Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Passat 2005 and earlier

Comments

• vwguildvwguild Member Posts: 1,620
    Circuit City will obviously give you more options
    price wise...my hard cost, installed is $350, but
    that cost carries the same 2/24 warranty as the car...if you have a problem...we replace it with a new one.

Easy to install, yes. But in order for the system
    to operate PERFECTLY it has to be programmed at
    the Dealership...Other posts about that here somewhere, problems, etc.

Shop and compare...I think the VW.COM price, and
    you can get that at a Dealership, is pretty fair.
  • butch11butch11 Member Posts: 153
    Any dealership has to get a huge profit margin to maintain their lifestyle. Go with Best Buy-you will get a better product for less money. The big deal with CD changers is mechanical reliability-ask around-check out Crutchfield and BB before making a purchase decision.

Avoid car dealerships like the plague-they rank right behind politicians and lawyers for their propensity to lie, cheat and steal.
  • SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    I bought my changer and brackets at the dealership for about $300. It took me longer to find a screwdriver then to instal the thing.

It all works perfectly, every feature, and the dealer didn't need to tough it at all.
    I have an updated program guide for the mix feature, etc. If you would like it; I can fax it to you...
  • wjqiwjqi Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2K Passat and would like to install a CD changer also. I have the Monsoon system and I believe the CD is prewired. But I want to install an in-dash CD changer. I asked the local dealer, they said it is in nationwide back order. Are you guys saying that the dealer has them now? Or I am talking about a different thing.
    Thanks for any information.
  • r34r34 Member Posts: 178
    Is the extended warranty necessary ? The dealer told me to extend to 4 years will be $899 and 5 years will $999. The 2 years bumper-bumper seems to be very short. Will the 10 years major components good enough ? How about things like oxygen sensors, airbags, and airbag control module ?

I heard the Monsoon system is good but it lacks bass and it is hard to find an aftermarket amp to boost the Monsoon system. I am thinking of getting the basic stereo and then replace the speakers and add an amp for the system. Any suggestions ? Thanks.
  • vlsi54199vlsi54199 Member Posts: 2
    Hi folks,

Anybody has any infor on how to install a new CD/receiver on Passat? (2000 GLS v6)??

Thanks!
  • jed1894jed1894 Member Posts: 337
    If I had it to do again I would not get the Monsoon system. I am very disappointed in the sound quality for what I paid for it. It's not that great. My Chev. truck AM/FM Stereo sounds as good or better. You're exactly right....the base is not that good.

However, the Passat's (X3) I looked at all had the Monsoon system....leaving no option. If I wanted the vehicle, I had to buy the system. You may run into the same problem.

Otherwise....the Passat has been a great riding vehicle. Very happy at 5300 miles.

John
    It is very important that you all read the Monsoon
    booklet that came with your Owner's Manuals...

This System is 200 watts/8 channels, but you have to know how to operate it...For example, you have
    to set treble, bass, and mid for each medium...
    am, fm, cd, & tape because those sources are so
    dramatically different.

If you have problems please contact me...I would be happy to help.

Believe me...this is a great system, but it also
    sophisticated and requires a little effort to
    optimize...it is not just a matter of hitting the
    power button.
    I read the book twice (three times now after reading vwguild's post) and it still sounds the same. Matter-of-fact, I've been playing with it for the last hour trying to improve sound. Don't misunderstand me.....the system sounds good, but just not worth what it cost (in my opinion).

r34:
    In my humble consumer opinion.....unless you're into a sophisticated sound system that requires reading a manual or book to operate, I'd get the regular sound system and save the bucks. I personally want a car radio I can operate without reading a manual. PLUG N PLAY! There's enough reading on other more important topics.

Bottomline: when I bought the car I did not pay much attention to the sound of the system. The price definitely caught my eye but I figured it was a really nice radio. Plue it was the only wagon on the lot. On the way home (1.5 hour drive) my wife drove and I read the manuals and played with knobs, controls, etc. (the things we do with new cars) and I was kinda disappointed in the price of the sound system compared to what I heard.

Good luck....

John
    These are the very first complaints that I have
    ever heard regarding this system...and I talk to
    every single new car customer that we have.
    Regarding price...you might want to check to
    compare the cost $287/$325..to other mfg. upgraded systems, or at the cost of a 200 watt,
    8 channel, actively crossed system at CircuitCity,
    or Best Buy...plus installation.

