Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Nissan Maxima

Comments

• Options
    ineto6ineto6 Member Posts: 161
    I think that it is a "feature" for the radio to be not as loud as the CD player. I've read that for those who drive the Acura also and for me too. So I wouldn't worry about it.
  • Options
    frank97frank97 Member Posts: 9
    Take a look at Edmunds's incentives page to see if they have any current incentives or rebates on the maxima. This page gets updated regularly.
    http://www.edmunds.com/edweb/holdback.html
  • Options
    pdworpdwor Member Posts: 3
    To anyone, especially JAmber

I have a new 2000 GLE, oxymoron, I know, but it hadn't been titled, about 150 miles, auto, roof, 6 disc, very nice, which I got for 23,300, which seemed like a very good deal to me. And, I am very happy with my car. I like everthing about it, EXCEPT I have wind noise from the rear passenger door, which seems to be getting worse. When I test drove the car, it seemed that I could only hear it above 75. Now, only a couple of weeks and few hundred miles later, I can hear it at 45. After reading your post, I looked at the small rear window, and I can actually see water drops inside the glass against the interior weatherstripping. None on the other side.

My maybe problem is that I bought the car from a dealer a couple of yours away after a family member drove it, and liked it, but bought a TL. The following week, after looking at the car on the web site, I noticed they dropped the price 1200 bucks, drove up one night, traded my Altima w/150000 miles and bought it.

Therefore, I would like to get this addressed at my local dealer, from whom I bought my Altima, but don't know how happy they will be to help me.The more info. you can send me, likely the better. I drive on the highway a lot, and the noise likely will be pretty annoying in a car I otherwise really enjoy. Thanks for your help, and sorry for the long post.
  • Options
    norbert444norbert444 Member Posts: 195
    The dealer makes money on any warranty repairs. As a rule then, they ought to be happy you "honor" them with your Max problem...
  • Options
    borsystborsyst Member Posts: 30
    I agree with Norbert, the dealer should have no problem taking care of your problem. Even if you didn't buy it from them, they would honor it. I've bought cars from other dealers because I was getting a better deal, and then brought to a closer dealer to get serviced/warranteed. I did it with my 94 Altima (which by the way, I still have with 152,000 miles.) Curious, how much did you get for your Altima on trade-in?
  • Options
    I got 1700, but, while the cars engine was very very good, the body had several bangs scrapes. I recently was hit and got some damage to the front quarter panel. That damage alone would have been around 1400 to fix. So, I decided to keep the check and spend it on a new Maxima. I had planned to buy one this summer anyway, and the car I got seemed like a very good deal, so I did it. Only the driver's window worked, original clutch. With the exception of the windows, that was a good car for the money. I likely could have sold it for more myself, but lack of time is an issue for me. Plus, the dealer's body shop could probably touch the car up at no profit, and then sell the car on the wholesale lot. Dealer was a CARMAX place. I enjoyed driving the Altima for eight years.

I will let you guys, or girls, what happens with the window. I was looking at the Infinite I30 board after I posted, and not suprisingly, a lot of them have the same issue. No real reports of success on that board from their dealers. I try not to be a complainer, but this should not happen in a new car at this price level. Maybe if enough people bring it to Nissans attention they will come up with a fix and/or a TB, as it appears to me that those are a big help in getting issues addressed. Thanks
  • Options
    macdaddy5macdaddy5 Member Posts: 5
    HI EVERYONE! I RECENTLY BOUGHT A 2001 MAX. SE,LOADED,AUTO,FOR $25785.00.FELT LIKE I GOT A GOOD DEAL. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY INFORMATION ABOUT PROPER BREAK-IN PROCEDURE FOR THE CAR?KEEP GETTING DIFFERENT OPINIONS FROM DEALERS. ALSO,WHAT'S THE BEST OIL AND FILTER TO USE FOR THIS CAR(SYNTHETIC OR REGULAR) THE MAX DRIVES LIKE A CHAMP!THANKS!
  • Options
    eblumeblum Member Posts: 52
    Just wanted to add my 2 cents...

