Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Passat 2005 and earlier

Comments

• rampedramped Member Posts: 358
    Head airbags (I am assuming you mean side curtains) are available on many midsize, affordable models, although it may be hard to track them down.

The Honda Accord, Toyota Camry, Nissan Altima and Mazda 6 can all be equipped with side curtain airbags for $22-23K. In fact, you can spend about $19K and get those features in the Honda and Toyota. VW does have an advantage with its electronic stability control, which is offered only by the Camry in the above sedans, and that will require a ticket of over $25,000.
  • catherine9catherine9 Member Posts: 31
    Actually, I meant head airbags and side airbags, and last year I could only find them on top-of-the-line models of Toyota and Honda. Maybe this year there're on more models.
  • ian18ian18 Member Posts: 133
    I have been told that VW has terminated Bosch as a supplier and is now going to use NGK. The likely reason is the recent coil pack fiasco.

Can anyone confirm this?
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    Yes, at the moment, the Accord [for example] has these only on certain EX models that look [on paper] more expensive than a comparable Passat. However, in the real world, leather-equipped 4 cyl EX Accord sedans are easily obtainable for $21k-$22k, not a whole lot different from average transaction prices for GL Passats, never mind GLS.

If you can wait for the '05 model year, Honda intends to make side and head bags more widely available on all of their cars. They have committed to making them standard equipment by 2006. I'm less familiar with Toyota's offerings, but if it were my money, and someone were absolutely forcing me to buy a car in this class in the next 6 months, I'd buy an Accord EX 4 cyl automatic. I love the way the Passat drives, but it comes with the baggage of a host of well-known problems, not the least of which is the dealer group that seems so clueless about solving problems in the first place. Honda dealers don't set any records there, either, but my experience is that they are better, and most importantly, you'll generally have fewer problems to deal with for starters.

It pains me to say this - I think the Passat TDI diesel is a wonderful car - but it is hard to recommend the brand these days.
    You are correct that Honda is expected to make side curtains available on all its Accords next year. Also, Mazda will put side curtains on all of its Mazda 6 sedans, except the 4 cylinder base versions. I believe side curtains are standard on Subaru's new lineup.

VW must do something to reassure potential buyers that it can build a reliable product because it's losing one of its biggest selling advantages - excellent standard safety equipment. In coming years, just about all midsize products will offer similar safety packages.
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    I think a certain group of people will buy VWs over and over no matter how bad reliability is or gets in the future.
    They like the looks and style inside and out. It is a fashion statement and they will cover their eyes and ears towards any warnings of questionable reliability.
  • bjbird2bjbird2 Member Posts: 647
    VW's are not just a fashion statement, although VW design is some of the world's best, inside and out for the $$.
    It's also the fact that these cars perform so well, which is exclusive of reliability. That's what brings customers back, even with the reliability issues.
  • meandeanmeandean Member Posts: 13
    I have a 2004 GLX and have had no problems -- bought the car in March and have over 4,000 miles on it. Also own a 2000 GLS 1.8 turbo that has, for the most part, been reliable (only minor issues like a sensor for the windshield washer that went bad and cost over $100 to fix).
    VW's are beautiful cars with outstanding detail and quality. All of those factors drew me to the showroom.

But, before I signed, all the reliability questions and the high cost of replacement parts hit me and I walked away. I'm 20 miles away from the nearest dealer and rely on my car for both work and hauling my kids to school every day. Reliability is too important for me to risk buying a VW right now. But those Passats tempting!

Hopefully, things will get better and just about all VW owners can have positive experiences.
    I don't think the VW reliability is so bad that it would leave you and your kids stranded (they do have road side assistance :)
    I've never had a problem with the car breaking down and not being driveable. My problems have been irritating, but some of that is because I'm a nitpicker, and I expect my cars to be perfect.
    I still love my Passat. I think if VW had their reliability in order, they would own the market, uncontested. VW's are so much more fun to drive than the competition.
  • vwconcernvwconcern Member Posts: 5
    After all we've been through --2000 jetta lemon - 2002 passat with many "service actions", recalls, and many other issues including a faulty monsoon sound system that completely crashed and also blew out speakers listening to npr?, car stolen from dealers lot while in for oil change and the dealer treated us like we were the criminals...

nope, never again --the cars are not reliable and the dealers are all of the lowest quality I've ever experienced(and we gave them plenty of opportunities to prove themselves otherwise)

I think we're going to try the Acura TSX. Yes - its only been out a year and yes it has a few rattles....a few rattles will sound like a Beethoven symphony compared to the @#$% we've been through with vw.

