Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedans

Comments

• joeadpjoeadp Member Posts: 68
    Any experience with a Benz with Warranty Direct or Warranty Gold.

Yes, I know there is a topic discussing the item however, wondering if any first hand experience using the warranty at the Benz dealer.

Thanks
  • sovrensovren Member Posts: 17
    Check out this link if you are waiting for the Nav system for your 2003 E-class..... I think you will be very happy.

Please post here if you also ordered the Nav in your 2003 E. I would like to get a group of us so we can keep each other informed. Thanks!

http://www.imakenews.com/autospies/e_article000147532.cfm?x=a1Flj- t5,aKRmw5V
  • pompano73pompano73 Member Posts: 20
    Hey Everybody! I've been having a great time reading all of your posts and need some friendly advice... I currently have a 2001 E320, love the car but don't think I will be keeping it after the warranty is up. I have been contiplating having the dealership install the phone w/voice control because I am constantly in the car for work reasons and hate having to answer the phone while driving(Plus it's a cool feature). Is it wise to save the 2500.00 and not do it since I'm getting rid of the car in about 1 1/2 or should I go ahead and do it. Anybody have ths option and could give opinions? The dealer has also been talking to me about just trading it in and getting the new E with that option. Which would you do? I would probablly lease this time since I like a new car every 3yrs. what would I expect to pay for E320 sunroof package, phone with voice, and cd changer. I'm in South Florida anybody know of any good deals? Thanks again for all of your trusted help!!
  • footiefootie Member Posts: 636
    I have always been suspect of cellphone technology being 'built-in' to a car, even a MB.

Cell phones change very fast and I rode in a friend's MB the other day that is about 4 years old. The phone in it looked like something that belonged in the Smithsonian. He said he never used it much when he got the car and turned it off. He said "No one is impressed by an old cell phone built-in to a car."

The big issue is that the integration today is between your pc and cellphone and PDA. The car isn't part of that loop, so it's usually not possible to transfer phonebooks.So how many hours are you going to spend programming your MB phone to recognize your voice?

I just got a new Mot T720 GSM phone from ATT Wireless. It weighs 3.5 oz. To voice dial, I press a button on the side of the phone and speak their name. All of my important names and numbers are in it. Many of them are on a transferable SIM card.

It cost $150. Why in the world would I pay MB and a dealer $2500 for the same thing.

Plus, MB electronics these days are a big ? mark and not their forté.

Just my humble opinion.

Good luck in your decision making.
  • donald02donald02 Member Posts: 54
    I agree with Footie and would add the comment that next year 3RD generation phones operating at 350K-1.2Megs will become available in the U.S. Once that happens, all previous 1ST, 2ND, and 2.5 generation phones will be obsolete and your $2500 expenditure will be down the toilet. If you must have a voice recognition phone now go with Footie's recommendation. If you can wait a year get a 3RD generation phone. Save your $2500 for a nice vacation.
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Finally, finally you and I agree on something! I too could never see paying that much money for a phone that is basically tied to a car. I have a Samsung AH500 and it does everything I could ever want a cell phone to do. I guess some people do a lot of driving and want everything intergrated, but the whole concept is lost on me. I guess, BMW and Mercedes see this too, as Bluetooth is coming, its supposed to integrate all types of different phones.

M
  • jb_shinjb_shin Member Posts: 357
    In UK, there may be a law in the near future which would ban mobile phone from being used while driving the car. The law will only allow the integrated phones which has steering wheel controls, and built in voice-activated features, etc. This makes those hands-free kit virtually useless as they are not fully integrated with the car. I am not sure if it will pass to become a law, but how long before someone proposes such law in the US?

BMW already has Bluetooth kit, but there are only 3 or 4 phones currently in the market that are compatible. Further, not all of them can synchronize the phone/address book with the car, apparently. BTW, it costs about $1,200 for the kit from what I heard.
  • bigrobnhbigrobnh Member Posts: 114
    well, I had the MB integrated phone installed when I purchased my 2001 E320. I didn't go for the voice activation as I viewed THAT as being overkill.

