Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Maxima

Comments

• jim7689jim7689 Posts: 15
    I recently purchased a 2001 Maxima GLE. I am a former GM driver and am used to the firm brake pedal, I have noticed that at a stop light I can push the brake pedal almost to the floor with little effort. I contacted the dealer who said that is normal on Maxima's. Maybe it is but it seems soft on the road also Although it does bring me to a stop. Maybe I'm just not used to it yet. Any reply would be appreciated.
    Other than that I love my Max.
  • marsha7marsha7 Posts: 3,676
    aside from the problems I had with my 98 Buick Regal, it did have some of the best brake feel on any car in a long time...depress the brake pedal 1/4 inch and it was rock solid...4 Hondas, brakes worked well but never that "solid" feel, current 2K Intrepid feels like the power brake booster needs to be "turned up" twice as much boost, 2K Sable has decent brakes (Ford cut cost with rear drums instead of disc, so "low tech 1980s")...but, altho I will probably never own another GM product, the brakes had a solid feel...
  • newbie5newbie5 Posts: 25
    Just curious and wanted to know. Thinking of getting one as I have Silver Mist Max and thought nose mask would look sharp. Don't really see too many cars of any make and model with one to tell you the truth on the road. Your thoughts, please. Thanks!!
  • ineto6ineto6 Posts: 161
    I used to have one for my previous Acura - The full nose mask. I usually got lazy and just use the top part most of the time. You'll have to wax the car everytime that you want to put the mask on. The nose mask does makes your car a little more distinctive and does help for long highway trips. Like most accessories, it increases your maintenance time. Your alternative is buying some add-on bug deflector. Now, I don't want to use it on my new car so I'll have to be more careful of paint chip by not driving too fast :)
  • tuhlertuhler Posts: 6
    I am planning on buying a 2001 Maxima SE soon. I'm waiting for my wife's Honda to sell. I just got off the phone with a dealer in Seattle,WA. He is telling me that I can't get a Maxima for the TMV price here on Edmunds. He says that it isn't good business to sell a car for under invoice. I have a dealer lined up to give me the car for the TMV price. What is your guys' take on this? He also said that Nissan is currently offering 3.9% finacing (which we all knew), but that they are also offering $1000 cash back. Has anyone else heard this? Thanks.
  • raybearraybear Posts: 1,776
    My info shows $500 dealer cash plus the financing incentives. Edmunds TMV is a funny sort of calculator, don't just go by what you hear here, got online and collect some quotes, or better yet, make an offer.
  • My friends got a 1992 Nissan Maxima. His manual and everything all just say 1992 Nissan Maxima. They don't say if its a GXE GLS SE Or whatever. I want to know this because I want to know how fast his car is. I own a 1996 Toyota Avalon XLS. Do you think I could beat him?
  • sungbleesungblee Posts: 2
    anyone have any ideas why my 90 maxima would
    hesitate and even cause the steering wheel to vibrate
    when I accelerate, especially at lower speeds. When
    I am going faster, it's not as bad.
    Thanks
  • gnlgnl Posts: 94
    If you're really pushing your brake pedal almost to the floor that's too much. I have a Y2K GLE. The brakes respond very quickly, with just a soft (but definite) push on the pedal. I don't have to push it anywhere near the floor. Try taking your car to another dealer if possible, see what they say.
  • wyosewyose Posts: 7
    I bought my Maxima out of town last month and allowed myself to get ripped off for this add-on item, in part because I was worried about the paint getting chipped on it's drive home along the highway here in Wyoming. Subsequently I found this item, listed as a Nose BRA, on AutoAccessory.com, currently on sale for $74.95.
  • leonivleoniv Posts: 120
    Does anyone know what the "Administrative Fees" are when purchasing a Maxima? I'm assuming all dealers have a fee such as this. I've heard it called an "advertising fee" also, but not all cars are advertised so I wonder if it's an advertising (or admin.) fee or just more $$ for the dealer to pocket. When getting estimates at a Nissan dealer, he added $400 for "Admin. fees". I would also like to know what "Administration" they're doing when I purchase a car to justify such a steep fee. Thanks.

Leon
  • 92drexel92drexel Posts: 153
    My 92 did the same thing this time last year. It would idle rough during low speed (mainly taking off from stop signs and traffic lights).

