Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Maxima

Comments

• Thinking about buying a '98 or 99 low mileage Maxima SE. I'd like to put no more than 2K into it in terms of suspension mods and maybe a short throw shifter. Any suggestions for low cost good quality shocks/springs, and a shifter?
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 14,434
    Steve Millen motorsports has a nice short throw whifter kit. Runs about $300 for the parts, plus the cost of a knob. They also have a ton of suspension parts, and pre-packed kits. You can find them on the web.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (daughter stole that one), and 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again)

• i just took a look at the manual for a 2k maxima... and here's what it says about changing the engine coolant.. (this is the same fluid that's in the radiator right?)

it says... After 60,000 miles, replace every 30,000 miles..

why would it be okay to have the orignal coolant til 60k .. and then change it after every 30? weirddddddddddddddddddddd
  • kennyg5kennyg5 Posts: 360
    For those of us who don't visit Edmund's Nissan Maxima 2004 Design Board, there is a good (IMO) explanation for the discrepancy in the quality of Japan vs. US made Japanese car. The person who wrote post #237 on that Board presented a well reasoned discussion of why Japanese cars made in Japan are, in the first instance, generally better than those made in the US or elsewhere.
  • gerapaugerapau Posts: 211
    While I do agree that Foreign cars, and cars made in Japan especially, are more reliable than domestics, our counterparts in Japan do make the occasional lemon. The 2000 Maxima SE 5 speed(made in Japan) that I currently have has had more problems then the 5 previous cars that I owned (which were all domestic) combined. In the 3 years that I have owned the Maxima in has been in the shop over 20 times for warrenty work. Fortunately, so far all work has been covered by the warrenty (but I have had to rent a vehical several times while the Max was in the shop) but my warrenty has just run out and I hope that I do not have any more problems.

Here are a few of the more servious problems, in order of when they occured, that I have had:

- Front brake rotors replaced at 10,000 miles.
        - Transmission problems at 15,000 miles (in shop overnight to replace some sort of boot).
        - Power drivers seat switch had to be replaced.
        - Heated drivers seat switch had to be replaced.
        - Rear bumper had to be removed and repainted due to misaligned trunk lid (in shop for 3 days).
        - All 6 coils had to be replaced (in shop 3 different times for a total of 4 nights).
        - Altinator had to be replaced (left me stranded for 5 days while on vacation last summer. Good thing that the warrenty was still good because the nearest Nissan dealership was over 200 miles away and the tow cost over CA$750).
        - Transmission had to be rebuilt after several bearings failed last summer (in shop for a total of 3 days).

Most of the other problems that I had were "fit and finish" type problems (rattles, misaligned panels, etc...)

It must be said though, that even after all the problems that I have had, I am still considering buying another Max this summer (not quite sure if I like the redesign though). After all is said and done, the Max is still one of the best values going when it come to midsized sedans (with a touch of sportiness). I feel that I got the perverbial "Friday Car" and that my odds of getting another one are lower than with most competitors. By the way, I work with 5 other people who have 2000 or 2001 Maximas and they have all be trouble free (except for some fit and finish problems).
  • nabinabi Posts: 15
    I went to dealer to chech it out. Max made whining noise when it revs up(1000-4000rpm). The tech said it's normal. To produce more power with the engine, it sucks up lots of air. The noise is coming from it. That was the story from the tech. How do you think, guys? Do you hear same noise? Thank you.
  • I too, have an '03 SE Automatic. It has 1,400 miles on it now, still a baby. I hear that sound before I put it in gear. I hope it's not anything to worry about. I haven't had it checked. I only hear it when revving up engine...however, it doesn't bother me, it sounds very clean, and the performance of my car is very, very smoooooooooth. But if you hear that this means something, please post it.
  • 92drexel92drexel Posts: 153
    stickguy: I saw that red 04 they had at the show too. It looks pretty good. Its definately more 'upscale' than my '00. The guy presenting the car said the cost will be between 28k and 34k. I think I read that on the internet somewhere.

gerapau: I've had a fair share of issues with my '00 too. Maybe you should invest in an extended warranty. I bought one from warranty-by-net last year which covers me for 7 years/100k miles. Unlike Nissan's warranty its truly bumper-to-bumper (even covers the stereo). I think it cost me around $925. I've already filed a claim (for the coils) and they covered it with no problems.

nabi: My tranny whines too. I've been reading a lot of complaints on maxima.org about this. I even test drove a new 03 and it did the same thing. I hope it holds up past 100k miles!
  • berbelberbel Posts: 167
    How do I get to that 2004 Maxima Design board that
    you mentioned in your last post? I'll look around
    again but I can't seem to locate it. It's probably
    staring me right in the face and I'm missing it!

Thanx/berbel
  • otoluvaotoluva Posts: 139
    the 17th title from top.
  • al57al57 Posts: 67
    Purchased new in July 2000,to date car has only 13,500 miles.I've read posts about bad rotors,coils,transmission slippage and the terrible paint job.Can anyone tell me since there are TSB's on these items if you can get the dealer to fix prior to having a problem.My thought is with such low mileage on this car are the problems going to start appearing after3year/36 month expires? Am I just lucky or are there other problem free 2000's out there? By the way I do have a minor paint chip issue!
  • kennyg5kennyg5 Posts: 360
    On the left side of the screen, under "Search Townhall by Vehicle", input "Nissan" for Make and "Maxima" for Model, and then click "GO". You should see all the Maxima Boards, including the 2004 Maxima Redesign Board. Happy Reading!
  • pbvdqpbvdq Posts: 14
    I hear the whining noise now. I posted before indicating that my engine just seemed to make a reving noise, but now I hear a whining noise accompanying the reving noise.