Some of the comments that have been having me scratching my head.
    1) looks like something out of the smithsonian. The phone, a Motorola Timeport, sits in a cradle in the armrest. It isn't even visible. It is tri-mode and works just fine on my nationwide calling plan. True, if you're looking to play tetris it is not the phone to get. It is a very fine cellular phone. I prefer the flip phone style to the tiny little nokias etc anyhow as it's more like talking into a real phone.

2) the phone is not tied to the car. It pops out of the cradle easily. The integration with the car is first rate (though I wish I could tell that I have phone mail). YOu can even do your speed dialing through the 10 buttons on the dash. Calls are easily made/answered with the steering wheel controls. The audio quality is fantastic throught he stereo and the microphone is very sensitive. I get nothing but extremely positive feedback on the system.

Overpriced? Yes. Should you get it? Try it and see. The way I see it is this is probably the most reliable part of the car and is, thus, the least of my concerns.

BigRob.
  • 3star3star Member Posts: 3
    After skimming through all of the previous messages, I'm making my first post to the board.
    Four weeks ago I purchased a beautiful 1999 E Class Wagon (I like to call it an "estate"), mint condition, black opal, with only 30,000 miles (49,000 km for us Canucks). Just love the car. Does anyone know where I can get a 1999 E Class brochure. Also, since I will keep the car as long as possible (10-15 years), does anyone have comments on rustproofing. The owners manual states that its not necessary but it may be prudent to do something to control corrosion.
  • onlyagirlonlyagirl Member Posts: 45
    I got this in my 2000E320.....didn't get voice activation....it's the little supposedly digital Startac......I may be wrong but I believe MB only used this one for 1 year......it took me forever to get it activated....no one knew what to do with it......finally got it activated and used it for about a year or less...I liked my little Nokia better.......I actually tried to get it reactivated about a month ago and Cellular South could not activate it.......said it was way outdated technology.....so for me it's worthless.....but it was such a cool idea.....
  • EdsotoEdsoto Member Posts: 42
    I have a 2002 E320 with the integrated MB phone:

A hands-free phone is great, but get an aftermarket one. www.cellport.com has an aftermarket hands-free system with voice activation that allows you to pick any cellphone you want. This same company/technology will be available in future Benzes.

What you don't get if you go with any aftermarket:
    Steering wheel integration; Dashboard integration; full radio integration. (The cellport system will blank out your radio when you make/receive a call); but you can't dial using the radio's keypad [but some cell phones have voice activation].

On another note: What may happen: Current owners (like me) MAY be able to upgrade their Timeports to the future phone system for a price :(
    For some reason, I doubt that this will ever take place.

Reason not to get MB the integrated phone:
    If it breaks (under warranty), MB dealers have to send it out to Motorola for a new one; You could be without a phone for about 10 days. If you drop it and it breaks, you're out several hundred dollars. Warranty does not cover a broken screen.

The Timeport is a tried and true cellphone: It works (just like the old home rotary phones). If you like that sort of thing and can be happy with it for the next 2 years or so... It probably won't add anything to the resale value of the car.

What should happen if you have voice-mail is that the radio/cd player should blank out every so often. This indicates that you have voice mail. This maybe carrier dependent though.

Also: Only the Mercedes Benz's branded Timeports will integrate with the car. A regular Timeport will NOT work in the car, no matter what anyone says!

Also: Depending upon what you are offered: You could go with a Timeport or V60. I don't think they are interchangeable.

I'm on my 3rd Timeport:
    Original One: Radio Kept Saying processing. Phone replaced. 2nd One: Radio kept saying NO Phone. Phone replaced (Did not get reimbursed for the 45.00 Nokia that I used for 10 days - now I have a backup phone); 3rd One: So far so good.

Since I bought my phone with the car, I have a 4 year warranty on it. If you buy it aftermarket, find out if you get a 1 year or remainder of the car warranty with it. GET IT IN WRITING!!!

Good Luck.
  • w210w210 Member Posts: 188
    I really like them, had the Timeport in the E55 (no voice recognition) and the V60 in the SL500 (full kit with voice recognition).

