Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedans

Comments

• rswaglerswagle Member Posts: 27
    Hi. Just got back form a test drive of the 05 CDI. WOW! Amazing power, excellent mileage, outstanding looks and of course it's a benz. So whats the problem? Where's the crowds knocking the doors down? Where's the discussions taking place on these boards talking about the merits of diesel v. longivity v. resource conservation v. technology leadership?
    I am thoroughly impressed and once the finances are sorted out, I am placing my order for European delivery. Was hoping to get feedback and a revived discussion regarding the E320 CDI. Moderator where are you!?
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    The CDI is truely amazing. 27/37 EPA for such a vehicle is outstanding. Even the 4-cyl diesel Passat is only 1 mpg better. I do not understand how anybody looking at the E-class would consider anything but the CDI. I only wish they would offer the engine in more DC products. A magnum with the CDI would be transformed from a guzzler to a sipper. Pacifica would suddenly make more sence, and a minivan with that mileage (probably down to 25/34 because of weight and aerodynamics) would be amazing.
  • clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    I think this is a great car and at a 2k premium to the regular 320 it is an awesome deal. I wish more cars would offer deisel options my family owned one of the last amreican made deisel cars ('83 cadillac seville). I think it is a quciker solution to our fuel problems than hybrids and as MB has proven diesels don't have to be loud or dirty anymore. The 320 CDI is definately in the running for my next vehicle.
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Member Posts: 792
    The excitement is centered on another DCX product, the Chrysler 300C. Besides the fact that the 320CDI is illegal in California and four other states, I understand that DCX only plans to import 3,000 of the 2005 models. Price is the other big problem. As I said above, comparably equipped, a 300C (with S-Class back seat room)is about $36,000 and a 320CDI is about $58,000.

Dudleyr, I agree, but please remember that the 300C and the Magnum R/T get far better mileage than you might think due to cylinder deactivation.

The engine in the E320CDI and the cylinder deactivation in the HEMI really prove that DCX has the right technology at the right time to really profit from rising fuel prices. They just need to offer it in more of their vehicles.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    I seriously considered the E320 CDI before electing to go with a new 2004 Acura TL that we picked up on Saturday.

I would agree that the CDI is, IMO, the only E class to get, short of the $80k+ E55. It doesn't match the E500 in performance, but the difference is not that great. And if I thought I'd be driving upwards of 30,000 miles a year, I likely would have gone for it.

I hate to state the obvious in a way that sounds disrespectful of US manufacturers, but I can't believe that too many prospective buyers trying to decide between the various Mercedes E-class models would give a Chrysler brand product any consideration. Not that they shouldn't, but I just don't think it happens in the real world. The 300C may have S class rear seat room, but so does a Crown Victoria.

There are a lot of negative reports on Mercedes decline in product quality over the past several years, from Consumer Reports to JD Powers to almost all of the major industry reviewers. It is my understanding that the new E-class is an improvement. But any link to "Chrysler", even in name only, reinforces an image problem that Mercedes now needs to combat. We kept hearing that the merger would not affect Mercedes status or product quality, but the coincidence is too great to be ignored.

So, for now at least, the E320 CDI is the only "luxury" class diesel automobile sold in the US that has the additional appeal of great mileage and impressive performance.
  • jerrydrawjerrydraw Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 E320 and an considering a 2002 E430. Is the E430 a sound investment, especially if it has low mileage and another two years on the warranty? Was the last year of the E430 a good one? I got a little gunshy about the new 03 and 04 E class reading on the web and seeing in the news about the multitude of problems and recall regarding the brakes. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
  • cartercarter Member Posts: 1
    My first try with MB, I have found a clean '00 320 and am looking for advise on items to look for before purchasing. Is the '00 model year a good bet?
  • corim3corim3 Member Posts: 3
    just came back from europe, most new e classes are a 220cdi, i rode in a few, very quick and very quiet. the 320cdi available in the states will have no problem keeping up with traffic.
  • barry45rpmbarry45rpm Member Posts: 98
    ...To our fuel problems. It is a PART of the answer, but only a part. The other part is discovering new sources & developing & pumping what we know we have right now. Oil as a main stream fuel only has another 20-25 years tops, until it is replaced by the next thing. (and it will have had a good run! The coal companies were stunned when we started choosing oil over coal at that time) In hindsight, we will look supremely stupid if we let our enemies ruin the world economy or let them destroy us, while we left the oil that we need now in the ground, never to be pumped again, because because in near the future we will use a newer fuel...invented right here.
    Biodiesel is 100% renewable, so it will not run out - unless we can't grow crops anymore, in which case we have bigger problems.

