Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedans

Comments

• jdjimenezjdjimenez Member Posts: 19
    I fell in love with the 1999 E-320 and finally got my wife to look at the E-320 tonight. I was a little surprised at the look of the rear of the car, not what I expected. I may decide to look for a 2002 E-320, more Mercedes like to me.

James
  • mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    jdjimenez---- In the 2000-2002 model year, the E-class had 1,700 changes. Most you wouldn't notice but the front hood is about an inch lower, the front bumper is smoother looking as it meets the headlights and grille, the rear trunk lid has a sharper crease, the tail lights are different, the side mirrors have turning signal indicators in them, the steering wheel has radio controls and other functions. In 2001 and 2002, the sunroof has auto-open. On the 2000, you have to hold the button.
    I heard that starting with the 2000 E-class, Mercedes used better interior materials (I've never checked it myself)

2000 or newer have all of the service included under the warranty period.

Mark
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • houstonmerchoustonmerc Member Posts: 65
    I usually don't complain about things, but the service on my 2000 E320 (and our 2002 Audi A6 by the way) has been terrible. I don't like to lump companies together, but I wonder (comments welcome) about whether Japanese companies do have better service, as I often hear.

Not to go into all the details (this has happened b4), but I took my E320 to MB of Houston North yesterday morning early. I called in advance and had an appointment for B service, rotate and balance, and alignment. I planned on getting it today but didn't tell MB that; they though I was going to get it yesterday; was promised by 4pm. I get a message from them at 5:30 yesterday saying they couldn't finish it, could I come by today at noon. I needed my car and the only thing they hadn't done was the alignment, which was not all that important, so I go this morning to get it. I had to way almost an hour and a half.

The stories with Audi were worse. Am I being unreasonable to get these _____'s to meet commitments and communicate after taking $50k from me? I'm not asking them to cure cancer, only to do routine maintenance, with an appointment, in 24 hours.
  • footiefootie Member Posts: 636
    For last minute shoppers looking for a good deal off MSRP.

Here's a chance to wheel and deal. This is my favorite site to watch MB EClass Inventory, since they are New England's largest automotive group.

Go to herbchambers.com

Search all new inventory

Select Mercedes

Select E class

93 to choose from, up 40 from late September (53)

Good shopping!
  • richjenkinsrichjenkins Member Posts: 55
    Hi all - Heard somewhere the new E has an in-dash CD player plus cassette. I haven't gotten a chance to go down and look. Any comments/folks who have used it so far? Also heard this is destined for the C in '04...comments?

rich
  • stvirstvir Member Posts: 13
    It is true. The 6-CD Changer is behind the center console panel just below the cassette player. Go to www.mbusa.com and read all about it! I am happy with it so far.
  • magnetophonemagnetophone Member Posts: 605
    Houstonmerc, the Mercedes dealer on 59 near the Compaq Center is the best one in town, from what I hear. (I think it's the Edloe exit)
  • rayscarrayscar Member Posts: 70
    I have the Cd Changer in my E500. It's very nice. I just wish it displayed the names of the CD's and titles. With the HK sound system it is a great option and the sound is wonderful.
  • hpilot1hpilot1 Member Posts: 8
    rayscar,

There is no coding on a CD that includes the titles. However, there could be a way to manually input them for each CD and store in memory.
  • richardga73richardga73 Member Posts: 84
    I have an E430 and will pass it along to the wife and I get to get myself another car of my chosing. Its down to the new E (maybe next year's to get the kinks out) and or waiting on the new 545ia for a couple of years ( to get BMW's inevitable kinks out. re: the 745!}One thing I have not been crazy with on the 430 is the handling and the steering. The steering is too light (almost LS Lexus-like) and the chasis could be a little more sporty. The 430 steering is recirculating ball and the new 500 is rack and pinion. Can anybody out there who traded their old E in can tell a difference in these two subjects (handling and steering). And please no others respond unless you traded in a 420 or 430. The comparison is lost on the E320 or the 400E or 300E. Thanks
  • mbnut1mbnut1 Member Posts: 403
    If you have a E430 which is a 98 or newer it does not have recirculating ball steering. From that chassis (W210) on (starting in '96) the new Benzes have had rack and pinion steering. Based on reviews by Automobile magazine the new E's (W211) steering is improved over the previous chassis (W210). They pretty much disliked the W210's steering from the outset due to it being too light. Edmunds review of a 97 E420 sport called the steering "darty".
  • jbariljbaril Member Posts: 43
    OK, here's a dumb question: I just bought a 94 E320, which has no heated seats. I guess most of them didn't. Is there a way to add heated seats to the car or would that be a nightmare, if it were possible?

thanks,
    JOHN
    Jbaril, in my humble opinion, why not just buy sheep skin covers for the winter?

