Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Maxima

Comments

• monkstermannmonkstermann Member Posts: 27
    Does anybody out there know what the purchase rates are currently for Nissan, and for how long the current rates will be available? Considering a SE w/6SPD (of course. Hoping to find the 0.9% or thereabouts.

Thanks
    Andy
  • kyleknickskyleknicks Member Posts: 433
    check out brownandbrown.com and click on the nissan link and then click on specials... they seem to be selling them really cheap.. only problem is they're from AZ. wow..that makes a loaded GLE with everything but the nav system about 25,200. now i just gotta get someone to buy my 2k gle for 25G and i'm off to az!! love the new max, but can't afford to take the hit on a new one.... oh well =(
  • lofquistlofquist Member Posts: 281
    Folks,
    A large number of people continue to contact me about buying a Maxima in Canada and bringing it home to the US. I promised to do a quick summary, so here it is…

So why to do this? To save money. The exchange rate is great for us here in the US. Here are a couple examples of selling prices I've seen lately (converted to US dollars and including the duty):
    - Maxima SE 6spd, Leather pkg, Meridian pkg, sunroof, Bose, side airbags, HLSD. $23,100. That's $4400 under US dealer invoice.
    - Maxima GLE, Meridian pkg, sunroof, side airbags, TCS. $22,700. About $3800 under US dealer invoice.

Here's the answers to the most asked questions:
    - Yes, it's perfectly legal as a US resident to buy a new car in Canada.
    - Maxima meets all US safety and emissions requirements (California too).
    - You will pay some Canadian sales taxes, but they send you a refund after you take the vehicle out of the country.
    - The warranty is honored in the US.
    - It's identical to the US Maxima, but in Canada they come standard with many of the options we have to pay extra for.
    - Speedo is in kph and mph; odo is in km, but can be changed if you prefer.
    - We've found dealers willing to sell over the phone at close to invoice, far below list price (Toronto and Vancouver are usually best).
    - Get your financing at home first.

Quick summary of the process:
    1. Call dealer and make a deal. Get VIN number.
    2. Call Nissan and get US emissions and safety compliance letter (will fax if in a hurry).
    3. Go to Canada, pay dealer, drive away.
    4. Stop at Canadian customs. Get form stamped.
    5. Stop at US Customs. Show compliance letter. Pay 2.5% duty.
    6. At home register vehicle and pay your state's sales tax just like normal.
    7. Get Canadian sales tax refund check in the mail.

I bought in Canada over a year ago and I know of over sixty others who have also done so since. Sure, there's a little paperwork to do, but it's not bad at all. Many people are surprised how close to Canada they really are. Anyone from Chicago to D.C. is easily within a one days drive home from Toronto. And much of the west coast is close to Vancouver.

There is more in the way of personal notes and savings above here and in the Pathfinder forum. I'm glad to help anyone out with questions or good contacts. I have lots more information available. Just email me.

-Jon
    jonlofquist@aol.com
  • th83th83 Member Posts: 164
    I'm looking to buy a new Maxima before the summer and have a few questions. Is anybody here from NC and bought one for around the invoice price? Would my trade-in affect what kind of deal I get? Or can I get the car for a few hundred bucks above invoice before deducting my trade-in value? Your help would be greatly appreciated.

