Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Maxima

Comments

• lmp180psulmp180psu Member Posts: 399
    pbhatti: thanx for the link to the new pics. The Max looks pretty good as a whole, but there are a few points/questions to consider IMHO:

1) Why would Nissan only allow seating for 4, because that might limit the appeal for families looking for a larger, near luxury vehicle without the "Lexus-type boringness"

2) Are those fog lights on the bottom side of the bumper? If so I don't understand the function of them.

3) Finally, the center stack looks a bit empty below the HVAC controls, as a result looking like you are missing features and/or couldn't afford them.

Overall, the car looks promising and has enough to distinguish it for the Altima.
  • lmp180psulmp180psu Member Posts: 399
    this release answered my first question about the 4 passenger seating( good thing it is optional). I think Nissan should have made the 5 speed auto standard on the SL models, and I wonder what they said that the engine hp was 260 "plus" (don't they know by now, and does that mean 265,270?)thanks again for the info, very interesting. Hopefully the price is not too outrageous so people will have a reason to buy a Max over an Altima or a G35.
  • pbhattipbhatti Member Posts: 87
    1. -

2. I think they are fog lights but from the pictures they appear to point off to the sides instead of pointing straight ahead.

3. -

4. HP & Torque: Nissan always says "plus" for the HP because the number is usually close to one of their competitors; TL-Type S in this case. For example on the Titan (their new full size truck) they say "over 300 HP and over 375 lb-ft of torque" and for the Quest (Toyota Sienna) they are saying "230-plus horsepower and 235-plus lb-ft of torque".

5. I think the different transmissions might because the SE will have more aggressive shift points giving it better acceleration and the SL is aimed more at the entry level luxury buyer; people who preferred the I35(being dropped) over the Maxima.
  • dabronxrdabronxr Member Posts: 73
    About time!
  • nissangirlnissangirl Member Posts: 186
    Just my opinion. But the front just does not look good.

I'm glad I went ahead and got my '03.
  • achadhaachadha Member Posts: 106
    I just saw pics of the 2004 Maxima. I think it looks very hideous! The front looks terrible with the Nissan logo in the middle. The lights and fog lights look nice but why are the fog lights on the side of the car? I dislike the back at all the back window looks very small might be hard to see out of it while driving. The area I am very disappointed at is the interior. It looks too much like the Z interior. I dislike the steering wheel and the stereo and climate control layout. Thank god I purchased my 2003 SE 6speed Titanium polish. I think this will be a classic. The 04 Max might have about 265hp but how much faster will it be?Seems to me that the 04 Maxima will be priced in the 35k range. I don't understand nissan unless they are going to get rid of the I35. Now the Maxima will be competing with the Acura TL type S, Audi A4, and BMW 3 series. That is not a smart move by nissan.
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    It looks a little like the G35 sedan to me. Hate its looks though.
  • jg28jg28 Member Posts: 257
    The G35 is rather handsome in my opinion. Though unlikely, it's possible the lower lights are cornering lamps and not foglights. I echo the safety sentiments about the rear glass. There are huge pillars of which one cannot see out. I think this would present a serious safety issue esp when backing out or making lane changes. All in all, I'm very very disappointed in the new Maxima. But honestly, kinda glad that it holds no desire for me to replace my 2002 with a 2004.
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    Don't mind the exterior so much...but the interior looks to goofy with the gauge pod and all......I like the 2003 int. better.
    I agree the 03 interior is so luxurious looking the new one looks like a spaceship i like silver alot but that is too much. I was in the same situation back in early 1999. I was considering a 99.5 max SE limited when i knew the 00' was coming out in 4 months. I saw early sketches and did not like the exterior pics especially the back of the car the interior i thought was very nice but I knew the 00' car was not that much faster than mine so I went ahead and got a black on black fully loaded 5 speed 99.5. I decided the extra gear in the 6speed and the 255hp was just too hard to resist so went ahead and got an 03' after looking at the '04 pics. I know the 04' design will ever grow on me. :(
  • ccermakccermak Member Posts: 260
    To me the jury's still out. Gotta sit in it and see if the interior feels like the Altima or the Z350. If it does, this car will flop. Even though I don't like my 2000 SE Max as much as I wish I did, I can't see trading in for this one. Maybe a stellar deal on an 03 cuz the 04 is out, otherwise it's hello G35 or maybe a new Lincoln LS. Yes it's American, but the new new ones are pretty sweet.
    i do like the yellow leather in that 2004 Max pic.
  • 92drexel92drexel Member Posts: 153
    I love the looks of the '04 (I'm glad I came to my senses and didn't trade my '00 on an '03). I dunno about the dash yet. The extra buttons are definately eye candy, but I think that the dash on the 00-03 are more functional (I'll reserve judgement until I test drive one). Hopefully, the HIDs are less easier to steal. Being able to steal $1,000 HIDs in less than 20 secs is horrible (Nissan should be ashamed).

