Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedans

Comments

• footiefootie Member Posts: 636
    I think you are all correct about due diligence in a large purchasing decision like this.

I just checked ebay and their were 19 up for bid that were either carrying a Starmark warranty or Starmark eligible.

If you are fortunate to live in or near a major metropolitan area like Boston, New York, Chicago, etc. then restricting your considerations to ebay listers you can actually visit, see and test drive a vehicle is a step towards minimizing risk.

There are three or four here in Boston that are happy to have prospective bidders stop by.

In addition some of the local Mercedes dealers have been offering vehicles on ebay. I think they are new to this and are going slow. Clair Motors in Dedham had several cars listed a few weeks ago. Foreign Motors West in Natick has two late-model BMW's on auction now.

I've seen a Mercedes dealership in Houston offer pre-owned MB's as well as a few dealerships in Florida.

Even though there are scam artists on ebay, the dealerships and big resellers realize that there is much more money to be made by selling a lot of cars at a good profit.
  • bud24bud24 Member Posts: 8
    My 2001 E430 4 matic is a great winter car, specially with Blizzak LM22s. It is rock stable, and has great traction, even on steep snow and ice covered upslopes. I thought it was perfect, until I used my wife's car which has a heated steering wheel. When its 0 degrees with 20 below windchill, I prefer to drive her car.

Has anyone retrofitted a heated steering wheel into their E class?
  • lex10lex10 Member Posts: 30
    I am an owner of a 2003 E500 sport with 1000 miles on it. Love the car but noticed a couple of quirks.
    1-The front end/steering has a slight jittery feeling when going over small bumps.I was wondering if this is due to the air suspension?

2-The radio got bad static a couple of times and after shutting it off and putting it back on again, several times, the static went away.

3-When the car sits over night,it ussually takes several tugs on the door handle to open up the drivers side door, don't know if it's alarm related or cold weather related.

If anyone has similar experiences or has any ideas on why these problems occur please comment.
  • pompano73pompano73 Member Posts: 20
    Well it happened, I brought my current 2001 E320 in for it's schedule B service and I made the mistake of going through the showroom while my car was being detailed. I talked to the salesman and he put some very good numbers together, my only problem is, as much as I like the Stone interior (wish it were Java like mine) I like the Charcoal because I fear that light color will stain easily. The exterior will be black. Any thoughts, and is it worth getting full leather? I will be getting E2 Package, phone with voice, and cd changer. Also, do you think it's too soon to purchase now because, historically, the first year Benz always has terrible resale.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    There are definitely a few bugs in the new E-class - my neighbor traded his 2001 E55 for a new E500 a few weeks ago and it's been back a couple of times for electrical / remote control problems. But he still loves the car and isn't dissapointed that he didn't wait. Prior to the E55, he had a 1997 E420 that burned through headlight/foglight bulbs on a monthly basis. So he's used to first year bugs.

Wasn't aware that first year Benz's are known for poor resale, but it makes sense given the bugs of recent new E, C, and S class models.

He traded a black/charcoal E55 for a tectite grey metallic with charcoal interior. The car looks very sharp and he already is relieved to not have a black car. I'm sure you've either owned a black car before or heard the advice against black, so I won't assume to steer you away. But I will say the new E in tectite grey is a great looking alternative. The charcoal interior is the only way to go, IMO. My neighbor's previous E420 had an ash interior that constantly showed dirt and smudges. Don't think the stone would fare much better. He now jokes that it took him 3 E's to get the colors right.

Good luck.
  • pompano73pompano73 Member Posts: 20
    I appreciate all the good advice. I'll definately look at Tectite Greay! I may lease it so I don't have to worry too much about the depreciation. I'm seeing a lot of NEW E'S on the roads here in South Florida.
  • microrepairmicrorepair Member Posts: 508
    was 1996. Not 1997. I've got the 96 to prove it. I bought mine almost 5 years ago so I can't say what happened in the first 1-2 years of life. I've only replaced 2 bulbs; a parking light and a turn signal. Other than that the only other repair other than frequent disc brake pads was the rubber suspension & steering bushings at about 75K miles.