M.
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    Mark,
    what a question to answer on the E-Class board... you might as well ask all the good folks here, Why not just a Camry?

I'm sympathetic. At the price of these puppies, I'd want mine with all the goodies, too.

There's a Jewish saying: "Once you eat pork, let it drip from your chin".

Merry Xmas,
    -Mathias
    East Lansing, MI
  • livetodrivelivetodrive Member Posts: 104
    I bought my 2001 at R&S Imports, and could not be happier with the sales and service departments. They go out of the way to please us, and are very accomodating. For instance, they replaced the front brake pads at 5k miles because the brakes squeaked (instead of just spraying an anti-squeak oil. At my request, they will also change the oil prior to the FSS indication, something other M-B dealers won't do. Fred Milke was our salesman.
  • 2ndmb2ndmb Member Posts: 72
    I have driven the new 2003 E320 and a leftover 2002 E430 4 matic. I can buy the E430 for about 4k less than a 03 320. I love the power and stability of the E430 with all wheel drive but also like the technology and features of the 03 E320. Anyone have a 4matic 430 they can comment on or traded to a new style E class.

Thanks!
    Mathias, LOL "why not just a Camry".... I'm not sure if you can add heated seats to a car that doesn't have them, but I can assure you that it won't be cheap if it can be done. So, hence, my answer. Personally, I wouldn't put a lot of money into an older Mercedes. He is going to have enough costs maintaining it. I had a '91 560SEL that I put about $7,500 in repairs in a three year period before I traded it on my 2000 E430 sport. I only got $16,000 for it and it was a beautiful, new looking car. I would never put that kind of money in an older car again; I didn't get any of it back.

Mark
  • cticctic Member Posts: 291
    I've recently driven both a 2002 E320 4matic and and 2003 E320.

The 2003 E320 is much more of a driver's car. it feels smaller to me and is much better to drive. The 2002 E320's steering feels looser and the car feels bulkier. I'd get the new 2003 E over the 2002 E 4matic in a heartbeat.
    That is essentially what Automobile magazine said as well.
  • merrelmerrel Member Posts: 45
    My new E320 had four new brake pads put on at 2300 miles. Loud squeeling when you came to a stop. Guess what? They still squeel! Any idea how embarrassing this is when you pull up to a red light and you're surrounded by much less expensive cars that don't make noise?
    I agree that the new E320 is lighter feeling and more agile than the 02 model, but that V-8 really makes a difference. So smooth and lots of torque. They want 50k for the E430 that has an MSRP of 59k. The E320 has an MSRP of 54k (sport package)with maybe a 1500 discount.
    I see that you have not mastered the art of looking haughtily around and pretending some of these "lesser" cars are making that noise.

I've had plenty of practice when I, er, pass gas. I immediately pick out some other unfortunate person next to me and pretend that he's the uncultured oaf.

It's that "Who, me?" look. Practice it in the mirror - you'll find dozens of uses for it.
    50K for the E430 4 matic is a good deal. You're getting 9K off! You'll be taking less of a hit when you resell since you're getting such a good deal to begin with. And you're getting a 4matic - if 4matic matters to you.

But go with your feelings not the numbers. You wouldn't buy a pair of shoes you don't like just because you're getting a better deal. You'd end up hating wearing it.
  • microrepairmicrorepair Member Posts: 508
    Some of you think the W210 steering is too light ?? Drive mine sometime.. It's far too heavy and NUMB! And it's the E320 not the E430.. So how can the E430 be too light? Makes me pine for the steering on the 1988 Mazda MX-6 I owned back then; light with great road feel and response..!!!
    Actually, you should consider yourself fortunate to be faced with such a difficult decision between two great alternatives!

