Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedans

Comments

• footiefootie Member Posts: 636
    Hi Donald,

You are right. I bet dealers would love to only have each car on their lot for a few days.

Unfortunately, they carry inventory so we have selection.

Right now, our biggest dealership in Boston as 92 E-class MB's on hand.

They had 99 as of new years so they are coming down some. But for December their inventory increased about 10 cars.

So if they tend to cars say 75 month in and month out, they are paying interest or opportunity cost on 365*75 lot days ... Another way to look at it is that they are financing $40,000,000 worth of inventory at 8% or so ALL year.

Smaller dealerships of course, do less. They love to sell you a car at MSRP that you order.

Imagine the profit they make on your deposit plus $5 - $7,000 on the day or two they have it, prep it and deliver it.

Nice money if you don't have a big inventory.
  • donald02donald02 Member Posts: 54
    Why not have 1000 E-class in inventory or 10,000? Perhaps your business model is out of whack! If you have that many cars sitting that long on your lot then you're doing something wrong. Get with the program if you want to compete! I'd find new finance company if you're paying 8%!!
  • aaragamaaragam Member Posts: 9
    My new 2003 E320 drives like a dream!

I find the light from head lamps (regular not high beam) cover a shorter distance than other cars I have driven, though much brighter. Is the depth of the road ahead covered adjustable?

Appreciate any thoughts..Thanks
  • monakhmonakh Member Posts: 16
    To the poster who requested info on DC Metro Dealers: I would avoid HBL like the PLAGUE. They have a salesperson or two who are very knowledgeable and courteous, but the dealership on the whole just is not up to par with EuroMotorCars. I picked up my E500 from MB Alexandria, and honestly my purchase experience was no different than my Accord purchase many moons ago.

In retrospect, I kinda wish I had gone to Euro instead. And get this: I get to drive a Taurus from Enterprise (at MB Alex), when I am getting my V60 installed. I lamented about that to the New (Car) Sales Manager and he attacked me by saying, there are no dealers in the U.S., let alone the DC area, who offer a full loaner fleet of MBs. He went on to say that it is only something they do if your 'new' car happens to be in the garage long-term. The rationale was that they are servicing up to fifty requests a day (sounded untrue) and there is no way they can maintain a fleet that big. I was fuming when I heard this but chose not to comment, since it was clear this guy was an absolute dork--even if he owned a spankin' new C32 ;>

Later my salesperson assured me that the manager mentioned above is full of you know what and that when the dealership is fully built-out (it is still under construction) they would no longer have Enterprise Rent-A-Car in the building. Rumor has it that HBL also has an Enterprise desk--can anyone confirm?

Anyway--I paid close to 70K (with taxes etc.) for my car (got it for about 2K off of MSRP), I really was hoping for a better experience. However, perhaps it was my mistake to go to a dealership that is supposedly the first new franchise in thirty years in the country. I don't even know how true THAT is but they really are under construction.

I do love my E though--can one be in love with their car? I get lost on purpose just so I can keep driving...won't be able to do that when the Navi comes in, I guess. Heh...
  • donald02donald02 Member Posts: 54
    Monakh, Euromotorcars has an ALL Mercedes loaner fleet.
  • johnkc123johnkc123 Member Posts: 7
    Monakh, HBL also has an Enterprise rental desk.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    Anyone who needs a contact at Euromotors can e-mail me at habitat@erols.com. The person I will refer you to is the father of one of my daughters classmates and did right by my attorney and business partner on two E320's last year. I have no vested interest other than to see professionalism and integrity rewarded with future referrals.
  • rayscarrayscar Member Posts: 70
    I bought an E500 from HBL. Took deliver on 11/2/02. I can't talk about every sales person there but mine was very nice and helpful. Has alsways responded quickly to me requests. The only service I've had also went well. I didn't need a loaner so I can't address that issue. So far I'm happy with HBL and so is one of co-workers.
  • mbdrivermbdriver Member Posts: 426
    I'll second everything mentioned about EuroMotorcars in Bethesda. Sales experience was a pleasure when I bought my 2000 E320, and service (using Andy Guida as my service advisor) has been excellent.

Euro does, indeed, have a 100% Mercedes fleet of loaners!
  • wilkerson1wilkerson1 Member Posts: 7
    I picked up my E500 for $500 over invoice at South Bay MB with no trouble at all. They have them piling up there. Further more, my co-worker received a call from a salesman at Caliber Motors in Anahiem Hills and was told "any E class on the lot $2000 below invoice and no luxury tax". Of course I don't believe it. We'll see if he gets it for that. I'm told that MB deals have end of Jan. deadline to move cars out. Not sure the reason. Could just be salesman hype.
  • crazymalercrazymaler Member Posts: 16
    That's great to hear about your great deal at South Bay MB. They happen to be the closest MB dealer to me. Have you had to use their service department? How was it?