The 5-speed auto will definately shave at least 0.5 off of the 0-60 time (maybe comparable to a G35). I just hope that Nissan hasn't lied about the horsepower rating like they did the 02's and 03's.

That orange SE looks funky!

I just hope they keep the price reasonable.

Drex

PS: Those fog lights are suppose to be cornering lights.
  • obiwankenobi1obiwankenobi1 Member Posts: 290
    Per www.freshalloy.com, pricing will be from $28K - $34K, which to me is a bit much for a car that looks like that. I am glad to have my 02 SE. The only thing I would want that this new one has is the IRS, but with how unnatractive, big, bulky and overpriced the New Max is, I can live with a multi-link beam.

Horsepower is 265 and Torque 270 per Nissan's website. Front wheel drive only for now, but who knows if an AWD will be released.

Obi
    2002 Maxima SE
    Sterling Mist/Frost Cloth
    25,000 flawless miles (with exception of the CD pooping out. Got a new one on Fri! YAY!!)
    Deep Tinted Glass
    I have had my new '03 SE for almost 2 months now. Took it on it's first road trip this past weekend and glad to say that my mpg has now increased to 23.5 overall. Hopefully it will increase just a bit more for the highway.
  • jcw915jcw915 Member Posts: 31
    Hey guys...
    Don't know if it's just me, but for the temperature...has anyone ever seen it measure BELOW 32°? When I drive at nights, there's ice and SNOW with the radio station in my local area saying it's 25°, yet my car still says ICY 32°. Anyone think the sensor has gone bad? I have never seen the temp on that lcd go below 32°...

Nissangirl, let me know what Nissan says about your sunroof because i'm having the same problem. I've been to two nissan dealers and they all gave me BS answers. I called up Nissan consumer affairs, and they told me that the design for the 02-03 maxima sunroof is the EXACT same as the previous...which I DON'T BELIEVE. They told me that it's NORMAL for the water to drip in going through a car wash. Blah talking to those people makes my blood pressure go up. Here's the problems that I've been having in the past month on my 03 maxima. Anyone else besides me having these?: sunroof that drips water down when going through car washes, RATTLES UP THE WAZOO (dashboard, driver's side seatbelt, the sunroof visor (that thing you can open or close) rattles when I go over bumps or when I go over 10 mph, ANNOYING PAINT CHIPS ON THE HOOD AND BUMPER, rear driver side window can hear loud wind noises when the window is closed.

Two months ago, I took it in saying that my brakes make grinding noises when the brakes are cold (when parked over night). They told me that it's normal and it has something to do with the newer type brake pads...I think that's BS because i've had that problem for 2 months and after driving home from the dealer, the problem never came back again (they must have done something to it).
    So anyone having any problems like mine or am I just weird. lol
    Sorry to hear of all the problems you are having. No, the only prob I've had is the car wash situation. The sunroof doesn't leak in the rainy weather or whenever you hold a running water hose over it, just the car wash. And this is my 4th Maxima with a sunroof, none of my other Max's had this leak problem. My Service Mgr at my local Nissan dealer is awaiting the word from one of the Nissan Engineer's on what to do about my sunroof. Will let you know.

Good luck - hate to hear of all those problems, I hope they don't start happening to mine, I just love my car, and my husband doesn't want to hear my not liking it anymore. LOL!!
  • kyleknickskyleknicks Member Posts: 433
    i haven't had the problems you guys are having on my 2k GLE....

one issue i do have is... sometimes the cd skips on my bose... i know it's not the cd since it's new... but it only happens occasionally... i dont know if nissan will fix it if they can't repicate the problem when i bring in the car.. i dont wanna waste my time bringing it if they wont fix it... any thoughts on this? or does your bose do the same?

hey.. what happened to the pictures on the 04 maxima? i just went there and it's not there anymore.. just one pic left on that site...
    if anyone saved them to their computer.. can you post them? on a website or send it to us? i want to show some of my friends who has maxima's how ugly the new max is.. LOL i can't stand that grill..

