Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedans

Comments

• mbdrivermbdriver Member Posts: 426
    I own a 2000 E320 and a 2003 BMW 530i and drive both frequently and interchangably. Perhaps I'm a bit numb, but the differences in acceleration, responsiveness, handling, etc., are very minor if not negligible.

If I recall correctly, MB says their car goes from 0 to 60 in 7.1 seconds, while BMW says the Bimmer does it in 7.0 seconds. I doubt that anyone except a professional driver could validate those figures or discern any difference.

As for gas caps, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to screw one on correctly. I've been aware of the potential problems if the cap is not on correctly, but I've never had any trouble with the E320 OR the 530i. BTW, when I took delivery of the BMW last July, the sales rep emphasized listening for the "click" when the gas cap is on and seated properly. That simplifies things even more.

Perhaps in our $50,000 cars we should insist on the convenience of an automatic nose-blowing system. To me, that's about as foolish as having a gas cap that closes itself like a trunk lid!

No offense meant to anyone -- just my take on it.
  • weldone99weldone99 Member Posts: 26
    Recently broke down in Shreveport,La on a trip from up North. Dealer claims that a small amount of water that was spilled fouled up the shifting mechanism. Car was 12days over the wuarantee. period, billed for $584.00. Car had 37,000 miles at the time. They agreed to the labor charge of $200.00.According to Mercedes Rep. the car was design for the European Market and cup holders was a retrofit for the USA. So beware of water spilled on your console. (2000 E Class). Perhaps new design with booth would not be affected by water. Mechanic told me he had others just like this over the past month. Dealer in Shreveport gave me excellent service.
  • footiefootie Member Posts: 636
    Mbdrive ... Self closing gas caps and 7 speed transmission are right together with the autohankie.
  • vicvvicv Member Posts: 41
    Rerobbins, I agree about the apparent power from a standstill. We leave the tranny in "S" for standard or sport mode. It really helps get off the line. As I understand it, the normal shift map eases the throttle body open for smooth starts. It may also start in 2nd gear for winter ops. "S" gives immediate throttle response. Try it if you haven't.

Footie, like others, I just ensure the gas cap clicks when tightening. Do the same in my cheap Chevy.

Khice, ours was a '98 Catera. As you know, it's an Americanized Opel Omega MV-6 and similar to the Vauxhall Omega. All three came off the same line in Russelsheim, Germany. The one we rented in England back in '94 got our attention. We liked our Catera, but it was hard on tires, Cadillac was not supportive and depreciation was alarming. Depreciation was a big factor in our choice of the E.
    Footie, that's hilarious. Y'know, I'll bet the automakers have guys and gals who sit around and try to think up stuff like that. Just hope they're not considering same for the other end.

Have a Merry Christmas.
  • rerobbinsrerobbins Member Posts: 18
    Vicv,

Thanks for your comments on using S mode to get the car off the line faster. Is the ability to put the transmission into S mode part of the normal setup or does it require the airmatic suspension package?

-- Rich
  • msgreenmsgreen Member Posts: 67
    for model year '05? Keep hearing that the 3.2L six will be increased to either 3.5/3.7L, and that the six will get a six speed auto. Also hearing that the 5.0L V8 will get BMW-like "valvetronic" and other tweaks to get the horsepower up to the 330-350 range. Anyone got any additional info on these or other upgrades?
    Rich,

Hope you and everyone else who checks this board had a very merry Christmas. The button is just to the left of the shift lever. It has "C/S" on it. Accoring to the owner's manual, S is for sport and C for comfort. In C, it starts out in second gear unless you floor it. Then it starts in first. It also upshifts slower and, I remember reading in Car & Driver (I think) that throttle tip-in is slower in C for more comfortable first motion. We leave it in S - it just feels better.

BTW just got back from visiting family in another city 260 miles away. The EPA rating of 27 on the highway is not very accurate. We got just a tad more than 30 going and 30.8 back at 65 on the two lanes (including passing and through small towns) and 70 on the interstate. I LIKE that car!

Vic
    Make that 75 on the interstate. Also, rerobbins, ours is a standard E320 w/o airmatic, sport, AMG, etc. All we got above base was the sunroof package & pewter metallic finish.
    Does anyone know anything about Drive Dynamic Front Seat Option.(Multicontour with side bolsters) all part of Comfort Pkg. Are these seats superior to the standart seats. I'm looking to buy the Premium Package with the 2004 E Class and would like to know how people like this package.
    Anyone familiar with the new Nano paint w/small ceramic particles that is suppose to be scratch resistant that Mercedes is due to come out with in the Spring 2004 on E,S,CL & Clk . This new clear coat that all Mercedes are suppose to have according to Auto Spies.
  • barry45rpmbarry45rpm Member Posts: 98
    I ordered the car in very late Sept. It was scheduled to be built in the 1st 10 days of Nov, & it was at the dealer Dec 23. The Drive Dynamic Seats are very comfortable, and yes kind of fun to feel the bolsters inflate/deflate. Be advised though that the picture of the seat control switch is printed upside down in the owners manual which will make it hard to figure out initially.

