Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedans

Comments

• r1_97r1_97 Posts: 181
    I had a '98 E-320 which had to have the entire transmission replaced, fortunately, under warranty. Otherwise cost would have been over $5k. Other than that, only a few minor problems - breaks, electrical - nothing major.

Be advised, out of warranty repairs and ordinary maintenance are expensive. You can expect more maintenance problems than with a Japanese car but the driving experience is worth it, IMO.
  • mark156mark156 Posts: 1,992
    My "E" has been a really good car so far. But, I only have 28,000 miles on it. In October, I will have owned it 5 years.

When I traded my 1991 560SEL for the "E", I had 82,000 miles on it and had spent about $8,000 in repairs the last couple of years I owned it. The car looked like brand new (Black with Palomino leather) but the repairs were getting tiring. The transmission and air conditioning were still original. The repairs included new fuel injection $2,000 (done twice, second time free), power steering gear box $2,000, new radiator $600, two rear window regulators $300, new taillight $300(the other just started holding water), drivers side sunvisor $225, left rear tire would not come off for tire rotation.. had to have the bolts drilled out $600 (this was the last straw), I traded it in 1999 for $16000 towards the new "E".

Mark
  • hey thanks! let us know what 87 does.
  • svinaiksvinaik Posts: 84
    Folks,
    my service advisor is recommending transmission flush ($280), power steering flush ($69) and brake pad change ($180).

can you please give me some guidence on two oil flushes and are the charges seem appropriate.

Thanks
  • isn't it still under the maintenance plan except for the pads?
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 2,480
    Could any snow belt owners comment on their E's snow-ability. Did you mount snows or not? Head to the mountains to ski (I'm in the Boston area and skin VT, NH and ME)? Any real world insights would be appreciated.

'13 Jaguar XF, '11 BMW 535xi, '02 Lexus RX300

• tlambtlamb Posts: 11
    I am about to order a E320 CDI and intend to get the panorama roof. I will be driving in Coastal North Carolina / South Carolina. Does anybody advise against this feature due to sun or summer heat and humidity or any other reason?

All input is appreciated.
  • footiefootie Posts: 636
    Your concerns may be well-founded. Given the curviture of the E's rooflines, the new roof could cause heating and sunburn ...

I understand that Mercedes has a couple of options:

1) The lower cost Panoramic Roof cover option provides the owner with an elegant, Mercedes logo-bearing, leather-look, all weather cover for the Panoramic roof option. It attaches securely to the roof with high Gauss (that's a German word for strong magnetic field) rare-earth magnets, that will keep it in place at autobahn speeds. It's a paltry $599 and comes with a matching storage container.

2) For a more finished look, there's the special factory option, Panoramic roof insert. This insert is made of a patented, high tech material that duplicates the exact look and feel of the E series roof before installation of the Panoramic roof. Customers that want to know that they actually have a Panormaic roof but want to enjoy their Mercedes in climates where it may not be most suited, can order the insert. Only they will know that they actually bought and paid for the Panoramic roof. It's only an additional $2750 plus a small uplift for special order paint if necessary.

3) If your budget is tight, JC Whitney has a special polarizing film that can be applied to the inside glass of the Panoramic roof. It is both horizontally and vertically polarized, which insures that no radiation whatsoever gets in or out of your Mercedes through the roof. This protects occupants from harmful radiation and gives great privacy when riding in high rise condo neighborhoods. It's only $19.99 for a 3' x 6' sheet, a couple of which should cover your opening.

Good luck!

(all very tongue-in-cheekily)
  • koopkoop Posts: 5
    Hi,
    When I purchased this used, I was NOT informed that the car has NAV system, however when I took it home and check the trunk, it has a DVD-ROM drive that label NAV. When I push NAV on the console, it says something like "No NAV DVD inserted...".