That is part of the appeal of the 320 CDI, not just the economy, but the potential for total independence from imported oil. We are, after all, the breadbasket of the world, why not grow our fuel, instead of paying farmers to not grow anything.
  • clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    Umm I owned the predecessor of the 300C the 300M. There is no way I would even consider a 300C after the exprience I had with the car and the dealerships. I have an Infiniti and a Honda now and the experience is worlds apart. The 300C will be worth 45% or less of what was paid for it in 24 months. Actually I haven't seriously considered MB because of the quality of my chrysler. However I wouldn't cross shop the 300C and the E-class at all.
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Member Posts: 792
    Yes, DCX is keeping the MB brand targeted to people who want to pay more. We own an '02 C230K, bought new in '03 for $25,500, but I am not going to write a check for a car with anything greater than a 3 at the left end of the amount.

However, the automotive press reports that the 300C is attracting some MB, BMW, Cadillac, and Lincoln trade-ins. For DCX, the excitment in North American is currently centered on the 300C and Magnum (introduction 6/17).

It is a shame that they only plan to import a few of the E320CDI cars, and that they are not (yet) offering diesel engines in all of the DCX cars sold here.

I won't post here anymore, but hope everyone has a good time with their new cars.
  • mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    I have a 2000 E430 sport that has 26,000 miles. The car has been virtually flawless. It has the coldest air conditioning which is a strong point for me on any car.

One small issue was that both vanity mirror covers broke off during warranty. Just the other day the passenger broke off again. These are made pretty cheap. Now that the car is out of warranty, I'll have to cough up the $200 (?). I only have 26,000 miles, how many times has this thing even been opened in 55 months... I can probably count on two hands!

I saw a 2005 E320 CDI on the lot and I was really shocked at the fuel mileage...27/37. This particular one listed for $56,000; had heated seats and the rear shade plus a few other options. Very tempting! When I went back a few days later to check the lot again, the CDI was gone. Someone snapped it up pretty quick!

I hope that Mercedes goes back to the old braking system, why mess with something that works perfectly?

Mark156
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • r1_97r1_97 Member Posts: 181
    Innovation comes from necessity. Pumping more oil and thus lowering the price is a temporary fix and will delay innovation.

In Europe they're paying $4.+ per gallon for gas. New diesel and hybrid designs come about because gas is expensive. Our dependence on foreign oil will continue until we bite the bullet and force more conservation and stimulate use of alternative energy sources. Is driving Hummer and gas guzzling sports cars worth the cost to our economy, environment and political sub servitude to oil nations who hate and exploit us?
    I read somewhere that growing corn for ethanol uses more energy then is generated by the crops. Anyone have more specific info on use of grow your own fuel? I know ADM made mega bucks political contributions for legislation mandating ethanol use in gas.
  • tomjavatomjava Member Posts: 136
    http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=7190

I never understand MB logic; why's wrong with conventional brake. Also I can't figure it out why E320 CDi has inline 6 and E320 has lousy 90 degree V6?

E320CDi will definitely replace my 1989 W124 300e which is unfortunately still running strong.
  • mynextcarmynextcar Member Posts: 30
    I have 02 E320, bought brand new two years ago. So far I just had one minor problem and very happy with it overall. I think E430 should be the same quality wise. The only negative about it is the OEM tires do not work well in the snow, so prepare extra bucks for winter tires if you live in snow area. I will defenitly keep my car until the last year of the current model.
  • 2dimples2dimples Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 e class. Today I noticed a small scratch on bumper. Should I use touch up paint on it?
  • boiler1boiler1 Member Posts: 56
    I would. Did you have something else in mind though?
  • wjj44wjj44 Member Posts: 1
    As an older diesel buyer, I struggled through the early VW diesels in the 70's. Owned 2 Audi 5000 diesels in the 80's OUCH!!! Bought and still own a 98 and 99 Mercedes E 300 turbo diesel. I reached the pinnacle of performance (I thought) with Mercedes. Good performance, acceleration and economy (25-28 mpg) plus luxury in a sedan.
    Throw out all of the above. The Mercedes E320 CDI I just bought leaves everything else in the dust (including their gas model 320).
    Not only is it in less than 2 weeks the greatest car I have ever owned (out of 500 throughout my life), but it is the best performing too. It is everything you have read plus more!
    Based upon my current age and ownership history, I'd have to live to about 1,300 years of age to get up to 500 cars. I'm at 8 cars and getting dangerously close to 50. I expect the rate will increae as my kids get to legal driving age, but I think I'll still end up about 475 short of you.