Although the description the Tech gave you does seem to coincide with the "noises."

So...hope this isn't a sign of troubles to come (only have 700 miles so far). Other than the above, the car is fun to drive and great all around.

Please post if you have any other troubles or if the noises change.
  • berbelberbel Posts: 167
    Thenks, guy.......I finally found it. Interesting
    conversation there!

berbel
  • bobfeldbobfeld Posts: 33
    does anyone know what the dealer holdback on the maxima is?? thanks
  • Unless the dealer is a fool he wont give you or discuss with you the hold back amount this is the money he gets for paying interest on the maxima while it sits on his lot.
    but for all fairness it is about 2% of invoice.
    You should be albe to buy a just about any 03 maxima for couple hundred over invoice plus take a 1000.00 rebate and get 0.9%for 24/36 mos or 2.9%for 48/60
  • dklaneckydklanecky Posts: 559
    I believe it's closer to 3% (than 2%) of Invoice (not MSRP) for Nissan Holdback. This of course is the dealers money to finance unsold cars sitting on their lots. Now if you "order" one and take delivery before it ever "sits" on the lot you may have a chance of getting some of that holdback money off the price.

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/incentives/holdback/
  • bcohenbcohen Posts: 58
    I just saw the new Maxima at the Detroit AutoShow yesterday. It does look better in person. That thing in the middle of the grill is pretty bad, though. Its pretty flimsy so you could probably replace it with some black eggcrate pretty easily. The interior on one of them was very different. It was a strange light tan leather interior and it had buckets in the back seat with a center console with window and butt warmer controls. Also, there were two small rectangular, side sliding sunroofs...one in the front, one in the back. Interesting, but odd...

Just thought I would fill you in on what I saw there.
  • bobfeldbobfeld Posts: 33
    here in st.louis the 03 maximas are "overflowing" on the dealer lots..just visited the largest dealer here and had 77 maximas in stock..offered(better word is begged)for me to buy one for $300 UNDER invoice Plus $1000 rebate Plus 0% financing for 36 months....also had 4 02 se"s willing to let go for 1400 Under invoice..guess people dont want the 03"s with new ones coming soon..
  • cjs2002cjs2002 Posts: 341
    as a first time car buyer the 03 altima was gonna be my new car yet I've heard alot of people say that the dealerships are haggling prices better on the 03 maximas.. My question to any of you who have a maxima se ... is if you don't mind what was the aprox. price you paid and what options did you have on the car... if any don't wish to say on the chat please contact me via email @ (shsdrummer02@aol.com). I'm plannen on buying a car with in the next 3 weeks.
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    I'd get shopping sooner rather than later - the supply of 2003 Maxima SE's, especially the 6-speeds, are dwindling.

A few weeks ago, I briefly considered getting a 2003 SE 6-speed Titanium Edition, loaded to replace my current 1995 SE. But my dealer (VOB in Rockville, MD) was unable to locate any that met my specifications, so I didn't pursue it. The price that I would have paid was invoice, less the $1,000 rebate (i.e. net price of $1,000 under invoice). If they had it in their stock, I might have gotten another $300-500 off. I have pretty much decided that a 530i will be my next sedan, so my heart wasn't into shopping hard.

Somewhere between $1,000 and $1,500 under invoice (including the rebate) is a good price on a 2003 SE. Good luck finding one that is equiped as you wish. The inventories are dwindling as they make room for the 2004's.

P.S. Just my opinion, but I think the 2003 Maxima is a much better choice than the Altima. Stretch if you have to. I considered both in 1995, and am exceptionally glad I went with the Maxima. It has served me well for 134k miles and still looks/runs like new. Altimas of the same vintage did not age nearly as well. The new Altimas are an improvement, but they still don't have the fit and finish of the Maxima, IMO. And the 2.5 4-cylinder is not in the same performance or durability league as the 3.5 6-cylinder engine. Not to mention, the 2003 Maxima is the last to be made in Japan, for what that is worth.
  • deyounkdeyounk Posts: 12
    What are some of the deals being offered in Canada? What price should I be looking at for an 03 GLE?
  • Need to have a look at 99 owners manual. Would anyone have an idea about where I could find one online to review.
  • monte4monte4 Posts: 101
    Down here in Texas the Supplies of 03's are dwindling fast and colors and options are as well. Funny how certain cars sell better in certain areas.
  • minaldominaldo Posts: 10
    I was offered a lease for $380 per month on a loaded 2003 GLE (everything but navigation), no money down. Just paying taxes up front. No security deposit, no bank fees, no lease end termination fees. Does this sound like a good deal?
  • achadhaachadha Posts: 106
    Minaldo...How many miles per year can you drive and how long is the lease for? 380 sounds pretty good especially with no money down..How much total are you paying out of your pocket?
  • achadhaachadha Posts: 106
    BobFeld...I live in northern va area. I recently purchased an 03 SE 6speed. You can still find Maximas here but colors are limited as are options, 6speeds are getting even more hard to find..I am sure there will be one more shipment of Maxima's before the 04' comes out in April...
  • minaldominaldo Posts: 10
    Lease is for 36 months. 12,000 miles per year. Which is fine for me. I just turned in a year 2000 maxima with 15,000 miles. I wish they had a 10,000 mile per year lease.