Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedans

Comments

• mbdrivermbdriver Member Posts: 426
    Constantly on the phone while driving? There's a movement in many states to make it illegal to do so -- in many European countries it's already against the law. For your own safety (and others'), you may have been better off with a handless model.
  • alingaling Member Posts: 598
    The tires are aired to maximum cold tire pressure prior to customer delivery so as to prevent flatspots in the thread/steel belts during transportation (ship/train/truck), or when the vehicle is sitting in the PDI warehouse. Dealers are supposed to deflate the tires to recommended normal cold tire pressure settings as part of their pre-delivery process, but they often neglect to do so.

When I took delivery of the ML, the tires were left at 44psi. But stupid me, I forgot to check before I left the dealership and the 50 minute drive home (thankfully about 40% on the highway) was uncomfortably firm, especially in the pothole/sewer cover downtown Vancouver area where the dealership is located.

Drew/aling
    Edmunds.com Townhall host
  • need4spdneed4spd Member Posts: 92
    Unless I'm mistaken, the MB Startac phone is hands free when in the car.
  • jean7of9jean7of9 Member Posts: 192
    If you have any doubt about keeping the car, you will be in better shape in the future with the extended warranty. After four years, not only this warranty will pay for itself but you will not be "pressured" to get rid of the car before the expiry of the regular warranty.A car with extended warranty will always fetch better value.
    Jean
  • parfive1parfive1 Member Posts: 75
    Constantly is a bit of an over statement. Let me reduce that to about half the time.
    And yes, the MB star tac is totally hands free.
    BTW, when involved in a conversation the requires a lot of concentration, I pull over.
  • bargamonbargamon Member Posts: 302
    IM sure we'll get used to it.
    Converting drove me crazy. I had to clear the browser caches, turn off auto login, log out, the log in again, turn on autologin, and then create new bookmarks. To make it worse, the default bookmark title is Edmund's Town Hall Discussion or something like that for every topic, so if you cruise more than one board, you have to go back and rename each new bookmark. The new format has a nice look to it, but these glitches could have been addressed by software.
    Of course, I still appreciate Edmund's for continuing to host this discussion!!!
    There are messages lost after the emigration to the new format, I hope Edmunds.com will be able to recover them. I also think that most members are trying to navigate their way back to this board under the new format. May be we should post a lighthouse to bring them back to port.
    Jean
  • wmbiffwmbiff Member Posts: 11
    I continue to gain wisdom reading the many posts here. I've a Y2K 320E with the factory installed phone. Ocasionally I travel and would like to access the internet through the cell phone, when a regular jack is unavailable to me. Is there any device that will allow me to connect the hand held phone (removed from the car) to the modem jack on my lap top? I know that the speed is minimal with this type of wireless connection, but should suffice for getting em-ail.
    Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Bill
    It took me several trials to post this one. If you are reading it then you are almost there. The new software do not look to be compatible with the previous bookmarks which will not let you log in. If you wish to log in here what I did : Log out then clear all "Disc and memory cache" Log in again manually. If you can't find this Board easily then click on preferences and set Miscellaneous Settings to "Alphabetically". Go back to Sedans and scroll down to Mercedes-Benz E-Class (part 7). Welcome home. If you cannot post then try again, then again, eventually it will work. I'm sure by now you have a good story to post.
    Jean
  • rayberg7rayberg7 Member Posts: 7
    I received a flyer yesterday from my Mercedes dealer. It appears that our "free maintenance" amounts to not much more than 5 oil changes, filters as needed, and some windshield wiper inserts. One would think that such things as alignments, brake pad replacements, and fluid flushes should be classified as normal maintance. Not so! Just be aware that Mercedes really didn't offer much when it boasted about "free maintenance" for the standard warranty period.
  • taisontaison Member Posts: 71
    I thought that the dealership is simply supposed to complete all checks as described by the manual for the FSS A and B service. Does the A and B service not include those things you mentioned? I don't have my manual on hand right now so you may be right.

