Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic 2005 and earlier

Comments

• plumekussplumekuss Member Posts: 18
    Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the advice given. This is really a terrific source for very valuable info. I plan to change the oil in my vehicle next spring/summer. Thanks again!
  • carguy62carguy62 Member Posts: 545
    If I followed along you bought the car in 7/01 and you don't plan to change the oil until spring/summer of '02. Even with the low miles I don't think I'd wait that long....but that's just me. I don't put a lot of miles on either but I make sure to change at least twice a year. $14.95 or whatever is fairly cheap in the grand scheme of things.
  • claywaterfillclaywaterfill Member Posts: 534
    Waiting about a year to change your oil? Oil changes are too cheap to wait that long. I would do it next month-but that's just me!
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    That's good advice from carguy and claywaterfill. Plumekuss should get on a 6 month cycle. Also I would get it changed at the dealership. Just so you can build a repoir with them. You never know when having a good relation with the service manager will help you. It's not going to caost more than $25 for each oil change. Heck plumekuss may have ot only spend $100 in two years before her first real service maintenance at 7500 miles.
  • twistinmelontwistinmelon Member Posts: 90
    http://adventure.honda.com

When I get the Civic up to 60 or so, the back end breaks out at every corner and I whack a building.

Must be using the cheap Firestones on the game, too.

twist

• breckcobreckco Member Posts: 62
    Just a reminder, Honda recommends NOT changing the oil in 01 (02 probably the same) Civics for at least 5k. I've asked several dealers as well as calling customer relations to confirm. I was told that Honda adds a "break-in" lubricant that needs to stay in the engine. It's frustrating as I always changed the oil in a new car at 1 or 2 thousand miles and every 3/3000 after that. I never had a new car that burned any oil or had a mechanical failure but I'm waiting until 5k.
  • devoredevore Member Posts: 39
    I agree with dtownfb - especially for a new car, get your oil changed at the dealer. I'm sure many people have nice experiences going to quick oil-change outfits like Jiffy Lube or whatever, but I've sowrn those places off. You get what you pay for.

The last time I went to Jiffy Lube, they started to put the wrong type of oil in and I wouldn't have known the difference if I hadn't been watching. Then, when their worker was pulling my car out of the stall into the parking lot, he started the car, pressed on the gas, and never took off the emergency brake. He revved my engine up and the car didn't move well, so he threw it into park, revved the engine again, then noticed that the parking brake was on. He then let the parking brake out, and revved the engine again, only to realize that it was still in park - he then popped it into drive without letting the engine come back down to idle and wound up basically laying a nice peel in the garage, almost hitting the garage door on the way out.

These guys aren't "experts." They're 16 year olds working a part time job changing oil. That's fine, and for an older car I might take it there, but there's no way I'm letting a bunch of 16 year olds work on a new car I just paid $17K for.