Joenissan- Sorry to say but the car does not have to be un-driveable...you have to show that there are safety issues (brakes wear out every 4,000 miles) or that they can't fix your problems (sunroof replaced 3 times)

I personally sued GM and won, so this is from first hand experience.

Where is the cheapest place to get floormats for my 2000 Max?

-Eric
  • Options
    slopedirkslopedirk Member Posts: 46
    Dealers typically don't train sales guys to know much about the mechanics of the cars they sell, so you'd get a different break in answer at every dealer I'm sure.

There is no "right" answer either, so with that in mind, I'd conservatively recommend going about 2-4000 miles w/o revving it above 4000, and avoid hard accelleration from standing start. Also if on a highway, its best to vary the load by varying speed. Avoid keeping one speed for a long time. On the first oil change, do it after about 2000 miles and do the filter. Subsequent oil changes can be 4-5000 miles unless you are hard on the motor IMHO. Remember to check oil at gas fills, as first few changes the new engine will be using more oil as rings seat. Use regular oil for first 10,000 in my opinion, as synthentics like mobil 1 (my choice) are so slick you won't get much breakin seating of rings and such with going to synth. too early.

There will be other opinions, but use your own judgement. If you're only keeping on a 3 year lease, go ahead and dog it. I keep my cars a long time and take it easy so they will be brokein right.

Slope
  • Options
    nat030nat030 Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for the point-out -- nothing new noted for Nissans at the link. Does this mean that the dealer cost is pretty close to (invoice-holdback)?

Take care,
  • Options
    joenissanjoenissan Member Posts: 313
    Thanks...It seem Canadiancl, and you (amungst others) are right...and I was wrong. Thanks for the posts guys.

Joe
  • Options
    vetmed3vetmed3 Member Posts: 38
    Play taps for my Maxima GLE (2000)engine. When the first cam broke,it shattered like a grenade in a bunker.
    Nissan has agreed to replace the engine after they allowed the mechanic to do more of an autopsy. I don't know whether to be happy or sad.
  • Options
    Be happy. You'll now have a new engine, you'll never know the difference, and have a free extended warranty.

Joe
  • Options
    canadianclcanadiancl Member Posts: 1,078
    This is off topic. Just read the Motor Trend article on the new Z. I love it. I think it'll sell like hotcakes if they hit the target MRSP. Can you offer any insider's info? Will we be getting 300hp? Final shape close to the show car's?
  • Options
    Unfortunately, I'm about as "OUTSIDE" as you folks are on most Z info. What I do know, and have already seen, are some pics of the production model (or VERY close to production I should say). The front lights are different, the grill is also different, as is the rear end and lights. The Door handles are also different on the prod. version.
    As for the power......I have no more info than whats been reported already. It'll be a version of the 3.5 VQ engine with Nissans variable valve timing, and 280HP...although I predict closer to 300HP.
    The proiduction car is MUCH nicer than the show car, and more realistic.

Joe
  • Options
    bigdad3bigdad3 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 1990 Maxima that runs fine but all of
    a sudden the right rear Bose powered speaker is
    making a rattling sound. I assume that the speaker
    has gone bad. Has anyone else had this problem
    and what is the best solution-take it to the
    dealer for a replacement or try and find a
    speaker myself and try to fix it.
    I am assuming that a new speaker will be pretty
    costly if available at all.
  • Options
    Dealers usually have whats called a Bose exchange program, allowing you to get a speaker replacement cheaper than if purchased new. They get refurbished components from Bose that are as good as new.
    What's probably happend is the amp at that speaker has gone bad...and you can't just replace one part because the amp and speaker are combined as one unit, unlike a regular stereo where the amp is built into the headunit, the Bose systems, up until 99, place an amp at each speaker (except the "A" piller tweeters).

