Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedans

Comments

• stvirstvir Member Posts: 13
    Press both front and rear window 'Defrost' buttons ... works like a charm!
  • desert2ridedesert2ride Member Posts: 1
    hi there, i'm getting ready to trade in my 1996 SL500 for a 2003 E320. for those of you who recently bought a 2003 e320, are you satisfied with your purchase? any surprises? also, did you pay msrp or did you get any kind of rebate? thanks for your help, i need some last minute reassurance ;-)
  • drtomdcdrtomdc Member Posts: 7
    I'm in the market for a CLK or E-class. The dealer was willing to come about $800-1k off the e-class. No such luck on the CLK Coupe. the convertible however, dealer willing to come off $3k.

eclass is a great ride. looks younger than the old design.
  • monakhmonakh Member Posts: 16
    There is plenty of room for negotiation on the E class as many folks over at mbworld forums have suggested in their posts.

I picked up my well-loaded Silver E500 from MB Alexandria, VA for 2K off of MSRP and I believe there has been talk of dealer holdback so the figure can potentially go higher. Shop around and talk to the Internet reps of the various dealerships, you will find that a little bit of legwork will yield some savings.
  • dunninladunninla Member Posts: 33
    niggling problems. To be surprised at this stretches credulity. Fortunately they are minor annoyances that the dealer can easily fix, but, dude, come ON, why do you feign surprise at this?

I am more surprised at people who buy first year cars :)
  • mall610mall610 Member Posts: 24
    There has been a lot of discussion on Dealer Discounts on the MBForum site. There is a lot of detail including dealer names and discounts to be expected in different areas. Worth looking at if you haven't ordered yet. Lot of interesting discussions on this site.

http://forums.mbworld.org/forums/index.php?referrerid=5473

• matthewhmatthewh Member Posts: 19
    It is not probable but I asked anyway. Does any one have a DVD player installed in their E class (not in dash DVD) in the rear right behind the sunroof? I have a little boy who keep asking about this DVD player.
    Thanks,
    Matt
  • clark217clark217 Member Posts: 25
    Martin [Haspelbein]
    My Mercedes parts dept gave me the following list of bulbs and prices for the instrument cluster:

Part No., No. bulbs, Dealer Price, Mercedesshop.com Price
    001-544-55-94, 2, 6.75, 2.10
    000000-000955, 2, 6.75, N/A
    000000-000953, 2, 7.65, 1.40 (4.19)
    910141-000000, 3, 7.23, N/A
    002-544-19-94, 3, 13.60, N/A
    910146-000000, 3, 18.00, N/A

I entered each of the Part Nos. above at Mercedesshop and it gave me the prices you see above. N/A means nothing was listed for that part. Part No 000000-000953 showed two bulbs for that part number, hence the two prices. I am planning to replace the bulbs this Friday and I will try to make a diagram of where each of the bulbs goes. BTW, I found out that there is supposed to be a Mercedes Hook tool which is used to remove the instrument cluster without removing the lower dashboard cover. I am trying to find someone who carries it now (My Mercedes dealer says he doesn't sell Mercedes tools-period). Will let everyone know what I find.
    Lavelle

PS Sorry for the appearance of the table. All of the spaces except one were deleted when the message posted, so I have inserted commas between the data.
    I found the hook tool at SamstagSales.com for $24.99. Mercedes part no. 140 589 02 33 00.
  • haspelbeinhaspelbein Member Posts: 227
    ...that tool would have saved me some time. Guess I went about it the Neanderthal way. I suppose these hooks must fit through the tiny openings between the cluster and the wood veneer.

Yes, most dealers don't sell tools. It's somewhat annoying.

Hey, at the cost of the bulbs, I would just by the tool and pull the instrument cluster as you need it, and just replaced the expired bulbs.

I checked the benzbin. The prices and availability are similar. But at least one bulb came up as a bulb and socket.

