Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Maxima

Comments

• manavimanavi Member Posts: 150
    We have a winner!
  • bodydoublebodydouble Member Posts: 801
    Great stuff!

Couple of questions:

1. So these programmable settings are the same for the Maxima as they are for the Altima?

2. Does the Remote Auto Locking serve 2 functions? Doors automatically locking after exiting car and closing doors as you posted, AND ALSO the auto relock function, ie. if doors are unlocked using fob but none of the doors are opened, then car will relock/rearm?

This would be extremely helpful info because I think the same features would apply to the I30/I35 which is what my parents have.
  • hammer19hammer19 Member Posts: 31
    I just bought Zaino and used it on my '03 SE and it is absolutely stunning! Not only does it make the car look "wet" all the time, it is a great coating for easy removal of ALL road grime, such as bugs, bird crap, and road tar. If you follow the simple steps to put this stuff on you will not be disappointed. It takes 2 days to do the process but it's worth it. I did mine the first weekend after I got the car and it was done. Bring on winter, too. Their products look after everything including windows , tires, wheels/rims, and leather, too. I haven't used the leather stuff yet because the distributor here in Southern Ontario was out of stock and waiting for a new shipment to come in, but when it's available I plan on doing the leather seats, too. I can't say enough good things about it. I'm a born skeptic, but this stuff works. Try it!!!
  • jimmyj1945jimmyj1945 Member Posts: 141
    RE: Zaino is great Polish-But it is not a WAX. I use it and will never go back to wax. People have different opinions on this subject (wax vs polish etc. All I know is my car looks better than any car I have ever used wax on, and after the inital treatment, it is easier to keep clean.

Jim
  • pbhattipbhatti Member Posts: 87
    I'm not sure if it is the same for maxima but I'm guessing it would. The mechanics wouldn't need to learn different setting for each car and I read on freshalloy that the settings might also work on the G35.

Auto-lock feature: I believe the auto lock does both functions: locks the car after exiting and if you don't open the doors. On my Father's the doors never lock if we unlock them and as some have posted their doors lock after a couple of minutes. I believe the dealers pick which setting are right for their drivers and program all the cars the same way. I guess people in Connecticut are more likely to lock themselves out of their cars :-) so they disable the feature.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,507
    BMW is all computerized also. Part of the paperwork when you buy a car is picking all of your settings so they can prep the car tight. Of course, you can change them later (or the dealer can), it just costs big $$

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• nissangirlnissangirl Member Posts: 186
    Where can I purchase this stuff? Can I purchase it at a local Auto Parts store?
    You are only getting half-served. They should be willing to come back and pick you up so you can get your vehicle, that is, whether you have a recall or just getting service or a repair. I must have the best Nissan dealership here in South Mississippi. They are great! On one of my past Maxima's ('96 SE) there was a recall of some kind, and they were going to need to keep my car for 2 days - my sales rep arranged a rental car (which turned out to be a 98 Max) for me to use FREE of charge while they worked on my car. I picked up the rental car at a local Enterprise Car Rental and returned it the next day with no questions asked. And when speaking with the people at Enterprise, this was a common thing for my dealership to do.
  • radarloveradarlove Member Posts: 8
    There is an extensive Zaino forum on this website. Just type in keyword Zaino in the search box.

Zaino products are available directly from Zaino Bros. or from an authorized Zaino distributor. To find out if there's a distributor in your area, call Zaino Bros. at (732) 833-8800 or e-mail Zaino.
    see www.zainobros.com
  • marcusjymarcusjy Member Posts: 3
    There are a lot of products that have the initial shine of Zaino, but only a few (maybe Klasse) will be shining like that several months later. The initial cost of Z may seem high but you are only going to put thin layers of the product on so it will last a long time.

If you have a light Max car, I would go with the following basics:

ZFX (cure enhancer)
    Z-2(clearcoat polish)
    Z-6(quick detailer spray)
    Z-7(car wash)

If you have some minor blemishs then Z-5(polish for Swirls) could help, but is not neccesary. If you have real swirls I would get 3m Swirlmark Remover. Z-5 just fills them in. On dark cars z-5 is almost a must have, on my Majestic Blue 2k2 Max I left z-5 as top layer because it leaves a deeper wetter look rather than shiny reflective look of z-2. I will eventually add some more z-2.

Since Zaino is so optically clear you need a near perfect finish before you wax, because it will highlight imperfections. But, I think you should try the Z.

