Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Maxima

Comments

• maxima3xmaxima3x Member Posts: 4
    Inquireing about post 2521. Have you had any luck removing the shifter knob? I am having the same problem with my 2000 SE. I replaced a similar knob on my 95 SE with no problems. The knob on the 2000 won't budge at all.
    Any advise
    Thanks
  • whitamwhitam Member Posts: 2
    Yes, I have advice. Get emotionally ready to say good bye to your OEM shift knob, because you basically have to destroy it in order to remove, the loc-tite is that strong! I cut the leather sheath off, then cut off the rubber core, to finally arrive at a plastic bolt which was screwed on to the shaft. Once I could grip this bolt, I was able to break the loc-tite seal and remove it. I then installed the 20th AE shift knob, without loc-tite, and will see if it loosens with use or not. You twist the bolt counter-clockwise to remove. Maybe YOU can remove the knob without destroying, using a rag or something, but I couldn't. Hope this helps...
  • maxima3xmaxima3x Member Posts: 4
    Whitam:
    Thanks for the reply. Sounds like a job for Superman! I already damaged the leather on the shifter knob trying to remove it. Even covering the knob with a rag and trying a vise-grip I had no luck. Oh well, I appreciate the help
    . Do you like the 20 Aniv knob once you got it installed?
  • berbelberbel Member Posts: 167
    Glad you talked about the shifting in the '02 SE.
    I was reading an eval. of the new MAX in AUTOMOBILE
    mag. the other night and the author criticized the
    six-speed tranny saying that it shifted poorly, was
    hard to get into gear and was very "clunky" which
    by the way HAS NOT been my experience in driving
    Japanese cars over the years.

Thanx for your perspective!!

berbel
  • ludacrisludacris Member Posts: 185
    I think the prices would be listed under the new cars section of the website. We got our fully loaded (everything on it, cd changer, moonroof, Bose, etc.) GLE for about $26k, MSRP was about $29k, so with some haggling you should get a good price on any model. Good Luck
  • har1bushhar1bush Member Posts: 207
    Well, now it's your call... Sure the new Maximas are here to woo and ahh the crowd with those 255 horses, but is it really a good time to go out and get the '01 Maxima leftovers? Today I saw an ad for a Meridian edition GLE for $24,888 exactly. This is certainly a good deal as of now, but you gotta wonder who much an '02 Meridian edition GLE will cost after some dealing -- maybe 25K-26K? Plus, Nissan has its own Altima coming out with 240hp 3.5L V6 that will surely sticker around 25K-26K loaded, but this comes out in a month. So, if you wait a month til the '02 Altima comes out and you are lucky enough to find an '01 Maxima, you'll get even a better deal, but if you buy now, you'll probably pay more and limit yourself from at least trying out the new Altima and Camry (which is due in stores this month), but will have more '01 Maximas to choose from. Kinda like gambling...
  • brooklyn3brooklyn3 Member Posts: 9
    Still waiting to hear from someone concerning the possibility of installing a trailer hitch on a 2001 Max for the purpose of adding a bike rack.
  • norbert444norbert444 Member Posts: 195
    Just to give you my 5c: I have never seen it done. On the other hand, I have seen some other cars really defaced by an improper installation of hitch-type bike racks on the trunk.
  • altavistaaltavista Member Posts: 19
    FYI-

I have a 2001 Max SE and recently put on a Hidden Hitch 1 1/4" receiver style hitch (model 60917). It was $90.00 and DOES NOT require any drilling. There are seven bolts that hold this to the car (the Max is pre-drilled for this reason). However, it is not that easy to put on yourself - it took me 2 hours. It is an engineering marvel. It also looks very good - barely noticeable - HIDDEN Hitch.

A 2" receiver style hitch will require drilling.

I also bought a Draw-Tite 2 bike carrier (model 6115) for the hitch - obviously 1 1/4". Draw-Tite also makes great hitches, but I think you have to drill the Max to fit one. The carrier was only $55.00. It was last year's model, so it's a little tough to find. Anyway, it's simple and works well. I tried two other bike carrier's first, but returned them. The Saris BAT 999Q, was a 3 bike carrier and HUGE. The TranSport by SportWorks was well made, but HUGE and HEAVY.

Anyway, I'm happy and the set-up is perfect.

www.hiddenhitch.com -> hitch maker (Max model 60917 is new and not listed yet, the last time I looked...but is available)
    www.draw-tite.com -> carrier (and hitch) maker (model 6115 is lighter, simpler, cheaper than new model)
    www.bageco.com -> where I bought hitch
    www.hitchestogo.com -> where I bought carrier

Best of luck and happy biking.

Ed A.
  • brooklyn3brooklyn3 Member Posts: 9
    Ed A.

Really appreciate your response on trailer hitches and bike racks. Makes looking at this site worth while.