Once again...if I can be of help...call me
    I test drove the car with the Monsoon system. The sound is ok but it's not as good as some people mentioned. Although it is 200W 8 speakers, it is not much better than my Altima's base system (60W 4 speakers). I turned the bass to max but it's worse than my Altima's bass. Even my wife can notice that. I always complaint to people about my Altima's stereo bass if I listen to tape/radio. CD is OK though. I listened only to the radio during my test drive. Tape/CD on the Monsoon may be better.

I heard some people complaint the Monsoon bass too and they told me it's quiet difficult to upgrade the monsoon system. They suggested me buy the base stereo and then spend money on aftermarket amp/speakers.
    Someone told me if I turn the volume of my car's stereo very high from time to time (not always), I may have better bass later. He compared the difference between doing that and keeping the volume at normal level all the time.
    Once again, you need to adjust bass, treble, and
    mid for each medium, ie. CD, Tape, am, & fm. Never
    heard of the above...
    I posted this on another topic, but I'll do it here also.....

Has anyone noticed (on their Passat) a loud start-up knock from the engine. I noticed when my wife started the engine that it knocked (top end) for about 1 second very loudly. I was wondering if this was normal?

Thanks....John
    I've never had any knocking... are you using the recommended grade of gas? (91 octane)
    Power Output for the above is:
    4X20 to the tweeters (2 at *A* pillars) 2 in rear
    Doors)
    2X20 to the woofers (front doors)
    2X30 to the Sub-woofers (rear doors)
    Do airbags, airbag control unit/module and oxygen sensor covered only within the first 2 years ?

How about things like hoses and battery ?

If a failure of a component will prevent the car to move, that component should be covered under the 10 years warranty, right? Thanks.
  • iluvmaxiluvmax Member Posts: 33
    Wow I was looking at the pics of the 2001.5 Passat and it looks beautiful!! Its got real cup holders too wooohooo. Does anyone know when it goes on sale? I love my y2k max but I could be persuaded to switch lol
    The 10yr/100K covers the POWERTRAIN...any LUBRICATED part that moves the car...oil pump,
    trans, diff.,etc. Bumper to Bumper is just that...

Warranty Booklet is 28 pages in length...Talk to
    the F & I person re: Masterguard Extended.
  • andrewinlaandrewinla Member Posts: 15
    I am shopping left over '00 Passats and getting a range of discounts. The worst offer was invoice the best was $4200 of MSRP (factory MSRP no addons). Problem is these are mostly cars with 4Motion. In SoCal its not needed, in fact Im trading in my 4WD Trooper in so stupid to get 4Motion. I wonder if a car I want (a GLX with TIP or V6 with leather,LUX & TIP)will cost the same as a '01 rather than get a '00 GLX with 4Motion.

Whats the best deals anyone get on a '00 and what dealer. Im on the west coast.

Thanks
    Andrew
    I never like to asume anything; so let me direct
    your attention to the fact that 4Motion is not an
    off-road system, but is all-wheel drive...all the
    time. If you go to VWVORTEX.COM and go to *news*,
    and then to *archives* at FEB.2000 you will find
    a review of the car...you can also go to *PRESS*
    at the VW.COM site and scroll to the bottom and
    you will find there the press release about 4MO.
    I am sorry that VW took off a great animation on
    the site that illustrated the benefits of traction, safety, control, and performance. 4Motion/Quattro cars came in 1,2,3 at Le Mans this
    year...race cars, of course, but those Audis won
    it all.

This is just a heads-up, because if you understand
    the benefits; you might get a great deal on the
    flagship car...and you guys down there get plenty
    of rain...just a thought....
    I did drive the 4Motion wagon and liked it alot.It really is a great system and not meant as a off road system. But the gas mileage compared to my SUV is not that great. I was trying to gain some things by trading in a '99 SUV for a '00 Wagon. I will lose some money as it is so I don't want to make it worse. I may just stick with what I have if it will cost me too much money and not enough return. As far as rain...in Los Angeles it hardly rains, I forgot what rain is like. For the few days it rains we all stay in and go nowhere.

