Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedans

Comments

• abd2abd2 Member Posts: 3
    hi mark thanks for reply
    the price $8000 with tax and every thing
    the car is very clean and have all the record
    and one owner only

what u think about that
    ?
    thanks bro
  • abd2abd2 Member Posts: 3
    thanks for the advise
    i can afford the maintenance

cuz its on cheap price only $8000
  • ctlctl Member Posts: 129
    a low mileage 1997 accord/camry can cost $8000, and there is certain NO comparison between them, if all things (maintainence/repairs) being equal. Go figure.

budget, say 2K each year for M&R along? others here may give you a better estimate
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    Again, I would just point out that there are other alternatives for a "second car" than a cheap to buy, but potentially risky to maintain 1997 E320.

For example, back in 2001 I bought a new Honda S2000 for $32,000, drove it for 2 1/2 years and 19,000 miles and traded it in for $22,000. If I had wanted to go through the hassle of selling it privately, I likely would have gotten $24,000+. My maintenance over that period of time was under $300 total (Mobil 1 oil changes every 4,000 miles, etc.).

If you think you can't afford to buy something like a new Honda S2000 as a fun car, then you might reconsider the wisdom of buying an $8,000 Mercedes that could have a couple of multi-thousand dollar repairs (engine, transmssion, suspension) if you're unlucky. While I would certainly hope not, it is entirely possible that the "net" cost to you over the next 2.5 years on an 8 year old 100K+ mile Mercedes could approach what the Honda S2000 cost me. I was prepared to spend $10,000 on a third car for 2.5 years, especially since I turned it into my company car and got some tax savings that reduced the actual cost me by over 40%. But, in general, I think unnecessary second or third cars are a questionable purchase if you are on anything resembling a limited budget.

Certainly not trying to tell you how to spend your money, just suggesting you evaluate all angles before making your decision. Good luck whatever that is.
  • martye320martye320 Member Posts: 45
    Thanks! I rented some cars for the weekend...a Cad. DeVille and put regular gas in that V8, nothing happened. It drove fine. Since my lease is only a couple years left, I'm thinkin about letting the gas tank empty and then going to 87 for my E320
  • r1_97r1_97 Member Posts: 181
    I've driven 2 E-320s, a 98 and my current 01. Both perform better on 91 than 87 octane. You won't hear knocking on 87 due to the on board computer adjusting to it, BUT, why give up performance. If you can afford an E320 get the performance you deserve.

OTOH, my wife's Lexus RX330 drive great on 87.
  • stvjefstvjef Member Posts: 1
    An acquaitance is selling a 98 E320 sedan, 65K miles in near cherry condition for around $18K. Some elements of this forum scare me. Especially talk of tranny problems. Is reliability a problem with these vehicles? I keep my cars a long time, and have always thought MB could go for the long haul. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance
  • microrepairmicrorepair Member Posts: 508
    Think long and hard about whether you want to pay big bucks within the next 20K-30K miles for a lot of maintenance items as well as the possibility of a head gasket for that engine. I kept my 96 until 140K and from 115K to 125K it cost me almost $4000 for the head gasket and various maintenance items such as shocks (approx. $700), serpentine belt ($125), rotors and pads (approx. $800), water pump ($400), and the head gasket ($1400). There were a few other smaller repairs also. Once it was all fixed up it probably could go another 60K or more miles without any significant maintenance money except for brake pads.

The 97 is the last year of the straight six for the E and it (as well as the 2.8 liter in the C-class) are notorious for requiring head gaskets (oil leaks) in the 120K-150K mile range. The price I paid was the lowest of three quotes, with other dealers being as high as $2000..

On the other hand, $8000 cash (not my dealer) is what I got from a dealer for mine at 140K miles and it was a year older than the one you're looking at. But he knew I paid for all those repairs..

And yes, it got regular and frequent oil changes, etc..

My "new" 2001 will get sold within a month of when the Starmark wararanty runs out at 100K miles. No more big repair bills for me..
  • boiler1boiler1 Member Posts: 56
    I'm going to time some 0-60 mph runs and see if I can detect a difference in performance between 87 and 91 octane. I'll let you know the outcome in a couple of weeks.
    A 7 year old E320 for $18k doesn't seem like a very good price, at least in my area (DC). I've seen 2001's going for the low to mid $20's. As I've posted, I am not disputing that Mercedes can last a long time if properly maintained. I'm just pointing out, along with others, that repairs and maintenance will be a much bigger ticket than a Toyota or Honda.
    I had a '98 E-320 which had to have the entire transmission replaced, fortunately, under warranty. Otherwise cost would have been over $5k. Other than that, only a few minor problems - breaks, electrical - nothing major.