No offense to 16 year olds, of course - if I was in their shoes (and I once was, obviously) then I'd probably be the same way. You only get SO much skill for $14.95.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    After my terrible experience with a quick lube palce, I will NEVER trust those people again. I bought a 91 Nissan Stanza almost a year ago and took it in to have the oil changed the same day I bought it. It was against my better judgement but the filter was on the back of the engine and was hard to get at so I figured I would save the hassle. Well, I had it done and then happily took my car on the highway for the first time. When I got off the highway, my engine was making a terribly loud valve tapping noise. I thought I bought a lemon!! It sounded awful and I was fuming. I checked the oil and it seemed to be fine. Well, I got the car home and let it sit for awhile. I rechecked the oil again and found out the oil place had overfilled the engine by a whole quart! I redrained the extra quart and too my amazement the engine quieted back down. It did permanently harm one of the hydraulic lifters and caused an oil burning problem for 6k miles (burned a quart every 500 miles or so). It nearly ruined the entire engine! Needless to say, I notified the owner of the place and most likely got the manage fired (he called me and cussed me out for calling him at a number his own workers gave me). Moral of story: Make sure you double check your oil level if you must take it to these quick lube places.
  • carczarcarczar Member Posts: 23
    How much does your local Honda dealer charge for the 30k mile service in your area for your Civic? The dealers in the Chicago/Milwaukee area charge anywhere between $350 to $400. That's uncomfortably close to BMW territory ($484 at a local dealer for a 3-series). Coolant flush & fill isn't even included. Do you think the 30k service is necessary even if it's clearly overpriced? Especially if the car's been trouble free? Preventive maintenance for an "economy" car should run half what they are charging, IMHO.
  • gangelogangelo Member Posts: 2
    I am in the market for a 2002 Civic. While shopping, I noticed that some of the cars were assembled in Japan and others in North America. Given the choice, is one better than the other?
    Big can of worms. Several topics about it in the maintenance and repair section (look for quality assurance in the title). Speaking for myself, if I had the choice between a Honda built in Japan or elsewhere, the choice would be pretty easy.
  • mdrivermdriver Member Posts: 385
    There's no measurable difference.
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    Did you ask the service manager how much the 30k service was? Or did you hask how much would it be to do the oil hange, change the transmission fliud, etc??? You shoud do the latter. Never go to a mechanic and ask how much for th e "___" (fill in the blank) service. It may include things you don't need done to your vehicle.

Best thing to do is look in the manual (a novel idea) and see what is required for the 30k service. Then call the service department and ask them how much it costs to do the following items. For example, I change my own air filter. The garage will charge you for the filter plus half hour of labor. And my oil changes tend not to fall on the required service interval. So some times I may not need to have the oil change.

Follow what is in the manual.
  • civic_cx_92civic_cx_92 Member Posts: 87
    C&D 10 best was in this thread some time ago, just found this on the europeanhonda web site.

Honda is the winningest make with 3 models on the list including the Accord, 16 times winner in 20 year.

As reported earlier, the new Honda Fit won the 2001 Car of the year (COTY) award in Japan, making it 2 in a row for Honda after winning the COTY last year with the Civic series.

http://www.europeanhonda.demon.nl/hondanews13.htm#c&d
  • gasguzzgasguzz Member Posts: 214
    Even at "severe" use the coolant is rated for 45k miles. You needn't use "genuine Honda fluid", as it is merely industry-standard green coolant. Now, that doesn't mean you can use 7-elev coolant (Texaco/Prestone is fine). The manual doesn't call for a flush either, just drain and refill (especially on an engine that has no cooling problems). Mix 50/50 and use a coolant tester (for some $4) to verify. Important - make sure you check the reservoir level after driving few miles at normal temp, the engine will probably tap into that reserve. For $5/gal, I change mine every 2 years. While the coolant may be stable and show balance at the freezing/boiling point, lubricity does breaks down from heat.
    Good luck.
  • osum02osum02 Member Posts: 29
    I personally have compared a Japan assembled Civic's to North American assembled Civic's and I have found absolutely no difference whatsoever. The vast majority of Civic's are made in either Alliston, Ontario, Canada or East Liberty, Ohio. Only about 3% of Civic's are imported from Japan. Honda's been making most Civic's in North American since the mid to late 1980's and since then Consumer Reports and other trade magazines have given the Civic excellent ratings in DQR (dependability, quality, reliability). In fact, if there have been any problems, it's been with parts from Japan or cars assembled in Japan. Awhile back I spoke with the service department manager of a Honda dealership in Olympia, WA who used to work in the Marysville, Ohio and he stated that all 3 plants in Canada, the U.S., and Japan are within tenths of each other as far as workmanship goes. In other words, it does not matter where a Honda product if manufactured
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Still, there others who frequent these forums who have a different opinion...
  • stragerstrager Member Posts: 308
    Check out the discussion in the Station Wagons board. It doesn't look like a wagon, but the Civic 5 door is the dominant body style sold in Europe and Japan. Maybe we'll see it here in the Fall of 2002, to compete with the Protege 5 and the Toyota Matrix.
    I would not be surprised to see it if the P5, Matrix, and Focus ZX5 do real well.
  • apdouglaapdougla Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone installed Honda's in-dash 6 CD Changer in a 2002 Civic? The installation instructions were not clear on how to remove the 12v accessory part of the console prior to removing the main area of the console.