And just for the record...mark my words....the vw passat will not be the highest rated sedan for Consumer Reports when all the facts are in. I think the TSX will outshine it with ease. The reason my wife and I purchased vws in the first place was partially because of Consumers report...now we know better--1st hand.
  • profvhprofvh Member Posts: 31
    To vw concern: Even tho you have had a bad experience with your cars and dealer not everyone
    by any means has had the same problem. We have
    had a 2002 Passat GLS 1.8 Tip for nearly 2 1/2 years
    and it has been and is outstanding. It has 28,000
    troublefree miles on it (only exception: one burned out headlight). The dealer (Demontrond of
    Houston) has been excellent. The oil changes are
    done in a matter of minutes. We have a grandson
    whose parents are super particular about babyseat
    safety. I have had two different babyseats
    installed in the car when they come into town.
    With both cases I had the service dept at VW
    install them. They did it within a few minutes
    of when I brought the car in (no app't) and did
    it without charge. Even with the one headlight
    that went out (about 10,000 miles), they said they
    would replace the other matching headlight as they
    thought it would probably go out at some point.

This car is as tight as the day we bought it. It
    is still showroom perfect with a couple of paint
    scratches excepted. I have owned 5 Accord sedans
    before buying this Passat. Only one of the 5
    was troublefree (problems with trannys, suspension
    cv boots). And the one Accord that I really loved
    blew a headgasket at 135,00 miles. We are very
    pleased with VW. Based on what I have read I
    would suggest buying from a good dealer. We have
    alot of choices here in Houston.
    I've never had a problem with my VW dealer, Tom Wood VW in Indianapolis. They are the best dealer I've ever dealt with for service, including the Infiniti dealer I bought my previous car from. They offer a loaner if the service will take more than 1 day, they offer shuttle service, and they seem genuinely concerned and determined to correct any problems.
    My only issue is with the car, and the amount of service it has required. I think my 02' 1.8T is one one the top cars for driving pleasure I've owned, and I I've had about 28 cars, running the gamut from Porsches to Infinitis. The VW reliability has been mediocre, and I only put up with it because the car is so much fun to drive. ] So far the repairs have not been a big inconvenience, just minor irritations.
  • platolaplatola Member Posts: 8
    I'm having difficulty finding 5-speed Passats in and around L.A. One dealership only had one (in a GLX 6) available to test drive, and others I've called are telling me they have none on the lot. Dealers also tell me my color/options choices could be limited if I go with a 5-speed because they're so hard to come by.

Of course, I'm aware that manual transmission is not the most popular choice for a mid-size sedan, but considering that most reviews of the GLS recommend the 5-speed over automatic, you'd think think enough people would be asking for them that they'd be more available -- especially in an area as big as L.A. I guess everyone here needs to have their hands free for their cell phones!

I've noticed several people here indicating they own manual Passats, in both GLS and GLX trims. Did any of you have trouble finding them?

And while we're on the subject, any thoughts regarding the manual GLX vs. automatic GLX? When I test drove the GLX 5-speed, it seemed a little loose (not sure how else to describe it), and the engine was so quiet I wasn't even sure when to shift without looking at the gauge.
    I'm sorry I can't help with the 5-speed search in la- except to say I wouldn't consider a vw.

I owned an automatic 2002 passat because of the traffic in la. I have a manual truck and although I thought I'd never own an automatic -- in la, it's the only way for me to survive. Not because of cell phones, its all the f#$%^&* traffic.

