Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Maxima

Comments

• sgrd0qsgrd0q Member Posts: 398
    jazzermp, I'd ask the same question in "Real-World Trade-In Values" topic under "Smart Shopper".
  • jazzermpjazzermp Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for the quick responses on my "maybe" purchase. I'm on my way to see a Gold SE with less miles for the same asking money at a Nissan dealer - way out of my neighborhood, but maybe a better deal. Thanks again!
    JazzerMP
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    The Maximas are now carrying pretty sizeable rebates and also showing up in some rental car fleets around the US (namely Budget, where I have rented one from). That lowers trade-in value quickly. And also, the first year is also the biggest hit too on trade, if that's any consolation.
  • gerapaugerapau Member Posts: 211
    The turning radius is quite large (40' sounds just about right) on all SEs with 17" wheels. It is due to the larger wheels. The 2000 Max SE with 17" wheels had the same large turning radius so it is not new to the 2002s.
  • dklaneckydklanecky Member Posts: 559
    I own both a 4th and 5th generation Maxima so am curious about your post.

Do you think there's any possibility that the repair costs (that are quoted)are inaccurate due to warranty coverage being in place on the 5th generation and probably not in existence on the 4th generation?

Have you called the local Nissan dealer and ask them to quote their prices for these repairs?

The numbers just don't seem to make much sense to me either. I guess the good news is that the odds of having to get these repairs done on a Maxima are much less than most FWD cars.

FYI, my 95 GLE with 190,000 miles has only had the shocks/struts from your list and is still in excellent condition.

The most frequent repair has been for oxygen sensors (twice) and brakes (twice).
  • berbelberbel Member Posts: 167
    Jazzer:

I would approach this pending purchase cautiously.
    The 2000 Max had what has been widely characterized
    as a "fuel cut out" problem w/ the manual tranny.
    The existence of that problem caused me to buy my
    SE w/ the auto transmission. Nissan has since cor-
    rected the fuel cut out issue (though if my memory
    serves me correctly, they never "formally" ac-
    knowledged its existence) Maybe some others on
    this board can be more helpful regarding this.
    I do know this.........at the time, early 2001,
    there were numerous posts on this board about
    the problem. Good luck.

berbel
  • gg2k2segg2k2se Member Posts: 109
    Hello gang. this topic arises occasionally, so I thought the following article might be of interest. It's called Car Clinic by Brad Bergholdt, Knight Ridder Newspapers as was published August 31 in my paper.

"The primary benefit of high-octane fuel is its anti-knock characteristic. In addition it may contain higher grade additives that help keep fuel injectors and intake valves clean.

Modern engines deliver far more power and fuel economy than their predecessors by employing a higher compression ratio and utilizing sophisticated combustion chamber designs and valve, fuel and ignition management systems.

Operating the engine on a lower octane fuel than specified will invite engine-damaging detonation and reduced power and lead to expensive repair bills. Premium fuel burns more slowly than less costly 87 or 89 grade. The air-fuel mixture burns at a lower temperature, providing a smooth and controlled flame front, lessening the chance of a hot and stressful explosion. Detonation can damage pistons, valves and head gaskets."
  • mirthmirth Member Posts: 1,212
    Just read the C&D criticism of the Max. They're bemoaning the fact that it isn't a true sports sedan. Here's my criticism of their article:

1. The Max is a sporty car that is also a practical family sedan. In this price range (around $25K), what other midsize sedan is as sporty while still being practical? The WRX comes closest, exceeding the Max for sportiness, but failing in the family sedan area (small trunk, no folding rear seats). The Grand Prix is another, but is neither as sporty as nor as practical as the Max. Plus, the Max has a better interior than both.

2. Front wheel drive. C&D complained about torque-steer and wished the Max was RWD. For those of us that have to live through winter, this would eliminate the Max from many people's list. Yeah, you can get winter tires for your RWD machine, but it's an added expense and hassle (two more visits to the dealer/mechanic per year - yay). Hmmm, I can get this vehicle that'll cost me a couple grand more in tires and about 10 extra visits to the garage, or this one that'll do fine in most conditions without buying new tires. Tough one.