Thanks, Andy.
  • dave210dave210 Member Posts: 242
    Does it hurt the car or parking brake when I shift my automatic into drive or reverse (with foot still on the pedal brake) and THEN disengage the parking brake? Sometimes I forget it's on, and I'm already in drive or reverse when I release the parking brake. Mind you, my foot is always still on the pedal brake when I do this. Just want to make sure I'm not hurting the car. Thanks!
  • dudkadudka Member Posts: 451
    no it won;t hurt the parking brake as long as you don't drive away with the parking brake on.
  • bigkahunaflbigkahunafl Member Posts: 128
    Actually dave210, you are doing the correct thing. As long as your foot is on the brake when you shift into drive or reverse before releasing the parking brake, you are preventing excess wear and tear.
    When parking, you should put your foot on the brake, engage the parking break, shift into park, then release the brake. This prevents the transmission from taking the pressure of holding the weight of the car on an incline.
  • apdouglaapdougla Member Posts: 3
    I was able to figure out how to install the in-dash Honda CD Changer. I took pictures of the job. For anyone who is interested, go to the following link:

http://members.home.net/apdougla/cd_changer/cd_changer.html

The link will change when Cox assumes the @Home server. I will re-post when this occurs.

P.S. We purchased the CD Changer at http://www.handa-accessories.com and were very pleased with their service, etc.
  • jsaintjsaint Member Posts: 1
    I just recently bought a 2002 civic coupe LX. I had a spoiler put on but now the mount brake light on the back window doesn't work. Is the spoiler light supposed to compensate for this?
    After spending over 19,000 thousand for a new car I would expect every dang light on the car to work...

Does anybody know the answer?? sincerely jsaint
    I do believe the light in the spoiler replaces the light on the rear dash. They probably have to use the wire from it to power the light in the spoiler. I have a question, though. Is that $19k the amount you financed with a roll over from your last car? Looking at LX coupes myself, I have been quoted around $14,300 for it with an out-the-door cost of $15,500. Adding stuff like a CD player and mats will still keep it around $16,000. I am looking at 5-speeds, though--so an automatic will add $800. Just wondering.
    Am I the only one who thinks it's strange that a CD player is not standard on the LX trim level? I find it strange that a $15,000 car can come with air, cruise and power windows/locks/mirrors--but cassette. Even the DX with no cassette is strange as well. I wonder if they may add CD standard for 2003? They changed the suspension from 2001 to 2002, so maybe a radio upgrade for 2003 may not be too much to ask?
  • soberssobers Member Posts: 496
    if it has to be one to keep prices low. You can put a car kit with a disc man to play your cds. Better yet, you can burn a MP3 Cd with 150 songs & get an MP3 player with a car kit. No need to have 6 disc changer etc...... All these Car kits work through magnetic cassete which makes cassete player a better option to have on a car.
    you're looking for. You will lose frequency response through the adapter, which may be the whole point on why we play CDs.
    I'm all for keeping prices down, but how much extra could it possibly cost to sell with CD standard? Especially at their selling price? Maybe $100? I just think if Protege, Sentra, Lancer, etc can come with CD for less money than Civic, a Civic LX could benefit from standard CD.
    We're talking corporate Honda bean counters here.
    If you get the 15" wheels at the DX/LX then you won't spring for the EX. If you get the standard CD, then you might not jump for the cd changer. Marketing ala Honda. People will buy Civics based on the H badge alone. They pull you in just enough but won't give you all, that's extra.
    We're talking about an entry level car (at least in Honda's US line). Yes the bar for standard equipment has been raised by some of the other manufacturers listed and if a standard CD player is that important, go with one of them. Heck I remember when they didn't even come with a radio.
    Is not THAT important. It's just frustrating to know you've spent almost 2 grand more than you could have bought a Sentra GXE for--and you still have to upgrade the stereo. It just seems like an inexpensive way Honda could make the Civic LX look more attractive at its price point.
  • dabimmerdabimmer Member Posts: 165
    After 3 months of ownership I have to report that I am completely happy with the 4 dr EX.
    It drives very well, handles great, rides well. Looks good with its alloy wheels and Ruby Red color.
    What more could I want, sure the Sentra and Elantra offer more for less money but when it come
    right down to putting your hard earned money on the table, what is ultimately better than a Honda?
  • geneseedepotgeneseedepot Member Posts: 30
    Take the firm, sporty suspension of a honda, add some hard-riding, semi-performance tires (D60A2's) and add a pothole-ridden daily commute - is this the recipe for exhaust failure? I had the B-pipe replaced about 2 years ago after a total failure - whole exhaust dropped at the front of the b-pipe. Last year the weld between the pipe and the muffler body failed requiring a new muffler.