I don't think I remember, which bulb in your instrument cluster actually went out ?
    Thanks for the info about mbworld, Monakh and Mall610.

I will definitely check that out. It's between the CLK coupe 320 and the E320 for me.
    Martin H.

Yes, I had tentatively come to the conclusion to just replace the burnt out bulbs, since the hook tool will hopefully make removal of the instrument cluster a simple process. I will report on my experience with it. The burnt out bulbs are one (or more?) behind the right face of the speedometer and one behind the clock time in the multifunction display.
  • zachmbenzfvrzachmbenzfvr Member Posts: 25
    I understand how it works but where do the two glass plates go? Can they both be opened at the same time making it so there is no roof? Or can only one be opened at a time? Anyone with a new E-Class that has this option, or anyone that knows, please respond.

Thank you
  • rowlandjrowlandj Member Posts: 254
    The back panel is stationary and the front glides up and over the back when open.

JR
  • wstehwsteh Member Posts: 8
    Mark,

I'm 6'2" and like to sit upright. In any car with a sunroof my hair will touch the roof and it is very annoying. The resale is not an issue if you are uncomfortable every time you drive the car.

Since I'm not in the market till spring, it is interesting to note that Volvo has removed the standard sunroof from several of their cars in the last month or two. However the Lexus GS300 and BMW 5-series seem to have a standard sunroof beginning this year. :(

Regards,

Wayne
  • mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    Wayne, I'm surprised that your head will touch the roof in an E-class, even with a sunroof. 6'2" is not that tall. Are you putting the seat all of the way down? Anyway, I hope you find what you are looking for.

Mark
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • monakhmonakh Member Posts: 16
    I am about 6'1" and I have had to move my seat way up just so I can see the hood and I still find I am a few inches from the sunroof (I have the pano).

So, I too, am surprised that 6'2" hits the roof.

By the way, I love my E500, and I am keeping my finger crossed about this one not being a first year experiment. Mine looks flawless, and I hope it acts it too.

--monakh--
  • jfz219jfz219 Member Posts: 63
    The talk about limited headroom reminds me of my first experience with the seats in my 2000 E320. The leg room was OK, but not great. Then I noticed that the passenger seat went back much farther than the drivers side. Moving the seat all the way forward re calibrated the controls and allowed the seat to move all the way back. This may be the reason that some of you have little headroom and others are puzzled. Try adjusting the seat all the way up and down. This may change the range of adjustment of the seat.
  • jfz219jfz219 Member Posts: 63
    The original MXV4 tires are nearing the end of their service (39,500 miles). I prefer a quiet ride with good rain performance over cornering prowess. Should I be looking at the Turanza LS-H, or the RE950 instead of the new MXV4-Plus? (Size 215/55-16)
  • sddlwsddlw Member Posts: 361
    Tire Rack and some of the folks in the discussion board "Aftermarket Accessories-Tires, Tires, Tires" rates the Turanza LS tires very highly. But these are relatively new tires on the market, with not much history to draw on. The ratings across the board for comfort and handling were higher with the Turanza LS-Zs than the Turanza LS-H. The only negative for the Turanza is snow traction. Check out

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/index.jsp

and look under "grand touring all season".