It is dark blue with the light cream interior and I don't think that the light interior is much of a detriment. The kick panels on the doors show some dirt but otherwise it is not a problem. But on the upside, it is far cooler to the touch in the summer sun than dark interiors I've had in other cars.
  • emfilteremfilter Member Posts: 1
    On my 1998 Merc E320 Sedan, it looks as if the side mirrors do not match. The driver's side has a yellow tint, while the passenger side looks 'clear'. Is this standard, or has one been replaced?
  • adeeladeel Member Posts: 9
    Hi, I am planning on leasing a 2003 E320 with Capri Blue exterior and stone interior. Any advice from owners if the stone interior will get dirty very quckly and how easy it is to clean . Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks.
  • paulchiupaulchiu Member Posts: 378
    Test drove the E500 yesterday for 15 miles, over rough pavements, highway, bridges, and local blocks. The car felt solid, no rattles over bumps, and at 80mph, no wind noise. 50-80mph acceleration was immediate, but braking from that speed was not as good as a S500 or earlier E55's.

The steering wheel is tiny and tight, and felt not as attached to the road as the E55. Where the earlier E55 felt like riding on rails, the E500 reminds me more of a 3 series BMW. I am not sure if this is because the E500 I tested had only 91 miles, but just did not have that great 2000-2001 E55 feeling.

The E500 ride setting of soft generate 70-80% of the ride comfort as the S500. But the tire noise in the S500 is louder than this new E.

There was this rattle coming from the coffee tray in the back center section during part of the test drive.

I put in a $500 refundable deposit on 2004 E55 after this test.

As for colors, cannot decide now on whether going pewter silver, albaster white, or osedian black (the most sensitve to scratches).
  • retnavretnav Member Posts: 25
    On 28 Jan I bought a new E-320 Pewter silver with charcoal interior and full leather seats, sunroof and heated seats. Only 300 miles during cold and snowy weather. No problems so far---charcoal is a very pleasing and practical interior. I also have english heavy rubber floor mats which are great in this weather. I would guess leather seat inserts would be good enough, this car just happened to full and we bargained to a good deal as far as I was concerned. Dealer was HBL at Tysons corner and salesman, Charles Wynn, was outstanding. My experience was first rate, but now I can not get the dealer to answer my e-mails about a new owner orientation session if it is offered. How do any of you feel about the extended warranty-- 2years for 2k or Lojack--$895? Haven't done either, but what's your collective opinion?
  • weldone99weldone99 Member Posts: 26
    I am interested in buying a new 2004 E320 this fall, does anyone know of any dealer on the east coast who would discount $2000 off the list price. Will be selling my own very low mileage 2000 E320 in August and looking for a dealer who will deal.
    but am I the only one who is irritated at how the media are playing up the murder trial in Texas as "Murder by Mercedes" ???? Would it gather headlines if it were a Kia? "Killed by Kia" ?? or by a Ford? "Flattened by Ford" ???
    Oh well, I guess that's the price we pay for owning "celebrity" cars...!
    Or maybe I'm just not a fan of the media hype..!
  • retnavretnav Member Posts: 25
    I would guess no one can tell what a dealer will do in Fall 2003. Cars will sell at msrp or more if there is enough demand. Dealers will usually only take less to get a volume advantage or to move cars when they can't or don't sell as many cars as they want. Currently you can probably get discounts on 2003's because they aren't moving as quickly as dealers would like. When you are really in the market the Edmunds price and TMV data are about as good as you can get. There are a couple of other good sites for pricing to give you about as much data as you are going to get short of knowing the dealer. Then it just you and the dealer and maybe this board as to what dealers are doing today----- but, what the situation will be next Fall?? If we could tell the future, we could get a better job.
  • hgphgp Member Posts: 11
    Folks,

I am interested in buying a 2001 E430 Sport. Fully loaded except Navigation. 23K miles. What do you guys think is a fair price for this?

Thanks for your input.
  • footiefootie Member Posts: 636
    Herb Chambers in Boston has 88 E320's showing in their inventory, down a bit from their 2002 year ending 101. (there are 27 E500's).