Brooklyn3
  • sidwolfsidwolf Member Posts: 6
    I read in Nissannews.com that Nissan's sales for the first seven months of this year are down 27% from the same period last year. I was ready to buy a new Max, but am concerned that the company will not be around in future years to support this car with parts and service.

Does anyone have any information or thoughts on this issue?

Thanks,
    Sid
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    I recently drove a new Q45 and, although a very nice car, the performance was underwhelming given it's horsepower ratings by Infinity.

I believe the Maxima offers one of the best values in the affordable sports sedan catagories. I will be interested to see how the new 2002 performs with a six-speed and (supposedly) 255 horsepower. Consider that the previous generation M3 managed mid 5 second 0-60 times with 15 LESS horsepower and comparable or greater vehicle weight.

The Maxima is no M3, but I hope Nissan does not find itself in an Infinity Q45 situation trying to explain underachievement.
  • tgif888tgif888 Member Posts: 351
    Thanks. Actually I'm not in the market for the 02 Maxima. I just got an e-mail from the dealer and pass on the info. I was in the market for a new car back in May. I was going to get the 01 Maxima SE 20th Anniversary edition, but end up getting the I30t.

Hey, someone had said the Maxima is going to have a redesign in 2003. =)
    Nissan not be around? Nissan will definetly be around, ever since Renault got Charles Ghosn to help Nissan out they've made the biggest turnaround in the car business for a while.

Even if sales are down, Nissan's profits are still up. And you have to keep in mind last year was a record sales year, most cars ever sold...with this years economy problems sales have slid a lil (although still high). Yes I know some manufacturers' (Toyota) sales have actually risen over last years record...Nissan just isnt one of them.

Who knows, maybe the car nuts out there know about all the good things Nissan will be turning out very soon (240 hp Altima, 260 hp 6spd Maxima, supercharged Xterra, Sentra SE-R Spec V, Infiniti G35, and the like) and are gonna wait the extra year to get the new Nissan products instead of buying now and regretting the purchase later.

Unless some catastrophe occurs, Nissan will still be in the game...
  • jimmie8jimmie8 Member Posts: 31
    I read that same article...I also noticed how they criticized the 6-spd gearbox. I personally found it a LOT easier to shift the 6-spd than my current 5-speed box (97SE)...and I actually liked the "clunkiness" of the new gearbox. It feels comfortable to shift because there is a solid clunk as it goes into gear...but its not a heavy feeling at all (much lighter than my Max).

Who knows, maybe they are comparing it to the 6-spd gearbox of a Modena, or something. In that case, of course it will look bad...
  • djp2cdjp2c Member Posts: 39
    Just saw the 2002 at Kingston Nissan on Sat Aug 4th.

Not to much of a change when compared to the 01's on the lot.

Mainly head and tail lights changed and the Rocker Panel but from the side it's the same.

Dealer had a good supply of 0l's and he probably had to buy some to get the 02 early. Last week they said it would be September before the got one.

Everything is secret?????????
  • JHermonJHermon Member Posts: 22
    I called 4 different dealers in metro Detroit last week and got 4 different answers about when the 2002s will be arriving. The answers ranged from 2 weeks to the end of September, beginning of October.

It seems very strange that the release date would vary so dramatically from place to place. I can't help but wonder whether the dealers are deliberately saying they won't get the car until later so that they can get rid of the rest of their '01 inventory.

Anyone have any better information about when we can expect to start seeing '02 Maximas in quantity on dealer lots?
    Has anyone seen ANY info on the 0-60 times and 1/4 mile times of the new Maxima? I've seen lots of road tests for the new Altima, but none of the car magazines seem to be testing the Maxima. I thought the embargos on road tests for these two vehicles were ended at approximately the same time. Is Nissan just making it harder for magazines to get ahold of the Maxima??
    Anyone in the LA area that wants to see an 02 Maxima can go to Glendale Nissan.
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    Not one 2002 Nissan Maxima was to be found. I even looked in the garage where they keep the new models, but no new ones, maybe I will try Carmax of Greenville this weekend.
  • p_g_00p_g_00 Member Posts: 34
    just graduated and moved to north west, am thinking to get a GXE, someone in this thread said invoice-1000 is a good deal a while back, is it still so? or should I expect more?
    The price should be lower, wait a lil longer and itll drop more cause the dealerships are gonna have to get rid of 01 Maximas. It should also be easier to haggle the price down. 02s are coming out now.
  • ito2ito2 Member Posts: 2
    I know that may not make sence for some people. need to make a decision between a new 2001 max SE and a used 1997 BMW 528I w/ 49K miles. I can get the max for $24000 and the BMW for $25000. The BMW looks and rides like new. What do you guys think? Please help!!
  • nrl76nrl76 Member Posts: 30
    Went to Santa Monica Nissan during lunch. There was a 2002 Black SE, Bose, side airbags no leather. It looked better than the 2001 in terms of the rear and front. The wheels look about the same. There was a 2001 right next to it so it was a good comp.

