Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedans

Comments

• weldone99weldone99 Member Posts: 26
    Had a 2000 E class & bought a 2004 E class and I find the transmission not whinier, but I find the engine Revs up higher prior to shifting, a lot worse if you use the sports mode, using the comfort mode eliminates a lot of it. They tell me the adaptive transmission will adapt to your driving and should be OK. Remains to be seen. Preferred the transmission in my 2000 E for total smoothness.
  • albellalbell Member Posts: 185
    Thanks for the reply; seems logical. Have to spend more time in the e (only 500 miles to date) to determine...though I am sure that all is fine...just different. In local driving I have preferred the Sport mode which gives a little better and more easily modulated takeoff...agree that the comfort mode is smoother and quieter overall.
  • maui19maui19 Member Posts: 31
    Went back to my MB dealer to try to strike a deal on a 2005 E320 4matic, and not only did the dealer not seem very interested in selling the car, they were snotty to my wife. After this wholly unsatisfying trip to the dealer, we decided to take our business to another MB dealer. In the meantime, my wife suggested we try an Audi. We tested the new 2005 A6 and all I can say is WOW! What a great car--exactly what I was looking for. Extremely solid and quiet on the road like my MB, but much better handling and far sportier. Looks like I'm leaving the MB fold.
  • calchcalch Member Posts: 11
    Was trying to order new E class and dealer told me that if I order now, the car would be a E350 (to be delivered in 2-3 months).
    Looked on the European websites and the car looks pretty impressive. Is the same engine as the new SLK (0-60 in just over 7, 7 speed transmission)

Does anyone have an idea what the pricing for this car will be and how much different it really is from the E320.

Thanks for the help.
  • ccmbduong1ccmbduong1 Member Posts: 49
    Help. Anybody has a step-by-step instruction (with pictures)?. I replaced spark plugs of '87 Toyota Camry and '94 Mercury Villager Van. I want to learn how to change spark plugs on my MB, I don't think it's difficult but I need to know how to do it correctly. It's fun to do some regular maintenance and I don't want to screw it up by making stupid mistakes. My Car has been good to me, bought it used with 38,000 miles, now has 62,000 after 3 yrs. Any instruction with pictures would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. BTW, how often do you need to change '96 E320 spark plugs?
  • bamabadgerbamabadger Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2005 E320 which I will take delivery on 12/3/04. I am going to take a 1000 mile trip as soon as I get the car. My dealer says I can drive it as fast as I want as long as I want during the trip. I have been told by other MB owners to vary speeds for the first 500 miles and take it easy. What do you think? Thanks for your help.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,684
    Congrats on the new E! Could you describe the options you purchased and the purchase price? I'm debating buying/leasing and would appreciate any info.

Also, I'd vary my speed for the first 1k miles or so as suggested by habitat1. I believe that is fairly SOP for any new engine.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• mark_wnymark_wny Member Posts: 70
    The following car is for sale in my area -

http://www.greatlakes.mercedescenter.com/mbcenter/b/preowned/vehi- clespecs.jhtml?poVin=WDBJF65J6YB071242&listIndex=10&pageN- - um=2

I'm interested - I'd like to think it would be good for another 100,000 miles. However, what kind of repair issues am I likely to encounter during that time? I'm a gentle driver but roads in Western NY are in pretty rough shape.
  • tomjavatomjava Member Posts: 136
    Congratulation. No questions A6 is simply awesome!

I went to a car show, the new A6 has much better interior quality and presence compare to E class.
  • microrepairmicrorepair Member Posts: 508
    habitat1 has it almost exactly right; vary the engine speed; do not cruise at a steady speed for the whole 1000 miles. Acceleration is OK so long as you don't put a real heavy load on the engine as in "flooring" the accelerator. That would pump too much raw fuel into the cylinders which can reduce the efficiency of the lubricating oil and lead to excessive wear on the piston rings and walls. Approaching redline with light acceleration once in a while is good to "limber" up the engine and make it more willing to rev up once the engine is broken in. Although I've only owned 3 brand new cars, I used that technique on all and I've never had any engine or cylinder problems even up to 105K miles. And they used to rev up really sweet even with the 100K miles on them without burning any oil at all.
    Hi,

I had a 96 and did the plugs on mine. It is actually pretty easy. I changed mine at 85K and although they say they are good till 100K don't believe it! At 85K they were on their last gasp with gaps that opened up at least .008 inches.