3. C&D stated that the G35 would be a better choice. Sure, if I've got an extra $4000-$7000 (depending on the Max trim). But what if I don't? Plus, the RWD issue.

Basically, I think they want the Max to be a BMW with more cargo space. Well, guess what - a 3 series goes for like $35K without adequate cargo space. I'll take my $23K Max and be very happy, thanks.
  • hammer19hammer19 Member Posts: 31
    Mirth, you're absolutely right. I've had the same discussions with Bimmer-types many times and I'll stick with my Max, too. Now, if Nissan goes to a RWD platform for the '94 Max and thereafter, I will probably seek another car, but that won't be for at least 5 more years when my current lease comes due.(...and yes,I do live in the snow-belt in Canada, so I appreciate the differences between FWD and RWD...) Also, a few messages back, I was asking about the "vibrating hood" issue on my Max, and someone said there was a TSB for it but they didn't include the details. Could you please, so I have something to refer to when I talk to my dealer? On another note, for all you Zaino lovers out there, I just washed my car after a 4000km (2400 mile) trip thru the USA and the bugs and grime came off real easy. Just used a little of their car-wash fluid straight up on a wet cloth and the bugs just wiped off. I will use Zaino forever!!!
  • mrmc1mrmc1 Member Posts: 2
    dklanecky,

The numbers in the Consumer Guide book are NOT related to warranty status. I also have a three year old version of the guide when fourth generation Maximas were still on warranty and it contains the same repair costs.

I haven’t spoken to my Nissan dealer about this because they haven’t given me very straight answers in the past.

I’m glad to read that you’ve had good luck with your Maxima. How much did new struts cost you? Was it in the ballpark quoted by Consumer Guide?

My 1997 SE 5-speed has 135,000 trouble-free miles. The potential cost of replacing struts, a clutch, a pitted windshield and brakes in the sometime future has me rationalizing a possible trade up to a used 2002 with remaining warranty.
    hammer - I believe the link to the "hood rattle" TSB is posted a few hundred posts back. Sorry I don't have the exact post.
  • KThomp100KThomp100 Member Posts: 62
    Just wanted to share my excitement. Brought home a 03 Majestic Blue Maxima SE today. Has titanium, meridian, sunroof, Bose, trunk mat and I love it. Got it with Black leather. Was going to get the blue with grey leather but the black looks more classy IMHO and the mats are grey as is the carpet so it offsets the interior very nicely. Just got done putting my first of several coats of Zaino on it. I would NOT let the dealer wash it. It just came off the truck and they had not prepped it yet. They were very suprised that I insisted on washing it myself and their "detailer" came out and told me I would not be able to get the adhesive off that they use to keep the protective sheets on in shipping. Needless to say, a little warm soapy car wash and the glue residue is gone. Did virtually everything over the internet and I got it in Renton, WA for $250.00 over invoice. They didn't even try to sell me anything extra as I told them from the get go I did not want it and they honored my request...along with the comment.."I can see you have bought quite a few new cars". Anyway, with a whopping 20 miles on it I have now put it away for the night. I had a 99 Lexus GS 300 before this for 3 years and I gotta say, so far is isn't too far behind in the creature comfort areas AND it has a much more powerful engine. Just had to share!
  • smankowsmankow Member Posts: 15
    here is some other problems that I encountered with my 00 SE w/5 speed with under 40K. I have had the computer reprogrammed 2 times, 1 strut replaced, 2 steering racks, ignition coils, fuel cutoff problems, fuel economy issues, acceleration issues, etc.

Make sure that you review its repair history.

Steve
  • ccermakccermak Member Posts: 260
    I have an 00 SE Auto. Have had several trips to dealer for rattles/squeaks, but besides that just routine maintenance. Oh, had two tail lights burn out too, forgot that. All was done under warranty and costed me nothing besides my time. Turned 37K with none of the strut, computer, etc probs. Why did your computer need reprogramming, what did they do? Just curious.

