Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen Passat 2005 and earlier

Comments

• dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,428
    My father has a 2000 Passat wagon with a 1.8t and manual tranny. It has 106,000 miles on it and has averaged just over 30 mpg. The brakes and clutch are still original, and there have been no major repairs.
  • quan69quan69 Posts: 21
    Everything else being equal (condition of paint, upholstery, etc.) and if you like driving both cars equally, I'd get the 1.8T. You can chip it and get ~207 HP. With the V6, you only get 190 HP. The V6 also leaks more oil and has lower MPG.

If you go with the 1.8T, make sure that the coil packs have been replaced.
  • gbadgbad Posts: 2
    Ladies and Gents,

I have a 2003 W8 and I cracked my windshield. The quotes that I am getting range around 300, but the dealer wants to charge 500 for VW German glass. Are there any advantages going with German glass except for paying extra....

Thanx

George
    Georgeo
  • fish8fish8 Posts: 2,282
    I, personally, do not see any benefit in purchasing VW "German" glass. It is probably the same exact windshield as any other windshield. The only benefit I can see is that VW may be more familiar with installing the windshield on a new W8.
  • altair4altair4 Posts: 1,469
    Wasn't long ago that someone posted (maybe not here) that there wasn't an aftermarket glass for the Passat. I can't recall the OEM manufacturer of the glass...I'd check for the name on the windshield then call the glass companies and see who manufactures what they are offering. May be the same stuff. Worth a couple of calls, IMO.
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Posts: 5,071
    Same thing on my Audi -- I had the windshield put in at the dealer...the INSURANCE company negotiated the final price, but it was less than if I had had to pay for it OOP.

In fact, for winshield replacment, there was, oddly, no deduct!

Woo Woo!
  • machaanmachaan Posts: 30
    Can someone compare the two in
    1) Summer
    2) Winter
    3) Longevity

Is black leatherette wrong option in summer?
  • chchoichchoi Posts: 37
    I need to replace my front windshield for my GLX. It has rain sensor. I called dealer and they don't do replacement. They will out source to other glass company. They have OEM glass, but there is no VW logo on it. It has SECURIT on it. And the glass company claim it is the same. However I insist to have VW logo on it and it is very difficult to find it. Anyone have the same experience?
    Does VW offer the leatherette option? I thought that was a BMW offering.
    . . .the quality of materials, leather or plastic or anything in between probably means more than the material itself.

My buddy's Audi A4 with "leather-ette" and heated seats is fine year round -- and if I didn't know better, I probably would have little to comment on.

The leather-ette is perforated, leather is not (at least it didn't used to be on most Audis and VW's) -- any argument that the plastic doesn't breathe and is therefore inferior to leather is probably mostly mitigated by the perforation.

If you sit your bare legs down on a leather or plastic seat that has been out in the sun all day, you are in for a "hot thigh."

Leather, usually, smells nicer. Plastic is easier to get a milk shake out of, but the current crop of premo leathers is pretty easy to clean.

Leather, over time, will take on a special look and feel since it is a natural material, plastic may or may not take on a different look and feel, but even the best plastic doesn't look "natural" after 10 years.

Where was I, oh yea -- it is a personal preference thing in most of the European cars since they seem to use high quality leather and plastic (leather-ette) materials.

Plastic is almost always less money. Sometimes there is an option for "leather seating surfaces" which means that virtually every thing you touch is leather, but the areas you see but rarely touch are plastic -- some would say the "best of both worlds" there.

Shhh, don't tell anyone I prefer the cloth seating surfaces -- but they are almost uncleanable and I have two Shelties -- and pet hair on cloth seats (not to mention the milk shake or coffee or cola or french fry) is a major vacuum job in waiting. I have, since 1991, given up on cloth seats and gone to leather -- personal preference. The lease payment difference is diminimus with plastic or leather, so I choose leather.
    You wrote:
    "Sometimes there is an option for "leather seating surfaces" which means that virtually every thing you touch is leather, but the areas you see but rarely touch are plastic -- some would say the "best of both worlds" there."

I could be wrong, but I'm under the impression that most, if not all, cars that use leather fit in this category. I'm pretty sure that the Passat fits this description.
  • HCLEMOHCLEMO Posts: 19
    I need to replace my VW Cabrio (not a bad car, but the drivetrain has been a recurring problem for me) with a commuter car for use between Richmond and Fredericksburg, VA on I-95. I need something that will do well on icy, snowy parking lots and local roads, since they don't seem to get treated as quickly as I 95 in the winter. The Passat appeals to me given Consumer Reports recommendation on safety.

I test drove the 2004 Passat sedan with 1.8T, manual, 4 motion. I quite liked this car and felt it drove much better than my wife's 1997 Subaru outback with 2.5 and manual and AWD.

I am wondering whether I should wait for the 2005 Subaru Legacy which will have side curtain airbags but what seems to be a similar drive train as my wife's 97 Subaru.

