Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Maxima

Comments

• I put these on my 2000 Maxima SE at about 80k.

They are a significant step up in performance from the factory Potenza's, particularly in wet conditions. They do make more noise at highway speeds so take that into consideration.

I paid around $180 each from Tirerack.com (2 years ago) and they are listed there now in 225/50/17 for $191.

As to whether it's smart to spend that amount of money on your tires, well it's your money and if you want the Michelins, then go for it. They were the first Michelin's I've ever bought and there is a difference.

I would also suggest that you monitor your tire air pressure a little more frequently, especially if your going to spend that much on tires. The fact that your current tires are showing consistent wear patterns on the outsides suggests your running them under significantly inflated.

You'll reduce your gas mileage, your tire life, and your handling with this practice. The only thing you gain is a little softer ride.
  • I would like to ask car man and others if paying $500 over invoice for se & sl in bergen county new jersey is a good deal & if any incentives are out there for this car. I would of like to of posted this on proper board but I could not find my way there. Please help as I am ready to go ahead with deal soon. Thanks for help in advance.
  • I was wondering what options were available on the 1997-1999 Nissan Maxima SE.

I am interested in the Maxima.

Anyone remember any of the pkgs available on the 1997-1999 Maxima?

Thanks in advance
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Max - while you are waiting for some input, you can click on the blue Used Cars tab at the top of the page, then click on TMV, then follow the links to Edmunds details of those MYs.
  • p100p100 Posts: 1,116
    If I remember correctly the following options were available in 98:

1. Convenience package (8-way power driver's seat, Homelink garage door opener, remote keyless entry, security system)

2. Automatic transmission (5 speed manual was standard equipment)

3. Power tilt/slide sunroof

4. Bose stereo system (includes casette/CD player). Standard stereo was AM/FM/casette

5. Leather seat package: (leather seats, power passenger front seat, climate control A/C system)

6. Several individual options, such as floormats, sunroof deflector, splashguards, trunk cargo net.
  • bowke28bowke28 Posts: 2,185
    why do so many people ASSUME there are incentives on vehicles? especially on new products? can the vehicle itself not be incentive enough? i cant wait to see what the incentive mentality of the public does when they go away.

"you mean i have to get the car I LIKE?!?!?!?!"
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    I suspect that consumers are reacting to Nissan's past pricing policies / strategy. Name one new model by Nissan or Infiniti that hasn't had incentives or significant discounting within 6 months or less of introduction.

I, on the other hand, was pleased to get a Honda S2000 for $880 under MSRP a full 2 years after the vehicle was introduced. And I almost fell off my chair when a neighbor brought home a new 2003 BMW 530i at $3,000 under invoice thanks to the first ever incentive offered by BMW on the car to make room for the new model. Had I been ready, I might be driving one myself.

I got a reasonable discount on my 1995 Maxima SE 90 days after the new model was introduced in mid-1994. But 2-3 months later, the price had dropped to $xxx over invoice. I don't think I would ever pay anywhere near MSRP or even much above invoice for another Nissan, given that they do not control the volume the way Honda has on the S2000 or BMW does on many of their models. They will saturate the market with as many vehicles they can sell at invoice or less. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that if you have a long history of doing this, consumers will come to expect it.
  • berbelberbel Posts: 167
    I bought a set of these and they do provide great
    wet and dry traction.....considerably better than
    the oem Bridgestones. However, they are also sig-
    nificantly noisier than the Bridgestones, especially at interstate speeds. The noise factor
    alone convinces me that I would NOT repurchase this
    particular tire. Just my two cents.

berbel
  • ccermakccermak Posts: 260
    Just got my new Automobile mag last night. I read the comparison of $30,000 sedans and they ranked the Maxima LAST behind the Pontiac Grand Prix GTP. They Actura TSX was first, then BMW 3, then G35, then Maz 6??, can't remember after that. They had WRX, EVO, and many others that are of course much smaller and different purpose, but they said the only good thing about the Max was the engine. On another note, they had the G35 0-60 time at 5.6 secs, tieing the EVO. It was the fastest car to 100mph.
    my point was that customers ask me if the quest or maxima has 0%, and HOW MUCH the rebate is...forget about asking IF there is one. when i tell them there is no rebate, and their rate will be determined by their CREDIT SCORE, they get this incredulous look on theur face, like im trying to rip them off. when the big incentive game cools back off, im just looking forward to people shrugging and accepting that they are not being paid to buy a car anymore.

nissan's goal, actually, is to emulate honda's inventory practices, and move steadily away from the incentive game. the only nissan rebates right now are on xterra, sentra, frontier, and pathfinder.