I also changed the wires at that time too. You may want to consider that also. Be prepared for an outrageous price on the wires. There are only 3 and the wholesale price (through a friend who is a parts distributor) was $65... Ouch! But you might want to wait another 10-15K miles before doing it. Chances are yours doesn't "need" it quite yet.

On the top of the engine there is a black plastic strip running down the center of the engine between the cam banks. There are approx. 7 screws holding that in place. Once that is removed you see three coils and 3 wires going to three plug holes. The coils sit on top of three plugs and the three wires go to the other three plugs. (There are smaller wires coming from the engine management computer and going to each coil. Ignore those.)

Remove one of the wires and then remove the coil. (It pops up just like pulling a wire off the plug.) You can then remove two plugs and replace them and re-install the coil and wire. (The plugs sit pretty deep into the holes so you may have to use a long needle nose plier to get them out after loosening them.) Repeat two more times and you are done, after replacing the plastic cover. Just be careful you don't strip the screws holding the plastic cover down. The screws are going into aluminum in the cam covers.

Once I had replaced the plugs and wires the engine seemed to gain pep, power, and smoothness. Good luck and enjoy..
  • y2ktonyy2ktony Member Posts: 8
    Hi everyone,

I picked up my new E320 yesterday and can't begin to tell you how much I love this car. It rides like a cloud, yet handles exceptionally well. Beautiful, very quiet, extremely solid and fun. Some of you in earlier postings were asking about pricing. I leased mine. List price was $54,860. My lease was $2000 total out of pocket (fees, first payment, etc.), and $594/month for 39 months. Probably not a great deal, but it seemed to be the best deal I could find. My car is Pewter with Stone interior, and included the following options:

Navigation
    Heated Front Seats
    Entertainment Package
    Sunroof Package
    Rear Seat Package

I really wanted the Rear Seat Package for my trips to Home Depot! The only car I could find in New Jersey with this package had Navigation. I didn't think I'd use the Navigation, but it works well and is fun to use. The best part is that even if you don't have the system activated, it still tells you which street you are on in the multifunction display. Pretty cool.

Overall, this is one great car. I looked at the BMW 5 series (did not care for the interior), the Audi A6 (a nice car but the lease was $780/month) and the new Acura RL (didn't like the ride quality but the interior is gorgeous and nearly everything you can imagine is included).

I do have a few questions about the car and would appreciate your advice:

1. My dealer is including all weather floor mats, and recommended black because he said the beige ones aren't very attractive (a yellow beige). I don't expect any all weather (rubber) floor mat to be that attractive, but does anyone have the MB beige all-weather floor mat and is it really that bad? I think the black might look weird with the stone (light beige) interior.

2. I would like to add the MB Satellite Radio to the car, but the antenna would be an ugly black box on the trunk. Just wondering what other options I have. Would love to integrate it with the display, but I'm sure that won't be possible unless I purchase the MB satellite radio -- expensive at $900.

3. Ditto for cell phones. Has anyone installed an aftermarket cellphone kit? The MB kit is $1000 or so plus some outrageous amount ($2000?) for the cell phone that works with the kit. OUCH!