Best features:

1. You can have your music loud and the system will automatically mute everything (no missed calls), and your incoming call (if you have caller ID) will be displayed on the dash and radio.

2. Constantly charging the battery (not sure if the frequent charges may shorten its life though).

I find my time much more productive when stuck in traffic with the MB phones. Never do I have to dangerously fish for the phone to see if it was ringing (and to check who was calling me), mess with the radio, or struggle with the car charger when the phone was low on battery.

I find myself checking office voice mail much more frequently when it's only a steering wheel button away.

Of course, no more ear plugs, microphone cords messing with the seatbelts.

Downside? Cost and if you're changing the car in a year or so, it may not be worth it depending on the number of calls you make in the car.

To me, cell phone (like computers) become obsolete so quickly and at such a high cost, the question is whether you use it enough to justify the huge depreciation, as you will not get anything out of it when you sell the car.

If you plan to buy another MB after your current E-class, it may be worthwhile to call MB parts to see if you can take the phone with you? I know MB are trying to make their phone systems more 'forward compatible', i.e. you can keep the system and only upgrade the handset.

They're also coming up with bluetooth universal kits for the 2004 E I believe.
    Thanks for all the great advice. The dealer told me I was getting the V60I phone which is current. $2,500 is a hard pill to swallow but I made the appointment anyway for Monday. They had to order the voice control unit so I figured I better at least make the appointment. I'll check out the bluetooth website this week. I will definately keep you guys informed as to what happens. I have a great dealership I work with and they said similar to what all of you said. Do you think enough time has lapsed for NEW E to have bugs ironed out?
  • houstonmerchoustonmerc Member Posts: 65
    I have a 2000 E320 and am considering trading in for a 2004 E500. I assume they will not be very substantial, but does anyone have any info on likely changes for 2004, and any idea on when they will be out? Also any comments on problems with or kudos for the 2003 E500s. Thanks.
  • r1_97r1_97 Member Posts: 181
    We have an '01 E-320 and just sold an '98 E-320 to buy a Lexus RX330. One reason to switch to Lexus was the reliability factor.

You'll no doubt notice the increased thrust in the V8 over the 6 when you drive the 500. For my driving, I found the E320 power more than adequate. I never drive over 80mph and the 0-65 acceleration gets me on the freeway on ramps at freeway speeds without slowing existing traffic.

My guess is that MB will fix some of the 1st year bugs in the '03 design of the E. Maybe make the brakes a little less "touchy."

You'll like the tighter suspension on the new E. More like a sports car. Maybe they'll make the '04 even tighter to go with the increased power in 500.

I assume gas guzzling isn't a concern for you.
    Well after all of that the dealer told me that I would be unable to keep the same number for the new phone. Since I do so much advertising with this number it would be impossible to change. However I do appreciate all the help and advice you all have given and will come back to you when it's time to buy again. Thanks again for the great advice!!
  • sovrensovren Member Posts: 17
    If you read the last paragraph of the letter, it looks like you must have paid up front to get this offer.

My reccomendation is not to deal with the dealer. Instead talk to the Mercedes area rep. Ask the dealer for his number. If they won't give it to you, call the headquarters in NJ and get it from them.

I had a problem with my 2001 C. I dealt with the rep directly and was able to negotiate $5000 more in compensation than the dealer was willing to give. Hence I ended up with the E.

You may have a case. Especially if the dealer "promised" you could add it on later.

I have one of these cars, and I prepaid for the NAV so I am on the list. I will be dealing with my area rep to get a 2004 as a replacement. Who knows what else has changed. It scares me that I may be getting a "retrofitted" 2003.

Its worth a shot!
  • nankynanky Member Posts: 75
    I recently placed an order for an E500 to replace my wife's '01 C320 and would appreciate hearing from a few members about their price negotiation experiences. Thanks!
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    http://car.kak.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=news&file=- article&sid=977

It will be standard on the the E 500, S 430, S 500, CL 500 and SL 500 models this fall.

M
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    ..I've been very troubled by what appears to be a decline in the quality, reliablity and customer service of Mercedes. Many on this board have posted more than a few problems that, IMO, warrant more attention than a 7-speed automatic transmission.