Klasse (All-In-One & Sealant Glaze) is good also and it looks great on dark cars. I use Klasse on my mother's deep slate pearl 300m.
    I use Zaino on my Silver car and it is great. Because Silver is light it does not have that deep wet look, but it sure does shine! I am thinking about buying a new Max in the Majestic Blue. How do you like the color? Would you buy it again? Does the Zaino make it real bright?

Thanks,

Jim
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    I have heard Zaino is great, but can be a little tedious.

I have been using Maguier's Professional Yellow #19 on my 1995 Nissan Maxima since it was new. It's now got 130k miles, has been parked outside (love the 1920's vintage homes in DC without garages) and it still looks great. I wax it roughly every 4 months. The benefit of Maguier's is that I can wash and wax the car, start to finish, in about an 60-75 minutes. That makes it much less intimidating to do frequently.

I have considered trying Zaino on my 2002 S2000, but I've had such a good experience with Maguier's that it's hard to switch.
  • varqvarq Member Posts: 1
    Anyone know if there is supposed to be a $540 destination charge on a demo 2002 model???
    Thank you all for your advise. But it's still all so confusing. My color is Sterling Mist (Silver) 2000 SE. My problem is that I listened to my dealers body shop tech and parts dept. rep, and they both told me that I would never need to wax my car since it had the clear coat on it. So of course, I took their advise. I have never put anything on my car. Although it's still just as pretty and new looking as the day I bought it (June '99) fresh off the truck, but anyway, I want to preserve that new look. Maybe they are right, maybe not, I don't know who to listen to anymore. The Zaino sounds like something I want, but I have to order it...Maguiers, I think I can get it locally. But should I wax, or just get a polish??? Help!
    I know this sounds complicated, but it's not. I use Zaino on my silver car and I really like it. That being said, I used Meguirar's Gold Class Liquid Clear Coat until I recently switched. If you want something reasonably simple to apply and wipe off, then I suggest you try the Meguirar. You can buy it at most any auto parts store. The dealer is partly correct in that these days there is a clear coat (very thin) protecting your paint. The clear coat is very easily scratched which can then cause corrosion and rust. Just keep you car clean and protect it with Wax or Zaino or something, and it will last a very long time. Hope this helps.

Jim
  • nerdnerd Member Posts: 203
    I have used Meguiars crystal clear coat polish followed by their carnauba wax. Talk about a shine! Especially on a dark color like my wife's cypress green '97 Integra.
    Thank you for your help. I went to Wal-Mart and they carry Meguiars. I bought some, then went home and got busy. I feel much better now, and my car looks great and feels sooooo smooth. I may try to order some of Zaino's products in the future, but for now, I'm satisfied. Thank you so much for your suggestions. :)
  • mirthmirth Member Posts: 1,212
    A demo would still have a destination charge. It's still technically a new vehicle since it's never been titled. So they still have to break that charge out to pay back Nissan. Who cares as long as they lower the selling price enough?
    Oops - made a mistake on my previous recommendation - it's Maguier's #26, (not #19) that I have been using.
  • marcusjymarcusjy Member Posts: 3
    I love the Majestic Blue. I would get it again. But, you have to take care of it like Black. The dealer swirled it up pretty bad from delivery, so I had to do a lot of work to get the swirls out. The first time I applied Zaino I put on two coats of z-5 & Z-2 and the car was real bright. Then, I added coats of Z-5, even though it is reflective as well, it made it deeper and wetter. I have since added a coat of z-2 since Zaino recommends this as the top layer, but I really like the look of z-5 on top. I go to following site for detailing recommendations. These guys are real anal about detailing:

http://www.autopia.ws/index.php?s=

Sounds just like the things I do! Thanks for the site, I'll check it out.

Jim
  • skillmysterskillmyster Member Posts: 4
    is it really worth getting an extended warranty? i just bought a 2003 SE in sheer silver. the dealer was asking $970 to extend the already 3 year warranty out for another 3 years to give me a total of 6 years. it does, however, have a $50 deductible after the first 3 years. i had a 1994 altima prior to buying my maxima and didn't get an extended warranty and never had any major problems. just wanted some feedback from existing maxima owners. i know the car is made VERY well so i opted to not get the warranty but can add it at anytime.
  • txcarbuyertxcarbuyer Member Posts: 19
    I have a 2001 Maxima GLE with about 28000 miles on the factory Toyo tires.

How long did your factory tires last?

What did you replacement with?

