Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedans

Comments

• fsmmcsifsmmcsi Member Posts: 792
    While the diesel is coming (to all but 5 states), the Supercharged 3.2 V6 from the C-class would be a good engine for the E-class - good power, and better fuel efficiency. For now, the 500 seems to be the best choice. The car weighs too much for the V6.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    When is it expected in the US? 2004 model year?

I have noticed that 1998/1999 E-class turbodiesels are often selling as used cars in the DC area for as much or more than similar mileage E430 V-8's (well above E320 gas). I'm sure this is limited supply related, but the turbodiesel is a Mercedes strong suit.
  • cooley2cooley2 Member Posts: 1
    I just test drove my first MB, a 97 E320. It is an outstanding automobile, but under hard acceleration the transmission seemed to shift to the next gear a little differently than any other car I have driven. When it shifted to the next higher gear it felt like it slipped a little before it locked up. Almost like it was trying to shift more smoothly under hard acceleration. Is this normal or is it a sign of possible transmission problems? Thanks for the help!
  • benzownerbenzowner Member Posts: 20
     it's trying to shift more smoothly under hard acceleration. All our mercedes do that.
  • mtracmtrac Member Posts: 4
    Am considering one of these (41K miles/$28K). I own a 1995 Passat and am trying to avoid another German headache. Are they good cars? Beside the engine, are there major differences between this and the 320? Thanks.
    Yea more Horsepower and more standard features
  • footiefootie Member Posts: 636
    They have a good headache report for the Benz by class by year in your local library. It's worth reading. None of the recent E's rate above 'average' in terms of reliability and maintenance issues. Similar to VW, maybe a little better, but not up with Lexus, Infiniti and BMW 5 series.
  • auzivisionauzivision Member Posts: 8
    uesername: mbdriver, according to your past posts, you appear to have the knowledge I'm seeking. Currently I own a 1998 STS and looking at a 2000 E430 to replace it. While I love the STS it's begining to show it age at 120K. I really thing I like the E430 and wanted your input on the comparisons. Besides turning off and on the headlights, what will I miss.

I particularly like the accceraltion, handling, comfort, reliablilty, and sound system of the STS. How does the MB compare?

Also, I'm many things are better on the MB. What are the advantages and disadvantages to the MB.

Does anyone know if $32K for a 2000 E430 with 29K is a good deal. Sounded pretty good to me, but I've haven't shopped this car before.

Any input you may offer is greatly appreciated.
  • irvnirvn Member Posts: 11
    Auzivision:

I currently own a 2000 E430 that I have on the market for $35K with 23K miles. The car has the COMAND system, digital phone, and a 6CD changer. I think most of the issues with my E-class have been electrical, which seems to be consistent the MB from the C to the S class. I think the car is nice in terms of size, braking, etc. I guess one could just factor in a certain amount for electical components as the car gets older.
  • microrepairmicrorepair Member Posts: 508
    Wow, E430's with 30-40K miles for only 28-32K?? (Or 35K for irvn's 23K miles) You guys can't be in New England. Around here the dealers are asking 42-45K for animals such as those.. Even E320's are in the 35-38K range.. Course, all the above are Starmarked..
    Those New England prices are insane!! You need to come south into the DC area. There are plenty of 2-3 year old E-classes beign sold by dealers and private party sellers at a full $10-12k less than those prices you qouted.

Example: 2000 E430 with 20k miles, loaded with Command/GPS navigation, built in phone, CD changer, showroom condition, balance of 7 year 100k warranty for $33,900 or best offer.

A friend of mine picked up an 2001 "S"430, fully loaded with under 30k miles for $39,500 from a departing diplomat. The car had been sold and serviced by Euromotors in Bethesda and still smells new.

Heck, if someone really wants to spend $42-45k on a used E class, there is even a 2003 E500 with 11k miles advertised for $49,900. I think that makes a lot more sense than paying $5-7k less for a 3 year older car.

