Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedans

Comments

• aeggroupaeggroup Member Posts: 133
    Hi.
    I used to have BMW 5 series before my Jag S-type and it was the best car I've ever had in my life until I got E350. And I'm talking about old 5 series, not the current one. I started to hate BMW new look as soon as it appeared on a market, but my wife almost convinced me to take this car and I even went to the dealership and my already little desire to get this car disappeared as soon as I got inside of it. I think some competitor got a spy to BMW to destroy the legend of old model completely. This car interior reminds me something which cost 15K, so the case was closed :))
    I went to annual Lexus taste event and had a chance to drive GS300AWD, M35AWD and E-class.
    Lexus is very nice inside, but it still does not hold the road like Mercedes. I have MB already 3 days and every time I drive it - I like it more and more. MB problems ? hmm..you know...after I had Jaguar, which is famous for all kind of problems and I actually did not have any, I don't care what people say. If it brakes - I got SOS button and loaner car.
  • rockypaulrockypaul Member Posts: 104
    It appears that my dream sleeper E-550 4-Matic Wagon will not be produced; nor will a BlueTec be offered in that config.
    Damn shame.
  • esfesf Member Posts: 1,020
    The cars that drive most like the 5 Series are the A6 and M35X.

The A6's interior is one of the industry's best, so I'd recommend it over the M35- and not just because I am an Audi fan, either.

If you buy the Infiniti, please get the Sport Package! It looks fabulous. Same thing with the A6 and S-Line.

I'm looking at the E350 4Matic for my wife, if you'd really like to know. She's not a fast driver, and the E is more of a luxury sedan than a sport sedan. However, if we get the E (the updated 2007 model), we will be getting the DC Airmatic suspension and the Sport model.
    Have the electronic brakes been improved on the latest E models (2006)or are they still trouble prone and being recalled?

Merc: you mentioned new steering for the '07 E as well as hydraulic brakes.

Was the steering problematic like the brakes?

I ask because I'm considering an "06 E-500 Wagon this week.
  • aeggroupaeggroup Member Posts: 133
    I have my 06 4matic for 3 weeks already. I have no problems with brakes and steering.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    when the new '07's are due in?
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Was the steering problematic like the brakes?

The changes to the steering were to make it more direct, sportier, nothing problematic.

M
    First week of July.

M
    But, are the '06 E-class brakes better than prior years or put another way have the bugs been worked out?

Thanks, again.
    As far as I know they have been. You can check out MBworld.org in the E-Class section and see. There doesn't seem to be any complaints about the brakes anymore and people are buying leftover 06' E's left and right.

M
  • edspider1edspider1 Member Posts: 195
    I my 06 is 2 months old and I was concerned about all the hoopla about the brakes. I have no complaints. I think they're perfect.
  • pvellozopvellozo Member Posts: 19
    i got a battery-alternator failure light on my 2002 e320 at 43000 miles. the problem was that the "poly belt' which runs the alternator, power steering etc had broken. the belt was replaced and it runs fine now. i was wondering if there might be some underlying problem with the car that caused the belt to fail so soon. any ideas? anyone with a similar problem? thanks
    Dear Merc1,

Your help was very much appreciated.
    Here's how it went down:

Plenty of '06 E-500 wagons on the M-B locator as well as other E's;

deal began with a $6600 discount off list and a good trade offer of $20000 on my BMW;

decided to not take a full year's depreciation hit combined with the out-the-door depreciation;

bad financially if I trade for the '09 or'10 model;

Ordered an '07 E-350 4-Matic Wagon with premium pkg at 3.5% off MSRP sticker and $22k for my '02 BMW 330XI.

Don't know the exact base price. But,since many things are now included in the base the premium pkg was all I needed to get the Nav system. I did have premium pkg price of around $2200, much less than in the past.

Very happy and of course can't wait.
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    E-class topic because of the level of activity, as the SL topic is almost dead...

I am trying to find a website, and I believ one exists, that lists all Mercedes models back for almost 25 years, where they listed each model, and tha various exterior/interior colors it was available, along with the engines and various major option packages...

I am trying to determine the colors available for 1996-1998 SL500, and any site for the Eclass will also list the SL class, too...

Thanks for any help...
    Well it sounds like you got exactly what you wanted, congrats and thanks. I see the 07's E's are how now, especially the E350s, with E550s going on sale 7/24.

M
    Hmmmm...that is a good one. Let me see. MBUSA has the past 16 years, but I'll look to see what else is out there.