If their inventory runs this high all year, you should certainly expect to get well below MSRP.

Deal directly with their ISD's, via email, ask for detailed sticker. Make them an out the door cash offer.

You can also shop their website for comparable offers from Lexus and Infiniti, so you can bargain.

Clair Motors in Dedham, MA opened a huge new MB facility in Westwood, MA. They'll deal too. They have 30 showing in inventory and do a better job describing the options by number on their website than Herb does.

Good luck.
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    I wouldn't think you'd get the same type of ride and handling from a 2003 E500 as you would a 2001 E55. One is for sport the other luxury. They aren't supposed to match up. The car you put the deposit on is the one for that.

M
  • mbnut1mbnut1 Member Posts: 403
    I am looking with intent to buy a 2000 E320. It's manufacture date was 11/99. I was reading in the insurance institutes for highway safety web site that starting Jan/2000 there were structural improvements to the E-Class. Can anyone validate this one way or another. Also when were the head side curtain airbags introduced? Thanks
  • joeadpjoeadp Member Posts: 68
    I purchased my 2000 on 10/31/1999.

It has the side curtain air bags.

The 2000 model year had over 2000 changes from the 1999 model year. I think that included the stuctural changes to improve driver occupant saftey. If I remember correctly the issue with the 1999 and earlier models was the driver door became adjar after impact. Saw it on 60 minutes.
    The 2000 corrected this flaw.

Regards,
  • rg6rg6 Member Posts: 6
    Can anybody tell me where I can get a replacement cup holder for my 1999 E430? It seems to be easy to replace. I just need to know where I can order one from.
  • 2ndmb2ndmb Member Posts: 72
    You should check edmunds on the value of this car. I've seen them on MB dealer sights for as much as 47k. I think a good price is going to be close to 40-42k. Anything more than that, you should consider a new style E320.
    Thanks for the response. I hope that you are correct. It doesn't make sense to me that Mercedes would not have included the changes when thet updated model, however I remain a little unsure because the IIHS grouped "1997 to "early" 2000's" and "late" 2000 to 2002's. BTW which 2000 E do you have and how do you like it?
    I have the E320 silver/charcoal interior.

The car is amazing. Best car I have ever owned.
    Love the feel of quality in the interior and the
    responsive engine.

I have two other cars but this one is a keeper.
    One option I would add is a 4 matic.

Good luck
  • khicekhice Member Posts: 13
    I'm considering my first MB purchase--this will also be my first used car purchase. A 1999 E320 sedan, 46,900 miles, one owner, Starmark Certified. The car is in excellent condition, clean & has every option as far as I can tell, though I am surprised at the lack of steering wheel control buttons. The car performs well though the auto transmission shifts rougher than I expected. The dealer is reputable & has the car priced at the midpoint of the KBB and Edmunds range (upper 20's). Is there anything in particular I should look for before buying & what kind of maintenance investment can I expect down the road. I plan to keep the car at least 2 years.
  • aaragamaaragam Member Posts: 9
    The Stone interior is simply the most elagant and stunning interior I have seen but it does get dirty. The seats are fine. But the cloth interior near the foot wells and the bottom of the door are easily smudged by the shoes... You have to put some effort into cleaning it...I would recommend to MB that the cloth/fabric like interior close to and around the footwells be of some other material..
    khice:

When I bought my first E320 (haven't bought the second yet, may never have to!) it had 38,000 miles and was Starmarked. The dealer had replaced all brake pads and front rotors and all four tires. And also refinished one fender that had a very small scratch. The Starmark goal is to deliver you a car that is virtually new and you should make sure that kind of maintenance is done before you agree to a deal. Maintenance that you might have to do within the two years really depends upon mow many miles you put on it. I had to have the front end suspension and steering rubber bushings replaced around 75,000 under the Starmark warranty ( normal retail around $1000) and I've replaced all the cooling hoses and the ignition wires and plugs, between 85,000 and 95,000 miles. I've also replaced the front pads twice and most recently installed new rotors again. (I did the hoses, ignition, and brake overhaul myself for BIG savings; total parts around $350.)