Be advised, out of warranty repairs and ordinary maintenance are expensive. You can expect more maintenance problems than with a Japanese car but the driving experience is worth it, IMO.
  • mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    My "E" has been a really good car so far. But, I only have 28,000 miles on it. In October, I will have owned it 5 years.

When I traded my 1991 560SEL for the "E", I had 82,000 miles on it and had spent about $8,000 in repairs the last couple of years I owned it. The car looked like brand new (Black with Palomino leather) but the repairs were getting tiring. The transmission and air conditioning were still original. The repairs included new fuel injection $2,000 (done twice, second time free), power steering gear box $2,000, new radiator $600, two rear window regulators $300, new taillight $300(the other just started holding water), drivers side sunvisor $225, left rear tire would not come off for tire rotation.. had to have the bolts drilled out $600 (this was the last straw), I traded it in 1999 for $16000 towards the new "E".

Mark
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
    hey thanks! let us know what 87 does.
  • svinaiksvinaik Member Posts: 84
    Folks,
    my service advisor is recommending transmission flush ($280), power steering flush ($69) and brake pad change ($180).

can you please give me some guidence on two oil flushes and are the charges seem appropriate.

Thanks
  • myopinionmyopinion Member Posts: 11
    isn't it still under the maintenance plan except for the pads?
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,732
    Could any snow belt owners comment on their E's snow-ability. Did you mount snows or not? Head to the mountains to ski (I'm in the Boston area and skin VT, NH and ME)? Any real world insights would be appreciated.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• tlambtlamb Member Posts: 11
    I am about to order a E320 CDI and intend to get the panorama roof. I will be driving in Coastal North Carolina / South Carolina. Does anybody advise against this feature due to sun or summer heat and humidity or any other reason?

All input is appreciated.
  • footiefootie Member Posts: 636
    Your concerns may be well-founded. Given the curviture of the E's rooflines, the new roof could cause heating and sunburn ...

I understand that Mercedes has a couple of options:

1) The lower cost Panoramic Roof cover option provides the owner with an elegant, Mercedes logo-bearing, leather-look, all weather cover for the Panoramic roof option. It attaches securely to the roof with high Gauss (that's a German word for strong magnetic field) rare-earth magnets, that will keep it in place at autobahn speeds. It's a paltry $599 and comes with a matching storage container.

2) For a more finished look, there's the special factory option, Panoramic roof insert. This insert is made of a patented, high tech material that duplicates the exact look and feel of the E series roof before installation of the Panoramic roof. Customers that want to know that they actually have a Panormaic roof but want to enjoy their Mercedes in climates where it may not be most suited, can order the insert. Only they will know that they actually bought and paid for the Panoramic roof. It's only an additional $2750 plus a small uplift for special order paint if necessary.

3) If your budget is tight, JC Whitney has a special polarizing film that can be applied to the inside glass of the Panoramic roof. It is both horizontally and vertically polarized, which insures that no radiation whatsoever gets in or out of your Mercedes through the roof. This protects occupants from harmful radiation and gives great privacy when riding in high rise condo neighborhoods. It's only $19.99 for a 3' x 6' sheet, a couple of which should cover your opening.

Good luck!

(all very tongue-in-cheekily)
  • koopkoop Member Posts: 5
    Hi,
    When I purchased this used, I was NOT informed that the car has NAV system, however when I took it home and check the trunk, it has a DVD-ROM drive that label NAV. When I push NAV on the console, it says something like "No NAV DVD inserted...".

Does it mean I do have Navigation system? And all I am missing is the DVD media.
    Koop, do you have the Nav screen on your dashboard? I don't have Nav on my E but I have it on my ML. The disk is usually inserted in a slot under the Nav screen on the dash or, if like on my ML, the Nav screen will motorize open and the CD goes behind the Nav screen. It is separate from the 6 CD cartridge.

If you have the Nav, you usually can purchase the "whole" set for under $200 when buying the car new. I think the DVD/CD's are like $145 each if you buy them separate. You might can buy them on ebay pretty cheap if you want to go that route.

Mark
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
    Mine only has single CD loader, and the console has everything in one screen: radio, cd, clock, etc. There is a button labeled NAV, and when I push it it complains that "No NAV DVD inserted...". The car did not have Owner's manual, I did order it from MB. Don't know when it will come.