I have noticed that the Parktronic bumper radar is not sensitive enough (or the gain is not turned up enough). They give you at least 10 amber lights, but 7 amber and the red lights don't illuminate untill the rear bumper is 2 inches away from a wall. The red lights should come on when you are about 10 inches away from the wall. What good is it for all the amber lights and the red lights to come on all at once when contact will occur in 1 more second? The amber lights should give you an idea about how close you are to the wall. I hope this is adjustable by the dealer service personell.

The uplevel sound system with Nav are awesome...far superior to the MB sound systems previously used. No comparison!

I learned how to make all the user defined programming in about 2 days. However my drivers seat does NOT move backward as I shut off the car & exit the vehicle even though it is programmed properly to do so. I don't know if there is some exit position memory I have not programmed into it or if it considers my normal driving position far enough back to exit without the car moving the seat farther back.

I bought the car on line and over the phone and saved $ 3500. by not buying the car on Long Island where I live but the 2 hour drive was well worth it! They took my trade in at a very fair price (2002 Caddy DHS) so the deal,the salesman, and the dealership were absolutely SUPERB! If you are considering the car, so far, I have nothing but praise for it.
  • mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    Barry45rpm, I wanted to mention a malfunction that happened to me with my Parktronic that you might want to be aware of.

I was backing my 2002 ML500 (with parktronic) in my garage and hit the box stored against the wall. Perplexed and dismayed, I rechecked why the Parktronic didn't warn me of the upcoming box until I hit it. To my surprise, the new "electronic bug" eliminator that I plugged in an outlet in the garage sends out signals that disrupt the Parktronic on the ML. Once I removed it, the Parktronic worked perfectly.

Mark156.
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
    Go for it! A lot more for the money than the option groups available on 2003's. A good deal! Alot of the right bells & whistles.
    When we ordered our E320 back in Aug, the sunroof couldn't be ordered separately. We had to order it as part of the "Sunroof Package" (Option Package 324) that included a sunroof, power rear window shade and manual rear side window sunshades. It doesn't appear to be available now. Anyone know anything about why they discontinued it?
  • msgreenmsgreen Member Posts: 67
    how do you like the 7speed automatic? How noticeable are the seven speeds? While "more" always seems better on the surface, I wonder when MB (and maybe others) will hit a wall of technical complexity for which a CVT would be a better solution? No doubt MB has done this right, so am interested in your impressions over some days experience and not just what we get with a test drive. Thanks.
    If you accelerate SLOWLY & drive at a crawl like you might while looking for a parking spot in an aisle at the mall,1st is a very hi torque/low speed gear & feels almost like you were driving an old 3 speed manual. The moment you lift your foot slightly, you are pitched forward due to "engine Braking". You can select to eliminate this low, low gear by pressing the selector button on the top left of the console, but the manual says to leave it on for everyday driving. With normal & quick acceleration, the tranny is silky smooth & yields a very quick take off. It seems to be in the right gear during all speeds & maneuvers. This is an INCREDIBLE car. It feels like a 4 door sports car. My last 3 cars were, 98 Tahoe 4WD, 2002 Caddy Deville DHS & now this. Now I have to get used to buying Premium fuel again.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Any thoughts on the E320 diesel that will be available in April of this year? Is said to be 30% more fuel efficient than the gasoline E320.
  • jhdevoyjhdevoy Member Posts: 33
    I just took delivery of an e500 4matic last Saturday. As I purchased a previously ordered vehicle to get one quickly, the only option that I did not get (which I really wanted) was the upgraded sound system. The base sound system is alright, but I'd love to hear the upgraded one to see what I am missing. My previous car was a BMW 330xi (I live in Boston) and I like them both for different reasons. The E500 is dramatically more powerful and silky smooth, while the 330xi was more responsive. The steering on the MB is not quite as nimble and the acceleration waits a split second before kicking in vs. immediate response from the BMW. The interior is FANTASTIC compared to the BMW and the integrated phone system (bring your own service to the motorola V60 phone) is unbelievable. I am extremely satisfied with the car, but the difference between the two is dramatic. Over bumps the 330xi felt like I was being shaken by a gorilla, while the MB barely notices them. Surprisingly, body roll is almost non-existent for a car with such a beatiful suspension (unlike my wife's caddy that feels like it is going to float away when I corner). I haven't driven it in the sportier suspension settings yet. The brake-by-wire is a bit odd, but I haven't had as much difficulty controlling it as the auto rags implied. Car is absolutely beatiful (I got black with sand) and definitely turns heads, despite how ubiquitous the black mercedes is.