Thanks for the input.
  • automophileautomophile Member Posts: 780
    Thanks for your continous input. It is nice to be able to get an "inside" view and help.
    I'm using the stuff they put in. According to the service manager is Castrol 10w30. He also said yesterday when I called that the knock/chatter was normal for that model and engine. He said he went out and started a few up and they had knock on start.

I'll get it documented at 10,000 oil change and have them check it. Not so bad.....with the 100,000 mile warranty I guess.

I wonder if Syn. oil would make a difference....

John
  • ssoukupssoukup Member Posts: 1
    Hi all

I am a future 2001.5 Passat GLX owner. I cant wait.

I fell in love in 98 when the B5 came out, and now the new B5.5's are super-sweet.
    Mine will be:

'01.5 GLX, White, TIP, grey leather, and then I will put some Borbet Type C wheels on it!!

Check out my website:

http://home.pacbell.net/lerxt/passat.html

Im here in So. California (Glendale)
    Anyone here from the local area?
    Whats the best dealer in the Los Angeles area / The worst?

I helped my sister get her 99 Jetta from the Pasadena VW dealer.

Stephen S
    lerxt@pacbell.net
    http://home.pacbell.net/lerxt
    I was asking about the GAS octane, not the oil weight. :-)

I know for a fact that using a lower then recommended gas octane can cause knowck and pinging under load, but I wouldn't expect that to happen at idle on start up. Keep it documented and you should be covered... that 100k mile powertrain waranty will cover you for a long time.
    I am not very similar with car stereo.

Is Passat base stereo using FM to receive/send signals from/to the CD changer or it depends on the CD changer ? My friend told me this setting will downgrade the sound quality.
    It is hard wired...NO fm modulator is used
    Does it mean I can get a car CD-player from Circuit Player and then just "plug it into" the slot ?
    Oh....If things were so simple. You can install
    the changer probably without much trouble...
    Circuit City has adapter plugs, etc. But don't
    change out the head unit. We had a lady go to CC
    with her New Beetle, and they screwed up the
    wiring harness and some other wiring and she could
    not start her car...brought it into us on a hook
    with an aftermarket deck...no warranty coverage...
    well you get the picture.

One suggestion though...I pointed this out before
    in a previous post. A Six Disc changer is $350
    installed at my store...pretty reasonable to me,
    and as factory equipment, we treat it like a
    warranty item. As with most electronic stuff, if
    it works out of the box; it will probably work
    forever. If a customer has any kind of skipping
    problems, etc. we just replace it with a new one.

If you have a problem with an Alpine, or Sony, or
    Nak...it will be repaired under warranty, but they
    will charge you to take it out, send it to the mfg. and to reinstall...just a thought...
  • anonymousanonymous Member Posts: 314
    Thanks all for the response on putting an after factory CD changer in my Passat, but I would like a simple answer. If I plug a 12 or 10 CD player into the already existing wire in the trunk(with an adapter)and press the cd button on the radio what will happen??
    Sorry for the mix up.....gas vs. oil......

My wife usually uses the mid grade gas, but I put in the 93 oct when I'm in it. But it's not that kind of ping/knock, as you already stated. The knock is when the engine is first started, usally on colder mornings. I've noticed it doesn't do it every time.

I'm not very worried at this point because of the great warranty VW offers. I'll have them check it at 10k service (in writing) just in case.

Thanks for response.....

John
  • merckxmerckx Member Posts: 565
    The 2001 general VW brochure calls for only the V6 to require premium fuel.I can't say if this would also apply to eariler Passats.Also,I'm very close to buying a Passat myself.One small problem,though.I don't know if I should wait for 2001.5.On current Passat,which I totally love,the armrest fouls my shifting elbow(the car begs to be driven with maximum gusto).It's not a problem if I lower the armrest below horizontal.I don't really care for the new look tne Passat will have,but I uuderstand the car will be tighter and stiffer.But in photos I've seen the armrest looks very built up and one that would surely hamper shifting(I have driven more than a few other brends where this is a very real problem).Once anyone has sat in the Passat,please post an answer.If the new armrest is too bulky,I want to buy a 2001 while the selection is still fairly good.Many thanks.
    I do no believe that a 10 or 12 disc changer will
    fit...
    Both the V6 and the 1.8T REQUIRE 91 octane fuel for best performance and mileage. :-)
  • mk26mk26mk26mk26 Member Posts: 8
    I'm thinking about buying a GLS V6 wagon and have two questions:

1. About what is the discount I should expect from a dealer for a new 2000 wagon vs. a similarly equipped 2001 car? (If it matters, I'm in the Wash. DC area).