What year is your E and how do you like it? Any major problems :) I was skeptic with our purchase after reading about problems of other E owners. We found a good deal so we went for it, we plan to keep it for a long time, so we also purchased the 2 year extended warranty. Coming from an 2000 BMW 528i that has ABS failed and leaking transmission fluid at 63K, it was not fun :(

Koop
    Koop, my E is a 2000 E430 sport, Brilliant Silver with Ash leather. I've owned it 5 years this month and have about 29,000 miles; this car has been a really good one. Just a few adjustments (new sunvisors under warranty [vanity doors broke off], a new fog light under warranty, a new clock [ran slow] under warranty). Just regular service is all I have needed so far.

If understand you correctly about your Nav, you have a 4 inch by 4 inch screen at the center of your dash?

Happy driving! Mark
    Good to hear about your 2000 E, hopefully mine will behave too :)

About the NAV, the console is about 4x4" and it controls everything: radio, cd, clock, etc.
    I think NAV is built-in, and when you buy the option they just give you the DVD media.

If it costs to much, then I would not pursue it. Although, my wife surely needs it :)

Koop
    The NAV system is a $1200 option so if you have the DVD-ROM in the trunk I would wager you have the option. As for the disk, you only need one for the whole U.S. and since a new one is at least $200 I would insist that the dealer you bought the car from provide the DVD. If they won't do it, maybe ebay.
    I forgot about the new nav DVD being just one disk. My ML has 9 CD's that operated certain area's of the country. I LOVE the nav, it has come in so handy trying to find different address/businesses. All future cars of mine will have the Nav.

Mark

About the NAV, the console is about 4x4" and it controls everything: radio, cd, clock, etc.
    I think NAV is built-in, and when you buy the option they just give you the DVD media.

If it costs to much, then I would not pursue it. Although, my wife surely needs it :)

Koop
  • sfvicsfvic Member Posts: 2
    Can someone give me some advice on my car. I bought a 1997 E320 with 53,000 miles last year for $20,000. Very clean car. Ran great. Lately I have had the following problems:

1)Reverese lights stay on (Cost to fix $600)
    2)Oil leaking (they say it could be the front engine cover ($400) or the head gasket ($2500)
    3)Water pump needs to be replaced ($600)

I'm wondering if it is worth fixing this car or is this just the beginning of many problems.

Thanks for any advice.
    It was my experience it was just the start. SELL IT ASAP!!! My 1991 560SEL had 82,000 miles when I traded it. At about 53,000 miles, it started to leak oil. Mercedes took care of if for free because it had just gone out of warranty (thank goodness). From 53,000 miles to 82,000 miles, I spent about $8,000 and didn't want to put another dime into that car. The transmission and air conditioning system were still original and I just didn't want to have any more expensive repairs. I traded it in on my 2000 E430 sport in late 1999.

Koop
    You didn't say if the quotes are from a dealer. You might try another qualified repair shop. Repair costs for Mercedes are VERY EXPENSIVE. You have to weigh the costs against the status and driving benefits of Mercedes against a more economical car.

I sold my '97 E-320 2 years ago because I didn't want the inconvenience and expense of repairs. I now have an '01 E-320 with an extended warranty. When it expires, I'll sell the car.
  • microrepairmicrorepair Member Posts: 508
    I just traded my 96 E320 in April for a 2001 E320. Two years ago at 115K miles I had to replace the starter, front rotors, all brake pads, shocks, serpentine belt for approx. $1600. Six months later at 125K miles I had an oil leak in the head gasket. One dealer quoted $1700 (no loaner), an independent garage quoted $1900 (no loaner) and my selling dealer quoted $1350 with a loaner! Unfortunately when the did the head gasket they discovered that the water pump was shot too and they did that for only $300 instead of the normal $500.

So in about 8 months I spent approx. $3500 but it ran like a new car again. I kept it for another 15K miles but get leary of keeping it to 300K like some folks I know because all the dealers and mechanics said that the head gaslet is not a permanent fix. It could easily blow again in 50-100K miles.. It's a design flaw with the straight six and will fail for the first time in the 150K mile range. Mine was a little early, but yours at 73K miles is absurd... You may have a lemon. You probably should consider getting rid of it before the leaks and other issues get worse.