I realize the exhaust system (especially in northern states using road salt) will not last the life of the car, but I've never seen a 3/4 year old car need a new exhaust. Is it possible that the harsh suspension is shaking my exhaust system to an early grave?

BTW, is it safe to remove heat shields from the exhaust? I've had one adjusted numerous times but it continues to work itself loose.
  • silver_bulletsilver_bullet Member Posts: 1,339
    People will defend Honda to the death, no matter what its failings are. I've owned one or two Hondas, and lots of other cars as well - the Hondas were okay, but nothing special... overpriced for what you get, with very high parts prices, but a wonderful reputation that makes most people jump onto the bandwagon. Buy what makes you feel good, but remember that Honda has to monitor costs like every company to turn a profit. If they can cut a corner, they will. On older Civics, Honda used to specify flimsier cloth for the back seats, on the theory that few people would sit there and wear them out... saved a few pennies, I'm sure.
    What exactly is your point? You seem to be saying Honda has "failings" because it tries to maximize profits. I think most people are aware that Honda is a business and all businesses try to maximize profit. No one forces anyone to buy any vehicle. If a CD player on a $14K Hyundai makes their heart flutter, more power to them.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    And you too can share in the terrible corporate profits!
  • seminole_kevseminole_kev Member Posts: 1,696
    you guys are a bit unreal. His point wasn't that Honda was a big, bad corporation. Just that it is still a business and not some mythical organization that produces cars to make people happy. If you re-read his post, he wasn't even dogging Honda. Just pointing out that they exist to make a profit just like the other guys. Little sensitive overhere.
  • mdrivermdriver Member Posts: 385
    I've had the EX 5sp for several months with the following problems:

Shifter sticks in first and clunks into second when cold.

Dash creaks like a car with 200K on it also when cold.

Power windows make interior door panels move in and out. I thought this problem was solved years ago. Previous Civic didn't do this.

Silver paint trim flaking off by power window buttons.

Stereo reception only for the strongest stations. All other stations (which used to come in stereo on previous Civic) are in mono.

Floor mat worn out after 4k miles

Doors have to be slammed to close properly.

Ride quality that is 3rd world. Are there any shocks in the back of this thing? A firm ride that floats over every minor dip - the worst of both worlds.