Thanks!
  • kyleknickskyleknicks Member Posts: 433
    ATTN: All 2000 Max owners with 215/55/16 tires.
    What are you replacing your OEM tires with ??
    Your thoughts and opinions are welcome.

I like the OEM Toyo Proxes because they are
    fairly quiet , but, they have a short tire life
    and they are expensive ( about $130- $140 )
    I just replaced my Toyos... I tried tlike heck to get Dunlop SP Sport A2s which have gotten raves (and I had their predecessor, the D60 A2s on my Altima). Unfortunately, every local (Houston area) dealer was out, and they all told me they were told it would be 6-8 weeks before they could get some.

I "settled" for a set of Bridgestone Potenza RE950 tires. I had experience with v-rated Potenzas on my RX-7 so I knew the Japanese-made Bridgestones (not Firestone) tires were pretty good.

The RE950 are pretty grippy... you can tell the rubber gets better traction than the Toys right away. They are pretty quiet but I think the slightly wider grooves on the outer edge of the tire make the tire a little noisier than other designs. Seems that tire companies are getting off on making the sidewall appearance different... Bridgestone uses a really noticeable "ribbed" look ("Ribbed for comfort" ;-) that is kinda ugly, but its a tire, not a future bride, so looks aren't that important. The tread is the "v" looking design, supposed to be good on wet roads. Also uses some new material/construction that continues to provide good traction as the tire wears.

I was able to get mine at Sears and they matched the lowest retail price I could find ($550 for four installed with road hazard). They are 40,000 mile, A ratings for traction and heat and 400 on treadwear.

Other tires that were recommended include Goodyear Eagle HPs, Michelin XGT H4, Yokohama A550 and their dB tire, and Bridgestone's touring tire, the Turanzo.

A good source of info is www.tirerack.com (reviews, articles, user ratings)...

------------------------------------------------------------------

I also tried to get the Dunlop Sport A2's, but they are on national backorder....so I went with Yokohama Avid V4's. They are quieter than the Proxies and have been excellent so far.

I have been able to take off-ramps at much higher speeds than the Proxies and their wet performance are good too. I would recommend them highly. Paid $100 each.

-----------------------------------------------

Unfortunately, it seems that the 215 55 16 is a fairly uncommon tire size (though there are lots of Maxs out there) and as such you don't have the selection out there. Fortunately, the SP Sport A2 (when available), the Bridgestone Potenza RE950, and Michelin XGT H4 are all very good performance tires at reasonable costs. IMO the Avid isn't as performance-oriented as the other three. I also know that you can get other Yokos (the A550 and their newish dB tire), and the Bridgestone Turanza comes in that size as well (if a quieter, softer ride is desired, plus you get an Elph digital camera from Bridgestone if you buy right away). Kumho makes a v-rated tire in that size I believe, and when you add in the OEM Toyos thats a pretty good selection I reckon.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For those folks, who want replacement tires, I would definitely try the Tire Rack.
    I have a 99 Maxima SE and just purchased Bridgestone Potenza S03 Pole Positions and they are excellent tires that improves handling alot!!
    The Tire rack price is $134 each.
    Its definitely worth it!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*** $120/each is cheapest I found for the Dunlop Sport A2's in springfield.... $87/tire on tirerack... look around, there's a huge difference in price from one place to another...
    The SP Sport A2 is Dunlop’s High Performance All-Season radial designed to compromise the least on all-season high performance while delivering the greatest value. The SP Sport A2 is designed to blend long treadwear, responsive handling and dependable traction on dry roads, wet roads and even in light snow.

On the outside, the SP Sport A2 molds an innovative dual-phase tread compound into a mildly asymmetric tread design that features outside shoulder blocks with minimal siping to enhance steering response and cornering stability while the inside shoulder blocks feature more sipes to provide the additional biting edges to aid traction in foul weather. The SP Sport A2 radial’s 3-rib center contact patch is designed to enhance dry, wet and light snow traction during acceleration, braking and cornering. The entire tread design features Dunlop’s “CHAOS” pitch sequencing of tread block shapes and sizes to help reduce noise to increase comfort. On the inside, the SP Sport A2 features twin, high-density steel belts reinforced by Dunlop’s JointLess Band nylon to enhance driving control and provide long, even treadwear while minimizing weight and enhancing ride quality. Additionally, hard rubber bead fillers and a high ply turn-up enhance steering response and cornering stability.

