Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Maxima

Comments

• eblumeblum Member Posts: 52
    Can anyone (joenissan) tell me what the TSB for the stalling during cold weather says? It happened to me today. I let my car warm up for 1 minute, put it into reverse and it stalled......

I remember seeing a TSB for low or no idle when the car is cold....
  • basst95basst95 Member Posts: 4
    Over the past several months I have periodically read the posts in this forum. I must say generally the information here has been informative if not entertaining. Although, there seems to be a lot of juvenile type posts being tossed around lately ... seriously detracts from the validity of a forum of this type. Anyway, I have a 2000 Max SE 5spd and I am really enjoying the car. Recently, I have been looking to add some accessories to it. I just installed a K&N air filter charger. The jury is still out on if the Max will give the results promised by the manufacturer (increased horsepower@5hp or so , better gas mileage, and the like). I am looking for a hood deflector not a mask/boot. Unfortunately, the paint on my pearl blue Max seems to chip fairly easy, similar to other posts I saw a while back on the Maxima's paint chipping easily. I would like to get one that I don't have to go through a lot of hassle to obtain. I am not a true car fanatic but I might turn into one now that I have this car (bought it in August). I checked the official Nissan site and they only listed the leather/vinyl mask and I think it was several hundred dollars. Also, I would like to know if there is a good aftermarket in-dash CD changer available for the Max. I goofed and didn't add it to the option list when I bought it. Also, since I don't want to break the bank with this upgrade, I hope you offer a reasonably priced suggestion(s). Ok now that I finished this novel any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  • george2kmaxgeorge2kmax Member Posts: 94
    Tim,

I don't believe anyone makes or sells in dash CD-changers for the Maxima because there isn't enough room in the dash to fit it. Almost surely the next redesign of the Maxima will correct this. For now you might consider a trunk mounted unit.

Good luck with your K&N filter. I considered installing a K&N filter in my Maxima but after reading many negative options regarding small holes developing after cleaning the filter I decided to stay with the paper for now. I too wanted to increase my HP, but I don't think you will see 5 additional HP with the K&N filter. Maybe 1-2 HP above 5200 rpm. Take a look at this link from Maxima.org Forum, the person Dynoed his Maxima stock before any modifications, then Dynoed it again after installing a Cattman Y-pipe and Stillen Intake. The Dyno results showed an increase of 12 HP only above 5200 rpm. Taking that into consideration I think it might be reaching a bit to achive an increase of 5 HP with only a filter change verses a Cattman Y-pipe and Stillen intake netting 12 HP.
    http://www.maxima.org/forums/showthread.phtml?threadid=10524

Did you notice any additional low end power. Sometimes we think there is an increase but really there might not be. A dyno curve is the only true way to know for sure. Be very careful when you do get around to cleaning that filter, the small holes that develop in the cotton fibers are usually due to the cleaning.

BTW Did you notice any additional engine noise after you installed the filter.

George
  • phkckphkck Member Posts: 185
    I to have had the stall when place in reverse in cold weather. (It was probably 10 below (I) and 30 mile per hour winds. Just had to let the ax warm for 5 in and then no further problems. If there is a TB on this would love to hear about it. Thanks Paul
  • shermaxshermax Member Posts: 31
    FYI, if you start your car and move it say 20 feet (from outside a garage to inside) then let it sit overnight, you may suffer a stall problem. Also, let the engine run for 30-40 seconds before putting into gear.

Blackstone, I do recall hearing about a brake problem for which there is a TSB. Joe Nissan knows the answer to these issues, but he has been driven away by the antics of several of the above posters. I, too will visit far less frequently now.

bye, Happy Holidays.
  • ccyoungccyoung Member Posts: 6
    My 2000GLE also stalls after sitting several hours in the cold. I have noticed if I let it warm up for 60-90 seconds the rpm will drop to about 1000-1200 from about 1500. At that point I can put the car in gear and it won't stall. If I don't wait for the rpm drop, it will stall every time. The only time it has been a problem is when I have been in a hurry and didn't have 1-2 minutes to sit and let the car warm up. I plan on having it looked at and would also be interested to know of any TSB that may be applicable.