• wmbiffwmbiff Member Posts: 11
    Has anyone knowledge of integrating a replacement phone (even if it means changing the wiring or existing harness) into the factory installed stereo/phone. I have replaced (at $600) one lost handset (motorola Star Tac) in my Y2K E class; and my spouse has a 99 C class with phone in need of repair. Hers is an older phone model (big clunky, and not great as hand held even when new) but the dealer still wants over $600 to replace.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    WB
  • rayscarrayscar Member Posts: 70
    Hi wsteh. I'm 6'2" and I have a pano roof in my E500 and there is plenty of room above my head. Maybe your seat is not all the way down or it's motion is restricted. I love the pano roof. It allows so much light into the car and my kids love having glass above the back seat. It's my favorite option. Good luck.
    I, like wsteh, like to sit up straight when driving as it's better for my back. I guess it depends on how you have your hair that it will graze the top of the cars with sunroofs. I have the same problem, as most cars, I can't fit into without whacking my head against the sunroof. The mercedes cars I seem to have no problem. Even in a CLK cabriolet!
    Other cars I've tried that I've had no problem are:G35 sedan, A4, A6, CLK, E-class. Haven't tried the BMW's, but for sure, I don't fit in a 3 series. Maybe I'll try a 5.
  • mbdrivermbdriver Member Posts: 426
    Has it occurred to anyone that a headroom problem for someone 6'2" could be related to a person having relatively short legs and a very long torso? All persons who are 6'2" tall are not built the same.

Just my 2-cents worth -- I'm 5'11" and have NO headroom problem.
  • aggie76aggie76 Member Posts: 266
    I'm one of those short legs (32" inseam), long torso guys and have loads of fun finding headroom with most cars. It does happen.
  • kbharris1kbharris1 Member Posts: 3
    Hi
    I'm currently on a search to find my first MB. I'm driven to the E320 4-matic as my preferred vehicle. I have seen and driven several of them and found one today that I really liked. What I noticed different about this one is that the leather seats were solid leather, unlike all the other 2000 models I've seen have solid leather edges, but perforated center sections. Can anyone tell me why those seats are different than all the others?
    thanks!
  • footiefootie Member Posts: 636
    Kbharris - you didn't ask for this advice, but I usually give it to anyone in the forums that are indicating that they are buying their 'first vehicle' of a brand with high maintenance costs. If you already know what follows - go for it and enjoy.

MB's are expensive to maintain outside of original warranty. Parts and labor are high. 4Matic means more parts to care for and potentially higher service costs. A good extended warranty usually pays for itself.

Consumer Reports has the E Class as 'below average' in reliablity for the 99 - 00 model years. 01 was 'average'. Extended warranties for MB's are good math and need to be factored into your ownership costs.

See if you can get the service records on the car and a StarMarked MB warranty till 100K. StarMarked is a very comprehensive warranty program offered by MB dealers. If you are buying from a dealership you should be able to get it for <$2K as I remember. If you aren't, take the car by a MB dealer to see if you can get one before you buy.

Good luck and enjoy!
  • kbharris1kbharris1 Member Posts: 3
    Footie
    Thanks for the tip. Yes, I have already taken an Extended Warranty into consideration. I'd like to get a Starmark Car, but it's hard to find one with the options I'm looking for (all of them ;) ). I was unaware that you could get MB to protect a car they didn't sell on the Starmark Program. I'll call my dealer today and see what they a have to say.
    However, do you by chance happen to know what I'm talking about with the seats being a different leather?
    I am not that familiar with the different leather styles.

There was a version of interior trim (lower priced) called MB-Tex, and I think I remember that it was perforated on the back and the seating area but not on the sides, but I am not sure. I test drove a 99 E300TD a couple of years ago with it, and it was indistinguisable from the leather to me.

Just a guess.....good luck.
    kbharris1 - I think you might be mistaken about the leather in the 2000 E320 you're looking at. I have the same car, with leather seats, but only the seating area and back are perforated leather. The sides of the seats, I believe, are vinyl. The only other leather area is the covering of the side air bags in each door.

My interior is "ash" (light gray). I use Lexol leather cleaner followed by Lexol leather conditioner about twice each year, and a McGuires high-quality vinyl treatment on the dash and all other vinyl areas of the interior, which still looks new.