I guess my only complaint would be that the power steering doesn't kick in as much as I would like (makes the car feel a bit heavy in turns) and that the pedal takes a second to response. I also like the loud growl of the BMW straight six. But let's be honest, this MB V8 is a far superior engine and the torque band is phenomenally broad and smooth.
    Amen! An awesome car. Did you get parktronic or keyless go? Do you find the parktronic warns you when you are much too close to an object? I find that the steering wheel doesn't re center after a turn as readily as other cars. I haven't noticed any difference between brake by wire and other conventional brake pedals other than if you push the pedal down very quickly, the brakes apply with a firmer grip for an instant. However, I feel we dont apply the brakes in a "panic" situation as firmly as we should until we further survey the situation for an instant, so you might be gaining an extra second of braking which may be a big thing in an emergency situation.
  • microrepairmicrorepair Member Posts: 508
    This past weekend, Motorweek, the TV show, had a review of the Dodge Ram Van which is a re-badged Freightliner, which is a walkin van designed and built by MB in Germany. It is currently being sold in the US (UPS has bought hundreds of them!) and has a 2.7 liter DIESEL with approx. 165 HP but well over 200 lb-ft of torque. Apparently the emissions standards are different for trucks than for autos which is why we won't see diesels in cars for a while longer.. Sure would make a nice E270 wouldn't it ??
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    quote microrepair-Apparently the emissions standards are different for trucks than for autos which is why we won't see diesels in cars for a while longer.. Sure would make a nice E270 wouldn't it ?? -end

E320 is a car and it will be available in April of this year in USA from MB with diesel engine.
    Also, VW has been selling thousands of diesel cars in USA and Canada for years. The TDI VW has been sold in USA and Canada since at least 1996.
    Yes, emissions standards are different for diesel trucks compared to diesel cars.
  • ahmadmahmadm Member Posts: 15
    Dear MB Owners:
    I have been having problems with the windshield defogger. I live in Maryland and in low outside temperatures if I turn the climate control ON, all of the windows, windshield and rear included, get badly fogged up. The moisture sometimes is so heavy that I have to stop and hand wipe it. This only happens in low temperatures outside. Keeping the system ON removes very little moisture. I took the car to the dealer and they traced the problem to faulty wiring on the AC compressor. Guess what, it is hitting freezing temperatures again and the problem is back. Any insights into what may be the issue here? Thanks a bunch.
  • w210w210 Member Posts: 188
    I had a 2001 E-class and never had any problem with the windshield fogging up.

A few suggestions:

1. Clean the interior of your car, if windows are dirty, they're more likely to fog up.

2. I presume you do not have the recirculating air on when you're trying to defog?
  • microrepairmicrorepair Member Posts: 508
    Which diesel is coming to the US? Will it be an E270, E300, E320, E350 ????
  • jprescott1jprescott1 Member Posts: 29
    E320 diesel. Check out this week's autospies.com
  • mbnut1mbnut1 Member Posts: 403
    E320. Saw it at the NAIAS yesterday. The sales rep said in the low 50's. Bummer
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    I've heard pricing comparable to the E320 gas. Not the great deal the E300TD was, at $3k+ less than the E320, but I for one wouldn't consider the E320 gas over the E320CDI for the same price.