Seeya
  • smankowsmankow Member Posts: 15
    Nissan claims that when the "service engine" light comes on that it generally means that the computer need to be reprogrammed. I know, it doesn't sound logical, but with Nissan, what is?

Mine computer needed reprogramming twice in the first year (about 4 months apart). The dealer was unable to tell me why the light came on.

Steve
    Edmunds.com has a long-term 2002 Maxima GLE in their fleet. From their recent update, they have questioned the car's long term reliability because they got a second recall notice in the mail on theirs.
  • bodydoublebodydouble Member Posts: 801
    That may be just dealer jibberish for resetting the computer after the "service light" came on.
  • bodydoublebodydouble Member Posts: 801
    Just curious how many of you think the new '04 Maxima will mark the end of the Maxima as anything resembling a sport sedan? I don't like all the rumours and spyshots that indicate it will be "bigger", "plusher", more "upscale".
  • kennyg5kennyg5 Member Posts: 360
    IMHO, such descriptive terms are just to drum up interest in the new design. I doubt very much the 04 will be significantly different from the current model. Among other things, Nissan will be limited by how much it can charge for the new model, which, in turn, will restrict the extent of upgrades it can make so that it can still make a profit on the new car. I also doubt the validity of the ever increasing HP ratings. The current engine is rated in excess of 250 hp, but I don't think it provides, in relative terms, significantly greater power than the prior rendition, which I believe was rated at 220 hp.
    That said, however, I think the current Maxima is a very good car, except for the rear suspension, particularly in light of its reliability record and engine design, which I recall has been rated 10 best in the past 7 or 8 years.
  • gerapaugerapau Member Posts: 211
    While I don't believe that a second recall notice should make anyone worry about the Max's long term reliability, I have had nothing but problems with my 2K SE 5 speed since I bought it 3 years ago. This is a wonderful car to drive but 20+ visits to my local service department have tainted my opinion of the Maxima's reliability. The problems that I have had so far include:
    - many squeaks and rattles
    - rear bumper was re-painted due to misalignment of trunk
    - reprogramming of ecm due to problem on cold start
    - reprogramming of ecm due to "fuel-cut" problem
    - replacement of front brake rotors after 15,000 miles
    - transmission problems after 5,000 miles (stranded on side of highway when car would not go into 1st gear)
    - power drivers seat switch was replaced
    - all 6 ignition coils were replaced (it was tough convincing the dealer to do this since no tsb was ever issued for this problem in Canada even though one was issued in the US and the cars are virtually identical)
    - axle seal was replaced when transmission was leaking
    - axle seal was replaced once again when transmission was leaking
    - faulty altinator was replaced (this one stranded me while on vacation and over 150 miles from nearest dealer. Thank God that Nissan roadside assistance picked up the CA$700 towing charge)
    - leaking transmission (for the third time in under a year) prompted the dealer to overhaul the transmission. Fault bearings were the problem.
    - other minor adjustments and problems

While I have had many problems, I know of at least 3 friends who have 2K+ Maximas and none of them have had any problems at all. Maybe I have a "Friday" car. I am not sure. Hopefully the problems will not continue as my warranty is about to expire.
  • twinstevetwinsteve Member Posts: 7
    Other than configuration of options/standard equipment, are there any major differences between SE and GLE?

