Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic 2005 and earlier

Comments

• dudkadudka Member Posts: 451
    all i know if i go from my stock 185/65-14 to 195/55-15 the circumference will be the same or go to 205/45-16. if you go throught the posts here on edmunds, someone posted a link to tire calculator last year, i just don`t have it on this computer.
    daytime running light module would probably come with instructions on how to connect, if it is from honda. or you can set up a simple relay and voltage reducer system that would turn high beams on at 60% once the engine is running. it would require some wire splicing though.
  • inkyinky Member Posts: 370
    Walmart carries Motorcraft 5w20 and Pep Boys carries 5w20 Penzoil. Honda makes some also, but check out oil topics in maintenance town hall for much discussion about the real reason Honda went to 5w20. I live in Tulsa and this is thin oil. Provides 1 mpg better but at addtional wear over 5 w30.
    INKY
  • carguy62carguy62 Member Posts: 545
    This site will show you exactly what you need: www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
  • civic_cx_92civic_cx_92 Member Posts: 87
    error in my calculations, I will delete my erroneous posts. :o(

also use:

http://robrobinette.com/tire_diameter.htm

• oldstuffoldstuff Member Posts: 14
    I purchased a 2001 Civic LX auto and have had many problems with the car. The gas guage is incredibly inaccurate, after only 100 miles, it reads half a tank and after 210 miles it read bone dry, then I pump 6.6 gallons into it to fill it up. The doors rattle and the dealer said they were out of adjustment and corrected, a new fuel sensor is ordered, I'll see if that helps, the dash makes many annoying noises from popping sounds when cold and normal driving rattles, they have not been able to isolate it. The trunk has clunked me and my wife in the head when we put the trunk up, and while loading luggage, it decides to come back down beaning you in the head. The one good point is it was getting 28 mpg when new but after about 2000 miles it started going up and is up to 32 mpg now. Also, it is a comfortable car and handles well. Its just that I'm starting to wonder if Honda's are now being built in Flint Michigan with the kind of shabby fit & finish that our union corn fed auto makers are well known for.
  • mdrivermdriver Member Posts: 385
    Yep, I think the general consensus is that the 01 Civic is at best, no better than the previous model. Like the Chrysler quote: If you don't lead, you better get out of the way (or something like that), I think Honda has learned a few tricks from GM - complacency
  • scooter62scooter62 Member Posts: 18
    Yes, there may be some issues with the Civic, but right now my '01 LX is much better than my '86. My Civic was built in Canada. I'd rather have it than 95% of what's out there!

Inky - I live in MN, only a few days a year above 90, many below 0. The thin oil may be better suited for me? I didnt find specific reasons why Honda switched. Can you give me a bottom line? Thanks
    Here's my take on why 2001 Civic sedans are better than 2000 model.

2001 best in class, offset head-on crash test by IIHS much improved over 2000

http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/summary_small.htm

2001 Civic gets better gas mileage than 2000

DX & LX w/4-Cyl. 1.7L Engine & Manual Trans.: City 32; Hwy 39

DX & LX w/4-Cyl. 1.7L Engine & Auto Trans.: City 30; Hwy 38

DX & LX w/4-Cyl. 1.6L Engine & Manual Trans.: City 32; Hwy 37

DX & LX w/4-Cyl. 1.6L Engine & Auto Trans.: City 28; Hwy 35

New Civic puts out more power

2001 CIVIC LX (HP 115; Torque 110) 2000 CIVIC LX (HP 106; Torque 103)

New Civic gains:

185/70-14 tires, 13.2 gallon fuel tank, Cassette on AM/FM,Trunk Entrapment release, Front spoiler, Latching child safety seats anchors, 12.9 cu ft cargo capacity, Silver satin metallic color option

While losing:

185/65-14 tires, 11.9 gallon fuel tank, Front armrest with storage, 11.9 cu ft cargo capacity, Teal Iced Pearl color option