Like r1_97, I too bought a 2001 E320 5 months ago and I bought 2 extra years on the Starmark so I should be fully covered until the 100K mile mark at which time I will trade it before the repairs start.. Hopefully for a 2005 E500... I just drove one at the Love Mercedes tour in Boston and can't believe how much better it is in every way from my 2001, which I think is a big step up from the 1996-7 model. Now if only they could make them to last for 300K miles like they used to back in the 80's...
  • scedsced Member Posts: 2
    Greetings,

After spending many hours perusing the Forum for an answer, I've decided to post my question/situation. I was hoping for some direction regarding adding AWD to the vehicle I'm currently in the process of ordering with my dealer.

I'm about to purchase a new E500 and am very curious about potential shortcomings and perceived/known benefits of the All Wheel Drive system. I once test drove an Audi (4 series) with the Quatro system and felt that it accelerated like a sick dog. There was a large perceptible lag from pedal to response time. I ended up with a BMW 528 instead.

I'm now looking "for something different" and a E500 MB seems to fill that want. I currently drive at all hours (day/night) due to the nature of my job and irregardless of the weather. I lived 9 years in Chicago with a Mustang GT, so my driving skills are aptly honed by that experience. I surely love the concept a vehicle that would stick to the road in all conditions (including the recent heavy rains I've been driving through in the steep mountain passes I have to travel in my current California residence). I feel avoiding one accident or spinout on a highway such as these will easily justify any extra charge for the AWD and the slight sacrifice in gas mileage.

However, I'm afraid that the AWD will sacrifice performance and make the E500 I get "less peppy" to drive (i.e., loss of acceleration), but maybe that was just because I test drove an underpowered vehcile (i.e., the Audi A4). Furthermore, are these systems breakdown prone?

I'm grateful for any thoughts or advice you folks might have on this issue.
    I can't imagine why an E500 would not be "peppy" enough for you, with or without AWD. If you want a hot rod and can afford it, try an AMG or a BMW 540 with an 8 cylinder engine. That should satisfy your need for speed and handling. If you're really concerned about "avoiding one accident or spinout," SLOW DOWN!
    I would go with the 4Matic and the V8. You won't be sorry. Even my current E320 4Matic doesn't feel like a total dog compared to the non AWD CLK320 I had.
  • ccmbduong1ccmbduong1 Member Posts: 49
    MB guys: Do we need to change spark plugs for '93 E320 at 30,000 or 60,000 miles interval?
    Thanks
    My feelings are that you ought to widen your scope of car choices.

Even though the MB E500 is still competitive at this performance point, you pay alot to get a car with a not so sparkling availability rating. Perhaps a look at the Infiniti G35 AWD would be informative.

If driving all hours day/night and regardless of the weather is important, then a car with a high level of 'getting you there' is important. Infiniti is right behind Lexus in reliability and low defects.

Additionally, the MB 'fourmatics' are older, fixed front / rear distribution AWD systems (60/40), whereas the Infiniti system is 1st 100/0/100 system that puts everything in the rear when it's needed and everything at the front when its needed there - and everything in between. This takes very sophiscated mechanics and electronics, an area where the German makes have been having a tough time in the last decade.

If you go to Edmunds' Compare Vehicles feature and compare a G35 AWD to an E500 you will see how remarkably close in size they actually are. The G has more head room, their wheelbases are the same and the features and options are very similar.

Plus you can buy 2 G35 AWD's for the price of one E500 4 matics. IMHO: Shop around. MB isn't the technical leader in this space, are low on the value scale. Like a Rolex, they are great jewelery, but average timepieces.

Unfortunately, they don't make a wagon so they dont' address the virtually identical post you made over in the MB Wagon area.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    "Plus you can buy 2 G35 AWD's for the price of one E500 4 matics. IMHO: Shop around. MB isn't the technical leader in this space, are low on the value scale. Like a Rolex, they are great jewelery, but average timepieces."

Hmmm, if one wants an E500 Mercedes-Benz and/or a Rolex, then who cares if a G35 or a Timex is a fraction of the cost. Folks should buy/drive/wear what they want and say "To hell with the opinions from the peanut gallery." ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    I would generally agree with your comment.

But interestingly enough, I put a deposit on an E320 CDI earlier this year and the bloody Mercedes / Acura dealership owner convinced me to try a TL 6-speed instead. He knew my strong preference for manual transmissions and, sure enough, the TL was a lot more fun to drive. I was still strongly considering the CDI, but was also dissapointed by its inferior navigation system, lack of Bluetooth phone technology, extra cost/inferior upgraded audio system, etc. Not to mention its handling and cornering, RWD vs. FWD notwithstanding, did not match the tighter suspensioned TL.