Based upon my "limited" experience, I'd agree with you on the E320 CDI. Although, from what I understand, the 8 cylinder CDI engines that are due to make their way into the E, S, and M class are even more impressive.
  • ppattersonppatterson Member Posts: 22
    Have states such as New York and California out lawed the purchase of new diesel passengar cars or is it simply that the higher air standards do not allow for purchasing new ones in those states.
    It is my understanding that a total of five states do not permit the sale of the E320 CDI and other diesel cars until the U.S. adopts the new clean sulfer diesel fuel in a couple of years. As I understand it, it's not the E320 CDI that is "dirty" or inefficient, it's the U.S. diesel fuel which is about a decade behind Europe, thanks to some powerful lobbying by the U.S. petroleum companies to delay the clean up requirements.

I shouldn't throw stones, living in DC, but you Californians out there should be questioning the sanity of your state. A responsible citizen cannot purchase a 35+ mpg E320 CDI, while Governor Arnold is driving around in a 9 mpg Hummer H1 that qualifies for a 100% tax write-off. And, if he wanted, he could be driving in a diesel version that gets about 35% of the mileage of the E320CDI. No wonder so many people in the rest of the country think California is rear-end backwards.
  • microrepairmicrorepair Member Posts: 508
    It isn't just California; here in Mass. we cannot enjoy the 320CDI and yet there are so many huge SUV's we haven't seen the sun shine on the roadways in months..! And it isn't due to cloudy skys !!

Just think how much oil we could conserve if everyone drove a 320CDI sedan or wagon.. Our legislators may wake up some day, but I'm not holding my breath waiting for my 320CDI...
    They are so popular because in order to increase CAFE, manufacturers were forced to use every engineering trick that could be used. When these were exhausted, they were forced to make the cars smaller & lighter. What resulted were cars that are glove tight people movers. There is no room for bigger people in a full size family sedan. (Granted, the '73 Mercury Grand Marquis was HUGE, but a "5 passenger" full size sedan is no substitute). Now when you buy a computer or a TV, you have to find someone with an SUV to bring it home. NOTHING fits inside today's cars except plastic grocery bags! America is a very big country, populated by physically bigger people than the Europeans or Asians. Not everone NEEDS an SUV 24/7, but todays consumers have been legislated into owning vans & SUVs.
    I'm not sure I buy your argument that cars have gotten that much smaller. As a matter of fact, other than the few behemoths of the 1960's, most cars are larger today than their predecessors.

Example, the Honda Civic today is significantly larger than the original Honda Accord. Back in 1978, I bought a Datsun B210 GX that weighed 2,100 lbs. The Honda Civic was even smaller. About the only car you can buy in the US today that weighs that little is a Lotus Elise. The BMW 5 series today is bigger in all dimensions than the BMW 7 series of the early 1990's. The BMW 3 series of today is bigger than the 5-series of the early 90's. And, in just about every case, the larger cars of today get better fuel economy than thier smaller ancestors.

We have an SUV and we do like having the hauling capacity. Yet, in spite of my Republican tendencies, I'd accept SUV's being subject to gas guzzler taxes and being included in the CAFE requirements. I have absolutely no doubt that the manufacturers, if forced to, could produce 20-25+ mpg SUV's. And I would gladly consider an E320CDI Wagon over a SUV if they didn't, rather than pay a $2,500 gas guzzler tax.

P.S. I ended up buying an Acura TL. The friend that recommended it is 6'6" and 235. His daughter sits in the rear seat behind him without any problem.
    They could build a 30 mpg full size SUV. Today. No A/C, no 4wd, no sound insulation, no carpet, no, headliner, carpeted floor mats....etc. The point is you wouldn't want it. Third world car are built this way, and serve quite well. We are spoiled, & think because we legislate it it is possible & must be done. You ARE paying a gas guzzler tax! Every time you fill up more frequently than me, with more gallons, you are paying more to go the same distance as me. The answer doesn't all lie inside our factories and the "evil corporations" that produce SUVs. The answer lies in the world. Not all the people who say they are our friends are, and not all people in the world are nice. If youe personally want to help, buy a cargo van with no finished interior to haull all your stuff using less fuel, or be patient untill the next fuel is ready. It is about 15 years away. Even when we don't use a drop of imported oil anymore, these same madmen will seek to destroy us in the most painfull ways their patient minds can conjure up. As to cars getting bigger...earlier versions of the cars you mention, have gotten bigger because while they moved us around, they were originally designed too small for the American people to live with. (Not just get around in). You just can't hang onto & build in all of the legislated safety bags, curtains, bumpers etc & have anything that would look like anything someone would want to buy. Of course a dirty bomb done by a terrorist would change all of this in an instant for about 10 months when we Americans would be bored and want our comforts again.