For the 1996-1997 SL500 look here. For 1999 MB switched V8s for the SL500. They went from a 5.0L DOHC design to a 5.0L SOHC design with slightly less power and torque. The R129's SL first facelift came in 1996, which is why I guess you picked that year to start? The R129 got another facelift for 1999 also, with both facelifts it was mainly interior and exterior trim changes along with some updated features.

M
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    I checked the mbusa site, and they only go back to 2000...unless I absolutely missed something, the CPO program, listing past years, stops at 2000...what did I miss???
    Oh well the CPO program will only go back 7 model years so 2000 is the cutoff. Now they do have a 16 year model overview for general information.

See Here

M
  • pearlpearl Member Posts: 336
    If so, how do you like it?
  • esfesf Member Posts: 1,020
    Odd... I had a 2000 A6 2.7T, and didn't face a single problem, except for the headlight washer caps coming off!

I guess I'm just lucky...

The E350 4Matic I'm looking to buy for my wife is a similar proposition: sporty, luxurious, adequately quick, packed with features and stylish. However, we're not getting it until January.

The options I'm considering (it's the '07 model on the MBusa website right now):
    Premium Package II
    Panoramic Sunroof
    Sport Package (which is oddly free of charge)
    Fold-down rear seats
    Built-in Bluetooth phone system with Voice Control
    Wood/Leather Steering Wheel
    Electronic Trunk Closer

And the total: $63,575

I'd be haggling... ;)

'06 Audi A3 2.0T DSG • '05 Audi S4 Cabriolet • '04 Lexus RX 330 (soon to be replaced)
  • sfcharliesfcharlie Member Posts: 402
    We can move this over to appropriate forum, but saw that you have been driving '06 Audi A3 2.0T DSG. My daughter is looking at that and worries about some reports on Edmunds forums (that I've read) about DSG starting-from-stop and at low speeds. Can you say something about your experience. Would you now go for 3.2 quatrro A3 for 2007? Thanks for any feedback.
    "The cars that drive most like the 5 Series are the A6 and M35X.

Why the M35X and not the regular M35, or maybe you weren't emphasizing the X model, since you recommend the Sport Package.

I'm looking at the E350 4Matic for my wife, if you'd really like to know. She's not a fast driver, and the E is more of a luxury sedan than a sport sedan. However, if we get the E (the updated 2007 model), we will be getting the DC Airmatic suspension and the Sport model.

Interesting synchronicity. My wife and I visited local MB dealer this morning. They had no literature on 2007s. The young salesman was very pleasant and went to look at inventory. Returned with a sales manager who was being extremely all-business serious: "We have one 2007 E350 sport model on its way this week for Executive Lease. You could see it while it's here. The 350s are few and far between."

How do the Infiniti, Audi and MB "sport" lines differ/overalp in what they add to base model?
    Motor Trend (August, 2006) explained it this way, when describing changes for 2007 in the E-Class: "most noteworthy is the love from brake-by-wire to a hydraulic adaptive braking system borrowed from the S-Class. This simpler system provides most of the same benefits (hill-holding, rain-drying, etc.) at much lower cost. And in response to enthusiast's entreaties fro more road feel, the steering ratio is tightened up about 10 percent and the power assist curve is reshaped."
    That's most noteworthy is the MOVE (not,"love", although that might be love to an MB engineer) from brake-by-wire to a hydraulic adaptive braking system borrowed from the S-Class. This simpler system provides most of the same benefits (hill-holding, rain-drying, etc.) at much lower cost. And in response to enthusiast's entreaties for more road feel, the steering ratio is tightened up about 10 percent and the power assist curve is reshaped.
  • toddbinflatoddbinfla Member Posts: 27
    My wife just had and accident with our current car, she was hit and I think the car will be totalled by the insurance company. We are looking into buying a 1999 or 2000 E320. Is there enough of a difference or improvement to make the 2000 worth the extra 2 to 3k retail that I am seeing on autotrader? Also is there anywhere I can get .pdf's of old sale material regarding these years?
  • greasykid1greasykid1 Member Posts: 336
    Get the 2000
  • bgk99bgk99 Member Posts: 24
    Looking to buy the e-350 with Navi.

Don't see many lease quotes here or in the lease thread. I also see that dealers are getting 5K back.

Someone mentioned they were getting this car at $599 per month. I find that impossible. Is it?

Any help would be appreciated
    Looking to buy the e-350 with Navi.