2001 CIVIC LX ES1551PW Sedan 4D (5-Spd.) (w/o Side Air Bags) retail $15010

2000 CIVIC LX EJ657YPBW Sedan 4D (5-Spd.) retail $14930

I'd say that's quite an improvement for only $80 more retail.
  • bordsourcebordsource Member Posts: 95
    Thanks for the site! It's just what I needed. I've got about .25 to work with, right? I can't recall exactly how much I have until things start to go really wonky. But the stock 185/65/15s are 24.47 in diameter...the 215/50/16s are 24.46, but I'm not sure how the increase in section width will affect things, particularly in the areas of rolling resistance and turning radius. Dunno. The best compromise to me seems to be either a 195/55/16, or a 205/60/15, at 24.44 and 24.69" respectively. But, honestly, I have no clue what I'm getting myself into. Would those 215s work okay? Oh, and for anyone upgrading tire sizes, try to get either the Kumho Supra Ecsta or the Yokohama AVS dB. I've heard that both are excellent.
    i would only say that going from 185/65-14 to 185/70-14 is actually a downgrade. higher ratio of width to side wall height increases rolling, why do you think all performance tires are bellow xxx/55-xx because lower side wall reduces rolling. it may come at a price though, more harsh ride
    Having a cassette, 185/70R14 tires, an extra 1.3 gallons for fuel and an extra 1 cu.ft. trunk space are gains? Yes I'll give you the excellent crash testing results, Honda nailed that one. As for the power, it is all but offset by the additional weight of each model. Those tires are actually not gains due to their slightly taller profile compared to the 2000's 185/65 tires, thereby reducing handling capability slightly. I don't think people are drooling at the thought of that extra 1 cu.ft. trunk space. Anybody can increase a gas tank and trunk capacity, or add a cassette or make a metallic silver colour option available - where's the Honda innovation?
    save the recipts and if the same problem occurs three times, honda has to buy the car back under the lemon law. maybe they are forgetting they japanese heritage, then we all should look somewhere else. if they think they can ride on their popularity alone, people are not as stupid as they think we are, we will find out eventually about the quality of new cars, and what took almost 30 years to achieve will be lost in a matter of few years. i am talking about honda`s legendary quality and reliability.
    What do you want from $15,000 compact sedan?
    If you have a family with a kid or two these upgrades are a blessing:
    longer range, quieter and softer ride, safer child seat anchors, kids can get out of locked trunk, go longer between oil change maintenance, and extra cargo space.
    I'm just saying all those things along with new sharp design are great improvements for $80.
    I'm not talking to 5% who wants to buy the next Honda version of SVO Focus, I'm talking about rest of us who live in the real world... commute 10 miles each way in the gridlock, buy grocery, take the kids to daycare, wanting a safer car with good gas milage - and Honda reliability.
    Isn't that mandated now? I'm a Honda fan but like any business they don't do anything without a reason. I also think the extra interior space is a mirage. So you have a flat floor in the rear, unless you sit on the floor, how much does that really help? I'm sure I'm in the minority but I still prefer the '92-95 (was that 4 or 5 G?) model over the next two.
  • hondaaccessoryhondaaccessory Member Posts: 74
    With most of the models Honda uses different wiring harnesses for the US and Canadian models so there likely isn't a spot to plug in the module for the daytime running lights in the US version.

-Trevor
    www.HandA-Accessories.com
  • bryan27bryan27 Member Posts: 8
    I just ordered a keyless remote and floor mats from that site, good quick service.
  • justinjustin Member Posts: 1,918
    They had cool outside door handles, but no grill and the back end of the sedan was the SAME as the back end of the coupe. Kind of cheap that they did not bother to differentiate between the two. The 96-00 Civics were nicer, but the 96 and 97 had that HORRIBLE set up for the cassette or CD player (on the floor) and all gen 6's coupes had cheap cheap cheap fading awful looking door armrest fabric. My 97 Civic Coupe door handle and center armrest had to be replaced because the fabric wore out. This time they did the whole car right, except for the fact that the controls (radio and temp control) seem to almost point AWAY from the driver..
    i drive 30 miles every day to work and then 30 miles from work, sometimes in traffic, but if i time it right i get ahead of the jam before it forms, i need the road holding capabilities of my gen 6 civic to get me ahead of the slow poke idiot who is driving the speed limit in the left lane, and is causing all that traffic jam. i usually do 90 to get to a point where i noticed the jams originate, and then i just drive like evryone else in th left lane, 70.