The Dunlop SP Sport A2 radial’s sidewall styling features black letters reversed out of a circumferential serrated band, and is available in 70-, 65-, 60-, 55- and 55-series sizes in 14” through 17” rim diameters.

Potenza RE950 is a high performance all-season tire that was developed to meet the needs of the drivers of sports cars, coupes and sedans by blending dry, wet and year-round traction, even in light snow. The Potenza RE950 is Bridgestone’s first tire in America to feature UNI-T AQ II technology which uses advanced compound and construction features to enhance and preserve wet traction through the tire’s life. The Potenza RE950 handles wet … even as it wears.

On the outside, the Potenza RE950 molds a Super Long Link Carbon Black, Dual Layer Tread II compound into a directional tread design that features large tread blocks for quick response and sporty handling with turbine effect grooves that help scoop water toward the sides of the tire to resist hydroplaning. A continuous center rib helps reduce noise while providing constant road contact to enhance straight-line stability. Internally, the Potenza RE950 features a Computer Optimized Component System which blends twin, high tensile, steel belts with spiral-wrapped, jointless belt edge strips to stabilize the tread area to enhance handling, high-speed capability and ride quality while minimizing weight.Bridgestone Potenza RE950 tires feature black sidewall styling with subtle black letters reversed out of a circumferential serrated band. They are H-speed rated and available in 65-, 60-, 55-, 50-, 45- and 40-series sizes for 14" to 17" wheel diameters.
    hope all the info i compiled about replacement tires for the 16in tires help.... im looking to replace in the spring with the A2's
  • aftyafty Member Posts: 499
    I would not buy the extended warranty. The Maxima has been a very reliable car in the past, and you most likely will not have any problems during the first 6 years.
  • 92drexel92drexel Member Posts: 153
    If I were you, I would wait until your 3 year/36k warranty is close to expiring, then make your decision. I bought Nissan's extended warranty for my 92 max and never used it (like afty said above).

However, when I bought my 2000 max 3 years ago, I swore I wasn't going to buy another extended warranty. Then a few weeks ago (luckily 8 days before my original warranty expired) I had three things go wrong (bang-bang-bang) that would have cost me over $500.

One problem was a bad overdrive switch on my transmission, then a service engine soon light (at 29,000 miles!), lastly my interior air recirculation switch stopped working (bad vent). I'm never buying a 1st year model again! Not to mention the fact the some of Nissan TSB's applied to me (warped rotors, transmission slippage, rattling subwoofer, noisy HVAC fan, bad stereo head unit etc). Nissan has probably spent well over $2000 in warranty work over the past 3 years on my car!

So I bought an after-market extended warranty because Nissan's warranty is not bumper to bumper...it only includes the major components. I'm particularly hard on sound systems and Nissan's warranty doesn't cover the BOSE system (which can eat up that warranty cost REAL quick).

However in your case, play it by ear. Since you have a good chunk of you original warranty left, wait and see how it goes. It's hard to put a price tag on peace of mind.

Drex

PS: Now I probably won't have any more problems until the extended warranty expires!
    Well, I ended up replacing my Toyo tires at an early age. I only had around 23K when I replaced mine with Dunlop SP Sport. I love them, and they look good too. My tire salesman told me I probably had another 5-7K left on the Toyo's but my Max is the family travel car, so for safety reasons, we went ahead and got the Dunlop's put on.
    My vote is don't get it.

I've had a 1995 Maxima SE 5-speed for going on 8 years and 130k miles with virtually no repairs that would have been covered under the extended warranty (i.e. years 4-6; miles 36k-72k). I did have a dash rattle that was repaired at about 2 years. The only other repairs have been a few recent items (post 110k miles) that totaled less than $400 (cruise control switch, engine temp sensor, airbag light).

I really think that $900+ for years 4-6 and up to 72k miles is a cash cow for a warranty company. Early bugs would have surfaced before 36k miles and longer term repairs would likely not be required until well after 72k miles (in my case, not yet at 130k miles). You didn't say whether you have a 6-speed or automatic, but I have yet to notice any clutch wear on my 5-speed. I have heard rumors that the automatics may not be as sturdy, but have never looked into it.