Joe

Joe
  • Options
    jamberjamber Member Posts: 21
    pdwor,

The Service Manager told me that Nissan must have made the glass too small or used too thin or not enough weather stripping in the small rear side windows. He said they had a few complaints. Mine was the first and now they know how to fix the others which are Maximas and Altimas. I did not hear mine at first, it was a couple weeks after I got my Max that I first noticed it, then it did get worse, first only at 70mph then a few days later at 55mph. I'm so glad they fixed it, what a huge difference. The car is so quite now, (except the squeaky a/c fan that started a week ago, which I need to bring in). If you want to call my Service Manager or have your Service Manager call mine to discuss the fix his name is Matthew Menihan (407) 657-9500. He has been great to me, I'm sure he won't mind helping.
    Good luck!

I just noticed that my Maxima does not have a key hole on the passenger side front door! I would not use it anyway since it has the keyless entry...

I love my Maxima!
    -Jamber
  • Options
    max2001max2001 Member Posts: 63
    Joe,

There seems to be a rattle coming from the rear parcel shelf of my 01 max. I don't have Bose, so there is no sub. Is there anything you seen that might be the culprit (child restraint tethers, etc)? Anyone else have suggestions or thoughts?

Afterburner: thanks for the useless post! Lets please try and stay on topic - maximas.
  • Options
    speedracer3speedracer3 Member Posts: 650
    Have you heard anything about the 2002 Altima?. A guy at the Maxima.org who works for Nissan claims that the Smyrna plant produced the first few Altimas for show/display and claims it is a handsome car. Other than the sketches from Freshalloy, have you seen it??.

Thanks

Speed
  • Options
    I haven't come across any complaints about the rear shelf except for as you said...the Bose subwoofer but......What you can do is fold down both rear seats, and carefully bang on the shelf to see if you can get it to rattle...sometimes the grommets that seat the cover to the actual shelf are not fully seated and a simple push on each one will seat it. If that doesn't help, bring it in and have the dealer worry about fixing it.

Speed....No..I've seen only what others have seen..and they were only artist renderings. I do know the new Altima will be offering a new V6 option....will still have the SuperToe rear suspension, and be a bit larger.
    Sorry I don't have more info but...if I do get some...I'll pass it on.

Joe
  • Options
    kyleknickskyleknicks Member Posts: 433
    anyone have one installed? i know someone that has one installed in his 2k SE, and im getting one installed in mine this week. i wonder if and how car starters affect the Vehicle disabling system in the Max. anyone know??
  • Options
    In the past, I have used a "stethoscope" to help me locate noises. It is simply a piece of tube, one end of which goes in your ear, while the other end is moved above the engine (my case) or the rear shelf (your case) to see where it makes the unwanted sounds.

If you are a doctor, you might use the real scope, too. I think the airline ear piece should also work.

BTW, I noticed the 'crayola' artist's rendering in that earlier post today has disappeared. I take it to mean that our host is watching and keeping our Max house clean! :-)
  • Options
    Thanks. I am going to have it looked at some weekend when I don't need it, whenever that is.
  • Options
    kamacowkamacow Member Posts: 1
    Where can I buy the 2000 Maxima SE wheels??
    Have a 2000 GXE and would like to put those SE wheels.
  • Options
    cabowabodudecabowabodude Member Posts: 45
    Burner,

Sorry you can't even get my name right! I am still here and check in every once in a while. I am going to the Chicago auto show on monday. I am going to check to see if the new MAX is going to offer the 3.5 260HP like motortrend says for 2002. If this is the case, I am going to buy a 2002 with the current body style and a smoking 260 ponnies, and the wife will have to keep the 01SE. So burner, I am to excited about finding out what 2002 Max entails...to be joe's twin...besides..I got to be better looking then JOE......(sorry joe).... I will keep the board interested in what I find at the Chicago auto show. If anybody else has a question, let me know and I will be all over the NISSAN folks...I am going on Monday!
  • Options
    blackjacklvblackjacklv Member Posts: 3
    My Mom has a 2000 Maxima GLE and has complained to me on several times that her car makes funny noises coming from the right front of the car. She says it often occurs while making a turn. I took it to the dealer and they couldn't find anything...what a suprise. I even took the mechanic for ride to see if i could make this noise occur...no luck. Any ideas on what this could be?
  • Options
    robertrrobertr Member Posts: 125
    Sounds like the same noise my 2000SE had. Occurred most frequently when making left turn downhill out of Tim Horton's driveway. Crunching, rattly noise from right front, very intermittent so can't reproduce at will. Dealer lubricated top of the strut towers, I have not noticed it since.
  • Options
    kyleknickskyleknicks Member Posts: 433
    well, i guess no one else has installed a starter on their max....