P.S. How old is your tall friend's daughter & how long is the trip? I've been in the back seat of a car for a trip to pick up my car at the dealer's svc depatrment, or for ice cream, laughing & chatting all the way. I wouldn't want to ride for more than 1/2 hour though.
    As for "cars havent gotten any smaller" compare the dimensions of a 1966 Chevy Impala 2 door sport coupe, which lucky teenagers cruised around in after school, to todays Chevy Impala. I'm not talking about minor inch and a half changes here.
    I think we have sufficiently taken this topic off track that I will exercide a little restraint before the host steps in.

I think it started when I made the case that it seemed strange that the E320CDI, the most fuel efficient full size sedan in the U.S. market, is banned in 5 states, while the 10 mpg Hummer qualifies for 100% accelerated tax writeoffs and is exempt from paying the a gas guzzler tax. The same $2,100 tax a friend of mine paid when he bought a BMW M5 in 2002 (which, by the way, gets about 24 mpg on the highway). I stand by my opinion that this is [non-permissible content removed] backwards.

There are plenty of good reasons to buy an SUV and we ourselves have found enough of them to likely replace our Trooper with another one in the near future. However, you hardly need to strip one down to get better fuel economy. SUV fuel economy has lagged, in my opinion, compared to the advances in passenger cars. Our 2004 3,500 lb 270 hp Acura TL is rated at 30mpg on the highway, compared to my 1995 3,000lb 190hp Maxima rated at 27mpg. There simply hasn't been much incentive, until the recent gas price spike, for the manufacturers to push SUV fuel economy. If any vehicle would benefit from the E320CDI engine, with 200 horsepower and 370 ft lbs of torque, it would be a 5,000 lb SUV. And if someone (myself included) wants to buy a 450 hp Porsche Cayenne Turbo capable of outaccelerating most sports cars, then they/we can afford to pay a gas guzzler tax and forego the 100% "business" acclerated write off. I am all for business, just not monkey business.

P.S. Sounds like we're both old enough to recall how that 19 foot long 1966 Chevy Impala handled. Right neck and neck with the Love Boat. Those might have been the glory days for teenagers needing a 6 foot wide back seat for large parties, but not for driving the family around on today's highways and beltways. Those were also the days when 60,000 people a year died in highway accidents with roughly 40% of the number of cars on the road as today. Sorry, off track again.
    I think there are 4 dr. sedans which will fit large people. According to Edmonds: "Currently, the Crown Vic is the favored ride of taxi drivers, police departments and fleet services. Decades-old technology and platform sharing (the Mercury Grand Marquis and Lincoln Town Car are progeny) allow Ford to keep the prices low. The Crown Victoria is a big car that offers a lot for the money." For more luxury think LS430 Mercedes S.

Even the largest desk type computer and a 19" CRT will fit into a trunk of Crown Vic. Granted, a large screen TV won't, but that's what delivery services are for.

We have an RX330 because my wife likes to sit up high and it's easy to put stuff in and take stuff out of the back. There is no reason not to require all SUVs to comply with the same emission and gas mileage requirements of sedans.
    A large screen TV will fit in back of the CDI wagon (if it were available here). It has as much space as most SUV's, save the real big ones.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Um, it probably is time to get back to our subject ...

:)
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Has anyone fortunate enough to own a E320 CDI, tried BP's new ULSD called ECD-1. I know it has made one person's Passat TDI run a lot smoother. I would love to own an E320. We test drove a gas version. CA has yet to approve the CDI.
  • billmcbillmc Member Posts: 4
    I'm brand new to posting here and am negotiating to purchase a new E320 sedan. Each of the 20 or so E320's on my Dealer's lot have a sunroof which shows as an option costing around $1200+. When I look at the TMV for a 2004 E320 on Edmunds, it shows the Dealer cost for each option, except for the sunroof, where it shows "N/A". I'm wondering if this means the information is not available to Edmunds for some reason....or does it mean "not applicable", as in the sunroof costs the Dealer nothing? Any help would be appreciated.
    I haven't seen an E320 without a sunroof. I assume it's built in to the dealer unit cost even though shown as a separate "option." It really isn't an option.
  • billmcbillmc Member Posts: 4
    I'm brand new to posting here and am negotiating to purchase a new E320 sedan. Each of the 20 or so E320's on my Dealer's lot have a sunroof which shows as an option costing around $1200+. When I look at the TMV for a 2004 E320 on Edmunds, it shows the Dealer cost for each option, except for the sunroof, where it shows "N/A". I'm wondering if this means the information is not available to Edmunds for some reason....or does it mean "not applicable", as in the sunroof costs the Dealer nothing? Any help would be appreciated.
  • r22549r22549 Member Posts: 42
    Hello,