HIDS Headlites... anyone selling their 02 or 03 HID headlites? i know that people are getting their HID's stolen so some max owners are actually swapping out their lites for the 00/01 lites... i'm thinking about ordering the HIDs from coutsey nissan and getting them installed on my car... i live in quiet area so geting them stolen is not big of a concern... but spending 1000 bucks is a hit on my wallet..
    The sunroof seal is messed up, or else the drains are clogged. It shouldn't leak at all through the car wash.
    Are you trusting the trip computer to tell you your gas mileage nissangirl? If you are, don't count on it being 23.5. On the trip computer, mine always stays between 23-24 but when I actually calculate it out, it's 19-21 (combined city/hwy).
  • kennyg5kennyg5 Member Posts: 360
    Wow, looks like a busy Board today!! Everyone gives his or her two cents. Here is mine ...

The front grille of the 04 Max reminds me of my 84 Olds Cutlass Ciera. The Olds emblem was placed in the center of the grille, but the Max emblem is much bigger. I agree that the rear design the car may significantly limit visibility and raise safety concerns.

The new Bose stereo in the 04 Max has 320 watts of power, is that what the Q45 now have? I hope the new stereo is much better than the "premium" Bose in my 03 Max GLE which, IMHO, sucks in terms of audio quality.

I also agree that the trip computer is not very accurate and cannot be trusted. Since I do not drive that much, the actual mph is not really of great concerns to me. Do other cars have more accurate trip computers? What about the Q45 or G35, which are higher end Nissan products?
    I had 2 different loaner Passats, and their trip computers were off when calculating mileage as well.
    Here were my figures: 455 total miles on 19.5 gallons. I guess it is off a fraction. I'm pleased so far.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    A few questions for the field:

1. The 2004 Maxima will be "Assembled for the first time in the United States at the award-winning Nissan North America Manufacturing Smyrna & Decherd Tennessee Plant". Who gave the "award" and does anybody know of an independent source for rating the quality of manufacturing plants? I hear all the PR about how wonderful Nissan's Tennessee plant is, but I'd like to see some objective facts to back it up. BMW, Mercedes and others have had horrific problems maintaining quality - especially with new models (Z3, ML320 respectively) - at their US plants. I've tried to check J.D. Powers website, but nothing on plant ratings comes up. Did Nissan award themselves a prize in Tennessee? Or can they actually match Japanese production and fit and finish quality.

2. Any info on the weight of the new Maxima? With marginal increase in power over the 2003, it seems as though acceleration will be a wash and handling might be a bit better, but not if the wieght is up and the balance is more front end biased.

3. 92drexel: You mentioned in previous posts about Nissan initially overestimating horsepower for the (255hp) 02/03 models. Personally, I thought the 222hp 00/01 was the worst offender of reported power that didn't translate into performace. Where Nissan stuffed the extra 32 hp over my 190 hp 1995 SE 5-speed I'll never know. In any event, I believe that the 2003 255hp 6-speed Maxima is already close to the limits of what can be done with a FWD setup. I also agree that for those who need an automatic, a 5-speed is better than a 4-speed, but the big problem with Nissan (and most other Japanese/US automatics) is hesitant acceleration and slow shifting. I'm not a drag racer, but I could never get in and out of traffic with a Nissan automatic the way I can with a manual. Try out a Mercedes E500 or, better yet, any AMG product. They do automatics right.
  • aftyafty Member Posts: 499
    Nissan's Smyrna plant has won the Harbour Award for most productive assembly plant in North America for the last 7 years running. You can read about it here:

http://www.autofieldguide.com/articles/070205.html
  • dklaneckydklanecky Member Posts: 559
    My dealer told me that the engine and transmission in the new Maxima will continue to be built in Japan and shipped over here for final assembly.

He was pointing to content labels on an Altima at the time(less than 100% US origin). Can anyone else confirm this?

If true, this should help maintain quality initially at least in the critical components.

Now if we can get a dentist to take care of that giant tooth :-)
    JCW915,

my temperature gage seems to be working fine this morning driving in to work mine went down to 28f seems to be ok. I too am noticing alot of wind noise from the rear passenger windows. I have taken my car to a car wash once but had no problems with a leak. But maybe I did not notice because I had my cover over the sunroof. How much water usually leaks in? I was having trouble with my memory seats but figured out that the parking brake had to be up for it to work correctly :)
  • ambriatidambriatid Member Posts: 7
    How much can one expect to pay to have a new key made. My dealer has charged me 82.00 dollars to reprogram my original key. While picking my car up at the dealers, I decided to try both keys. One worked one did not. They then said oh it must be the transponder in the key you will need a new key in the amount of 85.00. The problem originally happened because I changed the battery. The service advisor also said that it could not have happened just by changing the battery. Anyone know what the cost of key should be?
    They can be quite expensive to have remade. They also have to be reprogrammed as well.
  • slaggy76slaggy76 Member Posts: 3
    I have the same problem with my cds skipping. I'm thinking since I live in a cold-weather area and I leave the cds in overnight, that would probably be the cause of the skipping. No matter what, I can't see Nissan replacing a system for that reason...
  • 92drexel92drexel Member Posts: 153
    According to nissannews.com, the weight distribution of the '04 is a little better than the '03 (61%/39% front/rear versus 62/38). But the '04 weighs 200 lbs more (that's a lot of weight)!