My problem was a bad fuel injector. The dealer arrived at this conclusion after they checked a few other things (i.e. tune-up, ignition wires, etc). Hopefully you just need a tune-up 'cause an injector job can cost some bucks. How many miles?
  • tgif888tgif888 Posts: 351
    Tell the dealer take off the "Administration fee", or you'll buy somewhere else. This fee just a rip off from the dealer that wants more profit.
  • carbye2carbye2 Posts: 1
    I am ready to buy a 2001 MAX, the advertised prices are getting more and difficult to resist. However, I am devating whether is worth wait for 2002 MAX's extra power. How will the added power affect fuel consumption ? Anybody care to guess?
  • mike9570mike9570 Posts: 4
    I have driven my new Max (4speed auto) for 4000 miles and the mpg has not gone over 22 on the highway. This is at 65mph on cruise control. The dealer says that the car is within facotry specs and that is all I will probably get. This can't be right. Can it? If anyone can advise me on this please e-mail at: msobotkin@aol.com
  • jim7689jim7689 Posts: 15
    GNL- Thanks for the feedback, the brakes stop the car with little effort on the highway. It just seems odd to me that when you are at a light already stopped that the pedal is very soft almost to the floor. I will do as you suggest though.
  • wyosewyose Posts: 7
    My understanding is that Administration fees are Advertising fees, typically $200-$400. This reportedly is a fee charged by Nissan to individual dealers for the advertising that the parent company does in the local area. The dealer has a choice of whether to participate in this arrangement. Once they agree to do so, then the dealer has to pay this amount to Nissan for each car they sell. Apparently most dealers feel entitled to pass this cost directly on to the buyer. You can argue philosophically who should pay the cost, but one of the parties must, once your dealer decides to participate in the Advertising.
  • smoss100smoss100 Posts: 1
    I'm picking up my Maxima SE 5 speed this evening. You need to shop around, but yes the TMV is a great price. The dealers don't want to sell that low, but refer them to Carsdirect.com for comparison. Currently, Nissan is offering $1,000 cash back plus 3.9% financing (60 months) making the deal even more attractive.
  • tony1034tony1034 Posts: 23
    In reference to all the posts regarding gas mileage. I have a 2000 Maxima DE I/ 36,000 miles.
    I have only used Premium fuel in the tank. Usually Texaco 93 Octane or Exxon 93 Octane. I think the Texaco gas may be better. Colleague of mine has 2001 Maxima DE and switched from Exxon to Shell and seen a huge difference. The car is usually driven at highway speeds 50-75mph. I was getting about 22 MPG. I since replaced the air filter with a I&N air filter and noticed an improvement in gas mileage 25 MPG. The I&N filter breathes much better than a paper air filter and as it gets dirty it still breathes well, whereas a paper filter loses performance quickly. I have to admit that I tend to have a lead foot and believe these numbers are fairly decent. I hadn't tried Sunoco's Ultra 94 since I don't have a Sunoco close by me. But when I had a 5.0 Mustang and Sportbike, Ultra 94 was worth the extra money, gas mileage and especially performance.
    Sorry,
    Thanks to the Spell Check,
    SE not DE.
    K&N air filter......Spell Check again.
  • tiger64tiger64 Posts: 4
    I wouldn't pay any Admin or Advertising fees myself. I do not think they should be passed on to the customer. It's a dealers cost of doing business. The only fee I paid was a $20 document fee to take care of the paperwork and registration.

Car dealers these days are desperate to sell, so you be the boss......name your own price and stick to it. The dealers are realizing that the internet is basically killing their profits! They have no choice. I got my 2001 GXE for below invoice, plus $500 back from the dealer (w/3.9% financing). And I don't worry about the dealer not making a huge profit either! They created the problem by overpricing their cars to begin with.
  • jbadamsjbadams Posts: 63
    This is a question I would like to pose to the group. How fast do you think the impact would have to be from a 2K Max hitting the rear of a 99 Infiniti I30 to cause about $800 damage to the I30 and $0 to the Max? This is supposed to have really happened. Some guy in a 99 I30 claims I hit him from the rear on the interstate on ramp and caused him $800 worth of damage. I did not hit him. But I don't believe there is any way to cause damage to one car of this magnitude and zero to another. What do you think?
  • norbert444norbert444 Posts: 195
    $o vs $800 is realistic in some cases. My y2k GLE got hit from the back at an awkward angle by an old Buick with that pointed front bumper. There was no damage on the Buick but my total damage was over $1100.
  • 427435427435 Posts: 86
    Theory won't have much to do with your problem. The real question is: Were there any witnesses?
    If not, it's your word against his and he won't get very far (unless he's an a--h--- attorney).
  • ludacrisludacris Posts: 185
    if you didnt hit his I30 how could he make such an accusation?
  • mikemajestymikemajesty Posts: 99
    when is the 2002 max going to come out
  • teknogeek9teknogeek9 Posts: 12
    In a court of law...innoncent until proven guilty. Have the other party prove you did hit him unless of course there were witnesses. If you are lucky, maybe there will be telltale marks on the other car that will either prove or disprove that it was your car.
    I had once such situation where someone hit me in a parking lot. Stupid enough, that person parked in the spot next to me and it was obvious by the paint that was traded. Although there were no witnesses, I did call the police and they were able to re-enact the situation and prove that it was the other person.
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    Stopped by a Nissan dealer yesterday and was told by the sales manager that the 2002 Maxima will be out in September with both a standard 260hp V-6 and an optional 300 hp V-8 available. This was the first I have heard of the V-8 being offered as an option. The particular dealership is not the most professional, so I'm not sure if this is reliable news or not.

Unfortunately, it looks like Nissan's timing to give the Maxima some serious engine upgrades is coinciding with $2.00 + gas and a return by some to MPG concerns. Mercedes' timing was equaly poor in dropping their turbodiesel version of the E-class in 2000. A buddy of mine has a 1999 and is gloating over his 32+ mpg on diesel costing 30 cents a gallon less than premium. Not to mention he could sell his car with 30k miles for more than he paid for it new in late 1998.

By the way, I have averaged exactly 24.15 mpg over my 107,800 miles on a 1995 Maxima SE 5-speed. I have gotten as high as 30-31 mpg on a 400 mile highway trip at 70-75 mph. Worst case is 19-20 mpg for mostly city driving in the winter.