I was impressed with the stereo. Good amount of bass for a stock stereo.

I did not drive it because I did not want to get the salesman all riled up and I was hungry.

Here is the kicker. . .

They had a $3,000 mark up listed on the sticker. I wanted to laugh at them out loud. That is ridiculous.

I think this could be my next car. Just concerned about reliability, fit and finish over time. My '99 Solara SLE has 31K miles, is almost 3 years old and it is totally solid.

Just a few random thoughts.

Neil
    '99 Solara SLE
    - looking to buy one of the following in less than a year
    1. 2002 Maxima SE NAV 6 spd
    2. 2002 Altima 3.5 SE 5 spd
    3. 2002 TL type S
    4. 2002 IS 300 5 spd
    http://nissan.mossy.com

Then click on new cars and look at maxima 2002 se or gle. (from freeze00 on maxima.org)

Neil,

I assume that was an SE Automatic you saw?? I thought I saw where the 6-speed won't be out until October, but there seems to be a lot of misinformation around.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    if you dont need xtra backseat room, its definitely the hottest looking and probably best handling of the vehicles you just mentioned. plus, it sells in lower volumes, so you'll have a more unique car.
    !!!
    good luck
    ~alpha
    Cerritos Nissan had 2002, too.
  • berbelberbel Member Posts: 167
    Frequently, I put a lot more faith in the impressions noted on this forum than I do in the
    opinions expressed by those employed by car maga-
    zines relative to the evaluation of any given vehicle. That guy from "Automobile" made what I
    thought was a huge issue concerning the "smooth-
    ness" of the '02 SE tranny. Your "down to earth"
    impressions would certainly impact my thinking
    more than his....so....thanks again. I guess the
    best way to eval. that transmission is to go and
    drive it myself and I fully intend to do that!!

berbel
    Add the Infinity G35 to your list. According to an e-mail I just got from Nissan, it will be out in the spring of 2002 (as 2003 model) and it appears to have the credentials to be a good sports sedan. Estimated 280 horespower, RWD, 6-speed.

And, if you want to go for Euro delivery, you can probably get a 3-series (325) for not a lot more money than the Acura. I had been considering a loaded 330i for about $35k using a dealer that discounts off BMW's ED pricing.
  • lateraluslateralus Member Posts: 13
    Hey, what's up with the rear suspension on the Max? I saw what looked to be a solid axle (beam) on one the other day as it passed me on the highway, So, I had to go find one that was parked so I could get a good look underneath...and yep! it's a solid axle! Now I know Nissan is excellent at building engines, but what happened with the wheel hanging guys? I mean we all know that (4) wheel independent is the only way to go, especially on a machine like the Max. I have an Accord V6 and it's rear suspension has all kinds of things going on, same with the front! Does anyone else notice this suspension shortcoming on the Nissan and or agree with me??
    Yeah solid beam axle, supposed to be the most advanced one ever designed. But no matter how advanced, its still a shortcoming. The handling is still good, and with some minor modifications (rear sway bar, etc.) it'll outhandle a lot of cars..
  • joeandcarol2joeandcarol2 Member Posts: 152
    I am considering the purchase of a 2002 Maxima. Can someone tell me where I can find additional information about the rear suspension? Pictures and/or a drawing would be good also. Is this solid axle stuff a cost savings due to Nissan's financial troubles?

Joe
  • one_loveone_love Member Posts: 28
    I'm ready to start looking for a 2001 Maxima is this the right time or should I wait a little longer?

I really would like to start now before they are all gone. What should I ask the dealers?
    Nothing changes, it seems.

I have a 1995 Maxima SE. Back in 1994, when I was shopping around, the Honda and Toyota sales persons were quick to point out that the Maxima didn't have "fully independent suspension". I listened, but also extensively test drove every car I was considering at the time. And, on a very challenging winding test drive that I set up, the Maxima handled hands down better than the Accord EX, Camry XLE-V6 and several others. Not to mention that the other's engines felt anemic next to the 5-speed equiped Maxima. Seven years and 111k miles later, I still really enjoy driving the car and it still handles better than almost any other mid-size sedan I've tried, short of a BMW 5 series and a couple of others.

I don't have a master's in mechanical engineering. Therefore, I won't argue the academic side of this issue. But anybody that thinks that just because of a different suspension set-up, an Accord, Camry, Acura TL or other front wheel drive Japanese import should therefore handle better than a Maxima(SE) has either (a) not driven the Maxima or (b) has a different set of nerve endings in their posterior than I do. The former of which is ignorance, the latter of which is a perfectly acceptable difference of opinion. My point is, forget what you read, and test drive the hell out of your top choices.