Thanks
  • robertrrobertr Member Posts: 125
    If the 5-speed Maxima stalls, say if you fumble the clutch, and you immediately re-start it, the engine somtimes runs very erratically, as if the engine control computer gets confused.

I think this came up before, and that joenissan or someone said what to do or not to do to prevent it, but the so-called "search" feature in this new software is worthless for locating a particular post.

Does anyone remember what was said or know anything about this?
  • oehrleinoehrlein Member Posts: 30
    I had an experience the other day and want to let you Max owners know about it. I live in northern IL and we've been having a lot of snow lately. I was driving home on the interstate the other day when I felt the front shimming and shaking around 50 mph. It NEVER did it before. I took the Max out the following day and the same thing happened. I pulled over in a neighboring town to inspect my front wheels and found snow frozen on the inside of the right front wheel (16" alum alloy). I cleaned the snow off the inside of the wheel and went for another spin. Well the the shaking was gone. I guess the snow made the wheel out of balance and caused the shimming & shaking. Weird uh!

Merry Christmas
    Semper Fi
  • greforgrefor Member Posts: 34
    Yes, I noticed the same problem on other cars I've owned. Snow in the wheel wells and on the wheels definitely screws up the ride. I always kick that crap off the car before driving after snowfall. Merry Christmas and semper fi, fellow gyrene.
    Gregg
  • napalinapali Member Posts: 1
    Hi!
    I purchased my SE01 in October, it already has 5000 miles on it. I enjoy it to the maximum! Except one episode which I want to share here. I would love to hear some opinions about what happened to me a few weeks ago:

I was driving on Interstate for about 3 hours on cruise, when suddenly the cruise disconnected and the SET light started blinking. From that point on the cruise stopped responding at all. What was even scarier was that the speedometer was going wild, without the actual speed of the car to vary. This would happen only when I was 60 mph or higher. The speedometer indicator would kind of die for a sec, then try to recover. And all this time the SET light was blinking. I remember that even during those 3 hours the cruise got disconnected, but at that time I thought that I hit the brake by mistake. Now I am sure it was the same weird behavior, but less scary. Again, all the time I was feeling like controlling the speed of the car, so no problem with the engine. When I stopped and restarted the car, everything was fine again, until I reached the same speed (60), and then same thing happened. This time the speedometer started acting up before the cruise, which led me to the conclusion that the problem was with the speedometer and the cruise was just trying to compensate the "loss" of speed shown by speedometer, and eventually got disconnected.
    So I brought the car to the dealer, left it for one day, but, guess what. They said that they could not duplicate the problem, so they don't know what happened. They even told me that the computer doesn't store such events, so no hope of diagnosing the problem until it does while they drive it. Frustrating, to say the least! Especially because they tested it for only 3 miles, that's it,
    The next day while I was driving, it did exactly the same thing, on the interstate. I called them while driving and asked if I could bring it to them now. They said they are booked and that I would need to leave it again for some days, which was impossible for me at that time. (This all happened while I was on a longer trip away from home).
    Fortunately after one more day the car stopped doing this at all, and eversince the cruise works fine as well as the speedometer. Here is my question:

Could there be a connection between this and the fact (which I only realized after this all happened) that just before that particular trip I filled up the tank with Shell gasoline 91 which contained 10% ethanol? I remember this vividly, after reading in the Maxima owner manual that such additives are NOT recommended. And I also remember that the problem stop appearing after I made another fill-up with 'normal' gasoline (Costco 93 octane), without additives.
    This would be my only explanation. Otherwise, it will remain a mistery for me. Thanks for listening. Please let me know what you think!

Merry Christmas to everybody!
    N
  • basst95basst95 Member Posts: 4
    Thank you for the information and suggestions. I have only had the K&N filter in for a couple of days. Like you said it may be in my mind that I am gaining any hp from the addition, however small. The filter does seem to make the engine sound a bit more 'throaty' as I accelerate. I don't know if that is a good or bad thing. Anyway, again another illusion from my mind maybe.