Hope this helps. And I agree with footie -- find a Starmark car from a MB dealer with the extended warranty to 100,000 miles! IMHO, it's worth spending the extra few bucks!
  • linardlinard Member Posts: 59
    Just a quick clarification issue, I'm absolutely sure that MB uses leather for the whole seat in cars with full leather. The exception are the ones that have part leather standard (e.g. the C240 and the E320 wagon).
  • hpilot1hpilot1 Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2000 E320, and I bought Yokohama AVS dB 255/55ZR16 tires from Tire Rack for $101. I love them - they are fantastic! They are one of the quietest performance tires you can buy (dB). Check them out here: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=AVS+dB
  • jawandajawanda Member Posts: 30
    linard is correct about the full leather with a couple of exceptions. Along with the E320 wagon, the E300 diesels also had the non-leather (MBTex) as standard. For what its worth, its pretty damn hard to tell the difference, the MBTex is the best "fake leather" I've seen. And, my local dealer claims it has better wear properties, so it's in the wagon as a more "rugged" surface.
    linard, jawanda -- thanks for the info. Makes sense.
  • mgriffin4mgriffin4 Member Posts: 5
    I've got a 2003 E320 on order. I'm considering the larger 245/45 R17 H tires for it that come standard with the E500. I'd stay with the standard dual spoke rims as opposed to the 5-spoke.

Does anyone know of a reason why this would be problematic? Note that I'm not getting the airmatic suspension.

My desire for the larger tires is purely cosmetic. They appear to fill the tire well better than the 225/55 R16s that come standard with the E320. My only concern is that they will somehow negatively impact the ride.

By the way, I'm not talking about the optional high performance tires. Anyone have any insight?
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    I might be concerned about the difference in ride quality and treadlife of the larger low profile tires. I say "might" because I do not own or have specific experience with the new E-class. However, in the case of the old E-class, a friend has a 2001 E430 "Sport" and he has complained about the short treadlife of the larger tires that came with the sport package. Apparently, Mercedes did not upgrade the suspension and the lower profile tires tend to wear on the edges because of body roll. In the case of BMW's "sport" packages on the 5-series, the suspension is upgraded as well, not just the tires.

Perhaps the new E class suspension produces less body roll than the old one so that the tire upgrade you are considering would be OK.

I would also be a little concerned about the difference in ride quality, given that the E320 is a "luxury" car. My Honda S2000 uses "50" series W-rated tires on the rear and although that's great for a sports car, it's not the ride I would want with a luxury sedan.
  • stvirstvir Member Posts: 13
    A tire's treadlife depends on its treadwear rating and not on its size/profile. For example, a high-performance/sport "W" rated tire will wear much faster than an "H" rated tire of the same size/profile.

When buying a tire, look for it's treadwear rating ... the higher, the better.
    So if both tires are H rated, with one being the 245/45 R17 H and the other the 225/55 R16 H, I should expect similar wear?

Is there any other reason, assuming no difference in wear in the tires above, that the larger tires would be undesirable?
  • microrepairmicrorepair Member Posts: 508
    Like aggie76, I've got a 32" inseam, which I never thought was "short".. Overall I'm 6'3" and have lots of headroom issues with cars, mostly the luxury ones.! I fit fine in my 96 E but cannot sit properly in the new S or the new E with a sunroof. The newer BMW 5 is comfy but the Audi A4 is a joke. I can't even get far enough into it to sit down. The Infiniti G35 is line to line with my noggin, but the Nissan Altima is fine. Thumbs down on the XJ6 and the BMW's from the mid 90's. However, I have tons of room in my wife's Matrix and a Neon and many other small cars including the prior chassis C-Class (the new C is marginal like the E and S). So what vehicles do the pro football and basketball players buy with their millions of dollars? They sure don't fit into most luxury cars, so they must all be driving Excursions and Suburbans??
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    The general rule is that the higher the performance rating, the shorter the treadlife.

A great resource for researching tires is tirerack.com. They have lots of information wrt to proper tires for your vehicle and real life consumer feedback.

As for the ratings listed on the side of the tire, keep in mind that those numbers are valid only within the specific tire manufacturer. A 420 tread life on a Michelin is not equal to a 420 tread life on a Goodyear. Also, tread life is dependent on proper tire care, inflation pressure, road conditions, and your style of driving.