That extra cog in the 5-speed auto tranny should more than make up for that difference. But, surprisingly, the '04 SL (aka the GLE) gets the 4-speed auto. Huh??? In these days of streamlining, why offer two auto trannies???

I'm dying to see the price. I agree with others that 34k is way too much. Nissan'll have to knock off 7 or 8k for me to bite.

A few on maxima.org dynoed their '02/03's and the results didn't jibe with an advertised 255 hp rating. In fact it was very similar to the rating of an altima (240-245hp). Someone also compared a '00/'01 to an '02/03 and the results indicated an 18-20 hp increase, not a 33 hp increase. Then the '03 altima claims a 5 hp increase over the '02 (245 vs 240). Very strange (I guess they had to one-up, er five-up the accord).

I heard those MB's have good trannies, but I don't plan to trade my crib on one anytime soon. :-)
  • nabinabi Member Posts: 15
    Has any body have whining sound as it revs up (from 1000rpm)? Even my 10 years old buick does not do that. I also feel that engine does not rev up smoothly. Should I suspect knocking? I have been using premium gas on '03 Max(SE auto with 2K miles) I'm going to see what dealer says about rattles (audio area and seatbelt?) and squeaks (cold-start break and shocks?) Thanks.
    While members of this Board have expressed some concerns about the 04 Max being made in the USA, members on the Maxima 2004 Design Board have taken the issue a couple of rungs higher. For those who are interested, read posts 195 and 206 on that Board, in particular. They are almost comical, as the writers took diametrically opposite views on substantially the same issue - i.e. UAW workers and their work product.

While I generally agree that Japanese made cars tend to be more trouble-free (possibly due to higher quality control), the trend seems to rebut that statement or presumption. For example, look at the Lexus ES300 (made in Japan) and the Acura TL (made in the US) with their transmission problems. Even the venerable Maxima, which has enjoyed years of praise for its reliability, is showing signs of weakness in the quality arena. I know this because I own 3rd, 4th and 5th generation Maximas, and I have noticed that the quality of materials used in the Maxima has deteriorated over the years. For instance, the sheet metal seems to get thinner, the paint seems to become cheaper, and when you slam the doors or the trunk, you no longer hear that solid "thump" from yester years. This may be attributable to the fact that Nissan is trying to pack more features and gadgets into the Max while keeping its price competitive.

Notwithstanding the foregoing, the technology in the Max has improved, and the Max is still superior than comparable (or even higher) priced cars in terms of reliability. That is why I bought the 03 Max even though its quality has somewhat diminished.

Just my opinion ... others may think differently. I agree to disagree :-)
    Does anyone know how the skyroof (not the sunroof) works in the 04 Max? The 4-seater design may be good for a small family or an owner who does not expect or want much company :) IMHO, it looks more upscale than the mundane or pedestrian 5 passenger configuration. Do the rear seats recline and/or vibrate? Are they heated and/or air-conditioned (like those in the Lexus LS-430)? Hey, if Nissan is asking 35k for the car, they better put in more goodies :-)
  • kyleknickskyleknicks Member Posts: 433
    LOL
    Vibrating seats are great because they provide soothing to invigorating massages to the rear passengers -- unfortunate for the owner-driver who does not get to enjoy what he paid for :-) You should try them out in the LS 430 and you will see what I mean ... no kidding.
    Nissangirl, how can you get 455 from 19.5? The tank only holds 18.5.

I just barely got a new key for my Max and it was $90 with tax. Outrageous!
    Nissan does seem to play around a lot with horsepower ratings. I am sure there are some differences that can be extracted out of "tweaking" essentially the same engine, but it's getting a bit absurd. Nissan's 3.5 liter V6 is being used in almost every model from trucks and SUV's to the 350Z (and much of Infinitis line up as well). Depending upon the application, ranges from 240 hp to 287 hp. I think that's more marketing BS than engineering reality.