In summary, this car is a poor excuse for Honda. Honda still builds excellent engines, but the rest of the Civic is marginal at best. Throw in an "average reliability" rating from Consumer Reports, no rebates and it's amazing this car is a best seller. Well, no it's not amazing, the Cavalier used to be a best seller - I rest my case.
  • silver_bulletsilver_bullet Member Posts: 1,339
    Thanks, Seminole_kev, for understanding my post. I'm not bashing the company for wanting to make a buck -- I'm thinking of all the "ditto-head" owners (and dealers) who seem to be blind to the fact that Honda doesn't have a lock on the economy car business. Cutting corners is the key to survival at the lower price points, but the real trick is knowing which ones to cut ;-)
  • tlindemantlindeman Member Posts: 16
    I'm with you mdriver...my 2001 Civic LX Sedan has been a major disappointment. At 13,500 miles I have had to have wheel bearings and a tie rod replaced, a/c condenser replaced (the car wouldn't cool...I understand the original condensers were inadequate and have been upgraded) and the driver's window switch replaced. All repairs have been done by my dealer who, true to reputation maintain a "there can't possibly be anything wrong 'cause it's a Honda" attitude. Although the engine and drivetrain (5 spd.) have been fine and the mileage is good Honda really dropped the ball on this car and despite all the unprecedented second year "improvements", the complaints seem to be continuing for the 2002 models. Tell me if you've noticed any of the following:

1. bouncy, bottomy rear suspension...
    2. front suspension clunks over bumps at low speeds
    3. rattles...dash, passenger B pillar area and REAR DECK
    4. Glued door upholstery is bubbling in places...and getting worse...only solution I'm told is to cut and reglue
    5. Heater duct on driver's side blows directly onto my right foot..floor setting seems slow to warm the car
    6. High road noise at highway speeds despite Honda's claim to "extensive" use of sound deadening materials...supposed to be quieter than previous models...how noisy were those?

This is my first new car since 1983. I did a lot of research and decided to go with "proven" Honda reliability and resale and wasn't concerned about the new design. What a mistake! I am going to keep this car 1 more year and buy a new Corolla.
  • britton2britton2 Member Posts: 305
    I used to drive a '86 Honda Civic DX Hatchback until last March when I bought a '01 Corolla LE - let me say that my old Honda was built rock-solid mechanically - the only problems I incurred in the 14 years and 7 months I owned the car was a freon leak, a very slow oil leak (which happened during the last year I had it) and at 13 years of age I had to get the radiator flushed out - the interior held up very well except for the driver's seat which split on the driver's door side and alot of the stuffing came out - I sold the car last March for $1,400 - it had a little over 109,000 miles on it - I did alot of reading/research before deciding on a '01 Corolla LE - it came down to either a '01 Honda Civic LX or a Corolla LE (I had a '80 Corolla hatchback before purchasing my Honda in '86) - at first it was a no-brainer - I wanted another Honda - but then I began test-driving several small cars and comparing the features and the Corolla came out on top for these reasons:

1. Rated #1 in quality - JD Powers survey
    2. Better powertrain warranty
    3. Did not have Firestone tires
    4. More horsepower than Honda
    5. Tighter turning radius
    6. I preferred the design/layout of the dashboard
    7. Has an outside temperature gauge
    8. Got a much better deal than Honda would give me

I am still a big fan of Honda - my old Civic served me very, very well - but I am extremely pleased with my new Corolla, after almost 10 months it has been flawless - no rattles or squeaks and the car's ride is smooth as silk -
    just my 2 cents!
  • cwliangcwliang Member Posts: 54
    I just recently purchased an '02 4-door EX auto. I have to say that I am a little surprised at how many rattles this new car has. I mean, it's not unbearable, but it IS brand-new. For me, the major culprit of the rattles is the plastic covering of the A-pillar on both the driver and passenger side, about 3/4th the way from the top. It sounds like it is coming from the front of the dashboard (where the dash meets the windshield). When I push around on the plastic molding, the rattle tends to go away, making me think that there is some less-than-high quality materials being used on some of the plastic trim. There is also an occasional buzzing coming from my seatbelt anchor (by the driver's ear), which for me only becomes apparent when I drive over potholes or large bumps.