P.S. 92drexel - Sorry you have had bad luck with your 2000 Maxima. My 1995 was a first year model and it has been bulletprooof. But I'm glad I waited a couple of years to get an S2000. The fixed a few minor annoyances on the 2000/2001 with the 2002 model.
  • 92drexel92drexel Member Posts: 153
    Thanks for the sympathy. Hopefully this is it for the max (no more repairs). My 92 was bulletproof like your 95...however like I said, I wasn't going to buy a warranty for my 2000, but based on my experience over the last 3 years with it (esp the last 2 weeks), I wanted that peace of mind (however I do realize that these warranty companies wouldn't offer a warranty if they weren't profiting from them). But then again, Nissan mechanics get something like $95/hour (the mechanics prob get $15 of that the rest to the dealership)labor which is plain nuts.

I definately wouldn't buy an extended warranty when I first buy a car. I would evaluate the car first, then decide. Plus a Nissan extended warranty begins from the date of car purchase...so a 5 year/100k mile extended warranty is actually 2 years/64k miles (not including the 5 year/60k powertrain warranty) if you subtract the new car warranty. So that's definately a cash cow for someone.
  • babe915babe915 Member Posts: 34
    my 02 se gets a vibration or slight shimmy at 65 to 78 mph dealer balanced wheels not much help, then they had them load balanced which is moving the tire on rim to match the rim. improved some but still can feel vibration in steering wheel
    might have to try another set of tires to see if that solves it. got bridgestones on car.tech said he had another se do the same thing awhile back
    anyone else have this problem
  • ccermakccermak Member Posts: 260
    I know there was some issues in the past with overtightened lug nuts causing warped rotors and vibration, but this was with the 00's. There was a TSB and people were getting rotors replaced. Not sure if that would cause this prob because you're not braking when you get the vibes but I figured I'd mention it. Sounds like bad batch of tires to me. Did you rotate them around like from back to front, cross rotate, etc?
  • dogworkdogwork Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2002 SE and a 2001 Pathfinder LE and have been searching for where the in-cabin air filter is located on both....the owners manual just suggests going to the dealer for maintenance/replacement of this item. I just can't see doing that with something like that, so any help would be appreciated.
  • obiwankenobi1obiwankenobi1 Member Posts: 290
    I had to dust off a late model Lincoln Mark VIII with my 02 SE yesterday. I don't think he was expecting to lose the race because when he pulled up next me at the next light, he wouldn't even look at me!!!

HA HA HA HA!!!!
  • kennyg5kennyg5 Member Posts: 360
    I heard the 04 Maximas will have 4 wheel independent suspension and they will be made in the USA. Can anyone confirm that for sure? One of the reasons that I have not bought the 02 or 03 Maxima is its rear suspension, which jolts you like crazy when you hit a bump or an expansion joint on the highway. Although I love America, I prefer Japanese cars because they are better made and more reliable. The U.S. made cars that I had owned gave me heartburns because they spent more time in the mechanics' shop than on the road. I hope future American cars will be better than foreign cars, so that more Americans will buy domestic cars, which will help the economy.
    Alot of "foreign" cars are built in the US now, so I'm not sure if you have to buy domestic to help the economy. Anyway, I think the domestics should build better cars to help us help the economy!
  • cheerioboy26cheerioboy26 Member Posts: 412
    Don't know about the suspension, but it will be built in America.
    Part of what I wanted to say (although subtle) is whether Japanese or other "foreign" cars that are made or assembled in the U.S. may have more quality-control problems than Japanese cars that are 100% made in Japan. I don't know if there are comparison studies out there on this point.
  • aftyafty Member Posts: 499
    Yes, it will have 4-wheel independent suspension. It's based on the Altima platform, though it might be stretched a bit. It will be built alongside the Altima in Smyrna, Tennessee.
    I bought a 1995 Maxima SE in part because it was made in Japan and have been extremely pleased with my decision 8 years and 130k miles later. I've never seen a statistical analysis, but I know anecdotally that both Honda and Toyota had early problems with quality control at their US plants and that Mercedes and BMW have also had their share of headaches.

That said, I must question your statement that the Maxima rear suspension "jolts you like crazy" when you hit an expansion joint on the highway. Is this your assessment, or are you just repeating what you've read i magazines or been told by Toyota sales people?