Also, who was your salesperson?
    Luxury tax was phased out as of January 1, 2003, correct?

How's the supply of Wagons out there? I was hoping to get a good deal on a 2003 with the old body style as a replacement for our SUV.
  • cticctic Member Posts: 291
    It's going to be difficult for the large dealers to have a 100% MB loaner fleet. I was at the dealer for my B service and they had ~120 appointments on the book today. I would imagine that any MB loaners would be reserved for SL,CL and S owners, though they deny it. I can't imagine that big elderly guy with the 2003SL after me driving home in the Suzuki I got. The dealer has 2 rental agencies working with them.
  • jjsanijjsani Member Posts: 14
    I know the nav system is not available yet, but is there any information/specs on what system be like, e.g. screen size, will it have voice direction prompts ?. Is availability still set for first quarter 2003?.
  • rbrenton88rbrenton88 Member Posts: 186
    My dealer in NJ has all MB as loaners, albeit mostly C240s and a few MLs.
  • wilkerson1wilkerson1 Member Posts: 7
    My salesman was Ola Amosun. I didn't notice any wagons and only a couple of old style E classes, but they have an offsite storage place somewhere. They had many new E-classes. Not a big selection on color, mostly black and silver.

The service is much different from GM dealer. They're dressed in suit and ties and have offices to discuss your service visit. The will drive you somewhere if you want or I can give them one of the loaner coupons they gave me when I purchased the car.

Sounds like if my wife could have waited a few more weeks, I could have saved the $670 lux tax and gotten a better deal to boot.
  • clark217clark217 Member Posts: 25
    Bought the two key tools that remove the climate control unit (and radio) and bought the replacement bulb (part no. 002 544 02 94) for the climate control unit. Removed the climate control unit and replaced the bulb very easily (2 minutes).
    Clark 217
  • joeadpjoeadp Member Posts: 68
    Where did you get the tools?

My red light on the climate control is not working
    so I guess it is the bulb.
  • shehzadshehzad Member Posts: 52
    I haven't purchased a mercedes from them since the mid - late 1990's but they are EXCELLENT. My salesman for life is Alan Jbaili, and from what I understand, he's still there. When I first dealt with him back in the end of 1995, I called him b/c I wanted to purchase the then new E class for my wifes birthday. He found the car in stock and although he refused to negotiate on the car (it was november, and the car had been out in the U.S. for a week), he did agree to give me free service for 3 years/36k (remember, this was the end of 1995, and if I recall correctly, only audi gave free service at the time), and to do a delivery service on my car For service, they would pick up my car from my house in McLean in the morning b/f I left for work, leave me with a mercedes (a c class every time, but who's paying attention) to drive for the day, and then return the car to me (and pick up the loaner then). Since I didn't have to pay for service for the first 3/36, billing was never an issue, but then, during the last 14k(up to the 50,000 mile limit)they took my credit card and just had me sign a reciept when they brought the car back to the house. At the time, I had gotten my previous mercedes serviced at American Service Center (but I never purchased from them as I always, until 1995 bought with European delivery for military), and figured out that I had spent somthing like 16,000 dollars on an 1985 diesel that they used to service. When I went in to negotiate the purchase the E320, and mentioned to the salesman that I had been a customer of theirs for over 10 years, and had, even though the warranty expired, still maintained my car at their dealership and paid the extra labor, the salesman would still not negotiate with me. I was so upset that I asked to speak with the owner of ASC, who subsequently called me at home a day or two later, and although he was very cordial, insisted that he would not lower the price of the E320 by even a penny, as they had just come out. After hanging up the phone with him, I figured if the owner of the dealership doesn't care that I've spent so much money on just ONE car at his dealership, and isn't even willing to go down by $500.00----(I just wanted a discount so I could tell my friends that I got a great deal) on an $47,000(in 1995-1996 dollars) vehicle, then I guess he doesn't want my business at all. And I have never stepped foot in American Service Center since. HBL---don't get me started on them---let's just say that they're a bunch of crooks. As I mentioned, I live in McLean, not 1 mile from HBL, and I would drive to Baltimore b/f I bought a car from those idiots. This has become a very long diatrobe, so let me just end it by saying to purchase from Euro---their standards for both buying and servicing a mercedes as truly what owners hope for when purchasing a European vehicle.
  • glamourlifeglamourlife Member Posts: 49
    My husband and I are lifetime customers of EuroMotors as well. We have the same sales rep, Alan Jbaili. He is a consummate professional. Even though we have moved to Chicago, and other cities, we still will only buy a MB from Alan Jbaili and EuroMotorCars. The service really is that good!
    Such glowing recommendations are rare in this day and age. I wish I had bought my car from Alan J.! But more importantly, I wish I had given my business to EuroMotor Cars. The discussion about ASC would explain why MB of Alexandria treats me not very different from a glorified Honda customer (since they are a branch of the ASC).