Rattles aside, however, I've found the Civic to be a very nice drive. I chose it over the Protege for its stability, refinement, and noise at highway speeds, and over the Corolla, which I felt had very numb steering at all speeds (something my old '91 Camry had as well). My favorite part of the car is the steering feel, which to me is perfectly weighted -- light enough at slow speeds so that maneuvering is easy, but heavy enough at high speeds so that it doesn't feel twitchy. As for the handling, well, I'm a fairly conservative driver who only drives the car hard on lonely stretches of backroad... Compared with my other car, an '00 Accord, the Civic seems very light and throwable, with some body lean, but it is pretty willing to do whatever you ask of it. Sometimes I think it is a little less capable than the previous generation Civic, but I don't know if that's really what I think, or if it's the brainwashing of the whole strut-vs.-double wishbone debate. And it IS sometimes a jostling ride, especially on pothole-filled roads in the city, but I haven't experienced the floatiness that people have been bringing up. But the Accord is like that to a lesser extent, and I think a lot of the increased bounciness is because of the shortness of the car.

So it's not perfect, but to me it does have an interesting and unique driving feel, even if styling-wise it is one of the most indescript cars on the road. Overall, I'd have to say I'm happy with it, but I pretty much knew what to expect. (Except those rattles!)

One question: has anyone else had this happen? When I brake with constant light pressure on the pedal, sometimes the car will brake lightly at first, then 'catch' and suddenly slow down much faster (this all with constant pressure on the pedal). It's as if the brakes decide suddenly to clamp harder, or almost like the transmission is upshifting, but I don't see any change in the RPM meter. Any ideas?
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    Has anyone here tried out the new 02 Mitsu Lancer before buying the Civic? I think you would be pleasantly surprised by its refinement. I have 4k miles on my OZ Edition and not one rattle or creak. The suspension provides the smoothest most comfortable sporty ride out of all the economy cars. It drives like an Accord to be honest. No bottoming out or floatiness, but not so firm that it rattles you to death. No clunks or other such annoying sounds. The car is amazingly quiet on the highway too, no annoying droning engine or loud tires. You only hear some wind noise around the windshield. It doesn't get the good mileage of the Civic but I think it's power advantage is worth it. The engine is definitely smooth as it is one of the few with twin counterrotating balance shafts. The build quality of my Lancer was outstanding! No defects except a small unfinished paint spot on my rocker panel extension which was quickly and pleasantly taken care of by my dealer. I compared it recently to my friend's 00 Protege and 01 Sentra. I came away glad I bought the Lancer. It simply was a much more refined and nicer driving car. One note to those who mentioned the door panels flexing in and out when using the power windows: my Lancer does this too; I was at first surprised because I never noticed this before on older cars, but apparently it's quite common now. For those concerned about Mitsu's quality, I used to own a 93 Diamante which was reliable and mostly problem free when I sold it at 173k. I recently talked to the current owner who now has 184k and has had no problems. Everything was original on it, including the AC. My good experience with that car told me Mitsu can hold its own with Honda and Toyota.

Anyway, I just thought I would let those contemplating a Civic know that there are other cars out there that are better than the Civic in many areas. Don't buy one without comparing it to other cars and just trusting word of mouth and past reputation, because it is plain to me and by posts on this forum that this car is not at the top of the stack like it used to be. It's still a good car; it just doesn't excel in many areas. These many posts of suspension problems and rattles is quite disconcerting. I didn't expect much out of my 00 Hyundai Accent, but it turns out to have none of the problems everyone in here is complaining about after 21k miles. Honda should be ashamed of themselves! They are going to lose a lot of customers if they keep this up.
  • pogo11pogo11 Member Posts: 7
    Hello (and perhaps goodbye) to all! I’ve been pricing the ‘02 Civic (EX 4 door sedan, side airbags, auto trans) with a friend whose ‘87 200K mile Corolla seems to be on its last legs. I may be removed from these boards for asking this, but can we trust Edmunds TMV prices? My shopping comparison showed the TMV to be quite high.

