Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Passat 2005 and earlier

Comments

• flacaflaca Member Posts: 168
    I paid for the cd already thru the lease. I just want what I paid for. It's back-ordered but I just can't understand why they can't install another brand.
  • vwguildvwguild Member Posts: 1,620
    although on the surface of it that would seem to
    be a simple enough solution, however; your lease is a complicated financial instrument with no
    room for variation. The In-Dash CD Player has
    been residualized into the lease for a specific
    dollar amount. In addition, if they did that for
    you; they would have to do that for everyone. The
    concept of that alone is scarey. Would you decide
    which CD you would want? What if I didn't like it,
    and I wanted this CD? And my neighbor, who is also
    waiting for her's, wanted something altogether
    different? You see where this is going?

This problem will be resolved shortly...just try to be a little more patient...
  • car_nut1car_nut1 Member Posts: 66
    Give the dealer and VWoA a reasonable period of time to obtain the cd player, consider 4 to 6 weeks. Explain to the dealer that after that amount of time you'll expect some compensation. A free month of your lease, (paid by dealer), would probably be fair. You are entitled to something, your lease payment represents a binding contract, with satisfaction provided by the dealer, try to think "reasonable".
    I have had the car 5 weeks. I think I have been patient. It's just that they can't give me a timeframe for delivery and that's what bugs me. I have also been waiting 5 weeks for a new seatbelt harness for the Jetta.
  • tristan2tristan2 Member Posts: 5
    I know what you mean about waiting for the CD. My dealer first told me it would take a few days to replace the single HU with the new double HU which has the radio, tape and CD all in one unit when I bought the wagon last week. Now he tells me it may take 3 to 4 weeks before he gets it. I'll just try to be patient.
  • h_hatchh_hatch Member Posts: 3
    I am waiting for my 2002 GLS to come in from port. Can't wait! 1.8T with auto, silverstone grey, black leather, sunroof, Monsoon, and Homelink for $25,500. It is replacing a four month old GLX Beetle that was recently totaled. My wife wants more steel around her to feel safer. The Beetle held up well (no serious injuries to my wife), and is structurally more solid, but if it makes her feel better, so be it. I was told it will have the Multifunction Head Unit and hopefully it will. At any rate, the changer from the Beetle survived the crash and will make for a nice addition to the single in dash. Best of all, it's almost free. Hope you folks get your CD units soon.
    If your car arrives not equiped as specified, DON'T accept it. Ask dealer for a loaner until your car appears. This should make them put a bit more pressure on VWoA.
  • bthomassenbthomassen Member Posts: 19
    Ok, so last week, there was a discussion here regarding what the performance and torque was on the 1.8T auto vs v6. Answers were given on 60-70mph performance range. I really want to know about off the line, 0-25mph. How is that tranny off the line? Manual is out of the question. If you had my commute, you would see why. I don't want to cough up the extra $$ for the 6 GLS either, especially if the newer 170hp does the job. My fear is that I'll get people in the car, in the summer, crank the A/C, and then I go to step on it, and its dogging. Thoughts?