Whenever I take my 1995 SE in for service, I get an offer of a test drive of the newest model. When the 3.0 liter V-6 was "tweaked" in 2000 to jump from 190 horsepower to 222, I was skeptical. Sure enough, when I test drive a 2000 SE 5-speed, it actually felt slower off the line than my 1995. Independent tests by Road and Track seemed to confirm that, with the 2000 rated at 7.0 seconds 0-60 vs. 6.7 seconds for the 1995. Perhaps the weight creep between 1995 and 2000 offset any actual horsepower increase, but I also believe that Nissan either underrated the 1995 or overrated the 2000. It wasn't until they actually increased the displacement to 3.5 liters in 2002 that the car got quicker in the real world.

As it stands, the Maxima is quick enough for me. Nissan's credibility is a bit tainted though.
  • blh7068blh7068 Member Posts: 375
    " I think that's more marketing BS than engineering reality. "

So are you saying that the horsepower figures are really all the same? The tweaks in hp are most likely real. Different intake/exhaust manifolds, cams, and air/fuel mixture are all components that will vary hp in applications that use an engine that are the same in displacement.
    It's called "refueling"
  • eblumeblum Member Posts: 52
    I have to believe that hp ratings have to be somewhat close to the real figure. Look at what happened with the Ford Mustang Cobra and more recently Hyundai. Both companies misrepresented hp figures and got hit with lawsuits.

If Nissan's figures are wrong...someone should call them to the carpet.
    From my own experience, seemingly confirmed by Road and Track, the 2000 Nissan Maxima SE 5-speed with 222 horsepower was slower than the 1995 5-speed with 190 horsepower (0-60 in 7.0 and 6.7 seconds respectively). They both had essentially the same 3.0 liter V6, with the modifications in 2000 to the exhaust system.

I know there are a lot of other factors that could lead to this result. Vehicle weight, etc., etc. But the point is that Nissan went hog wild "marketing" the horsepower increase when every test of the new car showed it to be the same or slower than it's predicessor. That's why I referred to it as more marketing BS than "engineering reality". Maybe I should have said "real world results" instead.

As far as "calling Nissan to the carpet", they have had their share of embarassments. As drexel92 pointed out, the current Maxima was initially rated at 260+ horsepower and then, after some challenges, all the brochures and other materials changed to 255. The Q45 has been resoundly beaten up for hiding its 340 horsepower somewhere other than the engine compartment. Test it against a similar weight 282 hp 540i and it's pretty embarassing. I'm not sure this stuff is worthy of lawsuits, given the state of world affairs. But I would still let my butt-o-meter validate performance rather than rely on horsepower figures that, even if technically accurate, are not always directly correlated to performance.
  • krenarkrenar Member Posts: 2
    apparently i'm new here i just hav a qs, i'm gettin a max next month, i'm wonderin how much do u guys think it would be for an 02 max with 30 thousand miles or less with standard tranny? Thx
  • eblumeblum Member Posts: 52
    I also don't think lawsuits should be used as long as the company makes good on their promises. Ford fixed the underpowered cars and Hyundai is giving extended warranties. I hope these cases make manufactures think long and hard before they post bogus numbers.
    I am liking the 2004 exterior more and more now (like the orange!), but why is the dash design so freaking ugly? I thought the Altima was sposed to be a premium car.
    If you think the Altima is a premium car, think again. It is almost like saying the "premium" Bose system in the 03 Max is an audiophile's dream machine. Ha ha ...

In any event, I don't understand your sudden and totally unexpeccted comment about the Altima while you are talking about the Max. Am I missing something??
  • porknbeansporknbeans Member Posts: 465
    Click on over to the smart shopper - real world value link and a guy by the name of Terry will help you out. Be sure and give him as much info as possible including options, location and condition. Tell him I sent you and he'll even throw in a bowl of soup with his answer. :)
    Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
    The Fraternal Order of Procrastinators
  • berbelberbel Member Posts: 167
    Re yur post 6165...........

Very well stated and I couldn't agree with you more. I distinctly remember the venerable NISSAN
    initially marketing the Max that year as "260 hp"
    and thinking to myself....."uh, kicking it up to
    Acura CL Type "S" levels." Then I turned around
    and saw the final product rated at "255 hp" and
    thought...."I wonder who was responsible for that
    corporate goof?" I suppose I can't blame them for
    trying to be "competitive" BUT let's do it honestly.

berbel
  • 1997montez341997montez34 Member Posts: 202
    I can confirm the HP debacle. I have a 1995 GLE and my Mom had a 2000 SE. My '95 will walk all over the 2000, even with 130K on it. Somehow I think the car got heavier. Either that or the '95-'99 made 220+hp all along and they underrated it on purpose. Anyone dyno a '95 and a '00?