Don't see many lease quotes here or in the lease thread. I also see that dealers are getting 5K back.

Someone mentioned they were getting this car at $599 per month. I find that impossible. Is it?

I believe this is for the '06's.
  • kidswainkidswain Member Posts: 7
    I have viewed the photos on Edmunds of the 2007 E (550) class interior. I noticed that there is a small video screen extending from the console to the back seat. Is this part of the Navigation package? can it be used for DVD's for backseat passengers?
  • bgk99bgk99 Member Posts: 24
    This was e-mailed to me and I confirmed them when I went in to the dealership in Santa Monica, CA this evening.

Also, the dealer "claims" that the 5,000 cash dealer incentive is only for the R-350/500 and that 3,000 applies to the ML - no cash back on the 2007.

Residuals for the 2007 E-350

24-27 months

7,500 = 75%
    10k = 74%
    12k = 73%
    15k = 71%
    20k = 60%

36-39 months

7,500 = 63%
    10k = 61%
    12k = 60%
    15k = 58%
    20k = 53%

Money Factors

24-27 = .00245 (5.88)
    36-39 = .00210 (5.04)
  • bobermanboberman Member Posts: 1
    I currently have a 99 E320 and am looking at buying an 07 E350. I live in the NE so I thought i'd get 4matic this time but when i test drove it it appeared to have a stiffer, less compliant ride. since we have snow a couple of months but potholes 12 months i'm not sure it's the right choice.

Does anyone else think the 4matic ride quality is noticeably worse (that is firmer, stiffer) than the 2wd version?
  • bsedrishbsedrish Member Posts: 26
    I have an E350 and was thinking about having certain accessories installed such as park distance control and may a few others. Does anyone know of custom shops that do this work?

I do not know where to look to find reputable shops to do this work (and sell me the parts). Thanks
  • corim3corim3 Member Posts: 3
    i have a 2001 e 430, love the car but hate the single wiper, any recommendations for new blade/arm setup that will reduce smearing and streaking and will overall improve the MB seeing thru the windshield experience? thanks for your help roger
    .....any recommendations for new blade/arm setup that will reduce smearing and streaking and will overall improve the MB seeing thru the windshield experience?.......

I had good luck while living in Fl. with Rain X.
    Recently went from a 2001 E320 to 2005 E320CDI. Wish I had my old wiper system on the CDI.

The reason the single wiper is no longer available is COST. MB was only user of monowiper. New system is basic Bosche.

Get a new blade and use Rainex. Worked great!
  • microrepairmicrorepair Member Posts: 508
    Get the 2001 if you can swing it.. It's the second year of the massive changes they made for 2000 and should be more reliable. Mine has been excellent and I'm at 80K miles now.
  • microrepairmicrorepair Member Posts: 508
    I'll second the Rain-X; works great and at 40-60 mph I don't even have to use the wipers for a moderate rainfall. The water "runs" up the windshield and over the roof as soon as it hits the Rain-X.. I also have switched to a standard 24" Anco/Trico blade and I think the 1 inch shorter blade puts a little more pressure on the wiping edge making it work a little better. And it's LOTS cheaper than the MB wiper and one inch less makes no difference in the view.
  • joeshanjoeshan Member Posts: 70
    .02: I've been using Rain-X for years on all of my windows, mirrors and headlight covers and I love the way the water just beads off. However, I do notice wiper chatter when the wipers are on in rain that is too heavy to use the wipers on the intermittent setting.
  • ghevenerghevener Member Posts: 1
    I've had to replace four sun visors in the 2001 E 430 I bought new. Cheap plastic and bad design. The flip up lids break off/fall out. Mercedes rep. has no solution, no upgrade.

have a failed bulb warning lamp. Replacing number 6 fuse in the dash fuse box just blows another fuse. Mechanic has spent two hours searching for the short, no luck.

Just installed new harmonic balancer at 60k miles.

So now I am running this beautiful car with a warning light on all the time and both sun visor lids off which defeats the make-up mirror lights. Oklahoma here I come.

I think it is time to bail out even though the car runs and rides great.
  • wmheinwmhein Member Posts: 1
    I have a 97 E-320. I have had intermittent problems with my radio trying to go silent and switch to telephone (even though installed phone is not activated). This usually happens when the temperature outside is very hot (I live in Oklahoma). Last week, my AC fan quit even though the control panel seems to be working properly (showing the fan speed).

Oh yes, occasionaly, my remote door locks don't operate properly. They will work mostly, but for a period of time won't.