My questions about VW reliability include:

1. Has VW finally fixed the ignition coil problem?
    2. Can I expect 120K out of the 1.8T (assuming I religiously follow VW recs on maintenance)? Consumer Reports rates 1.8T VWs as below average reliability (I think most of this is due to the ignition coil)
    3. Is 4-motion as bullet proof as AWD on Subarus?

Thanks.
    I have noticed in some configurators (and I am not limiting this to VW or Audi or BMW etc) they SOMETIMES say "leather seating surfaces" and sometimes there is another option that uses the word leather.

When a specific mention is made of LEATHER SEATING SURFACES I assume that your back and butt get leather, period.

If the option list offers another -- more expensive -- leather option and does NOT specifically say leather seating surfaces, I, for right or for wrong, assume that the whole seat is leather covered.

Frankly, the quality of leather and leather surfaces and the ability to virtually seamlessly (no pun intended) be put together has made me care not if the whole thing is leather or some combination. Just don't lie to me.

So, if the Passat, for example offers cloth, vinyl, leather and leather seating surfaces as distinct options, I would assume that the leather means ALL leather.

I could be wrong.
  • probangprobang Posts: 3
    Interestingly, before I took possession of my W8 last April (shipped in from port), the dealer found a crack in the windshield. To replace it they had to order it from somewhere, but actually subcontracted to a local auto glass repair company to do the installation.
  • merckxmerckx Posts: 565
    I've got a 2001 Passat GLS i bought new three years ago. About six weeks ago,the air bag light wouldn't go out. Because the car has such low milage,21,000 miles now,VW paid for the repair. Now,six weeks later,the air bag light stayed on again today. I'm pretty confident VW will fix it again,but I'm getting a little frustrated with my car. Would a Virginia Lemon Law apply here?
  • birdboy1birdboy1 Posts: 39
    Please help me understand if my service department took me and my 1.8 tip to the cleaners.I brought my passat in for a routine oil change at 30,000 and also to take off my nokian all weather tires and put the original performance tires back on in anticipation for the spring that is taking its time to get to the northeast. The tech said that my rear brakes were worn almost to the metal. I found this hard to believe as I am easy on the brakes and never replaced brakes in my previously owned nissan or honda until almost 50,000miles. Anyhow, he said it would cost $400.00.
    After they revived me and picked me off the floor I gave the OK because I was already in the shop and service appointments are hard to get. I asked him it would be much cheaper to have it done in sears or midas , he replied probably, but only by $75- 100.00.
     I can not understand how my rear brakes could have been so worn that there was no signs, no metallic noises, no reduced braking, no warning lights.
    The service report states that they replaced 2 brake disks, one lining, performed rear brake service including rotors and pads, serviced calipers.
    Has anyone else had this job done and if so was it as much? Is there any brake warning on the passat?
    Thanks so much in advance for your time to answer this posting.
    PS I just received a form to complete joining a class action suit against VW for the coil fiasco. Unfortunately except for major stress and inconvience , I did not have any out of pocket expenses.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Posts: 2,363
    ...are a common problem on the Passat. 25k miles is not unusual. Go to the "Passat Owners - Problems and Solutions Board" and have a look at the latest post. There have been others.

I wouldn't be surprised if the problem isn't as simple as the rear pads being a fraction of the thickness of the fronts. Honda has acquired a rep for carrying this to extremes, as well, on some recent Accords.
  • brwalterbrwalter Posts: 20
    Re your questions, I can answer one: the ignition coil. Yes, completely fixed. (THe question has been discussed a lot on this board--maybe do a search - but yes, with an '04, not an issue.)

I don't know the answer to the other two questions. I've had my own 1.8T for only 6 months, so we'll see, but I'm hoping it will last a long time - it's a great ride. Makes all the driving I have to do less of a drag. The safety features were a factor for me, too; ESP was good to have this last winter.

Anyway, good luck with your decision!
    The price you were quoted for all the work done sounds fairly reasonable. It is a bit high, but if they replaced, rotors and pads and serviced your brake system (Fluid) it sounds about right. I have also heard of rear brake issues on the Passat. Good luck!!
    . . .on my 2000 and 2001 Audi A6's "went fast" too. This may be no consolation other than to confirm that this from VW's 1st cousin (Audi) would seem to corroborate the short life span of older VW and Audi brakes.

By way of comparison, my 2003 Audi allroad (A6 based) has 26,000 and all brakes are factory standard, normal and have just under 50% of their "life left."

Of course all my Audis eat tires in under 20K miles.

You know, I get real excited about a lot of the VW products, I test drive them, I like them and then I get a lease quote on them -- and ya know what? I factor in the no charge for nuttin' 'cept tires and registration/plates aspect of the Audi and I run away from the VW cause they seem less costly to buy but more costly to own, so I -- thus far -- stick with the Audi since I don't have the $400 brake fix surprise or the $80 wiper blade surprise, etc.

I know our good friend VWGUILD says that 100% maintenance + the 50,000 mile warranty isn't doable due to "volume" -- but I would PAY "a flat amount extra" for 100% free everything for 50,000 miles in a heartbeat.