plans are 2002 1.8T GLS lease next year. I don't want to pay more than 24-25K.
  • big_guybig_guy Member Posts: 372
    I have a white 2001.5 Passat, 1.8T, w/ the Tiptronic Tranny, Monsoon stereo, and cold weather package. I recently took 3 of my co-workers to a lunch seminar in my Passat. I am 6'7", 220 lbs, and the three passengers were all around 6' tall and between 160 and 200 lbs. All of us fit comfortably in the car. I had the AC going and had absolutely no problems with get-up-and-go (even up a nearby hill). The passengers in the car were all surprised that the car was only a 1.8L 4-banger (albeit a turbocharged 4). The initial "turbo-lag" is there regardless if you have the car loaded up with people or not. Once the turbo spools up though (around 2200 RPM), there is no problems at all. Since that lunch seminar run, my vehicle has been the preferred mode of transportation for "out of the office" runs.
    Big Guy, this is EXACTLY what the doctor ordered. I have that same type of scenario daily... 4 people in my car.. I have a Saab 9.3.. more HP, more Torque than passat 1.8T, but it struggles sometimes. I notice a HUGE diff tho when IM alone.. BUT, this isn't the saab chat, so enough of that. I am just really glad that you relayed your real life scenario. i often go out with the guys @ work, and I know we'll take my passat once I get it. I want that economy too over the 6, given these times and the price of gas, and the whole earth friendly thing. THANKS AGAIN!
  • jill23jill23 Member Posts: 1
    is this agood lease deal in ct. 360 a month for 42 months, 500 down on 2002 gls auto, heated seats, monsoon,lux package. list oncar is 25,700. included on lease price is sales tax.
    Big Guy, this is EXACTLY what the doctor ordered. I have that same type of scenario daily... 4 people in my car.. I have a Saab 9.3.. more HP, more Torque than passat 1.8T, but it struggles sometimes. I notice a HUGE diff tho when IM alone.. BUT, this isn't the saab chat, so enough of that. I am just really glad that you relayed your real life scenario. i often go out with the guys @ work, and I know we'll take my passat once I get it. I want that economy too over the 6, given these times and the price of gas, and the whole earth friendly thing. THANKS AGAIN!
  • dabronxrdabronxr Member Posts: 73
    Is every1 using premium as per manual? I would like to know if any1 uses regular and notices any trbl. Looking to buy 1.8 four.
  • pkraddpkradd Member Posts: 358
    I'm using Premium, 93 octane actually because 91 is not available in FL. The cost per gallon is about 7 cents more which for a tankful is about $1.50 per fill up. I've heard, and this can be confirmed by others, that performance may suffer if you use, say 89 octane. Is it worth a measly buck and a half?
  • credit1credit1 Member Posts: 12
    Dealer tried to tell me cd's would be in soon, but after reading here and vwvortex, I decided to negociate a better price and bought the indash 6cd changer. just closed on 02 glx v6 4motion without cd 30K. would have been 30,300.00 and a long wait with the cd, the 6cd indash is 450 so not too bad a trade off as in trunck is simply awful!
  • stgreenstgreen Member Posts: 74
    I needed to get out of a non-VW lease fast and into a Passat lease quickly and lucked out a bit: I waited only 3-4 days for a 'swap' to get a greystone silver ext/ grey leather interior GLX 2002. i paid for the six disc in the trunk.

I thought i'd just be getting a 2001.5 with different warranty, but instead swap that came in was 2002 with indash cd and 'new' stero set up and all 2002 minor changes.

Salesperson who sold me car was away on vaca when car came in and i wasnt charged the 'extra' for a new car. (that was probably a scam in and of itself).
    Long story short (too late).. i got 7 discs to play with and that indash is nice on long trips with a passenger to pop different cd's in there according to mood and what not.

Also, car is amazing! wife has 1.8T and this is totally different car (V6). Better for my highway commute (quieter), but hers is nice and lively and lighter w/ better milage.
  • pkraddpkradd Member Posts: 358
    Better stop doing this, VW will sell too many and start raising prices! Love my 1.8T Tip. Where does one get the in-dash 6 CD player from VW or another source. Does VW install if not gotten from them? Ok, why is the sky blue?
  • cchapscchaps Member Posts: 1
    Literally just bought a new 2001.5 V6 GLS Passat. During test drive, MIL light was on and dealer said that it would be fixed during their pre-purchase "tune-up". After picking up the car and getting gas, the MIL light came on. Despite tightening fuel cap, MIL light remained on.

I had to go to the VW dealer to have them reset the indicator. They said that this would be my one "freebie", and that subsequent resets would cost ~$80.

