Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Maxima

Comments

• jwisajwisa Member Posts: 6
    I am looking at buying a new Manxima SE in January and I would like to know how long is the lead time to order one.
  • lsflsf Member Posts: 98
    Technically, you cannot order a new Maxima. (or so we've been lead to believe by people in the know in this forum in the past) However, 90 days will be the lead time you're given. In 90 days the dealer ought to be able to locate one like what you want and trade for it with another dealer. How long you'll have to wait really depends on how "conventional" the options you want are. Of course, you may find what you want on the dealer's lot. Good luck
  • norbert444norbert444 Member Posts: 195
    I ran my previous message (#700) through a spell-checker. It changed my BTW to BMW, which I later corrected back. I did not dare to re-run the spell-checker. It changed my "non-subject" in the second paragraph to "on-subject". I missed fixing it back. I really meant "off-subject". *&+=***!!!

A dead give-away of messages all fuddled up is if you see "GEL" in the message. That is what the spell-checker will do to your "GLE" if you let it. LOL ROTF!! Chances are, the rest of the message has been "reworked" to hilariousness by this new system. Whacko, admit you had the site redesigners over for a beer... ;-)
  • blackstone3blackstone3 Member Posts: 29
    I have a 2K SE with 17 inch tires and 4500 miles. Right before I stop the car I hear a thump coming from the left front brake. It doesn't do it all the time and it will do it when the brake are cold and hot. It is difficult to reproduce the sound. My question is do you know if the TSB00016 will cover this problem. Thanks.
  • dukehouston2dukehouston2 Member Posts: 36
    True there was a lot of controversey about ordering a new Max, well I for one did it and it is in my garage right now. Notice I said ORDER not SPECIAL ORDER... ie the Max model you want with the approved color and interior, and approved option packs or lack there of. Figure about 90 to 100 days and the order window is at the beginning of the month. Ordered mine July 6th and picked it up Oct. 15th. The other option is to have the dealer search for what you want, and he most likely will find it, especially if you are in a large metro. area. This ought to bring Joe back if anything can, lol!!! Come on back pal, the storm is over!!!

Duke
    It wasn't too long ago that you were complaining about another participant here being "the" authority. The implication was that you wanted the opportunity to address questions that came up. Now that he is gone, no one has stepped up to answer any of the issues that have been presented. Brian has an engine problem and someone else had/has a stall problem.

You've had your chance to fill the void after Joe left and you either aren't capable or you're unwilling to do so. If you have an interest in maintaining the value of this foum for it's participants than please step up. Otherwise, let's get Joe back in here.

It seems to me that having a Nissan tech particpate in here was a rare benefit that few other forums have. It's a shame that a few participants ruined this for the rest of us.

Anyone still have Joe's email address?
  • borsystborsyst Member Posts: 30
    I never had any kind of thumping. The noise I got from my brakes can be best described as a creeking or groaning noise. I think one other owner in the board said it was like a halloween creepy/creeking door. I think though that when explaining it to your Nissan tech to mention that you are aware of a TSB on the front brakes, and could your problem be related to it. Its amazing that many of these techs aren't even aware of some of these TSB's. When I brought mine in for the brakes TSB, I also brought it in for TCM TSB, and the climate control fan noise TSB, the lead tech I was speaking to hadn't heard of any of them. So it worth bringing up.
  • berbelberbel Member Posts: 167
    That so many previous posters have left this board
    in light of the constant wrangling over personality
    issues that continues to go on here. I have to wonder how many of us can consider ourselves mature
    adults when we continue to bicker with eachother
    like children. Come on people, knock it off and let's get back to the reason we come here to begin
    with....to discuss our cars. P L E A S E!!!!!
  • hzmnntzhzmnntz Member Posts: 2
    others who addressed my query about an owner's comparison of the Max v. Accord/Camry. I'll continue to check this discussion and other resources in making this decision.
  • jsfrost32jsfrost32 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought my '01 max with barely 1K on it. About 2 days ago I started to hear rattling sound from the left front speakers. Does anyone know if Nissan will cover this under warranty. I dont listen to music all that loud and this doesnt speak well for Nissan's quality.
  • max2001max2001 Member Posts: 63
    They should, just make sure that you demonstrate the problem to a technician before you leave the dealership and he agrees there is a problem. or you might get the "could not duplicate" response from nissan.
  • shermaxshermax Member Posts: 31
    Okay, anyone out there use dry gas? Is it good or bad for the Max?