You mentioned roughness in the shifting. Beware of that because one thing it should do is shift smoothly with a slight feeling of firmness, not roughness..

The E class is an awesome auto! Good luck with it if you buy it!
    Does anyone have some info on when the E350 4 matic pricing and order info will be available? This is with the new 245hp V-6. I have heard that this is coming in August 2003 as an 04 model. Any insight is appreciated
    Seems too early for change to the new E320.

An E350 will reduce the resale value of the new E.

Just my opinion.
    I also heard this fall for the E350 sedan, with arrival date of Septeber/October. We were in the dealership checking on a possible replacement of our SUV with a new E350 Wagon w/ 4-matic. Still no word on when that will be available.

joeadp - If you recall, the E420 was replaced with the E430 within one year of the last redesign. The 3.2 liter V-6 has been targeted for replacement for well over a year. It should not come as a surprise and probably won't affect resale on the 2003 that much. What will be more interesting will be what happens with MB's introduction of their new, high performance, diesel engines to the US market. An associate who has one (E270) in Germany claims that it outperforms the 3.2 liter V-6 gas in all categories AND gets 30+ mpg at 100+ mph on the Autobahn. That is probably part of the reason for MB's decision to upgrade the 3.2 to a 3.5 liter V-6.
  • jvmmfordjvmmford Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1994 MB E320. Coolant low level light illuminates, even though coolant level is adequate and I have never had to add coolant. MB service rep mentioned that coolant level and washer fluid level are on the same circuit, so I topped off the washer reservoir (which was low) and the coolant level light hasn't illuminated since.

Any experience with this? If so, any info on fixes?
  • acco20acco20 Member Posts: 211
    Seems no fix is needed...If that light comes on, one of those two fluids is low...I think?
  • tomotomotomotomo Member Posts: 57
    I have a 2001 E320 with standard 11-spoke wheels. I apparently ran over a container of paint or other chemical and there are numerous ( approx. 1/4 of the rim) places where the original paint is damaged on one wheel. My question is: has anyone had their wheel(s) repainted? The cost of a new wheel was quoted at several prices between $320 and $680. Thanks.
    try wheelcollision.com
    Cannot decide on the color, need help!

My last 2 Benz had been brilliant silver/charcoal and I wanted to try something new on my 2004 E55 order.

Thinking :

1) Pewter
    2) Desert silver
    3) Obsidian Black

All with Ash interior.

My main concern is that the blacks seems to show scratches very easily. Am I wrong?

Thanks for any ideas.
    Once again, I recommend at least checking out the tectite grey and charcoal combination. My neighbor's has an E500 in that combination and it is beautiful.

And yes, black shows everything. Just go to your local dealer and try to find a "pristine" 2+ year old black Mercedes and check it out in the sunlight. It will show swirl marks and other imperfections that you never would have noticed in your silver one.

What are they projecting as a delivery date for a 2004 E55 and what is the price, if I might ask?
    One dealer said as early as August, the other Sept/Oct. The earlier dealer said no mark ups if I place a deposit for it now, while the other cannot promise on the markups (over list, 74K).

Funny thing (actually not that funny..) is that the second dealer has sold me 2 previous Benzes.

So much for loyalty.
  • polo2928bpolo2928b Member Posts: 21
    I just ordered an 03 - E5 and I am trying to add the multicontour seats, yet I have not been able to see one at the dealer, any one has an idea whether this are similar to sport seats found on BMWs?
    I have a 00 528 that I love but I am making the switch to MB, and I just would like to know if any one is owned a BMW in the past and made the switch, what is your overall impression about
  • crazymalercrazymaler Member Posts: 16
    General consensus on the mbworld.org forums is that the multicountour seats are a waste of money. The money would better be spent on the drive-dynamic seats or the active-ventilated seats. The standard seats are not bad at all though.
    I had my brother looked over a 2000 E320 for me today and asked that he look for ID stickers on the body panels like the fenders. He didn't think the car had been wrecked but niether he nor the salesman could find any other than the one on the truck behind the liscense plate. Should they be there on that vintage E class?
  • polo2928bpolo2928b Member Posts: 21
    I had been told in the past that MB does not negotiate prices, but MB in Miami, FL sold me E500 for $2000 over invoice (about $2000 under MSRP) , which it may not be great but is something.
  • wilkerson1wilkerson1 Member Posts: 7
    My 2003 E500 has a slight shudder when sitting in drive or park. The computer shows no malfunction. It's most noticeable when driving around town and not so much when sitting in the dealers garage.
    When I took it into the dealer, they told me that these engines didn't run that smooth in park. Said something about being due to the liquid filled motor mounts. Are there any other owners experiencing this? I'm wondering if I have bad motor mounts.
    From time to time, I get some engine shake in my S500. Not all the time, and definitely "never" at the dealership either.