Oh well...live and learn...perhaps when the E55 comes around...

--monakh
  • mbe2003mbe2003 Member Posts: 12
    Well, here is an interesting one for you. I was driving my 2003 E-320 and hit a pot hole. The hit punctured a hole in the sidewall of my tire. So now I need to get the tire replaced. I call everywhere (OK, everywhere in Atlanta) looking for a replacement tire that matches - Michelin 225/55 R 16 95 H. Nobody has them. I call the dealer and they cannot find them either. Now I am driving on a temporary spare because I cannot find a tire that matches. So far the best estimate is a tire can come in 7 - 10 days.

All this seems a little extreme. Anyway, the dealer is working hard to try to help but so far, not a whole lot of progress. At first I was hoping for a road hazard warranty, now I will just settle for a tire that matches so I can get the temp spare off the car. Thank God I do not travel a lot of miles everyday.

PS: I still love the car but the handling with the temp spare leave a little to be desired. ;-)
    I have an idea for you: To get the handling back to where it was, replace the other three tires with the likes of your spare, should be perfect then!

Just kidding :) Sorry to hear about your trouble. Did you try TireRack.com? They have the most extensive inventory on the planet and have a heck of a website and great prices to boot (no pun intended).

Give it a shot.
  • 2ndmb2ndmb Member Posts: 72
    Contact the Tire Rack or go to their web site at tirerack.com. I'm sure they will have the tire you're looking for.
    My dealer seems to be coming through. Last night they put a similar tire on so I do not have to run around on my spare. When the replacement comes in, they will swap it out for the correct match. All with no additional cost to me.

In my mind, not bad! I will keep you posted.
  • merrelmerrel Member Posts: 45
    Hey John I. of Atlanta: I too have a 2003 E320 MB and I purchased a spare but cannot get orig. equipment. Try Michelin # 91592 which is their XGT-H4 (225/55R16) This is as close as you wil get at this time. Merrel in Charlotte
  • janenejanene Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know when exactly the new E w/4matic is going to be available? my 2000 e320 4matic comes off lease in April and I would like to get into the new E preferably w/4Matic.
    Everybody - Thanks for the suggestions. Here is where things stand. Tire Rack does not carry them, in fact, no one in the US but Michelin seems to have them and they only release them when the VIN for the car is supplied at this time. I think they are in the process of building an inventory.

My dealer put a Continental on the car temporarily and will replace it when the Michelin comes in in 7 - 10 days. I am not holding my breathe, but at least I am driving my car.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.
  • jgraveljgravel Member Posts: 54
    I was told next October. I'm also waiting. I don't understand the reasoning behind the wait because the technology is obviously available and working in the newer E, it's shipping with the wagon.

Good luck,

Jay
    The 2003 4-matic Wagon is the old model.
  • jgraveljgravel Member Posts: 54
    Habitat1, your correct. Sorry for any confusion.
  • microrepairmicrorepair Member Posts: 508
    mbe2003:

If I had a new E and the tire wasn't available, I would expect my dealer to take one off one of their inventory cars while waiting for a replacement. They should not have a problem swapping the wheel and tire complete and keeping your wheel for the new tire and the inventory car. At least that's what I would expect after paying 50K+ and having the car for only a few weeks.

You might try twisting their arm so you can get back to really enjoying your new E..
  • footiefootie Member Posts: 636
    So the same crowd that takes a 'non negotiable' $6000 profit out of your wallet for taking the car off of the truck and washing it, is going to swap a wheel and tire off of another car on the lot they could sell?

Ummm....maybe I don't think so.

MB dealers earn their degrees in arrogance and gouging early on. I bet they can get you a $150 tire and $400 wheel overnight for $1000 though.