The E-class Wagon, and possibly future turbodiesel sedan, remain on my future shopping list when it comes time to replace our SUV and sedan. But I am not pleased to see some apparant backsliding in quality control and reliability. My informal poll of as many business associates and friends as possible seems to show far fewer problems - large and small - with the BMW 5-series than the Mercedes E-class. Electrical component malfunctions still seem to top the list. Unfortunately, the BMW 5-series Wagon just isn't comparable in size or versitility as the E-Wagon.

I hope Mercedes can find a way to redirect some of their engineering to getting the basics right before they embark on an 8 speed transmission.

Just venting.
  • philteethphilteeth Member Posts: 1
    has anyone heard anything about the 2004 E-class SEDAN due out this August? it's supposed to have a much improved navigation/communication system called COMAND (yes, one M only). apparently, the E55 AMG that's coming out this May does not have the COMAND option (and it's a 2003! very late for an '03 to come out in May!). I'd really appreciate any info on the 2004 E-class sedan (there's plenty of info on the 2004 E-wagon on the net).
  • rodwilliamsrodwilliams Member Posts: 6
    It's confirmed that the 2004 E Class will come equipped with DVD Navigation. The question remains is will it also have DVD movie capability.

Rod
  • irvnirvn Member Posts: 11
    I own a 2000 E430 with the COMAND system and the voice activated phone. I will tell you that I have had my share of bad luck with electrical problems with my COMAND and phone. I would advise you to wait a year or two to see if MB makes a real push to improve the quality of the electrical components of the car. I was under the impression that Nokia was going to produce the COMAND system in the future.
  • benzownerbenzowner Member Posts: 20
    Nokia will be makeing the command system in 2005 i think. look here.
    http://www.mbspy.com/comand.htm
    This may be a stupid ? but I have never had an integrated car phone. If I get an E500 with the phone, can I get my service programmed through the phone in the car or does it take some type of different service? I assume that the integration in the car is very nice, ie being able to answer the phone with the steering wheel controls(?).
    You can get your service activated for your car phone. The integration is very nice. I have a Lexus GX 470 and a standard V60 which is a real pain to dial or look at the phone in the car. I think the MB phone is a better option as far as safety is concerned. The other downside outside of cost; V60 was $150.00 without the rebate at Verizon vs. $2500.00 for a Startac with my 2000 E430 is the cost to replace or repair. . . I also think that car phones can be a real source of electrical problems. . .
  • acco20acco20 Member Posts: 211
    anyone who pays $2500.00 for an intergrated phone is [xxxxxx], fill in the blank.Some are even more costly. Yes,there are some minor advantages, but wow, they can not justify this kind of $$$$. JMHO.
    I just had my 2000E320 washed the other day and when I got it back the drivers seat will not go back all the way.......it doesn't seem to have anything stuck on the track as the motor does not whine or make any noise like it's laboring......it just gets to a certain point and stops...the head restraint also will not move....fuse? or something got unplugged while being cleaned? Any suggestions? Actually the car is still in warranty but I was just wondering if this has happened to anyone else.....
  • bigrobnhbigrobnh Member Posts: 114
    dont know about the seat but the motor that adjusts the drivers headrest failed within the first year for me (2001 E320 4Matic). Weird thing is I'm the only driver so the headrest had been moved less than 10 times. Not a very robust part.