Jack Frost...........ARe you having problems with the Bose or the Nissan speakers? Either way Nissan should take care of it. Good Luck!
  • kkeighkkeigh Member Posts: 3
    I have a 00 GEL with 20000 miles. When I get on it from a stop It will not upshift from 1 to 2 unless I release the gas pedel. The engine just seam to race with my more accelation. Anyone out their have this kind of problem. I had the transmision EMC replace and the survive manager says he can't find this problem
  • L8_ApexL8_Apex Member Posts: 187
    Can we please talk about the car? I'm removing a number of posts that seem to concentrate on more on the mysteries of identities than they do the Maxima. Of course, plain old goofy posts are being removed as well... Jeez...

Thanks,

L8_Apex
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • jonesie48jonesie48 Member Posts: 3
    Is there a way to determine the factory installed options by decoding the VIN?
  • bksobkso Member Posts: 5
    I have a 1996 maxima and been really happy with it until yesterday. It hasn't been really given me any major problems. I have 63000 miles on it and have been serviced at the dealer regularly. Two days ago I have a hard time starting my car. Finally I started it after 5 minutes, but the "CHECK" light stayed on. I took it in to the dealer and the service manager told me that since I did not purchase the extended warranty, I would have to pay for the whole thing---which is some type of emission control/electrical module which will cost me $2500+ parts and labor. Needless to say, I am in shock. He proceeded to tell me that it seems like lately he has seen a lot of 95-97 models which have the same type of problems. But Nissan realized the problem but has not done a massive recall. He said that if I don't fix the problem, my car will be eventually stalled completely when stopping...I wonder if anyone out there had experiemced the same problem I have. I really don't know what to proceed. I think it is terrible to hit with a $2500 bill unexpectedly. THNAKS>
  • canadianclcanadiancl Member Posts: 1,078
    The service manager told you all that BEFORE he even plugged the computer in to do a diagnostic?
    I would go elsewhere to get a second opinion.
  • hookedoncarshookedoncars Member Posts: 2
    As a current owner of a Y2K Max SE and several previous year Maxs, I may be able to shed some light on your problem.

I had a 95 Max that experienced poor or no starting occasionally. One day, the car didn't start at all and I had to have it towed to a Nissan dealer. When attempting to start it, I could hear the starter trying to do its thing, but it just wouldn't fire up. I thought the problem was related to engine flooding or fuel cut off. Anyway, the dealer had a TSB on the problem and it recommended several possible remmedies. Only one of them was covered under Nissan's standard warranty - the computer control module - which I had replaced. My Max had about 42K miles on it when this was done. Also, there is a starter replacement that apparently has more teeth and gives better performance than original factory issue (although they may have started to put this replacement starter on the 96s). There was one other thing they could try to resolve the problem, but I forget what it was and didn't have it done anyway.

Typically, I encountered the problem when my Max was started after having been previously started and run for only a short time (say less than a minute). Example: washing a cold Max in the driveway, then strating it up to put it in the garage. Next start, might have the problem. One thing I remember that the TSB stated was to try holding the gas pedal to the floor and attempt to start it, which is not the normal method of starting. Basically, this method of starting is used for flooded engines. Anyway, the engine control module replacement did in fact solve the problem except for one other instance afterwards, which I resolved by using the flooded engine starting procedure.