I would highly recommend you try another manufacturer though. Recent vws have been plagued with reliability issues.

and all the vw dealers in la, woodland hills, burbank, glendale, and santa monica (where my car was stolen off their lot - (due to their negligence) while in for oil change are horrible - not just in their day to day treatment of customers but also their treatment of customers when you have a warranty issue - which my car had many.

take a look at the Acura TSX or TL- it looks as sharp and drives similar to vw without the engine reliability issues.

and if my posts can't convince you to keep away from vw - then at least buy the more reliable 6-cyl car(the glx) the 1.8T 4-cyl is plagued with issues ---but the 6-cyl 2004 cars have a bunch too especially the downshifting of the automatic cars - although this won't be a problem for you since you want a manual.

good luck ---i hope whatever car you buy (and its dealerships)treat you better than vw treated my wife and I.
    think yourself lucky - you are the exception not the norm.

most of my friends that have owned a 2000+ jetta or passat have been plagued with serious issues including but not limited to serious engine failures while driving on the freeway

there have been several class action lawsuits against vw since the 2000+ cars(I know because I was approached to participate in several)

vw is in trouble - their reliability and lack of quick correction and oversight has caused the manufacturer huge concerns. This article in USA just touches on the surface of a huge overall vw problem

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2004-05-11-vw_x.htm
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    I just got back from a VW dealer and was talking to them about trading in my Jetta for a new Passat. The price they came back with on the Passat was $21,900. That price is $1,000 BELOW invoice. How is that possible. I know VW is offering incentives, but $1,000 below inv sounds too good to be true. The price of my trade in was right on according to Edmunds and KBB. I don't know if VW is trying to desperately move Passats or what....
  • mazadimazadi Member Posts: 26
    He is not the exception, he is the norm. All cars have reliability problems, it's just an issue of the probability of being one of the people that has a problem. Hondas and Toyotas also have issues, they are just less likely. Unfortunately, VW is more likely to have a problem, but that certainly doesn't mean that most people have problems, it just means that MORE people have problems.

I have a 2001.5 Passat with 36k miles on it. The only problem I've had was a burned out headlight and a burned out light in the dash. Other than that, the car has performed beautifully. The dealer service has also been excellent, from quick reliable service, to getting a loaner car when they have my car for service.

I admit that all of this talk about reliability will make me somewhat apprehensive about my next VW, but I love the way the VW looks, love the way it drives, and have been very happy with the quality of the build.
    Thanks for your reply. I've already had a terrible experience with the Van Nuys VW dealership. When I called to ask if they had any 5-speed Passats I could test drive, the salesman said, "Sure, we have a bunch of them! Come on over!" I spent almost an hour getting there, and when I arrived, they didn't have a single one. Furthermore, the salesman I'd spoken to on the phone tried to convince me -- with a straight face -- that there's no such thing as a 5-speed Passat GLS or GLX. I didn't think tactics like that existed anymore.

The people in Woodland Hills were nicer about it, but similarly clueless. I had to show their salesmen the tech specs in the Passat brochure to convince them there's such a thing as a manual-transmission GLX. Then it took them over an hour to drag a dusty, filthy 5-speed GLS out of the back corner of some lot.

I'm sorry to hear about your experience at the Santa Monica dealership. I was there last weekend, and I noticed the chain link-enclosed lot full of customers' cars -- as well as the uniformed guard, who appeared to be too busy reading a magazine to pay attention to who was entering or exiting the lot. At first I thought he might ask me why I was wandering around near the lot, but quickly realized he wasn't paying any attention.

I am beginning to have second thoughts about the VW. I appreciate that there's a $2000 factory-to-dealer incentive right now, but I see it as a sign of desperation rather than accommodation. The less-experienced salesman I encountered in Woodland Hills told me they haven't sold any V6 Passats since gas prices have spiked. And I wouldn't settle for the 1.8, unless it was a 5-speed.
    It's possible because there is a $2,000 factory-to-dealer incentive on most Passats (I think it's a bit lower for the GL). Edmunds doesn't factor in the incentive when you check the price, because the dealer isn't required to pass it on to you.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Below invoice is not too unusual. There is a dealer holdback and incentives etc., so invoice is not what the dealer actually pays.
    As for the Acura TL, my parents own one, and I test drove it yesterday. Even at 5 years and 45,000 miles, a MUCH better driving experience than the '04 Passat V6 automatic. So much power/acceleration, you have to be careful not to hit the accelerator too hard on city streets. Comfortable to sit in, comfortable to drive (although my parents tell me the seats aren't so great over long drives). And they've had no mechanical problems at all.
    I put a deposit down on my new Passat.