Funny, now that I'm in the market and considering going "upscale", I don't see similar posts "Hey, what's with this recirculating ball steering in the BMW M5, think they were just trying to save money over rack and pinion?".
  • warrenulwarrenul Member Posts: 50
    Does anyone know how effective the Nissan (McGard) locks are? I was unfortunate to just have my wheels ripped off.

They just took the wheels, so the factory alarm never went off. Also, is there an easy way to add a motion sensor to the factory setup? I am surprised that the standard security system doesn't include this simple device.

I bought two sets of wheel locks now, so I have two locks per wheel. What I didn't like was the fact that I found that although not a perfect fit, I think that the other key caught enough of the other lock to concievably loosen the lug, if someone tried real hard.

Thanks for any input, I don't want a repeat of this tramatic experience, or see anyone of you others guys getiing ripped off.
  • cyranno99cyranno99 Member Posts: 419
    Someone posted this in TH a while back as well.
  • jimxojimxo Member Posts: 423
    I was at Downers Grove Nissan (IL) and there were a couple on the lot.
    My friend said his dealer told him that they will get rewarded from the manufacturer; the more they sell, the more they will be rewarded. That's why they can sell cars around invoice price. True?

Well, I know it's not going to knock down the price by knowing that, just curious.

Any news for 01 Max price?
    Even the dealer sells the vehicle at inovice. It stills making profit on the hold back.

I believe the 01 Max is selling $500 below invoice. Correct me if I am wrong.
    I thought the 3% deal hold back will be worn out after the car stays in lot for more than 3 months or so according to this edumund article about deal holdback

What's dealer cash? I saw $500 dealer cash for 01 max here in edmund price report.

I thought the 3% deal hold back will be worn out after the car stays in lot for more than 3 months or so according to this edumund article about deal holdback

What's dealer cash? I saw $500 dealer cash for 01 max here in edmund price report.

• skeewb_4287skeewb_4287 Member Posts: 17
    With the Altima moving up the ladder to full-fledged midsize sedan-dom for Nissan in 2002, and the G35 in 2003 filling in the entry-level luxury-sport sedan position left wide open by Infinity, the Maxima is beginning to get squeezed to death as Nissan finds a way to make space for the Maxima and parent company Renault seeks to do some more belt-tightening. As I see it, even the great Maxima has its days numbered. I doubt it'll be around by '05.
  • cyranno99cyranno99 Member Posts: 419
    The Maxima will soon be better competing with the Avalon ..... the name has an almost cult status in sports sedan.... so it would be a mistake for Nissan to do that. The Z was gone, but it will be resurrected.
  • kagedudekagedude Member Posts: 407
    Man... I knew it was coming. I have a 6 mos old 2001 Nissan Maxima SE with the 17 inch alloy rims. The center caps were stolen today. Nissan shoulda made the alloys without the center caps but I think if they sell replacements, that would be a money maker. Know where else I can get these center caps without going to the dealer? Thanks.
  • lateraluslateralus Member Posts: 13
    To cyrann099, thanks for the link, now I'm not SO against the suspension set-up on this car.
    check aaarims.com...they might have some.

If not, try Courtesy Nissan or one of the nissan wholesale parts stores like nissanpartsonline.com.
  • slotheadslothead Member Posts: 14
    Just a few things I noticed when looking at the 2002 Max...the front grill is crying out to be sprayed satin black...The rear tail lights will be ordered for me to put on my 2000 Se...The 17" wheels won't get there center caps stollen any more...looks like they fused the old 17" wheel with the old 16" center. The headlights aren't much of an improvement and the lower front valance looks overkill, but maybe thats because I'm used to seeing the nice subtle look of the last year. Just my 2 cents, worth 1cent.
  • nissanlovernissanlover Member Posts: 48
    Hi,
    I don't know exact term for this, but I will describe it. On my Max97, there is black plastic piece on carpet inhibit floor the gas pedal... I installed Matix pedal set but its clip is thick which adds about 3/4" behind original pedal. So if I floor the gas, I won't get same throttle response anyway, right? So I want to remove this black piece on carpet. Can I do that? What is that piece anyway? Thanks in advance.
  • har1bushhar1bush Member Posts: 207
    Looks like Nissan dealers will have an interesting situation for the next couple months... I saw an ad on the paper today for a dealer who is discounting all of its SE and GLE Maximas $4000 from MSRP, which means a GLE Meridian Edition is around 24500 (pretty much the same price as the '01 Camrys these days). But in about a month, the new Altima comes in and the '02 Maximas seemed to have made their way into the dealers in limited quantities. So, here is the scenario: a '01 Maxima GLE for $24500, a '02 Altima SE V6 for around $25-26K, or the '02 Maxima GLE (sans nav syst) for about $27K.... seems like a good time to buy when the Altima comes in.