GLE has "wood trim" and 55 series tires (I think), but what else is different than SE?
    From equipment lists, the SE has sport suspension and a rear spoiler. Probably a quicker final-drive for faster acceleration as well, but I am not sure about this one.
  • rebel22rebel22 Member Posts: 11
    I'm in college currently and drive an 88 Ford Ranger pickup. I know it's not the most glamorous thing in the world but it gets the job done. It only has 55000 miles on it so I know it should last. Recently there have been lots of problems with it. I just had to get all the seals on it fixed which ran about 500 bucks and now the AC isn't working. Mechanic quoted me about 600 to fix that because it's in a difficult position to even work on. Had the rotors replaced earlier this summer for about 500. Anyway, can I expect more problems? I was looking into a maxima. I love the engines on those things, i drove my friends 94 GLE and it is awesome. He has about 100K on the thing and it hasn't given him any problems so i know they are reliable. I found a 97 Maxima SE fully loaded for 11800 in my area. It has 65000 miles on the thing and would be a much improved ride than what i am driving now. I hope to be able to get that price down to about 10500. Do you think i would be asking for trouble looking at a car with 65K on it? Would an extended warranty be a wise choice since it is no longer covered by the manufacturer? If anyone has any experiences with their maximas can you let me know about some of your experiences with maintenance and any repairs i may be looking at up to 100K miles.
    No problem with buying a '97 SE with only 65000 miles on it IMHO. My previous Max was a '97 SE with around 150000km (90000 miles) and it was as good as the day it was new when I sold it and replaced it with my new '03 SE. Obviously there is a little wear and tear on a 5 yr old car. Mine had some minor door dents from parking lot idiots and a few minor scratches but, mechanically, it was just as good as new. The buy-out on my lease for it was a little more than I could justify, or I would have kept it as my second car for another 10 years! Believe me, these cars are bullet-proof. In 5 years of ownership I only replaced an oxygen sensor ("check engine" light), and put a new set of tires on it, along with regular oil-changes. As a matter of fact, I only replaced the front brake pads for the 2nd time a month before selling it, and that was the first time I replaced the rear brake pads since leasing the car! You have nothing to worry about, although as an educated consumer, I would still have any car checked out by a good mechanic, or AAA if you're a member, before buying. Good luck!
  • pegasus17pegasus17 Member Posts: 536
    Anyone know what the NISSAN fix was for the hood vibration TSB? I just bought a 2003 SE (hard to find cloth model without sunroof) and the hood seems fine although there is a bit of "play" in the latch. Don't know if this will cause the aforementioned vibration problem. i will keep an eye/ear on it, though. All else with this car is outstanding (so far). Glad I test drove it before settling for a relatively sedate Camry/Accord...
    Yeah, I'm still looking for the info on the hood vibration-thing too. My '03 vibrates some at high speeds around the driver's side hinge area of all places. My car is titanium, with a Zaino coat as well, so it's real easy to see reflections "wobbling" when I drive! So if anyone knows the TSB number and details I'd appreciate the info before I take my Max in for it's first check-up. Thanks.
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    hey Grand Prix GTP is just as sporty as the Maxima. I little less HP than Maxima but quite a bit more torque.
    I owned a brand new '95 Gr. Prix GT. I had it in the shop every month for a different problem or a revisit for a previous problem. Everyone in the
    service dept. knew me on a first name basis....I
    was there so often. Maybe their build quality is
    better now that seven years has elapsed but that
    experience left a very sour taste in my mouth for
    GM products.
    Incidentally, rumor abounds that they are bringing
    out a new Gr. Prix called the "G Force." It is
    supposed to be some whiz bang new sports sedan.

We'll see.........!

berbel
    The pics I've seen of the G Force look promising. If it had been out this year I would have given it serious consideration. But beyond power, I didn't care for the current Grand Prix's looks inside or out. I'm glad Pontiac is moving away from the body cladding look.
  • ek01ek01 Member Posts: 37
    I have a 2000 SE with annoying clicking noise originating from underneath the driver's section of the dash or steering column. It only clicks when I hit a bump. Anybody kow what the source of the problem and the fix is?
  • roar1roar1 Member Posts: 193
    The number of posts for the Toyota Corolla ( you know, that high performance
    4- door sports sedan ) since Mon. 9/6 has been over 33. The Jetta board had
    over "30" in one day.

This board has had 6, and 3 of those referenced Pontiac's. What the
    " H " is going on ??