I have narrowed down my choice in colors to Silverstone Gray and Reflex Silver. The only catch is the Silverstone Gray will come in from another dealer and will arrive with between 200 -300 miles or the reflex silver car that only has 15 miles on it. Can't decide which car to go with. Opinions?
    Mark - this is in reference to a post you made back in February. Did you and your friends test drive both the manual 1.8T and the manual GLX? If so, I'm interested in your impressions (if you can remember) of the two. I've now tested both, and felt kind of iffy about the V6 manual - it didn't feel "sporty" enough. The 1.8T manual was really fun to drive, but a bit noisy. A quiet ride is high on my "wish list" this time around, since my last car (a Honda Civic) was so noisy you couldn't even carry on a conversation while driving on the freeway.

Thanks in advance for any input.
    "I have narrowed down my choice in colors to Silverstone Gray and Reflex Silver. The only catch is the Silverstone Gray will come in from another dealer and will arrive with between 200 -300 miles or the reflex silver car that only has 15 miles on it. Can't decide which car to go with."

I'm partial to the Silverstone Gray myself. I guess it depends on whether you can live with someone else getting to drive the first 300 miles on your new car.
  • govangovan Member Posts: 2
    I have a V6 GLS 2000 Wagon. The engine coolant leaked, various light bulbs blew out early, the MLS light keeps going on but other than that it has been relatively trouble free. Does this record seem par for the course for a 4 yo passat?
    I enjoy driving the car very much but would I buy another one? Perhaps not. I feel like I am becoming too old and lead a too busy a life to have to worry about reliability. I am pretty sure the next car I buy will be a Lexus or an Acura. That doesnt mean I wont always hold a special place in my automotive heart for the Passat I once owned.
    Thanks for the reply platola!! I am leaning towards the Reflex Silver car. My Wife has a similar color on her tahoe as the Silverstone Gray, so I think I will go with the Silver and the low miles.

I have a couple of other questions.

1) What brand of tires came with your Passat? Mine will have Continentals......My Jetta came with Michelins, which I actually prefer.

2) I remember reading on this site about the automatic "learning" the drivers driving pattern. Is that true?

Thanks
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    We test drove a V6 4Motion and a manual transmission 1.8T.

The lease price of an Audi A4 quattro 1.8T w/manual, sport suspension, ESP, Xenon lights and upgraded stereo, plus the fun factor convinced us. The GLX 4Motion "would have" been the winna if it had come with a stick shift, the tip transmission made the V6 engine seem anemic. This is what I remember, if we are talking about the same episode.

I often volunteer to go with my friends on test drives, more often than not to shut the sales reps up. The test drives of the Passats and Audis ended up thusly due to lease prices and the availability in the Audi to have both AWD and stick shift.

I have not personally been in an AWD Passat with a 1.8T.

I would not want any Passat, available today, with the possible exception of the W8, with a tiptronic transmission. And, supposedly, the W8 can be had with a stick and a sport suspension -- and supposedly they are, if you can find one, "giving them away."
  • frankfrank Member Posts: 12
    I occasionaly haul lot of stuff (camping trips).
    I would like to make sure my Wagon would not be sluggish fulled loaded. Is it necessary to go with the v6? it is 4000 over the gls price with almost similar main options (ESP+leather).
    Has anybody expereinced heavy load or towing with the 4 cyl?
    Would the chip help in that regard? Thx.
  • feilofeilo Member Posts: 128
    "Would the chip help in that regard?" - I would say, definitely. Most Stage 1 chips substantially boost the torque produced by the 1.8T from stock. For example, the Wetteraruer chip which I run has a claimed torque of ~240 lb.ft. Now while I have not dynoed my Passat to check this claim, the "butt-dyno" says its there - you can feel the extra oomph. LOL.
    Be somewhat wary of a chipped engine that is being asked to tow. The engine may be fine chipped with the normal load, there could be some longentivity/ engine life issues with a chip and an increased load. Probably no short term damage, but possibly heat and stress could shorten the expensive bits lifespan.