I would buy from Canada but that's a long way from Charlotte, NC. Too bad, though. $22700 would be a great price for a well-equipped GLE.
  • dmathew347dmathew347 Member Posts: 80
    How come there's no "stop" button on the premium stereo system on the GLE. If i want to stop or pause a cd or tape song, the only way to do that is to turn the power (the knob) off. This is a really annoying feature, and very different from most stereo systems which all have a stop and a pause button.
  • canadianclcanadiancl Member Posts: 1,078
    I sure hope Nissan doesn't try to compete with the Avalon. We don't want another Japanese Buick. And IMO, the '02 Max already compares quite favourable against the TL, either base or Type S flavour.
  • pathmax00pathmax00 Member Posts: 22
    If you stop(turn off a cd)It starts in the exact spot you stopped it when you turn it back on. Thats why there is not a pause button. It's really the same thing!
  • lofquistlofquist Member Posts: 281
    th83,
    Going from NC to Toronto to buy wouldn't even be close to the record. How about Atlanta, Texas, and Alabama. And I get more mail from the DC area than anywhere else other than Seattle. Charlotte is only a 750 mile drive home (all Interstate). Not too bad to save a few thousand. I don't want to push this idea onto anyone, but most people don't realize how far "south" Toronto really is.
    -Jon
  • pathtomaxpathtomax Member Posts: 215
    I am the owner of a 2000 Maxima GXE. This car has over 50,000 miles in all highway driving. It takes up the miles with no cares at all. My one issue at this point is the constant engine 'knocking & pinging' during acceleration. I use only Super Unleaded at 93 octane. Anyone have any solutions for this?
  • opimaxopimax Member Posts: 73
    most likely, lot of reports of bad colis, mine included!
  • robertrrobertr Member Posts: 125
    I just had the same problem (for the first time) the other week with my 2000 SE. It was especially noticable accelerating through 3000 rpm in second gear. I was using Shell premium (at least thats what I paid for). I tried calling the gas station operating company to see if there was a problem with their gasoline that they knew about, and they have not got back to me.

Meantime, I switched to Sunoco 94. Not only is there no knock, but the car seems noticably more powerful.

Because of the power increase, I suspect this station may have been selling regular gas as premium all along and my engine controls have been compensating for it by retarding the timing. Probably the last tank I got there was simply a little worse than the usual regular being sold as premium.

Your solution is to switch to a gas station that gives you premium when you select and pay for premium.
  • roar1roar1 Member Posts: 193
    canadiancl,
    I agree with you and share your concern that the new Max
    will be Nissan's version of the Avalon. Current info. suggests
    that the '03 Max. will be larger and based on the Altima
    platform.

I'm perplexed because the new Max. is supposed to be rwd.
    This would suggest a performance benefit, however, they
    are going to make the vehicle larger ( as in boat). Even if
    they approached the HP territory of the 350Z, the increased
    weight would negate any perf. increase. I hope I'm wrong !!

I'm interested in your thoughts and any new info you
    may have.
  • berbelberbel Member Posts: 167
    Re: Sid Dawson's Post 4102

Sid:

If what you say is true about the 2003 model being
    the same car that is on sale now, this is contrary
    to Nissan's own model matrix found on freshalloy.
    The model matrix says: "major redesign to full
    size," "same 3.5L V-6," "independent rear suspension." I recognize that Nissan can change
    their plans at will but if the matrix as noted
    is correct, then the 2003 model will not be the
    "same car that is on sale now."

I am interested, as I'm sure others here are, in
    your commenting about this especially in light of
    the fact that I, among others, are strongly con-
    sidering trying to retain a car built in Japan as
    opposed to TN where the 2003 model is supposed
    to be manufactured!?

berbel
  • montmaxmontmax Member Posts: 32
    The 2003 will basically be the same car as the 2002 and the 2004 will go on sale Winter 2003. Their are constant updates latest update is from March issue of Motor Trend.
  • canadianclcanadiancl Member Posts: 1,078
    I think that, as a sport sedan, or at least a sedan with sporting pretension, the current Max is almost too big already.
  • sdawson713sdawson713 Member Posts: 34
    Yes, the new model will be available in 2003, however it will be sold as a 2004. Im just as curious as you guys are to see what they do. I know it will not be Avalon like in temperment, but it will definately be larger than it is now. And yes, it will be built in the USA.
  • porknbeansporknbeans Member Posts: 465
    Will the new max be built off of the same platform as the Q45? If it's supposed to go upscale and upsize this may be a logical place to start.
    Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
    The Fraternal Order of Procrastinators
  • pbhattipbhatti Member Posts: 87
    The new maxima is gonna be built on the altimas platform. I think when they say it is gonna be bigger it means they will push the wheels to the ends and therefore increase the interior space more and provide a smoother ride with longer wheel base.

