Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Maxima

Comments

• bcohenbcohen Member Posts: 58
    What's the fuel cutoff issue? Does it act like a rev-limiter?
  • aggiedogaggiedog Member Posts: 238
    No one should freak out about their CD player/changer (not saying that you are) as long as you don't try to put one in that you created with a homemade label. Just leave the homemade labels off. Otherwise they'll be just fine. I change mine often with no problems.
  • dmathew347dmathew347 Member Posts: 80
    Since i started the cd-jam thread, let me clear something. My concern isn't so much about using cd-'s with labels. None of my homemade CD-R's have labels, they're just burned CD-R's with labels written on them with a ball-point pen. However my cd-chager still got jammed when i loaded up the changer with a combination of store-cd's and burned CD-R's. Since the extra thickness of CD-R's have been ruled out, i believe its because i left the cd-'s in their original slots for too long (months) without ejecting or shuffling them. But thats just an educated guess.

I'm guessing that its wise to eject and shuffle your cd's around in your changer once a week or so, to avoid any problems associated with temperature extremes causing jammed cd's inside the changer slots. I don't think just because cd-'s don't jam inside changers of a home stereo system, you can necessarily extend that analogy out to car stereos, where temperature extremes are much more of a concern. Thats all!
  • jcw915jcw915 Member Posts: 31
    Does anyone know where I can buy the titanium edition floor mats? Tried looking at courtsey nissan parts but they don't have it there. There has got to be some place that sells it. My cousin spilled paint all over the freakin mats. ^@&($#%#(@^$.
    Thanks!
    Jerry
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    There was one at the carshow last night when I went. It was the ugliest color though! If anyone wants a pic, feel free to email me (see profile), and I will be glad to send it. :)
  • berbelberbel Member Posts: 167
    Attn: bcohen

As I recall, there was a lapse in gasoline being fed to the engine when shifting in the lower gears.
    If was as if the line was being pinched momentarily
    and for that split second you lacked fuel. It was
    especially noticeable when going down grades.
    Nissan initially denied that any problem existed
    according to the owners who were posting here at
    the time. Then, guess what happened............?
    Nissan made adjustments to the ECU and the problem,
    which they denied existed, suddenly was not a problem any more. I was aware of all this controversy just prior to purchasing my '00 SE
    and elected to buy the auto tranny version altho
    I really wanted the 5-speed. Hope this was helpful.

berbel
  • bcohenbcohen Member Posts: 58
    Thanks. Always good to know what to look out for. I've got an excellent mechanic that I'm going to take any car I'm interested in to, so hopefully I can avert any major disasters. Thanks for the info.
  • gary_berggary_berg Member Posts: 28
    What does the owner's manual say about premium gas? Required? What happens if I use regular? My 300M says to use mid-grade fuel but runs fine on "regular" - how does the Maxima compare?
  • fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    Can any of the owners of the Maxima with the 3.5 engine give me the kind of mpg they are getting, particularly with city/highway ratio of 25/75%?
  • hammer19hammer19 Member Posts: 31
    I've got a 2003 SE, and I just checked my consumption this week and it came to an average of 10.8 litres/100 km (est. 22 mpg(US)). That's with an automatic transmission and a daily commute of approximately 40 miles per day, round trip.The best I've averaged so far is around 25 or 26 US mpg. I've had my car for about 5 months now and 13000 km (8000 miles). I drive on a 4-lane undivided highway for about 80% of this daily commute. Hope this helps.
  • kennyg5kennyg5 Member Posts: 360
    I have my 03 GLE for 4 months and 1800 miles on the odometer. Unfortunately I do not get to drive the car that much; I use public transportation to go to work. Of the limited miles on the car, 85% is city traffic. So, my mpg sucks -- 17 city and 23 hwy, and I use premium gas, which costs about $1.95 per gallon nowadays. I believe the mpg will improve when the car is driven more, particularly on the highway and for long journeys. Honestly, I don't really care that much because my projected annual mileage will not exceed 6K and the incremental cost will not "break the bank."
  • beanctrbeanctr Member Posts: 99
    I commute 100 miles per day (all freeway) in my 2002 Max 6speed. It has 17K miles and I always use premium fuel and drive an average of 60 MPH. That being said I consistently get a hair over 26 MPG.
  • jrosasmcjrosasmc Member Posts: 1,711
    How much does it cost to either rebuild or replace a VQ engine or automatic transmission?
    I drove to the beach this afternoon in my 03 GLE. There was little to no traffic on the highway -- probably as a result of the Friday snow storm. The roundtrip was approx. 70 miles and I was astonished to find out that I hit 29.8 mpg with an average speed of 60 mph. Is there something wrong with the trip computer? Could I be riding with the tail wind both ways? Seems too good to be true!!
  • beanctrbeanctr Member Posts: 99
    Could be the trip computer. Mine always says I am getting 31.5 MPG when really I am getting 26.2 MPG. I calculate MPG every time I fill up (miles/# of gallons to fill tank).
  • johnnigjohnnig Member Posts: 1
    2003 SE Auto 2500 Miles. I just came back from a 800 mile trip and averaged only 22 MPG. I was going an average speed of 80, however my wife's 1995 Max gets between 25-27 MPG. Does anyone think this is normal? Will the mileage get better once it is broken in more?
  • nissangirlnissangirl Member Posts: 186
    I have the same vehicle, '03 SE Auto. I have just over 2k miles on mine also. Right now I'm averaging 23 mpg overall. I too am hoping for a better mpg over time. I have noticed that when I first bought mine back in Nov. '02 that I was only averaging about 19 mpg, but it is gradually improving.