Does it mean I do have Navigation system? And all I am missing is the DVD media.
    Koop, do you have the Nav screen on your dashboard? I don't have Nav on my E but I have it on my ML. The disk is usually inserted in a slot under the Nav screen on the dash or, if like on my ML, the Nav screen will motorize open and the CD goes behind the Nav screen. It is separate from the 6 CD cartridge.

If you have the Nav, you usually can purchase the "whole" set for under $200 when buying the car new. I think the DVD/CD's are like $145 each if you buy them separate. You might can buy them on ebay pretty cheap if you want to go that route.

Mark
    Mine only has single CD loader, and the console has everything in one screen: radio, cd, clock, etc. There is a button labeled NAV, and when I push it it complains that "No NAV DVD inserted...". The car did not have Owner's manual, I did order it from MB. Don't know when it will come.

What year is your E and how do you like it? Any major problems :) I was skeptic with our purchase after reading about problems of other E owners. We found a good deal so we went for it, we plan to keep it for a long time, so we also purchased the 2 year extended warranty. Coming from an 2000 BMW 528i that has ABS failed and leaking transmission fluid at 63K, it was not fun :(

Koop
    Koop, my E is a 2000 E430 sport, Brilliant Silver with Ash leather. I've owned it 5 years this month and have about 29,000 miles; this car has been a really good one. Just a few adjustments (new sunvisors under warranty [vanity doors broke off], a new fog light under warranty, a new clock [ran slow] under warranty). Just regular service is all I have needed so far.

If understand you correctly about your Nav, you have a 4 inch by 4 inch screen at the center of your dash?

Happy driving! Mark
    Good to hear about your 2000 E, hopefully mine will behave too :)

About the NAV, the console is about 4x4" and it controls everything: radio, cd, clock, etc.
    I think NAV is built-in, and when you buy the option they just give you the DVD media.

If it costs to much, then I would not pursue it. Although, my wife surely needs it :)

Koop
  • boiler1boiler1 Posts: 56
    The NAV system is a $1200 option so if you have the DVD-ROM in the trunk I would wager you have the option. As for the disk, you only need one for the whole U.S. and since a new one is at least $200 I would insist that the dealer you bought the car from provide the DVD. If they won't do it, maybe ebay.
    I forgot about the new nav DVD being just one disk. My ML has 9 CD's that operated certain area's of the country. I LOVE the nav, it has come in so handy trying to find different address/businesses. All future cars of mine will have the Nav.

Mark

About the NAV, the console is about 4x4" and it controls everything: radio, cd, clock, etc.
    I think NAV is built-in, and when you buy the option they just give you the DVD media.

If it costs to much, then I would not pursue it. Although, my wife surely needs it :)

Koop
  • sfvicsfvic Posts: 2
    Can someone give me some advice on my car. I bought a 1997 E320 with 53,000 miles last year for $20,000. Very clean car. Ran great. Lately I have had the following problems:

1)Reverese lights stay on (Cost to fix $600)
    2)Oil leaking (they say it could be the front engine cover ($400) or the head gasket ($2500)
    3)Water pump needs to be replaced ($600)

I'm wondering if it is worth fixing this car or is this just the beginning of many problems.

Thanks for any advice.
    It was my experience it was just the start. SELL IT ASAP!!! My 1991 560SEL had 82,000 miles when I traded it. At about 53,000 miles, it started to leak oil. Mercedes took care of if for free because it had just gone out of warranty (thank goodness). From 53,000 miles to 82,000 miles, I spent about $8,000 and didn't want to put another dime into that car. The transmission and air conditioning system were still original and I just didn't want to have any more expensive repairs. I traded it in on my 2000 E430 sport in late 1999.

Koop
  • r1_97r1_97 Posts: 181
    You didn't say if the quotes are from a dealer. You might try another qualified repair shop. Repair costs for Mercedes are VERY EXPENSIVE. You have to weigh the costs against the status and driving benefits of Mercedes against a more economical car.

I sold my '97 E-320 2 years ago because I didn't want the inconvenience and expense of repairs. I now have an '01 E-320 with an extended warranty. When it expires, I'll sell the car.