Let me try to resurrect this virtually dead board. Why does the VQ35
    engine take a smaller oil filter than the VQ30 ? Don't say it's an economy
    move because the VQ30's filter is already quite small. Do the engineer's
    want the oil pressure to come up faster ? Are there any Nissan Tech's
    out there that could answer this ?
    Look under the dash. There might be a cable or a wire harness that has
    come loose over time. This has not been a common complaint. ( at least
    not on the drivers side ).
    I think ROARL is upset with us because we mentioned
    another brand of car on the Max board.
    Roarl.....don't be so hard on mirth and I......
    we've had a long week!

Mirth.....what else do you know about the G Force?
    Just curious!

berbel
    You might get better answers to your Pontiac questions over at the
    Pontiac board. Just a thought !!
    I heard that it was suppose to get 280hp, but who knows what it'll really have.
    Yeah, I might, but Mirth might have the answers too
    which would save me the time and effort of going to
    the Pont. board. Give me a break, Roarl!
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Asking that Pontiac discussion move to a Pontiac discussion rather than taking place in a Maxima discussion seems appropriate to me.

:)

Pat
    Sedans Host
    I agree with our host. C'mon folks, let's not pollute our pristine forum here with talk of inferior vehicles (in Pontiac's case "inferior" can be translated into "pile of junk") I'm always amused that many North-American auto-workers with probably a grade 11 education level, or lower, are paid more money than a family member of mine who is an eye doctor in Ontario, with over 8 year's of post-secondary education. Just baffles the mind....and is more aptly displayed in the "quality" of their cars (hehehe) when compared to a much superior Japanese car like ours. And they cost about the same, or more, money, too!!! Maxima talk only please.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    You must be thrilled that the 2004+ Maxima is going to be built in the US?

I'm hopeful that by the time I need to replace my 1995 SE, BMW will still have it's European Delivery program intact.
  • cedarparkcedarpark Member Posts: 26
    Hi,

I had been shopping used hondas, new Toyotas, and now used Maximas in an attempt to get the best bang for my buck.

Fell in love (danger will robinson) with a Black Special Anniversary Edition Maxima. The dealer has listed it as a 2000 model, but 2 things strike me as weird:

1. Edmunds (and other sites) only list the Anniversary edition as a 2001 model year.

2. The carfax report he let me read over (just to prove the car was good) had decoded the VIN to a 2001 model.

Was the Anniversary edition only a 2001 option? If so, that's cool that the dealer has it listed improperly I would think.

Its a Mercedes dealership, and they sell their trade-ins. They gave me an offer of 19,900. It has 26,400 miles. The offer is below what Edmunds says to shoot for, so I love the offer. The car is a very sweet ride. That thing purrs.

So if anyone could answer the model year question, that would be great. Oh, and of course, what they think of the deal.
  • pcorrell2002pcorrell2002 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 99 SE, my first was a 92 SE, and the ride is incredibly smoother on the 99. It has 36K and Nissan is offering a 6year100K warranty, from date of original purchase, that covers drive train plus non-wearable items. The car drives like a dream. It will need new tires soon, currently it has Goodyear Eagle RS-A's and I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions. I do want all weather tread. Thanks
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,513
    The SE size is not common (215-55/16), so your choices are somewhat limited. But, my '99 will need tires soon, so I have a vested interest.

Look at the Dunlop SP sport A2. Well regared at tirerack.com. I just put a set on my wifes Quest, and they work well.

Also check out the Yokohama Avids (tourings probably). Supposed to be a good tire at a very good price.

TIrerack is a good place to start to narrow down what will work for you, based on your criteria.