FYI My husband has a new Pathfinder, and his mpg was awful for the first few months. But now that he has put over 6k on it, it is improving alot.

Guess we must be patient....hopefully.
  • 92drexel92drexel Member Posts: 153
    Thanks for everyone's advise, stories, and help over the years! I've just traded my max in for murano. I just couldn't resist the look and style of the murano. I was going to wait to test drive an '04 max, but the dealer made an offer I couldn't refuse.

Thanks again for your help!
  • nissangirlnissangirl Member Posts: 186
    Guess you will be moving over to the Murano board. Congratulations! Come back and see us from time to time.
  • obiwankenobi1obiwankenobi1 Member Posts: 290
    I filled up my car last Tuesday (02 Max SE auto) and I have 305 miles on this tank and about 65 left until empty, so the computer says. Therefore, I would say I would get to about 390 before the tank is dry. Also, I drive 20% city/80% freeway. So, all things being equal, I guess I would be getting 21 mpg. Interesting as the trip computer thinks I am getting 27 mpg. I wonder how that computer works?

Tell you what, though. I don't worry about the gas mileage in my Max, you wanna know why? We are talking about a 3.5 liter V6 with 255 hp!! Not the most economical combination you know!

Obi
  • jg28jg28 Member Posts: 257
    to tell you the accurate MPG. It's always off. I've been disappointed with the gas mileage I've been getting. I do mostly city driving and mostly short hop trips at that. Last week I got the worst yet... 19. Yet the trip computer said 23.5. I thought the gas mileage would be a lot better. I consistently got 23-25 in my Intrigue for city driving. (It had the same size 3.5L engine).
    I'll miss you and the others too! Goodluck with your '03, and yes...I'll pop in from time to time.
  • monte4monte4 Member Posts: 101
    Yes the trip computer doesnt seem to be very accurate in mY 03 max or my wifes 350, both are gass guzzlers! We knew this already, we get about 18mpg in the Max and the same in the Z with a Mix of 40% highway 60% street!
    You have an 03 Max AND a 350 in the driveway?!? We all hate you now, go away.. :) Just kidding.
  • fourboys2fourboys2 Member Posts: 2
    I just got an 03 SE and got a great deal. It was $19999, but when I got to the dealer, the color I wanted was a damaged car. After a lot of haggling, I got the one I wanted for $20999 with the 2.9% financing for five years.
  • kyleknickskyleknicks Member Posts: 433
    i was thinking the same thing! a new max and a Z... i just want one of the 2
  • rajivgrajivg Member Posts: 1
    I am considering buying a Maxima SE and wanted to know where you bought it and what options you opted for. Thanks
  • eblumeblum Member Posts: 52
    My 2000 SE Auto gets about 24 mpg. Not to bad...

johnnig, I think that that fuel consumption goes down the faster you are traveling, after a certain speed. If I remember correctly, you will get the best MPG in the 50-60 MPH range. I think doing 80 MPH causes too much wind resistance. Any thoughts?
  • kyleknickskyleknicks Member Posts: 433
    im getting 24 to 25 mpg on my 2K Max GLE Auto. and that's based on driving 95% highway at average of 70mph (trips from Mass to NYC). i'm sure driving pass 60 doesn't help the mileage... and i do calcuation by hand..not by any computer.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    I just returned from a business trip and got approximately 29 mpg on the 300 highway mile return leg at an average of 70-72 mph. I do not get better mileage at 55-60. For my car (1995 Maxima SE 5-speed), it seems that 65-70 produces the best mileage (using cruise control).