Check with your dealer or zone rep concerning this TSB and whether you could be covered or serviced in some way without cost to you. Also, if your situation is similar to mine, maybe try the flooded engine procedure (at home, or have AAA on standby) and see if that helps. Good luck.

hookedoncars
  • bksobkso Member Posts: 5
    Thanks, HOOKEDONCARS & CANADIANCL for the info.
  • jay_75jay_75 Member Posts: 10
    I am having the exact same problem bkso described in post #720, except mine is a 1997 (although I don't think that matters)

Thanks for the posts in response... went to 2 dealers 3 months ago and neither one helped or said they knew anything about this problem showing up in other Maxis. I'm taking it back as soon as I can and I'm going to see what they can/will do.

Thanks again, and I will try to post if my problem is resolved.

(bkso, I would greatly appreciate it if you would also post another message if your situation is resolved.)
  • pateros67pateros67 Member Posts: 19
    I have just over 1K miles on my 2001 GLE. I've seen some posts recommending that the first oil change be done at 1K miles. Others say it's not necessary. I took the car to the dealership & asked for oil change. The shop foreman said they would do it if I wanted it but he also said that it wasn't necessary until 3K miles because of an additive that the dealership put in when they received the car from the factory.

What is the value of doing the first oil change at 1K? Is it necessary? I want to keep my baby in great shape. I love her! (I sure do miss Joe Nissan!)
    According to Joe, Nissan puts no special additives into the oil. Many here have changed their oil after the first 1,000 miles. I waited until nearly 3,000 and put in Mobil 1 myself. If you do it yourself (sounds like you won't) you will find the factory installed filter will not come off easily.

20012kse, did it ever occur to you that gregg has a separate name for home and office? He doesn't try to hide his identity!
  • george2kmaxgeorge2kmax Member Posts: 94
    The reason for doing your first oil change at 1K miles is to remove the break in metal filings from your motor. The oil is still fine, but it has unwanted break in material floating around in it, but it most likely will get filtered out by your oil filter. I did my first oil change at 1000 miles, it can't hurt. It's good cheep insurance and it will make you feel beter and be good for your new Maxima.

George
    VIN does not give you any information on factory-installed options. However, any dealer connected to the Nissan system (which should be all of them) can easily find out which car has what options installed by looking it up electronically.

Furthermore, any changes done to the car, including maintenance, BY THE DEALER, are recorded in the Nissan system.
    Canadiancl,

As I said previously I checked back and found that norbert444 deleted his accusations addressed to me. I said he was very slick and I stand by that. He is here to stir the pot. He has done a great job of doing that so far.

L8 Apex,

Can you disclose if norbert444 and lsf are using the same IP address?

George
  • ludacrisludacris Member Posts: 185
    I'm confused..my parents have a 2000 Nissan Maxima GLE with the Bose sound system. The system includes a woofer in the rear parcel shelf. I listen to bass heavy music (mainly rap), and whenever the bass comes in, an annoying rattling does too. Does anyone know why it rattles/vibrates? As of now, I'm guessing that it's either the childsafety seat restraint hooks or the screen over the woofer. Does anyone know the root of the problem and does anyone else have this problem? Thanks
    Hey, I like your sense of humor. Your user name (phonetically) appropriately describes what has been happening in this conference over the last month, LOL.

Have you cranked it up and opened the trunk to see what might be rattling? I think there might be a cross support for the trunk lid that others have had an issue with. Mine has no such problem, but I do remember this coming up several months ago.
    Ludacris,

I believe their is a TSB related to your subwoofer rattle. Many other people have complained about this. Your dealer should be able to correct this by placing some insulating material between the subwoofer and the rear deck.

George
    I just joined Edmunds townhall a few days ago, and I've read whats been going on and this has been pretty funny lol...anyway, Isf your saying its concerning the structure of the trunk lid? and to george2kmax, what's a TSB? And I'm guessing the insulating material will be installed under warranty? thanks for ur help
    I have a friend in school thats one of those "buy American" people, and he thinks the Maxima's rearend looks like sh*%. When I bring up the Chevy Impala ( which to me has the ugliest rear end ) he says the Impala looks better..what do your guys think?
    Ludacris,

The rattle will be corrected under warranty.