I really like my E 430 4 Matic. It's great in the snow and always has plenty of power. If you want a 4 Matic, your other options are to wait until the 2003 4 Matic comes out, (add $3k) or to consider a C class.
    Regarding the power, everyone has their own tradeoffs. The 6 cyl. will get better gas mileage, and therefore has a better range. The E430 is somewhat of a "tweener". It gets better gas mileage than the E500 and has a lot more power than the E320.
    I test drove the E500 and agree it feels tighter. How important this is, along with the new model styling, depends on your own opinions. Anyway, the discount offered to you appears to mitigate the body style change.
    So it's your choice. Good luck, and let us know your decision.
    That's a great deal! I would jump at it too. You must live in a densely populated area.
  • aaragamaaragam Member Posts: 9
    Thanks livetodrive.

I got a quote for 50K flat for a '03 E320 w/ E2, E5, CD changer and metallic paint.. Could any proud owners comment; looking to buy this baby soon to gift my wife for her upcoming b'day... (well I'll be driving too :) )

ctic, sorry I had posted 49K in error.

Have a Merry Christmas and great holidays everybody....
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. It's a difficult choice since both cars have their positive points. I'm leaning toward the E430 based on the fact that MB has been making this model since 96 and one would hope they figured it out buy now. The V-8 is so smooth and powerful or should I say effortless. And third, the 4 matic is the only way to go in the great snowy Northeast. I have an Audi Quattro and I can't imagine going back to a RWD car even though days like today are rare. (18"+ in my area of NY today) The luxury tax gets eliminated on 1-1-03 and maybe the dealer wants to really move on the 02 models. The one I'm looking at is a special edition Black/Oyster with sport wheels. I'll let everyone know what I decide. Thanks again for the comments. Merry Christmas!!
  • richardga73richardga73 Member Posts: 84
    To "live to drive" you are the only one to respond who has actually driven both the 02 and 03instead of just spouting mag articles. Please elaborate your experiences. What do you think about the reliability of the 03 being the first year? How did the 03 drive in more elaborate decriptions? Noise,handling,luxury,sportiness,speed. Unless you live in knee deep snow I wouldnt buy the 4wheel drive due to the added weight and maintenance,just buy the 4-runner toyota.
    Hi Richard73

Even though impressions by posters here are valuable, reliability isn't an individual opinion. It IS an individual experience.

The difference being that the sum of the experiences constitutes an statistically likelihood of any one individual might have an issue. Just because one individual does or doesn't have problems, is absolutely no basis upon which to draw a conclusion that might apply to you as an individual.

i.e. Just because Charlie has had a 1998 E with 130K on it and never seen the shop except for book maintenance, is any indication that this would be true for you. Similarly, if Bill had his Engine Control Unit go bonkers and fry his wiring, that's also not any indication that it will necessarily happen to you. Either could, neither are individually likely. But some things will happen. Here's why.

The most likely reliability of the MB 03 E-class will be average to below average. They have had below average in the intro years on the S Class and new C class and the ML trucks were below average to poor for a couple of years. As a benchmark, Lexus is ranked exceptional and Infiniti is ranked above average to exceptional in all years.

This doesn't mean that you shouldn't buy a MB E if you want one, it's just that your reliability expectations ought to be in line with what is likely to transpire. For some people the problems range from little stuff and minor hassles, for others they are big deals like transmissions. They don't tend to go away during ownership and are the reason why MB has gotten well-deserved flack from Consumer Reports to the Wall Street Journal.

That's also one of the reasons that shopping your dealership is at least as critical as which flavor of the E and how it's equipped. I would get references or touch base with friends that have dealt with a dealership to insure that they have the right attitude, a good parts operation and excellent diagnostics.

If you know what you are getting into then you are prepared, know how to deal with things and can treat the hassle factor and the time required to deal with it as 'the price of poker'.
  • merrelmerrel Member Posts: 45
    Sticker for my new 2003 E320 was $46,950. Add $1440 for leather, $650 for just FRONT heated seats, $1550 for sunroof & premium sound, another $665 for freight and your total is/was $51,255 and not a dime discount from sticker. Happy Holidays.
    You asked me to comment on '02s vs 03's. Regarding reliability, we've all seen the posts about the issues on the 03's, such as ESP and SOS malfuntions and the radio going dead. Some complaints surfaced on the Keyless Go. The most serious ones involved a few cases of the transmission acting as if was in neutral, requiring the car to be shut off and restarted. You can check it out at http://forums.mbworld.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=20

IMHO, if one lives reasonably close to a dealer, who we know will provide free loaners, I wouldn't sweat the teething problems.