Good luck!
    I think the 'Man Upstairs' aka God punished me for making fun of mbe2003's plight with the tire. This morning when I went down to the garage, I found that the E had a flat with a FOUR INCH NAIL in it! I have the Sport Package with the Continentals though, which are (presumably) easier to find. Anyway, I was lucky, I just took it to my neighborhood NTB and got them to fix it for 20 bucks. It really hit me then that the Es don't have a full size spare when I was swapping the tires. I am sure this has been discussed ad nauseum, but what the heck is THAT?! I was so disappointed (all over again). Heck my Jetta had a full size spare, it did not have a rim to match, but the tire was (at least) exactly the same as the other four.

So check this out: While I am changing the tire I remembered a horror story from one of my friends' C240 about having this weird wheel bolt so that the regular key is unable to remove it (and how he had ruined his entire disc while trying to force it), so I called TeleAid to confirm while my key was not in the ignition (no the new E does not have this 'problem'). Once I got off with them, I noticed that my satellite link had not shut down, I tried to end the call manually and it turned out that my stereo had gone 'Carrie' on me, i.e. it had taken on a life of its own.

From that point forward, whatever I did, the stereo would not turn off, I tried to reset it by starting the car and killing the ignition and it did not work. I had no sound coming through my speakers from either the radio, the CD or the tape player. I could use my phone but not use the keypad after the call connected, nor could the other party hear me (although I could hear them). I called MB's Roadside Assistance and the nearest mechanic dude told me to reset the stereo by unseating its fuse. However, he could not tell me exactly where the fuse was because he said the schematics for the new E were at the dealership (real useful). Anyway, to make a long story short, I hung up with everyone and just figured I would find the fuse box and reseat every damn thing in it. I popped the hood and located the box near the driver's side, and unseated every single fuse but to no avail (you would think the darned lid would have a guide--it didn't). Next, I tried the fuse box inside on the driver's side--and that did not work either. Finally, I went for the one next to the battery in the trunk. There were two fuses there which I removed and reseated after a 10 second lapse, and thankfully THAT apparently did the trick. Luckliy, I did not have to re-enter my stereo's unlock code since I did not have it with me--I was told I would need it.

What a pain! This is a vintage Generation 1 MB issue, it was probably a software glitch (can you say Reboot!) but still--annoying, and I spent way too long in trying to fix it so that my battery won't die while the car was parked overnight.

It was a heck of a couple of hours! Sorry mbe2003--I now feel your pain :) Can't believe TireRack doesn't carry those Michelins...
    footie:

You must have had a bad experience with your MB dealer..

Look at it this way, most dealers have a half dozen to as many as 30 or 40 E class cars on their lot. Last I knew, all E class cars come with a full size spare. Since the E classes aren't exactly flying off the lot at this time of year, it shouldn't be any problem for a dealer to "borrow" a spare from ONE of their inventory cars for a week or so. Certainly, if they have a customer for the one without a spare, grab the spare from another...

OK so maybe I would run "my" dealership with an eye to customer service, but I'd like to think there are many MB dealers out there who might do exactly as I described.

As an example, my salesman gave me a lead on bypassing the dealership's sale of a CD changer and saved me $500 by giving me the phone number so I could go direct to the audio shop they have do all their installs. Some dealerships want you to return.....
  • retnavretnav Member Posts: 25
    (1) Is anyone else having problems getting Edmunds since their reconfiguration? I have an Apple with Netscape Communicator. The response time after each log-on or click is slow and the black print is too small and very unclear. 3 messages to Edmunds and no improvement.
    (2) I am still considering a new E-320; any comments from recent purchasers; are you satisfied with the car and its performance?
    retnav:

Finally someone else mentioned the "new" small print in the messages.. I too have sent emails to Edmunds complaining about the "honey you shrunk the letters" issue. However, I like the new navigation methods better.

Maybe the host can pass the word to the managers..?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    There is LOTS of conversation about that subject in the discussion at this link: Town Hall New Look!

Head on over and check out what everyone is saying. Note -- the complaints about the font size have been heard loudly and clearly and from what I gather, that is the number one issue that is being addressed.