anyway, i noticed the new trunk release handles on new hondas. how many of you parents have tought your kids how to use them, and have you tried to find it in the darkness of the trunk. from what the handle looked like it would only glow in the dark for couple of minutes. it is not like it is lit up, which is what i would do if i had a kid. get a white or blue LED from radio schack, solder in a resistor and wire it to the battery. that way the handle is always lit. the only reason honda and other car manufacturers are putting these things in their cars is because some idiot half baked parent didn`t lock their saturn`s trunk when went home. and when the kids were playing hide and go seek, some kid decided, "what a good place to hide, no one will find me here." well, no one did until next morning. then the parents sued GM, even though i don`t think it was gm`s fault, gm settled out of court. honda is just covering its back. how many 5 year olds would know to push,pull or turn that handle when they are scared and panicked in the dark?
  • oops13oops13 Member Posts: 16
    I take advantage of the flat rear floor every time I make the 3 hr trip to visit with family. My two kids in their cars seats and the German Shepard on the floor. I haven't asked her yet, but I think she (the dog) really appreciates not having that hump in the middle. If you don't put the front seats more than half way back then there really is a tremendous amount of room on the rear floor area. The one thing that I would take over the flat floor is a civic wagon. I thought long and hard about a focus wagon but one thing kept coming to mind. It's no good to have a new car when chances are it is going to spend a lot of time in the shop for recalls and TSB's.
  • tazerelitazereli Member Posts: 241
    My 98 EX sedan also has that horrible option of putting the CD or cassete on the floor. It also makes it impossible to use the cup holders and the CD at the same time. When I saw that setup i thought no way. So I had to suffer with just an AM/FM. Is it possible to put an after market stereo where the stock head unit is? I dont want to have to put it where the stock cassette fits. If thats the case then Ill just have Honda put in a CD changer in the trunk and leep the head unit stock. Unfortunatle with that it will cost be an arm and a leg. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Kyle
    I took my 97 Civic to Cicuit City. They have the CD changer that works with the head unit. I think it was $300 for everything, installed. Of course, this was back in 97...;) It is either a Pioneer or a Kenwood, can't remember.
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I prefer the no grill look. My Accord is from the no grill era as well. As for the different back end between coupe and sedan, doesn't matter to me. Maybe I'm even thinking of the generation before that, I know there's a web site that has all the Hondas, anybody know it? My brother has a '97 Civic and I agree about the hvac/radio pod. I still haven't decided on the '01. From the front and sides I like the sedan, but the back doesn't do it for me. The coupe is growing on me, but again that back end... Seen the RSX yet?, looks just like the Civic coupe, imo.
    I agree. The new Civic is nice from the front and side. The profile is remarkably Jetta-esque, don't you think?

The back lights are too small or something like that....
    honda announced that they will offer disel in the 2002 accord, in europe only though. it will be developed by isuzu.
  • tazerelitazereli Member Posts: 241
    Thank you for your input. If you could remember what model specifically it was that would be great. Im not a fan at all of circuit city after several customer relations problems so Im looking at going to Best Buy for the stereo and/or cd changer. i want to see if they might carry the same model as Circuit City. One more question, does anyone know if an aftermarket stereo will fit where the stock head unit is or do i have to suffer with having it where the cd player would go behind the cupholder (98 civic EX)

Thanks

Kyle
  • markd7markd7 Member Posts: 8
    Two weeks ago. Mine was made in Canada and I got 34 mpg on the 1st tank (auto). Seems quite a difference from oldstuff's experience. Quite pleased with the fit, finish, etc. but time will tell how it holds up. No gas gauge problem..

Also for scooter62, I just received a case of AMSOIL 5W20. Will use Honda filters and do my own change every 5K at least while it's under warranty. Since Honda says 5W20, I'll follow their lead, but I definitely want a synthetic in there. I have a 1990 Probe that still runs, but got cam damage from being started and driven after being parked outside in 26 below weather overnight with regular oil (Castrol GTX) in it. It rattles when cold, has some hesitation, but I got 183,000 out of it with no major problems.
  • woatawoata Member Posts: 2
    Hi all, just bought a 2001 Civic EX auto 4dr this Monday for 100 over invoice, great car.

There is a problem thought, very time I go over a bump or dip, a creaking sound will occur from the front driver's side suspension. Just had it checked by a Honda Dealer and they told me Honda HQ got lots of complain for the same problem and is looking for a possible recall to fix it.

I searched the Web but I couldn't found any information about this problem. Anyone else had similar problem??
    What should I do now?? Wait for the recall or ask my Dealer give me a new one (most likely they wouldn't)??
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    I just checked, and there has not been a TSB published yet on this problem - however, I have heard it come up before, so would not be surprised if they are working on it.