Tim
  • L8_ApexL8_Apex Member Posts: 187
    Some off-topic posts have been removed. Please keep the posts about the car, not other guests.

Thank you,

L8_Apex
    Sedans Host
  • dklaneckydklanecky Member Posts: 559
    I've driven over 220,000 miles in a combination of a 1995 Maxima GLE and a 2000 Maxima SE using the same gasoline blend you reference and I've never experienced anything like you describe. I think you're correct in your speedometer diagnosis.

Can you find a dealer who's more customer orientated in your area?

Mine will always make time for a 10-15 minute drive if I have something that's not correct. How about your original sales person if the dealer's service writer or technician can't take time?
  • norbert444norbert444 Member Posts: 195
    The gasoline with ethanol has two peculiarities:
    One - It has lower power. No harm there.
    And two - it attacks certain seals that are not made to withstand its higher solvent capabilities. Older cars (prior to about 1975) were not prepared for it and might suffer premature engine problems (I forgot the exact nature of those problems but they were related to seal softening or dissolving).

So, the gasohol (mixture of gasoline and alcohol, which is mostly ethanol or grain alcohol) is not harmful to newer cars. Therefore, you should look at the electronics in your Max. Or, perhaps, the speedometer cable. Joe might be able to help, when he comes back. Or someone with the shop manual might be able to look it up for you.
  • jb46jb46 Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased a new nissan maxima GXE 2001. Evey nook and bump in the road is felt in the front drivers' seat. The ride is extremely
    uncomfortable and not "fun to drive". My 10-minute test drives of the
    vehicle were obviously not long enough. I'm wondering if anyone else
    feels front seat discomfort?
  • max2001max2001 Member Posts: 63
    I own a 2001 SE, with seventeen inch wheels which is supposed to have a more sporty (translation: rougher) ride but I don't have the same symptoms you have. Have you checked the tire pressure (if it's cold around where you are there may have been some leakage). I have heard incorrectly inflated tires can cause a harsher ride. Also, what kind of wheels are on your max (15 or 16 inch)?

Maybe Joenissan could comment (if he's still around).

RM
  • jb46jb46 Member Posts: 2
    I have 16-inch tires(and the pressure has already been checked)
    Thanks for your response.
  • carfever1carfever1 Member Posts: 2
    I am currently test driving an SE 20th Anniversary model and am troubled by excessive wind noise coming from the rear windows. It is more pronounced from the right rear window and begins to be noticeable at about 48mph. I will test drive another car in hopes that this is not a common problem with this body style. Has anyone experienced this problem?
    I own a 2001SE - while I have not noticed it (stereo is always on) I have read several posts by people on other forums that have complained about about the same thing. It seems it's a "feature" of the car.
  • berbelberbel Member Posts: 167
    This new format is horrible. I can't return to a
    previously bookmarked location and I find that I
    have to scroll to the end of the entries and read
    backwards. I for one don't understand why if it's
    not broken.......someone has to come along and fix
    it. Did anyone happen to notice that the number of
    entries seems to have DECREASED since they insisted
    on "IMPROVING" the format? I think people are getting so frustrated that they just aren't coming
    back here!
  • hzmnntzhzmnntz Member Posts: 2
    I own an 89 Camry and a 93 Accord - I've been thinking of replacing the Camry for about a year now, but it's a 5SP-V6 and fun to drive.

I was impressed with the reviews on the 2K Max (particularly performance related) v. its counterparts and thought that it was a better value.

I wonder if any of you Max owners have 'been there, done that' and could tell me why you prefer it over the Camry or Accord? Any comments on value, features, comfort, as well as, performance are welcomed.

Thanks in advance.
  • dukehouston2dukehouston2 Member Posts: 36
    Lets hope the new "fix" clears up all the problems. BTW we went from a micro-scopic font to extra-large. Currently own an 01 SE MAX w/17" wheels and tires, and yes it does ride stiff , but the dealer had the tires over inflated.. 32lb's all around for me COLD, look under the console lid, it helped a lot. Interestingly rented an 00 GXE Max in Fla., with C/C package and 16" tires/wheels and it rode great. 20,000 miles on it and it was very tight, thats about 65,000 the way most of us drive , lol. Sure missed the Bose though!! Lets see if this posts???