Send your buddies south!!
  • mbnut1mbnut1 Member Posts: 403
    I had an opportunity to buy a white 2003 7k miles starmark e320 for 40K. This board didn't seem too impressed
  • mbdrivermbdriver Member Posts: 426
    Glad to try to help. I also had a '98 STS, but traded it in April 2000 (only 14,000 miles) for my E320.

I love my MB and did not miss the lack of a compass on the RV mirror, the rear heated seats or the automatic stowing upwards of the steering wheel when the driver's door is opened. My main frustration with the STS was its 18 gallon fuel tank -- twice around the block with that V-8, and I needed gas!

The MB has a 21+ gallon fuel tank, and I get 28 mpg at 85-90 mph on the highway. I think the handling of the MB is superior, and acceleration is similar. I upgraded my wheels and tires to 17", just what you'd get with an E430. You'll also have more than enough power and probably superior acceleration with the MB's V-8. And the tranny in the MB is smooth shifting and superb -- I love the ability to manually select gears by just bumping the shift knob left or right.

Reliability has been okay -- just one or two minor electrical problems taken care of under warranty. I have Xenon headlights (terrific!!!) and COMAND, which I'm glad I bought -- it's come in handy many times and isn't all that difficult to use. The sound system in the STS is probably better, but the upgraded Bose in my 320 is fine, including the CD changer in the trunk.

I have only 17,000 miles on the MB and I bought the MB extended warranty that will take me to 100,000 miles or 8 years. If you can find an E430 with that warranty, I'd definitely pay extra to get it. That probably means a Starmark car from a dealer, but you'll save in the long run.

Bottom line -- if I had everything to do all over again, I'd probably NOT have bought the STS and would have opted for the MB. The facelift and improvements in the 2000 models and later are great.

Hope this helps. If you'd like answers to specific questions, click on my user name and send me an e-mail.
  • houstonmerchoustonmerc Member Posts: 65
    I'm sure the changes for next year will not be that significant, but doesn anyone have any info on changes to the E in 2004 or know when they might be out? Also I am thinking of ordering (for the first time). Does anyone have any experience with ordering a Mercedes? Thanks.
  • clemboclembo Member Posts: 253
    Houston,

Even though the E-Class was new last year there will some changes on the 2004's. If you order an E500 the transmission will be a 7-speed. Also the E320 may change to an E350 sometime during the model year with the addition of a larger more powerful engine.

Either way the car is great, I have an E500. the premium sound system is great, I would be careful on your color selection as I ordered the Stone interior which is nice but the carpets are very light and show shoe scuffs and dirt very easily.

If you don't care about getting a 2003, I'll bet that you can get a good deal now as the model year will close out soon. Find a dealer that provides good service (pick-up and loaner for service visits) and build a good relationship with them. Sometimes paying a couple of dollars more with a dealer that you trust is worth it.

Good luck!
  • tusstuss Member Posts: 11
    do you really think that getting a 2004 model year e500 will be more reliable than a 2003 model year? I'm just wondering what changes the factory actually makes during the switchover--ie does the factory shut down for a month and the company retools everything, or do they just change the stickers/emblems on the car saying 2003 to 2004.
  • joeditjoedit Member Posts: 1
    I am a looking at buying a used E320 or E430 (2000 or 2001 model). 2 questions for those who have driven either of these vehicles- 1.Is it worth the extra $ to have the additional power of the 430 v. the 320? 2. I live in the northeast where we do get some bad weather in the winter- Is it worth getting a 4matic? I have never owned a MB before and am a complete novice when it comes to these types of vehicles. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
  • joeadpjoeadp Member Posts: 68
    I live in the Northeast and avoid driving my Benz when it snows.

Go with the 4matic if you can find one.
    The other option for snow is snow tires on the Benz. I did this on a prior Benz I owned and it made a huge difference.

As for 320 verse 420 I only know that the 320 is quite powerful. In addition the MPG is great.

Good luck
  • bigrobnhbigrobnh Member Posts: 114
    I own an E320 4Matic and live in NH. I put blizzak MZ01's on for winter driving. I don't have any trouble getting around in the winter.