I live in the Northeast. A dealer has offered to sell me an 01 E 430 4 Matic with 37k miles, certified, for 33k...Assuming the VMI shows no crazy warranty work, what you guys think..Thanx...
  • vicvvicv Member Posts: 41
    Subtract 7% and you've got dealer cost on the car and all factory options. You can go to MSN and get it, though. And don't forget the dealer gets a (I think) 3% holdback.
  • microrepairmicrorepair Member Posts: 508
    I live in Massachusetts and just bought an '01 E320 w/o 4 Matic, but with Bose, CD changer, heated seats and a couple of other goodies. Mine also had 37K on it and is also Starmarked. I paid 28K so sounds like your price is right in the ballpark.
  • rwalker07rwalker07 Member Posts: 16
    I purchased a silver 05 E320 CDI about three weeks ago. We just got back from a long trip. My observations are
       1. Extremely comfortable. A family of three in extreme heat and it was an absolute joy.
       2. Good gas mileage, but much less than I expected for the diesel. Got about 35 mpg on nearly 100 percent highway driving. (My Saab 9-5 did nearly as well on the highway).
       3. Felt very good about driving a MB despite the fact I was a little uncomfortable being one of those guys. Got a million looks at the small towns thru Utah, Idaho, Oregon and Washington where in the small cities there is nary a benz. Now Seattle is a different story.

So far so good. I traded up from an Acura and Saab to the MB and while the MB does not have as many goodies as the Acura, it simply drives better thus far.

I should add that this is the first rear wheel drive car that I have driven (hard to believe) and it really feels different, especially at acceleration.
  • rose1rose1 Member Posts: 1
    I am considering buying a used (2001-2003) E320 4matic or a BMW with all wheel drive. The local used car dealer said that MB had problems with its 4matic. We hope to buy a MB E320 in a model year that had the kinks worked out. Any suggestions?
  • footiefootie Member Posts: 636
    It might help you get some insight into other's experiences (and check similar on BMW boards).

As always, once you locate a specific vehicle, get the service records and give significant thought to an extended warranty.

MB (and BMW) parts and service are extrordinarily pricey and plan on frequent maintenance of even fairly recent (2000-2003) used ones.

Good luck
  • dieselbreathdieselbreath Member Posts: 243
    re: "Good gas mileage, but much less than I expected for the diesel."

Watch your mileage climb as the engine is broken in, which takes considerable time. My VW TDI's mileage was still climbing slightly at 75,000 miles. It has over 100,000 now and is flattened off.
    Most of your gains will show up in the first 30k miles.
    But 35 MPG in a car like that is nothing to sneeze at, especially with an automatic transmission!
    with a '98 and '01 E320:

The '98 had to have the entire transmission replaced - under warranty. Other than that, a few minor problems and ran great for 5 years.

The '01 (I bought an addl. 4yr extended warranty when new) 3 years running no problems. Only oil changes.
  • josterholtjosterholt Member Posts: 11
    I have been told that Mercedes is discontinuing their installations of Motorola TDMA V60 phones, and moving to GSM. I have a new E 320, and am looking for any information about the new phones. Has anyone heard anything about this new phone, and which of the GSM Motorola phones they are going to use?

Thanks,

Jack
  • lcd1lcd1 Member Posts: 147
    Just a suggestion. I think the CDI is in a class by itself. Please ignore this suggestion if such a forum is already created.
  • tomotomotomotomo Member Posts: 57
    I agree with lcd1 regarding a new thread for the E320 CDI.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
  • tvo1tvo1 Member Posts: 9
    I just purchased 2004 Black/Black with premium package for 52800. I am in So. Cal. Is it a good price?
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    Is that you out-the-door price? What was the sticker on your car, i.e., what does it have on it?
  • carmaven18carmaven18 Member Posts: 21
    How does everyone like the panorama roof? How much does it open up? Does it open up in the back too? Does it have sunshades, or how does their cooling mechanism work? Do you think it is worth the $1500? Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.