My guess about nissan's future:
    Maxima: 300 hp V8 or 280hp V6 w/ AWD sedan
    G35: 260(sedan) RWD
    g35: 280(coupe) AWD or RWD
    350z: 280hp+ rwd sports coupe
    Altima: 240hp FWD sedan

This way Nissan offers something for everybody.
  • vanbo57vanbo57 Member Posts: 46
    I've got a 2001 SE, automatic, purchased at the end of August '01. I've got the comfort and Convinience package and the car is gray lustre / charcoal. I paid $24,000 (American) before tax and 4 years at 3.9%. I live in Southern CT.
    The car is running great, gas mileage has been between 17.5 and 22.5/gal. probably because my driving is stop sign to stop light mostly. I have only used premium gas, Shell & Moble 93 Octane. I do not like the 1st to second shift as it lags between gears and I believe that affects accelaration. Accelaration is good however - I would guess around 7.5 seconds zero to 60. I get a minor "thump" under moderate to hard acceleration form a dead stop and from accelerating hard from low speed - feels like motor mounts. Dealer service said "inherent with the car - there was another case and nothing alievieted the thump". This does not seem a big deal at all. I have no vibration whatsoever in the steering wheel at idle. The engine is truly smooth and has a refined sound out the exhaust.
    Accelaration is real good after 3500 RPMs. Passing from anywhere between 50 and 80 MPH is just effortless, (peak torque @ 4000 RPMs). The car stops well from any speed - the pedal feel is good and not spongey. The brakes start to grab with slight application of the pedal. The car handles very well at normal speeds. This car is fun to drive.
    The paint is not good. Many chips in the paint, mostly on the hood. I am concerned about this. This could be a problen when I decide to sell in 5 or 6 years. The paint chips range in size from less than 1/16" to a little less than 1/8". NOT COOL.
    I have no noticable sqeaks or rattles inside the car. The fit and finish are very good, in & out. IMO, the only improvements could have been in lighting the sunroof controls and tinting the sunroof glass, adding rear A/C vents and moving the side view mirror controls to the driver's door so that you don't have to move forward to adjust. Perhaps also better or adjustable lateral support for the front seats. Minor stuff.
    I am overall very satisfied with the performance, in & out of this car with the exeption of the paint.
    Just my opinion. How is your '00 or '01?
  • corkfishcorkfish Member Posts: 537
    Has anyone seen a review of the 6 speed Maxima. I drove both the Maxima and the Altima and the Altima definitely felt quicker. I have yet to see any magazines review the car to bear this out. Is Nissan trying to hide this possibility?
    I wish someone would conduct a test of the 6-speed Maxima so I could see exactly how quick it is. I know that sounds funny but I'd like to see some acceleration numbers for the car so that I can see how it compares to the new Altima. One thing bothers me: Is it certain that the Maxima has more power than the Altima? Couldn't Nissan just be saying the Maxima has more power but in reality they're equal? Why would Nissan go to the trouble of making the same engine less powerful just to better differentiate the Maxima and Altima? Even if it's just different computer programming that makes the difference, it still cost Nissan money that could have been spent elsewhere. Just food for thought. I've been thinking about that since the new Altima debuted. Maybe I'm just crazy :)
  • riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    I've hardly seen any reviews of a 2002 Maxima. Only close ones I remember are Motor Trend's 11/01 review of I35 Sport and Consumer Reports' 3/02 review of I35 Sport. Both went 0-60 mph in 7.0 seconds. Not bad for a 4-speed automatic!

Guessin' car mags are much more interested in the completely revised Altima and the soon-to-be-released completely new G35.