Duke
  • carfever1carfever1 Member Posts: 2
    I test drove an '01 SE and noticed that the wind noise was not as noticeable as in the Anniv. Edition model. The dealer suggested that they could fix the problem but I prefer to wait for another car. It doesn't make sense to me to buy a brand new car and then immediately have it in the shop wondering if the problem will ever "really" be fixed!
  • someyaksomeyak Member Posts: 19
    I just picked up my Y2K 5sp SE today at Carmax, White Marsh (Baltimore). $23.2 + Tax and tags. C&C Meridian, Cloth seats, Icelandic Pearl/Frost.

I have been driving an Accord for 15 years (the same one!) and expected to buy another. But you can't get an Accord with a V6 and a 5sp. The I4 just was not fast enough. I also found there was way too much road noise, and the shifter was not as nice as the one in my '86. On the positive side I thought the driving position and the ride was the best out of the 3 cars, felt like I was driving a small sports car, but with room for the kids. Oh yeah, no automatic up on the drivers side window.. Important if you have a 5 speed and drive on toll roads

The Camry I found was just too boring. It was the quietest of the 3 and the smoothest ride, but there was no rush when you stepped on the gas. Also it has been very hard to find a 5sp LE (the only way to get a V6 and a 5sp) these last 6 months.

The max SE IMHO was the most fun to drive. It feels like a really big sports car. It's hard to keep under 70 mph. The engine is dead quiet (which I find a plus) The max has heated seats (I believe 2K Accord and Camry do not). The passenger volume in the Max (101 cu ft) is a bit larger than Accord which is a bit larger than the Camry. The trunk in the Max is also a bit larger (15 cu ft in max, 14 in Accord and Camry)

There is much less body roll in the Max than in the others, However in the Max SE you will feel more road bumps than you will in the others.

Other minor complaint...the max is not meant for short drivers. With the seat pulled up enough so that I can reach the pedals, I find that i) my knee hits the steering wheel, 2 the center arm rest is useless and 3) my left elbow sits right in the "cut out" in the door haldle (quite different from say the BMW 328 where both elbows sit nicely on flat padded surfaces!)

The shifter is a dissapointment. I'm considering an after market replacement.

To be honest I ruled out the Accird and Camry rather quickly. The other two cars in serious contnetion were the passat GLX and a 3 year old BMW 3 series.

The Beamer in the end was smaller than I wanted (86 cf for passengers and 10 cf of trunk space). and wouls have had the best 40K miles used by someone else.

The Passat was pricier than the max..(Especially with the deal I got!!). It has a much better shifter than the Max and it has traction control available with a 5 sp, which is not available on the max. I also feel fewer road bumps than in the max. The Passat has less passenger volume (95 cf) and requires leather if you want a power driver's seat. It also has more body roll than the max. I also find the Max dash board and radio easier to read at night than the Passat.

So if you think you are undecided now...go drive a Passat and you'll really be confused.

One other thing. Take a tire guage with you when you drive these cars. The first time I drove a max there were 39 PSI in the tires and it felt like I was riding over cobble stones. I got out, deflated the tires (annoying the sale person somewhat) and found a much nicer ride. I had a similar experience with the VW although the difference was not a pronounced.
  • lsflsf Member Posts: 98
    I think the number of postings is down due to: 1) postings weren't accepted and 2) this Max forum had some new participants who drove many of the old guys out. These newer guys seem to have disappeared for the time being. Bookmarking is also an issue. It now takes some extra clicks to get here.