IMO, my 1995 Nissan Maxima SE outhandled everything in its class at the time and still fares well against almost any other FWD car. And I still have all my fillings. The fact that the Maxima utilizes a sophisticated multilink rear axle instead of a "fully independent" rear suspension is, as I understand it, part of the reason that the car corners flatter than a Camry, Accord, Acura TL or others. I certainly have no complaints about how the Maxima handles expansion joints, and I've driven over about 130k miles of them. Re-evaluate your position on this. Personally, I'd be more inclined to take a 2003 Maxima SE 6-speed built in Japan than a 2004 built in the states - especially if it ends up having an Altima like interior in addition to the platform.
    I have a 97 Maxima GLE and a 92 Maxima GXE. The 97 (like your 95 SE) uses the multilink rear axle and the 92 uses the four wheel independent suspension. IMHO, the 92 is better in shock-absorbing while the 97 is better in cornering. I don't know if the multilink is more "sophisticated", but many auto reviewers say that it is Nissan's "cheap" move in cutting cost. Personally, I prefer a compliant and comfortable ride over a "performance" oriented ride that is bouncy and choppy. If the 04 Maxima has Altima's interior and platform, it will be a pity even if it will be "fully independent". That is why I have been looking at the 02 Acura RL, which gives a great ride and Acura is giving great incentives.
  • skillmysterskillmyster Member Posts: 4
    thanks for the input about the extended warranty. kind of puts my mind at ease. i figured that there was no use in getting it because they are well built cars. i LOVE my car so far!! will have had it a week tomorrow. quite a step up from my 1994 altima. only thing i have noticed is the vibration in the front doors due to the speakers. i just have the standard stereo but when i listen to songs with bass, i can hear vibration. if i hold onto the inside door handle it stops. assuming it may be loose so i may try to work with it this weekend. i just have the bass setting to zero. i know this is nitpicky but would like to be vibration free. after all, only had it a week. other than that it is great. sunroof is awesome and so are the XEON headlights and love the power under the hood. big change going from a 150-hp 4-cylinder in my altima!!!! just hope i don't get stopped for speeding. LOL!
  • babe915babe915 Member Posts: 34
    ccermak, yes i have the best two wheels on the front. what is strange is some days it goes away
    or vib changes to a different speed. a cold or warm tire rides better then when they are hot or driving for awhile. maybe it is me as i am too much of a perfectionist when it comes to my cars.
    You see i went from a 2000 acura tl that was as good as it gets as far as quality built goes. owned honda/acuras for the last 10 years with no complaints what so ever
    I prefer the performance oriented ride, so that probably explains our different opinions. I don't drive aggressively, but I still prefer a tight handling car and am probably subconsciously willing to give up ride quality to get it. Considered the 5-series last fall and would definitely opted for the sport package, even though some complain that it's a bit "harsher". It's the tightest, best handling, decent size, four door sedan I've had the pleasure of driving. I opted to postpone replacing my Maxima and got an S2000 as a second car instead. And yes, my fillings are still intact!

As for the "cost cutting" criticism of Nissan, I think that's bunk too. I have never seen any comparison of the cost of the multilink beam vs. fully independent, but it must be next to insignificant on a $25k car. My 1995 Maxima SE came with OEM tires (Goodyear RSA's) that were fully twice as expensive (and performed twice as well) as the OEM tires on an 1995 Accord, Camry or even Lexus ES300. In my personal opinion, Toyota has milked their reputation and done far more "value engineering" (i.e. cost cutting) than any other manufacturer.

Finally, as for the Acura RL, my attorney has a 1999 and loves it. It has depreciated significantly, but he doesn't plan on selling it anytime soon - will probably pass it on to his daughter in a year or two.
    I don't know if the primary motive for the beam was cost-cutting -- only Nissan will know for sure. But I think even Nissan will admit that on hindsight, it has proven to be an inferior design. No problem on smooth surfaces, but hit a bump or 2 in mid-corner and the back end will dance around a little too much for comfort.
  • amazing2uamazing2u Member Posts: 67
    Talk about it... There is a road that I take to go to work every day that has a rather big "bump" on it (it's located in a small turn), if I hit it right (I always try to avoid it but sometimes I can't) my rear end goes all over the road. For a second, I feel like I'm loosing control. Not a good feeling I tell ya! :( I love my car but I hate the beam axle.
    Hopefully the 04 Maxima's four wheel independent system will bring back the ride comfort and rear end stabiity that I have missed. Truly, I like the Maxima, particular its engine and reliabiity, and I believe, IMO, it provides the best value in its class - even better than the 6 cylinder Camry and Accord (despite what the consumer mags say). I am also hopeful that the 04 Maxima will continue to be reliable (even though it will be made/assembled in the U.S.) and that its next generation nav. will use DVD rather than CD.
    Does anyone want to add to the wish list? But be realistic because we don't want the price to go above $30k. May be Nissan is monitoring this Board and will heed our wishes. Any idea when the 04 will be released and what are the specs?