Anybody have any idea what is going on here?
  • jmoore6jmoore6 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2007 Mercedes E 350 and paid for an extra coat of Simonize Clear coat protection ($399). It is supposed to be a warranty against bird dropping and tree sap penetrating the paint surface. Was this really necessary? I also purchase a diamond surface coating for the front window to protect against chips and scratches. Was this also necessary?
  • pearlpearl Member Posts: 336
    dealers frequently offer these "protection packages" for one reason only: to make more money. I think it was CR who evaluated them some years ago and concluded that they were mostly a waste of money - however, since you already bought them, smile, since you at least have a nicely polished car!
  • circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    Try wiping the rubber on each blade with windex until no black shows up on the cloth/paper towels.

Little know trick that you will like!

Regards,
    OW
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    A reporter with a national newspaper is hoping to talk with consumers who have received or are giving a luxury car as a gift for Christmas. Please reply to [email protected] no later than Friday, December 8, 2006 with your daytime contact info.

Thanks,

Chintan Talati
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds Inc.
  • swimmomswimmom Member Posts: 23
    The factory warrenty on my 03 e class is about to expire. Any thoughts on the purchase of a $3000 3 year extendedwarrenty (not a MB warrenty)?
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,674
    Yes:

1. Self insure (invest the $3k conservatively e.g. Money Market or short term CDs for availability). That way, you get to keep your money, it grows a bit and can be used as you see fit.

2. If you do buy the non-MB warranty, review it with a fine tooth comb! Is the company reputable, how long in business? What EXACTLY does it cover/not cover...

Good luck, tough decision. If something does go wrong with the E, it will probably be expensive to repair. But, that is IF something goes wrong, which is why I like option 1...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Self insure...

I concur 100%.

I was foolish enough to buy an extended warranty on a car in 1988 and managed to recover about 10% of the cost in warranty work. That said, once the warranty had expired due to excess mileage, I had several failures that I needed to cover out of pocket. Double whammy.

Since then I've self insured. To date, I've NOT spent some $15,000 and change on extended warranties, and in spite of the fact that I habitually buy cars that rank low on the various reliability scales; I've only spent about $3,200 in unscheduled repairs for a savings of about $12,000. Even that number is a bit misleading as one of the repairs that I paid for earlier this year was for a $2,600 transmission for a car with 109,000 miles on the clock. So, had I opted for the extended warranty policy on that car the transmission wouldn't have been covered as said policy only went to 70,000 miles.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,674
    I've always self-insured. Even on a first model year Chrysler (300M)! Won that bet, nice car, reliable, so-so build quality, a winner for me. I was just a fool for a pretty face!

I usually hedge my bets by buying Japaneese, though... Maybe next car will have a distinctly European accent, Ja?

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    "I usually hedge my bets by buying Japaneese, though... Maybe next car will have a distinctly European accent, Ja?"

Not that I'm a poster child for the "Buy American" crowd, but I'd much rather have an American car than a Japanese one. Why? Simple, the single worst car that I've had in my driving life was from Japan. I had to dump it and take a significant loss on it after only 18 months (even though it was under warranty, the two dealerships that I took it to refused to repair its many problems). My personal perspective is that the Japanese cars are probably pretty good, but geez, if you happen to get a bad one, good luck getting it fixed properly.

The flip side to all of this is that our cars with "unreliable" reputations have been extremely reliable. Consider the following:

2 - Audis. One lost its second gear syncro after 1,800 miles and never had another problem, the other never had a problem.
    3 - BMWs. One had a burned out taillight (replaced under warranty), the other was problem free.
    2 - Chryslers. One lost its alternator (found a pile of molten aluminum under the car where I parked it) and fuel pump; both replaced under warranty and never had another problem. The other never had a problem.
    3 - Dodges. One lost a transmission and a starter, both at mileage points well over 100,000 miles. Another lost an ABS wheel sensor at 75,000 miles. The third never had a problem.
    2 - VWs. One lost its instrument cluster and a window regulator; both replaced under warranty and never had another problem. The other lost both of its front struts at the same time at about 85,000 miles.

Given what I know about your tastes, I'm going to go out on a limb here and predict that you're going to be attracted to and at least seriously consider something like a 2008 535i or an E550. Yes, no? ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    After much research bought a warranty for my E320CDI through AAA. Best deal by far and I believe that AAA is here to stay. If you are an AAA member check it out and let me know what you think.
This discussion has been closed.