BigRob.
    No riot acco20, but I purchased the integrated phone because it is easier to manage while driving. I have a V60 with my Lexus GX 470 and I can tell you that it is not very safe to take your eyes off the road to dial a ten digit phone number. I am not sure which is [xxxxx], but I think the integrated phone is safer and I am not sure of the cost of the phone vs fixing your car. . .
    vs fixing your car. . . in an accident. Believe me, I think that the phone options are quite expensive. I would now wait until Bluetooth technology makes it into the MB line in a few years. . .
  • acco20acco20 Member Posts: 211
    how do you dial a 10 digit phone number with an integrated phone? Don't you have to punch the numbers into a hand set. If you are talking about speed dial, most hand held units have that capability. My hand held sits in a magnetic holder on the dashboard, and it has two way talk. I do not pick it up.I keep it on "speaker on" in it's perch, and when a call comes in, I push the button and start talking.If I want to make a call I push the appropriot number key and push send,and start talking.My phone was $19.00 with a two year contract. Again...just my thoughts, if paying $2500.00 for an integrated phone is your thing... then so be it.
    I use the voice activation to dial the phone number. I pull back on the stalk and get a voice prompt to enter the number. When a call comes in, you use the controls on the steering wheel and start your call; the radio or CD is muted and the sound comes in over the speaker system for the car. Bluetooth technology is the best of both worlds in that you can have the car telematics without being tied to a handset that will cost a lot to replace if it gets lost or broken. I had my MB phone replaced under warranty recently; the cost is almost $500 for a rebuilt MB unit. . . I am going to sell my 2000 E 430 because of reliability concerns, as my warranty expires, and I will probably not buy another integrated unit and wait for Bluetooth. . .
  • jfz219jfz219 Member Posts: 63
    I had my 2000 E320 for about 6 months and wondered why the passenger seat went back farther than the driver's seat. Then my daughter with shorter legs drove my car and the seat would not return to my position. The cure was to move the seat all the way forward. This resets the controls and allows the seat to move in its full range.

In similar fashion, if the windows do funny things like roll up and drop down about 2", use your keyless remote to fully lower and raise the windows.
    jfz219......I tried moving up.....but I don't think I went all the way up.......I had just had it washed and cleaned inside and I am wondering if something got loose.......anyway I just traded so it's not my problem anymore! :)
    About the integrated phone....I got it in my 2000E320, it was a digital MOtorola StarTac.....took about 4 months before anyone could activate it..no one had any idea what to do with it..finally got it activated at Cellular South......didn't like the phone so I had it deactivated about 1 year later.....tried to reactivate about 2 months ago and was told the technology was so outdated it couldn't be activated again......as I've posted before I think this is the only year this particular Startac was used....it has a movable antenna and clearly says digital on the phone but the cellular companies I took it to insisted it was analog...( I think it is tdma )...I think it was ahead of it's time for awhile.....at least here in our little area of the world......great idea though......
  • jlindgrenjlindgren Member Posts: 1
    My wife and I currently own a C-Class and are thinking of upgrading to an E-Class. I am looking for feedback concerning the long term reliability of the engine. Most 1-2 yr old 320's have around 35k miles. What kind of mileage can we expect to get out of the 6 cylinder motor?
  • jfz219jfz219 Member Posts: 63
    My 2000 E320 has 45,500 miles. Driving is a mix of city and highway. Mileage has been an absolute low of 21 mpg for winter city driving and 30-33 for long distance trips with AC at 70-80 mph.

The only repair was the seal on the differential. This was found during routine warrantee servicing. Out-of-pocket service and maintenance costs have been the purchase of a set of four Blizzak snow tires with alloy wheel for winter use.

The interior looks like new; the exterior has done well with Zaino maintenance; and the original tires (MCXV4) will go about 45,000 miles with a tire pressure 2psi higher than recommended.
    What rumors have any of you heard concerning the upcoming MY?

1. 3.7L Engine
    2. Pivoting Head Lights
    3. New Colors Combos
    4. TV/DVD option on COMAND II

Any others?!?
  • microrepairmicrorepair Member Posts: 508
    jlindgren;

You didn't state which model year you're looking at. I've got the I6 but the newer E's (1998 on) have the V6. There are differences in reliability. The I6 has a known problem with the right front corner of the head gasket. Mine (1996) started to leak at 116,000 miles (118,000 now) so I'll have to do something about it later this year for upwards of $1000 ... Not a pleasant thought..! Maybe I'll trade it in!!