TSB stands for Technical Service Bulletin. This is a bulletin that the manufacturer sends to Nissan service departments to correct problems with their cars. It is not a recall, it is usually only accessible by Nissan service departments, but you can ask then for a copy if you want it.

George
  • camydogcamydog Member Posts: 64
    Ludicris,
    Have you been outside of the car when the bass was cranked up? If not, you may want to try that, also. Have you ever been behind someone at a stop light and heard their car rattling from music? It is usually the license plate frame, and sometimes the trunk lid itself.

If your parents have a license plate frame, that could cause a problem, or the problems stated above by George.

'Bout time we retire this Part 11 and start fresh with cool heads in Part 12.
  • erikgzerikgz Member Posts: 1
    Hey Everybody, First I must say I love my Y2K Max SE. It is my second max (the first was a 97 SE). My first Max was trouble free for 3 years. That is one of the main reasons that I got another Max. Unfortunately I can't say that this one is trouble free. I have had the infamous subwoofer rattle. That was fixed at the dealer. They installed some insulating material, which was under warranty. Since then the Bose system has been terrific. Also a little less than a month after getting my car in April 2000, the sunroof motor decided to die. That was fixed within a week of taking it back to the dealership. They had to wait for the new motor to be shipped but it wasn't a long wait at all. Anyway I still love my Max but I wish the 5-speed was smoother, but that's another post in another forum. I live in Shaker Hts. Ohio and I decided to get snow tires for this season. I have Blizzak MZ-01 tires and they are great! I recommend them highly. The only downside is that they are a little noisier and don't handle quite as well as the Potenza's that came with my Max. But they make up for those shortcomings with excellent snow and slush traction.
    Currently I am having the following problems:
    1. There is a persistent rattle that is emanating from the left rear area of the car. It isn't an obvious rattle but if you turn down the radio and listen it's there. It seems to be coming from the outside, either from the trunk area or left rear wheel area. The dealership (Zarzour Nissan in Willoughby, Ohio) admitted that a technician could also duplicate the rattle but they can't find where it's coming from. They tightened various areas in the trunk and wheel well but it's still there!! ARGH! Can anyone help!
    2. I am having the other infamous Max problem: the passenger A-pillar rattle. It emanates from the area where the pillar meets the dashboard. What remedies are there for this?
    Thanks...............
    Some people in the past reported solving the problem by inserting rubber/foam pieces at various strategic places - but it seems to be a hit-and-miss game...
    thanks for all the help guys..makes me feel better knowing there was a problem with all the cars and not just mine..thanks again :)
    As George pointed out, there is a tsb (I has forgotten about this) which means it is covered by the warranty.

I should have stated the "cross supports/springs that support the lid when it's open." The other thing you can do is open up both rear seats with the trunk lid closed and crank up the tunes. If you lie on your back and examine with a flash light you should be able to locate the problem. But if Nissan covers it....why bother?
  • brian119brian119 Member Posts: 5
    Anyone bored with reading about the subwoofer rattle, stop here.

I, too, have the subwoofer rattle. I brought the car in shortly after I got it. The Nissan techs sorta shrugged their shoulders and said something like "well, if you have a lot of bass power, something's bound to rattle" and that was all they did for me. I eventually figured out that the rattle comes from the back right seat belt housing. If you look in the trunk, on the right side, attached to the same pannel that the woofer itself is attached to, is a white box that houses the coiled seat belt. It rattles. I haven't figured out how to fix it yet. Right now that is the least of my problems. First I need to figure out what is wrong with my engine. After that I'll fix the front right A-pillar creak. Then maybe I'll get to the sub-woofer rattle. Cheers.
    Rattles are a problem but eliminating them has to be done judiciously, in my opinion.

If the elimination is done by someone who is not knowleadgeable about what they are doing - and chances are, the work is given to the most junior fellow in the shop - it can lead to other problems. Example: My old Mitsubishi had some work done to eliminate a door lock rattles. They took the door apart and voila - rattle's gone! Only much later I discovered that they broke the dust (and moisture) seal during the process which led to a horrible inside-the-door mess a couple of years later.