In the meantime, try this [worked temporarily on various Toyotas that have had this problem in the past]:

Get a can of spray silicon lubricant, and give all of the accessible suspension bushings a shot of it. The prime suspect in the Toyotas was the bushings for the front anti-sway bar, but anyplace where the suspension moves against rubber or plastic connections is suspect. This may or may not temporarily solve your problem, but it is worth a try.

In checking the TSBs for the '01 Civic, I do note both the TCM problem, as well as the well-known problem of radios going to "code", and the oft-noted difficulties with fuel gauges and sending units. All of these are clearly known to the factory, and thus known to any dealer. You may have to push them sometimes in the direction of an existing TSB...they can be accessed at the NHTSA website.
  • volkejvolkej Member Posts: 108
    I'm considering a 2001 Civic with an auto trans, but I have concerns about driving it in the mountains. I drive frequently from Sacramento to Lake Tahoe which entails driving up some fairly long grades. How does the Civic with an auto do in mountain driving? Does it do a lot of hunting for a gear it's happy with?
    The sales people I've talked to have told me about some new shift logic in the trans that stops the gear hunting, but I'm not sure whether or not that's just sales speak.
    Anybody have a clue?
    Thanks
    Jim
    The new Civics have plenty of power, but plan on spending a certain amount of time in third gear on the way up to Tahoe, no matter what the dealer tells you. It won't "hunt" if you do it yourself...there are going to be stretches on either I80 or US50 where the only thing for it is to manually shift it into third, and leave it there until the grade smooths out. Do that, and I think you will find the car has plenty of poop to handle the trip. But don't confuse this with a V6 Accord...you are torque-challenged in this class of car, and the only thing to do with the automatic sometimes is to grab 3rd gear and hold it.
  • chad_jacksonchad_jackson Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone tried installing a cd player ? I have never touched anything electronic in a car. But I am willing to give it a shot. How hard would it be to follow the installation manual ?

Thanx

Chad
  • venubabu2venubabu2 Member Posts: 5
    hi
    i am new on this board and want some help from members like how to get a good deal from dealers, actually i have done some home work about civics and other sedans and finally settled down for 2001 civic lx auto with dual side air bags, as i am thinking of not spending more than $15000 ok some help needed.
    The price you are quoting [around $15k] is not a big deal around my house [Sacto valley, CA], but no query about price is complete without telling us where you live. All pricing is local. In most urban areas with lots of competition, you should be able to do even a little bit better than the target number; in the sticks, with one dealer holding all the cards, they may demand more money. In any case, you are certainly in the ballpark...what other help were you looking for?
    i am in newjersey and how much i can bargain below the invoice price and how much one can get for 2001 civic lx,and actually i am planning to buy the new 2001 civic lx in the coming long weekend,advice me ok.
    a trustworthy dealer in nj, i bought a car from him in 1999, is D&C honda and chevrolet in tennafly. he is a no B/s dealership, you might want to try there. i forgot the sales man`s name, but if you go in, he is a very tall korean guy, i think his name was jimmy, but i am not sure now. i had a much more pleasant experience with him, compared to paragon honda, and white plains honda. also, if you have no trade in, try www.carsdirect.com they always have decent prices. as a matter of fact when i plugged in my zip code (the bronx) the 2001 lx, with auto, and dual side airbags on www.carsdirect.com came out to $14,878 including destination charge, the invoice for the car is $14,778 including destination charge of $420. so, from carsdirect.com you only pay $100 over invoice. they offer 6.79% apr financing and i think deliver within a week. actually, i think you have to pick it up yourself from a delaer they specify.
    good luck
  • oops13oops13 Member Posts: 16
    Do not let your service department replace the sending unit in your fuel tank if you are having problems with erratic readings. I asked about this on friday (05/18/01) when I took mine in for routine service and the PCM recall. The service manager showed me the paperwork from HONDA that said that the dealer was NOT to replace the sending unit for this problem. They are supposed to wait for a forthcoming service bulletin. HONDA acknowledges the problem exists and says that they are working on a fix.
  • ohio_philohio_phil Member Posts: 1
    Just purchasd a used 2001 Civic LX , 6200 miles,automatic,floor mats and splash guards,for $13,500 + tax from a Toyota dealer. Great car! Much better than the Corollas on the lot.
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    You should be able to get one for under $15,000. Be prepared to travel for a deal, but contact your local dealer first.
    Honda acknowledges the problem exists and says that they are working on a fix. How many fuel guage systems has Honda built in the last 25 years? This is not rocket science. obviously they got it right in gen6, why not in gen7. What's so different about it this time around?
  • scooter62scooter62 Member Posts: 18
    Just saw on nhtsa.gov that there are TSB's for the fuel gauge and tank issues. The nhtsa #'s are SB615796 and SB615808. If anyone finds out what their dealer says about these, I think we'd all be interested and would like to hear the fix
  • philly595philly595 Member Posts: 4
    I just bought a Civic LX 2001 (no side airbags) auto Silver at $100 under invoice $14,633.
    Tip 1:Get your financing in order from your bank or other places. The dealer will try to beat it and you could possibly get a better APR.
    Tip 2: Try to get a quote from the dealership online or over phone. When you visit the dealership the dealer will start at the MSRP. You can at least show him the quote to lower his starting point.
    Tip 3: Go to carsdirect.com and see for what price you can get the car. If they want your business, they will have to beat carsdirect.com price. They did in my case.
    Tip 4: Be wary of options. They tried to sell me floor mats and mud guards at $189.00 each. I said no thanks. I could get them online for around $70 each.
    Tip 5: Research any options you want before you go to the dealership. You can buy many options after market at a much cheaper price. For example:
    I just had my car alarm \w keyless entry installed from Best Buy (free installation).
    Tip 6: If you are uneasy about anything during the process or feel pressured (I felt extremely pressured) tell them you want to think it over because you do not make decisions in this condition. (That's what I said)
    Tip 7: DO NOT SIGN ANYTHING unless you are ready to make the deal. Nor leave a deposit.