To figure out the best price I tried going to Edmunds TMV, which quoted about 17300 + 8% tax and DMV fees ($1700) for a total of approx $19000 out the door. A visit to a local dealer got us a quote of 18600 out the door, everything included. Lastly I emailed several Honda dealers in the area and the best quote received was $18000 total, all charges included! This was about $1000 below the TMV price, and well below Edmunds invoice price........ does Edmunds receive funding from the automakers? I’ve heard people on other boards say they distrusted the TMV and thought it was high, and I now tend to believe them.

. Also have to say that after visiting a dozen various car dealerships in the last 2 months to buy my new pickup truck, and then going to the Honda dealership with my friend, I found the Honda salesmen the most obnoxious and agressive I’ve ever dealt with, they were extremely pushy and rude. Interesting to note that Carbuyingtips.com seems to bear this out, saying the website receives more complaints about Toyota and Honda dealers than any other...... The explanation given was that the Honda dealers know that they have a popular product and can afford to go on the offensive with customers. I'll try to be fair, though, perhaps I just got a bad apple, not representative of other Honda dealers.

Appreciate any thoughts on the subjects above, if the post survives.
    Chris
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Of course you can ask that question! :-)

However, I think you'll find folks more knowledgeable about the TMV over on our Smart Shopper Board. You might want to look through the active discussions over there while you are waiting for some response here.

As far as whether Edmund's receives funding from automakers, you might want to check out these resources: Editorial and Business Disclosure Statement and About Edmunds.com.

Let us know how things go for you.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • bostontbostont Member Posts: 37
    Pogo11, I too have found a much lower price than given by Edmonds. I'm buying a 2002 Civic EX Coupe with auto and side airbags for $18,311 out the door. The car is priced at $16,488 plus tax and license etc. Rather than being upset with the salespeople, I've been impressed. The price they offered at first was much closer to the TMV, but I let them know I wasn't interested and left. The next day she called me and offered to take the lower price. My car will be built on January 15th and I should have it before the end of January. They've been very quick to keep in touch about any questions I have and I feel confident I made a good deal. I might have done better going to the big city and haggling, but I hate to do that.
    Maybe you read a different post. What I read said "the Hondas were okay, but nothing special... overpriced for what you get, with very high parts prices".

Not exactly "dogging" to use your term, but a little too much of a generalization to be taken seriously, don't you think?
  • soberssobers Member Posts: 496
    It is national average of the prices being paid for the car (or regional avergae) The car deal is way too complex than TMV or any pricing guide can come close to if you have a trade-in. So if you are getting $250-$300 over invoice(Edmunds invoice) for Civic Lx/EX & additional $150 for floormat+gaurds it is a good deal. Can you do better...of course....every now & then somebody gets a better deal than others. Just make sure that you give you best shot with proper pre-purchase research(internet) Calls to nearby dealerships about their 'best' price & choose the dealer which treats you better even if you have to pay $50 more. A good dealership is imp to good ownership experience & is worth the extra $50-100 you would pay. Also respect the salesman's time the same way you want to be respected.

NOW: I saw a few long posts suggesting Lancer over Civic. If you know Detriot press has given Lancer the runners up for MOST DISAPPOINTING new enrty n the class award!! Read it on auto.com

Also let me know where you can get the amazing BALANCE that you get in Civic. Price to Content in LX trim (Keyless can be had for $150 installed), The mpg (32-37!!), Quality, Safety, Reliablity, Durability, Ride & Handling, Resale it shines in almost every category & can NOT be matched by ANY competitor OVERALL. Sales figures prove it! Civic did 334,000 sales WITHOUT special fianncing like 0% on Focus & Corolla. 2001 Civic had 3.9 for a month or two in the last month.