The W8 looks so attractive from every aspect 'cept maintenance.

Of course that's jus' my opinion. . .
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,428
    Still original after 106,000 miles. 2000 1.8t Wagon Manual tranny.

If your brakes were not squeeking you probably had some life left in them. Why did they replace the rotors? They can usually be resurfaced once with no adverse effects. BTW sears charges somewhere around $100 for rear disc brakes (resurfaced). I would avoid that dealer in the future.
  • I'm not an attorney, but I can read.

In Virginia, the lemon law applies after 3 or more attempts at correcting a non-conformity (you will need to look up what Virginia considers non-conformity). As you have described, VW has only had 1 attempt at correcting the non-conformity.

More important though, in Virginia, the lemon law rights period is 18 months after date of original delivery of new car to the consumer. As you have had the car 3 years, you are basically SOL in using the lemon law.
    I dunno...I've read lots of posts around the web about NOT cutting VW/Audi rotors. Supposedly they're on the thin side to save weight and cutting them brings them outside of tolerance. Conversely, the other point I've read is that the rotors tend to warp after cutting. Take your pick...when I do brakes (and I'm gonna do'em myself if it happens in warm weather), I'm replacing the rotors. Internet pricing is not that much for the OEM rotors - I think it's a worthy investment, especially since I keep a car for so long.
  • I bought a 2004 automatic Passat GLS 4cyl. in mid-February and after the second week, during a weekday, my car failed to start after 3 attempts. By the fourth attempt, the car did start - and I regret not reporting this incident to the local dealership at that time. By the third week, however, on a Monday, my car required 7 attempts to start the engine. I called Roadside assistance, the selling dealership, and the dealership closest to my house to schedule the earliest appointment. The earliest date I received was 2 weeks later. The next day, Tuesday, my car required 5 attempts to start the vehicle. I finally received the selling dealership's willingness to fix my car the following day. I dropped my car off at the dealership on Tues. night, the dealership/service dept. replaced my ignition switch on wed. afternoon, and I took my Passat home that Wed. evening. On Thurs. morning, my car wouldn't start after two attempts. I called Roadside assistance, a tow-truck arrived, and the tow-truck owner tried to start my car with no luck. The selling dealership replaced the power supply relay, rested and reset the computer - and I took the car home on Friday evening.

After this experience, I requested from the selling dealership, and then VW of America, a replacement vehicle or a full refund. This morning I received both dealerships' negative response to my request and their decision to adhere to the existing warranty. At this stage, I may have to wait until my car has problems for the third time before I can invoke Virginia's lemon law. However, VW's customer service has been so poor and the problems with my car after only 3 weeks leads me to consider other options. I would appreciate any feedback on similar Passat experiences, and advice on next steps.
    "lemon law." Check out your state's requirements. Maybe worth a call to some of those law firms that specialize in lemon law issues.

On the other hand, once they figure it out, you'll probably be good to go.
  • Did the power supply relay replacement and computer reset fix the problem? Or are you still having difficulty starting?

I do not own a VW (yet - still considering), but have had initial quirks with a new car in the past. A faulty component does not imply the car is a lemon. The customer service may suck (this seems to be a common theme, regardless what brand is discussed), but as long as they are honoring the warranty - there is not much more to be expected, IMHO. Would suggest to see if problem still persists, or if it was indeed fixed. I know the problem was annoying, but do try to enjoy your new car.
  • HCLEMOHCLEMO Posts: 19
    I purchased a 1.8T 4 motion 5 speed manual Passat (leatherette, sunroof, winter pkg) for $22999--VW and the dealer were kicking in $2000 in rebates, I felt the price was very close to what I should pay, based on Consumer Reports and Edmunds. Since I felt the price was reasonable, I did not haggle.

I was a chicken and added a 4 yr 100K extended warranty since this will be a commuter car for me (high mileage). Hopefully I won't need this, but I have been burned in the past on a 95 Ford Windstar and a 98 VW Cabrio.

I drove it back from Fredericksburg (got it at Ted Britt VW) to Richmond VA (home) on I-95. It ran nicely at up to 80.

Overall, my first impression is that of a well put together car. Of course, what is more important is how I feel about this car after 2 years!
    Congrats on your new Passat purchase.
  • justinjustin Posts: 1,918
    so are everyone's V6 Passats holding up well? referring to 02 and newer....

thanks.
  • r2s2r2s2 Posts: 93
    I have a 2001.5 Passat GLX FWD (early 2002 without the four year warranty -- augh). The V6 has done fine. It's of course the Audi V6, not the VW VR6, and was not included in the coilpack recall. Have had no problems except VW's trademarked rattles and squeaks, with which long-time VW owners are familiar. The worst of these was in the headliner over the driver, and was repaired according to a tech service bulletin.

I did get an extended warranty, and I like the car so much that when the 3 year lease is up next month I'm going to buy it.