I went into the alarm place today and asked for them to install one ...they said that they needed an extra key which is placed inside a transitor box or something that's hidden inside the dash...this way, the car starter will work. Im guessing it has to do with the Vehicle immobilize system.... I'm going to ask this guy that i know about his starter on his 2K max. just sounded wierd that they need an extra key placed inside the car. anyone know anything about this??
  • Options
    xxlaxxxlax Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 GXE which is getting 21 - 22.5 MPG. and it doesn't change much between highway and suburban driving. Dealer tells me that this is not unusual and won't do anything unless the "engine check" light is on. Now, I traded in a 95 GXE which consistently got 26-28 MPG and my question is "Is this normal for the 2001 model because of the HP increase?" Love the car otherwise..
  • Options
    cheerioboy26cheerioboy26 Member Posts: 412
    xxlax - I have 13.5k on my 2000, and have averaged about 21.5 overall. I get 25 or so on the highway, and as low as 18 in town if all i do is sit in traffic (common here in DC)
  • Options
    xxlaxxxlax Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 GXE which is getting 21 - 22.5 MPG. and it doesn't change much between highway and suburban driving. Dealer tells me that this is not unusual and won't do anything unless the "engine check" light is on. Now, I traded in a 95 GXE which consistently got 26-28 MPG and my question is "Is this normal for the 2001 model because of the HP increase?" Love the car otherwise..
  • Options
    cachetcachet Member Posts: 6
    My 2000 GLE gets roughly 25mpg on mostly hwy driving and just under 20 in the city, slightly less than the epa estimate. One thing I thought was odd is that I seem to get better mileage using regular unleaded (87) than premium (92). Also dont notice any performance differences using either. Possibly this is due to the mild winters here in Phoenix and the low elevation at or near sea level.
  • Options
    sascuderisascuderi Member Posts: 73
    If it happens again take the car back to the dealer and tell him tha Nissan has issued a TSB concerning Right front strut noise. Maybe this is the problem.

Service Bulletin Number: NTB00030A
    Bulletin Sequence Number: 139
    Date of Bulletin: 0006
    NHTSA Item Number: SB613978
    Make: NISSAN
    Model: MAXIMA
    Year: 2000
    Component: SUSPENSION:INDEPENDENT FRONT
    Summary: SERVICE INFORMATION REGRDING RIGHT FRONT STRUT NOISES. *TT
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Service
  • Options
    I've seen a few sets of the 17's on Ebay...you can check there.

COWA.....It's my understanding that it's the 03 Maxima with the 3.5 250HP but only in the SE-R trim. And then in 04, a completely newly styled Maxima with the larger size-class, and fully independant suspension....let us know what you find out if that's not the case. I'll be at the NY show in April so...you'll have the info before I will.

Joe
  • Options
    rustytruckrustytruck Member Posts: 6
    I just bought a 96 Maxima GLE auto with 36Kmi and would like to know what I should be doing mechanically in addition to the following:

1) Flush and fill transmission fluid

2) Plugs, oil+filter, air filter, fuel filter I can do myself but I figure the throttle body could use a good cleaning (any DIY-ers out there know how to go about this?)

3) New front tires - Are Yokohama tires OME? Just curious, as I'll probably be replacing with another brand.

Would it be worthwhile to take the car into a dealership for a full check up as the tranny is still under the original warranty or do you think they might suggest a whole host of unnecessary, non-warranty repairs?