Good Luck.
    So if both tires are H rated, with one being the 245/45 R17 H and the other the 225/55 R16 H, I should expect similar wear?

Is there any other reason, assuming no difference in wear in the tires above, that the larger tires would be undesirable?
    hpilot1:

I had the AVS db's on my 96E last year and, when new, were the quietest tires I've ever owned. But by the time they turned 10K miles they were almost as noisy as my snow tires. Yokohama let me trade them in for the AVID V rated model which now have almost 10K and are still very quiet. I've noticed no difference in performance either.

How many miles do you have on the AVS db's so far? Please let us know if you have the same problem I had.

Did you buy 255's or 215's ??
  • hpilot1hpilot1 Member Posts: 8
    microrepair,

Sorry to hear about the problems you have had with the dBs. I only have about 2000 miles on them so far, so now I am afraid I will have the same problem as you later on. Sorry about the typo on the size - I have 225s. Here is a quote from the Tire Rack that may explain the situation:

"The directional tread design combines several key design elements which enhance the AVS dB&#146;s capabilities. A continuous center block provides uninterrupted rubber-to-road contact while "tusk" shaped grooves minimize noise and maximize water drainage. Additionally, all of the tread block sizes and shapes are designed specifically to help neutralize one another&#146;s noise patterns when new.

However, one of the drawbacks of a directional tread design is that it limits the options in the ways that the tires may be rotated. Since directional tires must always roll in one direction to maximize their hydroplaning resistance and wet traction capabilities, without remounting them on their wheels they can only be rotated from front-to-rear on one side of the car. Without rigid adherence to maintaining correct inflation pressures, tire rotation and vehicle alignment, this limitation can lead directional tires, include the AVS dB, to experience irregular "heel and toe" wear which causes the tread blocks to wear unevenly. Heel and to wear will increase the noise level as the miles add up. This condition is typically engineered on vehicles equipped with independent rear suspensions whose alignment setting specifications call for negative camber, such as BMW, Lexus and Mercedes, etc."
    I upgraded my 2000 E320 to 17" x 7.5 Original Equipment MB Style E wheels (5-spoke beauties)and 235/45ZR-17 Yoko AVS dB tires almost 10,000 miles ago (when the car had about 6,000 miles). I'm completely happy with the results, including appearance (terrific), ride quality (very slightly harsher), handling (noticeably improved), and noise (very quiet).

I'm due for a tire rotation and have been conscientious about keeping 34 to 36 psi in all four tires -- recommended by many experts to maximize tread wear. I would estimate that I'll get at least 15,000 miles more on the tires for a total of at least 25,000, and possibly much more. I don't take corners at break-neck speeds, but I occasionally drive 70 to 90 mph on Interstates.

Hope this helps.
    E Class inventory at one dealership in Boston continues to creep up, offering nearby shoppers a chance to wheel and deal and not fall prey to the MSRP trap by ordering a car.

The best overhang seems to continues to be at Herb Chambers ( $1 billion sales group selling about everything including MB ).

They now have 65 E Class cars showing in online inventory on their two lots. There are 34 new 2003 320 E's and 22 E500's. There appears to be a wide variety of options and colors available, given the spread on pricing. The "short supply, better get your order in now, thank you for the deposit" song is hard to play here.

The other 9 cars are a few left over 2002 E320 sedans and wagons and a couple of 2003 E320 wagons.

Given the $4500 profit margin in these cars per Edmunds, there seems to be an awful good chance to get what you are shopping for without waiting for a build and ship and pay well under MSRP. MB had a record month shipping E Class cars to dealers in October, but as these lot inventory bubbles take a while to work themselves out, a sharp buyer can get a new car at a much better price.

They ran a "Were Dealing' ad in the Sunday paper and leases of $499/mo on new E's. (That must take some fuzzy math, a big tax cut and serious economic incentives to work out).