Can someone check?
  • 2kc52kc5 Member Posts: 10
    Hi,
    I have a 2000 E320 and I have noticed a pulsating type of vibration on smooth roads at highway speeds. It's not a tire balancing problem because it feels more mechanical such as a drive shaft balance problem. It is not harsh in fact it is hardly noticeable. Has anyone else experienced this problem or similar droning feel in the car. Thanks for your feedback.
  • hjbornhjborn Member Posts: 20
    I'll try again--I've tried to post this message four times before without success.
    Drew, I hope you have an opinion on this. I have a mileage of 11.0 miles/gal. for the past 98 miles (filled the tank 10 days ago and again yesterday--the computer gas gauge read 21 gals both time when I was finished).But I've driven only short distances, to and from having coffee with my cronies, going to the gym, running errands, etc., and the car never really warms up. In addition, I have let it idle for 5-10 min each morning while I scrape off the ice/frost from my windshield. My car sits outside (it's a 00 E320 AWD) because we have a one-car garage and I let my wife park her car in the garage in the winter. For this kind of driving, does the mileage seem reasonable? The car has 5500 miles on it, and the mileage for the past 1500 miles, mostly in town, is about l8.5. That of course is satisfactory. I'm reasonably certain my calculations are OK--the computer gauges and the dash gauges agree. If anyone else has an opinion, I'd be happy to hear from you also.
  • bargamon2bargamon2 Member Posts: 39
    A new car??
    Dealer cannot fix it? Won't fix it? or are they saying they have done all they could do?
    I think they need to start replacing parts? or have they. He, how about giving us some detail. Share the pain and perhaps someone whom has walked your path can help you. Based on your limited entry, I hardly think replacing 5 fuses warrants a new car. Please elaborate.
    Your mileage is OK considering the idling time and very short trips. Meanwhile I want to point out that your mileage will improve once you pass the 10k miles. At that time the engine will become smother and even more quite. However extra short trips and long periods of idling will always generate disappointing return. Enjoy the ride.
    Jean
  • turbotcturbotc Member Posts: 163
    I wouldn't bother driving it anymore. Take it to the dealer and let it sit there and demand a loaner and drive that until they straighten your car out. Keep all records of when the car goes in and what they did. If the problem is as bad as you are saying it is, I would look into the lemon call of your state. In Massachusetts if after 3 attempts and they are unable to fix the problem, you are entitled to a new car or a complete refund. Within the first year of ownership (and I believe within 15,000 miles) of course
  • joeadpjoeadp Member Posts: 68
    My 2000 E320 with 12000 miles came up with flashing ABS/BAS/and ESP visit workshop message.

Anyone experience this situation?

Interesting at first the dealer said bring it in immediately.
    Then they realized they had no loaner cars available so, my appointment is in 2 weeks.

Everytime this car has a problem it is always difficult to get a loaner. Is this normal with all Mercedes dealerships. This one is based in Long Island and provides me with a Corolla or Camry when available. They always claim they are so busy.

Interesting the Lexus service shop never looks busy.

Oh well.
  • eel1121eel1121 Member Posts: 4
    Has anyone had a problem using tires that have sidewalls that are too soft? I just put Nokian Hakopolita I's on my E320 and I've noticed the car is not handling well on the highway at 65 mph or higher. I am now told that the sidewalls on these tires are too soft for a car this heavy. Is this correct?
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Can you please provide more details on the Nokian tires that you just fitted? For example, what are the markings for the size on the tire sidewall? Are they the same as the stock tires? Do you also know what the load rating for this tire is?

Generally though, winter tires do not handle even close to as well as the all-season or performance tires because of the much softer (and stickier) tire compound. They are also speed rated much lower, so keep this in mind.

Drew
    Edmunds.com Townhall co-host
    Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories conferences
  • eel1121eel1121 Member Posts: 4
    The tires are the same size as the original Michelins, 215/55 16. I'm not sure of the load rating. These are a new model of Nokian, the Q's. Since my post, I have spoken to some tire experts and they tell me this my problem is not too surprising and that I would be better off with the Hako 1's. Your input would be much appreciated. One other question, the sticker on the gas cap calls for tire pressure of 27 psi, but some snows (such as my current Hako I's) show maximum tire pressure of 44 psi. Which pressure do I use?
    FYI, the maximum tire pressure is the max amount of air that you can safely inflate your tire to. Always follow the manufacturer's specs (27psi - measure it while the tires are cold, ex. after sitting in the garage overnight) whether they are all-seasons or winter tires.