I am generally pro chip, I am, in this instance suggesting caution, however.
  • skykingskyking Member Posts: 4
    Purchased a new Passat TDI last month and love it. Just hit 4000 miles in 4 weeks. Average 38.6 MPG at $1.59/Gal. Does anyone know if this engine suffers from the same problem as the Jetta TDI with soot build-up in the intake plenum? Also, tire inflation pressures seem high--36psi/front 44psi/rear. Anyone had any problems??
    Thanks
    Thx to all for your answers on 1.8 versus V6 when carrying load.
    I test drove the two again today and it is definitely the feel of the 1.8 that I prefer. (love the noise believe it or not).
    Anyway, has anybody chipped their 1.8 in the bay area? Any recommended place?
    Thanks.
    I am wondering if anybody had ever add been able to buy a car from a dealer and get a check back at the end considering that the trade in value was higher than the overall price of the new car.
    I am about to trade in my Discovery for the passat but don't want to tell them right up front as I am sure they will be less inclined to give me a good deal. Will appreciate your views on that one. Thx.
  • novanova Member Posts: 135
    SKYKING, Do you mind telling us some of the ifo on your purchase?. options/trans/ model/ and price, THANKS
    Not really sure what your asking....but, I would negotiate a price on the Passat without even telling them you have a trade in. After you are happy with the price advise them of your trade in and go from there. Do you anticipate that the value of your Discovery will be greater than the price of the Passat?
  • feilofeilo Member Posts: 128
    Markincinci has a point. Listen to the man ...
    The VW dealer will have no problem cutting you a check for the difference, but you may want to shop your Discovery at your local Land Rover dealer before finalizing the deal.
    Get your car chipped via Direct Port Programming. This way the engine's chasity belt does not have to be removed, and the chipping is, therefore, virtually undetectable.

Several (2 or 3 that I know of) vendors offer DPP chipping.

Do a dogpile or google search and you will be enlightened!
  • skykingskyking Member Posts: 4
    I purchased the car at Stohlman VW in Tysons Corner, VA. It is a GLS with Leather Package w/wood, Tiptronic, and ESP. MSRP was $27430.00 and I paid $25937.00 which should be $500 over invoice. Rebates and Incentives do not apply to the TDI. I commute 140 per day averaging 70+ MPH. I was concerned about the performance with the Automatic, but it really moves and the shift points are adapted very well for the diesel. Stereo is fantastic, almost as good as the Bose I had in an Acura. The car rides very smooth and is relatively quite at highway speeds-no wind noise. Call Dieter Conrad at 703 893-2990 at Stohlman VW--great salesman--knows what he is talking about. Just watch out for the F and I guy because they are the ones that try to get you to add all the extras and to get you to finance with them. My Bank USAA Federal Savings Bank had much better deals plus they include GAP insurance.
    I am supposed to pick up my new Passat tomorrow. When I was test driving I heard a slight/occasional rattle coming from the dash area. I expressed my concern that with only 10 miles on the car I could already hear this noise. The sales guy said he would take the car out with a Tech. I just received a call and I was told that they did hear a slight rattle, but with the air or radio on they could not detect it. They are going drive another Passat to see if it is a Passat "trait". I just got the call and they said the 2nd Passat was slightly worse.

I said I would come in in the morning and would like to drive the car before any paperwork is done. They said that would not be a problem and if I wanted another car they would accomodate that request.