I have to admit though that even though I run snow tires, the car is not a tank in the snow. The car has the torque biased to the rear (60 or 65 percent) and it really makes a difference. My wifes Subaru AWD sedan (and new wagon) which has the torque biased primarily to the front are both superior snow vehicles.

I would not buy one without some form of warrantee. Since you're talking used, I suppose that means the extra dollars for StarMark.

As far as 430 vs 320. I never drove the 430. I can get myself in plenty of trouble with my paltry 229 HP. The money I save every months on gas I throw in a bin toward future maintenance costs.

Regards,
    BigRob
    I will never again hold in contempt those that blast MB on the performance of the AM radio. My day care pickup started yesterday at the top of the 8th of the Redsox/Yankees game. AM radio station is about 30 miles away. I got about every 5th word. Being a redsox fan, I knew how it was going to go anyhow so I suppose I didn't even need to listen.

If AM is important to you, you'll need to spend 5 bucks on an el-cheapo Radioshack 9v transistor radio to carry with you.

Later,
    BigRob.
    At least that's what some of the MB ads were touting a year or two ago. I've got a 96 E320 with only the limited slip rear end, no ASR, no ESP, nada.. I do run Nokian or Michelin snows on all four wheels and have not a had a serious problem getting around in storms less than blizzard level. But I've been driving on snow (mostly rear drive cars) for about 3 centuries, so I guess I'm used to using a snowflake touch on the gas and brake pedals when it's snowing.
    I was coming back from Louisiana and Florida back in March and ended up in the middle of that fast moving snow storm that creamed southern Connecticut. I was on Rt. 95 west of New Haven for over 3 hours with SUMMER tires and the E was manageable the whole time. I think the weight plus the summer tires had lots of tread (they are Yokohamas that have a decent snow rating on Tire Rack) were the reasons it did OK.
    I have to believe that the '00 and newer ones with ESP and ASR have to be pretty decent on snow, even without AWD. Of course if your driveway is 1/4 mile long and at a 10 degree slope......???? Or if you have a job where you must absolutely make an attempt to get there....
    Keep in mind that the AWD system adds lots of parts to an already less than stellar reliabilty rating..
  • houstonmerchoustonmerc Member Posts: 65
    Not sure if anyone has seen it, but the JD Power ratings are out and Mercedes did a belly flop. They had almost twice as many problems as Lexus and Infinity, and substantially more than Buick, Mercury, and many others. They fell the most in the recent survey of any manufacturer, with the most problems in the SUV and E. I've got a 2000 E320 and am thinking of a 2004 E500, but I'm starting to wonder. . .
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    I don't know about some of the earlier production E's but mine (took delivery end of 1/03) mechanically has been great. I'd recommend it highly.
  • mbnut1mbnut1 Member Posts: 403
    Three centuries? Were your oxen equipped with Michelins or Nokian back then?
  • mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    For those who are thinking of buying the "previous" style E-class... I have to say mine has been wonderful. I have about 22,000 miles and had only a few things done. Both lighted vanity mirror covers broke off and replaced under warranty and I had a oxygen sensor replaced when the engine light came on. Other than that, it's been just regular maintenance. i have ice cold air... and I mean COLD! I just replaced the tires so my handling is like new again.

I did have a small accident recently and was amazed how well the car took the impact. A Ford Ranger Truck re-ended me pretty hard and did very little visible damage... just a bumper cap replacement, the absorbers behind the cover and a small nick on the trunk lid ($1,800 total). Because these thing will come up on any "investigation" on a car fax... I probably will keep it until the wheels fall off. I truly like the car and have had very little trouble with it. I'm a little afraid of replacing mine with a new model because of the new braking system, suspension, etc. on the 2003. Mercedes age so gracefully that replacing at every model change is not necessary.