Passat GLX should be compared to the Max GLE, IMO, not the SE. Both cars are full of standard features like leather, climate control, auto tranny and top of the line stereo. I drove both and chose the Max. Reliability was a major factor. My brother (who owns a BMW) was trying to get me to go with the Passat, but I kept running into people who owned or had owned a Max (or two) and were quite satisfied. Now I am quite satisfied!
  • someyaksomeyak Member Posts: 19
    One correction for Isf, The GLX comes standard with a 5 speed. In fact the only option on the GLX Is an Automatic (Yes you can get 4 wheel drive, but that car has a new designation). As so,eone who wanted V6 and 5 speed (and prices lower than BMW) VW is a welcome change from the Japanese who seem to be moving away from 5 speeds and towards this "semi automatic AT." As an owner of both a 2K SE 5sp and a 2K Passat GSL 4 cylider 5sp (wife's wagon) I'm hoping the early reports of VW reliability improvements are accurate. 15k miles on the Passat and except for being rear ended in a rain storm, no unscheduled shop work (know wood)
    no injuries in the accident. Other than tearing of the rubber cover on the bumper which needed like $800 to replace, no real damage to the Passat. The unfortunate Honda that hit us found out what crumple zones on the hood of does is a low speed collision.
    Last night on the way home I drove with the stereo off to see what I could hear. There is a wind noise but it's subtle. As for waiting - I agree. Test two or three AE's and see if they all do the same thing.

Oh if your interested below is a link to a thread which discusses this issue at Maxima.org.

www.maxima.org/forums/showthread.phtml?threadid=15116

Good luck
    Both my old edmunds bookmarks also went sour like everybody else's. So I deleted them.

However, I do not seem to have a problem like you describe - bookmaking this new page. In IE5.5, I used -Favorites -Add to Favorites while visiting this page. The bookmark has been working OK for some 10 days now.

Maybe you are using the Edmunds Message Center and having problems with that?
  • pathtomaxpathtomax Member Posts: 215
    I tried posting a few weeks ago and it seems as though it was 'lost' in the upgrade. Let's try this again.

I am the current owner of a 2000 Maxima GXE. I currently have 25,000 mostly highway miles due to my Boston commute being 130 miles daily. Three of the last four cars that I have owned have been Nissan's so I have been pretty brand loyal. My last car was a 1998 Pathfinder SE.

The best part of the Maxima..the engine. That is one of the main reasons why I purchased it...my past Pathfinder and my Subaru before that we horribly underpowered so the Maxima is a true relief. That is where it ends.

Here are the problems that I would like to have people comment about it their opinions and experiences:

- The paint- After about 15,000 miles I started to get pits in the front of my car from the road. I thought it was the highway driving, but even when I place a light object on the hood...the paint scratches. I could expect this from a car costing a lot less..not a Maxima.

- Engine knocking- With the exception of one time, I ALWAYS put in Super Unleaded and the engine occasionally knocks when picking up speed on the highway. The dealerships 'can not seem to make it happen for them'.

- The radio- every once in a while it decides not to work. Period. I don't have the Bose stereo..which if fine b/c I had replaced the one in my Pathfinder three times.

Overall...I really do like the car- the engine, the interior room...I am just wondering if I have a lemon and if it will last the long haul. I purchased it preparing to put at least 150,000 miles on the car in about 5 years.
    Knocking, usually happens from firing too soon and from bador low octane gas. Try exxon, mobil or sunoco 93...see what happens.

Someone else has complained about pitting or poor paint. I haven't had a problem w/it. Is the paint scratching or is it the polished finish? When the weather warms (I know it'll be a while here in Boston), I recommend trying Zaino products (don't use claybar unless you know what you're doing.) Make sure you keep a good protective finish (polish) to protect your car's paint.

Where are you getting you car serviced?

Good luck.
    pathtomax - here is my 2c:
    Paint is a problem on my black GLE also. I got a ~$2.95 touch-up paint stick from the Nissan dealer and keep touching up what I can. It is a tedious job if done by an amateur like me but it can be done. It is annoying, though, having such problem on an expensive car.