What do you all think? Opinions?
  • mbros2kmbros2k Member Posts: 71
    I hate car rattles. They can drive you crazy if you let them. But...all cars develop rattles. Passats get them in the dash and doors right away. I have had success stuffing black socks between the windshield and dash, wedging foam in door seams, and tying down loose wires behind the dash by going through the cover where the fuses are located on the driver's side. My first choice wouldn't be to have some tech pull the dash out--It's a jungle in there... I would buy a Rolls Royce if I thought it wouldn't have rattles. Good luck. Maybe you should just drive another car and select one without the rattle... Or better yet, turn up the Monsoon.
  • ian18ian18 Member Posts: 133
    With 15,000 miles on my Passat, there are no rattles or squeaks. Annoying rattles can drive you nuts over time, I have had a couple of cars that had them. I would not spend my good money on a car that had rattles when brand new.
  • birdboy1birdboy1 Member Posts: 39
    It was so comforting to finally read some postings concerning rattles. Fish 8 , thank you. I have a 2002 Passat 1.8 that I love to drive as everyone agrees. I had my headlights replaced, coils blow, and monsoon blew out speakers as well as rear brakes replaced at 30,000.
    The one thing that I can not fix totally is that annoying rattle in the corner of the drivers dash where it meets the glass. It seems to be worst in cold weather and when Idling. I brought it to two dealers both of which made me feel as if I was asking too much for this " little vibration" to be taken care of. One dealer said he could not do anything and the other needed a fully day to take the dashboard apart to find it. I was afraid to let them do that , for the obvious . I have been 90% successful in getting rid of it by wedging clear 1"tubing between the dash and the window.
    I have tried all sorts of things and this seemed to work but I do like the black sock idea, However should any of us need to go through this?
    I was also advised not to use any hard objects as they can be launched at you if put near the side impact bag.
    I picked up my New Passat Sat and I really love it. There is a slight rattle in the dash, but if the radio is on the noise is not detectable. As I stated in my previous post, the deaker drove another Passat and it had the same noise. Maybe this is just a feature of this car. Other than this noise, this is the nicest and best built car I have ever owned. I only have about 50 miles on it so updates will soon follow.
  • alyssazmomalyssazmom Member Posts: 142
    Help! My passat's leather stinks! The smell doesn't bother DH but it makes my stomach turn. I thought it was just pregnancy hormones (3 months pregnant with I bought the car) and we loaned the Passat out to my in-laws for several months (we bought me a 1999 Sienna XLE minivan that I LOVE). Well, the in-laws are moving out of the country this fall so we're selling the Sienna and I'm back into the Passat!

Normally this would be fine (even though I'll be hanging off of the rear bumper as my Sienna gets driven away with it's new owners) but I can not get over how badly the leather smells... or maybe its the interior off gassing?

Either way, has anyone else experience this? Any solutions? DH wants me to contact VW to see if they have had any complaints.

I drove the Passat 3 weeks ago for the first time since January and it still smells....

Thanks,

Carrie ~2003 VW Passat GLS Candy White, tan interior
    Smells like what? Leather? I've never met anyone who didn't like the smell of leather.
  • altair4altair4 Member Posts: 1,469
    We've got the leather in our 2003. I can't say that I really even notice the smell of it anymore (although I frequently condition it). Sorry that I can't help.

PS: Are you sure it's the leather? Can you describe the smell? If it's a moldy smell, could be from the air conditioner (Einszett sells a product to clean the system). Or it could be water in the carpeting. I suggest that you feel the carpet on the passenger side, front and rear, to see if it's wet.
  • alyssazmomalyssazmom Member Posts: 142
    I'm just assuming its the leather but it could be the dashboard materials or something else within the car. It's not a moldy smell but an off gassing chemical smell. My in-laws haven't said a word about it and they've been driving it for months now. Its worse when its been in direct sunlight.

My husband suggested getting the leather interior treated thinking that would mask the smell. I have a very sensitive nose, even cigerette smoke bothers me, not in an allergic way but just the smell of it.

Thanks!

Carrie
    How new is your Passat? All new cars have a certain "new car smell" that most people long to keep. I just picked up my new Passat Saturday and there definately is a certain new car smell. I love the smell though. The smell comes from a concotion of new materials, glues and chemicals that make up an automobile's interior. There really is no way to rid the carof the smell, except to just drive it and eventually most cars will rid itself.

If someone could package and sell that "new car smell" they would make a fortune. Maybe you should of bought a used vehicle that had lost it's scent.