Motor Trend's 3/02 issue has 1-year Wrap UP of their 2000 Maxima SE w/5-speed manual. 0-60 mph in 6.7 seconds.
  • ssn66ssn66 Member Posts: 6
    I'm at 750 miles on my new 2002 Maxima SE. I've heard it's a good idea to get an oil change at 1000 miles. Your thoughts?
  • aftyafty Member Posts: 499
    Sport Compact Car ran a test of the 6-speed Maxima vs. the 5-speed Altima in their March issue. They found the Altima to be slightly faster. Here are the acceleration figures they recorded:
    Altima
    0-30: 2.8
    0-60: 6.7
    30-50: 2.4
    50-70 3.5
    1/4-mile: 14.9@95.5 mph

Maxima
    0-30: 3.0
    0-60: 6.9
    30-50: 2.4
    50-70: 3.4
    1/4-mile: 15.0@95.6 mph

They also tested both cars on a chassis dyno and found that the Maxima really does make more power than the Altima. They don't explain why the Maxima is slower despite its power advantage.
  • mirthmirth Member Posts: 1,212
    There's a whole discussion of the SCC figures above at freshalloy.com.
    There's a better discussion here on Altimas.net where Maxima owners complain about the slow times they printed. The editor of SCC then posted several messages challenging Maxima owners to come out and do an acceleration run at their track to produce better times. They would print the results in a future issue. So far no one has taken him up on it.
  • volmaxvolmax Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2002 SE Automatic and began noticing a popping or clicking noise coming from the gear shifter area as the brakes are applied when the car is in drive and not moving(or very slowly moving). You can apply and release brakes in a repetitive fashion and hear the noise each time. During normal driving, you also hear the noise as you come to a stop at a red light or stop sign.

Anyone notice this and have any ideas of what it might be.
  • anthonycanthonyc Member Posts: 21
    I have been lurking in this forum and also the Audi A4 and the Mazda Millenia forums for about two months and finally on Friday I bought a 2002 Maxima SE. Can someone tell me whether should be a plastic terminal cover on the positive and negative terminal pole on the battery? There is a red one on the positive pole but does not have one on the negative one. I am not familiar with Maxima since my last two cars were both Audis, a 5000s and a 100 V6 which the battery is located underneath the back seat and has no plastic cover on the terminal poles.

Thank you,

Anthony
    Thanks for the data. Hmm...that is strange how the Maxima is slightly slower but it looks as if they're about equal except more the Maxima taking an extra .2 seconds to reach 30. The Maxima is about the same weight as the new Altima so with more power it should be faster. Oh well, I think I'll go with the automatic. According to C/D, the new I35 goes 0-60 in 6.9, so the auto Max should be close to that.
    I just bought a 2002 SE on Friday and I am already thinking about getting a full-size spare to replace the space saver donut. Does anyone know if a full-size 17" spare will fit in the trunk well for the space saver spare. Also, any idea how much will it cost to get the one wheel plus tire? By the way, does anyone know if the 17" Potenza RE92 is directional or non-directional tire?
  • montmaxmontmax Member Posts: 32
    Those times S/c got for the Max were slower than the 2000-2001 5spd which hit 60 in 6.7 sec. The 1/4 mile was barely better 95.6 vs 94.4 from Motor Trend. those times arent an improvement at all thats why alot of MAX owners are like what the ****!
  • slade65slade65 Member Posts: 7
    Took delivery on "02 Maxima SE 27 days ago. During the test drive [before purchase], I was totally attentive to the fabulous acceleration of the car and completely overlooked the EXTREMELY firm suspension. Now, after only 600 miles, I realize that the sport suspension was, for me, a big mistake. Dealer offered to trade me out to an Altima for just$ 4006. plus t & t.
    I passed. Aside from the suspension, I love the car. Service Dept tells me suspension cannot be changed to something softer. ANY SUGGESTIONS WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.
  • pwitzpwitz Member Posts: 51
    Couple of thoughts here....
    1. Tire Pressure....you can adjust that to see if a lower pressure would give you a somewhat softer ride.