My Max does not knock at 8K miles but my other car does so I have done some research on it. Light knock when the engine gets stressed such as during acceleration is supposed to be OK. When the knocking gets persistent or heavy, there is a plethora of things that you need to check. Start with elimination of dirty (or low octane, as lsf pointed out) gas. Then check your oil level, per my local mechanic. Etc.

On your radio, it sure seems to be a loose connection. You need to trace your radio wiring to see if you can find it.
  • whackowhacko Member Posts: 96
    If your paint starts getting worse, you can always go to Earl Scheib and pay $399 for a new paint job for your Max. Also, you can always drive your car with a car cover on (just make sure you make cut outs for the windows so you can see). I hear that driving with a car cover on is a great way to protect your paint.
  • greforgrefor Member Posts: 34
    Ignore that man behind the curtain. Actually, i think he's pretty funny, but some people take him seriously and get into some long winded rebuttals. It's obvious from his posts that he is trying to get people upset so he can laugh at the great lengths they will go to defend their Max.
  • anatolychanatolych Member Posts: 5
    I test drove the SE a few days ago. Looks great, but had a couple of concerns:
    the biggest is breaks. After hondas and my old mazda, feels like I have no control. Is it me and I simply need to get used to it, or somebody else had the same feeling?
    Next, in 5speed, the shifter was realy bad and the clutch was too long. I've seen somebody mentioned aftermarket shifters, do they really help? did anybody try them?
    What's a good price for SE in NYC area? Any good dealer sugestions?
    Thanks for advice.
    Re: the 5spd. Yes the clutch is little long and it takes getting used to. As for the shifter, it usually very notchy until the car gets warmed up, especially when it real cold outside. Once warm, it's usally a lot smoother. As for aftermarket shifters, they may help a little, but don't expect a huge change. The brakes work well just need to get used to them.

hope this helps,

Good luck
  • iluvmaxiluvmax Member Posts: 33
    Beware of the gas you use, just because it says its 93 does not mean it is. I have had my max for a year and a half and have always bought gas from Amoco and the same station when possible. Twice I had to use a Texaco station near my work and twice my car pinged like crazy on acceleration. Yes there are bogus gas stations out there so if you have experienced knocking or pinging with 93 octane change gas brands!
    Secretly, I love the Maxima. I just can't afford one. I love everything about it except the ugly rear-end.
  • speedracer3speedracer3 Member Posts: 650
    May you enjoy your cars even more in 2001!..I know I will...

Go Dolphins!

Speed
  • rslocumrslocum Member Posts: 1
    To answer a previous post first, I have not herd any uncommon noises at startup on the Maximas I have tested or the one I bought.

2 weeks ago I bought a 97 GXE w/ 37K miles. Appears to be very well cared for. I put 87 in and have experinced several stalls when the car is started after sitting for 10 hours or more. It canks and fires for a few seconds, revs to 1500-2000K rpm, then stalls, I tried dry gas and Prestone cleaner yesterday w/ no change. I filled the tank with 93 Octane today after running it nearly empty.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Rob
    Happy New Year to my one and only true Edmunds friend, norbert444.
  • umpopaumpopa Member Posts: 37
    Hey, Whacko...
    I haven't addressed you before, but find your posts entertaining.

Happy New Year to you and yours!
    ....and to everyone else, too!

-umpopa
    ... to all friends and owners of Maximas, even those who do not like their rear ends...
  • pnielsenpnielsen Member Posts: 2
    I haven't been following this chat since I bought my 2k GEL in March 2000. Has there been any discussion about any performance chip available for the Maxima? I'm not knowledgeable, just heard that such things were available. Do they work? Is it worth the effort/expense? Car runs great, no problem. BMW, I am wary of increasing performance by going to a less restrictive air filter, and have read a lot of posts on that subject, on various sites.

My 2k GEL now has 20k hi and no complaints. Other than oil changes, all I've done is rotate/balance tires at about 18k. Smoothed the ride, but I do notice slight vibration in front brakes, and have read recent posts re this problem. Not severe in my car, and doesn't always do it. Assume re surfacing front rotors at about 30k will take care of this.