As mentioned in my earlier post, the softer, stickier rubber compound of winter tires creates a squirmy feeling. As such, your handling and performance is compromised for much better adhesion on ice/snow. Some winter tires are better than others in the handling/feeling category (ex. the Michelin Arctic Alpins are better than the Bridgestone Blizzaks - I use the Michelins now myself)...that's the reason why performance winter tires were created. These tires sacrifice some traction for closer (but no where identical) to stock all-season/performance tire performance.

Drew
  • bargamon2bargamon2 Member Posts: 39
    Nokian hakopolita???

Is this a charactor from Man from UNCLE??? or is it a star trek charactor? Never heard of this brand?

Is this a "Canadian Thing", and I would not understand??

PS> 430 reaching 1000miles, can open it up alittle more. Man can this thing fly......................and Samoooooooth
  • cmayercmayer Member Posts: 38
    Nobody's posted for a day.
  • cmayercmayer Member Posts: 38
    Yesterday I received a new, updated navigation CD for my COMAND system. It was free, unsolicited and delivered by UPS. A letter from MB USA was included, explaining that roadwork, development, features, etc., change constantly, and an updated CD is periodically required. It also suggested replacing the CD every year in the future (at a price) -- they'll send reminders. This seems like overkill to me. Any thought? Incidentally, I really like COMAND and am glad I have it.
  • doublecondoublecon Member Posts: 6
    Just ordered a 2001 E320 4Matic wagon with COMAND/E2/contour/leather/heat from SouthBay Autohaus in Torrance, CA. I did it over the phone and got a great price that was significantly lower than MSRP. The price was so good that I forgot to haggle. I dealt with Larry Jensen who was very patient and pleasant. If anyone needs more information let me know.
  • swimmomswimmom Member Posts: 23
    I plan on buying a 4matic wagon in the spring with a very similar setup (probably will pass on command). I would be very interested in the specifics of the deal you negotiated. Did you buy a car off the lot? Did you trade a vehicle? Any details would be great.
  • wildweswildwes Member Posts: 5
    Had to try logging on to the new format. Happy holidays to all. Wes
  • microrepairmicrorepair Member Posts: 508
    post for me in the new system because it is the first day that the "post message" boxes showed up for me.

Anyway, a very Happy Holiday to everyone.....
  • livetodrivelivetodrive Member Posts: 104
    I also could not log in. Today I disabled autologin, then logged out, and from Tools/Internet Options I deleted the temporary files. Then I went to this board and logged in from the board. It seems this is the only way for me it will work.

So much for my success story at logging. Now for the bad news. After waiting 3 months my new E430 4-matic was supposed to be delivered last week. Instead, the dealer called and indicated the car will be manufactured in February, and delivered end of March/early April.

Should I just go out and buy myself a TL, and wait for the 2003's in the fall of 2002, or should I hold out until the Spring for the E430? Do you think it will be delayed again? This will be my "no compromises/ultimate car", and I plan to keep it at least 7 years. Any thoughts?
  • valueguyvalueguy Member Posts: 208
    I used to own a 1997 and 1999 Acura 3.2Tl. Acura makes a fine car but it is no E-Class. The "feel" of the E combined with its vault-like safety make the M-B significantly better.

Acura is due out this Fall ('01) with the S-type of the TL. This TL will have 260HP and more up scale features (Memory seats, In-Dash 6 CD changer, etc). So, if you get a TL buy the S-type!
  • doublecondoublecon Member Posts: 6
    swimmom:

i ordered the car which will be built in early january and will be here in california mid feburary. i did not trade in. i basically called larry jensen at southbay autohaus who gave me a "phone/internet" price to which other dealers couldn't even come close. he said it would be the easiest car purchasing experience ever for me. so far, he has been right. i paid a 1k deposit and several days later i received a letter confirming the order which spelled out the options and purchase price. everything was very professional. hope that helps. if you need more detail let me know.
    The new ""E"" is expected fall 2002 (or earlier). If you definetly want to keep your new car for long (with no compromise) then you may want to consider waiting a bit longer. It is worth a thought.
    Happy Holidays Every One.
    Jean
  • bargamonbargamon Member Posts: 302
    fall of 2002 is almost two years. Also as in past you may have to wait till production of specific options are added on car. IE:, for matic, or 4matic with 8 cyl, command etc.