Any advice on floot mats, satellite radio and cell phone kits would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Tony
  • andyvandy1andyvandy1 Member Posts: 1
    With the introduction of the '05 E Class I noticed that the Sport Package now includes dual stainless steel exhaust tips and a device that delivers a more pleasing exhaust note.
    I own an '03 E500 with a sport package and wonder if I can have the portion of the '05 package that deals with the exhaust installed on my current car as an aftermarket add-on?
    Any advice on how I can obtain an answer?
    Thanks microrepair... Dealers told me that for '96 E320 spark plugs must be change at every 30,000 miles interval. You did not change yours until after 85K orginal miles? Please advise
    I'm pretty sure that the owners manual states that you don't need to change the plugs for 100K miles. I found that at 85K they were in need of change. On my '01, I'll probably change them at around 60K miles just to make sure it is running at top efficiency. I cannot believe that the dealer suggested 30K miles. That is just service department gouging..! Almost all cars today are advertised to go at least 60K miles miles on the original plugs; even my Toyota Matrix !!!
  • lovemyclklovemyclk Member Posts: 351
    If my experience serves me right, you should be able to add the new muffler/exhaust tips, but at a steep price. May even exceed aftermarket options like AMG, Brabus, etc. Can't say for sure, but the new look may just be aft of the muffler.
  • gold233790gold233790 Member Posts: 183
    y2ktony-

What dealership did you purchase from? Looking for almost identical model, but with the 4matic. Also, what is the mileage allowance on your lease?

As for the phones and sat radio, I'd like to know as well. Thanks.
  • y2ktonyy2ktony Member Posts: 8
    gold233790,

I got mine at Globe Motors in Fairfield, NJ. They definitely had the best pricing. My mileage allowance is 12,000 per year.

Note that the lease price on the 4matic, even though the car is only $2500 more, was about $250-$300 more per month (around $800-$850 per month). There are no lease specials right now on the 4matic. You'd be better off purchasing a 4matic.

I orignally wanted the 4matic, but couldn't justify another $300/month for it. The regular E320 is awesome in the rain -- I couldn't make the wheels slip today even though I really tried to. I'm sure the 4matic would be better in snow, but the non-4matic version is more fun to drive in most weather. I work from home most of the time, so it's not an issue if it snows. But if you need to drive to work everyday, the 4matic would be better.

I haven't heard anything about the cell phone kits or satellite radio. Have you considered the new Acura RL? It has 4 wheel drive, and all the toys you could want. I didn't like the ride that much (too harsh), and the exterior is boring, but the interior is beautiful and packed with every available option.

Tony
  • jhk_dbjhk_db Member Posts: 25
    I just picked up my '05 E320 last week and am still trying to figure out all the various controls etc. On the website and in the brochure, it states that the instrumentation panel has "glacier blue backlighting." However, the display within my speedometer does not appear to have this backlighting - it simply looks white on black (not white on blue). The dealer said the blue backlighting comes with a sport or appearance package which I do not have; I have the premium package, rear seat package and heated seats. Is the dealer correct?
    Microrepair... My manual indicates spark plugs change every 30K for '96 E320. I am impressed that you ran 85K before changing them. Surprise or am I missing something here
  • rosch2000rosch2000 Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone had problems with the outside temperature display being erratic???...although I've only got 2,500 miles on the car, it just started being inaccurate...sometimes it's ok and then it'll shoot up over 10 degrees of what it actually is outside...I know it's a small thing, but it drives me nuts...does anyone know where the sensor may be???...thanks
    Microrepair... What are OEM spark plugs? Any benefits with platnium plugs? Could it be that you used something other than OEM which allowed you to go 85K without changing spark plugs. Thanks for your input
  • mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    Rosch2000, I have 2000 E430 and my temp sensor is at the front bumper if I'm not mistaken. I'm amazed at how accurate the sensor can be. When I'm listening to the radio driving down the street and the weather guy/gal gives the outside temp, 99.9% of the time that's what my sensor is displaying (also true for my 2002 ML500). I have found to really trust it.

When you say erratic, at what point does that happen?

If the car is sitting at a traffic light it might increase from the engine heat. If it's sitting in the sun, it can go up 30-40 degrees.