But do post your comments there - join right in.
  • jim256jim256 Member Posts: 14
    E320 since Oct 2, it's a fantastic car, the interior is a great improvement, exterior design gets a lot of compliments, engine is more than enough for my driving but the 500 has more pure power. I would not opt for it given my situation. The engine is well proven, as is the transmission, same designs since 1998. I would buy again in a minute.
  • houstonmerchoustonmerc Member Posts: 65
    I have a 2000 E320 and a few times over the past year or so the radio has gone out. The lights will come on, but the volume cannot be increased from silent and sometimes the channels cannot be changed. At first this would last only a minute or 2, but the last couple of times it's lasted until I turned the car off and back on. Has anyone had this, and specifically has anyone had this turn out to need work? I'm out of warranty now so would have to pay if it went out and didn't come back.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    I would strongly endorse the new E-class. It's got the same design cues as the S-class, modern and streamlined looks. The fit and finish are excellent and the handling inspires confidence and enjoyment. Having owned 3 Mercedes before (all bought new), I can say that the ergonomics and engineering are markedly improved.
    I thought I had decided that the E430 with 4matic was the way to go until I again test drove an E500 with the Sports Package. I drove the 500 since it was the only car on hand to test the Sport Package and adjustable suspension. Wow, what a nice machine! I drove it back to back with the 430. It truly is an evaluation of performance and design. Ride, handling and comfort was great. In the NY area it looks like $1700 to $2000 discount is about average at most dealers or a 39 mo. lease @ mid 700's for an E320 with an MSRP around 54k. It's got me thinking now. If I could find a buyer for my A-4......
  • rbarnhart1rbarnhart1 Member Posts: 1
    I feel like an idiot but I have this problem: I had my first trip to the gas station with my 1999 320 sedan. I could not get the gas cap back on. What am I doing wrong. Is there some sort of trick to this?
    What has changed since 1999 that won't allow you to put on a gas cap? My guess is you have someone elses cap you're trying to put on the MB.
  • bargamonbargamon Member Posts: 302
    Its been a while since here. Names have have changed some.

I have a '01 E430 with now 32k on it. ITs been a dream. ONly problem so far was at 30k the catalytic converter cracked. $1400 under waranty. It sounded like a diesel.

The car came with the goodyear f1 which was supertire, but noisy. Too much tire for the car in that suspension is not calibrated like a porche. I replaced at 17k with Yoko AVS db's that now have 15k on them, and now they are howling, most likley started at 12-13k. I don't think they'll make it to 20 either. I don't think I drive too agressive, but thats subjective. Is anyone having any luck with a quiet tire? I'd give up some performance just to shut the dame thing up. The car is so quiet perhaps I am being overly critical. The DBs are good performers but they got noisy. I'd go to michelens but would rather not pay 200 plus per tire and then find them noisy.

For those whom are considering........The 01' model has been great for me. Rock chips the paint, but what are you going to do. I love the new model and only feel that twinge of envy to have one when I am at the dealer.
    bargamon:

Join the club!! I too had the same problem with the AVS db tires last year on my 96 E320. At 12K they were sounding like my full set of snow tires.! Yokohama gave me a tread wear credit towards their Avid V series tire which have about 10-12K now and are about the quietiest tires I've ever owned.. And look like they will easily exceed the 20K wear life; over 30K would be my guess at this point. They are one performance notch down from the AVS db but there is virtually no difference in performance. Seems like a really good tradeoff. By the way, we aren't the only ones with this problem, there was another person in the TIRES discussion group with a Lexus with the identical problem. Seems like Yokohama has a problem with the AVS db not being so quiet after all.!!
  • lex10lex10 Member Posts: 30
    Recently took delivery of an E500 sport. It is a wonderful car but I made several observations.
    1-It guzzles alot of gas, and I hope the gas mileage gets better after the vehicle breaks in.
    2-The drivers side door sticks in the morning,which the dealer says is the result of the cold weather in the northeast.
    3-The tires are H rated continentals as opposed to W rated, the dealer said the H rated tires provide better wear and are better in the rain/snow;therefore Mercedes is equipping all E500 sports with the H rated tires (they also don't blow out unlike the softer W rated tires)

Any comments or similar experiences are appreciated.
  • jb_shinjb_shin Member Posts: 357
    I am not sure how your dealer arrived at the logic that w-rated tires are more likely to blow out but not the H-rated. W-rated means the tire is rated at higher max speed, which means it is able to withstand higher temperature generated at high speeds (better integrity). The rubber compound on w-rated tire will be softer to make it stickier, which makes it wear out quicker.

H-rated tires will provide longer tread life, and perhaps marginally better snow traction, but the w-rated tires will have much better wet/rain traction any day.
  • px260px260 Member Posts: 42
    I have the 01 model that comes with Goodyear Eagle LS, now has 27k miles and they look like they should last another 13k before need changing. They have been noisy since day one. Plan on replacing them with Dunlop SP Sport A2. According to Tirerack.com they are better than Yoko Avid V4, Mich MXV4, and the LS. At $89 each it is very reasonable for the stock size.
    And so it begins:

My 2 month old E500's brakes keep squeaking! The sound is not that loud, and goes away after five minutes of driving, but it is still most alarming--haven't had a chance to visit the dealer yet.

Anyone experienced this?
This discussion has been closed.