2. Trade up to the GLE. That's what I have...engine the same and the suspension is still fun when pushed, but also very comfortable in normal driving.
    I noticed the ride on my new 2002 SE was a bit choppy on the way home from the dealer on some less than smooth road so when I got home I checked the tire pressure and they were all at 42 psi just 2 psi shy of the 44 psi of maximum pressure for the Potenza RE92. I think they pumped up tires to avoid flat spots when the car was sitting on the lot and during transport. The recommended tire pressure is 32 psi. It makes a big difference in terms of the ride. The SE definitely has a firm ride and it can get choppy on bumpy road even with a lower tire pressure. I think the reason has more to do with the semi-independent trailing torsion beam axle. It reminds me of the very similar handling characterics of the 92' Audi 100 V6 FWD that I had which has a similar suspension setup i.e. strut front and beam axle on the back. The beam axle on the rear gets unsettling on rough road, the rear axle hop is probably what makes the ride feel choppy. It is just my observation on FWD cars with beam axle rear suspension after owning a 85' Audi 5000s FWD, a 92' 100 V6 FWD and now a Maxima. When I first drove the SE it reminded me of a FWD Audi with beam axle but firmer suspension and more horsepower. It was almost like a Japanese re-intepretation of the older full-size front drive Audi platform.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    When I test drove the 6-speed Maxima, it did feel at least as quick as my 1995 SE 5-speed (rated 0-60 in 6.7). But, it does have 65 more horsepower and once again, I have been convinced that the growing horsepower ratings of recent years are either bogus or, for a variety of reasons, not producing real world performance improvements. Not that my 190 horsepower 1995 Maxima needed that much improvement.

The previous generation M3, at 3,200 lbs and with 240 horsepower and 236 ft-lbs of torque would look below average in a horsepower comparison chart with many of today's wanna-be sport sedans. But on the road, it's quite a different story. Heck, even the 530i 5-speed, at 250 lbs of extra heft and with 30 less horsepower and 32 less ft-lbs of torque feels quicker to me than the Maxima SE 6-speed.

Somebody in another forum suggested Lotus would have trouble selling the Elise in the states because it's only rated at something like 120 horsepower. The implication was that the American market is too damn dumb to be able to objectively evaluate a car and simply gets caught up in horsepower numbers comparisons.

So, anybody know what the extra 65 horses that Nissan added to the Maxima since 1995 are actually doing?? Perhaps we should have a power window race or stereo competition to find out!

P.S. About 99.7% of the 122,300 miles on my Maxima have been at speeds below 95 mph. So, I don't really want to hear from Nissan that the "top end" of the Maxima has been improved. If did I want to go 120+, I'll do it in my S2000, which can actually handle those speeds. I'd just like a sedan with a little more oomph in the sane person's speed range.
  • gerapaugerapau Member Posts: 211
    I think that you may have a hard time fitting the 225/50-17 tire/wheel into the spare well in the trunk. I believe that the tire is too wide. I know that all Maximas used to come standard with full-sized spares in Canada but Nissan Canada stopped that when they went to the wider 225s. Their reason was that the tire was too wide and that the cover for the spare well would not sit flat (at least that is what they told me) in the trunk. If you don't mind the tire protruding a bit into the trunk space then you may be able to do it. Also, the RE92 is a non-directional tire.
    Sport Compact Car's times are slow, and they don't match up with what Maxima owners are seeing on the street and at the track. That is why Maxima owners are so angry at the article. As someone else pointed out, C&D tested an automatic I35 at 6.9 0-60, the same time SCC got for the 6-speed Max.

If you look at other times SCC has published, they are similarly slow. Two or three months ago they tested the Acura RSX-S. 7.6 seconds 0-60, 1/4-mile in 15.6. Road & Track got 6.7 0-60 for the same car. This past month SCC got 8.9 seconds 0-60 for the Toyota Matrix XRS (with the 180 hp engine). Car and Driver got something like 7.3 seconds for the mechanically identical Pontiac Vibe GT.
  • norbert444norbert444 Member Posts: 195
    Most cars do have this, but only over the positive terminal - which is the one that normally shows a lot of corrosion if not covered. So, your 2002 Max is normal....!
  • robertrrobertr Member Posts: 125
    When I first got it, my 2000 SE ride seemed rough compared to the 1997 SE I traded in.

Give your car a couple months. Two things happen: 1)The ride actually seems to get smoother as the car gets broken-in and/or 2)You get more used to it.