Does anyone have any recommended solutions to this? I live in NJ, where you can't pump your own gas, so I'm concerned that inevitably someone won't close the fuel cap tight engough and I'll be out $80. Thanks.
  • wixwix Member Posts: 1
    just bought a 97 GLX. I have had 96 and 97 Jettas and Cabrios. This is my first VR6. I have noticed a whirring or a faint thumping at lower speeds. Is it the wider tires or a front end problem It only has 43K on it. Any thoughts?
  • mwhittmwhitt Member Posts: 69
    sounds like you got a good deal at 30K w/o cd. did you buy in NJ and where - just curious.
    dch in millburn. wanted to check out your dealer but when u disappeared i thought u were having too much fun to return to the boards! where did u buy? i just bought the 6 cd in dash, so am waiting for that to arrive before i pick up the car. dealer said he'd install free, but not sure he'd honour that promise after i pick up the car, so i'll wait till saturday. i thought 30K and 2 die cast beetles for the kids was fine, especially as the factory fitted cd's are starting to arrive.
  • fischdafischda Member Posts: 272
    Friend, the MIL light comes on for a variety of reasons related to the emissions system. I can't believe your dealer just reset the thing and gave it back to you - and no, it's warranty work, they have no business charging you $80 to reset it next time you come in!!

They need to hook the engine's computer up to the diagnostic machine and find out what's going on in the system. Could be O2 sensor, one of several valves could burn out, etc. Yes, a loose gas cap, too, but a couple click should be sufficient.

Don't let this dealer jerk you around - maybe find another dealer and let them explain what they'd do!
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    ...still another ringing endorsement for some of the dealers we all know and love. Every time you think you've heard the last good one, someone has another story to tell.

When the #$%^& light comes on, it means something is amiss...during the warranty, that is VW's [and the dealer's] problem, not the owner's. Jeez....
    Did you buy a dealer's demo? Did you buy a GLS with zero miles? What did the salesperson mean by,"We'll do a pre-purchase tune-up?" A "tune-up" shouldn't be needed for a long, long time. JRCT9454's comment is one you should follow up on, and quick. I wonder what VWguild thinks of this, he's usually the voice of reason. This was not a minor flaw in service, remember ths was the selling dealer! VWoA should really see to it that salespeople like that have no contact with the public until they're re-trained.
  • dcpassatdcpassat Member Posts: 1
    Brethren,
    I am getting ready to dump my 99 GLS sedan and move to the GLX 4motion. IF any of you have made a similar transition I would be interested to hear whether you think it is worth the extra dough.

The talk about the six-disc in-dash changer caught my eye. Is this something new? WHen I bought my car the only option was changer in the truck! It's a pain....
  • mwhittmwhitt Member Posts: 69
    sounds like you got a great deal. bought at crestmont volkswagen-toyota in pompton plains. was having too much fun. i posted back about 2 weeks after your note. i think we got the same deal. i got 30.3 with CD, you got 30 without. i actually think they moved down on price about 1 week after i bought. carsdirect.com dropped their price $200 the week after i picked mine up. you got a good deal - that i am sure of. you were only $200 over the carsdirect invoice w/the adv and other stuff thrown in. good luck w/ the ride. so far smooth driving on my end.
    hope to pick up tomorrow. thanks for all the info.
    the 6cd indash is not available in us. pg performance in canada bought a bunch from Germany for the passat b5 platform. they only work with single din so if u have an indash cd it wont work. they sell the unit for approx 450 US $. i havnt got mine yet. the trick is that some early run vehicles on the lot might be harder to shift without cd so u might be able to getter a better deal. the invoice price is same with or without cd, so dont get caught out!

good luck.
  • futboldadfutboldad Member Posts: 3
    I've narrowed down my choices to a TL Type S or a Passat GLX 4motion. Safety is a primary concern (I have 2 small kids). Also, I live in the Bay area where it may rain a lot but it does not snow (although I make a handful of trips up to the Sierras every winter).

Can anyone offer advice as to what would be better safety-wise? The AWD of the Passat, or the stability control of the TL-S?

Thanks for all your help, I really enjoy this board.
  • wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    Generally, having AWD beats 2WD with stability control. In the case of the Passat, with the quattro-derived 4motion, the AWD system is excellent and adds even more benefit.

You'd probably be okay most of the time with 2WD+VSA as long as the conditions aren't very severe and you don't push the vehicle to extremes. But the 4motion will add some additional margin. Can't wait until VW adds stability control to it, one day.