Just my .02, Mark
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • weldone99weldone99 Member Posts: 26
    In regards of reports of problems with Mercedes, I've got a 2000 E320 with 34,000 miles and the only problem I have had is replacing a sensor for the ABS,esp,power steering control. Took 5 minutes to replace. Otherwise I have just change the oil and other routine maintenance. Still on the same tires with at least 10,000 left on them and brake linings have many more miles to go.
  • r1_97r1_97 Member Posts: 181
    What is normal duration for pads? My '01 E-320 had to have front pads replaced after only 12k miles. My older '98 E-320 ran about 25k miles before they needed replacement. The rear pads seem to last much longer. I don't drive w/ my foot on the brakes except when I want to stop.
    I'm becoming a bit disillusioned with my 2000 E320 after only 17,500 miles and a bit more than three years of ownership. I love the car, but I don't think reliability at this stage should be an issue with a $54,000 automobile.

BTW, the Washington Post had an article today about the results of a J.D. Powers survey on the reliability of German, American and Japanese built cars. Mercedes-Benz placed a horrible 26th (after being No.1 a short while ago), and German cars were rated BELOW American built cars. BMW placed a high 5th after Lexus, Infinity, Honda and Porsche.

This afternoon in 98 degree heat, the a/c fan quit (again). The compressor stays on, but the fan just stopped. Same thing happened last summer, and the dealer replaced "whatever" in the system. So I'm looking at still another trip to the dealer and leaving the car again. Even though it's under warranty and they provide a loaner, it's still very inconvenient.

In April, the engine warning light came on. The dealer replaced a sensor and also found a faulty brake system sensor that had to be replaced.

About 1 1/2 years ago my oil level sensor went bad and had to be replaced. That episode cost me lots of frustration and time.

Is anyone else experiencing these types of problems?
  • barry45rpmbarry45rpm Member Posts: 98
    While my head tells me that nothing says you've arrived like the 3 pointed star on the hood, other things tug at me. I currently drive a 2002 Cadillac DeVille DHS...big, quiet, fast & powerfull, w/ no "chick appeal". The Lexus GS 8 cyl calls to me. (I can buy one $500 over cost thru a friend at the local dealer), but some say its just an overblown Toyota. The Q 45 becons, (its an awesome performer, very well equipped, and "out there" but no one seems to want to buy one (Will I get killed at trade in time?) I think I could be happy with an E 500, equipped at about 65 thou sticker, but at that price range why not a lesser equipped S class for the same or less dough. What do I do?
    I have a suggestion. First read my Post # 5012 about recent MB reliability. Then compare the drivability and handling of the Lexus and Infinity with the "road feel" and "connected feeling" provided by German cars -- to me, the Japanese cars are far too light on the steering, don't provide much driver feedback, and are much like a large American car -- Caddy, Lincoln, Buick, etc.

Finally, consider a 2003 BMW 5-Series sedan -- the main competitor to the E-Class, with BMW rated 5th overall in reliability by J.D. Powers. Right now, with a totally new and revamped 2004 5-Series due here in October, BMW is offering a $4,000 incentive to their dealers on all 2003 5-Series models. In fact I just signed on the dotted line for one at $2,000 BELOW invoice. With optional equipment (auto, Premium Pkg, Cold Wx Pkg, Xenons, and a Powered Rear Sunshade, Moon Roof, etc), it listed for $47,045 MSRP and $43,085 Invoice. What a deal on a VERY reliable German luxury car!

BTW, I just spoke to my MB service advisor about the a/c fan on my 2000 E320 being inoperative in this 98 degree weather -- would you believe the next available appointment (including a loaner) is July 23? Or, I can have the car at the dealer's at 7:30 a.m. and wait. Or, I can have my wife follow me there and bring me home -- so I can get the car fixed before the weekend! But she'll of course have to drive me back to pick up the car!