I think 2ndmb is looking at two different cars. If AWD is important, I personally wouldn't be happy with a RW drive car, even with ESP. Last winter my 4Matic got me through a 5-hr trip through a heavy snowstorm while I saw SUVs and BMW 3 series (which have their own version of ESP)off the road. It was somewhat surreal driving up inclines other cars couldn't negotiate. The yellow ESP light would flash on and off as it corrected the track while the 4 wheels kept the car moving. I've read the system is less complex than earlier MB 4WDs, so therefore more reliable. I haven't had any problems with it.

V6 or V8? - Let's face it, both have plenty of power. The issue is, plenty is never enough! We all want more. My wife had an E320 loaner while our E430 was in the shop. Opportunity knocks! She took it for a 400 mile spin. When she came home, she commented that it didn't have the passing power of ours, especially on the hills. This is to be expected, but then again, there are trade-offs, such as mileage and range. I get about 17 mpg average in suburban driving, and up to 22 on long trips.

I like the '03s a lot. For one, the styling is new. Since it's evolutionary, however, it doesn't seem to date the W210s. The 03s also incorporate improvements such as the electrohydraulic brakes, and the stiffer chassis, that is readily apparent. On my test drive of the 03 on local streets the brakes felt similar to those on my car. Inside, I like the new instrument cluster, but the functions appear to be same. If money is not an issue, the 03s can be had with some awesome options, like the Distronic cruise control and Airmatic suspension (I'm starting to sound like an MB salesperson!). Another big improvement will be the DVD-based COMAND system. On mine, as the CD maps don't overlap, crossing boundaries entails either entering a waypoint (unlikely), or knowing the route until you enter the area included in destination CD. If a navigation system is important, it probably would be worth buying the 03. The other stuff is really nice, but not a must-have.

As you can see, there are no clear choices. It depends on each person's needs, wants, and budget.

• omasterqomasterq Member Posts: 6
    i picked up mine last week with exact options + E3 for $52,500. as far as price goes, it won't be much different and depends a lot on location and dealership and the mood of the sales manager and this and that. one way or another, you and your wife will enjoy the car.
    livetodrive, good comments. I agree that there is no bad choice and the advantages of AWD can only be recognized when you are in a situation that makes a difference such as you described or in the snow storm I drove through here in NY on Christmas day and evening. I had an E320 and liked many things about it except the handling capabilities in dry weather. I think the E430 with 17" wheels and 4matic will bridge that gap between both cars. As it relates to power, I agree the V-6 is very adequate, but the V-8 is a different animal. You can never have too much power or torque you know.....
  • richjenkinsrichjenkins Member Posts: 55
    Anyone have a reference to or a measurement of a 0-60 time for the new E320 and the E500?

thanks...rich
    I just closed a deal on a Plat. Blue/Stone interior 2003 E320 w/ E2, E5, Fact. instld. (6) CD changer for 49.4K (plus tax, fees, etc). Going through the postings I received for my query, I am quite thrilled at the price. The Platinum blue is very pretty - my wife fell in love w/ the color!

Anyway, thanks to ctic, merrel and omasterq for their response to my query. btw, I live in a Philadelphia suburb and the quote was from R & S Imports; the sales person - Jim - was truly a go-getter wanting to get my business. My experience w/ Brandywine Motors of West Chester was also great, but they c(w!)ouldn't match the price - about 0.5K more. The latter dealership is quite outstanding, plenty - literally over 100 of MBs - in stock, a five-star new super-building w/ a star bucks cafe counter, a mb sales boutique, et al.

I will take delivery hopefully Dec 31st (I am willing to pay the lux. tax) as that day is my wife's birthday.