Tradeoff is going to be vehicle performance, though that is lower on your priority list. The 4motion/quattro is quite heavy and the acceleration between it and the higher-output TL-S will be very noticeable.
  • fb4fb4 Member Posts: 4
    Hello, all. I purchased a 2000 GLX 4Motion sedan at the end of July. Bought it from a dealer when I was told my previous car would cost too much to fix. I just received it from my parents a week ago (I'd been driving their A6.) I like the car s ofar, and I think I paid a fair price-- 25000 dollars for a loaded (including CD changer) VW certified vehicle with 13,500 miles. I was seriously considering the W8 and also the 2002 A4, but they were not available in July. I just read VW does not plan to bring the six speed W8 here. What a shame. I'd love to have a 5 speed in my Passat.

A few questions, though. I am interested in putting HID lights in this car. Does anyone have information about where to purchase them and how much they cost? I recently saw that they now have aftermarket HID headlights and driving lights. I am concerned about putting HID lights in the headlights since I have daytime running lights. Wouldn't want them to be on all the time! I have seen xenon bulbs at auto parts shops, but they are clearly not equivalent.

Any suggestions would be appreciated! I am sure I will come up with more. Look forward to reading the discussion.
    go to www.vw.com; once there, from the drop down
    menus at the top, click on cars and go to *Passat*, from there go to *other stuff*; you will get another drop down...click on 4 MOTION and
    learn about why this car is so superior...
  • jbanvillejbanville Member Posts: 20
    We drove a new Passat last night. Two things I didn't like (1) there seemed to be a lot of tire noise, my feeling is that the tires may have too much pressure, otherwise the car was SILENT. (2) when coming to a stop, you REALLY feel the transmission shift into first. Is this normnal?
  • dabronxrdabronxr Member Posts: 73
    What arrogance. RUN directly to your dealer get in his face and ask him if he can say...BUMPER TO BUMPER WARRANTY! Then bump his lazy [non-permissible content removed] down into his chair tell him you are going next door for a coupla drinks and "when I come back that friggin light betta be fixed or your lights are goin out pal"! I am sorry for getting so mad. When a dealer (or any1 for that matter) tries to take advantage of someone like that my BLOOD BOILS! I had my purchase decision narrowed to the Passat and the new Altima 3.5. Well, with so many stories I have heard about dealers like that and little small things going wrong with VW's (or so I am told), at this point I plan on purchasing the Altima.
    My hubby is on his way to pick up the long-awaited in dash CD. It seems since I wrote to VWoA - the process was speeded up and we were bumped up on the waiting list.
  • futboldadfutboldad Member Posts: 3
    Thanks much for your responses. Here is a philosophical question, though: if AWD is the best in terms of safety, why aren't most luxury cars ($45000 +) equipped with it and instead are equipped with VSC? I'm sure driving conditions in Germany and Sweden are more adverse than in the Bay Area yet the Volvo S80, the BMW 5 and 7 series, and the S class are not AWD. Only some Audis and some E class are AWD.

BTW, here are my pros and cons on the GLX vs TL-S
    Pros on both: Just choose a color and go. All options included (this beats the heck out of ordering/hunting down the exact car you want).
    Passat Pros over TL-S: Folding rear seatback, curtain airbags, better exterior styling (IMO).
    Passat Cons over TL-S: Sluggish with 4Motion, you can spend 30K and see someone who spent 20K drive a similar car.

Since I no longer care about driving fast, I'm leaning toward the Passat.
    Thanks!
    Wise Choice...
  • vapassatvapassat Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I have been reading the messages. All of them very interesting and informational. I am buying a VW passat 99 GLS and found on pre-purchase check up from the mechanic that the Transmission Oil Pan Gasket needs to be replaced coz the Oil Pan is leaking. The car has just 19000 Miles on it. Did anybody have a similar problem with the 99 Passat, it is almost new.

Also is this service covered under the 5 year Power transmission warranty? Any help/advice is appreciated.
  • steveiowasteveiowa Member Posts: 51
    I spent a lot of time on boards like this before I decided to choose a Passat over several other cars. I ended up getting a GLX with 4Mo and all the goodies. I couldn't be happier.