The BMW is looking better all the time.
    mbnut:

My 320 oxen were shod with Napolean All-Terrain Booties.. Tread life wasn't too good on those crushed sea shell paved roads...
    I haven't read this report, but somewhere on Edmunds, I've read that someone claims that JD Powers includes customer comments such as "not enough cup holders" as black marks against the delivered quality of a new car. Jeez, that means a lot of people could complain about the E's flimsy articulated cupholder and pile up black marks.
    If that is true, then the JD Powers survey is meaningless and totally distorted in terms of a measure of actual quality or delivered problems. Can anyone verify the above rumor/suspicion?
    I've now got 119K miles on my 96 E320 and it just had the 5th set of front pads installed (at 116K) along with the 3rd set of front rotors. That works out to 29K per pad set and 58K per rotor. The rears had the second set of pads installed at the same time which was the first work ever done on the rear brakes. The rear rotors are still fine.
    Last week at 118,500 it needed a head gasket and a water pump. I've never owned a car before that needed a head gasket, but then I've never owned a car beyond 100K before either. I am disappointed that it needed a gasket so soon; many folks have said that they were able to go 150-180K before it needed that work. Apparently it is just this engine, the straight six, that has this generic problem. The newer V6 320 apparently is OK on this point.
    What was kinda weird is that prior to the major engine work, the dashboard outside temp display had a problem in the second digit, so that if the temp was 87, the seven had a blank vertical row of LED dots right in the middle of the numeral. After I got the car back from my dealer, the missing column of LED's are gone...!!! The display is perfect again.. Go figure...
    As far as overall reliablity, I've never been stranded by this car as I have by others, but it is far from the most durable I've owned. I had a 1988 Mazda MX-6 that was flawless until I traded it at 99K miles. And it was better than the E in cornering and lane changes, etc.. The suspension on it was great at high speed too. But of course it didn't have the solid steel-block feel of the E and its regal ride..
    Is the high level of maintenance worth it? I don't know, but I sure wish I could've gotten another 20-30K before the gasket went. Cuz' it would have been traded for a 2001 or 2002 E next spring. If an '01 or '02 is going to be as maintenance intensive as the 96, I may move on to another brand, maybe BMW or Kia. (Just checking to see if you're paying attention!) Seriously, maybe BMW or Infiniti/Nissan or Accura. More or less in that order of preference.
    mbdriver: Congratulations on your decision to go with a 5-series. Nothing against the E-class, as I have owned Mercedes in the past, but I do think the quality has slipped to unacceptable levels. Today's WSJ also had a write up on the JD Powers results.

barry45rpm: I second mbdriver's suggestion that you consider the 5-series. For the list price of the E500 you are considering ($65k), you are within $7k of a BMW M5. And $20k+ over a 530i. Regarding resale values, consider this: the local Mercedes dealer offered to buy my M5 outright for a $3,000 higher price than they gave my neighbor for his E55 on trade (SL55). The E55 had 4,000 fewer miles than my M5 and cost $3,000 more than my M5 new. If you are even remotely considering a Q45, I assure you that the actual cost of ownership of an M5 over 3-4 years wouldn't be much more; quite possibly less.
    My 1996 C-220 has a straight 4 cylinder and I’ve put 120,000 miles on the car and have had no problems. It has been trouble free just like all the Mercedes we have owned. And Mercedes has good engines they’re not just up to snuff on their electronics. But the Japanese will be building all there electronics In 2005
    mbdriver,
      I've had my car in three times to fix two failures with my climate control system. First time they lectured me on the fact that I don't understand how a computerized climate control system works. When they actually worked on it they found the fan speed regulator to be faulty. It failed again the next season (mine likes to quit in the winter). Wouldn't be surprised if it's the same issue as it looks like they have part with a known defect history.

BigRob.
    Gosh, I missed that annoucement! Got a link to share?

Which companies will be supplying the electronics and for which models?
    http://www.mbspy.com/comand.htm

this is the only link i could find the command will be built buy nokia
    Just got my E320 back this afternoon. Another local dealer I called at 7:30 this morning (HBL at Tysons Corner) gave me an immediate appointment and loaner car. They replaced almost everything associated with the climate control fan, including the fan motor, just to make sure. I was impressed with the entire service visit. They also did my B Service, even though the computer showed I had 2600 more miles.

What a pleasure!
  • fredisdeadfredisdead Member Posts: 2
    mbdriver: it sounds like you have experience with all three DC dealerships - Euro, ASC, and HBL.