Mark
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
    The plugs that lasted 85K came from the factory. I don't recall what the brand was but I installed either AC or Champion and they were still doing fine when I sold the car at 140K miles.. So that was 55K on those plugs.. And Bosch may be even better.
    I've had exactly the same experience as mark156 on both of the E's I've owned. At a traffic light or parked in the sun, the sensor will indicate anywhere from 2 to 20 degrees higher, temporarily. Once in motion for a minute or so, the temp reading becomes very accurate again. Always within one degree F.
  • rosch2000rosch2000 Member Posts: 2
    micro and marc: thanks for the insight...a salesperson at the dealership told me tonight that she thought the sensor was in the front bumper as well...she also mentioned that readings could be off due to heat from the road, etc...thanks, again...I appreciate the comments and help.
  • tomotomotomotomo Member Posts: 57
    My previously owned 2001 E320 had a temperature display that became erratic after only about 10000 miles. The dealer replaced the entire instrument cluster under warranty. Of course, the actual temperature will vary depending on the vehicle movement as discussed above.
  • jonnywaynejonnywayne Member Posts: 1
    Hi Tony,

I was looking to get a E320 4matic? Is this a 4matic and who is the dealer?

Thanks/John

jonnywayne@hotmail.com
  • cmosiancmosian Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone had trouble with scalloping on the outer shoulder of the front tires? I have a 1999 E320. Last year I was told I had defective front ball joints (lots of "play"). Dealer replaced them 5000 miles ago and I bought new Michelins. Now, I'm beginning to see signs of scalloping that are similar to what I had before.
  • wbreaux1wbreaux1 Member Posts: 55
    I have a 2000 E320 with 99k miles. A couple of years ago it was reading 30 degrees over the actual temp. I brought it in and they said the sensor was loose. They fixed it under warranty and then it was fine. Now for the past year or so (of course out of warranty) the cluster reading for both temp and time don't work. I haven't wanted to replace ($625) but I may before I sell it next year.
  • sean3sean3 Member Posts: 158
    hi MB folks i am not to familiar with MB products exept ive always wanted one while ,my friends at 16 wanted camaros and mustangs grand prixs and so on, i wanted a used MB well ten years have past and still no MB, now I can get my hands on about 20k which i know wont even make a down pay on a new one, but i still love MB old style cars to, and rather than get an also-ran 20 thousand dollar car i want a nice used Benz, which one is best,,that 20k can buy i do need a 4door and i think i like the 300E maybe, I thought lexus but they are such wannabee Benz, i cant stand them,I drove an old Audi 5000! back in hi school which i loved but was stolen and totaled out, i know audi is no Mb but i loved the way my audi drove and handled, It looked sweet to for a sedan that was an 1987 audi 5000/100 model, I have my heart set on a MB ,,any advice on what 20k can buy in the MB family,,thanks,,Sean
  • barry45rpmbarry45rpm Member Posts: 98
    1. I've got the same int/ext colors & use only the factory carpeted mats (Although I did get an extra set still in the garage for when the original ones are shot) I went thru last winter with the carpeted mats. They are simple to clean with Blue Coral Dri-Clean Upholstery Cleaner & a terry washcloth. I use it on the door sils/carpets & mats. Your color combo is exquisite, black rubber mats will kill the interior look of the car. If you want to look at black rubber, go for a ride in a Taxi! Don't sweat the Stone interior. It cleans right up. Passengers DO have to make a habit of getting into & out of the car without letting their shoes hit the high sills & kick panels.

2. Get the OEM Sirius radio installed. I was one of the 1st to do it. I have the black antenna on the trunk lid. Thats the price you pay for being an early adopter. You will NEVER listen to Broadcast radio again! Think of it as a Badge of Honor. You next car will have the next generation of antenna. This antenna will not hurt your resale value any, since given the choice between 2 cars identical in every way, the next buyer will choose the Satellite equipped car. It will be more mainstream by then anyway.