Look forward to hearing some feedback. Thanks
  • brian119brian119 Member Posts: 5
    Hola amigos. It has been a LONG time since I last posted, but I've tried to catch up, so hopefully this post isn't redundant...

I have a 2K Max SE 5sp, now 24K miles on it. I am currently fostering a love/hate relationship with this car. Here's why:

Love: nearly everything about the car.

Hate: A while back (~17K miles) I had to accelerate hard onto a busy road. In second gear the engine made a rather loud knocking/pinging sound that I had never heard before. This was disturbing, to say the least. Over the next 3K miles the same noise would happen occasionally on hard acceleration. I brought the car into the dealership twice during this period, but as you might imagine they could not duplicate the problem. Nor could I. It would never happen when I wanted it to (i.e. when the mechanic was in the back seat), and always when I didn't want it to. Very frustrating. Between 20K-23K miles the problem got steadily worse. I would hear the engine knock/ping even on moderate/light acceleration. The car felt sluggish, and occasionally the acceleration would be choppy. The car, in my opinion, was running like crap. Not the silky-smooth "best V6 ever made" that I had loved for the first 17K miles. Anyway, at 23K the Check Engine Soon light came on, so I brought the car into the dealership the next day (visit #3). A few hours later they told me that there was a programming error in the car's computer (I think someone mentioned this before). They reprogrammed the computer, told me the car was fixed, away I drove. Indeed, the car ran great...for about a week. This morning I brought the car in again (visit #4) because it is up to its same games again. Lack of power, engine knock, choppy acceleration, etc. If anyone has any input on this problem I would GREATLY apperciate it. I have never put anything but 93/94 octane fuel in the car (I understand that 222 hp = high compression engine, 11:1, I think). I'm beginning to lose faith in the car and its mechanics...
    So the fix lasted 1000 miles or less? Sounds like the same thing you had b4. What are your rpms? What gear are you in? Could it be that you're running on 5 cyliders, which should be easy to figure out (for your mechanic)?

Joe or George should be most helpful on this one.

Good luck.
    I wonder if you tried out what I posted in #680 and if it reduced your number of clicks. My bookmark, now in Favorites on my IE5.5, always brings me to the latest messages in this forum.

BTW, happy to see you back in the New Year. I hope Joe makes it back soon. It appears that I became the favorite target of both the funny and the other on-subject messages in this forum. That should deflect some of their unjust criticism formerly addressed toward Joe's person.

Joe, this forum needs you, indeed. Your help has always been appreciated by us Maxima owners...
    Well, I have bookmarked the Sedan page. When I went there two minutes ago, I found that not everything had been updated so I had to go back and hit the refresh button. I've cut the number of clicks down, but I think I'd rather start out there anyway.
  • borsystborsyst Member Posts: 30
    The vibration you feel in the front brakes will likely be fixed with resurfacing, but why wait until you get to 30,000 miles and you pay for it. There is a Nissan technical service bulletin on the brakes TSB00016, where Nissan will resurface the brakes under warranty, that means for free. If you wait until 30k, your argument may be lost to normal wear and tear. Just tell them you have been experiencing what feels like warped rotors, as well as a creeking sound (even if you're not) and then refer them to the TSB. You will get what is essentially a free brake job.
  • borsystborsyst Member Posts: 30
    Brian

I had the computer reprogrammed when the Service Engine Soon light came on, but I didn't have the acceleration problems you are experiencing, nor have I had any problems since. I still haven't gotten a good explanation from the dealer why it had to be reprogrammed in the first place.
  • brian119brian119 Member Posts: 5
    The problem (knocking, choppy acceleration) occurs through a range of rpm's. I usually take my foot off the gas a little because it really doesn't sound too good, so I don't know if the knocking would persist over, say, 4K rpm's. Generally happens in 2-5th gear. Haven't heard it in 1st. It feels just like I'm running on 5 cylinders, or like one of the cylinders is firing off-time. In fact, that's just what I told the mechanic this morning. I think it is exactly the same problem that I had before. Either the computer program was not the problem, or the update still does not work properly. Going to call them right now to see if they have any news.