Is the 4Mo sluggish? Not compared to my old Camry four cylinder. Is the 4Mo worth the extra money? To me, having to drive 60 miles a day to commute in Iowa winters, no question about it. Would I spring for the 4Mo if I lived in the Bay area? Probably not.

I spent hours...probably a hundred hours...researching cars...comfort, maintenance costs, handling, reliability, cost, intangibles...before I chose a Passat. For what it's worth, here were the pros and cons:

Pros: Safety, appearance, price (compared to an Avalon, a Beemer, an Audi, etc.), size of the driver's area, comfort, driveablilty, fun.

Cons: I'm a little concerned about the cost of maintaining a Passat after the warranteed service expires. You have to pay a premium for most everything.

I am also a little concerned about the electronics in the GLX. VW has had problems with electrical stuff in the past.

So I bought a 10-100K bumper to bumper from MasterGuard for $1000 as insurance against the nagging electrical problems, which can get into some pretty large numbers pretty quickly. I'll just suck it up and pay the premium for stuff that's not covered (which is routine maintenance).

I don't have the concerns about service from the dealership that some people have expressed...but then I went to high school with the guy who owns the dealership.

Finally, in all of the reviews I read about Passats, I found very very little that was negative. Most reviews ranged from positive to absolutely glowing. The same holds true for the people I talked to who owned Passats...without exception they loved their cars. (I am not a shy person...I'd walk up to someone getting out of a Passat and ask them how they liked their car.)

The likelihood of making a good choice is in direct proportion to the amount of time you spend doing your research, which is easier than ever with the information available on the Web.
  • carla67carla67 Member Posts: 1
    Hi. I’m thinking about getting a new Passat. Test drove a 2002 1.8T with manual transmission yesterday (base with the Monsoon sound system) and I have a few thoughts I would like to share on this forum.

1. The car feels really slow starting off in 1st. Doesn’t really start making any useful power till about 3500 rpm or so and from then on it feels really strong (for a 1.8). Is this normal? I drive a ’98 Sentra SE and it feels a lot quicker off the line. The dealer did not have a 5-speed V6 on the lot and I was wondering if the V6 had more useable torque lower down in the range. Any impressions to share?

2. The oem tires on the 1.8T GLS are 195/65R15s. What size tires do you get with the luxury package upgrade with the alloy 15-inch wheels?

3. I could not find any prices on a dealer installed CD changer for the trunk. Are these readily available? What kind of prices do they typically sell for?

Overall, I liked the driving experience, except for that bit of a dead spot starting off in 1st. The steering and the shifter feel good, the clutch travel feels a little long (imo) but that could probably be adjusted, and the car feels solid and well built with a lot of good stuff as standard. Will probably buy one within the next month or so, just need to decide if I want the 1.8 or the 2.8. Anyway, I’ll stop rambling now. Thank you for responding
  • wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    A good friend who's very knowledgeable thinks that the main reason some higher-end vehicles don't have AWD is because the demand isn't there. However, most of the Audi's have quattro, and supposedly the next-generation S-class will have a 4matic option. The C-class will also get a 4matic option within the next two years, supposedly. The new BMW 7-series design also accommodates later addition of 4wd.

As it is, many of the higher-end vehicles are not front-wheel drive, but rear-wheel drive -- not sure how this adds to the equation.

In Europe, they treat roads differently than we do. Roads aren't constantly plowed and salted, instead leaving a layer of snow and then sanding them. Many cars are chained and the chains are left on all the time during winter. They leave heavy-duty, studded winter tires on all the time. Supposedly this is one reason why many rally car champion drivers are Swedes.

Since safety appears to be the highest priority for you, I'm sure your research has also shown that the Passat has done extremely well in the IIHS crash tests, and the EuroNCAP (www.euroncap.com) tests. Whereas the TL has not been tested by IIHS. However, it is heavily based on the Accord, which definitely did not fare as well ("acceptable," not "good"). While Acura claims the TL has much structural improvements over the Accord platform, I would speculate that it still wouldn't match the Passat's crash performance.

The GLX 4motion may not have as much power compared to the TL-S, but it should be fine. Over the long haul, it may not be as reliable as the TL-S, but if safety is your top priority I'd go with the excellent quattro-based system.