Do you have any insight or anecdotes (purchase, service, etc.) about each? We're looking to buy either a new e class next year after they offer the diesel and wanted your impression on the dealers.

I saw the JDP survey and am wondering if we should look at the beemer as well.
  • dkatlantadkatlanta Member Posts: 23
    According to the account I read, the JD Powers report counts “problems per 100 cars,” without distinguishing one problem from another. The most frequently occurring “problems” for the E-class, I believe, were “excessive brake dust,” “electric windows,” and “uneven tire wear.” Two of these three may be simply be common to high performance cars.

I also wonder whether owners of these cars might be unusually picky when they identify and report “problems.” You drive in to the dealership at the time you’ve reserved, pick up your free loaner car (or wait in the executive lounge with the Starbucks coffee and the high speed internet connection), meet with your personal Service Advisor, and show him the list of “problems” you’ve compiled; you put down every little thing you can possibly think of—at least I do.

No, these cars still aren't Hondas, but when the tires on my wife's Oddysey wear out, I don't think of complaining to the dealership about the car, I just buy new tires.
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    It's amazing how people see these surveys differently.

M
    It turns out that you can use statistics to figure out whether a given car has likelihood of a given number of defects if you know the mean or average.

In MB's case the JDPower reported mean was 3.18 defects per car. Lexus was 1.63. The impact on owners is easily computed.

For example the likelihood of 6 defects in the Benz is just over 10%. It's less 1% for the Lexus.

This is why getting to know a good Mercedes service shop is critical to use of the vehicle.

JDPower does a good job of presenting individual year ratings on their 'consumer website' broken down by  

Mechanical Dependability
    Feature & Accessory Dependability
    Body & Interior Dependability
    Overall Dependability

Five Dots = Among the best
    Four Dots = Better than most
    Three Dots = Doesn't stand out
    Two Dots = The rest

2000 E is Two Dots in all categories.

p.s. Statistical calcs per Robert Dovich's Quality Engineering Statistics page 54. 1992 ASQ Press.
  • jean7of9jean7of9 Member Posts: 192
    Congratulations for your New 5 Series. I am now driving a fully equipped 03 BMW 330xi since March 03. The price of this car with all options touches the edge of the 5 Series. But boy what a drive. The only problem is ingress and outgress due to B Pillar. But once inside it is all worth it. You will certainly have better access inside the 5 Series. I still own my 99 E320 4matic which I seldom drive because of my sweet love to the 330xi. The BMW 3 Litres engine is equal in power to the MB, but feels so much peppyier. By the way, while being very picky myself, I have never needed to go to the BMW dealer since I got the car. Its reliability is outstanding and feels like a rock at all roads. I cannot say the same about the E320 which needed seven different visits to Dealer in the first year. I keep the E320 because I still think it is the best car for family outings.
    I have mixed emotions about all three MB dealers you mentioned. I bought my 2000 E320 from Euro, and it was a real pleasure. Service was okay until recently -- their aggressive expansion combined with increasing MB unreliablility has caused me to switch to HBL for service. In late April I tried to drop off my car around 7:45 a.m. for an engine warning light on, and the street at their service entrance was jammed in both directions with MBs trying to enter their six service lanes. Took me almost 20 minutes until a porter told me to leave the car in the street. Then another 15 minutes waiting for my service advisor. To cap it off, I stood in line for almost 30 minutes to get one of their "all Mercedes loaners" from their Thrifty Rental Car surly agents, then waited another 15 minutes until they finally produced a Dodge. Bummer!!!

Wednesday my a/c fan went out (repeat of same failure a year ago), and the best they could offer was to have me deliver it at 7:30 a.m. and wait, or drop off the car and have my wife follow and drive me home -- first available appointment was July 23.