3. Wait for the '05 MB integrated phone to be available. These cars are not designed to be fooled with by aftermarket people. (Hell, the MB folks have a hard enough time understanding the convoluted German Engineering) You will be opening a can of worms you won't be able to close. I have the '04 w/ MB V60 integrated phone w/ Voice & can tell you it works flawlessly every time. The Voice ID is virtually bullet proof. I only use voice on a certain few numbers, but using the "phone Book" feature is EZ. These are extremely overly complex cars, the less undocumented stuff you do to them, the better.
    Hey Sean. It seems to me, you can get an 96-99 E320 for close to $20k, maybe a little less depending on the miles of course. Try and find the cleanest/lowest mile unit available.

Have you thought about a C230/C220? The new body style came out in 2002 and I would think the earlier models would run close to $20k or less. To me, even the previous style C-class is nice looking.

You compared the Mercedes to the Lexus in your previous post. Lexus are great cars but just don't have the "look". Even as a Mercedes ages, they seem to get keep their "panache", especially if they are kept clean and waxed regularly.

My old style 1991 560SEL had such a distinctive look. It was 9 years old when I traded it.

Good luck on your search! Mark
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
    man they are beautifull machines, we have a independent MB shop here that also runs a small lot for mercedes only, he has about 10 benzez at any given time, all in superb condition, but every one has TONS of miles but lok next to brand new, I there is something i like about the old school big benz, the big turbo-diesel, From what i see the thing i should watch out for is electrical systems in the benz, otherwise i see very little common problems, but i havent searched very long,i know in my audi i had some annoyin alec problems, but none that made the car inoperable,,i also like the 7series bmw before they messed with the style. i know lexus does some fine work, but the ones i can afford look to japanese. does the number on MB directly state the engine size? ie: 300E 3.0 6?
    First, let me correct myself... the current C-class came out in 2001 not '02. A friend of mine bought an '02 and it was a great car but, sadly, he went back to Lexus. He had to get back on the porch because he couldn't run with the big dogs anymore... LOL!

Sean, the engine sizes sometimes correspond to the numbers and sometimes they don't. For instance, my friend who bought the 2002 C240, had a 2.6 liter engine. The S600's are actually a 5.8 liter engine. Otherwise, most of the new Mercedes automobiles match the existing badges for engine size.

Before 1994, Mercedes used the "number" in front of the letters. A "300" was the current "E" but might have a 2.6 liter engine. The old "C-class" was the 190e... so, "190" was the designation because it listed an "E" too as the next model above.

If I'm not mistaken (I'm sure someone will correct me), but the letters back then meant either "E" for engine and "D" for diesel. A 500 SEL would be the "class" (and maybe engine size) but the S was the "top of the line" and "E" was for engine, and "L" was for Long wheelbase. Remember the "300 SDL", for the diesel? If the "L" was missing, it was a short wheelbase.

Mark
    but it has to be a 4door also, i figure for my first MB i should find the newest model 20k can buy, which is the 300? I think they are all sweet, do MB engines generally run a long time? does anybody have experince with independent type MB mechanics? ther is one here that servies MB only which makes me think he knows these machines well, thanks for your help ,Sean
    What do you think

1997 E320 57K 17,300

1998 E320 66K 17,999

1998 E430 64K 19,350

2000 E320 61K 23,997

2001 E320-4matic 51K 24,990

I wish 2005 E320 1,000Kmiles 53,250

seems a 1998 E320 would be in my range.thanks Sean
    Sean, just to keep in mind.... starting with the year 2000, the "E" had many updates, which included the steering wheel controls (mini computer, radio volume controls, phone), turning signal indicators in the side mirrors, front hood lowered about an inch and a half, trunk lid has a deeper lip on the edge, tail-lights changed, front bumper is smoother and the computer gives you an oil change monitor and measures the oil level.

Maybe next spring the 2000 or newer "E" can be had for $20,000.

Mark
    in your price range right now, but Mark is right, by next spring the 2000 should be available for about 20K.

