They will be worth the wait. My car was off the line on Aug. 5th. According to my sales person ship was to arrive on Aug. 24th. So they should be at dealers the first week of Sept. Ordered a Platinum Blue Met. with the Sport Pkg. as shown in the small hand out brochure. I don't think a better deal than MSRP will be out there for quit a while.
  • rab5rab5 Member Posts: 12
    Changing my own oil, as always. This time, rather than getting under the car, I will pump through the dip stick. Question: Can I attach my oil pump to the TOP of the dip stick tube and pump oil through the tube? (does the tube go all the way to bottom of the oil pan?) Or, do I need to use my own tube inserted down the dip stick tube? Many thanks..........
  • iwantaporcheiwantaporche Member Posts: 5
    First off let me apologize if this question is dumb. I do not mean to insult all MB owners. I am looking at buying a used 96 or 97 e320 for my wife. Is the reliability true when people say these cars will last into the six figure mileage range and still run good? Thanks for the replies and again sorry for what will probably be a no brain question to MB owners.
  • dustoff156dustoff156 Member Posts: 6
    To IWANTAPORCHE,

Taxi drivers in Frankfurt, Munich, and Stuttgart routinely drive their Mercedez 250,000-300,000 miles before the first overhaul on the engine. That's in stop and go traffic. Unless you live somewhere near the ocean or in a high snow area with lots of salt use, you should be able to get that kind of mileage easily here in the States. I'm planning on at least 200K on my E model before trading it.
  • footiefootie Member Posts: 636
    Hi iwantaporche -

I think that dustoff156 is right. It's true for many cars today that they will run into the 200K range. For example, my daughter's 1986 Toyota Camry LE is right at 200K now. I know several people that have kept MB's that long too.

What you need to get comfortable with is how much it will cost to do that next 100K on a MB. Parts prices can be VERY high and unless you have a very good private MB mechanic, you will get soaked by the dealers.

So, if you are intent on the 96/97 E-class, the primary issue will be the service history on the the MB you buy. I always recommend that folks buy used cars from 'loving' owners with service records. A car with a one dealership or one mechanic history is often a good choice.

Call every auction house in your area and tell them you are interested in picking up an E-class from an estate sale. Sometimes you get lucky.

You should also research the particular year MB through consumer reports and places like Mercedesproblems.com. Certain model year MB's seem more problem prone than others and the whole last decade has not been a bright spot in MB's quality history. None of their automobiles has made the JDPower Initial Quality top 3 in the last seven or eight years as I remember.

Good luck. If you find a good one, they are indeed keepers!
  • tomotomotomotomo Member Posts: 57
    I have a Topsider Oil Change Vacuum pump that I used to change oil in my 01 E320. In order to extract the oil from the oil pan via a vacuum device I believe that you must insert a small tube into the dip stick tube until it reaches the bottom of the pan. I think the oil is actually pushed out by atmospheric pressure since the pump produces a negative pressure inside the pump's reservoir. Anyway, mine did an excellent job.
  • sddlwsddlw Member Posts: 361
    We've had 3 MBs that we have kept up over the years. The 96/97 Es are fine automobiles, however a few cautions. This was the first 2 years of production of the E-class that was produced, with some modifications through the 2002 model year. In general, the first model year or two are the most problematic. Second, it is very easy to keep one of these cars going 200+K miles. But it is not without cost. I would budget no less than $200/mo average to keep an E-class on the road once it is out of warranty. This should cover scheduled and unscheduled maintanence and wear out items, but not insurance, etc. Especially the 2nd 100K miles. Third, find yourself a qualified, trusted independent mechanic. The reason you are buying an older car is most likely the expense is so high with a newer car. Same comparision goes for dealer vs independent. And last, be absolutley religious about scheduled maintanence. A blown engine on an E-class is easily $10K to fix.
  • mbdrivermbdriver Member Posts: 426
    For what it's worth, my wife has a 1977 300D with 97,000+ miles. Everything on the 25-year-old car is original, except the transmission was rebuilt about 10 years ago ($1100.00 then). It's garaged when not on the road, and the oil is changed twice a year.