"Name one new model by Nissan or Infiniti that hasn't had incentives or significant discounting within 6 months or less of introduction."

actually, i can name a few. ready?

1. murano
    2. 350Z
    3. G35
    4. altima
    5. maxima (debuted in 3/03)
    6. FX35 & 45

there may be more, but im not sure yet.

altima offers 1.9%, but lots of banks have 2-2.5% now, so i dont consider that an incentive.
  • Thanks for your input about'95-99 Maxima. I will look into it. My friend at work has a '96 Maxima with 225,000 miles and still going strong
  • Thanks for your input about'95-99 Maxima. I will look into it. My friend at work has a '96 Maxima with 225,000 miles and still going strong
  • jg28--I agree with you that the trip computer is very inaccurate. I never get gas mileage anywhere near what the computer say I am getting. I drive my Max mainly to work which consists of about 18 miles of open highway, 12 miles of moderate stop and go, and 10 miles of the type of traffic Chicago is known for...stop and go. With this type of mix I am consistantly getting between 23-24. Just last night it took 12.67 gal for 304 miles of driving equating to 23.99 mpg. I have got as much as 27 mpg on the highway. Since I am cheap I have calculated how much money in gas I would save if I traded the Max in for a hybrid and it is only about $700/year. It would take a much bigger savings than that to give up my Max.
  • Thanks all for your input on the Pilot Sports A/S tires. I will probably go for those. Re the noise - I usualy have the stereo up pretty loud so that should not be much of a factor. Re the ride - Well, the car is stiff now and ride may become more "harsh" with the Pilots but I suppose that is a sacrifice that I'll have to make if I want the wet / dry / snow performance that I have read is the best I'm going to get in that size, (225 50 17). Re the price - if you want the best performer, ya gotta pay. Any tire that size is going to be expensive. I have read that the tire wear is rated higher than the RE92s and I'll get 30,000 out of those,I'm at 28,400 now.
    Drive safe.
  • I changed to the Pilots at 38K on my 00 Max (have about 42K now). Definitely better wet traction, although I don't drive the car much now - it's my wife's. They are a bit louder than the Potenzas.
  • This board has had numerous posters discussing their satisfaction with the '95-'99 max. While I accept the comments on the superiority of the 4th gen max, I've been very pleased with my 2000 with 68,000 miles. Are their any owners of 2000+ maximas with high mileage (over 100,000) that can relate how their 5th gen max is doing?
  • ccermakccermak Posts: 260
    I have 2000 SE 55K miles with no probs other than an O2 sensor a couple weeks ago. Cost = $330 at dealer in MN. Replaced Toyos with Dunlop SPA2 at 40K. The tranny seems confused a lot when driving really aggressive, besides that car is still solid. I plan on going 100K+ before selling.
  • Had my new '04 Max for two months. It's a Black SE w/Frost leather, Driver Preferred Pkg. and Moonroof. Here's my gripe...Nissan cheaped out on the driving lights; they are not Xenon like the headlights (cheezy move to save a few bucks if you ask me). Anyway, is there a way to replace the standard bulbs with the Xenon?? I believe Nissan/Infinity uses the same size Xenons (driving) in other car models. Thanks.
    xenon lamps can be put in if you can find them...and its not a matter of a few bucks...its a matter of about $700-$1000 for a pair. also, VERY FEW cars with xenon lamps have xenon fog lamps as well...actually, i cant think of any...can you?
  • I've got a loaded Silver Mist SE automatic that has 135,xxx miles on it. It has had no significant (other than normal maintenance)issues with the exception of the ignition coils were replaced at 120,000 miles at dealer expense.

I had taken the car in for it's 120k service (it was running perfectly) when I dropped it off. I picked it up the next day, and drove away, about 3 miles later, all the warning lights came on and it went into "limp home" mode.

Took it back to the dealer and he the ignition coils were bad and had to be replaced at a cost of ~$700.

I had them replace them and then asked what could have caused them to go bad all of a sudden when the car was running perfectly when I dropped it off.

His admitted that the coils become somewhat fragile after a long life a lot of miles and the technician probably damaged them when they removed them to replace the spark plugs.

They agreed to cover the repair and I bought a new Murano from the same dealer about a year earlier.

There are some good Nissan dealers out there!