My Maxima's rear end has been fixed after a collision. Rattles ensued. I went back. They eliminated most (or all - I can never be sure) rattles. I watched them doing it and insisted that they put anti-rattling goo behind the plastic board that covers the area around the lid lock hook on the body, because I noticed that there was some goo before but got removed during the previous work. Also, I did not like the way they yanked the bumper cover around.

So, it has been my philosophy to be very cautious about letting "them" do it (or doing it myself) if the job means going beyond a very simple fix.

Just my 2c, stretched beyond limit ;-).
  • oehrleinoehrlein Member Posts: 30
    I had the A-pillar rattle and took my Max to the dealer. As you might well guess they could not duplicate the noise so they never fixed it. This past fall I finally fixed it myself. Actually the creak is there but only so slight it hardly bothers me. By the way it only makes the noise when it's cold.

To fix it you have to remove the A-pillar plastic. Just put your hands on the top and bottom of the plastic and give it a good yank, it will come off. I cut a piece of felt the whole length of the bottom of the A-pillar plastic. You'll have to cut a slit where the A-pillar plastic fits into a slot of the dashboard. You'll have to trim the felt so it's not showing too much. Then lay the felt down and put the bottom of the A-pillar plastic in first then the snap in the top. Give the A-pillar plastic a couple good slaps to make sure it's seated. The only other thing I had to do is make sure the rubber trim fit over the A-pillar plastic. You can buy the felt material at a sewing material store. Good luck.

Semper Fi
  • 20012kse20012kse Member Posts: 15
    Here's the new report about the Nissan Engine.

Nissan's 3-Liter 'VQ' Engine Makes Ward's Ten Best Engines List for 2001

DETROIT, Jan. 3 /PRNewswire/ Nissan's 3-liter VQ engine used in the Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 has been named for the seventh year in a row to Ward's Auto World's Ten Best Engines of the Year award list. The V-6 engine is the only engine in the world to receive the award every year the list has been compiled.

The engine is one of a family of V-6 powerplants produced at Nissan's engine plant in Iwaki, Japan. Also produced there are V-6 engines displacing 2.0, 2.5 and 3.5 liters. The 3.5-liter VQ engine is used in the Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4 sport-utility vehicles.

Reporters and editors from Ward's Auto World and Ward's Engine and Vehicle Technology Update drove 27 cars last year, and considered a variety of performance factors, including power, torque and special technical features in coming to their decisions.

We've said it before and we'll say it again, according to an article in the January 2001 edition of Ward's Auto World. There isn't a better V-6 in automobiledom -- regardless of price.

The fact that the VQ is standard in two very affordable sedans, the Nissan Maxima and the Infiniti I30, only seals the argument that the 3L VQ is one of the world's finest engine designs, the article added.

Ward's evaluators singled out the VQ engine's throttle response, smoothness and the way engineers handled reciprocating mass issues in naming it to the winner's list for the seventh consecutive year.

"Norbert get a life and stop causing trouble."
  • macdaddy5macdaddy5 Member Posts: 5
    HELP! Been looking for new car. Latest finds,2001 max se,loaded,$26,000 price from dealer.2001 max se,20th annv. model,loaded,$28,000.Which one is the best deal?I live in atlanta area. Will the 20th annv. model give me better resale in future?These prices do not inc.t/t,lic.Thanks!
  • macdaddy5macdaddy5 Member Posts: 5
    While I try to decide between the two maximas,can anyone tell me the difference between the max and I-30.Test drove both of them. No big difference in ride quality,I-30 does have better warranty and service(loaner car),a few more gadgets inside,but MAX is cheaper by 2,000.As far as I can determine both cars are the same. What about resale value between the two?thanks,again for your input!
    resale value for the infiniti is most likely higher, considering its a different category
    (near luxury) compared to the maxima (basically family sedan, a sporty, luxurious one at that lol)
    my parents considerd an I30 and Maxima too, they took the Maxima because they ARE the same. biggest difference is the exterior design and servicing. there are minor differences in the I30s interior. to me the Nissan has a great interior with a beautiful waterfall design theme. The I30s is cluttered. 2 things i like about the I30 are the great HID headlights and the electroluminecent gauges inside ( the ones like holograms that are projected and float on the plastic ). but that doesnt justify the 2000 dollar price difference. basically comes down to exterior design preference. good luck
    Most Nissan Service centers have a technician that specializes in fixing interior rattles and installing electronic accessories. That usually means the tech will have more experience at finding and fixing rattles then the tech working on motors and brakes.