2. Is the only difference between the '00 and '01 models that the '01 has "side curtain protection"? What exactly is it, anyway? How does it differ from airbags? I noted that though the Passat has "airbag" marked where the front airbags are located, there's no such marking for the side curtains (at least, not based on what the salesman showed me).

Thanks.
  • snurplesnurple Member Posts: 130
    I just ran a hypothetical at Kelly Blue Book, comparing trade-in values for a 95 vs a 96 Passat.

The difference between a 5-year-old vs. 6-year-old Passat wagon is $1750. This is one way to ESTIMATE the cost to you if you buy a 2000 vs. a 2001 and trade it in after 5 years. On the one hand, a 2000 (with little or no miles) is a brand new car; on the other hand, you are purchasing something less valuable than a 2001 and should see a reduction in its cost.

The dealer wants you starry-eyed with exhileration after a test drive--but you are making a huge purchase and need to look beyond the thrill of the moment. Even if a "new 2000" has that "new car smell," don't forget that it isn't quite as new as a 2001.

Side curtains are thinner airbags that basically cover the front and rear window in the case of a side collision, protecting heads from getting whacked and keeping the flying glass to a minimum. Side airbags usually only extend up to the shoulder and don't do much to protect your noggin.

I think that the 2001's also have the addition of steering wheel controls (cruise and radio) with the leather package and GLX trim.
    I would get the 2001 wagon (I did). The 2001 does have the steering wheel controls....don't know about the 2000.

Good luck.

John
    All VW dealers received $1000 on all remaining
    2000 Passats, as part of a 2001 *Build Out Incentive* program. Your best price would be $1000
    back of invoice plus $2-300. Isn't a Dealer out there that won't take that deal on a 2000...But
    this incentive DID NOT apply to 4MO...be advised of that.
    *Full Curtain Side AirBag Protection* is STANDARD
    on all 2001 Passats with an August or later Build Date...Steering Wheel Controls Standard on ALL
    Passats.

Side Curtain Protection Labels at the *A* & *B*
    pillars...

Which to buy? Dollars VS Safety, I guess...kids,
    driving profile, ie. Miles you or your wife drive,
    and where...highway vs in town. I was a Paramedic
    for years and T-Bone Accidents come out of no where, believe me. Kids in a car can be a distraction, if they are little...Don't know enough about your situation to give much advice
    beyond take all of these things into your decision...
  • richardlinrichardlin Member Posts: 2
    Just got our new car two days ago. Needless to say everyone is pretty excited. And, the car did not disappoint! It came with 100 miles on it, so we are driving it gently now.

Now here's my story: I ordered an Indigo Blue GLX wagon back in September. Last week my salesman called and told me there is a Blue anthracite 4MO GLX wagon available. By that point, patience has pretty much evaporated and we decided to take the car. The color is actually quite nice and I've read a lot of good things about 4MO so we didn't mind paying extra for it. Not that we need it that much in San Diego.

Now the (not so) sad story, we paid full MSRP for it (>32K with destination). Well, almost. We got window tinting for free. Knowing this is a hot item, I didn't expect to get much discount anyway so I didn't bargain very hard.

Here's some other items they offered to me:
    in dash CD player: $495
    CD changer: $595
    Teflon coating protection: $395 (later reduced to $295)
    Extended warranty (6 yrs/72K miles): $1250
    LoJack: $595, later quoted again at $495.

All numbers seem way too high for me so I didn't take any of them. However, I AM interested in extended warranty but couldn't find out more on vw.com. vwguild, you mentioned MasterGuard. Is it the official VW plan? How much is it and can I purchase it from a different dealer (such as you)? The one offered by my dealer is run by Fidelity Warranty Services, and they claim all VW dealers will honer the warranty. I'm also interested in getting a CD player/changer from a different dealer since this place doesn't have one in stock anyway.

Thanks for the help. vwguild, thanks for being here and offering lots of valuable information.