Some folks still claim the TL-S has a good amount of understeer when pressed.

Did you also consider the Subuaru Outback H6 VDC (sedan or wagon variants)? Has a bit more power but a bit more weight, and adds stability control on top of a fine implementation of Subaru AWD (there are subtle but important differences in the AWD Subaru puts in its line, and this one has its best). Curiously, the Passat still beat it in Consumer Reports' emergency handling test, possibly because of a softer suspension, and that the Subaru's VDC isn't as aggressive as some other stability control systems (which some people prefer). Should be a very reliable vehicle. Does well in IIHS crash tests too but does not have side curtains, too bad.
  • merckxmerckx Member Posts: 565
    It really does lack torque,so you hit the nail right on the head. Sluggish take-off is a small complaint I have with mine. The 6 totally transforms it. It is a little pricey,but I didn't get it because of the interior wood that comes with it. I thought it a dated trim for an otherwise very modern,youthful design. If you like the wood,and many do,the 6 is a fun car to drive.
  • 01passatv601passatv6 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 01 v6 gls passat sedan stick and the low end torque and pickup are great, a couple people have mentioned la driving conditions in traffic and I feel this engine combo is great for that, you pretty much can drive in second around town with great pickup, lousy mileage though in this condition, but very versatile. I am sure the tip trans. would be suitable for some, I just love driving it with a manual. Very smooth and slick. Just IMO.
  • frapzoidfrapzoid Member Posts: 127
    I talked with a few VW dealers and they made it sound like it was almost impossible to get a V6 wagon with a stick. Is this true? If getting that combination was possible would the V6 with Tiptronic be a better pairing? Thanks.
  • mandakmandak Member Posts: 2
    My preference is to buy or lease a 1999 or 2000 Passat GLS V6 automatic but nothing in my marketplace presently. An independent dealer has a 1996 Passat GLX VR6 with automatic transmission. It sounds noisy and feels whimpy when first accelerating. I'm spoiled because I test drove a 1999 and a 2001 (very quiet and strong acceleration). Any comments about the 1996. Also is there a way to verify whether the odometer has been tampered with; it only has 40,000 miles?
  • essencessenc Member Posts: 2
    Hi Passat owners:
    Other than the VW CD player what other options do I have? Anyone installed a non-VW CD player on the Passat?
  • mlayton694mlayton694 Member Posts: 45
    Hey,

Just bought a manual 1.8T GLS with leather and lux, love it so far. Just wondering if anyone else noticed the loud engine noise when starting the engine cold. Sounds kind of like a diesel for the first few miles (maybe not like a diesel, but kinda loud). Is this normal ?? Other than this, a great car so far,
    MLayton
  • birdboy1birdboy1 Member Posts: 39
    Yes, I also notice that my 2002 1.8t engine is a bit loud at take off, but once the engine it heats the noise subsides

Yes, you can order a Panasonic 6cd changer for the passat trunk that takes 5 minutes to plug and play. It is fullycompatible with the monsoon and can be ordered on line from logjam.com, be sure to get the correct interface, total package was $245 including shipping.

Take care and it is great that I can help as others have helped me.
  • spartanman2spartanman2 Member Posts: 61
    Hi everyone--

I'm in the market for a family sedan. With 2 boys, ages 4 and 1, (and of course 2 car seats), I need opinions on how family friendly the Passat is...Is the rear seat room adequate?; Is it a comfy/quiet ride for those 200 mile trips to visit the relatives?. Is there another SEDAN (please don't recommend a Mini Van or SUV) out there in the $30,000k range that perhaps would fit our needs better?. I've test driven the Passat, but only for a short run, and was very impressed...Thanks.
  • steveiowasteveiowa Member Posts: 51
    Birdboy's right. I did the 6 CD (in the trunk) player too. It's the CX-DP610EUC from Panasonic. I got it from Logjam Electronics. You need to get an adapter, which is available right there too. Slick as a whistle.
    From what I've learned, there's no aftermarket in-dash that's compatible with the Monsoon. If I'm wrong, will someone set me straight? Thanks.