BTW: norbert444 just to remind you, you were the one who started making open accusations about me. I don't think I ever addressed you before that. It is laughable that you can now say not to address you when you keep addressing me.

George
    As Ludacris pointed out, the two are virtually identical except for what you see on the outside and things like memory seats on the inside. I believe there is more soundproofing material on the I30, which I would now welcome (especially around the wheel wells which are very noisy when there is water on the road). The 5spd is not available on the I30 as best I can tell. The I30t will drive like the SE and the reg I30 is much more like the GLE.

A Pillar rattle? Is this more like a lttle creak sound that you hear only in the cold and only when the body gets torqued a little?? Oehrlien...did you try to glue the felt to the inside of the plastic cover?
  • eblumeblum Member Posts: 52
    I am sorta glad that others are having this problem. I was the first one to bring this issue up in this forum.

FYI- I wrote to several people at Ward's telling them of our engine problems. I do think that the VQ is an awsome engine and I can not think of another car in this price range to buy...but Nissan gets to hide behind their crappy dealers and not fix their problems (and the others like the stall and 5-speed ones...)

Eric
  • kneehowmakneehowma Member Posts: 17
    I'm looking to buy an 1997 Maxima SE with 122000 miles on it. What maintenance I would have to pay for in the next three years? Does anyone know where to find reliability record and most common repair for the Maxima at this mileage? How much would you pay for the car? It's fully loaded with sunroof and stuffs. Thanks
    Hao!
    There is plenty of help available, so I'll just give you some of my favorites.
    General help in establishing the price is available on Kelly Blue Book site (www.kbb.com), intellichoice -direct link to Maxima below:

http://reports.intellichoice.com/reports/sponsors/IC2/frameset.asp?SPON=ic2&DEFSPON=&PROD=1&REPORT=9742005&TRID=13757978&P1=0&YEAR=1997&MAKE=Nissan&MODEL=Maxima

(click on Valuation when you get there) and this edmunds site (go to Used Cars from Home Page).

As far as your particular car is concerned, get the VIN and go to your nearest Nissan dealer to get a history of that car as it relates to acts done to it by Nissan.

And perhaps pay a mechanic $50 or whatever to look it over for you. This is a worthwhile investment if you are serious about purchasing it.
  • wg45678wg45678 Member Posts: 55
    If you look in the archived portions of this forum, you'll find the fix that others used. The subwoofer is removed and section of an acoustically dampening material is added between the subwoofer frame and the rear shelf to isolate the vibration. I can't remember the name of the material, but some Nissan dealers were doing it and others did it themselves. Seems like there's a Nissan part number to order for the kit. Check the archives.
  • dklaneckydklanecky Member Posts: 559
    I have a 95 Gle with 180K miles on it. It has always been dealer serviced and "adult driven" so it's probably a pretty good example of how good the maxima can be.

The most expensive repair I ever had was to replace the fuel injectors at about 159k($900 at Nissan dealer). I offically had only one bad injector but the labor cost is the same to replace one or all six so I did the six at once.

I also replaced the starter motor at 120k ($350).

It's fairly common to have the 4 sensors replaced oxygen, crankshaft, camshaft, and exhaust,(Each between $150-$200 at Nissan).

Brakes and rotors done at 132k for $350.

Front and rear struts done at 120k for $600.

I still have original exhaust and the car has no rust and other than the leather seats looking a little tired it still looks pretty good.

No one would ever guess it has the miles on it that it does without looking at the odometer.

Does the owner/dealer of your prospective car have any of the service records?