Question to new "E" owners: how would you rate the quality / reliability of 2003/04 E-class vs. previous generations. I'm a bit skeptical of Mercedes based upon the overall drop in quality that I keep hearing about. Is it overblown or real? After BMW's redesign of the 530i (yuck), the E320 CDI may be the first automatic transmissioned car I will have ever owned. Quite a leap, but I just hope the rest of the car holds up to the same degree as Mercedes legendary diesel engines.
    Over the rear seat there is a dome light. 2 of the switches operate the rear reading lamps, and 2 switches don't seem to do anything. I cant find any mention of the rear ceiling light in the manuals. Anyone?
    Has anybody but me noticed that when you leave the car for service, or with a valet parking guy at a lot, if you lock the trunk and glove compartment and take the metal key out of the black "Smart Key" to keep with you, and leave the parking attendant with just the black Smart Key, there is no hole left for the attendant to attach a paper key tag to, that will identify the smart key to belonging to any particular Benz he has on the lot... nor can he hang the key up on a key board, because the glove box/trunk key you took with you, has the hole! Shouldn't the plastic Smart Key be smart enough to have a hole molded into it? The only way I see around this is to get a glove box/trunk key that doesn't fit the car and leave it in the Smart Key slot all the time, to utilize its hanging hole. That way you keep the real glove box/trunk on another key ring in your pocket. ??? But that doesn't seem to be "smart"
    Have an 03' E500. Last car was 00' E320.I think the issue with decline is not in quality but with reliability. These new cars have alot that can go wrong with electronics.Maybe too much new tech at once. My impression is that many(not all) bugs have been worked out in the last year. With regards to quality I can tell you from my experience that the new design looks,drives and feels better than my last generation E.
  • clemboclembo Member Posts: 253
    I agree with jprescott. I have had 2 E500s, MB replaced the first car because they couldn't install a navigation system. Combined I have put 18k miles on both cars and nothing has gone wrong. There has been a few minor nagging electronic issues, but the overall quality of the car is excellent. I love BMW's but the direction of their styling on the 7 & 5 is awful. The interiors are even worse then the outsides. Also the Benz dealers seem to be very aware of the perception of quality issue and will pretty much do whatever is needed to keep you happy.
    After talking to the dealer and consulting with web pages I'm still not sure when it is appropriate to raise the car with air matic. Does this add to comfort even more? Is this only for ground clearance on a rough road or in the snow? Any one have ideas or a web link?
  • randomthoughtrandomthought Member Posts: 8
    Any idea when this is going to be available on the E series?
    Thanks for the feedback. One of my business associates just got on the list for a E320CDI to replace her 1999 E300TD. Perhaps I'll join her.
  • chipper12chipper12 Member Posts: 6
    I now have this problem. Does anyone know if MB has identified a problem and a solution. Last time I brought the car to the dealer in they lubricated the boot. That did not work. Any ideas appreciated
  • billc01776billc01776 Member Posts: 17
    I too had the boot lubricated on several occasions with some temporary improvement. MB then replaced the rack. The moan disappeared initially and then reappeared to a lesser degree, but only in warm weather. I have 2000 E320 4-matic and was told that it is a bigger problem in 4-matic than in RWD. I've never heard of a case where the moan was completely resolved. Good luck
  • rablakerablake Member Posts: 16
    I have a 2001 E320 4-Matic which moaned until the Combination Switch [(Signal lights, w. wiper/washer (opcode 542800)] was replaced. Silent turns since Apr 03.
  • jchkjchk Member Posts: 5
    Guys,

Could anyone kindly post a link or a copy of the letter that Mercedes sent out regarding the resolution of $3250 or buy-back for those who ordered the NAV?

I would truly appreciated that as I am currently in Negotiation with Mercedes and they need a copy of the letter to prove the claim.

Thanks in advance.

mbnotforme "2003 E Class Comand/Nav Debacle" Jul 22, 2003 6:26pm
  • agatenioagatenio Member Posts: 3
    Does anybody know whether the 500 V8 engine will be changed for the E class for the 2995 model year?
  • acco20acco20 Member Posts: 211
    Do not know............but I wolld like to get a look at it in person??????
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    No changes for the V8 in the E500 for 2005, but expect the E320 to become the E350 with a brand new 24V 265hp V6.

M
    Just wondering if anyone has successfully exchanged for the 2004 E-Class with Nav/Command or getting any other compensation?
    thank you merc1; when will the v8 engine change?
  • clemboclembo Member Posts: 253
    My non-Nav car was replaced for another 2003 E500. I don't know of anyone that recieved a 2004. MB was pretty particular about getting the exchanges done by the end of last summer which was just before the 2004's came out. The whole process was handled well and I feel that MB was very fair in fixing this mistake.
    They change the ambient light from the rear assembly. One slowly increases it and the other slowly decreases it. I found this out last night by reaching back over the seat and trying it, thereby hacking off my wife who thinks only Tim the Toolman should do such foolish things.
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    I wouldn't look for the V8 engine to change until at least 2006 or so, when the new S-Class appears.

M
    any other changes forecasted for the E500 4MATIC for the 2005 model year?
    clembo,

Thanks for your reply. How did you get the car exchanged? Is there any letter sent from MBUSA that helped you for the exchange? Please let me know. Thanks in advance.
    I was just informed by a friend who is a leasing agent with Mercedes that the European Delivery program was revised two weeks ago to give a 7% discount off MSRP. All information I've seen on the web seems to indicate a 5% discount. Anyone know the answer. That extra $1,000 between 5% and 7% has me thinking European Delivery is worth considering.

Also, I'm considering an E320 CDI assuming it is available late spring or summer through ED. I know the CDI will be "hot" for awhile and little if any price discounting for US delivered vehicles will occur for several months. However, I am wondering what kind of deals/discounts people are now getting on 2004 gasoline E320/E500's? Is it likely that if I wait out the intitial demand for the CDI that I could get 5-7% off MSRP without going to Germany?

Finally, I've seen 2003 E320 sport with 2,500 miles, mint condition advertised in the Washington Post for $42,000 and a very low mileage 2003 E500 advertised a couple of weeks ago for $46,000. These seem like low prices compared to MSRP new. Further suggesting big dicounting on new E's??

Thanks for any responses.
This discussion has been closed.