As with the new acura or 02 e-class, your talking about first year build issues. Generally, you pay a price for being first on the block with the latest and greatest. THe '01 e-class that you have comming,430 with 4matic has it all, and the 3rd cycle of improvements means your getting a very up to date car with many improvements over the years. IF you must make a splash, then go with newer models, but your not getting 4matic. Acura is a fine car.

Happy hollidays y'all...................
  • chappye430w4chappye430w4 Member Posts: 4
    I stumbled across this forum yesterday (23Dec00) and have spent a few hours reading past notes. I wish I had known about this site last summer when I ordered my first Mercedes (10May00). I ordered an E430, brilliant silver, charcoal leather, elect. rear sunshade, multicontour seats w/ heat, E1, E2, K2a, w/ COMAND. It was originally scheduled to come in 20Aug00 but was delayed because the SEC hadn't approved the new code for the COMAND. The new due date was Oct00. While I waited I re-thought my order, and since it was getting closer to winter, I decided to add 4Matic. Oct00 came and I was told that part of the 4Matic option was held up in Austrian customs and I would probably be waiting 'til Dec00. At this point, my car is built (4Dec00) but needs to be shipped over from Germany so I should see it sometime in Jan01.
    I am not bitter about having to wait because I feel, and some of your notes agree, that I will probably be very happy w/ the two options (COMAND and 4Matic) that delayed my order. Supposedly, this car will be the first one equipped this way in New England? Does anyone already have one equipped this way?
    I am interested in anything that will make my first experience owning a Mercedes more satisfying. Is there anything anyone can think of that I should do now before I take delivery? Did I forget anything on my order? What does everyone think of Tele Aid and/or Info Services?
    I saw a few notes on the "always smearing" single wiper blade. Is this a problem and if so has anyone solved it? Would RainX help? I look forward to reading your comments and suggestions!
    Welcome to this forum. Your wait will be rewarded with the most enjoyable driving experience for many years to come. The 4MATIC will enable you driving up to Mount Washington under any Winter/Summer condition. You do not have to worry about the single wiper system. It worked fine for me under hundreds of miles of driving rain. Just clean your windshield before you drive. If I were you, I would add "Parktronic" which will pay for itself. Besides the fact that it may save the lives of small children, any scratch on your front or rear bumpers will cost you more for repair than Parktronic. If you like to enjoy Summer afternoon driving in the country you may want to think about Power tilted/Sliding Roof. Great car, please post your experience after your first drive.
    Jean
    I used Zymol today and it is a great product. Consumer Reports rates this as the number 1 Car care wax and I agree. At $12.99 this product is a great value. It took me 2.5 hours to wash and wax the car.
    The shine is very nice and the product is easy to use.

I recommend this wax to all E owners with a light colored paint.
    On my Siver '00 E430 Sport the Zymol worked well. M-B recommends a wax based protectant for its cars. Zaino may give a better shine but it costs more, is polymer based and has not been proven to be superior to standard car waxes and polishes. Plus, Zymol is available at your local auto store for $12.99!! I used a 3M rubbing compound safe for clear coat finishes to remove scratches and embedded dirt ($8.99). My E looks better than the day I took delivery
    10 months ago.

Please, Zaino users I am not "bashing" your polymer polish but rather explaining an alternative product that has been tested by a respected
    Consumer magazine. E Class owners are a well educated group and if a
    person wants to spend more money for a slightly better shine I understand. Black colored vehicles are difficult to maintain and perhaps Zaino is a better choice for these owners.
    I've tried twice to post a message here, but after spending 30 minutes of careful composing, I was unsuccessful TWICE. I'm about to give up on visiting several of the Town Hall's new and "fixed" forums that weren't boken before but now are. Please, fix things so the frustration factor disappears or we do!
    I think it logs you out after ten minutes. That's why you posts are not posting. I had the same problem.
  • peterd320peterd320 Member Posts: 13
    First Time on the Town Hall Chat Room, Happy Holidays to All.