I am sure there are a lot of factors that determine the best highway mileage, including gear ratios, type of roads (hilly vs. flat), temperature, etc. But for whatever reason, I have never had a car (all manual transmissions) that got its best milage at 55 (the former federal speed limit imposed during the gas crisis). For me, it's always been around 65, with my Honda S2000 getting it's best mileage at 75 mph (31.5 mpg on the same exact 300 mile trip).
  • monte4monte4 Member Posts: 101
    Yes we have them both bought them both on the same day and got a great deal due to that fact. We both enjoy driving and is never board driving despite which car we decide to drive. Are fuel bill is high because we both tend to have lead feet! The 3.5 just burns alot more fuel than the 3.0.
  • fourboys2fourboys2 Member Posts: 2
    I bought my Max SE at Superior Nissan in the City of Industry in Los Angeles. It is the regular SE in Sheer Silver and Charcoal interior.
  • berbelberbel Member Posts: 167
    You've been a good poster and I have appreciated
    having you on here. I think you've been here almost
    as long as I have.

Anyhow, drop in occassionally and tell us about
    your new ride.

Good luck!

berbel
    Thanks!

No problem, I will drop by and check you guys out occassionally. I still can't believe that I'm not in a max (for the 1st time in 11 years), however I love the Murano.

Take care.

PS (to everyone with 2002/2003 maximas): I think Nissan will fix that fuel economy over-estimation with the 2004 max. I filled up my Murano for the second time and my number (20.4) mpg was close to the trip computer (20.6).
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    photos in a write-up on the new Max (Autoweek?), and I want to know who thought of the longitudinal sunroof???...how does it open, why do rear passengers need it when 90% of driving for many is just one or two folks in front???...but the Elite option with rear buckets is brilliant...
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    the longitudinal panels do not open. They are just there for the view. There is an option of a normal moonroof that does open, but I assume you lose the glass rails.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• lmp180psulmp180psu Member Posts: 399
    The "longitudinal sunroof" does not actually open, I just has a couple of covel panels you can slide open to let in extra light into the cabin, and it comes standard. You can still get an conventional opening moonroof as an option. It would have been nice if the "skyview roof" as Nissan calls it, would have been able to open. I agree that the elite package is a innovative option that gives the car a bit of uniqueness in the near luxury class.
  • rickinririckinri Member Posts: 13
    Well, after a few months of shopping around we (the wife really) picked up a 2003 SE (w/ titanium pkg.) It's lots of fun to drive and all but I have a question about the "premium" sound system...
    It sounds like crap...We hadn't noticed until we had passengers in the back that said "is the radio even on?"

sure enough, there is almost no sound in the back seat, and even in the front seat the only sound from the back is base. Now, i should probably read the owners manual, and I've already played around with fade/balance. Is there something else I'm missing?
    When we picked up the car, the dealer had forgot to insert the "storage" fuse (clock, radio presets, etc)
    Has anyone else had problems like this? or is this normal? should I just turn the radio up?

any comments will be appreciated
    Thanks,
    Rick
    The Bose system is far from "premium" because you can hardly adjust the tonal frequency range. The Bose in my older 97 GLE sounds much better.

The subwoofer at the rear panel is too strong, especially when you tune in a rock station, and the bass sounds "thumpy" rather than "solid". The two rear speakers are not as strong as the ones in the front, but they should be in working condition. You may have to fiddle more with the fader and balance buttons to get "optimal" sound.

I can't believe Edmund's editor gave the system a quality rating, but come to think about it, the editor said his 14 year old daughter thought the Bose is better than the stereo in her bedroom, which may not be much of a compliment at all. If you only use the Bose to play CDs, it sounds decent, but the radio is "crap".

I read in the car mags that the 04 Max has a 300 watt system, while the 03 only has 200 watts. Apparently, it must be a new system. Did Maxima steal it from the Q45?