But instead, I called HBL at 7:30 yesterday morning (they're just a mile from home!). What a great experience! Immediate appointment (8:30 a.m.) when I explained that my a/c was inop (95 degrees and humid). No wait to enter service lane. Service advisor greeted me while I was still in my car -- a really nice guy and helpful. Enterprise Rental office was huge, with chairs, current newspapers, and their agents were extremely helpful, friendly, etc. Offered coffee or soda and escorted me to my loaner after a 2 minute wait. What a difference! Loaner was a new Buick LeSabre (MBs were available). My car was fixed and washed by 2:30 p.m. My new service home is HBL!

However, the sales staff there POed my wife when we were in the market for the 2000 E320 -- she felt that their "supersalesman" acted as if he thought we might not be able to afford a new MB. I didn't have that impression, though. No experience with them since, but they're probably okay.

No recent experience with American Service Center. We shopped there three years ago, but they didn't have a car with color and options we wanted. Sales folks were very nice, though.

Hope this helps.
    Oh ye of great faith and trust -- are you dealing with Lexus or Infinity dealers? The 3 problems you mentioned aren't problems with those cars -- or with most Japanese cars! Granted, brake dust isn't a huge problem -- but it's a fact of life on MBs and BMWs. And BMW, BTW, was rated No. 5 by Powers! And as for “electric windows” and “uneven tire wear," why aren't other luxury car owners reporting similar problems?

No offense, but I really disagree with your take on the JD Powers report. Most posters here, I think, would acknowledge that MB quality and reliability just ain't what it was or should be.

From my own experience with my 2000 E320, I really believe that MB quality has gone way south! And the service provided by my dealer has been horrible lately - read my Post #5029 to fredisdead. I only wish it had been as you described in your second para of Post #5025.

Again, no offense intended. If you have a newer MB and are experiencing no problems, great!!! I only wish I were in the same boat -- and thank goodness for the warranty on my E320 and the fact that I bought the extended MB warranty that will take me to 2008 with my E320. Guess I'll just have to put up with frequent trips to my MB dealer -- at least the one I just switched to approaches the kind of service and treatment you described.
    Congrats on your BMW 330Xi. In Canada you really need the all-wheel drive. I seriously considered the same BMW, but when the 5-series was offered with the $4000 factory-to-dealer incentive, I couldn't resist. I'm only paying $41k for the 530i with a $47.5 MSRP, with standard moonroof plus auto, Premium Pkg, Xenons, Cold Wx Pkg (heated seats, etc.) and Power Rear Sunshade. I think that's less than a 330Xi would cost with similar equipment!

And while I don't need AWD here in the D.C. area, I know I'd enjoy driving the 330Xi - it has a first class reputation. Hope I have the same reliability with my bimmer as you've had with the 330.
    Sorry if I missed it, but what dealership are you getting your BMW from? Any experience/comments regarding VOB or Tischer on the Maryland side, vs. Arlington or Fairfax on the Virginia side??

How is the 530i availability - are you ordering or taking a car already in stock/production?
  • weldone99weldone99 Member Posts: 26
    Will be selling my E320 in September. Does anyone have any experience selling over the internet. Such as what Web Site offers the most exposure to buyers in the Northeast.(New Hampshire)
    I bought my 530i from BMW of Fairfax. They did not have a car in stock with the color combination or equipment I wanted, so they did a search on cars at the New Jersey port. I "lost" two cars I really wanted before they found one that was acceptable and the "original" dealer agreed to give up -- Blue Water Metallic, Sand interior, auto, Premium Pkg, Cold Wx Pkg. Mine will also have the power rear sunshade ($525 invoice), which I would not have ordered but will take anyway. Price was $2000 below invoice.

Other posters here report that VOB is selling at $2800 below invoice, but I don't have any direct experience with them or any of the other Maryland or Virginia dealers. My experience with Fairfax was very pleasant and there was NO pressure. I should take delivery by Wednesday. BTW, my salesman tried to add two more charges for over $300 that he said were on the invoice and that the dealer would have to pay -- BMWUSA advertising fee and training fee. But I reminded him that fees for our deal included only their $199 processing fee, taxes, title and tags. He quickly backed off. Nice guy, too.

Hope this helps.
This discussion has been closed.