In the meantime, see how fast you can go around the curves on on and off ramps! The stiff ride is a worthwhile tradeoff for the handling you get. Now that I'm used to it, I actually like the ride and would not want it to be any less stiff.
  • obiwankenobi1obiwankenobi1 Member Posts: 290
    I have an 02 SE and traded a guy my donut for his full size Infiniti I35 spare. The tire and wheel fit fine in the trunk, but you lose like 60% trunk space. That is why the guy traded me. He needed more space in his I35 and I wanted a full size.

Plus, I blew a tire out the other night and it sure came in handy!
  • tboomtboom Member Posts: 8
    I've had my eye on a GLE for a bit was wondering if anyone thought the traction control was a necessary option or not. Of course, getting the traction control also gets you the heated seats, sunroof, and front side airbags.

I also noticed the harshness of the ride in my test drive. But never thought to check the tire pressure.

Also anyone got any feeling on what, if any, incentive Nissan will offer next.

Thanks,

T-Boom
  • mstirtonmstirton Member Posts: 2
    The SE is a bit rough for my liking, but I do appreciate the handling so I'll let out a little air and be happy with it.
  • ilitilit Member Posts: 71
    Keep the pressure at 32 psi, it'll make big differences and you'll love the ride!
  • dgc8851dgc8851 Member Posts: 8
    > Also anyone got any feeling on what, if any, incentive Nissan will offer next.

I currently have a 2002 SE on hold, awaiting my 1998 Integra GSR to be sold. Dealer A said they have 0.9% financing for 12,24 or 36 months, through the end of Feb. Dealer B said 0.9% for either 12 or 24 months. What's up w/ conflicting facts from different dealers? Is this normal? The dealers are in Dayton vs. Cincinnati.
    I'm just wondering because I've yet to see a TCS on/off button in any of the Maxima/I35 interior photos that I've seen. If it isn't defeatable, I find it very impressive that Car and Driver was still able to get 6.9 seconds out of an I35.
  • gg2k2segg2k2se Member Posts: 109
    I had Traction control on my 2000 SE and found it to be a slight advantage during snowy or rainy weather. It does slow down the engine and upshift if the wheels start spinning. Not a must have, but a nice to have. The TCS OFF toggle switch is on the dash, right hand side, behind steering wheel.

I actually think side airbags are a definite if you're spending the money on a new car. I really thought the heated seats were of little value until I started using them, now we love them and just traded up to a 2002 which has the heated steering wheel, also great....(as my pickup truck driving friend said...."you've turned into a wuss").
  • rwcliftonrwclifton Member Posts: 19
    Just bought a 2002 Maxima GLE in Sterling Mist w/ the black leather interior. I got every option except the navigation system. I had been searching for months and narrowed down my choices to the Acura TL-S, I-35, Volvo S60, and the Maxima. I enjoyed all of the cars but for the money I didn't think the Maxima could be beat. All of the other cars were at least $3500 more with the options I wanted on them. I got every option the others had and a few more. I am looking forward to my experience in the Maxima. Thanks to everyone who helped me along the way to choose a Maxima.
  • radarloveradarlove Member Posts: 8
    ssn66:

Here’s what Tom and Ray of NPR Car Talk say about your first oil change:

It IS a good idea to do the first oil change at 500 or 1,000 miles. Sometimes, there are small metal shavings left over from the manufacturing process, and it's a good idea to change the oil and get rid of them. After that, our recommendation is that you change the oil at 5,000 mile intervals.

The whole article:

http://cartalk.cars.com/Columns/Archive/1994/July/17.html

• godeacsgodeacs Member Posts: 481
    You made a wise choice! I looked at some of the same cars as you and reached the same conclusion....
    I was going to get a 17" wheel and tire to replace the space saver spare for my new 2002 SE. I called the parts department at the dealer and they told me the the wheel is $576 plus tax!!! So in order to get a matching full-size wheel and tire it will $576 for the wheel and $155 for the tire plus tax!