The best part of the deal is the financing - R & S offerred 5.99%; Brandywine started w/ 7.99(!); I applied to PeopleFirst thro' Edmunds and viola my rate was 4.89/60mos. This was a truly great experience with PeopleFirst taking about 20 mins to reply (as they say); after a few question (I had to call them back), my loan was approved. R & S agreed to match them; but I would like to give business to the people who were upfront first....this would be a good strategy too - apply to a online lendor such as PeopleFirst - no app fees; get their truly low rate and check w/ the dealer if he/she could match; if the dealer matches, convenience will matter most in deciding whom to go with.

Happy Holidays and a great New Year 2003; may we all buy our next MBs sooner than we dreamt!
  • crazymalercrazymaler Member Posts: 16
    Congrats!

Sounds like you got a great price-- platinum blue is an awesome color but it seems a little hard to come by here in the Los Angeles area.

What was the MSRP on your E320?
  • omasterqomasterq Member Posts: 6
    have not seen any "official" reference in the US. check out this HK site http://www.zung-fu.com/eng/eeclasst.htm. it does mention 0-100 km in 7.7 seconds for E320 and 6.1 seconds for E500. do your math. may want to give or take a few since the models may be a bit different from the US conterparts.

hope it helps.

I think that 0 - 60 times are an irrelevant measure of performance for any car including MB. You almost NEVER get to go 0 - 60 in any meaningful way, particularly in traffic.

What is useful is 30 - 50, 50 - 70, because is the kind of transition you make when actually in traffic on the highway or in a situation you either need to avoid or put behind you.

30 - 50 is obviously "in" the 0 - 60 time, but the question is how does the vehicle do, when you are rolling along and punch it.
    crazymaler -

The MSRP was
    46950 base
    655 Destination charge
    1550 E2
    875 E5
    400 CD Changer
    665 Metallic paint

51095 Total;
  • joeadpjoeadp Member Posts: 68
    What replacement tires for a 16 inch rim on an E320 would you use?

My Michelins have 28000 miles and they don't seem to grip like they used to.

Anyone have good success with other brands?

Thnaks
  • stvirstvir Member Posts: 13
    Check with www.tirerack.com ... use their tire selector feature and you will be presented with several choices.

What type of Michelin tire do you currently have? I mean, what is the tire rating?
  • jackb3jackb3 Member Posts: 3
    Are there any software updates for older navigation /command / CD systems ?
  • microrepairmicrorepair Member Posts: 508
    I put Yokohama Avid V4's on my 96 E320 last March and am very happy with them; quiet, excellent traction in dry and wet, and seem to be wearing very well. Handling and steering response also excellent..
  • fcarl5fcarl5 Member Posts: 1
    I was looking at a E320 with 371 miles on the odometer - never titled or registered. The salesman claimed that it was an executive demo, priced @ 51.4k(sticker). It has panoramic sunroof, hk stereo system, leather seats, xenon Headlamps. But I also observed that the brake rotors had been scared which indicates vehicle was driven hard. I proposed 46K for this one, what do you think? Any input will be appreciated.
    fcarl5
    There are 99 (ninety-nine) Mercedes E Class cars (up from 53 in September) on the lot at Herb Chambers in Boston. It's two days until years end.

Call them and make an offer.
  • glamourlifeglamourlife Member Posts: 49
    Why are you always reporting on the inventory at Herb Chambers like it's your personal obsession?

So what that they have 100 E's. They are New Engand's #1 dealer, so that number is not unusual.

Stop Hating, and drive!!!
    I think one of the principle benefits of the these forums is information sharing. What is important is the accuracy of the information shared.

Assuming that the inventory figure is accurate, the point that is being made is that dispite the new E being viewed as a hot commodity with little negotiation room on pricing, the ever increasing inventories suggests that there should be flexibility in the E Class selling price.

This type of post should be regarded as a service to potential E Class buyers. Imagine if a factual post was that they couldn't keep them on the lots. That would be a very different signal to potential buyers.

What I view as the greatest disservice to fellow posters is the personalization of posts.
  • houstonmerchoustonmerc Member Posts: 65
    I was at Mercedes Benz of Houston North for service on my '00 E320 and noticed the inventory seemed very low. In fact I could not see a single new E; there were a couple on the lot that were used, maybe demos. I also couldn't see many S's. They've moved to a new location so maybe they were hidden somewhere, or maybe they just don't have many. I'm not in the market for one now but it looked odd.
This discussion has been closed.