Thanks for your comments.
  • Options
    max2001max2001 Member Posts: 63
    Your both right. The SE-R is supposed to be introduced late 2002 as 2003 model. I have heard reports that it will 260 hp and also heard 250 Hp. So i guess we'll just have to wait and see. Hope they go higher rather than lower.
  • Options
    ineto6ineto6 Member Posts: 161
    max2001 Feb 8, 2001 12:06pm

I'd say the new Maxima probably will get 250Hp.... why? Considering the Maxima had 160HP > 190HP > 222HP so a lift up to 250 is about right. Who knows for sure, but it is unlikely to exceed the new Z.

In any case, it will do well in its intended class.
  • Options
    cabowabodudecabowabodude Member Posts: 45
    I will find out what they say at the Chicago auto show. Motortrend says in their "future car update" that the Max will get 260ponnies in 2002. They also say that the Altima will move up to be in the Max's body style for 2002. So why would they introduce a Altima with the 3.0 V6 and have the Max be the same for 2002??? I am thinking that the Max is going to get the 3.5 260HP this year, so they can work the bugs out of it (in the Max's body). I know that the Max is not the same as the TL, but that is going to get 260HP, I sure in the heck don't think Nissan would be dumb enough to underpower the Max. Yes, I think everyone can agree that in 2003 the Max is going to get a bigger body and more HP! But if Nissan cranks out 260HP with the current body....HOLLY COW!!.....count me in baby....I can't wait until monday!!!
  • Options
    The new Altima is actually rumored to be having an optional 240HP VQ....I wouldn't count on that either. With those HP numbers, that would put the larger Maxima (even with 250HP)in jeopardy.
    The new QR series 4 banger with 175HP is probably a shoe-in, I can only see maybe the last VQ with 190HP as being "safe" as the optional engine.

Rusty....I would at least suggest taking it to the dealer for a good check-over...you don't have to have the work done there. And no....most good dealers won't just start replacing parts for no reason but....you do have to be sure to find a good one...ask around in your area.

Joe
  • Options
    The North American version of the 5th Generation Maxima is exported one other country (that I know of) other than the U.S. and Canada. Do you know which country enjoys the same Maxima we do??.

BTW..this country has both the Cefiro AND Maxima models offered in their lineup.

guesses?
  • Options
    20012kse20012kse Member Posts: 15
    I just attended the Chicago Auto Show. The nissan person implied the Maxima would get a new engine for 2002, but would not go into much detail. Enjoy the show this weekend joenissan, are you driving to chicago or taking the train.
  • Options
    maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    .....Taiwan, I believe Speedracer.
  • Options
    maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    I ment imported.
  • Options
    BINGO!!

You got it!....other than Mexico which I didn't mention in my initial post, Taiwan gets both the Maxima and the Cefiro!.

here is the link in for Nissan Taiwan

http://www.nissan.com.tw/maxima/index.asp
  • Options
    borsystborsyst Member Posts: 30
    Kyle, I'm not positive, but I remember back in Maxima Part 2 or so, there was a discussion on this topic (not that I expect you to go check). But what I remember is that you can use the valet key as the extra key, because it has the chip that you need to start the car due to the vehicle immobilization system ( or whatever its called).
  • Options
    frank97frank97 Member Posts: 9
    I saw a few posts from another conference about the auto show. All the people were told that the maxima would be getting the 3.5L engine. I'm sure Joenissan you will be told the same thing at the Chicago show.
  • Options
    whackowhacko Member Posts: 96
    I like Maxima people.
  • Options
    umpopaumpopa Member Posts: 37
    Hi!

I also like Maxima people, and that includes you.

-umpopa

P.S.
    Unlike you, though, I find the Maxima rear end is getting more appealing all the time.
  • Options
    Greetings in the lighter tone!! :-)

I thought whacko was also beginning to like the back end of our cars. He stated earlier, that he doesn't own a Max - thus he has to just look at other people's (I mean Max's) rear ends... ;-)

Small print: I hope, whacko, that you will find this post entertaining, given your good-humored nature. However, our host might not like it - thus I hope he will not delete it for a little while at least...