Other neat upgrades in 2000 were a foolproof trunk remote opener (on my 96, I accidentally opened the trunk instead of the rear window a couple of times; most embarassing while moving!), the tilt down right hand rear view mirror and the 5 speed automatic w/touch shift. I bought a 2001 last April and am still learning about new features/upgrades almost weekly. It is a really significant step up, so if you can wait until they come down to the 20K range, I say wait..

But keep in mind that starting in 98, the "320" is the newer V6, also an improvement over the straight 6. So a 99 should be in your price range right now.

Good hunting..
  • donald02donald02 Member Posts: 54
    Does anyone have experience with a service warranty company named "Automotive Service Warranty Group"? I am considering an extended warranty for my '01 E-430 and am skeptical of private warranty companies. Thanks
    in my 10 years driving i 've heard time and time over if your going for extra warranty either Save your own money for repairs or only go with a ext warranty backed by the car maker, in fact 2 larger warranty company just folded, I learned when i put an ext warranty on my previous car, and they will be hapy to take your Money but when you ask for service its just not worth it, they will find any reason to deny or delay payment, or not even aknowledge your phone calls, basically i got a $300 repair for 1,400 outa my pocket, STAy away from Heritage TPA they suck and kept my 1,000, and took 3 months for that one $300 repair..go with Manufacturer Warrranty...IMHO sean
    Donald, I agree with Sean, save your money. My E430 sport has been out of warranty for a little over a year with only 28,000 miles on the odometer. I had to replace a rear window regular recently at the cost of about $180. The dealer replace both of my sunvisors under warranty and when the drivers side vanity mirror cover broke off again, they replaced it for free out of warranty because Mercedes has had trouble with these. I'm assuming if they break again, I might have to pay the $225 for replacement. Also, I'm sure something like that wouldn't be covered under an extended warranty.

To get your money out of an extended warranty, you would have to have an unusual breakdown. But, if you absolutely want a warranty, the manufacturers warranty is that way to go.

Mark
  • luvcars1luvcars1 Member Posts: 1
    Ok, don't yell but I'm torn between a brand new Honda Accord with satellite radio & navigation (do you really use it) or a used MB E320 with about 30 miles for about 33k. I am like sean3. I've always wanted a MB but is it wise to buy one at 30 some odd miles. I see that people on this board are still driving them at about 100k miles. Is that for real? Appreciate your comments. Anything I should look out for if I see a used 2003 or 2002 E320 for under or about 35k? Thanks.
    in my quest to find the latest lowest mileage MB in my pricerange, I think I will get a C class, I was behind one tonight and It was nice looking, I wanted E, but first me being a first time MB,2.6 V6, Luvcars: any car let alone a MB should go 100Kmiles these days, your comment about the accord my friend has an '03 accord w/evrything leather/nav/sat/ 4door Nice car, but different design theme than MB, personally the new accord is kind of slad sided goofy looking, awesome interior though, V-6, I know i was considering one of those to but the idea of owning a used MB is to strong that I know MB will be my next car, sounding like a car add but, when i see a MB it ignites my soul! man the AMG whoa thats a monster. since i've been driving I've always admired MB style, and more than 7 years later I have a chance to get one, and I will very soon, I am so excited, I already know the insurance will cost $ about 2300 a year on the C-class, but at 25 should go down some, there main reason was Theft and cost of parts, as I do have a fairly good drive record.

As far as reliability the only thing that concerns me is the bad marks they give the C class in electrical system but seems like that would be something figured out early in the cars life. Thanks for talking to me, gotta go to the C class peeps, Let me know what you think about C class MB...later, Sean oh all those Mercedes Holidaycomercials making me more anxious!
  • r1_97r1_97 Member Posts: 181
    You have to chose between being practical (Honda) or satisfy your lust for an MB (I assume you meant w/ 30k miles). With the latter, you'll face much higher maintenance costs and, God help you if you run into something major (like a new transmission out of warranty). That being said, there is great pleasure in driving control and the status of the MB and my guess is that you're looking for on line support for your decision and that you'll go for it. Life is short - you only go around once.