I am also from NJ. Good Luck!! I love my Honda Civic unfortunately so does everyone else. They are all over the place.
    I am planning for a 2001 Civic LX 2001 auto sedan with side airbags and i am not going for any other options i hope i can get below $15000,and i am planning to buy this long weekend,i already got a check from a financiers,and i am almost ready to buy just waiting for the right deal.
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    Just march in to your local dealer and make an offer similar to philly's. Can't hurt to cut to the chase. The dealer can say yes or no on the spot. Late in the month isn't a bad time to shop.
  • snowchiefsnowchief Member Posts: 16
    Does anyone know if you can buy a remote for the doors/trunk/panic from someone other than the dealer for the 2001 Civic LX? I know that the CR-V is set up like that, but is the Civic?
  • s852s852 Member Posts: 1,051
    The trunk is not electric and cannot be controlled by the keyless entry.

You can order accesories from hparts.com
  • newcivnewciv Member Posts: 22
    Can I buy an aftermarket AM/FM/CD player from Circuit City, for example, and have them install it in my 01' Civic sedan in place of my standard cassette player? Just not sure if anyone makes a unit which fits the new Civic yet.

Also, how does the Honda CD player, the one which fits under the stock radio, sound?? Does it produce enough bass, treble, good sound?? It costs about $250 from HandAaccessories.com, but I would rather spend $200 at Circuit City and possibly get a more powerful unit.

Who's the expert on this topic.... I want to hear from you !

Thanks,
    NewCiv
    hi
    i just bought 2001 civic lx sedan with side air bags for $14,700.00 +taxes+document fees($300.00)=$15,890(they gave company mats free) at planet honda.they said they will give me security alarm and keyless for $300.00, i said i will call them if i need.can u give somebody like is that deal is ok,and how much
    keyless& alaram costs outside.thanks all you for your support.
    venubabu2
  • strong68strong68 Member Posts: 22
    When should I change the oil in my 2001 LX? The dealer says 3500, the owners manual says 7500? I believe. Also what grade of gas should we be putting in the 2001 Civic? 87 or 89 grade? I'm using 89 but is it worth it? Thanks
  • philly595philly595 Member Posts: 4
    I had my alarm added at best buy for $200.00
    That includes keyless entry,passive alarm,flashing lights,illuminated entry and back up battery plus installation. It is a Black Widow alarm and best buy guarantees it for the life of the car. Also it chirps as oppose to the horn sound. I believe (but I could be wrong) the honda alarm sounds the horn.

That sounds like an excellent deal providing the car is automatic. Congratulations!!!
  • superegosuperego Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2001 CivicEX auto sedan.
    Do I need to apply the hand break after parking every time?
    Usually I don't have such habits to apply the hand
    break for the car with auto-transmission. I only
    left the transmission at "P".
    But somebody told me that it may damage the transmission. Is it true?
    Thank you for advice.