Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedans

Comments

• 2ndmb2ndmb Posts: 72
    You should check edmunds on the value of this car. I've seen them on MB dealer sights for as much as 47k. I think a good price is going to be close to 40-42k. Anything more than that, you should consider a new style E320.
  • mbnut1mbnut1 Posts: 403
    Thanks for the response. I hope that you are correct. It doesn't make sense to me that Mercedes would not have included the changes when thet updated model, however I remain a little unsure because the IIHS grouped "1997 to "early" 2000's" and "late" 2000 to 2002's. BTW which 2000 E do you have and how do you like it?
  • joeadpjoeadp Posts: 68
    I have the E320 silver/charcoal interior.

The car is amazing. Best car I have ever owned.
    Love the feel of quality in the interior and the
    responsive engine.

I have two other cars but this one is a keeper.
    One option I would add is a 4 matic.

Good luck
  • khicekhice Posts: 13
    I'm considering my first MB purchase--this will also be my first used car purchase. A 1999 E320 sedan, 46,900 miles, one owner, Starmark Certified. The car is in excellent condition, clean & has every option as far as I can tell, though I am surprised at the lack of steering wheel control buttons. The car performs well though the auto transmission shifts rougher than I expected. The dealer is reputable & has the car priced at the midpoint of the KBB and Edmunds range (upper 20's). Is there anything in particular I should look for before buying & what kind of maintenance investment can I expect down the road. I plan to keep the car at least 2 years.
  • The Stone interior is simply the most elagant and stunning interior I have seen but it does get dirty. The seats are fine. But the cloth interior near the foot wells and the bottom of the door are easily smudged by the shoes... You have to put some effort into cleaning it...I would recommend to MB that the cloth/fabric like interior close to and around the footwells be of some other material..
  • khice:

When I bought my first E320 (haven't bought the second yet, may never have to!) it had 38,000 miles and was Starmarked. The dealer had replaced all brake pads and front rotors and all four tires. And also refinished one fender that had a very small scratch. The Starmark goal is to deliver you a car that is virtually new and you should make sure that kind of maintenance is done before you agree to a deal. Maintenance that you might have to do within the two years really depends upon mow many miles you put on it. I had to have the front end suspension and steering rubber bushings replaced around 75,000 under the Starmark warranty ( normal retail around $1000) and I've replaced all the cooling hoses and the ignition wires and plugs, between 85,000 and 95,000 miles. I've also replaced the front pads twice and most recently installed new rotors again. (I did the hoses, ignition, and brake overhaul myself for BIG savings; total parts around $350.)

You mentioned roughness in the shifting. Beware of that because one thing it should do is shift smoothly with a slight feeling of firmness, not roughness..

The E class is an awesome auto! Good luck with it if you buy it!
    Does anyone have some info on when the E350 4 matic pricing and order info will be available? This is with the new 245hp V-6. I have heard that this is coming in August 2003 as an 04 model. Any insight is appreciated
  • joeadpjoeadp Posts: 68
    Seems too early for change to the new E320.

An E350 will reduce the resale value of the new E.

Just my opinion.
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    I also heard this fall for the E350 sedan, with arrival date of Septeber/October. We were in the dealership checking on a possible replacement of our SUV with a new E350 Wagon w/ 4-matic. Still no word on when that will be available.

joeadp - If you recall, the E420 was replaced with the E430 within one year of the last redesign. The 3.2 liter V-6 has been targeted for replacement for well over a year. It should not come as a surprise and probably won't affect resale on the 2003 that much. What will be more interesting will be what happens with MB's introduction of their new, high performance, diesel engines to the US market. An associate who has one (E270) in Germany claims that it outperforms the 3.2 liter V-6 gas in all categories AND gets 30+ mpg at 100+ mph on the Autobahn. That is probably part of the reason for MB's decision to upgrade the 3.2 to a 3.5 liter V-6.
  • I have a 1994 MB E320. Coolant low level light illuminates, even though coolant level is adequate and I have never had to add coolant. MB service rep mentioned that coolant level and washer fluid level are on the same circuit, so I topped off the washer reservoir (which was low) and the coolant level light hasn't illuminated since.

Any experience with this? If so, any info on fixes?
  • acco20acco20 Posts: 208
    Seems no fix is needed...If that light comes on, one of those two fluids is low...I think?
  • I have a 2001 E320 with standard 11-spoke wheels. I apparently ran over a container of paint or other chemical and there are numerous ( approx. 1/4 of the rim) places where the original paint is damaged on one wheel. My question is: has anyone had their wheel(s) repainted? The cost of a new wheel was quoted at several prices between $320 and $680. Thanks.
    try wheelcollision.com
  • paulchiupaulchiu Posts: 378
    Cannot decide on the color, need help!

My last 2 Benz had been brilliant silver/charcoal and I wanted to try something new on my 2004 E55 order.

Thinking :

1) Pewter
    2) Desert silver
    3) Obsidian Black

All with Ash interior.

My main concern is that the blacks seems to show scratches very easily. Am I wrong?

Thanks for any ideas.
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    Once again, I recommend at least checking out the tectite grey and charcoal combination. My neighbor's has an E500 in that combination and it is beautiful.

And yes, black shows everything. Just go to your local dealer and try to find a "pristine" 2+ year old black Mercedes and check it out in the sunlight. It will show swirl marks and other imperfections that you never would have noticed in your silver one.

What are they projecting as a delivery date for a 2004 E55 and what is the price, if I might ask?
  • paulchiupaulchiu Posts: 378
    One dealer said as early as August, the other Sept/Oct. The earlier dealer said no mark ups if I place a deposit for it now, while the other cannot promise on the markups (over list, 74K).

Funny thing (actually not that funny..) is that the second dealer has sold me 2 previous Benzes.

So much for loyalty.
  • I just ordered an 03 - E5 and I am trying to add the multicontour seats, yet I have not been able to see one at the dealer, any one has an idea whether this are similar to sport seats found on BMWs?
    I have a 00 528 that I love but I am making the switch to MB, and I just would like to know if any one is owned a BMW in the past and made the switch, what is your overall impression about
  • General consensus on the mbworld.org forums is that the multicountour seats are a waste of money. The money would better be spent on the drive-dynamic seats or the active-ventilated seats. The standard seats are not bad at all though.
  • mbnut1mbnut1 Posts: 403
    I had my brother looked over a 2000 E320 for me today and asked that he look for ID stickers on the body panels like the fenders. He didn't think the car had been wrecked but niether he nor the salesman could find any other than the one on the truck behind the liscense plate. Should they be there on that vintage E class?
  • I had been told in the past that MB does not negotiate prices, but MB in Miami, FL sold me E500 for $2000 over invoice (about $2000 under MSRP) , which it may not be great but is something.