As for something to look out for - if the price seem way below market, check the history of the car and, in any event, have an unbiased professional give it a thorough inspection. It's good insurance. If you buy from a dealer with Starmark (warranty) you'll pay extra but this also is good insurance. If not, just be prepared for some unexpected high maintenance cost.

I'm on my second E320 and never regretted the purchase of either. Happy driving in '05.
  • vicvvicv Member Posts: 41
    Hi cmosian,

I understand that it's hard to avoid with wide tires, but can be minimized. Most folks say rotation is the answer, but in my experience that only spreads the scalloping to all four tires. I recently put new tires on my C5 Corvette (which had really bad scalloping on the inside of the front tires) and had it aligned by someone I could talk with. Since I don't flog it much, I don't need all the negative camber up front, so we took most of it out. Your problem is the outer shoulders which could be too much positive camber and/or excessive toe-in. I would suggest you contact an aftermarket Corvette or other specialty car garage (NOT a Chevy or OEM dealer!!!) and get a referral for a place that can set up your MB to your driving habits and check out existing tire wear. A good alignment person will drive your car and talk with you before even putting your car on the rack. We replaced a Catera that ate through tires at an alarming rate with an 04 E320. I've been watching the tires closely and, just to be safe, have been rotating them @ 5k mile intervals as well. And I should heed my own advice and take it in for alignment before a tire problem develops. Good luck.

Vic
    I too am on my second E320. My first had 37K miles and I kept it to 140K. At 115K I spent a little over $3,000 on a head gasket, water pump, shocks, rotors, pads, and serpentine belt. Then it ran like new until I got too nervous at 140K. My "new" one is a 2001 and it had 38K miles. I bought an extra year of Starmark to make sure I get to the 100K miles with coverage. My first one (a 96) had Starmark also until the 100K miles; and I needed it at 75K for new suspension bushings on all suspension parts. Would have cost me $1100 w/o the Starmark. It's tough to beat buying a Starmarked MB w/less than 40K and trading at 99K. You only have to cover normal maintenance, like brakes, shocks, and tires. They pay for almost everything else.
    Speaking of tire wear..... mine are fine but I noticed that I had some pulling to the right for a while. Since I only have 28,000 miles on the car I just dealt with it because I don't drive it much.

So, last week I decided to get an alignment; I had "slightly" side-swiped a curb thinking that's what might have caused the misalignment. Well, under further examination and maximum adjustment on the machine, I needed two bolts per front wheel to maximize adjustment.

The fellow that I have been going to for 20 years for tires, etc., said that all cars have space for the bolts but no car maker includes them. The bolts allow for additional adjustment to the wheel. My front drivers side wheel was ever-so-slightly angled out at the bottom which cause my car to pull right. Once the bolts were installed and adjusted, it goes straight down the road. The bolts were about $15.00 each.

Mark
  • footiefootie Member Posts: 636
    Just remember that the C is smaller than a Toyota Corolla.

Not a lot of space or reliability for the money, but hey it's a great advertising billboard for Mercedes.

IMHO:

Just remember, it's how you like the way it drives, how you feel each day, how confident you are in it's ability to deliver you to your destination that matters.

"Status is NOT in the eye of the beholder, it's in the mind of the buyer".

Owning a Benz is a lot like being in the clutches of the Soviet Union from 1945 to 1989. You feel like you are really top dog, what with your investments in your military and resulting swagger. Unfortunately, you are being laughed at by most of the rest of the world because your approach to the market is dated and your product is flakey.
  • dkatldkatl Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 E320 with the standard issue 16" wheels and tires that need replacing. It's the natural time to upgrade the wheels. I don't care about appearance, just handling. I'd like quicker and more positive steering response, less body lean in turning. Will 17" wheels make a noticeable difference?
This discussion has been closed.