I had thought about putting in an aftermarket system, but I was warned by Bose that it would void the warranty.
  • vicheviche Member Posts: 30
    I'm looking into buying a used Maxima.

Does anyone have access to Carfax or Autocheck who would be willing to run a vin# for me? I'd also be willing to sign up for an Autocheck or Carfax subscription and trade for the opposite with someone.

Let me know if you're interested or if you can help. I need to make a decision soon.

Thanks so much in advance
    Tony
    Just go to carfax.com and get the subscription. It's only $20, and you can run as many cars as you want in 3 months. It's totally worth it.
  • jcw915jcw915 Member Posts: 31
    Dear fellow 02-03 Maxima owners,

Has anyone ever been able to fill up 18.5 gallons of fuel in their maxima? The most I can ever get is 16.8, just wondering if anyone has put 18.5 in there before. Nissan says it's an 18.5 gallon tank...
  • vicheviche Member Posts: 30
    Yeah, I probably should, but I've been in the habit of casually checking about a car a month, so those fees could add up. I also wanted to check Autocheck as well since it tells me that there are 5 records for the car I was looking at whereas carfax says there are only 3. I'd be willing to sign up for one and trade service with someone who signs up for the other. If anyone is interested, let me know.

Also, anyone know why one service would have 2 more records than the other?

Thanks again,
    Tony
    I never tried putting 18.5 gallons into my tank, but I believe the tank can hold such amount. My understanding is that the tank always holds a bit of residual gas (about a gallon) even if the refuel light is on. This is to give advance warning to the driver so that he or she knows the car needs to be refueld very soon. Happy motoring, but don't try to drive until the car is absolutely out of gas to test how much the tank can really hold :-)
  • jg28jg28 Member Posts: 257
    I've been down to completely empty (and have driven around on empty) and have only got 16 point something in there. Perhaps this has something to do with why the trip computer is so off.
  • gpagpagpagpa Member Posts: 55
    I filled up the tank on my 95 Maxima and did not turn the cap tight. Then the check engine light came on. I was looking for previous posts on how to rememdy this, and need some help. I tightened the cap a couple days ago and the light is still on. How long will this take to work? Also considering disconecting the battery, is there the right way to do it?
  • dklaneckydklanecky Member Posts: 559
    The system checks for the same error condition each time the cars starts. After a certain number of times not finding the fault, it will reset itself.
    It holds the advertised 18.5 gallons.

I drive a lot of highway miles (>120k already) so I purposely drove it to see just how far I could go at highway speeds after the low fuel light came on.

I had a spare gallon in the back seat just for the test.

I went 65 miles at about 70 miles per hour after the low fuel light first came on. I wasn't out of gas yet when I filled it but I just chickened out. It took 18.539 (no it wasn't empty yet) and another time I got 18.384.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    My experience with my 1995 Maxima was that the check engine light did not go off by itself. After 3 months, I had the dealer reset it. Of course, they wanted to do a diagnostic check just to make sure there was nothing else wrong, so it cost me $65.

I've now had the same experience with the airbag light. On two occassions it stayed on. In the first, they simply reset it after finding no problems. On the second occassion, I left it on for at least 6 monhts. When the car was in for service the dealer claimed I needed a new airbag control unit at nearly $1,000. I told them no thanks, and when I picked up the car the light was out and hasn't come back on in the 6 months since.

I am convinced that these diagnostic lights are very sensitive and tend to give a lot of false readings, but I do not believe they reset themselves. If dklanecky has other information, please enlighten me.
    Description of On-Board Diagnostics

SELF-DIAGNOSIS

System Description
    The diagnosis sensor unit has the capability to display through the CONSULT-II three malfunction modes:

A. SELF-DIAG [CURRENT]: These are real time malfunctions, items that are malfunctioning at present time and require repair.
    B. SELF-DIAG [PAST]: These are malfunctions that have been detected and stored in the self-diagnostic memory. They may be intermittent malfunctions that are not malfunctioning at present time. Malfunctions that have been repaired will remain stored in PAST memory until erase procedure has been performed.
    C. TROUBLE DIAG RECORD: All malfunctions that have been detected by the diagnosis sensor unit are stored and can be displayed. Erase procedure does not erase malfunctions stored in TROUBLE DIAG RECORD.

My error!