So, after waiting for a year for the CDI to hit our shores, I ended up going with a TL, thanks in part to the Mercedes / Acura dealer. Don't get me wrong, I think the CDI is a great car and my marketing director loves hers. But apparantly I wasn't so enamored with "Mercedes" as to be unable to be persuaded by a less expensive - and more compatible - alternative. My only three regrets are - I still would prefer the TL to be RWD, Mercedes seat comfort is superior, the CDI makes gas station stops less frequent or painful.

The next sedan I have my sights on is the new M5. Unfortunately, if BMW only offers a 7-speed SMG as rumored, even this $85k car will fall short of a major preference of mine and I might have to "stoop down" to a 545i 6-speed, M3 or other alternative. Having the money to spend doesn't necessarily mean it's the right choice.
    IMHO

Folks post here to get feedback from the peanut gallery. Welcome aboard.

"Wanting" something for impressionistic reasons is always a choice. It's what marketing and merchandising are all about.

In the case of the MB car line sold in the US there's about $2500 worth of 'want creation' in each sticker designed to make folks feel good about a questionable value proposition.

Websites like Edmunds do an incredible job of putting facts and reviews in front of people caught up in a bad case of "want".
    Hehe, then again, there is the case of the folks like me (and you?) who WANT a car with three pedals more than we want one with three points on its star. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Thanks for the welcome! ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Hi,

2003 E320: Is there a software or program fix to change the radio tuning on the steering wheel to tune by preset instead of the station by station mode? I'm sad a C-Class can do it, but my E can't. Quite annoying since I don't want to take my eyes off the road.
  • stevewstevew Member Posts: 1
    I got the CDI. It does not have the quality of the 210 series E300 Turbodiesel, but the acceleration is much better, and the fuel mileage is about 1 mpg better (31 rather than 30) so far. I'm still breaking it in, and at 1300 miles I have only put fuel in it twice.
    -SteveW
    Just curious, what do you see as the E320 CDI's quality shortcomings compared to the E300 TD?

My marketing director traded a 1999 E300 TD for her 2005 E320 CDI and believes that it is a better car all around. Certainly looks nicer and fresher inside, IMO. She now has about 5,000 miles and not a single problem.
  • wbreaux1wbreaux1 Member Posts: 55
    On my 2001 E320, the change you're discussing can be easily made from one of the drop downs under the Settings window which is accessible when the car is at rest. I assume the 2003 would be just as easy. Hope that helps.
    Well, I've done extensive readin in mbworld.org and sadly, 2003 + no more selecting by preset. Gee, I thought the whole point was to be able to select by presets so that we don't have to take our eyes off the road and check the stations! Even C-Classes have it, and I paid almost twice as much for my MB! What a shame...I drive my 2003 Honda Accord more now because that has the preset tuning on the steering wheel.
  • maui20maui20 Member Posts: 1
    After test driving an Acura RL (2005), my wife and I ended up in the MB dealership today. I currently own a 2002 E320 4matic, and could basically trade it in on a new 2005 E320 4matic and have the same monthly payment without putting any more money into the deal. I found this kinda interesting, because I like the styling of the 2005 better than the 2002. I would also probably spend a coupld bucks for the DVD nav system. I have a couple questions: 1) Does the DVD nav system work well? 2) Is $1,500 about the cost of scheduled maintenece on this car for the first two years?

TIA
  • sleakesleake Member Posts: 47
    FYI: I recently read on another forum that in response to complaints, MB is planning a software update that will return this feature. No date was given, however. My 2001 C320 had this feature and it's absence has been my one and only complaint about my 05 E320.
  • albellalbell Member Posts: 185
    Hello, all. I am glad to be back in this forum, having just purchased a 04 320 4matic wagon. Having owned an 00 4matic, I can appreciate all of the upgrades, big and small. One question: is the transmission louder an "whinier" on the new Benz or is it just the 2 year interlude between them (an ill-fated switch to a Lincoln Aviator) that makes me forget how the car sounds. It doesn't sound bad or wrong, just louder than I remember. Thanks.
    Are you kidding?!? Go for the '05!!!

As for the nav, it's just OK. Don't count on much help outside of an urban area. My Chrysler Pacifica nav is far superior.

Don't know about the maintenance. Mine's an '04.
This discussion has been closed.