There is also a "tires, tires, tires" topic on one of the boards in TH where you can ask the same question.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Just clicked over to about 500 miles on my new Majestic Blue 03 Max SE. Love this car. Not a squeak, rattle, paint flaw, or anything wrong so far. I babied it and drove very easy for the first 500 miles and now it is time to push it a little bit. The engine sure sounds sweet when you step on it, not to mention how fast it goes. Bose system is awesome. First gas tank just a little under 20mpg, so far on second tank trip computer says 25.4 avg. My only wish list for the car is to have the tilt wheel go up just a little more than it does and have the steering wheel controls lighted at night. Otherwise, this car is awesome and in my opinion just as good as the 99 Lexus GS 300 it replaced. At 1500 miles will switch to Mobil 1 in the engine. 2 coats of Zaino so far and this car is turning heads!

03 Max,
    Majestic Blue, black leather
    Meridian, Titanium, traction control, sunroof,leather & trunk mat.
    Sorry, but I'm about to enter negotiations, so to speak.
    Three comments: 1. I think the Anniversary edition was a 2001 model. Check the label in between the drivers/rear door - it must have the mfg date.
    2. I just bought a brand new 2003 Maxima SE for ~3k off a 26.5k sticker. NISSAN is overloaded with Maximas and they are dealing. Your price of 19.9k for a 2001 seems a bit high considering that. 3. If you do like the car, ensure that you are entitled to the balance of the 3/36k factory warranty. If not, what warranty do you have? GOOD LUCK...
    I got the poor man's version of a new 2003 SE - cloth, no sunroof (MSRP $26.5k). Similar impressions after 300 miles; I love to drive this car! I agree with your comments about the tilt wheel not having enough up travel as well as the UNLIT steering wheel controls. I'm still confused about what type of gas to use - manual says 87 is OK but 91 is recommended for maximum performance. Here in SW Ohio my choices are 87, 89 and 93 octane. I plan to try the 89 grade (BP or SHELL) and see how that works. Otherwise, all is well...
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    man or auto?
    I went with the deal anyway--they gave me much more than my POS trade in was worth (more than other dealers as well). Price still seemed fair for this area, and by every pricing guide I could find.

For me there's a big difference between 26.5 and 19.9 (me personally and my budget). I did ask for opinions though, and congratulations on your drive! Sounds like you got a great deal.

Dealer said it was a 2001 (like you confirmed) and had misprinted something.

For the area I'm in, and the amount of shopping I've done, I'm happy with the deal. Its the first time on any car I've shopped that I've gotten a below TMV/blue book value. Oh, and it comes with the remainder of the 3 year/36k warranty. Hopefully though, the "bullet proof" status of these engines that I've been reading about and the reliablity rating is good.

That, and I think I look cool in it. :) (only kidding, but I love the ride and love the way it looks.) Perhaps my emotions played a part too--I'm at the point where I had to get something asap, and of every make and mode I've looked at, this was the best deal/offer/car for the money for me. The anniversary edition apparently came with an infiniti engine which I know has less than that new 255 hp, but at 227 it was nice and quiet, and seemed to work for me. Very, very smooth. Love the auto-dimming rear view mirror, and the titanium looking pendals/decor.

Thank you for replying, I appreciate it. Have I mentioned I'm excited and happy? The car in close running for this was a camry that nobody was moving down in price on, so the Maxima wins...and I think I got more car for my money.
    Regfootball--I left that part out..I got the Auto trans and while filling up today I did find a small chip in the paint. It is on the corner of the trunk lid driver side basically above the fuel tank filling area. Don't think I am going to do anything about it because I had to really look to see it but it still makes me mad. Not sure how accurate that MPG trip computer is either. It showed an avg of 25.2 but when I filled up it took 15.9 gallons of 89 octane in 344.1 miles. Oh well, just the 2nd tank and I am very happy with the car. Is anybody else going to switch to Mobil 1 or other synthetic oil? I also ordered some K&N oil filters over the net for under $10.00 each. Nothing but the best for my new Max! I got it for $250.00 over invoice via the internet dealer in Renton, WA. Sticker was $30,343 and took advantage of the .09 financing too. Car really feels a lot more expensivem than it is both in the way it drives and quality of the interior appointments.