I recently spent $350 for a transmission fluid change, oil change, alignment and a few minor things. The cooling system is flushed and replenished every several years.

Our Mercedes mechanic, the ex-service manager of a Mercedes dealership, owns his own local repair shop, and his prices are significantly lower than a dealer's. I keep several coats of Zaino on the paint, which looks new. The car drives and handles much like my 2000 E-320 and is a pleasure to drive. My wife has threatened divorce or worse if ever I wanted to sell it.

The secret to long life is regular preventive maintenance. Hope this helps.
  • ohloneohlone Member Posts: 55
    I got my slick E320 media book last weekend and was impressed enough with the looks.

I was a little disapointed that horsepower hadn't increased much. Do you think MBZ will do with this redesign like they did in 1998 when the fresh design got a new engine the second year out?
  • jstylejstyle Member Posts: 129
    I just got a ride in the 2003 E320 here with my salesman (a friend as well) from a drop point to the dealer for its unveiling. I must say very nicely done. I've ordered a E500 so besides power and the airmatic suspension I got a taste. I must say it feels a little harsh on the freeway joints. It isn't is soft as the outgoing model. Also I wish they used the steering wheel and instrument cluster from the S or at least a modified version because I really didn't like the wheel and gauges. Other than that it should be a home run even though with desirable options the car really climbs in price. Especially the E500. Salesman told me the average selling price will be close to 65-67K...
    Haven't got a ride yet and was very disappointed to hear from jstyle that the ride had not improved. Sounds like it was harder than the 02 which I thought was not up to a high end car standard. Did not buy in 2002 due to road noise and harsh ride. They keep telling me that if I want a soft luxury ride I will have to spend 80+k for a S.
    I think that 65k should give you a very nice ride with soft and comfortable seats. The Lexus does this but I want a MB. Am I the only one who feels this way?
    All new MBZ's have overinflated tires when they are shipped in order to keep from developing flat spots in the tires during the long trip. Over inflated tires will make the ride of any vehicle feel much harsher, however, on a E320, keeping the air prerssure at 32 PSI will extend the life of the tires providing the alignment is set correctly. With regard to road noise, this is caused by some of the aggresive tire tred on some makes and design of tires. This shold no way reflect on the quality of the car.
  • jgraveljgravel Member Posts: 54
    Can anyone comment on the AWD as it relates to driving in the snow. The car would be for my wife whose used to driving a Land Cruiser.
  • footiefootie Member Posts: 636
    I stopped by my local MB dealer after getting the little gray booklet with the nice pictures over the weekend.

The pictures don't really convey the look of being there.

To me the new E looks like a C Class in E-dimensions, especially the side profile view. From the rear quarter, it also looks like an S-type with a shorter trunk (but nothing like the "did you forget the trunk or something" on the shorty C-coupe).

It's much rounder and fleshy looking than the current E, kind of like the Jags look these days.

It looked glitzy too, not so subtle any more. Chrome strips on the door in the body side mouldings look destined for dings. The turn signal crystal strip in the rear view mirrors is hard to get used to, kind of distracting.
    Aaarrgghhh! I may not be able to sleep tonite due to nightmares thinking of that Buick LeSabre I owned 4 years ago. It had the absolute WORST seats of any automobile I've ever sat in.! They were a Chiropractor's Dream !!! I traded it on my 96 E320 and have never looked back, even though my E does not have lumbar adjustment.! Best seats? For me anyway, the 1988 Mazda MX-6 had nice firm seats with lumber adjustment and 9 (yes, NINE) other adjustments including adjustable kidney wings. What awesome seats! I could drive for 4-5 hours at a shot and still feel refreshed after 10 hours a day.! That LeSabre caused me to walk like a cripple for an hour after just driving it for one hour..! Please don't ever mention Buick seats again !! Pretty please ???
    The E Class AWD is the same system as in the ML. While I have never driven the E Class AWD, I also have a ML and it is awesome in the snow. I have read other owners comments regarding the AWD E Class and they have very good comments about it, although they don't have the clearance the ML has.
    I hope that this helps.
This discussion has been closed.