Richard
    Please send a email to the store, westerVW@msn.com
    or give me a call...all numbers posted at
    westerVW.com
    I really do not want to engage in any commerce
    here. Will be at work by 10:00AM
    Glad you got the car...what color leather? BTW...
    Anthracite has been the more popular color up here, do not know why, but nonetheless true. And,
    you will learn to love the 4MO...If you were to
    go back and drive one w/o now you would feel the
    difference right away. The fact that it is so
    transparent is it's beauty...Talk to ya later...PS
  • snurplesnurple Member Posts: 130
    Not trying to be a party-pooper here, but..I am surprised that the dealer, who obviously failed to provide you with the car that you originally ordered from him, refused to give you a good deal on the higher priced model he convinced you to buy.

How did this happen? Why wouldn't he budge? Especially since 4-motions are not selling well in So-Cal!! (See post #73)

The fact that the dealer did not give you a good deal, should be sending up all kinds of red flags if you are considering any of the other items he is trying to package into the deal. This dealer is trying to take you to the cleaners big time!

I wouldn't even use his prices as a way to comparison shop--they are that high. For instance:

*Your dealer's "$595 cd changer" can be installed for $350 at many VW dealers. (He would have made another $245!)

*Compare your dealer's $1250 "6yr/75K extended warranty" to prices mentioned on this bb and others for the same warranty--$1195 for 10yr/100K!

*Teflon coating is generally recognized as a scam--a relatively worthless add-on. First, you don't park your car in the Death Valley sun, and Second, VW paint is excellent-it doesn't require this kind of additional protection.

etc......

But hey, after you outfit your new car as you please (hopefully for a good price), I am sure that you will love scooting around town! Congrats on you new car!
    If I want only a CD player, not a CD changer, how much would you charge for parts & installation ? May I know the power of the basic stereo ? (Is the CD player includes an amp ? If so, what's the power ?) Thanks.

For everyone, is it worth to buy an extended warranty ? Which long did you extend ? I received a quote from autobytel, I can't remember whether it is $399 or $499 for 5 years vs my local dealer's $999 for 5 years.

For anyone who is interested in the 4motion's, my friend got a 1999 Audi A4 2.8 quattro auto, leather seats, sport package, sunroof package, Bose packages, heated seats at the end of 1999 for just several hundreds above invoice. If you don't care the additional year warranty and scheduled maintaince, compare the 2000 Audi A4 2.8 with the 4montion Passat. You can usually get more discount for a 2.8 than a 1.8t.
    If you want to find out how good of deal you got, check edmunds TMV on the vehicle. The formula (TMV) has been right on the money on the last two vehicles I purchased.

However, if you've already bought the car, you might not want to know (unless you want to raise H#@& with the dealer).

I remember the Hondo Odyssey selling for full retail about 9 months ago. I didn't believe it until I checked with four different dealers and also compared on edmunds TMV. The vehicle you purchased may have been in that category. If not, we all live and learn......my advice: enjoy your car.

John
    Monsoon Power specs post #64...Power for Premium
    System, ie. regular is 4X20.
    In Dash CD Player is $350 in your car. VW Master-
    Guard is what I would recommend if you want an
    Extended, but that is up to you...many opinions
    on that subject...but if you do it that is the
    way to go...$50 deductible and honored at all
    VW Dealers US/Canada.
    I have been shopping Passats from San Diego to Santa Barbara. Many dealers are begging me to take a 4motion. 3 were wagons and one was the Indigo you mentioned at $4000 off sticker. If you have not bought I will send you my Excel spreadsheet with what inventory I have found.

Andrew
    Which one did you buy, and how many do they have left...I might buy up the balance at those prices.
  • richardlinrichardlin Member Posts: 2
    Yeah, I knew that. I just didn't have the time and patience to do enough home work and deal with the dealer. First I thought I didn't overpay that much when I saw that Amazon.com's auto sales also offers MSRP on this model. Of course, according to Edmunds TMV I over paid about $1000ish. That's why now I'm a bit fed up and am turning to you guys for information regarding warranty, CD, etc. This place reminds me of the good old days when I was on CompuServe back in the dark age of late 80's, lots of good help from online discussion groups.

-R
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    when additional data/specs are available for the V8 Passat, and its release date?