I haven't heard if the V6 has any generic problems..
    2004 E320 maybe changing to E350 next year, with a 3.7L engine.
    I loved my 2000 E320.....my only advice is to get one that has an extended warranty ...I guess from Starmark ( or whatever it's called)..I had some problems that would have been expensive had it not been in warranty.....no engine problems.... had the catalytic converter replaced......then 4 months later more work on exhaust system or emissions systems, they said it wasn't the catalytic converter again but it sounded exactly the same..... cracked dashboard( discovered by a technitian when it was in for repairs to the cat converter)....had to be replaced...and some minor computer problems...overall I loved it and would have kept it if I had known to buy the extended warranty within the first 12 /12,000...... and the dealer was about a 2 hour drive away from me....so it was a day off every time I had to take it in.....my gas milage was never as low as 21 but I don't have winter driving conditions.....I'd guess 26 to 31 or so.....it had 42k miles when I traded.......
  • r1_97r1_97 Member Posts: 181
    I've had 2 E320s, a '98 and an 01. Because of the major warranty work (replace transmission) on the '98, I bought a 4 yr. addl. warranty (8 yrs. total) on the '01. I agree w/ onlygirl that they're great cars to drive but sorely lacking in quality control for such an expensive car. Repair work is very expensive.

After almost 6 years, I sold the '98 and bought a Lexus. Still like driving the '01 and so far have had only minor problems. I sleep better knowing I've got 8 years of warranty.
  • benz4ibenz4i Member Posts: 2
    Great discussion board....Looking at buying used '98 E320 with 74K, who sells ext warranty in Houston? Who offers value repairs in Houston if extended warranty is not available?

Thx
    benz4i:

I think the other folks are talking about the original new car warranty and extending it. THat can only be done through a MB dealer within the first year of purchase. OTherwise, you might be dealing with a Starmark warranty on a used MB. I bought my E-class used and the Starmark warranty was good for an additional year up to a total of 100K miles. That gave me a 3 year balance and 62K miles balance. Worked out pretty good since it needed a $1000 repair at 70K miles 2.5 years later. Along with a couple of other much smaller repairs. If buying a used one with Starmark, you CAN buy additional years at the time of purchase, but if the car already has 74K, it might not be worth it to get additional time; you really need additional miles.

If you're buying from a non-MB dealer you cannot get either of those warranties but must try to get a third party warranty that will actually pay when there is a problem. I believe there is a Town Hall discussion on third party warranties.

I did check into a few of them when my Starmark warranty was about to run out and there are a few that will cover high mileage cars, but it can cost as much as $1200 per year. Some were less money, but I have a hunch that you get what you pay for on these repair warranties. So far I haven't had engine or transmission failure (117K miles) but my E will need a head gasket possibly before the year is out. That may cost me up to $1000, so I might have recovered the cost of insurance. Maybe..

Good luck..
    regarding model year improvements. Was it the 2000 or the 2001 model year when the E had approximately 900 upgrades/improvements, according to MB? I may be in the market for a newer one soon and I'd like to get the one with the most improvements.
  • mb2003mb2003 Member Posts: 7
    I own a new 2003 E320. Black w/ Stone interior (tan). I used to own a BMW that has a left foot rest for the driver. But, in E320, this feature is missing. Thus, my left foot is planted on top of tan colored carpet. Not really helpful in keep the interior neat and clean.

MB should have this feature.
  • mbdrivermbdriver Member Posts: 426
    The "big" change in the E-Class was with the 2000 model. They lowered the hood-line (which resulted in the diesel not fitting), added turn signals to the outside mirrors (which also changed in shape), added the GPS antenna on the rear part of the roof, etc. I'm not sure about other changes, but they were substantial.

I have a 2000 E320, and a friend has the 2001 model. The only difference I can see is in the gear shift knob.

Hope this helps.
    Though it may be minor, I believe the other change from 2000 to 2001 was a one touch sunroof dial. In my 2000 you have to hold the knob up until the sunroof is all the way back.
    Many thanks to mbdriver and houstonmerc for the info.
    I had forgotten about the hood slope change.. Was that the first year of the rack and pinion steering also?

Have either of you owned the 96-99 model? If so notice any difference in handling or ride quality after moving to the 2000 model?
  • mbnut1mbnut1 Member Posts: 403
    the entire 210 model begining in '96 had the rack and pinion steering. I am also curious whether the 2000's feel different ie (most substantial) than the pre2000's
This discussion has been closed.