Good luck and good shopping.
  • petepie1petepie1 Member Posts: 25
    kbharris--try to figure out if the car has leather or MB Tex, since the MB Tex was cheaper (you want to have an accurate value on it). Although if it does have the MB Tex, don't be disappointed, I have a 1990 190E with MB Tex seats, and they are indestructible. No tears or wear spots, no discoloration (they're dark blue), and they come clean with a damp soapy cloth, I've even used Formula 409 on them for stubborn marks.
    This sounds like a good example of a great technology from MB that they now intentionally keep out of their cars since it BOTH costs less and lasts longer.

If you go to the MB world wide English language web site for E-class and look at the three different trim levels, there's no mention of a 'leather' interior even in the highest-level Avant Garde models. I am sure it's available, but apparently elsewhere you have a much better choice on interior coverings.

I can just hear the MB marketing bumpkin now: "Why, customers in America demand our fine cow hides in every car we sell".

Get the mirror, say "Duh?"
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    I am surprised that there is an "H" rated 245/45 17" tire available for the E320. "H" is essentially the lowest speed rating available for modern luxury / sport sedans. Yet "45" is a quite low profile that is normally associated with performance tires. Seems like an odd tire specification.

As a previous poster suggested, the previous E class suspension was not really designed to handle very low profile tires. "Enthusiastic" driving around corners or on twisty roads could cause edge wear and significantly reduce the life of the tire. It doesn't matter what the speed rating is. A "45" series tire has considerably less sidewall flex than a 55 or 60 series and the "lean" or body roll of the car around corners will cause the edge wear. You don't need to take corners at "breakneck" speed, either. If you can feel the body roll, you are likely wearing the edge of 45 series tires. In the old E, I felt body roll come on around corners and curves considerably sooner than in my former 540i 6-speed. I haven't driven the new E320 without the airmatic suspension, but the E500 with it seemed like a decent improvement. In the case of my current M5, I expect to get close to 25,000 miles out of my 40 & 35 series "Z" rated tires because the suspension does a very good job of keeping the car flat. Putting those kind of tires on a standard (i.e. non-sport) 5-series or E class would spell disaster. The most severe example I am aware of was the Lexus GS400. When it first came out, many buyers (like a business associate of mine) opted for the 17" wheel and low profile tire package for looks. The car's suspension was simply not up to the task. Many GS400 owners were getting less than 10,000 miles out of the optional tires due to edge wear.

If you drive relatively conservatively, you should be fine. But still do not expect to get the same life out of 245/45's that you would have out of 225/55's no matter what the speed ratings or treadwear indexes are.
    hpilot1:

Thanks for posting that paragraph; it was interesting reading. The tire dealer suggested that alignment was the problem without explaining why. And in mounting my 3 year old Nokian directional snow tires yesterday, noticed that the lugs on them also had the same sawtooth wear pattern as the db's.. I didn't mount the snows last year, (really warm winter up here) but had an alignment done about 2 months before getting rid of the db's last spring. Apparently there was an alignment problem, aggravated by directional tires. The new AVID's are wearing just fine, but they are not directional tires.
    epn2 makes lots of sense in his post about tire wear with a 45 series tire, but my experience as related in post # 4300 has been quite different regarding wear. As I'd mentioned, I have 235/45 ZR-17 Yoko AVS dB tires on my 2000 E320 and they're wearing very well. Occasionally I do drive aggressively on twisting roads, but most of my travel is a mix of urban and highway driving.

The 245/45 17" tires are a mere 10 millimeters wider than my 235s, so there shouldn't be much difference. Also, with an "H" speed rated tire, the rubber compound should not be as soft and therefore should wear better than a "Z" speed rated tire.

My advice -- go for the 17" wheels if that's what you want. The difference in tire wear should be acceptable unless you drive extremely aggressively.
This discussion has been closed.