I currently own a 00 E320, I'm very happy with it, had it now for 11 months, and have put 10K miles on it. At 5K I had the dealer changed the oil / filter and at 10K during Service "A" I had the dealer switch the oil to Mobil 1, my intention is to keep changing the oil / filter (Mobil 1) every 5K miles. Any opinions regarding my choice and the Flexible Service System schedule will be greatly appreciated.
    Peter
    I've had my 00 E320 since Aug 2000. Just reached to 5k mark and switched to Mobil 1 like a lot of others here.
    I plan to just follow the FSS schedule from now on, because Mobil 1 is more than capable of handling 10k miles.
    I also plan to do the same thing with my wife's 00 ML430 which presently only has 1000 miles on it.
    I had my oil changed at 4500 miles with regular oil. At 10,000 miles I will switch to Mobil 1. My plan is then to follow the M-B recommended service interval of 10,000 miles between changes. The Mobil 1 synthetic should hold up well for 10,000 miles. If you plan on changing the oil every 5,000 miles then why use synthetic?

M-B allows even the standard oil to go 10,000 miles. So, synthetic should give you that extra safety factor you are seeking while still following the factory recommended intervals.
  • bud24bud24 Member Posts: 8
    Happy Holidays. This is my first posting. I am taking delivery of an E430 4-matic, brilliant silver/charcoal, E1, E2, K2A tomorrow to replace my 98 ES300. I am perfectly happy with my FWD ES300. However,a change in jobs will necessitate AWD, and I feel this is a good choice. I had wanted to have the command system, however, this would have entailed a long wait. I was contemplating getting a magellan 750 GPS receiver. It seems to be as good as COMMAND, costs the same, is portable, and opting for it will not delay delivery of the vehicle. Has anyone done the same thing?
  • chappye430w4chappye430w4 Member Posts: 4
    I think think the only options I didn't get was the Parktronic and the Sport Package. The sunroof comes with the E2 package these days. You may be right on the bumper scratches as I have to park in some tight spaces in Boston on occasion. I just felt I needed to draw the line somewhere... I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't get delayed on the way over to America! I will let you know how it goes...
  • turbotcturbotc Member Posts: 163
    keep in mind that even though the oil can handle 10k miles between changes, how about the oil filter? If you plan on changing the oil at 10k or so, thats fine. What you might want to consider is replacing the filter every 5k miles. On the E-class it is very easy to do so as it is just a matter of unscrew the old one out and screw in the new one.
    Well, actually 10K miles is the minimum interval between oil changes that the FSS recommends. Most people can get more than 10K miles before the FSS recommends a service. Obviously MB has designed the filter to withstand the longer intervals as well. I wouldn't worry too much about it, especially since the FSS sensors/computer constantly monitors the cleanliness and viscocity of the oil, among other things.

Drew
    I'll keep the posting time to less than 10 minutes and see if it works!

valueguy - Regarding Zymol, if you're happy with the product, don't change. But I had to respond about Zaino.

I, too, have a brilliant silver Y2K E-Class MB and have used Zaino since I took delivery. The dealer had detailed the car perfectly, and I only washed with blue Dawn to remove the wax, the WIPED on Z-1 and Z-2 (no rubbing or buffing or rubbing compound needed!), waited to dry, then WIPED off. No white residue or sweat-producing work. The shine and paint slickness is fantastic, and several more coats of Z-2 over the months guaranteed a lasting shine and superb protection.

I've used evrey car care product imaginable, including Zymol, but NOTHING compares to Zaino for ease of use, durability and shine. Considering its initial cost vs the durability and superior protection it provides, plus the fact that it must be used SPARINGLY, it probably isn't any more expensive than Zymol.

But, again, if you're happy, stay with Zymol. But you may want to try Zaino some day -- if you do, I promise you that you'll stay with it and become a Zaino fanatic like all the rest of us.
  • automophileautomophile Member Posts: 780
    Your low-cost Zymol at $12.99 is made by Turtle Wax, and is simply a decent liquid wax. The test by Consumer Reports was based on readily available "Consumer" waxes. If you REALLY want a good shine, try the REAL imported Zymol at several times the price. However, non of the waxes so far can hold up to a good polymer finish, especially in duration of protection. Since you seem to care, you should do a little more exploration.
This discussion has been closed.