Maybe it's due to the weather, as I experienced mine after the car was running cold in 10-20 degrees weather.
  • tendons1tendons1 Member Posts: 12
    I have an 01E55 and like the multicountour seats alot, primarily for the adjustable side supports and occassional use of the thigh support. I hate lumbar supports, but my wife loves them. The heated seats are of course really nice but the ventilated seats I find of questionable value. They are helpful in really hot weather to keep your seat and back dry, but I find when they get almost cold, with the a.c. on, it's not such a nice feeling. man is not made for a cold [non-permissible content removed].
    The drive dynamic seats seem a bit too expensive, three thousand or so, for the value; I'd much rather have the feeling of the constant push on my side rather than a sudden inflation. I have not tried those seats, though.I did have a 740 isport with the comfort seats, and I could never deflate the lumbar portion enough to be comfortable; in fact the bmw seats in both the most recent5 and seven series just never felt"right" for me.And I've had four bmws starting with the 2002 and bavaria 3.0s. Those were great seats
    My 2 cents on this issue. I have the ventilated seats on my 2001 S500. They are nice in the summer, yes. But not really necessary, as stewart said well, above. The A/C will do. Only after I played a pick up game and got really sweaty did the cooling/drying feature became an asset.

The massaging seats are pretty worthless. You will not feel them after a month of use.

If resell value is important, please note that expensive options are ventilated or massaging seats DOES not add much or any value to the car. Things like distronics and parktronics (other than having cool (or ugly) looking holes on the bumpers) adds maybe $100. ABC is the only thing of some residual value; say $500.

What adds to the value of your Benz is sports package and designo editions. I found out all this after I sold my 2000 ML430 to the dealer.
  • merrelmerrel Member Posts: 45
    My 2003 E320 is now 5 months old, 8200 miles. No problems EXCEPT when you stop at a light with car in gear car shakes VIOLENTLY. I left car at MB dealer overnight, no malfunctions,no codes, dealer could not find anything wrong. Got a wash, wax, vacuum cleaned and thank you for coming in. Next day, car shakes all over again. Now what? To stop this 'seizure' you either throw car into neutral, or step on the cgas. Any suggestions, anyone? Could throttle body be clogged in 8200 miles? Could fuel line be clogged?
    I take it that you aren't able to reproduce it for the dealer?
  • jim256jim256 Member Posts: 14
    There is a known problem with '03 E500 and S500 motor mounts, normally exhibiting a slight side-to side engine movement when stopped and a diesel-type sound under hard acceleration. It's a quick and free replacement fix with a tech bulletin. Your dealer should know about it. The 320 engine has no common engine mount problem.
  • franciebabyfranciebaby Member Posts: 1
    Can't decide which interior, ash or charcoal with the Pewter exterior for the 2003 E320. Never owned black interior, how does it hold up?
  • bigrobnhbigrobnh Member Posts: 114
    backing out this morning I noticed that the wood trim that runs from the instrument cluster to the passenger side vent is cracked completely thru in 3(!) places. Guess this car doesn't like the cold of NH that much. Considering the fact that the car is garaged and driven very few miles I can't believe how many issues I've had with it (2001 E320 4Matic).

Later,
    BigRob.
  • wilkerson1wilkerson1 Member Posts: 7
    The motor mounts sound like the likely culprit. The dealers head mechanic did acknowledge that's what causes the slight shudder when in park. I'll pursue that avenue for now.

Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.